• Published 19th Jul 2017
  • 1,848 Views, 24 Comments

Welcome to Pony Vale - SuperCyclone



A new face appears in Ponyville, and he's a radio show host. But the residents start noticing something strange with his broadcasts. They're coming true! (Inspired by the podcast Welcome to Night Vale)

  • ...
2
 24
 1,848

6 - Deerskin Suitcase

"Ask your doctor if she is you."
-Nurse Redheart


Twilight knocked on the Pony Vale Community Radio Tower's door, and waited for an answer. After a while a mare opened up the door and smiled at Twilight.

"Oh, hello. I'm FrostSpark, I'm a new intern here. Cecil has told me about you, please come in!"

The alicorn followed the mare to the top of the building. She took a look around at the new renovated walls and decor. The walls were painted purple with a white line in the middle, and the cat, Koshekh, was still hovering in the bathroom. She waved at the cat, but he didn't wave back. She didn't expect him to wave back at her, he was just a hovering cat.

They finally arrived at the door, and saw Cecil drinking his coffee. When he saw them he got up from his chair and opened the door for them.

"Hi, Twilight! It's good to see you, how have things been?"

"A bit strange actually," she answered, walking into his room.

"Oh? What do you mean?"

"Well," she started, "After I went home, a mare by the name of Starlight Glimmer stood in front of me, smiling. Then a phone rang, I picked it up, and she was calling me. But the Starlight in front of me wasn't calling me-"

"But the one on the phone was?" He finished her sentence and she nodded.

"She's lived with me for about a year now, and when I went to go find her I asked my friends where she was. But they've never heard of anypony named Starlight before! No one believes me! I've been trying to figure out what the hay has been going on around here, but it just seems impossible to pin point exactly why this is happening to Ponyville."

"Beats me," he responded, "I just report what happens here. So far this has to be the strangest place I've ever been in all my years as a radio show host. But I do believe you Twilight, I don't understand, but I believe that you are right about Starlight. Something must've happened to the citizens to forget such a pony."

"Could...could it have been the glow cloud? I mean, it did some weird things to everypony here. Could it have caused Ponyville to forget?"

"It's possible, but we haven't seen the cloud in about a week. Even so, it's not entirely impossible."

Twilight sighed, "I just don't know what to think anymore, Ponyville is in more chaos then usual. I'll have to do some research. I just hope I don't go all conspiracy nut Twilight mode again," she said with a small smile.

"Heh, it'll be fine. Don't worry to much. How about this: every now and then we can get together and solve his mystery?”

"Sure!" The mare exclaimed, her smile wider than before. "How does tonight sound?"

"I'm free, but I'll have to check in with Station Management. They can be a bit of a pain in the neck sometimes."

Station Management growled at Cecil's response, but none of them heard.


Your existence is not impossible. But it's also not very likely. Welcome to Pony Vale.

The lavender alicorn sat with Spike and the girls at the table while the music played in the background.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, Twilight. I've never heard of anypony named Starlight before." Spike said, tired of answering the question over and over again.

Applejack looked at her friend with concern, "Are you sure you're okay, sugar cube?"

"Yes, I'm just under a lot of stress recently. But besides that I can't believe none of you remember who Starlight Glimmer is!"

They were taken aback by the tone of her voice as Rarity tried to calm her down.

"Now, darling. Please stay calm. I'm sure there's an explanation for all of this."

Before any of them could continue the conversation, the radio interrupted them.

Happy Friday to all of you, Pony Vale! Last night's celebration to the end of Hay & Hay By Products Festival was a success! Many colts and fillies were absolutely blown away by the firework, and booths there at the festival."

"There was a festival?" Rainbow asked as the others shrugged in response.

A lot of Pony Vale's citizens went to the numerous booths that stood by. They were all fantastic and fascinating. Especially the involved ones such as: Ow! What Was That?! And, Hurts Doesn't It? How fun! There were also many balloons there and candy from Pinkie Pie that were absolutely delicious! I wish I could tell you the secret ingredient, but that would just ruin the surprise wouldn't it?

And now, the Community Calendar:

Sunday: there will be sundaes. Where? You'll have to find out.

Monday would like you to leave it alone. It's not its fault you're emotionally unprepared for your professional lives.

Tuesday, Tuesday just is. It is what it is.

Wednesday has been cancelled due to a scheduling error. Again. But we will make up for it next week with Double Wednesday! Mark your calendars!

Thursday is a mare, sitting on a bench feeding the birds. Say hi to Thursday for me, she owes me 20 bits.

Friday: Thank Celestia it's Friday! Or should you thank Luna? Hmmm...

Saturday: .............eat your vegetables.

Pinkie Pie bounced up and down in excitement, "Ooooo! I can't wait for Sunday! I wonder how tasty those sundaes will be?!"

"But we don't even know here it is," Rainbow said, letting down the party pony's enthusiasm.

Dear listeners, something has happened to Pony Vale recently. Something, strange. Stranger than usual, and I'm sure you've noticed as well. There is a mare in a tan jacket. Many residents have seen her, but nopony can remember her or what she looks like. Just that she's wearing a tan jacket, and holds a deerskin suitcase. And she's been spotted all over our lovely town. But nopony can specifically tell us where she's been exactly, or what time of day it was. Just that they saw her. Mayor Mare called in an emergency press conference today to alert the citizens of this strange mare. She thinks that the mare is simply a shared dream. But I know I saw her, Pony Vale. I know what I saw. This mare couldn't possibly be a dream, she was so vivid. Her eyes were...well...her cutie mark was...oh I can just see it, I just can't remember. The mare was clear as air can be, which, technically, you can't see air....yeah forget I said that. She had a tan jacket and a deerskin suitcase. She can't be a dream, can she?

"Weird," Rainbow said, turning to Twilight.

"Who do you think this mare is?" Rarity asked her friends, but none of them knew what to think about the mare.

And now a word from our sponsors.

Is your skin hard and jagged? Are you always standing still? Do you have insects crawling? Are there birds living inside of you? Do you feel yourself blowing in the breeze?
You sound like a tree. A happy tree. A very very smart tree. How do you feel? Are you okay? What plan do you have for our weak species? Please don't hurt us Mr. Tree. Please spare us. Please...

This message was brought to you by Coco Pommel's newest line of fashion. Coco Pommel: What's going to happen to my family?

Rarity blinked a couple of times before responding to the advertisement. “Normally, that would sound odd;however, his voice really does soothe you doesn’t it? Besides, I think I’m beginning to grow to his style of speech.”

Here at Pony Vale Community Radio we love to learn about who listens to us, and their opinions. For example, I’ve recently learned that many of our fellow citizens don’t believe that mountains exist. Applejack, you know, the Element of Honesty, told me the other day that they just aren’t real.

“Ridiculous,” she scoffed as she put her hat over her head. “I can’t believe that anypony would believe that mountains exist? Ain’t it possible that we could be imaginin’ the whole thing? That our small brains could be creatin’ a monster that’s not there to begin with? That our insiignif-insignific-insignifa-“

“Insignificant?” I asked as she nodded her head quickly, “Yeah that word.” That our, that word you just said, is makin’ is believe that mountains are real?”

She then looked up, her orange freckled face stared at something intently. After a few moments her eyes started to water.

“Cecil?” Asked Applejack, you know, the Element of Honesty.

“Yes, Applejack?”

“Cecil I’m staring at the sun right now.”

“Woah, wait Applejack! Don’t do that, it’s bad for you!”

“It’s so beautiful! It’s so beautiful it hurts! Oh! A cloud just blocked ma view, what a relief! Anyways, what was I on about? Oh, that’s right. Mountains? More like nothing’s.”

Twilight blinked a couple times before looking at Applejack with a face of disbelief.

“Are you serious, Applejack. Do you not believe in mountains?”

She scoffed, “Of course I don’t! They aren’t real.”

“What?!” Twilight shouted, “but we see them all the time! I mean, Canterlot IS on a mountain!”

“Maybe that’s what they want ya ta think.”

Twilight was about to answer when the dog spoke on the radio once more.

How About we take a look now at the weather?

Welcome back listeners. So recently, we were asked to alphabetize everything here at our radio station by Station Management; who I have never seen except from the outside of their window, which is just arms and tentacles of darkness. So then I asked my wonderful intern Frost Spark to alphabetize everything in the Station. However, being the most serious intern I’ve ever had, she ended up alphabetizing herself in the process. Now all that’s left is a pile of organs and limbs of a once radio station intern. To the family of Intern Frost Spark, she was a good intern. She will be missed.

I would also like to apologize. It seems the Community Calendar I was given earlier was wrong. Here are the corrections:

Sunday will not have sundaes. Instead it will be donuts. All kinds of the greatest selection of donuts there are! You know which ones I’m taking about. Chocolate, glaze, frosting, leaf, mud water, knives, cat hair, and the thought of having to do that thing that you wanted to do earlier but you never did, because you were putting it off for that other thing. How lazy are you? You’re very lazy. Yummy!

Monday is still the same, so don’t go and cry about it Octavia Melody. I know you wanted to stay at home with Vinyl Scratch and do whatever it is you do with her, but we can’t all have things in life can we?

Tuesday. Tuesday isn’t is. It’s just isn’t what it is.

Wednesday is back on the schedule! So don’t cross it off of your calendar! No, stop it. Don’t cross it out. I see you trying to cross it out, (insert name of person who I’m so obviously irritated at right now).

Thursday, I still want my bits. Seriously, I don’t think I even let you borrow my money. I’m pretty sure you took them out of my pocket when I wasn’t looking.

This Friday will be exciting for our town, dear listeners! Very exciting. So exciting. Exciting.

Saturday...don’t forget your fruits either!

My dear listeners, it appears that Luna’s moon has risen over the peaks of mountains, that is if you even believe in mountains, and night has fallen. I wish you all a goodnight. I hope all of you have somepony to enjoy it with, or at least memories of when you did. Goodnight, Pony Vale. Goodnight.


Twilight trotted toward her door; Somepony was knocking, awaiting on the other side. She opened the door and was greeted by a friendly face.

“Hey Cecil!”

“Hiya Twilight.”

The princess moved to the side and invited him in. When he had thanked her she led him to her library.

“I’ve gotta say Twilight, your castle is a lot bigger on the inside than it is from outside.”

“Yeah, a lot of ponies say that,” Twilight gave a cup of tea to Cecil as she sat down next to him.

“Thank you, Twilight,” he nodded, taking the cup of tea with his paws. “Any luck on the whereabouts of your friend?”

“No luck, she just completely vanished. There’s no trace of her living here at all. It doesn’t make sense. This town has become more chaotic than it usually is.”

“Have you tried informing the Princesses?”

“I have, I sent a letter this morning but I haven’t heard from them yet.”

The princess took a sip from her tea and quickly backed away from it.

“Ow! Still hot! Still hot!”

She put the cup of tea down and sighed, “What am I going to do? I feel helpless, and scared.”

Cecil scooted next to her on the small sofa and brought her head to his chest. She closed her eyes and felt his heart beating against her cheek.

“It’ll be okay, Twilight,” the dog whispered to her soothingly. “We’ll figure out what s going on, together. I promise.”

“Pinkie promise?” Twilight yawned as Cecil just smiled at her.

“Pinkie promise.”

Author's Note:

Hey guys, sorry for not updating in a really long time, but I’ve been busy studying for the semester exams which can only be described as the Nightmare Before Christmas. This chapter isn’t complete but I wanted to give you guys a bit of a preview. Sometime next week I’ll be free finally! And I’ll be able to come back to this story, see you on the flip side!