• Published 3rd Jul 2017
  • 1,809 Views, 41 Comments

Under the Blue Moon (Revised) - Gear Works



Tidal moves to Canterlot to live with his aunt, Principal Celestia, after being bullied at his old school. Can two best friends help him adjust to he new school and open up to the others?

  • ...
9
 41
 1,809

Ch. 8 - Blue Moon Lifestyles

Another school week had finally come to an end. And for Tidal, after returning back to his classes and working a couple of basketball games for Coach Iron Will, he was glad to finally have a break from all of it. Or so he thought. For some reason, he and Lyra got dragged into one of Rarity’s request… at her place.

“I’m glad that you two came to help me with my new project.”

“Project?” Lyra said, raising an eyebrow. “What kind of project do you need help for, Rarity. And why bring Tidal along as well? I never recall you asking for a boy to help you out here.”

“It’s something that I’m working on that Clyde was talking to me about one day,” Rarity explained. “And an idea came to mind. BONNIE AND CLYDE!!! GANGSTERS FOR LIFE!!!”

Blank stares came across their faces as they were looking at a few designs that Rarity was showing to them.

“It’s the gangsters fashion line,” Rarity explained. “It’s old, but bold.”

“You mean something like out of the movie, Dick Tracy?” Tidal asked.

“Something like that.” Rarity looked at her drawings again. “I mean, zoot suits and long coats were very stylish back then. And I was hoping that Bonbon would help out, but since she’s said that she had to help out with her parents, Tidal will have to do instead.”

“Could explain why she decided to bail on us when we needed her,” Lyra whispered to Tidal.

“Because she would be in men’s clothing instead of women’s?” Tidal whispered back.

“Something like that.”

Just then, the front door bell chimed as someone walked in with some rolls of fabric. “Here they are, Rarity. Where shall I place… them…” She stopped and noticed who was in the room. “Oh, hey there Tidal. Lyra. What are you doing here?”

“Being Rarity’s models, Sunset,” Lyra replied. “What are you doing here?”

“Well, Rarity needed some help in picking up her order at the fabric store, and I decided to… volunteer. Fluttershy was able to drop me off outside the house, since she was on her way to the animal shelter.” Sunset looked around. “Is Bonbon around?”

“Let’s just say that she’s… busy this afternoon,” Lyra said.

“Oh, OK. So… where do you want these?”

“Oh, just take them to the back,” Rarity replied.

“Here, let me help.” Tidal was able to grab a couple of rolls from Sunset and took them to the back of the building. Lyra and Rarity followed right along.

Rarity went right to work on the fabric, making the cuts and getting the pinning on both Lyra and Tidal. Sunset was just sitting by, watching Rarity do her work.

“So, where did you come up with this idea,” Sunset asked Rarity.

“We were watching some old movies that Clyde was able to find on TV about gangsters, and the suits and dresses just came to mind. So I started to make the designs and had to make it a reality. But since Clyde is busy with basketball practice, I was hoping that Lyra and Bonbon would be willing to help out. Too bad that Bonbon is busy. But Tidal will just have to do.”

Sunset had a confused look on her face. “Why would Tidal have to do instead of Bonbon.”

“Because she has worn suits at times, and I was hoping she would be of some help. I mean, I didn’t want to drag Tidal into this.”

“But you just did,” Lyra replied.

“Well, you look better in dresses than Bonbon,” Rarity explained. “And I need someone to dress in a suit.”

“I… still don’t get it,” Sunset said.

Lyra let out a sigh and responded. “It’s because some think that we’re lesbians, right? I mean, who comes up with that idea that we’re so close.”

“Now come on. I know you are not lesbians,” Rarity replied. “Some people just think that way, which is so wrong.”

Tidal started at Sunset with a confused look on his face.

“Don’t look at me,” Sunset said with her hands up. “I didn’t start the rumor. In fact, I don’t even see why that would be a problem.”

“It’s because me and Bonbon are so close as friends that some think that…” Lyra stopped for a moment before she responded. “What do you mean it’s not a problem that people think we’re lesbians?”

“Well, back where I’m from, there are more mares than stallions,” Sunset explained, which caused Rarity to come to a halt.

“You mean, more females than males?” Tidal asked.

Sunset placed a finger on her chin. “Three, maybe four to one, I think. I can’t remember. All I know is that two of my teachers at the school for magic were in a relationship with each other, and they were both mares. It was… kind of common where I’m from. I never let it bother me back then.”

Both Rarity and Lyra had blank looks on their faces, which caused Tidal to respond. “Mind… blown.”

“Now that I can agree,” Sunset said. “Perhaps we should… change the subject.”

Rarity was able to snap out of her trance and go back to work. “You’re right. Let’s change the subject. Tidal, how were you able to know about Dick Tracy.”

“The movie? My parents have a VHS copy of it. I can understand the old comic book style that it was created in. The characters, the clothes, the environment… looks very old. But it was a good movie. Worth watching if you can find a copy online.”

Rarity stopped for a moment. “I’ll have to see if Clyde can look it up for me. But first, this.” She went back to work.

“If that’s the case, then maybe you should look up Xanadu. It has a lot of fashion ideas there. And… it’s magical,” Tidal explained.

“Magical?” Sunset said.

“Fashion ideas?” Rarity said.

“Well, they had zoot suits in the movie as well,” Tidal explained. “At least… in a few scenes. Lot’s of designs from several eras and the like.”

“I don’t think I’ve heard of the movie,” Rarity said.

“Well, it’s more of a cult classic than a big hit when it came out,” Tidal explained. “My mother was able to get the special anniversary edition on DVD. Said that she loved the movie when it first aired on TV, but could never find a VHS copy of it. She was lucky to find it when it came out on DVD. Also came with the CD soundtrack to boot.”

“And to think that you were old school in just games. You’re also old school in movies as well,” Lyra said.

“And music,” Tidal added. “But… not many back home were into that kind of stuff. They were more into the current stuff. Another reason I felt like some kind of… outcast.”

“Well, styles come and go,” Rarity explained. “But they are worth remembering and revisiting, even if you weren’t born anywhere near those eras.”

“I’m guessing that it was the magic in the movie that caught your interest,” Sunset said.

“Xanadu? Well, it was a lot of things,” Tidal replied. “The art, the music, a magical love story where dreams could come true. I think it’s best that you see it for yourself to understand. I’ll show you some videos online when I have some time at school next week.”

“I’ll hold you to it,” Sunset replied.

“If it’s a love story, then I have to watch it with Clyde next time,” Rarity said. “Send me a link about the movie so I know what to look for.”

“Will do,” Tidal replied.

“I never would have thought of you to be into love stories,” Lyra said.

“Well, I wouldn’t think of it as a love story in my mind. More of a… magical story. But it each their own,” Tidal explained.

“Speaking of which,” Rarity said, trying to change the subject again, “have you ever thought about asking someone out, Lyra. I mean, to prep for the Spring Fling down the road.”

“Isn’t that a bit early to be asking that?” Lyra asked.

“Well, do you and Bonbon want to be labeled as lesbians?”

Lyra sighed and rolled her eyes at Rarity’s comment. “No. But I don’t know who to ask. And I’m sure Bonbon doesn’t know either. Both of us haven’t even thought of it.”

“Well, maybe you should look into it for once,” Rarity recommended.

“Just be glad that I won’t be there to make a mess of things,” Sunset said. “After all that I have done in the past, I know I’m no longer wanted.”

“Serves you right,” Lyra said, causing Rarity to stare at her. “But, I guess it’s best to lay low for now until the school has finally gain their trust in you… whenever that will be.”

Rarity continued her work on Tidal and Lyra’s new clothes, getting the finishing touches and working on getting them sewn together. When she was finished with her work, she handed them to Lyra and Tidal, who went to separate changing rooms to get changed. Lyra was the first to come out, wearing a belted windowpane trench coat and black wool beret.

Sunset was almost speechless. “Wow. The hat is really… something.”

“It’s a beret, Sunset,” Rarity corrected. “And most artists at school still wear them. It’s a good thing I had one nearby. It looks great on you.”

“You think so?” Lyra said, looking into a mirror.

That was when Tidal came out, wearing a dark pinstripe double-breasted suit with a long split tail behind him and a matching fedora.

“OH… MY… GOD.” Rarity was stunned at the work that she did on Tidal. “You look fabulous.”

Tidal looked at the mirror and did a full spin. “Wow. This looks nice.”

“I’ll say. You look like you’re ready to do some serious business,” Sunset said.

Lyra looked at Tidal and was speechless. Rarity went up next to Lyra and gave her a nudge. “Go on. Say something.”

“It’s just… I don’t know what to say. You look… nice.”

“I should say the same thing about you as well,” Tidal replied, causing Lyra to blush.

Rarity was quick to pull out her cell phone. “All right you two. Stand side by side and strike a pose. I want to get a picture of this.”


Tidal and Bonbon were walking with Applejack down the street on a Saturday afternoon. They were carrying bags of groceries back to the Apple farm. With Granny Smith and Big Mac with the old truck, it was the only option they had. And Bonbon was willing to help out… by dragging Tidal along.

“I still can’t believe that Rarity was able to create a design that would be older than Granny Smith herself… I think,” Applejack explained.

“I still can’t believe that you looked good in that suit,” Bonbon said to Tidal.

“And you had to… miss out on all of it,” Tidal said, staring at Bonbon.

“I’m sorry,” Bonbon replied. “Mother wanted to get groceries for dinner last night. I had to help. Besides, I don’t think I would look good in a suit like that. I mean, the agent suit is fine, but that… I would look silly.”

“I bet that Lyra brought up the lesbian deal in the process, right?” Applejack asked with a chuckle.

“Yep,” Tidal replied. “But I don’t think that Sunset didn’t mind.”

Bonbon stopped for a moment. “What do you mean by that?”

Applejack decided to stop and look at Tidal as well.

“She said that it was… common where she was from,” Tidal responded.

Applejack simply blinked. “You know, I’m not going to even bother with the topic,” and started walking again.

Bonbon went up to Tidal and whispered, “You don’t think our pony counterparts are… never mind,” and started walking again. Tidal followed along.

As they were walking down the street, Tidal started to recognize the area he was in. The group saw some of their classmates walking in and out of one of the stores with some books in hand.

“Looks like the old man’s bookstore is pretty busy this weekend,” Bonbon said.

“I’m guessing that Aunt Luna is keeping the classes that she’s subbing very busy,” Tidal added.

“Well, I did hear that he now has a new security system, and a new safe as well,” Bonbon explained. “He’s hoping that we don’t have a repeat performance like last time.”

“As long as it doesn’t require Tidal here to be a reckless hero again,” Applejack added, staring back at him.

“Noted.”

As they came up to the building, they saw Rainbow Dash and Rivet walk out.

“Hey AJ! Doing a grocery run again?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Eeyep. Got these two helping me.”

Rivet responded. “Hey there Tidal. Bonbon. By the way, Tidal, you were rocking the suit.”

“Rocking doesn’t even define it,” Dash boasted. “He was 20% cooler than most.”

“Even with a fireball spike?”

Rainbow Dash went up to Tidal, face to face. “Don’t push your luck.”

Applejack looked into the store and saw a lot of people in there. “So what’s all the hub bub here?”

“Since the old man opened his store back up, everyone wanted to help out with his business,” Dash explained. “People have been bringing old fiction books to trade for other books in his shop. Some even buying several books to help with his business.”

“It’s been going on this week that he has used books that he needed to get sorted out, but hasn’t found the time to do so,” Rivet added. “We decided to help him out tomorrow while the store is closed for inventory. I was able to finally get the next Daring Do book that I couldn’t get last time, after… that event.”

“Well, it looks like everything is looking up, that’s for sure,” Applejack said.

“Would be nice to see what books they have,” Bonbon said. “But I doubt that we can take food inside.”

That was when Applejack had an idea. “Why don’t you two go on in, and I keep an eye on the groceries out here. Gives our arms a rest for a moment.”

Tidal and Bonbon agreed and placed their bags next to Applejack and went on inside. While the front of the store had more of the new, current books, the rest of the store had shelves of old, smaller books based of the genre of the book. They could see the new cameras that were installed, making it easier for the store to be safe.

“So, is there any books that would interest you?” Bonbon asked Tidal. “You seem to be into fantasy games, right?”

“Well, I’m not sure. I’m not much of a big reader unless it was assigned in class. And I had to do that at my last school so far with some books. Haven’t been given a book assignment in class since I got here, so I really don’t know.”

“Might be best to get a book worth reading, because I know you will have to do one soon,” Bonbon explained. “And I know it won’t be an assigned book in your English class. They try to be best to let you read any fiction book. I think it’s only in our Senior year that all fiction books are the same in the class.”

“Do you have any ideas on what would be worth reading?” Tidal asked Bonbon.

Bonbon made her way to the fantasy section and looked through the shelves of old books. She stopped and pulled out one old book that she recognized. “The Island and the Ring. Can’t believe that it’s still here after I traded it off for another book.” She showed the book to Tidal. “I read this last year for my English class. It’s about a princess who has lost her family and kingdom to some villain, and all she has left that could be key to all this is a ring. And don’t even compare it to Lord of the Rings. It’s nothing like it. I think this will be a book worth reading when the assignment comes up.”

Tidal took the book and said, “Sure thing. I’ll give it a shot.”

They went back up to the counter and went to pay for the book.

“So, I see someone is willing to buy your last book that you gave to me, Bonbon,” the old man said.

“Well, if it’s been there for that long of a time, then it’s time for someone else to own it, right?” Bonbon replied.

Tidal paid for the book and made his way out. Bonbon began to follow, but was stopped by the old man.

“So, is he-”

“Yes,” Bonbon quickly replied. “Somewhat reckless. But his life wasn’t so easy before coming here. Trying to watch over him so that he doesn’t try it again.”

“Well, that night was a wake up call for me with my business. I never thought something like that would happen here. And I didn’t get word until a few days later about what happen afterwards. I hope to never see that happen again in front of anyone. So watch over him the best you can.”

“I’m already on it.” Bonbon started to make her way outside to join the others.

“What was that all about?” Tidal asked Bonbon as they both grabbed the bags of groceries.

“Just some… chit chat. That’s all.”

“Well, I can see that Tidal got a book that you once owned,” Applejack said as they all started walking again.

“I just recommended it after seeing it still there. Helps to get a head start on his reading assignment,” Bonbon explained.

“Well, if that’s the case, then maybe you should get a head start on finding a date to the Spring Fling.”

“Again!?”

“You want to be Lyra’s partner again like last time? That’s how all the lesbian talk started back then.”

“And that was when Sunset was nothing but trouble. I’m guessing that she started the rumors back then.”

“She never had a clue,” Tidal explained. “Remember, it was more common in her world. Didn’t think it was an issue. So there’s no need to blame her about that rumor. And for some reason, Rarity had this conversation with Lyra yesterday.”

“Why do I have a feeling someone wants us to find actual dates,” Bonbon said.

“Rarity’s been on that case with me as well,” Applejack explained. “And while I can’t stand it… she might be right. I’m one who waits for the boy to ask me out. But my, as Rarity calls it, tom boyish attitude can be… intimidating to others, and she thinks I need to make a move on a boy I like.”

“And is there one you do like?” Bonbon asked.

“Not really,” Applejack replied. “I’m just waiting for now. But going back on topic. I’m guessing that since Rarity now has a boyfriend, she wouldn’t mind doing the same with the rest of us.”

“Well, we have seen Rainbow Dash and Rivet together,” Bonbon explained. “Maybe Rarity wants to make sure you girls don’t feel left out.”

“Well, you are in your Junior year,” Tidal added. “This would be your year for prom near the end of the year, right?”

“How would you know that?” Bonbon asked.

“That’s how my parents met. First date was their Junior prom. I think Aunt Tia had a hand in that, but I’m not sure. The only catch is that I can’t go to prom this year unless a Junior or Senior was to ask me out, and I’m still a bit new here. So I’m in no hurry with the dating scene, in case you want to know.”

“Well, after that stunt you pulled weeks ago, I’m not sure anyone wants to date you anyway,” Applejack said, before she decided to correct herself. “Well, not at this time, I mean. I mean, it’s better that they got to know the real you, that’s all. Who you are here. Not the person we learned from the other school. You get what I’m saying?”

“Yea, yea. I understand.”

“Maybe if he was to pull another fireball spike, that could get someone’s attention,” Bonbon said.

“Like that’s ever going to happen,” Tidal replied.