• Published 3rd Jul 2017
  • 1,800 Views, 41 Comments

Under the Blue Moon (Revised) - Gear Works



Tidal moves to Canterlot to live with his aunt, Principal Celestia, after being bullied at his old school. Can two best friends help him adjust to he new school and open up to the others?

  • ...
9
 41
 1,800

Ch. 1 - Blue Moon Transfer

The winter holidays were starting to come to an end in New Hampshire, and it was in the Blue’s house that Celestia was spending her extended winter break with his adopted brother, Sky Blue. He was a well known weather caster in the northeastern area, and one room was where he did all of his work. He witness the multiple thunder-snow event a couple of years ago, which was the talk of the town when it happened. And the articles that hanged on the walls proved that.

It was also here that he was able to settle down with his wife, Ocean Wave Blue, a friend and classmate from Canterlot High, and three time Olympic gold medalist in the 1500m freestyle swimming event, to which she still holds the world record that she earned on her third trip to the Olympics. She now works as a swim teacher during the summer ad plans the swim teams for future Olympics.

But Celestia’s trip here wasn’t some family trip. Instead, she was sent over to deal with a problem that involved their son, Tidal Wave Blue. During the fall semester of his sophomore year, he was being picked on more often… by the whole school. It wasn’t noticeable during his freshman year, but when the calls started coming in, they though he was targeted because of his parents’ status. But after making a call, Celestia came over to find out the reason for Tidal’s actions. And it had a reverse effect that her school once experienced months ago.

Celestia and Sky went to his personal office room to relax after finishing Christmas dinner and talk about what is going to be done for Tidal’s future.

“So, you think my son will have a better chance to get his life around at CHS.”

“I know he will, Sky. And I have some students in mind that could help him overcome his own problems.”

Doubt started to come across Sky’s face. “I’m not so sure. Didn’t you say that there was an explosion months ago during the Fall Formal?”

“Just some stupid prank that someone pulled at that time. But it’s been dealt with.” Celestia was lying about that part because she wasn’t sure that he would understand that it was magic from one of her students who caused the damage. “Besides, you and Ocean both graduated from CHS. Wouldn’t it be fine if he did the same?”

Sky did some thinking about that, and remember an event that her sister had to deal with. “Remember when you wanted to hold the first ever Friendship Games with Crystal Prep? It almost didn’t happen when someone from our school stole a small statue from their school after they decorated the horse statue as a prank.”

“Just be glad that Luna helped in solving the mystery when it happened.”

Just then, Ocean Blue came walking in.

“Tidal’s starting to pack for the trip to Canterlot.” She sat down to join the others. “It’s just a shame that he had to go through all this. He deserves better.”

“I promise you, he will,” Celestia explained. “My sister has already received the school records and handed them to the superintendent so that he can be enrolled into Canterlot High as a transfer student.”

“By the way, how are her children doing?” Sky asked Celestia.

“Doing fine so far. Besides attending gaming tournaments over the summer, there hasn’t been any problems. Cadence has already been watching over Eclipse at Crystal Prep so that nothing bad happens.”

“That’s good to hear,” Ocean replied.

Celestia started to think about what Tidal would be needed when they get to her home. “Is Tidal bringing his laptop along?”

“He wanted to download the games that he would like to play before putting it away,” Ocean explained. “Wanted to put those gift cards to good use.”

“Then I can assume that he’ll have his 3DS unit as well?” Celestia asked, to which she nodded. “Maybe he can spend some time with Cynder while he’s there. I know he needs to focus on school work, but he needs to be able to have some fun with others.”

“I just wished that he wasn’t picked on the way he did,” Ocean explained. “I hope nothing bad happens while he’s at CHS.”

“I told Sky this, and I’ll tell you as well. He’s going to do fine there. I promise.”


After being on the road for a couple of days, Celestia was back at her old home in Canterlot with Tidal in tow. It was a bit cold, but not as cold as it was in New Hampshire. Both of them got out of her car and made their way inside, bring their luggage along. Celestia pointed out to the guest room that Luna once had before moving to her new home with her adopted son and daughter. This was now Tidal’s room. As he was getting settled in his room, the doorbell rang, causing Celestia to go and check to see who was at the door. When she opened the door, she was met but a minty girl who was all bundled up.

“Lyra! What brings you here?”

“Oh, we were just taking a walk around the area when we saw you pulled up,” Lyra said cheerfully.

“We?”

That was when a cream skinned girl with blue and pink hair, also bundled up, came running up, trying to catch her breath.

“Lyra! Can you at least slow down. I can barely keep up.”

“Oh come on, Bonbon. You wanted to see the new kid as well.”

“Is that why you came here?” Celestia asked. Still with her coat on, she stepped outside and closed the door behind her. “That’s my nephew, Tidal Blue. He’s just settling in at the moment. He’s… been going through some rough patches right now, but he will be attending our school starting next semester.”

“What kind of problems?” Bonbon asked.

Celestia let out a sigh. “The short version, dealing with bullies. He was born with a learning disability, so he has a hard time with classes. Some students used this to pick on him.”

“Might as well keep him away from Sunset, that’s for sure,” Lyra said, remembering what happened at the Fall Formal.

“By the way, has she been causing any trouble while I was gone?” Celestia asked the girls.

“Not really,” Bonbon replied. “It looks like the girls are keeping an eye on her a lot.”

“Well, I guess that fine for now.” Celestia thought, ‘I hope they can help Tidal open up at his new school.’

“Since Tidal’s going to be attending CHS, do you think we can give him a tour of the school before classes begin?” Lyra requested.

Celestia took a moment to think about this. ‘I was thinking about having Sunset give the tour, but it might be best to talk to sis about how she’s doing before taking those measures.’

“I guess it wouldn’t hurt,” Celestia said. “I’ll keep you posted on a good time and day to do so. I would like to do it before everyone goes back to school.”

“Cool,” Lyra replied. “Well, we hope to hear from you later.” She started to run off to the sidewalk.

“And there she goes again.” Bonbon started to catch up with her. “Hey Lyra, wait up.”

“Oh, one more thing?” Bonbon stopped to look back at Celestia. “He’s only 15, so you might have to drive him there if you like, unless you want to walk him there.”

“I see! Thanks for the head’s up!” Bonbon went back to catch up with Lyra.

Celestia went on back inside so that she could warm up. That was when she saw a sea green boy with dark blue hair and hazel eyes, wearing a dark blue t-shirt with ocean waves on the bottom and a small crescent moon near the left shoulder, blue jeans, and gray shoes.

“Who was that?”

“Oh, just a couple of students who live in an apartment complex nearby. They were willing to offer you a tour of the school later one before we start.” She noticed the shirt he was wearing. “I see you have Aunt Luna’s shirt that she sent you on your last birthday.”

“Yea. Just felt like changing shirts when I got here,” Tidal explained. He went back to his room to finish up what he was doing.

Celestia started to think for a moment. ‘I think those two have Geometry as their homeroom. I know he’s taking that class this year. Maybe it will be easier if they can help out with his problems.’

She went to grab her cell phone and decided to call her sister, Luna, to see if she can get Tidal to take the same Geometry class with them. Since Luna has yet to finalized his schedule, she made sure to put that on her to-do list for tomorrow. Celestia also asked for an update on Sunset and learned that she has been staying in the shadows for some time. This did not bide well, since Princess Twilight Sparkle wanted to leave her here to learn the meaning of friendship and make up for what she has done. Now that she was up to date with what has happened when she left, she hanged up and started to plan her next move for Tidal’s recovery


It was the day before New Year’s Eve, and Tidal, who was finally settled in decided to take a walk outside. Grabbing his winter coat and letting Celestia know that he was going for a walk, he left the house started to walk down the sidewalk and towards the outskirts of downtown Canterlot. He passed by the school that he would be attending, looking at the horse statue that was in front. He could see that this school wasn’t like the one back home. Even the top of the school was different than most schools. Just seeing the glass dome told him that the library would be up there. He would know this because every school always puts the library on the second floor.

He went on and started to go by some of the shops that were still busy. He knew that it would be very active tomorrow night, which is why he wanted to get a feel of the city before that time. He came up to a cafe called “The Sweet Shoppe” and decided to go in and get some hot chocolate for once. He went in and walked up to the counter, only to be met by a pink girl with puffy pink hair.

“Hiya! What can I get for you today?” she said in a cheerful voice.

“Just a hot chocolate, please,” Tidal requested.

“You want marshmallows with it?”

He just shrugged his shoulders and said,”Why not.”

The girl went on over to fix some hot chocolate for Tidal and came back to him really fast. “Here you go.”

Tidal paid the girl and took a sip, which was just right for him.

“Say, I don’t think I’ve seen you here before. I know just about everyone here and keep up with everything about them, but your face is new to me.”

“I just moved here earlier this week to live with my aunt,” Tidal said. “She’s the principal of Canterlot High, so I’ll be attending there at the start of the semester.”

The girl’s eyes went wide. “Cool! I go there as well. My name’s Pinkie Pie.” She extended her hand for Tidal to shake, but shook his hand really fast before letting go. “I know that Vice Principal Luna has adopted two kids, one of which attends our school. And there’s that one nephew that my friend Rarity doesn’t want me to name because of what happened to her during her freshman year. But it’s nice to meet you anyway.”

“Well, it’s nice to meet you too,” Tidal said. “Not sure if we’re cross paths again, but whatever.”

He went off with his drink and found a booth near the window so that he could see what was going on outside. Just watching what went on outside just made him feel calm, just being by himself. He would usually avoid anyone from his school when they were outside because of the way they would treat him. But since he was in a new city, and judging how Pinkie Pie reacted towards him, hopefully, they wouldn’t know about his past actions. But he knew that he would be seeing on boy there that was always self centered.

‘Can’t believe that Blueblood is attending the same school that I’ll be attending,’ he thought. ‘He always cares about his good looks, that’s for sure. Maybe it will be better than that bitch and her boyfriend that just couldn’t leave me alone. But they got what they deserve, along with the school, that’s for sure.’

Tidal took some more sips before he recognized a familiar face walk in. She had purple skin and dirty blonde hair and was wearing her turquoise coat with her. She saw Tidal and waved to him before joining him.

“Hey Cynder.”

“Hey Tidal. Mother told me that you made it here days ago.”

“Yea,” he replied, not feeling sure about himself. “What brings you here?”

“Oh, I was with Eclipse, going to the game store when I saw you sitting next to the window. I figure I check up on you and see how you were doing.”

Tidal was a bit hesitant. “I’m… getting by, that’s for sure.”

Cynder got serious for a moment. “Look. Mother told us what happened back at your old school.”

“And what was that,” Tidal asked, being curious.

“That a couple of bullies gave you a hard time and found a way to get some other students against you. Am I correct on that?”

“Close,” Tidal replied. “More like the smartest girl in my class and her star quarterback getting on my case.”

“Sounds like someone else I know,” she mumbled to herself.

“What was that?”

“Oh, nothing. Nothing to worry about. So, did you get the game cards we sent you?”

This slowly brought a smile on his face. “Yes. Yes I did. Already used them on my Steam account and bought most of the Final Fantasy games that were on sale. Now I have three through nine in my collection. Just wish they could do one and two on there. I did find some cheep games that were made with RPG Maker that have really good reviews.”

“You were always the one who like the classic and simple ones,” she replied.

“Only way for me to escape this world I live in.”

“Now don’t say that. You’re better than that.” Cynder leaned in closer. “Look. I’ve been hearing that they are planning a retro gaming tournament this summer. Maybe you can make a name for yourself, since you like that kind of stuff.”

“Do you know the details?”

“Not yet. I think they are looking into it for now. But if I hear more about it, I’ll let you know.” She looked out the window and could see someone on the other side of the street waving to her. “Oh, there’s Eclipse. I better head off.” She scooted out of the booth and stood up. “It was nice to see you again. And don’t worry, Canterlot High will be a much better school than your old one. I promise.” She started to leave the cafe, waving back to him until she was outside.

‘Well, maybe it will be better for me, since she’s goes there,’ he thought.

He soon then noticed a group of girls walking on in and greeting Pinkie at the counter. Each girl looked so different from each other. One of them looked like a cowgirl or farm girl with the hat she was wearing, not to mention the yellow ponytail. Another girl look like the total opposite, with her purple hair and beautiful looks. The third girl had rainbow hair and full of energy. Not as much as Pinkie Pie, but enough. The fourth one looked like the quiet type with her bright pink hair. And the last one in the group had fiery long hair and a black leather jacket. She was trying to avoid any attention from the others that were in the cafe, which made him wonder about her, not to mention the others.

He decided to set it all aside and just look back out the window while taking a sip of hot chocolate. He could hear the group of girls talking as they were coming his way. The girls took the booth behind him while waiting for Pinkie to bring their drinks. And Tidal was able to hear what they were talking about, even though he didn’t really care about it.

“So, almost all of us are going to Pinkie’s party tomorrow night, right?” the farm girl asked.

“Yep. Already ask Rivet to come along,” the rainbow haired girl explained.

“You’ve been hanging out with that boy since he got here, Dash,” the purple haired girl explained.

“Well Rarity, he did let me play his guitar,” Dash replied. “And I’m trying to find the next Daring Do book for him to read, but I haven’t seen a copy at the old man’s bookstore.”

“I’m guessing it’s related to his class, since Vice Principal Luna is covering the class for some time,” Rarity explained. “Clyde’s not sure if the original teacher would ever return.”

‘Is Aunt Luna teaching this time?’ he thought. ‘Maybe she’s just subbing for now.’

“Let me guess. He’s coming to the party as well, right?” Dash asked.

“That’s right,” Rarity replied. “Even Swift is coming as well.”

“Yea. No doubt he’s trying to hook up with Pinkie. But he hasn’t had the courage doing so,” the farm girl replied.

“Applejack. How come you haven’t even bother finding someone anyway,” Rarity asked.

“Because I’m always busy on the family farm,” Applejack replied. “Now’s not the time to be looking for love. Not like the way you keep looking at Clyde.”

“Hey. Just be careful that you don’t distract him, ok? We’ve been doing so good on the boys’ basketball team with him and Swift around,” Dash explained.

“That’s because you’re on the team as well,” Applejack replied.

“Say. Fluttershy, you’re coming to the party as well, right?” Rarity asked the shy girl.

“Um, I’m still not sure if I feel like coming.”

“Come on, Fluttershy. You need to get out more,” Dash explained. “What about that one boy that you have just met?”

“Oh, he’s just a friend who was able to help out at the animal shelter, that’s all,” Fluttershy replied. “I’m not sure if he’ll be there or not.”

“Well, we can guess who won’t be there at all?”

Everyone looked at the fiery haired girl who said that.

“We know that the school has yet to accept you after what you did back then, Sunset,” Rarity explained. “Just give it some time, and I’m sure someone will forgive you for what you did.”

When Tidal heard about this, he started to think. ‘I’m guessing I’m not the only one who had the school against me. But why do they still stay with her?’

Sunset leaned in to whisper to the other girls. “I turned in to a fiery demon that wanted to take over the school. I almost tried to kill each of you in the process, remember?”

Tidal was able to make out what she was saying. ‘A demon? Now this is getting weird.’

“We know,” Dash replied. “But Twilight gave you this chance to redeem yourself. Like she said, just give it some time.”

Tidal wasn’t sure what to make of all this. It was something that would come from a storybook and nothing more. He took one final sip of hot chocolate, emptying the cup, and decided to get up and head on back home. But as he was on his way out, he came across Pinkie Pie holding a tray of drinks for the other girls.

“Oh Tidal. I was wondering if you had a chance to tour the school, since it’s a big school and you’re new here.”

“Well, my aunt was able to get two girls who live nearby a tour of the school the day before,” Tidal explained.

Pinkie started to think who it was, then found out the answer herself. “Oh, you mean Lyra and Bonbon. They live close to the principal’s home. Lyra is always energetic and Bonbon is a sweetheart, but both of them are really nice and know each other well. I think you’ll like them. Well, see you at the start of school.” Pinkie went back to making her delivery to the girls’ table while Tidal went on back home.

Pinkie started serving the girls’ drinks before finally taking a break to join them.

“Hey Pinkie. Who was that boy you were just talking to?” Applejack asked.

“Oh him? That’s the principal’s nephew, Tidal Blue.”

This nearly got Rarity’s attention. “Another cousin? I thought the sisters had one distance nephew in their family. He’s not like… you know who, is he?”

“I don’t think so,” Pinkie replied. “He just moved here earlier this week. But he doesn’t act like that other boy you had to deal with. Cynder was just here talking to him.” Then an idea came to her. “I know. How about we have a ‘Welcome to CHS’ party for him when he shows up.”

“For a moment, I though you wanted to invite him to your party,” Applejack explained.

“That’s silly. It’s a little late to add him to the party last minute. Otherwise, I wouldn’t get everyone to help out while we’re there.” Then another idea came to Pinkie’s mind. “Hey, how about we talk to everyone that shows up and give them a heads up about the new kid coming to our school.”

“That sounds like a fabulous idea,” Rarity replied. Then she had an idea and looked at Sunset. “Maybe you can be friends with him. He doesn’t know anything about your past, which could help you redeem yourself as well.”

Sunset took a moment to think about this. “I guess it wouldn’t hurt. But what if he finds out about my past and doesn’t want to be my friend?”

“Not going to happen,” Applejack replied. “We’ll make sure no one brings it up until you meet him in private, just to be safe.”

That was when Fluttershy decided to object. “Um, what if he doesn’t want a party. He doesn’t know anyone at school, except for Cynder.”

“Since she lives with Vice Principal Luna, I can get in touch with her and see if it would be fine with them,” Rarity explained.

Pinkie started to get excited. “Oh this is going to be so much fun. We get to introduce the new kid in the middle of the school year, and Sunset will finally have a friend that she can be with.”

The girls huddled together and begin planning what could be Tidal’s welcoming party.