• Published 5th Oct 2017
  • 1,317 Views, 102 Comments

Adventures in the Weather Patrol - Blade Star



Now working for the Weather Patrol full time, Lizzie tells a few stories about crazy weather and sometimes even crazier ponies.

  • ...
4
 102
 1,317

Chapter 1 - A Trip Up North

Gliding down from the cloud, I soon found myself back at the cottage. Heading inside, I found that Fluttershy was already up and about. She was busily making breakfast in the kitchen, a spoon in her mouth as she tried to fish out a couple of boiled eggs to go with the toast she was making.

“Morning, Fluttershy,” I called out as I trotted in. Once upon a time, that would have made her jump out of her skin. Nowadays, it just makes her start slightly. She turned round to face me, spitting the spoon out so that she could talk without sounding muffled.

“Oh, good morning, Lizzie,” she replied sweetly, with a small smile. “How was your morning workout?”

“Not too bad,” I replied with a shrug of my shoulders. “Although I think I might want to try adding in a few more manoeuvres when I’m lower down. Half the time that’s what you need in weather work. Maybe I could try heading around Sweet Apple Acres sometime.”

“I just hope you take care of yourself up there,” Fluttershy said as she set out our breakfasts. I smiled again at sat down at the nearby table.

“Oh c’mon, Shy, you know me. I’m always careful up there.” Since the day we first met, Fluttershy has always been a touch maternal around me.

I remember when we first arrived, while Mum and Dad were just worried and Bones was excited as hell, I was just plain scared stiff. When we first ran into the ponies, I froze up. Fluttershy walked over to me and hugged me, doing her best to make me feel better. And, to be honest, she did. That’s partly why I ended up staying with her. I don’t know why, but even then, something told me that I could trust her.

My thoughts were cut off by a sudden stamping sound next to me. Looking down, I saw Satan’s little lap dog. Fluttershy looks after plenty of animals, but her only pet is Angel Bunny. Never has an animal been less aptly named. That rabbit is mean as hell. Luckily, being a rabbit, he’s not that dangerous or scary. Still, he can be really annoying at times, and it doesn’t help that Fluttershy always caves in to him.

Angel was sitting right next to my chair, glaring up at me indignantly. The noise I’d heard was him stamping his foot to get our attention. He can’t speak, but his expressions and gestures usually allow him to get his message across. This one was fairly obvious.

‘I want food!’ he demanded, pointing angrily at my own egg and toast.

“Fluttershy will feed you in a minute, Angel,” I replied. This was not a satisfactory answer.

With a few short hops, the little white rabbit had leapt onto the table and quickly grabbed a round of toast from the rack where it was cooling. Then he jumped past Fluttershy and made a run for the living room to eat his ill-gotten meal.

“Angel!” I exclaimed angrily. “Bring that back here now!” I was about to get up to chase the little bugger down when Fluttershy stopped me.

“Oh leave him be, Lizzie,” she implored. I rolled my eyes.

“You can’t keep letting him get away with things like that, Fluttershy,” I replied as I sat back down again. “He needs boundaries.”

Despite all my efforts since I got here, at times, Fluttershy spoils Angel rotten. Although I think he was probably that way when she got him. While she’s gotten better at standing up for herself, she still struggles to put her hoof down when it comes to that rabbit. It baffles me sometimes, I mean, I heard that once she chewed a huge dragon out so bad that it cried! And don’t even get me started on that stare thing she can do; trust me, that thing’s bad ju-ju.

Still, the world’s most evil rabbit had made his escape and was now, no doubt, sitting on the couch, covering it in crumbs as he wolfed down his meal. At least the rest of the animals are nice.

The two of us talked over breakfast, mainly about what we’d be doing today. Fluttershy was planning on cleaning out the hen houses and heading into town to buy some more bird feed. Big Mac was supposed to come by later to help with a couple of repairs that needed doing too.

As for me, I was off to meet up with the rest of the team this morning. We’d get our assignments and set to work. I was betting that today would be fairly quiet. We’d had a pretty big rainstorm last week, and the weather schedule was pretty much clear all week. So it would just be a case of keeping things in line and busting up any renegade clouds, with maybe a bit of training thrown in for good measure.

As I finished up my coffee, I heard the cuckoo clock pipe out the half hour. I needed to be at the office by nine, so it was time that I got going.

“Right,” I said, getting up from my seat and depositing my plate and cup into the sink. “I’d best be off, ‘Shy. I’ll be around town if you need me and I should get back around half five.”

“Okay, Lizzie,” Fluttershy replied with a nod. “Have fun out there.”

Heading for the front door, I grabbed what little I needed to take with me to work. I grabbed my saddlebags, which held my lunch and a basic first aid kit, my flying goggles, and my maroon coloured flying scarf to keep warm at higher altitudes. Lastly, for good luck, I clipped onto my scarf a small brass Royal Flying Corps badge; wings under a crown with 'RFC' in the centre. Great-Great-Uncle Algernon flew Camels with 266 back in the day, and it seemed appropriate to wear it.

“Bye, Fluttershy,” I called out as I went out the door.

“Bye, Lizzie,” came the reply.

With that, I headed out. And with a running start I took off into the sky.


The flight up was a fairly easy one. Like I said, this early on, the skies were pretty much clear, not that Ponyville’s airspace ever gets that busy, and visibility was perfect. I was heading into town to meet up with the rest of the team.

Ponyville’s Weather Patrol is quite a small group, so small in fact that we don’t actually have any offices, or a building. We tend to meet up somewhere above Ponyville, settle down on some cobbled together clouds, have our morning briefing, and then get to it. Unless it’s still raining of course, then we all meet up in the local café or something to keep dry for a little while. Today though, we’d be out in the open air, so as I headed to Ponyville, I began looking for an extra large, out of place mass of clouds. As I flew towards town, I began to whistle to myself and stunt a bit for fun.

Before long, I spotted our meeting place, not too far from town hall, a couple thousand feet up. As I drew closer, I saw that there were already a few ponies there.

Now, let me introduce you to the other guys on the team.

The first pony I ran into when I landed was Thunderlane, one of only two stallions of the team. He’s one of the more experienced flyers; a graduate of the Wonderbolt Academy with five years of weather work under his belt. As a rule, our team is fairly informal, but we all have ranks, my own being Patrol Officer. Thunderlane however, is a bit more senior. As the team’s second in command, he carries the rank of flight sergeant. As such, a lot of ponies affectionately refer to him as ‘Flight’. He’s got a dark grey coat not too dissimilar to Bones, with a prominent silvery grey Mohawk mane, and his cutie mark is a storm cloud with a lightning bolt.

After that was Flitter. She’s also a bit of an old hoof when it comes to weather work, although she doesn’t have as much experience as Thunderlane. She’s still a pretty talented flyer though, although Rainbow is forever telling her to take out that ribbon she wears in her mane when we’re doing storm of high wind work. I get the impression that she kind of has a thing for Thunderlane, and she also earns a few extra bits babysitting Rumble for him from time to time.

Then there’s Cloud Chaser, one of the more…eccentric members of our little group. She looks a little bit like Flitter, with a similarly greyish blue coat and a light blue mane and tail. Unlike her sister though, her mane has a much spikier style to it, along with some white highlights. Those two are like opposite sides of the same coin. Unlike Flitter, Cloud Chaser is a bit headstrong at times and takes risk I certainly wouldn’t. Still, she’s a good pony to have on the team as she’s remarkably skilled when it comes to thunder clouds.

The other stallion on the team is the new kid, Dewdrop. I actually got him the job myself. He’s new to both Ponyville and the Weather Patrol, having moved here a few months ago from Las Pegasus. He’s got a turquoise coat and blond coloured mane and tail. He’s a year or so younger than me and just a bit shy as well. I spend a fair bit of time with him on my wing, teaching him and keeping an eye on his work, although he is getting pretty good now. After all, he survived tornado duty, and even saved my skin once. He also has a proper crush on me. We’ve been out for coffee a few times after work, which has been more than enough to get my mum’s attention. I do like him, I’m just not ready to admit it to the whole of Equestria yet.

Now, normally, there would have been one more pony here, usually the first one there waiting for everypony else. Today though, Rainbow Dash, the captain of our patrol, was nowhere to be found. Alighting on the cloud, I asked the obvious question.

“Hey guys,” I greeted as I folded in my wings. “Where’s RD at this morning?”

“She’s gone with Princess Twilight up to the Crystal Empire,” Thunderlane explained. “I guess Princess Cadence must have had her foal.”

“So are you in charge today then, Flight?” I asked. He nodded.

“Just for today,” he said. “Don’t worry, there’s nothing major today, and Dash left me instructions.” He showed me a few sheets of paper and a couple maps, annotated in RD’s writing.

“So what are we doing today then?” Flitter asked, eager to start. Thunderlane glanced through the notes he had.

“Right,” he began. “Flitter and Cloudchaser, you guys need to head out on patrol over town. The humidity’s been all screwy the past couple of days. Take a look around and see what you can find out.

“Lizzie, take Dewdrop with you out towards the Everfree Forest and keep an eye out for renegade storms or ground fog. Anything that blows in, you kick it back to where it came from. Got it?”

“Yes, Flight,” I answered with a nod.

“Okay, Thunderlane,” Dewdrop said a little meekly.

“Fine, and I’ll be on high lookout today. Any problems or changes to assignment, you’ll hear it from me. Everypony happy? Any questions? No? Okay then, get to it.”

With that, the five of us parted. Flitter and Cloud Chaser headed west to start a circuit of the town, while Dewdrop followed me east back towards home and the Everfree’s border with Ponyville. Thunderlane meanwhile, boomed and zoomed upward to get a better lie of the land.


With Dewdrop following close behind, the two of us headed out for the Everfree Forest. It wasn’t too long of a flight there, but it was a bit annoying having to go back over my own tracks. If only ponies could invent mobile phones and instant messaging already! Still, it did give me a couple of opportunities. Passing over some woodland, I turned back and called to Dewdrop.

“Hey, Dewdrop!” I shouted, catching his attention. “How about a quick obstacle course before we hit the Everfree?”

I gestured to the trees below us. Manoeuvrability is one of the most important things needed if you’re doing weather work. In heavy storms or rain squalls, you need to be able to avoid both clouds and each other, while getting on with your job. That means quick reflexes, good straight line speed, and the ability to change direction or even hover at a moment’s notice.

One of the ways Rainbow suggested I practice this when I was first learning to fly was to weave between trees. In woodland, the patterns are pretty random and the gaps between them can get very tight, so it makes for good practice.

“S-sure. If you think it best,” Dewdrop called back to me. I nodded and leaned to the right. Dropping my wing, I began to sideslip downwards. Before long, we were a mere six or seven feet off the deck. Dewdrop pulled up alongside me.

“Okay, Dewdrop, it’s the same as last time,” I instructed. “Follow my lead as fast as you can. Be ready to go to knife edge if you need to and watch for me breaking hard. Other than that; don’t hit the trees, and you’ll be fine.”

With that, I put on a burst of speed and moved in front of him. Dewdrop was to keep station about six feet behind me and follow me exactly. We quickly began to close on the patch of woodland.

“Right. Ready, steady, go!” I called out and accelerated hard.

The trees now rushed up at a much greater pace. My first move was to jink to the right, and then the fun started. The trees were very, very close together at times. But I had to keep both my direction and speed constant, without climbing out of the trees. It kind of reminds me of that speeder bike scene in Star Wars, with the same result if you buck it up.

My heart was going a mile a minute as the two of us shot through a small clearing. Between the adrenaline and the effort you're using to keep your speed up, it makes for good mental as well as physical exercise.

Finally, I saw open fields ahead of me. Shooting out into the open air, I climbed up and barrel rolled in celebration at my near perfect run. I’d tapped the odd branch here and there, but nothing major.

Turning around, I waited for Dewdrop. He emerged a few seconds after me, looking a bit the worse for wear. He’d not exactly crashed, but his left wing had picked up a branch, and I knew that he’d climbed out of the trees at least once. He climbed up to me, huffing and puffing all the way. If nothing else, it will help him build up his endurance. I smiled as he drew level with me and hovered.

“Not too bad, Dewdrop,” I said kindly. “But you need to stay in the trees. You can bail out here, but if you get stuck between two other flyers and a bad thunder cloud, you’re going to need the skills to fly your way through it.” Dewdrop tried to catch his breath before responding.

“Okay…okay, Lizzie,” he said. “I’ll try harder next time.”

“Good,” I said with a smile. “Now come on, we’d best make a start on our patrol route.”

Climbing a little, the two of us settled down to a gentle cruise over to the Everfree. In all honesty, this is one of the easiest assignments you can get around here. Usually. As a rule, Everfree weather stays inside the forest, just like all the animals do. So patrolling the area just means a leisurely flight along the perimeter until your shift ends. However, on the rare occasion something does try to break out, it can be a real problem.

Unlike normal weather, storms from the Everfree don’t respond to normal means of control. It’s much more like weather back on Earth. The only way to beat it back is to get a competing weather front going and divert it back into the forest, and that needs a lot of ponies. Still, when we arrived it looked pretty quiet; blue skies and unlimited visibility for miles around.

“Hey, Dewdrop,” I called out as we got closer. “Why don’t you take lead for a bit, practice your navigational skills. I’ll stay on your wing.” Considering the obstacle course I’d just had him run, it seemed like a good little reward. Dewdrop nodded and pulled in front of me and then banked left, starting a circuit of the Everfree perimeter around Ponyville.


The next couple of hours were pretty quiet. Being in the patrol is a little bit like being a soldier; your job is hours of mostly boredom and monotony, punctuated by moments of excitement, and occasionally terror. The former pretty much summed up our patrol so far. We’d been pretty much gliding back and forth in front of the Everfree’s boundary. There were no renegade storms to push back, no ground fog that needed whipping up, not even a stray raincloud. All in all, I was pretty bored, and so was Dewdrop.

“How much longer do we have to do this?” Dewdrop called back to me. He was still flying element lead. I took a quick glance at the sun.

“I’d say we’ve got at least another two hours yet,” I replied. Dewdrop huffed. “If you’re bored, we could play I spy.”

“Yeah, go on then,” Dewdrop agreed.

“I spy with my little eye, something beginning with ‘S’.” Dewdrop thought.

“Sky?”

“Well done,” I answered snarkily. “Now just keep an eye out for anything on the horizon will you?”

So we kept on flying back and forth, and still nothing happened. Usually the Everfree would throw out something during a patrol, but today it seemed content to stay inside its borders. Maybe I should ask Discord to scatter some more of those Plundervines, or whatever they were called, just to shake things up.

As we banked around to head back along our path again though, I picked up a noise on the wind. Since becoming a pegasus, both my sight and hearing have improved noticeably. Calling for Dewdrop to hold fast, we both paused and strained our ears.

“Lizzie! Dewdrop!” the voice called. Looking around, I tried to find where the voice was coming from, but I couldn’t see anypony besides us. Luckily, Dewdrops eyes were better than mine.

“There, look,” he said, pointing with a hoof. “It’s Thunderlane!”

Off in the distance, I could just about make out a small grey speck against the blue sky.

“Come on then, we better go and see what he wants.” Putting on a burst of speed, we made for the lone pegasus. Calling out to him, I quickly managed to get his attention, and we soon met each other. I asked the obvious question.

“What’s the matter, Flight? Something come up?” Thunderlane nodded, looking pretty concerned.

“It sure has,” he replied. “Follow me, I’ll explain on the way.” He then took off at speed, heading north. Dewdrop and I quickly followed.


Thunderlane kept his summary of the situation brief, partly due to time pressures, but also due to the fact that he was pushing himself so hard he could barely catch his breath.

About twenty minutes ago, pegasi north of us around Vanhoover had started running into some unusual weather patterns coming from the Frozen North. As you can guess, the northern territories are pretty much a block of ice. Except for the Crystal Empire, the place was nothing but cold, empty tundra, with constant snowstorms.

Usually, these storms didn’t come very far south. At worst, you would get some low pressure system briefly swing down before it dissipated. Now though, the perpetual storms suddenly seemed to have increased in intensity. Passage up to the Crystal Empire was now suicide, and there’d been no word from the city, assuming it was still there. Worse still, the storms were swinging down south at speed. They’d hit and bury Vanhoover in less than an hour.

Weather in the Frozen North was almost impossible to control due to its intensity. I knew for a fact that ponies had been lost up there; frozen in flight. The local teams were getting overwhelmed and had called for extra help. We were the nearest team available, so we would be their reinforcements until more help could arrive from Cloudsdale in the form of the Wonderbolts. Thunderlane told us that our orders were simple; hold the line until help arrived. If we couldn’t stop that weather front and it unloaded on Vanhoover, it could result in a major disaster.

We soon found ourselves joined by Flitter and Cloudchaser, the five of us heading north to Vanhoover. Nopony mentioned a word about Rainbow. We all knew she was up there in the Crystal Empire. We just hoped that she was alright.


We covered the fifty miles to Vanhoover in ten minutes. When we got there, the scene was not promising. The city was still there, but the storm had to be less than five miles from its limits. It was massive, bigger than anything I’d ever seen, a huge, seemingly endless black cloud rolling south towards us. Here and there, you could see multi-coloured specks moving back and forth in front of the clouds; the local patrol teams. They were doing all they could, but it was clear that they were being forced back. And here we were, the relief column; five ponies.

“Okay, everypony,” Thunderlane called out. “Form up into arrow formation and stay there until I tell you otherwise! Lizzie and Dewdrop, take right, Flitter and Cloudchaser on the left.”

We quickly moved into formation. We’d need to stick together on this job. With a storm this big, getting separated might see you go missing and never being found. Putting on a burst of speed, we made for the city. Our first objective would be to find the head of the local weather team and come up with a plan.

As we drew towards the city and the storm wall, we were approached by a couple of pegasi from the local team.

“Hey! You folks my reinforcements?” a large green coated pegasus asked.

“Yes,” Thunderlane replied, pulling us into a hover on station. “Ponyville weather team reporting as ordered. How can we help?”

“I’m Cloud Skimmer,” the stallion replied. “Head of the Vanhoover weather squadron. We’ve been trying to push the storm back, but the air currents are way too strong. The damn thing’s like Everfree weather. Flying through the clouds freezes your wings up with ice. I’ve already lost two ponies to frostbite. We can’t hold it for much longer, and I don’t think you five will be able to tip the scales.”

“What do you suggest then?” Thunderlane asked. “Cloudsdale said it’ll be at least another half hour before the Wonderbolts and help from Cloudsdale will be in any position to assist.” Cloud Skimmer pointed to the storm.

“We’ve been trying to alter the storm’s course,” he said “We can’t stop it, but we’ve had some success in steering it. High speed close passes seem to be enough to affect it. So far we’ve managed to turn the storm about three degrees to port. If we can get that to seven before it gets to within a mile of the city, it should pass by without dropping its load on Vanhoover.

“I need the five of you to execute passes around the left hoof side of the storm. With the extra wing power, it should be enough to turn it all the way. After that, with help from Cloudsdale, we should be able to set up a weather system to meet it and use a high pressure to push it back north.”

“Sounds like a plan to me,” Thunderlane agreed. “We’ll get right on it.” He then turned to us.

“Okay, everypony, you heard Cloud Skimmer. I want high speed passes around the left hoof side of the storm wall. Split into elements of two, and I’ll circle high to monitor the course of the storm. Keep clear of the clouds themselves and watch out for windshear. Stick together and we’ll get through this. Go!”

We all broke formation, once again, Dewdrop was on my wing. There was no way I was going to let him take the lead on this one. Flitter and Cloudchaser followed close behind us. It was better to work in groups of two like this. In the past, weather teams had experimented with what they called the ‘fluid four’ formation, but it had never been much use.

As we drew nearer, the storm filled more and more of our vision. I was reminded of tornado duty late last year. It was an intimidating sight. I turned back to Dewdrop.

“Right, Dewdrop,” I called out. “We’ll pull up and then go into a steep dive. Level off as we draw level with the storm, and then gun it. Understand?” Dewdrop nodded.

Leaning back, I pulled myself into a climb. I had to flap my wings harder to keep my speed up, and the wind from the storm made keeping stable a challenge. But we managed to dive and gained a lot of speed, enough to create a pretty sizeable wake behind us. This was what would turn the storm those seven degrees we needed.

Think of it as if you’re taking a boat through water. The ship forms a wake. Well, you do the exact same thing in the air, only you can’t see it. Our wake would push at the storm as we passed by, destabilising it and slowing it down, thereby causing the rest of the storm to pivot slightly, changing its course.

As we passed by the storm and pushed ourselves as hard as we could, I felt a cold chill. We were a good ten feet from the storm wall, but my wings were now covered in tiny ice crystals. I didn’t want to think about what would happen if I actually went into it.

Dew drop was still behind me as well, and looking just as frozen as I was. Flapping our wings and dropping to a lower altitude helped clear that up. Glancing behind us, I saw Flitter and Cloudchaser following us. They too got a bit of a chill from the storm but passed by safely. Climbing again, we made for Thunderlane, who was hovering with Cloud Skimmer and watching our progress.

“How’s it looking, Flight?” I shouted up to him over the wind.

“I’d call it just under a degree,” Thunderlane called back. “Keep at it. We’ve not got much time.”

The four of us dived down again and prepared to make another run. At a best guess, based on the results of our last run, it would take at least another four or five passes to shift the direction of the storm. But as we began to dive again, the bit dropped with a horrible clang.

The storm needed to be on course at least a mile before it reached the city, to ensure that it swung around. It was moving at a fair old pace as well. Based on what we’d done already, and the time it took to perform one run, against the time we had before the storm reached Vanhoover, there was one simple problem. We couldn’t make it. The storm would only be turned by about six and a half degrees by the time it reached the mile marker. As we dived, I explained this to Dewdrop and the others, and we redoubled our efforts. As is so often said, failure wasn’t an option.

So we kept at it, diving onto the storm, levelling off, and then slamming our wake into the storm wall, before diving to clear off the freezing crystals. We were starting to tire and our effect of the storm was reduced as a result. We were making progress, but it wasn’t enough. Even with Thunderlane and Cloud Skimmer helping, we weren’t turning it far enough away. As we banked away for another pass, probably the last one, Thunderlane called up.

“Guys, we’re not going to make it,” he declared. “That storm is going to bury the western part of Vanhoover unless we turn it now. I’m open to suggestions.” We all thought as we looked down on the advancing storm. We only needed to turn it half a degree but a wake induced turn would be too slow.

“I’ve got one idea,” Dewdrop piped up. We all turned to him.

“Let’s hear it then, and fast, kid,” Thunderlane replied.

“We ram it,” Dewdrop said simply. “The force of the impact will be enough to turn it far enough, and quickly enough.”

“Yeah, and we’ll all get turned into pony popsicles!” Cloudchaser replied. Dewdrop shook his head.

“Not you; me,” he replied. “One pony hitting the storm at full speed will be enough.”

“Don’t be stupid, kid!” Cloud Skimmer barked. “Nopony can survive that cold!” Thunderlane thought for a moment.

“You know I can’t order you to do this, Dewdrop,” he said after a moment. Dewdrop nodded.

“I’ll see you in a minute,” he said, and then dived away.

“Dewdrop!” I yelled. I didn’t think the idiot would be stupid enough to actually do what he was talking about. Leaving Thunderlane and the others, I dived after him.

He was already moving at a terrific pace towards the storm. His plan would most likely work. But it would also probably get the stupid twit killed. As we neared the storm, I began to yell at him, trying to get him to pull off, but he wouldn’t listen to me. The storm once again surged up to meet us, and the icy wind began to nip at my mane. We were less than twenty seconds from impact. The only plan I had was to follow him in. He’d break through the storm, while I’d keep up my momentum. With any luck, I’d hit him from behind and it would carry us both through to the other side of the storm before we froze.

As it turned out though, none of that happened.

Just before we both slammed into the dark mass of clouds, the sky was lit up with streamers and fire and beautiful colours. Back home, you’d have called these the Northern Lights, but we were far too south for them to be visible. The same effect though was produced by the Crystal Heart when it was fully powered up, and it controlled these crazy storms.

Much to everypony’s relief, as the sky lit up, the clouds began to reverse their course, heading away from Vanhoover and back to the Frozen North. Instead of hitting the clouds, Dewdrop and I shot through thin air, and it took quite a bit of effort on our parts to pull up to level flight before we hit the deck. After all, the faster you go, the more air rushes over your wings, making it harder to make inputs.

Still, we managed to pull up, and after berating Dewdrop for doing something so stupid and scaring the hell out of me, we both returned to Thunderlane and the others.

“Well that was lucky,” Thunderlane said. “It looks like the entire storm has reversed course.”

At that moment, we all picked up the sound of approaching pegasi. Looking to the south, we saw the tell-tale smoke trails of the Wonderbolts. It seemed help from Cloudsdale had finally arrived.

“Heh. About bloody time!” I complained as the famed squadron shot overhead.

“Stow it,” Thunderlane ordered. “Come on, let’s head back to Ponyville.”


We arrived back in Ponyville around the same time that Twilight and the others got back by the train; bad headwinds had slowed us down on the way home. We told her what had happened and together with Twilight, Rainbow filled us in on what had gone on in the Frozen North.

It turned out that Princess Cadence’s new foal had somehow shattered the Crystal Heart, which was what had caused the weather up there to go haywire. With help from Twilight and her new student Starlight Glimmer, as well as another pony named Sunburst, the princesses had been able to reconstruct it and get control of the weather back. It was just lucky that they did it before it all dropped onto one of Equestria’s northern cities.

It certainly made for an interesting report, and a good story to tell Fluttershy when I got back that evening. The two of us were both shattered, me from my run up to Vanhoover, and she from her trip to the Crystal Empire. So, after a quick dinner, we both turned in early. After all, in spite of all that had happened, I still had work at nine o’clock tomorrow.

Author's Note:

Proofread by Sweetolebob18.

So, introductions to our mane cast and a good little action sequence, even if did all end with a Deus ex Machina. Let me know what you all think in the comments.