• Published 5th Oct 2017
  • 1,313 Views, 102 Comments

Adventures in the Weather Patrol - Blade Star



Now working for the Weather Patrol full time, Lizzie tells a few stories about crazy weather and sometimes even crazier ponies.

  • ...
4
 102
 1,313

Chapter 15 - Forced Landing

I don’t cross paths with Princess Twilight Sparkle too often, or Twilight, as she prefers to be called by most ponies. The two of us move in different circles. Sure, I occasionally see her around town, hear the odd little fact or story from Dash or Bones, or stop by the library to check out a book. But as a rule, we only see each other in passing.

Not that we aren’t friends or anything. I owe Twilight a great deal, and I have helped her out and vice versa more than once, such as when I took Spike up to the Crystal Empire a few weeks back. We’re very friendly with each other. It’s just that, given our respective lines of work, we rarely happen to interact.

So, you can imagine how surprised I was when, as I was coming back from an ordinary patrol one evening, I found Spike; her dragon assistant, waiting for me outside the cottage. It had been a busy day at the office, so to speak. A random bank of fog had decided to start rolling out of the Everfree Forest and enveloping half of Ponyville in an eerie mist. Between myself, Dash, Dewdrop, Thunderlane, Flitter and Cloudchaser, it took the better part of a day to push it back into the forest where it belonged.

You see, Everfree weather is a bit weird. It doesn’t follow the ‘rules’ of weather control, acting more like weather on Earth. You can’t push half the clouds without getting a nasty shock, and fog was just as bad. We just went straight through it most of the time, rather than connecting with it. It’s one of those weird places in the world where the normal natural laws don’t seem to apply. Weather from there just goes where the wind and pressure takes it, and it can be quite powerful and dangerous to boot. Ponies had puzzled for years on why the Everfree was so wild. But so far, nopony had come up with any real explanation. We didn’t even understand how the Tree of Harmony controlled the forest’s growth, containing it where it was.

It was a scientific mystery and marvel. I should have been surprised that Twilight didn’t start trying to crack its enigma sooner.

Coming down to a soft landing in front of Spike, I tucked my wings to my sides and smiled down at the baby dragon. Like Twilight, I don’t see him too much, but he’s a really nice kid. Like I’ve said before; a lot of ponies underestimate him.

“Hey, Spike,” I said kindly. “What brings you up here?” Spike looked up at me and smiled back.

“Twilight sent me down here,” he replied. I half wondered how long it took the poor lad to waddle out here. “She wanted to know if you could stop by the castle tomorrow.” I thought for a moment.

I only had work in the morning tomorrow, and Fluttershy had said yesterday that she’d noticed a bit of a drop off in the number of animals needing her help or care, so I figured she probably wouldn’t need much of my help, aside from maybe feeding a few critters here and there. I’d have to double check with her and Dash, but otherwise, my schedule seemed fairly free.

“Er, yeah, I suppose so,” I replied after thinking for a moment. “Why?”

“She needs someone to help her fly over the Everfree Forest,” Spike explained. I was a bit puzzled by that.

“She’s an alicorn; she’s got wings, hasn’t she?” I said. “I know she isn’t the most stable flyer around, but she shouldn’t have any problems flying over the Everfree.” Spike paused for a moment and tried to recall something.

“She said something about flying at low altitude and…er…windshirt?” I laughed at that before catching myself. Spike briefly glared at me in embarrassment.

“Windshear, Spike,” I replied. “It’s what they call it when the wind suddenly changes direction. It is quite bad if you fly real low. It can even make pegasi crash land if it gets real bad.” Spike’s eyes went wide.

I could hardly blame the drake for being a little concerned at the prospect of Twilight venturing into such difficult conditions. Like I said, she isn’t the world’s greatest flier. Even on a calm day, she has to work to keep herself stable. I think that’s partly down to her overly large alicorn wings. They’re actually bigger than my own, looking a lot like Princess Celestia’s. They even sit differently at her sides. In any case, the size to wingspan ratio means the she’s alright at gliding long distance, but not so good at hovering. Or flying through unstable weather. I turned my attention back to Spike.

“If Twilight wants to go over the Everfree, then yeah, sure, I can help her out. I should have some free time tomorrow afternoon. What is she up to anyway?” Spike shrugged.

“Beats me,” he replied. “I think it’s got something to do with why the forest is the way it is. But you know how Twilight can be.” Ah yes, Twilight could be a bit of an egghead at times, as Dash would say.

Promising Spike that I would be there sometime around one, I let him get on his way home. I did offer him a quick ride back myself, but he declined, saying that he wanted to visit Rarity.

Heading into the cottage, I found Fluttershy grooming Angel, having evidently just given him his bath. I could tell by the state of the room. She’d obviously been hard pressed to catch him again. For an otherwise civilised creature, he does seem to see baths in the same way a kid does. He was now sitting on the soft, a permanent snarl on his face, while Fluttershy gently combed his fur with a small brush, pressing his ears back each time she did his head. She looked up as I came in.

“I just saw Spike outside,” I said as I took a look at the still angry rabbit. “Twilight wants me to lend a hoof with something tomorrow after I’m done with work. You gonna be okay looking after all the animals on your own?” Fluttershy set the brush down so that she could speak, giving Angel an opportunity to bound away.

“Actually,” Fluttershy said. “I was thinking of taking the afternoon to go and see Pinkie Pie. It’s pretty quiet around here at the moment. Most of my animal friends are able to look after themselves in the summer.” I nodded.

“It has been rather quiet these last couple weeks,” I agreed. “And I’m sure Pinkie would be glad to spend some time with you. I think we could both use a change in our routines for a day.” Fluttershy nodded in agreement before trotting into the kitchen to make some tea.


Next morning found me just as busy as I had been the day before. Once again, I was busy up in the sky with Dash and the others. This time though, it wasn’t the Everfree that was the cause of our problems, but our counterparts over in Baltimare.

The city was due for some heavy rainfall to compensate for higher than normal temperatures. Apparently, the town’s reservoir was getting quite low, so a top up was needed. The weather team there was meant to take the fully loaded storm clouds over to the reservoir and discharge them into the lake below. But during the journey there, the rain clouds began to destabilise, turning into a thundercloud, which soon became too hot to handle. I’m guessing somepony must have been bumping rather than pushing the cloud along, thereby inadvertently charging it.

The long and short of it, was that the team had been forced to back off from the clouds due to risk of lightning strike. Effectively out of control, it had drifted westward towards us, and was now bearing down. It wasn’t dangerous to anypony on the ground; no more so than your typical thunderstorm. However, an unchecked storm was something of a spanner in the works to Equestria’s tightly controlled and organised weather schedule. So we had been ordered to go out to meet the storm and try and break it up.

It was a bit of a challenge for us. But with a Wonderbolt, four experienced flyers, and one rookie who is fast becoming a ten year vet on hoof, we were able to break the storm apart. In more manageable pieces, we were able to discharge the lightening safely, turning the clouds back into regular rain clouds.

With that done, it was simply a case of reversing its course. By the time we’d flown twenty miles, the squad from Baltimare, suitably embarrassed, had caught up with their wayward charge. They took custody of the cloud front and would pilot it back to Baltimare, hopefully this time with more care.

The whole exercise left the six of us thoroughly exhausted. Dash, as our CO, gave us the rest of the day off, since there wasn’t any major weather due until a light shower on Thursday.

But, as Dad is fond of saying, there’s no rest for the wicked, and while everypony else headed home for a well-earned rest, I pointed my snout towards Twilight’s castle. It wouldn’t be too much trouble. Heck, it would be foal’s play compared to this morning. Still, when Dewdrop heard me explain what I was doing to Dash, he was a little concerned.

“The Everfree Forest!” he exclaimed, shooting over to join us. “I know you’re going with the princess, Lizzie, but don’t you think that it’s still a bit risky.” I smiled and shrugged my shoulders.

“So was that rogue storm, Dewdrop,” I replied. “Besides, I’ve flown over the Everfree before.” Still, he wasn’t convinced.

“Yeah, over the edge of the forest, half a mile at most. You said Twilight wants to fly right over the centre. Nopony on record has ever flown so low over that place; it’s effectively uncharted!”

“Well that’s what Twilight wants to do,” I explained. “Besides, even if something does go wrong, we’ve got back up plans. Twilight might be able to use her magic to help us, or we could go to the old castle, and if we’re really in trouble, we can go find Zecora’s place.” I laid a hoof on his shoulder. “Trust me, Dewdrop. I’ll be fine.”

Frowning slightly, Dewdrop acquiesced and flew off, leaving me with Dash. My old instructor looked a little concerned too.

“Are you sure you’re gonna be okay with this, Lizzie?” she asked. “Dewdrop does have a point. Not even the ‘Bolts have charted the whole forest that low down.” I smiled at Dash.

“Rainbow,” I said. “How many times have you gone into the Everfree Forest?” Dash shrugged.

“I don’t know. At least half a dozen times.”

“Exactly,” I said. “I know there’s some dangerous things in there, but I’ll be careful, and I’ve got Twilight with me to boot. Tell you what; how about I take one of those earpiece communicators with me?”

The communicators were something Twilight had come up with. Sort of similar to a Bluetooth earpiece, they allowed us to communicate over long distances. We’d used them during Tornado duty to let us all hear each other over the wind and rain. But as we were often near enough to shout at each other, we rarely used them for anything else. I could grab one from Dash and she could keep one on hoof herself. Then if worst came to worst, I could send out a distress signal. It certainly seemed to appeal to Dash.

“Alright, that does sound like a good idea,” Dash agreed. “Stop by my place before you and Twi head out and I’ll hook you up.”

Having satisfied both my boss and my coltfriend that I’d be safe on one little, slightly bumpy pleasure flight, I jumped off the cloud we’d been standing on, and made my way back towards Ponyville and Twilight’s place.


The castle was, as usual, open when I got there, and heading inside, I found Twilight busily pouring over various texts and jotting down notes on the currently deactivated map. She can be very Sherlockian when she’s studying. Not that she has the ability to solve complex mysteries by simple observation, but she does tend to forget to tidy the place up when she has a problem on her hooves.

While I didn’t find the place covered in a haze of tobacco smoke, the throne room was littered with books and papers, no doubt organised in some fashion by the alicorn princess. As I walked in, Twilight was busily scribbling notes down on a piece of parchment.

“Hey there, Twilight,” I called out, causing her to briefly jump in fright. When she saw it was me though, she relaxed and smiled.

“Oh, Lizzie. Thanks for coming,” she said getting up and trotting over to hug me.

“No worries, Twilight,” I replied. “So how can I help? Spike said something about flying over the Everfree.” Twilight nodded.

“I’m working on a paper about the Everfree Forest,” she explained. “I’m trying to work out what causes the strange and uncontrollable weather in there. I figured that somepony who was used to flying through storms would be a good guide.” I blushed at the compliment.

“I’ve flown through one or two,” I replied humbly. “But what’s brought this on anyway? You’ve been in Ponyville for a few years. How come you never studied the forest before?”

“I haven’t really had the time for it,” she explained. “Between my royal duties, my friendship studies, the library and occasionally helping to save Equestria, I just haven’t had enough free time to invest in such a major project.”

“So what exactly do you want me to do then?” I enquired.

“Simple really,” Twilight explained. “I want to fly into the centre of the Everfree and collect some samples of the clouds there.” I let out a low whistle.

“That is kinda risky, Twilight,” I said with some trepidation. “I’ve flown a few miles in on occasion, and even then I’ve encountered winds that can knock a pegasus out of the sky. The sky above the centre of the forest is pretty much uncharted. But as long as we’re both careful, I don’t see why we can’t give it a try.” Twilight smiled at that.

“Great!” she exclaimed. “I’ll just grab my things and then we can…” She was cut off as her stomach let out a ferocious growl that caused both of us to blush. It seems that, like Holmes, on occasion, she got so caught up her in studies that she forgot the importance of eating.

So, before we both set off, we shared a late lunch together in the castle’s dining room. While Spike does most of the cooking, Twilight isn’t half bad herself. She even made up a few snacks for our journey into the Everfree.

With both our hungers satisfied, we prepared for the off. I’d got a pair of saddlebags containing maps, a first aid kit, and some basic supplies. I also explained to Twilight about the communicator I had, so I could contact Dash for help if we ran into trouble.

As for Twilight, she’d packed a variety of meteorological equipment, as well as several large glass containers, which resembled jars, that would hold her cloud samples and preserve them for future study. She also carried a few other supplies. Like any sensible scout, I’d divided our rations. That way, in the event one of us lost our saddlebags, we’d have enough food and water to survive on until we could be rescued.

Satisfied that all was well, the two of us headed out. Twilight called out to Spike to let him know that she was going and told him to expect her back in a few hours. If we weren’t back by nightfall, he was to find her friends and send a message off to Princess Celestia.

With that, the two of us took off. I quickly leapt into the air and climbed above the town. I quickly checked my headlong charge, remembering my companion. Twilight, in contrast to my own smooth take off, was struggling to climb at such a steep angle and came close to stalling a couple of times before she joined me.

Still somewhat unsteady, but nonetheless flying, Twilight took up station on my right. The two of us then headed off towards the dark and menacing Everfree Forest.


As I said to Twilight, I’d flown over the Everfree a couple of times before. Those occasions had been due to rogue weather spilling out. As a rule, once they could be brought under some kind of control, we simply pushed them back where they came from. Weather that we’d normally move out of the way or shut down was uncontrollable in the forest, so flying was far more dangerous. Hence everypony’s preference for only going in as far as they needed to.

Of course, this was really only limited to a small area above the forest. Once you got about five hundred feet or so up, you’d clear the weird magic that made the place so strange. As a result, pegasi had flown over the Everfree many times, but not as low as we were planning to. I could find my way, sure, but I wasn’t as confident about navigating all the unpredictable weather. I was even less confident when I thought about the greenhorn on my wing.

I led us up to about a thousand feet above the town and as the Everfree came into view, I signalled to Twilight to land on a nearby cloud. The pair of us touched down and I briefly went over the ground rules.

“Okay, Twilight,” I said. “We’re about to cross into the forest. We’ll drop down to about a hundred and fifty feet. That’s as low as I’m willing to go. You’re to stick to me like glue. I don’t know how bad the weather will be, so we can’t run the risk of losing each other in there. If anything goes wrong, I’ll rock my wings and climb. You’re to follow me up to at least a thousand feet. We do your tests and then we get out. Clear?” It felt strange to be talking to a princess like this. Twilight though was perfectly accommodating.

“As crystal,” she replied, opening her wings. With a nod, I jumped off the cloud, with Twilight following close behind.

Picking up a little speed as we dived, we zoomed down towards the forest. As we crossed the boundary, we were hit by a slight gust. Nothing major you understand, but enough to make us both wobble. That should have been a clear warning of what was coming.

Passing low over the forest, we initially encountered no real problems. The weather seemed to be just as clear as it was in Ponyville today. I’m sure though that, despite the sunlight, the forest itself would be quite dark, due to all tree canopy obscuring the sky. It’s what makes the forest so unsettling to most ponies.

As we continued, we occasionally passed over the odd clearing. Our presence and the jet engine sound generated by our flight startled one pack of timberwolves, and I caught a glimpse of the wooden canines scattering as we passed overhead. Aside from that though, the forest’s denizens kept to themselves. I certainly didn’t want to run into an Ursa Minor, or worse its mother, which was known to live somewhere deep in the forest.

Pressing further in, Twilight called out to me, asking if we could perhaps slow down to let her run some of her tests. I was happy enough to oblige. Things were going much better than I had hoped after all.

But as we neared the old castle, where the two princesses once made their home, we began to run into turbulence and a bad rain storm. And this wasn’t just the odd gust like before. The pair of us suddenly found ourselves being really knocked around by heavy wind and a fair amount of rain. Each time I tried to compensate for once drop, I was suddenly hit by windshear or an updraft. Neither of us could keep stable. Still, it wasn’t terrible, but it was uncomfortable. Twilight tried to lighten the mood as she pushed her damp mane out of her eyes.

“Just count yourself lucky we didn’t bring Shining Armor along with us,” she said to me. “He gets airsick really easily. He’s never been able to make it on an airship without throwing up.”

I laughed at that. Although I also wondered how that was possible, since horses, and consequently ponies digestive system didn’t work that way. My mind drifted for a moment, and it was near fatal. We’d been steadily dropping in altitude, although the change was so gradual, I’d hardly noticed it, particularly as dark clouds were now obscuring the horizon. One moment, the two of us were laughing, the next I was fighting to avoid slamming into the deck.

It was as if there was a huge, invisible hand pushing down on me. I was flying just fine, but I was dropping so fast my stomach was doing somersaults. I pulled myself up in an effort to climb, but that only slowed my descent a little. I quickly realised what was happening.

“Shit! Microburst!” I exclaimed. I turned back to Twilight. “Twilight, flap as hard as you can! Keep your speed up and follow me! Don’t try and climb!”

A microburst was like a large pillar of air that was rushing back down to earth. Think of how water from a tap goes. It shoots down to the basin and then pools and splashes as it lands. The turbulence we’d flown through had been the edge of the microburst; the pooling water. We were now right in the middle of it. The air current was pushing us down, and there was no way we could fight it. Doing the obvious thing and pulling up in an attempt to climb would just slow us down until we stalled and got exhausted. Dash had told me time and again, the best thing to do was keep level and fly as fast as possible to get through to the other side. These things were never that big after all.

Now normally, while a little scary, we’d get through something like this. But because we were so low, we just didn’t have enough altitude. In a human airplane, this would be fatal. But luckily for us, we were a bit more sturdy. The two of us ploughed into the treetops and we soon found ourselves entangled in the branches.

As we came to a stop, I found myself upside down, with Twilight slightly above me, each of my limbs was ensnared by branches and vines. We were both breathing heavily from the exertion. While the landing had been rough, nothing seemed to be broken. Still, not the best thing to happen to an ‘expert’ like myself.

“Bollocks!” I seethed to myself.


I might have been simply knocked about, but Twilight looked a fair bit worse for wear. When I realised we were well and truly screwed, I’d braced myself for the landing. Twilight on the other hoof had not. A rap on her head, courtesy of a particularly thick branch, had knocked her out cold. Luckily, before long, she began to come around.

“Twilight? Twilight? Can you hear me?” I called up as the alicorn stirred. She soon let out a groan of pain; a good sign really.

“What…what happened?” she asked in a slurred voice.

“We’re both up a tree, literally,” I explained. “A microburst pushed us down into the ground before we could fly through it. Are you hurt much?”

Twilight was just as bound as I was, although she’d had the luxury of ending right side up. She had a few cuts here and there, as I’m sure I did, but other than that, she looked none the worse for the experience.

“Aside from this headache, no, I think I’m okay,” she replied.

I turned my attention then to our current predicament. I could see the forest floor some seven or eight feet below us. If we could just break free of these branches and vines we could drop down and get our bearings, maybe even take off again. But all my limbs, as I said, we stuck fast, and the one thing I hadn’t thought to bring with me was a machete. I couldn’t even reach any of them to try biting my way through. Twilight on the other hoof…

“Do you think you can use your magic to get us free, Twilight?” I asked. She thought for a moment, before nodding.

“Hang on,” she said. “I’ll try and cut us loose.”

Powering up her magic, her horn glowed a bright magenta that quickly increased in intensity. A few seconds later, a sphere of magic emanated from her horn, forming a sphere some then feet across. I felt a slight heat wash over me, and I quickly smelt something burning.

When the sphere faded away, I found that, where there had once been branches, vines and leaves, there was now nothing. Toward the trunk, I could see where the branch had once connected, it was now cut cleanly across with some slight singeing. Twilight had somehow used her magic to burn away the vines that were restraining us. Fitting I suppose; when an RFC plane was shot down, the pilot usually set the remains alight to stop the machine falling into enemy hands.

Of course, that left us with one small problem. We were now some eight feet off the ground, with nothing holding us up. The pair of us dropped to the ground in a flash and I was reunited with both the earth and my old friend pain. I landed on my back and felt something in my left wing give. Twilight meanwhile, landed on all four hooves. She was quickly at my side.

“Oh my goodness,” she exclaimed as she saw my pained expression. “Lizzie, are you alright?”

Grimacing at the pain, I tried to get up. Twilight attempted to help me. However, flexing my one wing caused pain to shoot up it. The bone wasn’t shattered, I could tell that, but I probably had a bad fracture. I let myself collapse onto my side, which was a bit more comfortable.

“My left wing’s injured,” I said, wincing again. “I must have damaged it when we dropped.” Twilight’s ears flattened against skull, though I was quick to assure her that it wasn’t her fault.

Dragging myself over to my saddlebag, which had come off in the crash and landed on the forest floor, I fished out the communicator I’d brought and put it in my ear. Flicking the power switch, I tried to send out a message.

“CQ, CQ,” I called out in my clipped R/T voice. That was the signal for all stations to listen to the message. “Mayday, mayday, mayday. Two flyers down in the Everfree Forest due to microburst. Is anypony receiving? Over.” There was no response.

“Dash, are you reading me?” I tried again. “Dash, are you there? Mayday!”

I tapped the device a couple of times before removing it. It seemed that Sod’s law had struck again. The communicator was busted, and there was no way even Twilight could repair it out here. Annoyed, I tossed the trinket on the ground.

So, SITREP, we’d crashed in the middle of the Everfree, I was injured to the point where flying was out of the question, and I couldn’t get help via the radio. That left us with two options. We could either start walking, and hope we didn't run into timberwolves or a cockatrice, or Twilight could go to find help, leaving me undefended against predators. Neither was a good option. Twilight didn’t have much in the way of navigational skills in the air. Heck, I wasn’t entirely sure where we were on the map, so there was no guarantee of her being able to find me again.

Twilight did suggest the idea of going to get help from Zecora. The zebra shaman knew this forest like the back of her hoof and could defend herself from most of the beasts that lived here. But again, the problem of finding our way persisted.

In the end, we decided that we’d wait until evening. Spike knew to alert Twilight’s friends if she didn’t return by then. Rainbow Dash would then be bound to find the two of us. Worst case scenario, Princess Celestia or Princess Luna could send out a couple of thestrals. With Twilight’s magic, we’d be able to make a decent emergency flare to flag them down.

Until then though, we’d just have to wait and pass the time. While my wing hurt like a bugger, it wasn’t intolerable. I chatted with Twilight about my cousin John. I remember that he told me on one occasion, during a nasty firefight not too far from Victoria Falls, he’d taken a bullet in the thigh and shoulder, knocking him on his rear. He’d had to drag himself, still bleeding, under a bush to avoid being picked off by a sniper, and hold out with his pistol until a helicopter was able to evacuate him back to base. That was the same situation we were in now really. We’d just have to wait and hope that the snakes and snipers gave us a wide berth.


Dusk soon came, at least I think it was dusk. The cover of the trees made it hard to judge where the sun was. It was starting to drop cooler at any rate. We’d both kept our eyes on the sky, but there’d been neither hide nor hair of Rainbow Dash. I was starting to get quite worried. My wing, which was definitely fractured, was causing me further problems. I wasn’t an expert, but I had some basic medic training, and as far as I could make out, I was going into shock. I was sweating and shivering despite Twilight’s efforts. If help didn’t reach us soon, I was going to be in a world of trouble.

I did my best to stay awake. I kept talking to Twilight about anything that sprang to mind. I knew that sleep was now the worst thing for me.

Twilight too, despite her attempts to hide it, was getting worried as well. It was a ridiculous situation; we both had wings, but neither of us could use them to get help. Twilight even had magic for Celestia’s sake.

It was getting to the point where I knew I’d have to send Twilight off and hope that she could find her way back. There was no way we could spend the night out in the open, particularly with one of us wounded. I was just about to tell her to go, when I caught the sound of a pegasus’ wings. The strange jet engine like sound began to grow closer.

The two of us looked at each other and Twilight immediately powered up her horn. She let off a bolt of magic that flew upward a couple hundred feet before bursting like a great magenta firework. A few moments later, we heard a voice.

“Lizzie? Twilight? Can you hear me?” called a voice, echoing around the forest. It was Dewdrop!

“Yes! Here, Dewdrop! In the clearing!” I bellowed back.

A few moments later, I picked out his aqua coat against the sky, and he quickly landed in front of us. He was breathing hard from exertion and his limbs shivered from overuse. He took a few breaths before speaking.

“Thank Celestia I found the two of you!” he exclaimed, rushing over and nuzzling me comfortingly. “Dash got worried when she couldn’t raise you on comms, so she asked me to check that you were alright. I headed toward the old castle, and then asked Zecora if she’d seen you. Well, it turned out she was just about to set off to look for you as well. She said she’d seen you both get knocked down by the wind.” I nodded.

“Yeah,” I replied. “Bucking microburst got us. It came out of nowhere.” Dewdrop grimaced. “We both ended up in the trees, but Twilight cut us loose. I busted my wing in the fall, so I couldn’t go for help. The communicator broke too.” I gestured to the battered earpiece lying on the ground nearby.

“Dewdrop,” Twilight jumped in. “Lizzie’s hurt pretty bad. How far do you think it is to Zecora’s from here?”

“Zecora told me that she would head out as well to try and find you,” he explained. “Wait here and I’ll go look for her. Then I can guide her to you.”


My coltfriend was as good as his word. Five minutes later, Zecora had joined us, complete with a rudimentary medical kit. She bound up my bad wing with a splint to immobilise it and gave me some meds to help too. I was soon feeling a heck of a lot better. We were soon joined by Rainbow Dash, and a couple pegasi from Ponyville hospital; call it Equestria’s version of a CASEVAC.

I was airlifted by chariot to Ponyville General, where I spent about a fortnight healing up. Fluttershy regularly visited me, as did Twilight and my family, along with Rainbow Dash. All of them were glad I was safe and Flight made me promise that in future, I wouldn’t go gallivanting off into the Everfree without either him or Dash.

Still, Twilight did manage to get her cloud samples in the end. And although I’m not sure to what extent, I can now claim that I’ve helped advance the cause of science.

I even got the battle scars to prove it.

Author's Note:

Proofread by Sweetolebob18.

Microbursts are a very real and dangerous phenomenon that affect aircraft, particularly during take off and landing. In the unlikely event you encounter one in real life, don't try to climb, just power on through it and you'll be fine.