• Published 10th Jul 2012
  • 8,407 Views, 174 Comments

Apple of Another Color - MrTyreste



A human is sent to Equestria during a storm when he hides out in a barn.

  • ...
17
 174
 8,407

Whatcha need, Applebloom?

It was about three hours before we heard the banging of Granny Smith's dinner triangle. I had dropped out of a tree just beside Applejack when she tossed me another basket.

"Hey, I thought we were done for the day." I complained.

"Oh don't worry, we are. I was just wantin' ya to carry the basket inside the barn. My legs are plum tuckered out." She sighed. "Boy I tell you, I've never seen a human move like that before. Course I reckon I've never seen a human at all til today." She chuckled. "See ya inside, Johnny." She gave me a wink and trotted into the house, leaving me to carry the last basket of apples into the barn.

This isn't too bad, I thought to myself as I opened the door to the barn and sat the apples down onto the hay floor where the rest of the baskets were lying. As I was leaving, I heard a grunting noise coming from the corner of the barn. I closed the door behind me and walked over to the corner to find a little filly playing with what appeared to be a saw.

Oh dear God, fillies and saws do not mix!

"Applebloom!?" I jerked the tool out of her hooves where it looked like she had been trying to make something out of a chunk of wood. "Silly filly, that's not how you use a saw." I grinned as she looked up at me.

"Hey! I was usin' that!" She jumped up and grabbed the saw out of my hands with her teeth and continued to saw away at the wooden chunk. I felt kinda bad for ripping it out of her hooves at first, but then it was kinda funny watching her.

"Need some help?" I asked as I noticed the block of wood turning into something that not even the best professors could identify the shape of. She replied with a sheepish nod and dropped the saw into my hand and scooted the wood over to me. I sat there for about two minutes sawing off the edges of the wood to make a nice round shape. "How's this?" I asked her as I flipped the thin, round piece of wood over to show the young filly.

"Not too bad, but ah reckon it needs somethin'." She trotted over behind the baskets and grabbed a paintbrush dipped in orange paint.

"What, are we painting a mask of your sister?" I asked, which must have been right on the money because she started laughing like crazy.

"Ah didn't even think of that, but that sounds great!" She giggled as she started painting. We stayed in the barn for a few minutes finishing up the mask when at last we were done.

It was glorious!

I have to admit, something about Applebloom reminded me of someone. Like a little sister or niece I left back home on Earth in Tennessee. Just something about her felt like family to me.

"Hey Johnny, can I ask how you got your cutie mark?" She pointed at the cross shaped tattoo on my arm. "I don't think ah've ever seen that mark anywhere in Twi's books." She frowned as she examined it again closely.

"Well.." I tried to think of something to say, mainly because I didn't want to ruin this traditional Southern TV moment. The younger girl asking the older guy how to do something she doesn't understand, only for the guy to make it sound ten times as epic than it really is.

Oh yeah, this was a cinema worthy explanation.

But as I searched for something to say, the words wouldn't come. I wanted to say something along the lines of it being a mark of someone who was braver than the bravest man, but that would seem conceited. In fact, a lot of things seemed conceited when I tried to find an explanation.

Everything but the truth.

"Well Applebloom, humans don't just have their cutie marks appear on their arms. There are people called tattoo artists who can put something that is special to the person on a part of their body. Something that defines them." I began.

"Mine doesn't mean I'm a hero, nor does it mean I'm good at something that no one else can do. It just means..." I trailed off, trying to remember why I had gotten this thing on my arm. I know it had been a bet, loser had to tattoo something on their arm and show it off for a week, but there was a particular reason I chose this one.

"It means I came back to life." I finally said, causing her eyes to widen.

"Beg pardon?" She asked, wondering what in the hell I had meant by that.

"Before I got this on my arm, my life was a total wreck. I hated everything, honestly. I skipped school, I took drugs, and I did a lot of things I'm not proud of, all ending with me ditching my family and just being an all around idiot. Finally when Sunday rolled around, and I had nowhere to go, I went to a place called a church and listened to the people talking there. It had been my first time in a building like that, so I had no idea what to do. I met an old man there who asked me if I was lost. Long story short, he told me that even when things look horrible, there's always a place where I can come home to. Also he told me, that even when no one else is there, someone would always been watching over me. I ran home right after that and begged my parents' forgiveness, and now..." I paused as the wide eyed filly looked at me with genuine understanding, something I didn't really expect from her.

"Ma sister Applejack did somethin similar when she was a little filly too." She told me. "Ya'll are a bit alike." She smiled.

"Yeah, I guess we are." It was kinda true, and something about me regretted my horrible judgement of the orange workhorse. I guess that I really owed her an apology next time I saw her.

"Hey Johnny?" Speak of the devil, she showed up just as we were talking about her.

"What do you need, Applejack?" I asked her, expecting her to tell me to get to dinner after a hard day's work, but what I got instead was the opposite.

"I want you to leave, now."