• Published 5th May 2017
  • 2,599 Views, 126 Comments

Speak Up - doomie-22



Starlight Glimmer, after being gone for over a year, comes back to Ponyville for a visit, much to Spike's displeasure.

  • ...
21
 126
 2,599

Starlight Arrives

Twilight ran Trixie and Spike ragged getting the castle set up for Starlight’s visit. While Spike was to to sweep and mop the floors and prepare the food, Trixie was in charge of straightening up Starlight’s old bedroom. Though, there wasn’t a whole lot to do in this regard, largely in part of the fact that Starlight’s room had remained untouched since she’d first ventured out on her own, which may have been a problem in hindsight seeing as how almost everything within the room was coated in a fine layer of dust and dirt. There were even a few cobwebs strung out in the corners of the ceiling. Trixie was able to get rid of these with the pink feather duster that Spike seemed to be so fond of. Even when Spike was helping Trixie clean Starlight’s room via vacuuming the floor, the two of them still found time to argue regarding the name of their cart. They had thankfully come to a compromise, but were now arguing about whether the name should be The Dark Storm or The Mauve Avenger. Spike insisted that The Dark Avenger sounded cooler than The Dark Storm, while Trixie had the complete opposite opinion. She insisted that The Mauve Avenger alluded to mystery and intrigue, whereas The Dark Avenger sounded like some kind of superhero out of, as she put it, “some lame comic book.”


Spike let out an angry growl, throwing up his hands in frustration. “You’re impossible, you know that!?”

Trixie chuckled. “And that’s why you love me, Spikey-wikey.” She leaned forward and nuzzled her cheek against his. Spike shoved her away.

Trixie’s expression hardened. She cast an aggravated look around them, then fixed her glare on Spike. “You seem to be done in here, so why don’t you be a good little dragon and finish the hallway?” She motioned for him to head out the door.

Spike snorted. “Gladly.” He grabbed his broom and walked out.

Sighing, Trixie went back to removing the sheets and comforter from Starlight’s bed, figuring that the linens needed washing. She couldn’t even remember the last time they had been washed. She recoiled in disgust just thinking about it. Even if she wasn’t Rarity, she still had some standards when it came to cleanliness. Levitating the sheets behind her, she began making her way towards the laundry room.


While Trixie was busy washing Starlight’s bed sheets, Spike figured he might as well get busy preparing the food for Starlight’s visit. He found a roll of parchment resting on the counter near the stove. He looked at it with a dull expression at first, only for his eyes to widen in horror as the parchment began to unroll, dropping to the floor and rolling out the kitchen door. His eye twitched. “She’s got to be kidding,” he mumbled. “She wants me to make all of this!?” Hearing a chuckle, he whipped his head around to see Twilight walking in the kitchen, donning a chef’s hat and apron, both of which were so white that they temporarily blinded Spike.

“Don’t worry, Spike,” she said, “I’m here to help.”

He raised an eyebrow, a smirk coming across his face. “I don’t know. You in the kitchen cooking? Sounds like a bad idea to me.”

“Hey!” She playfully shoved him. She walked over to the stove and studied it closely, rubbing her chin in thought. “Now, uh, how do you turn this thing on?”

While Twilight fiddled with the switches and knobs on the stove, Spike, against his better judgment, studied the list in his hands. “You really want to make all of this?” he asked. He looked up at Twilight.

“Mm-hmm. Those are all of Starlight’s favorite dishes – whoa!” She suddenly leaped up, having pressed a switch that resulted in one of the burners igniting to life, nearly singeing her mane in the process. She hastily turned the burner off and gave Spike a pleading look. “Perhaps you could be of some assistance.”

Smiling, Spike rolled his eyes and shook his head. “Alright, I think it’s time you took some courses in cooking. First thing’s first . . .”


All three occupants of Twilight’s castle found it difficult to fall asleep on the eve that Starlight was set to arrive. While Twilight and Trixie were at the train station picking up Starlight, Spike would be back home making sure everything was ready for when Starlight arrived. True, they had gotten a lot of work done the previous day, but Twilight insisted that they do one more inspection to make sure that the place was completely spotless. Besides which, Spike also had to prepare the table for lunch. There was very little doubt in anypony’s mind that Starlight would be hungry after the long train ride from her old village to Ponyville.

Thankfully, Starlight wasn’t expected to arrive in Ponyville until early in the afternoon, which meant that Trixie, Twilight, and Spike spent their morning making sure the kitchen was clean once they’d finished up breakfast. It had been a light meal, seeing as how they would be having quite a banquet for lunch. They had each had omelets, each with their own individual drink. While Twilight had drank coffee, Trixie had fixed herself a glass of milk, while Spike had drank a glass of orange juice. He sat quietly, eating his omelet and occasionally taking a sip of his drink, while Twilight and Trixie chatted excitedly about all of the things that they were going to do while Starlight was in town. Trixie was elated about showing Starlight some of her newest magic tricks that she’d perfected so that she could use them in her magic show. Twilight was the same; she was ecstatic about seeing any kind of magic trick that Starlight had learned while she’d been away, as well as hear up on how she was doing in her friendship studies.

The time for leaving for the train station finally arrived. Spike stood at the front entrance of the castle, waving goodbye to Trixie and Twilight as they made their way down the road. Once they were gone, he sighed and closed the door, thankful for the two of them being away for the time being. Figuring that there was nothing else he could do to improve the castle, he decided to retire to his bedroom to read some comics.


By the time Trixie and Twilight arrived back at the castle with Starlight, Spike was working on his third comic book. He actually jumped when he heard Twilight call out, “Spike! Come say hi to Starlight!” He stowed his comic away and made his way to the front entrance, where he spotted Trixie, Twilight, and Starlight all waiting for him, smiling.

“Hi, Spike,” Starlight chirped, reaching out a hoof with a friendly smile. “How’s my favorite dragon?”

Spike gave her a pleasant smile, shaking her hoof. “Starlight.”

“Let’s get your things upstairs to your bedroom.” With her magic, Twilight grabbed a couple of Starlight’s suitcases, her former student getting the rest with her magic, and began leading the way upstairs. “And I hope you’re hungry, because once we’re done putting your things away, we’ve got quite a hefty lunch to get through.”

Starlight licked her lips at that. “Mm, great! I’m starved!” She followed Trixie and Twilight up the stairs, noticing Spike walking alongside her out of the corner of her eye. He walked ahead of her, walking between Twilight and Trixie.

“And here we are,” Twilight announced once they’d made it to Starlight’s room, pushing the door open and bowing, allowing Starlight to enter first.

“Wow,” Starlight cried, looking around. “It’s exactly how I left it.”

“Mm-hmm,” Twilight said.

Starlight bent down, taking a long whiff of her bed sheets. She beamed at Twilight and the others. “You even went through the trouble of washing my bed sheets for me?”

“Don’t thank me,” Twilight replied. She nodded her head towards Trixie. “Thank Trixie.”

Trixie smiled and bowed. “It was the least Trixie could do for her best friend, after all.”

Starlight gave the show mare a grateful smile. She ran up and hugged Trixie. “Thank you, Trixie.”

“Think nothing of it, Starlight,” Trixie replied, patting the unicorn’s head. “It is what friends do, after all.” She looked over at Twilight. “Or so I’m told.”

The four of them went about unpacking Starlight’s things and putting them up. Upon setting some pictures on her dresser, Starlight was surprised and elated to find that her mirror had been preserved. It looked as if it had even been recently cleaned; there wasn’t a speck of dust or dirt on it. She could see her reflection so clearly. She smiled at herself. She noticed that the pictures that Twilight had added to them were still there. She turned to Twilight and Trixie. “Okay,” she said, “I think that’s everything. We can do whatever is left later. Right now, this pony needs some food in her belly. Now” – she looked around the room excitedly – “where’s that lunch you were talking about, Twilight?”

Twilight giggled. “It’s just downstairs in the kitchen. Come on.” With a flick of her tail, she led the group back downstairs and to the kitchen. Starlight’s jaw dropped open upon them entering, seeing the table decked out in all of her favorite dishes, the sight and smells emanating from the food making her mouth water.

They quickly seated themselves at the kitchen and proceeded to dig in. Almost immediately, Trixie and Starlight started talking about all things related to magic, with Twilight adding in her own two cents every once in a while. Spike, for the most part, remained silent, quietly eating his food. It wasn’t until Trixie brought up the fact that both she and Spike would be competing in the Applewood Derby that Spike finally spoke up.

“You should come watch,” Trixie suggested, smiling brightly. She nodded towards Twilight. “I know Twilight will be there.”

“Wouldn’t miss it,” Twilight replied. “We’d be happy to have you with us. Speaking of which” – she looked over at Spike – “you guys have to get started on your cart.”

“We will as soon as we settle on a name,” Spike said.

“I told you, we’re naming it The Dark Storm,” Trixie said.

Spike shook his head. “No, we’re not. We’re naming it The Maybe Avenger.”

Starlight chuckled. “I think arguing over the name is silly, if you ask me.”

Spike nodded at that. “I suppose you’re right."

“You never answered my question earlier, Spike,” Starlight said. “How have you been?”

Spike took a drink, then set down his glass. “Fine. And you?”

“Things have been going great in my village. Sugar Belle has come a long way in her baking. I suppose I have Pinkie to thank for that. Baking with her seems to have rubbed off on me.”

Twilight grinned. “Great. Maybe sometime this week you can make dessert.”

“Sure,” Starlight said, shrugging. “What would you like? I’ve gotten really good at this baking thing, so I can practically make you anything you want.”

Trixie said, “Well, you know me, I love tea cakes, cinnamon nuts, apples, ice cream ––”

Starlight laughed. “Is there anything you don’t love?”

“Being upstaged, having my soul sucked out of me by an evil amulet, that sort of thing.” Both unicorns chuckled at that.

Starlight yawned and stretched her hooves. “As soon as this meal’s over, I feel like taking a nap. That ride here really took a lot out of me.”

“That sounds great,” Spike said. “I think I’ll take a nap too.”

Starlight grinned at him. “Maybe tonight I could put you to bed, just like I used to when I lived here. You can even wear those blue footie pajamas that you like so much. You know, the dark blue ones with the stars and moons on them.”

“Yeah, I always hated those,” Spike said.

Starlight frowned. She turned to Twilight. “Didn’t I get him those?”

Twilight thought for a moment and shook her head. “No, I think Luna might have gotten him those for Hearth’s Warming Eve one year.” She chuckled. “Leave it to Luna to get somepony something moon-related as a present.”

“Could I be excused, please?” Spike asked. He got up from his seat.

“Is everything okay?” Twilight asked, her head turning to watch him as he started walking out of the room.

He turned back to her and nodded. “Yeah, yeah, I’m fine. Just a little tired, I guess. I think I’ll go take that nap now.” He yawned and stretched.

“Well, alright, then,” Starlight said. “Sleep well!”

“Speaking of naps, I hope you don’t mind me joining you,” Trixie said to Starlight, nuzzling her cheek against Starlight’s. “It’ll be just like old times, whenever I would sleep over.”

Twilight chuckled. “Just keep the noise level down, girls.”

“We’ll try, but we can’t promise nothing,” Trixie said.

“But, before you do that, Starlight,” Twilight said, getting up from the table, “would you like to have some dessert?”

Starlight licked her lips. “You bet!”

“Spike and I made all of your favorites.” Twilight started heading towards the kitchen. “Trixie, give me a hoof?”

Trixie rolled her eyes. “I suppose I could.” She tossed down her napkin once she was done wiping her mouth, sneaking in a peck to Starlight’s cheek just before she followed Twilight into the kitchen. She and Twilight returned moments later, levitating a pecan pie, cheesecake, and a bowl of banana pudding in their wake. They set them on the table.

Starlight licked her lips. “Mm, that looks great.”

“Help yourself,” Twilight offered, sitting down at the table once more, Trixie also returning to her seat beside Starlight.

“Don’t mind if I do.” Starlight levitated a piece of cheesecake onto her plate and immediately began digging in, while Trixie and Twilight busied themselves with eating a slice of pecan pie. “So,” she went on between mouthfuls of dessert, “I was wondering about Spike.”

“What about him?” Twilight asked.

“Well, he didn’t talk that much. It’s not like him.” She shook her head. “I don’t understand it.” She took a drink of her beverage.


Twilight sighed. “I don’t understand it either, Starlight. Did things end on a bad note just before you left?”

“No! Things between us were great! You should know, Twilight! We got along great!”

Twilight smiled. “I can attest to that. You two were always sleeping together.”

Trixie recoiled. “Ew! Gross, Twilight!”

“Not like that, Trixie,” Starlight and Twilight cried in unison.

“So you have no idea what’s wrong with him?” Starlight asked Twilight.

“Don’t take it personally, Starlight,” Twilight advised. “He’s probably just tired. I’m sure he’ll be in a better mood when dinner rolls around.”

“He usually perks up at dinnertime,” Trixie said.

Starlight stuffed another bite of cheesecake into her mouth. “Well, let’s not worry about that now. Why not try a little bit of everything?” And with that, she proceeded to pile a heaping amount of banana pudding onto her plate, along with a slice of pecan pie. She blushed upon seeing the surprised looks from Trixie and Twilight. “What can I say? I’ve missed Spike’s cooking.” She shoved a forkful of banana pudding into her mouth, grinning and letting out a pleased moan. “Wow! Try this, Trixie!” Without waiting to hear any objections from the mare, she popped another forkful of the pudding into Trixie’s mouth, making the mare’s entire face light up in delight.

“Whoa!” the show mare cried. With her magic, she grabbed her fork.

Starlight smacked it away. “I don’t think so,” she said playfully. “Get your own if you want some so bad.”

“Fair enough,” Trixie replied. She proceeded to do just that.


Spike pulled the covers up to his neck, sighing in content feeling his head falling onto the soft pillow beneath him. In his mind’s eye, a brief memory made its presence known. He remembered being in this room along with Starlight, her standing on her hindhooves, holding him in her hooves, and playfully spinning him around, making whooshing noises with her mouth. She let go of him and he landed softly on his bed. It was at this point that a single sentence came to his attention.

“Now you be a good boy, Spikey-wikey.”

Author's Note: