• Published 5th May 2017
  • 2,589 Views, 126 Comments

Speak Up - doomie-22



Starlight Glimmer, after being gone for over a year, comes back to Ponyville for a visit, much to Spike's displeasure.

  • ...
21
 126
 2,589

Twilight's Announcement

For what felt like the umpteenth time in a row that day, Spike cast an anxious glance over at the clock on the wall opposite him. He realized that very little time had passed since the last time he had looked at it, and he sighed, drumming his claws onto the desk, one after the other like an arpeggio. Funnily enough, the drumming created two things: a distraction from the clock and a rhythmic beat in common time. He soon found himself tapping his foot and bobbing his head along with the beat of his claws. Even so, this did little to improve his mood. He let out an annoyed sigh, his eyes once again meeting the face of the clock. Only a total of twenty seconds had passed by since he’d last checked it.

“Spike?”

He looked upon his name being called to meet the eyes of Miss Cheerilee. A look of concern was on her face. “Yeah?”

“Where is your partner?” Miss Cheerilee asked. “You only have a few minutes left to sign up.”

“She’ll be here, she’ll be here,” Spike said. Come on, Trixie, you’re killing me here. He gave an irritated look at the schoolhouse door, silently hoping that at any moment Trixie would come waltzing through it. He sighed yet again when no such thing occurred, folding his arms on top of the desk he sat at and resting his chin atop them, a bored look coming across his face.

Both parties jumped, however, as the door to the schoolhouse suddenly burst opened, and entered The Great and Powerful Trixie. She gave galloping in the room, running past where Spike sat and coming to a screeching halt beside Miss Cheerilee’s desk. Her breathing was irregular. She took a big inhale of air, an idication that she was out of breath, most likely due to her having sprinted from Twilight’s castle all the way to the schoolhouse without stopping. It took her more than a minute or so to get her breathing under control. She swallowed another gulp of air before finding the ability to speak. “The . . . Great and Power . .. Powerful Trixe . . . has . . . arrived,” she stated, still panting.

Miss Cheerilee fixed the mare with a questioning look. “And you are?”

“His . . . partner . . .” Trixie replied, pointing to Spike.

“Ah, wonderful!” Miss Cheerilee thrust a clipboard towards Trixie. “Sign here, please.”

With her magic, Trixie grabbed the pen and signed both her and Spike’s names onto the sign-up sheet.

“What’s the name of your cart?” Miss Cheerilee asked.

“The Mauve Storm,” Spike spoke up.

“The Mauve Storm?” Trixie cried incredulously, turning to look at him. “No, no, no, no. Fat chance of that. We are not calling our cart The Mauve Storm. We are calling it The Dark Avenger?”

Spike glowered. “The Mauve Storm,” he insisted.

Trixie gritted her teeth, planting her forehooves on top of the desk that Spike sat in, leaning forward, glaring at him. “The Dark Avenger.”

Spike leaned forward as well until his nose touched Trixie’s. “The Mauve Storm!”

Trixie slammed a hoof against the desk, causing it to jolt, tipping forward. “The Dark Avenger!”

“I could just . . .” Miss Cheerilee said.

“It’s my cart and I say we’re calling it The Mauve Storm!” Spike cried.

“Yeah? Well, Trixie is older, so Trixie gets the final say, and Trixie says we’re calling it The Dark Avenger and that’s all there is to it!” Trixie yelled.

“I’ll, um, just leave that blank for now,” Miss Cheerilee said, giving the pair a nervous smile. She nodded to Spike. “You can go now.”

Still glaring daggers at each other, Spike and Trixie made their way out of the schoolhouse and began heading towards home.


Spike and Trixie were still arguing about the name of their cart by the time dinner rolled around. They finally settled down once Twilight called them to the table. They still scowled at one another even as they fixed their plates. Twilight, having picked up on this, gave the two a worried look. “Um, guys, is there something I should know about?”

With his eyes locked on Trixie, Spike growled through gritted teeth, “Nope.”

“Trixie is good,” Trixie replied, not taking her eyes off Spike.

Twilight swallowed. “Um . . . okay.” She coughed into her hoof and finished fixing her plate. “In that case, I have some exciting news.” She flicked back her mane with a hoof, a smile coming across her face. “You guys remember my student, Starlight Glimmer, don’t you?” Both Spike and Trixie finally took their eyes off each other to meet her gaze, their scowls disappearing entirely.

“Yeah,” Trixie said. “Trixie remembers her.” She smiled. “How could Trixie not? Starlight was here for a long time. She was Trixie’s first real friend. She only left a year or so ago. Didn’t she go back to her old village?” Twilight nodded. “Why are you bringing her up, anyway?”

Twilight beamed. “She’s coming to visit in a couple of days.”

Spike, about to take a bite of food, dropped his fork, his eyes going wide and his jaw dropping open. “She is?” he asked.

Twilight nodded. “Mm-hmm, so I’m going to need some help getting this place cleaned up. Her old bedroom could use some straightening up, too.”

Trixie sighed and rolled her eyes. “If Trixie must, then fine.”

Spike nodded. “I guess I could help out. Not like I have anything better to do.”

Twilight blinked in surprise at that. “Don’t you have the annual Applewood Derby coming up? You should be working on your cart, shouldn’t you?”

Spike’s scowl returned and he turned his head in Trixie’s direction. “Well, I would if it weren’t for somepony.”

Trixie returned Spike’s glare with one of her own. “For the last time, we are naming it The Dark Avenger and that’s final!”

“It’s The Mauve Storm,” Spike snapped, clenching a fist and slamming it down on the table, making the utensils and plates rattle.

“I have an idea,” Twilight spoke up. “How about a compromise? Why not call it The Mauve Avenger?” Both Trixie and Spike looked at her as if she’d gone mad.

“Twilight,” Spike said in a deadpanned tone, “we are not calling my cart The Mauve Avenger.”

“It’s our cart, lizard lips,” Trixie said. “Why don’t we call it The Dark Storm?”

“I’m a dragon! And that sounds even worse!”

“Enough!” Slamming both hooves down on the table, Twilight stood up, sneering at them both. “Either you two learn to work together or I’m not letting either one of you compete in the race! I’m not going to put up with this racket for the whole time that Starlight is here! Understood!?” Both Spike and Trixie nodded.

“Twilight’s right, Spike.” Trixie suddenly hooked a foreleg around Spike’s neck, Spike wincing as she did so, pulling him close and giving him a noogie. “We shouldn’t be fighting.” She giggled, only to suddenly frown when Spike angrily smacked her hoof away and pried himself off her. She sneered.”Well, fine, forget you too, buddy!”

Spike snorted irritably, going back to his seat and hastily shoving a bite of food into his mouth.

Trixie let out an excited squeal. “Ooh, I can’t wait to see Starlight again! It’s been so long since we last saw each other. Keeping in touch with her via letters was great and all, but this will be the first time we get to hang out again in over a year!”

Twilight grinned as well. “I’m excited, too. I can’t wait to hear all about how much progress she’s made in her friendship studies.”

Trixie giggled. “Yes, yes, that too.”

“How was your day!" Spike asked Twilight. "My day was great, aside from a few hiccups!” He sneered at Trixie.

Trixie sputtered her lips and waved a hoof dismissively. “Oh, are you still on about that stupid fight we had earlier? No wonder you’re in such a foul mood. Don’t let that silly, petty argument get you down.” She leaned forward, nuzzling against Spike's cheek. “Twilight’s right. If we work together, I’m sure we can come up with a solution.”

“Well, alright, then,” Twilight said. She cleared her throat, then proceeded to go into an hour-long spiel about how her day had gone, while Trixie and Spike listened with rapt attention.