• Published 20th May 2017
  • 4,297 Views, 73 Comments

Persona 5: The Phantom Thieves of Crystal Prep - Golden Flare



You tried to protect someone and ended up with a criminal record, got expelled from your school, and forced to transfer to another city to another school, and the only school that would take you is Crystal Prep. Try to stay out of trouble, please?

  • ...
3
 73
 4,297

4/9 (Sun.)

4/9, Sunday, Partly Cloudy
Afternoon

You received a chime on your phone and pull it out to see what it was, strangely enough, it was an app that you haven't even downloaded or even heard of. Curiosity getting the better of you, you press your finger on it to see what it does.

And you know the old saying: "curiosity killed the cat".

The moment you pressed the app, it was like time itself slowed down and stopped altogether. In the distance, you were able to make out a blue flame beyond the crowd, but it didn't feel like a flame. You stared at it for a little bit until it started to take shape of something you've never seen, then an playfully evil face emerged from it and the flame broke away to reveal yourself with a furrowed brow and a manic smile gracing your face.

Just then, in a flash of light, everything returned to normal, even the flame was gone. You looked back down to your phone and deleted the strange app without hesitation. With that done, you continued your trek to Cadence's home with the address marked on your phone.


After about an hour of walking, you finally arrived at Cadence's home; it looked to be a two-story house in a calm suburban neighborhood. With a little nervousness in your body, you walk up to the door and rang the doorbell, after a few seconds, the door opened to reveal a woman with pink skin, purple eyes with light blue eyeshadow, purple, pink, and gold hair, wearing a casual outfit that consists of a white t-shirt, dark purple sweatpants, and slippers.

She examined you up and down until she finally acknowledged you, "Are you the guy I'm supposed to be watching for the next year?"

You nod.

She hummed, "You know, for a problem child, you're actually pretty punctual. Anyway, come in, I'm just starting dinner."

You accept her invitation and step inside the house, she walks into the kitchen as you admire the interior; despite it being a fancy house, everything was surprisingly modest, normal couch, normal TV, everything in this house wasn't extremely fancy, but usable.

"Hey, are you coming to help? I could use another pair of hands."

Deciding that you did enough looking around, you wander into the kitchen and help Cadence with dinner, which consisted of macaroni and cheese, pork chops, and Caesar salad, and big helpings of it all too. You asked her if this was all for you two, and she giggled.

"No, my boyfriend and his family are coming for dinner tonight."

You suddenly became anxious, Cadence noticed this and placed a hand on your shoulder.

"Don't worry, I told them you were coming and that you weren't going to hurt me."

You let out a breath you didn't know you were holding and Cadence laughed.

"You worry too much, you must be scared of your predicament, aren't you?"

You didn't answer, you didn't get a chance when the doorbell rang again.

"Shoot! They're early! I'll get the door, you stir the macaroni!"

You nod and she rushes to the door, you began to stir the food lightly, so you don't wreck it. After Cadence let her family in, she guides them to the kitchen.

"...Dinner isn't completely ready yet, but I have someone helping me with it." Cadence introduces you to her boyfriend's family and you simply waved.

"So...this is the problem child we heard about?" A white skinned guy asked with caution in his tone and holding a pinkish-purple girl who looks to be your age.

"Shining Armor! Be nice!" A gray skinned woman chastised.

A blue skinned man stepped forward, "Now then, you're the new kid with the criminal record, right?" you nod hesitantly, he smiled, "Well, I think you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, if that wasn't true then you wouldn't be helping Cadence right now. You're okay in my book."

Everyone else smiled at you, except for Shining Armor and the girl, both of which seem to still be cautious of you. Soon enough, dinner was finished and you all sat in the dining room to eat, everyone initiated in dinner conversation, but you remained quiet, not wanting to interrupt, you may be sitting at dinner with these people, but you were still considered a criminal.

"...What about you?"

You look up from your food to see everybody at the table staring at you as Twilight Velvet addressed you.

"Huh?" you say with confusion.

"What do you plan to do while you're here? My daughter's going to Camp Everfree for a week, and you have school tomorrow, surely you don't intend to completely focus on your studies instead of having fun."

You should choose your words carefully...

"...I don't know. I'll have to see what this place has to offer." you answer.

Mrs. Velvet beamed, "Oh, there's plenty to do here! You just have to find what suits you best!"

You nod in confirmation and continue eating.

"Oh, and dear?"

You turn to Mrs. Velvet.

"Try not to be so reclusive. Just because you have a criminal record doesn't mean you should shut yourself away from everyone else."

You were rendered silent for the rest of dinner, as you now had a lot on your mind.


4/9, Sunday, Partly Cloudy
Evening

Not long after dinner, everyone began to leave, but the girl from before stopped to speak with you briefly.

"Um...thank you for helping Cadence with dinner...my name is Twilight...Twilight Sparkle...well, have a good night."

She and the rest of her family left, leaving me with Cadence, who walked up to me.

"Alright, time for bed, school is tomorrow and we both need our sleep. I'll show you to your room."

You decided that it was best to get some sleep, you had a feeling school wasn't going to be easy in the morning. Cadence brought to her guest room upstairs, it didn't have much, just the necessities you need to get by.

"Good night, kiddo. See you in the morning!"

With that, Cadence left you alone to your devices. With nothing to do, you decided to plop onto the bed and rest for the night. Just then, you received another chime, you grabbed your phone and saw the same app from before, you deleted it again because it was really starting to weird you out and went to sleep.

4/9, Sunday
Velvet Room

You awoke with a gasp and viewed your surroundings, it appears that you were in some kind of prison with blue velvet walls.

This is a weird dream, but...why does it feel so real? you thought.

A giggle grabs your attention to the door of your cell, you see two young girls, most likely twelve years of age, both of them wearing blue and black prison warden outfits and an eye patch on a different eye than the other. Beyond them you see a man with pointy ears, bulging eyes, bald with gray hair along the sides of his head, a big smile, and the longest nose you've ever seen, wearing a black suit, everything about this guy screamed business, seriousness, and playfulness all at the same time.

"Welcome, Trickster...to my Velvet Room." he spoke in a deep voice.

You tried opening the door, but it was no use, it felt like it was bolted shut.

"So you've come to, inmate." one of the girls said.

"The you in reality is currently fast asleep. You are only experiencing this as a dream." the other spoke.

"You are in the presence of our master, stand up straight!"

"Welcome." the man said, "I am delighted to make your acquaintance. This place exists between dreams and reality, mind and matter. It is a room that only those who are bound by a 'contract' may enter. I am Igor, the master of this place. Remember it well. I summoned you to speak of important matters. It involves your life as well."

"Let me out!" you demanded as tried the door again, but you stopped when the more abrasive girl hit the bars with an electric baton.

"Know your place, inmate! Who do you think you're talking to!?"

"Still, this is a surprise...the state of this room reflects the state of your own heart. To think a prison would appear as such. You truly are a 'prisoner' of fate. In the near future, there is no mistake that ruin awaits you."

"Ruin?" you ask.

"I speak of the end of everything. However, there is a means to oppose such a fate. You must be 'rehabilitated'. Rehabilitated toward freedom...that is your only means to avoid ruin...do you have the resolve to challenge the distortion of the world?"

"I'd rather avoid ruin." you answer.

"Allow me to observe the path to your rehabilitation." suddenly, the two girls turned about face to you, "Ah, pardon me for not introducing the others. To your right is Caroline; to your left, Justine. They serve as wardens here."

"Hmph, try and struggle as hard as you like." Caroline dared.

"The duty of wardens is to protect inmates. We are also your collaborators...that is, if you remain obedient." Justine explained.

"I shall explain the roles of these two at another occasion." Igor took over the conversation as Caroline and Justine turned back to him, "Now then, it seems the night is waning...it is almost time. Take your time to slowly come to understand this place. We will surely meet again, eventually..."

Suddenly, a loud bell rang all throughout the Velvet Room, startling you.

"Time's up." Caroline said, "Now hurry up and go back to sleep."

You tried the door one more time, but you passed out before you could do anything.