• Published 2nd Aug 2012
  • 1,551 Views, 8 Comments

Pyrophobia - Valorousspectre



Actors, Fashion, Carousel Boutique, Jealousy, Ponies on stage? And a wedding naturally.

  • ...
5
 8
 1,551

Gunmetal Gray

Chapter 8: Gunmetal Gray

Gray reappeared in front of Fluttershy’s cottage. He knocked on the door harshly. For a while, nopony answered. Then the door opened and Talisman looked out. He flinched in pain, feeling Gray’s rage, making Gray more angry.

“Yeah. I get that response a lot lately. Where’s Demonheart?”

Talisman frowned.

“Demon can’t be disturbed at the moment. We’re double checking-“

“Shut it Talisman. Where is he?”

Demonheart appeared behind Talisman, towering over both unicorns. Talisman sighed and went back inside. Demonheart looked at Gray.

“You should calm down Gray. You might hurt somepony.”

Gray didn’t change his stance, nor did his eyes change in their intensity.

“I hear you know a lot about handling rage.”

Demonheart sighed and his eyes turned red. Gray blinked in surprise. Demonheart growled with laughter. His voice was harsh.

“Rage? Little unicorn, you know nothing of rage.”

Gray looked guardedly at the pony before him.

“Demon?”

“No. Not anymore. Valour has allowed me to speak to you. I am Spectre.”

~*~

Rarity was worried. She hadn’t seen Gray all day and it was late at night. She’d gotten a message from Demonheart earlier telling her that the location for the wedding had been changed to the Lapis Theatre, but he’d told her nothing of Gray. She was lying in bed and her many fond memories of the gunmetal grey stallion raced through her mind. Tears were slipping down her face as they did so.

“Oh Gray... What happened back there...”

She went over the memory of earlier that day in her head, over and over again, just to find where she went wrong. She fell asleep with those memories still racing through her mind. For a while she still cried in her sleep. The crying became smiles as she remembered the happier times. Her and Gray watching the sunset, the gentle touch of his coat as she hugged him...
Her dreams were full of silky black hair and gunmetal grey coats.

She woke up to knocks at her boutique door. She rushed out of bed, struggling to get to the door through her tangled sheets. She threw the door open, hope flaring in her chest.

“Gray?”

Twilight, Pinkie, Rainbow, Applejack and Fluttershy stood at the door. Applejack shook her head.

“Sorry sugarcube. Ain’t nopony but us. Ya colt-friend ain’t here.”

Rarity looked at Applejack.

“What... What did you call him?”

Applejack shrugged as they filed into the boutique.

“True ain’t it?”

Rarity looked helplessly at her friends standing in front of her.

“Ho... How long have you known?”

They all shrugged. Except Pinkie. She was still bouncing. Rainbow Dash spoke up.

“Oh a while now Rarity. It wasn’t hard to see ya know. The way you two look at each other, I’d say you were made for each other.”

Rarity’s eyes lowered. The other mares gathered around her to comfort her, knowing something must have been wrong.

~*~

The theatre was decorated with almost pure white bows and streamers. The altar was situated on the stage under an unopened skylight. Demonheart was standing at the altar, waiting for Fluttershy’s arrival. His deep purple suit accentuated his purple eyes and deep red feathers. His mane was combed in such a way that both eyes were visible. He wasn’t very comfortable with that, but Spectre had insisted. Rock Ranger stood at his side, confidently wearing a similar suit, but black. The entirety of Ponyville was there, watching in the grandstands. Princess Luna and Stalwart Defender were also there in the front row. Luna flashed Demonheart a wink and smiled at him comfortingly. Demonheart smiled back, but he was still nervous. He kept hearing Spectre telling him over and over again there was no need to be nervous... But he couldn't help it. Then the doors opened and Fluttershy stepped into the theatre.

Rarity walked slowly behind Fluttershy, trying not to slip on the flower petals that were dropped by a flock of birds Fluttershy had brought in. It was a rather slow procession, but that was to be expected. The ceremony began when Fluttershy reached the altar.

Although it was a happy affair, nopony spoke while the two made their vows to each other. Rarity looked out across the sea of faces and it was all she could do not to cry. Gray was nowhere to be seen. But she had to be strong and happy. For Fluttershy’s sake. She forced herself to smile.

Backstage, Gray resisted the urge to run out to Rarity. He had to wait for the right moment to throw the switch. He smiled as he remembered how calm he’d felt after visiting Demonheart and talking to a real demon. He looked over the crowd from behind his curtain. They were watching the ceremony with avid attention. Even Pinkie Pie, sitting next to Joy Bringer, was quiet and still. He watched as Demonheart grew a gnarled and twisted horn and fashioned a golden hair clip for Fluttershy. Fluttershy giving him a butterfly earring made of sapphire...

Then came his cue.

“You may now kiss the bride.”

The newlyweds leaned in for the kiss and Gray threw the switch. Instantly the skylight above them was thrown open and the two were bathed in sunlight. The crowd gasped. It was a beautiful sight. The sunlight caught the blue of the sapphire in Demon’s ear and sent shafts of blue across the audience. Rarity’s eyes widened. She knew how those lights worked, so somepony else who knew had to be behind the curtain.