• Published 2nd Aug 2012
  • 1,551 Views, 8 Comments

Pyrophobia - Valorousspectre



Actors, Fashion, Carousel Boutique, Jealousy, Ponies on stage? And a wedding naturally.

  • ...
5
 8
 1,551

Infinite Gray

Chapter 9: Infinite Gray

The grandstands had been moved to their storage bay around the side of the building and everypony was eating and drinking with each other, happy at the wedding of two gentle residents. Demonheart and Fluttershy were swarmed with questions and congratulations along with presents. They didn’t look too comfortable about it, but they accepted graciously.
Rarity noted this with a sigh. Despite her hopes, she still hadn’t found Gray. She’d searched for almost an hour before she’d given up. He was nowhere to be found in the crowd in the theatre. But he was still here. There would be no point in leaving. His theatre was the last thing he had and he wouldn’t give that up so fast... would he?

Rarity slumped, her mind struggling to find an answer to the problem. She sat in the same spot for almost two hours. Slowly the theatre began to empty of guests. Demonheart and Fluttershy eventually left last, leaving only Rarity behind, alone as she was.

Or so she thought.

From behind the curtains on the stage, Gray observed Rarity when everypony else had left. He’d been trying to wrangle the courage to approach her all day. Now that there was nopony there, he felt a little more confident. He took a step out onto the stage and teleported down beside her silently. She didn’t notice his appearance and continued to look at the floor. Gray looked at her and sat down, looking at the ceiling.

“Yup. It’s a bit like that isn’t it?”

Rarity stiffened at the sound of his voice. She looked over at him, noting the gunmetal grey coat and black hair cascading down his back. He grinned down at her. Rarity couldn’t move. Gray’s grin turned into a sorrowful look.

“Look... Rarity. What I said was wrong. You weren’t being a silly filly... You were trying to cheer me up. What I said... It was uncalled for...”

As he spoke, Rarity’s eyes lit up. It was him!

“I know it’s difficult... but would you plea-“

His voice cut off as Rarity hugged him tightly, always aware of his refusal of anything more intimate. He hugged her back for a while, his grey coat and black mane and tail contrasting strongly with Rarity’s white coat and purple hair.

“Rarity...”

She felt a hoof pushing against her chest lightly and she leaned back out of the embrace. Gray looked at her blue eyes and a thought came to his head.

Aw hay, Forget the little purple git

He leaned in closer and kissed her tenderly.

Rarity’s eyes shot wide in surprise. He’d never done that before, and he’d always shunned her attempts. She pushed him back and looked away. Gray felt a stab of pain in his chest as she did so and he looked at her questioningly. Rarity still looked away.

“Gray... Why... Why now?”

Gray smiled slowly at the question.

“Because I was afraid...”

Rarity looked at Gray.

“What were you afraid of?”

Gray shook his head.

‘It doesn’t matter now. We’re together now Rarity...”

Rarity smiled. He was right... It didn’t matter anymore. All that mattered was that moment. In that instant, neither one wanted that moment to end. They gazed into the eyes of the one they loved. Rarity searching the depths of Gray’s deep green eyes, Gray falling deeper into Rarity’s deep blue eyes. They embraced once more, Rarity burying her head into Gray’s chest, her vision obscured by nothing but a sea of infinite grey...


Why am I such a stupidly hopeless Romantic? The world will never know.