• Published 21st Mar 2017
  • 623 Views, 16 Comments

The Test - Sun Aura



Twilight Sparkle has created a spell to detect other ponies who can use the Elements of Harmony

  • ...
1
 16
 623

Prologue

“I’ve done it!” Twilight announced as she walked in. Her friends looked up from the map table in confusion.

“What have you done?” Rarity asked.

“I’ve figured out a spell to detect other Elements of Harmony!” she said.

The seven of them looked between one another, then back to her.

“Er, care to elaborate on that Sugarcube?” Applejack said.

“Gladly!” she chirped. “Over the past few years since we first used the Elements on Nightmare Moon, a side project of mine has been figuring out how the Elements work. Now that we can power up for less, er, drastic situations, I’ve had a chance to study them! To put it simply, there are ponies in this world that have the potential to wield the Elements. Technically, it’s not so much ‘wielding’ it as a tool so much as ‘we are a physical embodiment of the magic of our elements and can turn that magic into a concentrated beam that has more power with more ponies linked together’. The physical Elements, the necklace and big crown thing, were basically training wheels to learn to harness the magic inside us.

“There is a small percentage of beings who can be Elements,” she continued. “If somepony who didn’t have the ability tried to use the necklaces and crown thing, it would be like waving around any necklace.”

“Not to rain on your parade,” Starlight interrupted, “But as a fellow spellmaker, what’s led you to this conclusion?”

“Sunset Shimmer,” she answered.

“Isn’t she your friend who fled to another dimension before you reformed her?” she asked.

“Yes,” she said. “At first, I thought that we were the only ones to be able to use them, and that Princesses Celestia and Luna could use them because they were Immortals. Then Sunset stole my Element of Magic. Even though using it went badly because she didn’t use it with Friendship, she was still able to get a reaction from it. She has also used the Element properly several times since then, and has added an extra power kick when combined with our own counterparts’ abilities.”

“So more Elements is more power?” she said. “How powerful are the Elements, exactly?”

“You of course know about standard Magic Level Measurement?” she asked.

“Of course, I’m a level two point five!” she replied, sitting up a bit straighter.

“Want to explain that to those of us who didn’t go to magic school?” Applejack asked.

“They probably were about to,” Rainbow rolled her eyes.

“Magic Level Measurement is a way to see Magic Power,” Twilight explained. “It’s basically your raw magical ability, without accounting for training or talent. Level one is the lowest somepony can be while still functioning magic-wise. From there it is measured in half-point increments. Level one and one point five are the most common. A level two is pretty much a guarantee to places like Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns, or similar schools for other ponies.

“The Elements’ power is relative to those using it,” she continued. “For example, when we defeated Nightmare Moon, Rarity and Fluttershy were both a two point five, Rainbow Dash and Applejack were level three, and Pinkie and I were level three point five.”

“Are you serious?” Starlight exclaimed. “You two couldn’t possibly-“

“Is there something I’m not getting?” Applejack asked.

“A level three point five is the highest recorded Magic Level!” she explained. “At least as far as non-Alicorns go. Starswirl the Bearded was the first recorded three point five!”

“So combining our magic,” Rainbow began, ignoring the outburst. “That would make the Elements’ power a level eighteen, right?”

Everyone stopped to look at her.

“What? I can do math!” she protested. “And if that level’s true, that’s nuts.”

“Actually, it’s not accurate,” Twilight said. “Your math was technically right, but you don’t add, you multiply. Usually when combining spells you just add your own magic, but because the Elements power one another, you multiply your magic. We blasted Nightmare Moon with Level 89.0625 magic.”

“Of course, adjustments happened over time!” she said, gleefully ignoring their shocked faces. “Alicorn ascension adds a full level of magic, so I am currently a level four point five, so the six of us now use level 885.9375magic. Add in Sunset Shimmer, who is a three point five as I was, and we’re at level 3100.78125!”

“Well damn,” Rainbow muttered.

They took a moment to take that in.

“Um, I’m sorry to ask,” Futtershy piped up. “How does your spell actually work?”

“Good question!” Twilight said. “Basically, it temporarily replicates the Elements of Harmony to trick the pony ‘s magic into thinking it’s with the others. For example, if I want to test a pony for Loyalty, the spell would replicate the other five Elements, which I’ve done by gathering your Magical Signatures. If they’re a Potential Loyalty, then their magic will sync up and go into Rainbow Power. By default I’ll cycle through each of the six Elements. If the pony I’m testing isn’t a potential, then nothing will happen.

“Is it safe?” Rarity asked.

“I’ve tested the spell before,” she answered. “I had to make sure the Magical Signatures were the Elements, and not our regular Magical Signatures, as no other ponies would react to our specific signatures. I tested it on Celestia, Luna, Cadence, Shining Armor and Sunset Shimmer. Sunset reacted to Magic, while Celestia reacted to Generosity, and Luna to Laughter. Neither Cadence nor Shining reacted to any.”

“So, why do we need more Elements anyway?” Rainbow asked. “I mean, more firepower’s always cool, but I think after we hit ‘more than three thousand magic’, we’re kind of awesome enough.”

Twilight didn’t answer. She stared at the floor, ears laying flat. Rarity, Fluttershy and Spike all rushed to her side, giving comfort.

“It’s a failsafe,” she said. “I-I know that one day something might happen to one of us. Maybe an accident, or one of the villains we face could actually manage to-“

She paused and let out a shaky sigh.

“There may be a time when one of us isn’t here,” she said. “I know I can’t replace any of you, but should that happen, we still need to be able to save Equestria. And if we already know who else can help, it’s better.”

The rest of them moved over to join a large group hug. The six of them could feel the Elements within them stir, but they kept a hold on it, not wanting to power up just yet.

“So, what do you need us to do?” Pinkie asked. “Is a ‘Come See If You’re An Element of Harmony’ party in our future?”

“I don’t think a party’s needed yet,” Twilight said. “But if you could spread the word about it. Start with Ponyville, then ponies you know outside, and so on.”

“Are you going to be alright, dear?” Rarity asked. “A spell like that can’t be simple, and just Ponyville’s population would be quite draining. If I see you getting tired, I will make sure you stop and get some rest. And some food. Stars, you’re going to burn through enough calories to get a good headstart on Hearth’s Warming weight gain.”

“So that’s why you’ve had me cooking everything in the kitchen,” Spike chuckled. “Seriously Twi, don’t push yourself.”

“I won’t,” Twilight rolled her eyes. “Now, would you all rather spread the word on your own, or would you rather hear me list out who should be in which quadrant of Ponyville for how long?”

The room cleared out pretty quickly after that, leaving two mares giggling to one another.

“Hey, I was thinking,” Starlight began, “any chance I could get first go at the test? Since I’m here and all. I’d love to see which Element I am.”

“Absolutely!” Twilight answered, lighting her horn.