• Published 19th Mar 2017
  • 659 Views, 35 Comments

Bardic Lore: Stabled Dreams - Rose Quill



Azure sets out to take her mind off an uncomfortable reminder.

  • ...
1
 35
 659

Chapter 5. Ultimatum

I strode down the street, rapier at my side along my barrel. I saw a few antsy looks my way, but it wasn’t often even in the frontier for ponies to walk around armed. I always got those looks. It usually deterred trouble.

Usually. I activated my awareness spell as a precaution.

I walked into the lobby of the largest hotel in the town and was immediately blocked by a huge Pegasus and, surprisingly, a diamond dog.

“Do you have an appointment?” the Pegasus rumbled.

“No, I’m afraid I don’t,” I said. “I’m simply here to ask Grindstone a few questions.”

I felt the spell alert me to sudden threats behind me and to either side.

“Pony leave sword with me,” the dog growled.

“Oh, now,” I said. “That won’t do at all.”

“If I were you,” the Pegasus said. “I’d surrender it before we even consider letting you through.”

“Were I you,” I countered. “I’d recognize how preposterous that request is.” I smirked. “I’d also smell better.”

The dog snarled and the Pegasus rose to his full - and rather impressive - height. I kept the smile on my face.

“Try it, flyboy,” I purred. “See what it gets ya.”

I’ve learned through the years that most ponies when put in a situation where the mark doesn’t stick to the script, they founder. This Pegasus was used to getting his way, the way he talked. I could see the indecision in his eyes. I could also feel that the two unidentified ponies behind me were waiting for a signal.

“Let her through, Stormcloud,” I heard a gravelly voice call from the room behind me. “No sense in causing a scene.”

The two in front of me parted reluctantly, the diamond whining slightly. I stepped through and into the back room to see a rather corpulent Unicorn sitting behind a set of ledgers. He had an iron gray mane slicked back across his head and a gold watch chain hung from his fine vest.

“Ms. Azure Foalklore,” he said, without looking up from his figuring. “Formerly of the EUP. To what should I ascribe the pleasure?”

“I’m afraid you have me at a disadvantage,” I said. “I should ask what else you know about me.”

Grindstone smiled in what he obviously was meant to be warm, but it made my stomach turn. “This is my town, young miss,” he said. “I like knowing when ponies of note enter. Especially if armed.” He looked up finally. “It’s just a necessary part of looking out for the well-being of the citizens of my town.”

“Does that involve beating a young filly?” I asked in as neutral a tone as I could.

“You must be referring to my niece, River,” he said with a disappointed tone. “She has been a trial since my sister died. Petty theft, vandalism, typical for a pony her age to fall to after such an ordeal. I take a more direct approach to discipline.”

“Does that involve her being half-starved and battered?”

He stood, his bulk revealed to be what might have once been muscle. I could see why he was respected by his guards. That type equated size with power, and I had nothing even resembling a threatening frame.

“I will not have what I do with my ward questioned by some drifter!” he seethed.

“No, I daren’t presume,” I said, lowering my voice in contrast to his thundering shout. “I am basing my question on the fact that outside of bruising that beyond a normal rambunctious filly could sustain, there is the split lip and the fact that her ribs are visible.”

“Tread carefully, Ms. Foalklore,” he said, voice lowering. “Accusations can have dangerous results.”

I smiled. “I welcome the attempt, sir,” I said, turning to my right, rapier sliding into his view. “I welcome the attempt.”

He smiled. “Good day, Ms. Foalklore,” he said, sitting again, returning to his ledgers.

I left, my spell letting me know that two ponies followed me out of the inn. I didn’t turn to look, knowing that there was no point in it. I instead turned down an alleyway and stood halfway down it. I lit my horn and waited.

Two Earth Ponies turned in after a moment and stopped, surprised to find me waiting.

“Afternoon, lads,” I said with a smile. “So, how is this to go, then? Do you just shadow me to put the worry in or should we get a wee bit uncivilized?”

They exchanged looks before spreading out a bit. I stayed relaxed, smile still on my face. The roan stallion on the left advanced and I shifted my focus slightly, feeling my smile going a little predatory.

“Ah, so it’s a dance, is it?” I chuckled. “I see we’re to go first then.”

He paused and looked back at his friend to see my rapier hovering in my aura, blade point at the base of his skull. He was standing stock still, sweat beginning to bead up on his face.

Ah, ah,” I said. “He’s to wait his turn, love. This is our dance.”

He turned and charged, I let him barrel into me, quick-stepping backward to keep my footing. I slipped my head over and pressed it into his shoulder, allowing his press to swivel me around as he continued by. I set my front hooves and bucked back into his hind quarter as he went. I didn’t hear anything break, but he did stumble and crash into the ground. I turned and faced him as he struggled to his hooves. His back left leg didn’t look to want to support his weight.

“Take a breather, love,” I said, still smiling. I heard a hoofstep up the alley and my awareness spell told me the other stallion had advanced while he thought my attention was focused on his companion.

“Now, now,” I said, prodding him gently with my blade without looking back. “Wait your turn, love.”

The stallion in front of me was finally on his hooves, one held a little gingerly. He pawed the ground.

“Don’t,” I said, squaring off to him. “You’re down a leg and I’ll not hesitate to take another.”

He glared at me, still pawing like he was preparing to charge again. I sighed and as he started, I put the pommel of my rapier into the skull of his companion and brought it flying to me. I side-stepped the clumsy charge and brought the tip of my blade across his shoulder, cutting a minor wound into his right foreleg, hobbling him and sending him back to the ground.

“Shame," I said, flicking my blade to clear it of the small spot of blood. “You had a good sense of rhythm.” I stepped over to his companion, recovering the blow to the head that I had given him. He shook his head and found the tip of my blade hovering before the tip of his nose.

“Give Grindstone my thanks for the dance,” I said. “I’ll be shaking the dust of this town from my hooves today, and River is coming with me.” I stepped back. “Now make yourself scarce.”

He stumbled to his hooves and turned tail. I gave him a mild telekinetic shove along his way and left behind him.

I spied a small flash of tan from behind a barrel across the way. I frowned and levitated it up, revealing River.

“Step out, now,” I said. “You’re going to be heading with me.”

“Where are we going?” she asked, fear in her voice. I realized she had seen the brawl in the alley.

Poor filly, I thought. All she’s known is hardship.

“Firstly, we’ll be grabbing a bite to eat,” I said, setting the barrel down behind her. “Then we’ll be off away.”

She stepped up beside me eyes downward as we walked. “What’s going to happen to me?” she asked as we entered my room.

“Well, that is entirely up to you, River,” I said and levitated out a small slip of paper and a pencil. “Remember what I said about your ticket?”

She nodded.

I ruffled her mane before I set out to repack my panniers.

“Make sure I can read it, sprout,” I said with a smile.


I was awoken in the early morning by a loud scream from River. I was climbing to my hooves when I felt a telekinetic force slam into my ribs. I felt one give a little and pain flared through my body. I gasped in pain, curling slightly. Another solid blow sent me skidding back a few feet.

“Stop it!” I heard River scream.

My eyes watering, I looked up to see River held in an Iron gray aura off to the side. Grindstone stepped into my view.

“I believe I warned you to step lightly, Ms. Foalklore,” he said, a fake smile of sympathy plastered on his face. “I guess you don’t take advice from anypony.”

“I don’t take it from abusive fools,” I gasped. Breathing was difficult and I couldn’t get the focus to bring my magic to bear. I felt a grip grab me by the horn, tight enough to make me gasp again. Grindstone lifted me up in his grip, a dispassionate look on his face.

“I could care less for the whelp,” he said. I felt his grip on my horn split into two separate points, each starting to give a tug in opposite directions. “But I won’t abide disrespect to me.”

The pressure on my horn increased, and I struggled as best I could.

“You’re hurting her!” River cried, tears in her eyes. She suddenly flew back, crashing to the ground, scattering my bedoll and coming to rest against my pack.

“I should have dealt with you after you first disobeyed me,” Grindstone growled, his attention wavering as he stepped towards her menacingly.

I saw her try to crawl away, cowering from the imposing Unicorn. Blood was starting to show from a cut on her scalp. Visions started to flash through my mind.

Her wounds from when we met.

The looks of fear on her face.

The matron of the orphanage where I was raised.

Myself looking in the brook, blackened eye and caked blood from a split lip.

Anger flared, and I felt my horn light like a torch, stopping the torsion on it. Grindstone spun back to me, surprise in his eyes.

I held my magic in full force, my rage deadening the pain. “Touch her, and they’ll never find you,” I growled.

He smirked, turning to me. “You think you can stand up to me, little girl?”

My horn flared brighter. “Any dance you call,” I said.

He started to charge his horn as well, and behind him, I saw River crawling over.

And in her mouth was my baldric.

I blocked the bolt fired at me and ripped my rapier from its scabbard, the sound of metal on wood loud in the night.

Blood spattered on the ground and Grindstone fell, my blade just through the flesh of his left foreleg above the elbow. The Unicorn tried to stand, but his leg wouldn’t support his massive weight.

I stalked forward, anger still powering my strength. I grabbed his horn in my own aura, jerking his head around to face me. I felt the temptation to complete the act he had started to perform on me, to shatter his horn, cripple him as he had aimed to do so. I tightened my grip, glaring down.

And I felt a hoof on my leg. I looked down to see River standing there. She looked up at me with a pleading look.

I released Grindstone’s horn, shoving him back and wrenching my rapier from his leg. I have to admit I wasn’t exactly gentle with that. I looked him in the eye.

“This is finished,” I said in a soft voice. “I see you or your goons even near me or this filly, I will return and make you regret it.”

I turned, levitating my baldric over and fastening it around my side to hold the rib in place. I winced with the pain. I glanced over to see River already trying to lift my pannier.

I smiled at her and lifted them and settled them on my back. “I’ll bear my own luggage, sprout,” I said. “But thanks the same.”

She held out a small slip of paper to me. I took it and read it, a smile coming to my face.

Ponyville.

I glanced over at the filly, seeing her hopeful eyes.

"I suppose we can stop by there," I said with a smile. "It's not too far out of the way."

She pressed up against me to hug me, making me hiss with pain.

"Sorry," she whispered.

I ruffled her mane. "Let's stick to words f'now," I said, slightly winded.

"And while we go, you can tell me all about yourself."

"What do you want to know?" she said.

"Whatever you want to tell," I said. "It's the journey that's important in the end."