• Published 19th Mar 2017
  • 655 Views, 35 Comments

Bardic Lore: Stabled Dreams - Rose Quill



Azure sets out to take her mind off an uncomfortable reminder.

  • ...
1
 35
 655

Chapter 3. On the Road Again

I slowly walked away, the cheers of the fillies and colts bringing a smile to my face. That, that is the reason I do this. I love seeing them smile and caper about trying to mimic my dancing.

Maybe I should start a dancing class, I thought absently. Give up the adventure entirely, always be home when Gleam comes off rotation.

The thought was nice, but, like any true pony of Foalksmill descent, I had a bit too much wanderlust. I hated being in one place for too long and no number of domestic roots could tie me down. I passed by Fluttershy’s cabin on my way home, noting its gentle warmth and inviting aura.

I looked at my cottage as I reached it. It, in contrast, held no invitation, appearing to be just a collection of logs and a thatched roof, sturdy beams, and weathered posts. It had all the invitation of a barracks house.

I sighed as I entered it and filled a mug of cider and downed it in a flash. I refilled it and went to sit on the veranda again, thoughts swirling around.

Gleam wouldn’t always be on rotation, despite his having decided to go career with the EUP instead of retiring as well when I left the 125th scouting corp. Next to Prince Shining Armor, Captain Spitfire, and two or three others I can’t bring to mind, he was a brilliant training instructor. His call to the Crystal Empire was to bring new techniques to them and oversee the implementation while the Prince dealt with their young foal.

Neither of us were home for more than a week or two at a time. Could you really call it a home, in that case? Did I even want a home? I couldn’t think straight, the memories of that night six years ago still poking my awareness.

I stood, drained my cider, and went inside. Setting the mug aside, I went over to and opened my footlocker, pulling out my old division coat, baldric drifting over to me.


“I can't believe this,” I muttered as I stared at the four ponies before me. Scarred, dirty, and malodorous, they had appeared from the underbrush less than three days into my trek.

“Believe it, lady,” the nominal leader said, a small knife held in his aura. “We can’t keep this road safe without collecting tolls.”

“No, I’m afraid that’s not what I meant,” I said, my own horn lighting up.

“I can’t believe you’re so stupid to mess with a mare who's been having a bad couple of days.” My rapier slid from its scabbard. “Let alone try to rob her.”

One of them, an Earth pony with dubious intelligence, glanced back and forth. Clearly, they weren’t used to having opposition to their ‘toll collection’ speech. He began to back up slowly.

I strode forward slowly, eyes hard. “Now, if you would, step aside. I’m willing to forego reporting this mistake in judgment.”

The lead Unicorn gritted his teeth and rushed me. I sighed inwardly, swinging my rapier down to parry his thrust and pivoting slightly to send a single back leg into his barrel, sending him tumbling to the dirt. The knife skittered away as his concentration faltered.

I pivoted back the way I had swung first, returning to a calm center facing the other three bandits. I gave a slight flourish to my steel as I took another step forward. Behind me, I heard faint scuffling in the dirt as the Unicorn tried to get to his unsteady hooves.

“Anyone else?” I asked, bringing the blade between me and them. Hoofbeats beat upon the ground behind me. I watched their faces, and when they started to smile I hopped slightly back and bucked as hard as I could. I felt my hooves connect with something that gave way with a sickening crack and a mangled cry of pain. I knew the sound of breaking bone all too well.

The dim-looking pony finally turned fully and made for the horizon. The other two, a Pegasus missing a wing and another Unicorn apparently felt they still had the advantage in numbers.

Maybe he wasn’t the dumbest of the group after all, I thought as they charged me.

Unicorns, in general, can all master a few basic spells. Telekineses, barrier spells, limited teleportation for some of the more powerful ones, and anything regarding their special talents. I had developed one that allowed me to be aware of my surroundings at all times, helpful when delving into unexplored caves. It also helped when being attacked, coincidentally enough.

I shifted to my left, raising my rapier to deflect the spectral blade the unicorn formed from his aura. As he passed, I saw a tattoo I recognized from my time the 125th division, the division motto.

A deserter, I thought angrily and spun, intentionally ignoring the Pegasus. I didn’t recognize him, and he was markedly older than me, but I felt no love for those that deserted their peers. My horn blazed brighter, a sheen starting to coat my blade. The next parry dissipated his spell, horn throwing sparks as he cried out in surprise. As I turned back, I felt my coat flare out, revealing its division patch to the Unicorn. His eyes widened for a moment.

The Pegasus landed on my back, trying to slip a crude rope bridle around my muzzle.

I smiled and rolled, pulling him under me. The grip he had on the rope faltered and when I regained my footing, I sent a swift kick to the ribs, feeling one give under the force.

“Now,” I panted. “I am rather put out with you lot.” I aimed the point of my rapier at the standing Unicorn, who had just started levitating the fallen knife. I let the inner fury show on my face. “I shall count to ten, and you had best be gone by then.”

The leader stood shakily, anger in his eyes behind the pain.

“One,” I said.

The Pegasus stood, walking away slowly.

“Two,”

The leader still glared at me, not moving.

“Five,”

The uninjured Unicorn put a leg around his winged companion and started to hurry away.

“Seven,”

“Skipping numbers, wench,” the leader said.

At least, that’s what I assumed he said through the broken jaw.

“Seven and a half,” I said, stepping forward.

His companion came back and started pushing him away. They all started trotting away, one more unsteady than the other two.

Ten, I thought, replacing my rapier in its scabbard. I turned and continued on my way to the border town of Mareiettea.

“That was a nice little pick-me-up,” I said out loud. “I’m so glad I didn’t have to kill anypony this time.”

A rustling in the brush heralded the fifth bandit’s swift departure.

A smile painted it’s way across my face. I was looking forward to a nice hot meal that wasn't hay and dry oats.

Author's Note:

Character Profile
Gleam Star
Male Earth Pony
Cutie Mark: Metallic Star
Career: Sergeant Major in the EUP
Likes: Cold showers, trail rations, hot cider
Dislikes: Eggplant, disorderly brawls, mistreatment of anypony