• Published 19th Mar 2017
  • 654 Views, 35 Comments

Bardic Lore: Stabled Dreams - Rose Quill



Azure sets out to take her mind off an uncomfortable reminder.

  • ...
1
 35
 654

Chapter 6. Welcome Home

I peeked in on River again before walking out and sitting down on the veranda.

“How is she?” the purple pony seated there asked.

“Exhausted,” I said, easing myself down into my seat. “I think that was the farthest she’s had to walk before.”

“You do tend to take some long paths, Azure,” Twilight said. “Why won’t you see someone about that rib?”

I shrugged, feeling the pang of pain ripple through. “After what I almost did,” I whispered. “I should bear this until it heals.”

She frowned at me. “As a princess, I have to tell you that you were wrong in thinking that,” she said. “But as a fellow Unicorn mare, I can only imagine the fear you were in and likely would have done it too. Princess Celestia has dispatched a squad of EUP to take Grindstone into custody and help the townsponies take control of their village again.”

“Good,” I said. “Serves him right up, then.” I glanced at the door again, fighting the urge to go check on River again.

“What happens to her?” I asked.

“Well, officially,” Twilight said. “There’d be a hearing and a decision by the local magistrate. However, since this crosses several litigious lines, it falls to a higher court to rule.” She smiled.

“In this particular case,” she said, levitating a scroll over. “It fell to me. Fill out that form and we can grant temporary custody pending an official adoption process.”

I blinked back tears as I signed the document and gave it back.

“One more thing,” Twilight said as she put her pannier back on. “What are you going to tell Gleam when he gets back in a few days?”

“Oh, I’ll think o’somthing,” I said. “The big galoot has brought back surprises enough times for me, it’ll be fun to turn the tables on him.”

The princess smiled and took a few steps away before flying off. I heard a gentle hoofstep behind me.

“Who was that?” River asked sleepily.

“That, sprout,” I said, standing slightly. “Was Princess Twilight Sparkle with some good news.”

She looked at me curiously. “What?”

“Well, River,” I said with a warm smile. “She came to tell me that you can stay here as long as you want, but that my husband and I are to make sure you follow our rules.”

“Rules?” She frowned. “Uncle had rules.”

I reached out and raised her head to face me.

“You haven’t heard the rules yet,” I said. “Firstly, you’ll be expected to be at the school every day it's open.”

Her frown turned into curiosity.

“Secondly,” I continued. “You’re to mind me or Gleam if we ask you to do something. We shan't be too demanding. Just keep your room tidy or help with the dinner dishes, that sort. Thirdly, you are to get some meat on those bones there, and when we’ve both healed up a bit, we’ll go out and get you familiar with this little town.”

She threw herself forward and hugged me.

“I thought we talked about this, River,” I gasped.

She was giggling too hard to care, and I felt tears wet my coat.

Truth be told, there were a few on my face too.


Streamers and confetti shot out from the barrel of the canon, the party pony leaping out behind it with a shout of glee.

“This is going to be the bestest welcome to Ponyville party EVER!” she said, sliding over to me and River, sliding a hat on us both before hopping away to greet other ponies.

“Who was that?” River asked, reaching up to adjust the hat on her head.

“That would be Pinkie Pie,” I said. “She’ll be the one you see about any sort of party or event. And yes, she is always that happy.”

Gleam walked up behind me and nuzzled my neck.

“How’s the rib?” he whispered in my ear.

I bumped my flank into his in response. “Well enough,” I said. “Welcome home, by the way.”

River came around me and sat in front of Gleam, looking up at him.

“You’re married to Azure?” she asked directly. I love the simplicity of foals.

Gleam got down to eye level, the same goofy smile that I loved on his face. “That’s right,” he said. “I understand that you’re River.”

She nodded, then got up and walked back over to me. Gleam looked over with bemusement. River waved at me and I lowered my head down.

“He’s really big and scary,” she whispered. I tittered a bit before responding.

“Oh, aye, that he is,” I said, throwing my husband a wink. “But trust me, anything comes after you or me, he’ll use that to help us. Other than that, he’s just a big teddy bear.”

“Don’t tell her that, Az,” he said, a flush showing through his dark yellow coat. “I’m supposed to be this big, tough guard.”

I gave him a kiss and took the hat from my head and put it on his. “Don’t worry, your secret is safe with me,” I said. Then I lifted River up and put her on his back, rubbing noses with her.

“Welcome home, River,” I said. “How about we go enjoy some of that food?”

Pinkie came up to me while I sat to ease my rib a little while later.

"You should have told me you were going to have a filly, Azure!" she said.

"She was a little unexpected," I said with a smile. "But I guess some dreams just take a wee bit more to come true."

Author's Note:

And that finished the first Bardic Lore story. So, what do you think? Should I add a few more of these three in future tales?

Comments ( 9 )

Yes. You most definitely should.:pinkiehappy:

Seconded! More from the new happy family! :pinkiehappy:

Awwww that was adorable can't wait to see more

Dangit allyKitty! Now you've gone and given me a new set of ponies to fall in love with. :heart: Great story and I look forward to the further adventures of Azure, Gleam and River.

Ooooooh. I'm so happy for all of them. River has such nice ponies to look after her now. :heart:

I really loved this story. It wasn't super long but it was cerainly super sweet (minus the hurt of course). :raritystarry: Azure is an interesting character and I can't help but wonder how their family will work after this. I see there is a liitle more written to so I look forward to that. :twilightsheepish:

Looking forward to more of the Bardic Lore adventures.

How have I not found out about this side storyline until today? It's amazing!

D'awwww! :heart:
Nice work, loved it.

Login or register to comment