• Published 19th Mar 2017
  • 2,072 Views, 79 Comments

Chasing Eternity. - the frank



300 years ago, Twilight Sparkle lost Rarity. Now, they're getting a second chance. With a little more bite this time.

  • ...
9
 79
 2,072

1. Resurgat.

Year 324 Anno Novus Regno
15 June, Saturday night.
The outskirts of Manehattan.

Tee Enntee was a surprisingly discreet pony. She didn't look like it, but she was. As she sat with her coffee in one of the late-night cafés in Tartaros Kitchen, one or two ponies glanced an extra second on her before they left. But it was not that kind of discreet. She was rather young, barely 28, but had been in the business for eight years. She was a Manehattan unicorn, with chocolate brown fur and an auburn mane and tail, which she usually had tied up in a bun. Her tail also had a streak of dark red. She was not discretely coulored, but it was not a problem. In the dark, everypony was grey. And the dark was very associated with her line of work. She was discreet in the meaning, "Silent in the night, blending with the shadows and fast when it mattered."

When asked, Tee Enntee officially introduced herself as an “demi-proffessional excavator”. It was a good title, because it sounded solid enough for some to simple nod in approval, and it was obscure enough for the ones who had no idea what that meant to nod knowligly as well. If somepony kept asking her about it, she sometimes explained it as "amateur archeologist", but she didn't like that. Partly because it sounded silly, and partly because it sounded a bit to much like "grave robber". Which ironicly would have been a much more truthful description, since that was, in reality, what she did.

She had no degree on the subject, but she wasn't uneducated either. She had begun her archological studies at the Trottingham University at the age of 22, with the outspoken goal of being a fullfledged archeologist. A field trip to a digging site, where she got her cutie mark changed that goal however. Her cutie mark was two bones covered by grass, which could mean pretty much anything from trashprocurator to Osteologist, but in fact, her special talent was to find hidden or forgotten graves...

At first, it was just a way to get ahead some in her studies, but as she kept going, she discovered that some ponies were buried with a surprising amout of valuable items. And at the very least, something a pawn shop could be interested in, or the less careful second hand shops. Slowly, but surely her 'hobby' grew and in the end she decided to leave the university and start her own "business". It had been a rough start, but now, after three years, it was starting to pay big time! This year for example, she had been the source of over seventeen re-used wedding dresses. She was considering sending one or two greeting cards, especially in that case the groom had bought it from her directly.

She did have standards, though. She never dug up coffins, she just excavated old mausoleums or grave chambers. Surprisingly many wealthy ponies had those, and since they were already dead... Mostly, it was pretty boring work. Find a door, look for things, leave. Occationally there were other stuff, though. Clues hidden in plain text showing the way to a sack of gold inside a concrete badger, or a hidden chest under the last pelar on the right... It gave her work a little more value. This night promised to be something in that 'extra special' way. She looked at the moon, and then her watch. 23.30. Time to act. She left her table, gave a nod to the owner, and walked out into the darkness. It was a seven minute trot to her target for the night. The old burial ground of Dusty Hill in west Manehattan had been the subject of many expeditions for her and was more or less her “home base”. And yet, her latest target was something she found completely by mistake. Ironically, it had been by day, as well. In the far east end, there was a small hill, covered in grass and moss and surrounded by small spruces. She had checked it out thoroughly, and it was indeed just a hill. She sometimes came there to sit and watch. The grave yard was one of the more peaceful places in the busy metropol and she enjoyed bringing some coffee and a sandwich and just enjoy the silence. However, the last time, she was caught in a brief rain shower, and as she tried to run for shelter, she slipped on the wet moss and rolled down the hill and right into a big shrubbery right under the main wall. She lay there for a bit, cursing her bad luck and the pain in her legs as she noticed something white protrude under the moss. She carefully began to shove the moss and the bush aside, only to discover pure marble. Old and cracked, yes, but still marble. She had immedeately left, only to return that night. It had taken almost the whole night to remove the bushes enough to get at clear path, but it had been worth it. A mausoleum in pure chalk stone and marble. She didn't have to look for other signs, there WAS money in this, she was sure. However, she didn't have time to go inside that night, and she returned after a days rest to investigate more. But that night hadn't given any answers, rather the opposite. The mausoleum was located so that it was not to be seen from the main walkway or any paths. It had no ornaments or decorations or even any text that gave away the inhabitant. It was almost completely in ruins, and only one of the walls bare signs of it to actually be a building and not some kind of cellar. The pathway was visible, but the stairway down to the crypt itself had been blocked with stones. It was so random, almost as if... somepony had tried to blow the place up. It was a sloppy job, since she without troubles could climb down to the door, but still.

No name, no signs, and signs of sabotage. The warning signs were clear, and Tee did hesitate to enter. Perhaps it would be better just to leave it alone? But two more days passed, and she couldn't get it out of her mind. And today she had made up her mind. It was time. And here she was, standing in front of the staircase. She lit her flashlight, and begun.

The door was locked, but that was no problem. Inside was pitch black, but the flashlight showed her another staircase, much slimmer, that went down. Just a few meters, but still. She proceeded, and when the staircase ended... she could hardly believe her eyes.

The room was big. Three times bigger than the usual crypt. And it was stuffed with objects you never found in any tomb at all. Wardrobes after wardrobes, dresses at display… almost all of them covered in dust. Tee touched some of them. There was some kind of magic was at work, because except from the dust, they were in perfect condition. They had to be more than hundreds of years old though. Tee was no fashion expert, but she knew outdated when she saw it. There was also mirrors, a couch, a small teatable with chairs and an ancient sewing machine standing on a single table. She recognized the manufacturer and interestingly enough, the model. It was a Singer Magic master 21. She always kept an eye on the lastest Antique Roadshows, and she had seen on of theese being sold for over 10.000 bits! And that one had been rather scruffy, but this... this was in mint condition! This was no tomb, it was a fashion salon!

And then she noticed the coffin and the writing on the wall.

She stared at the writing, then the coffin, back and fourth for a couple of minutes. How could she miss THAT when she entered? The writing was done by a hoof dippen in brown paint and read TWILIGHT SPARKLE. The coffin was made of stone, black granite to be precise, and, placed on a base in the centre of the room. A glass lid, apparantly once placed on top of it, lay shattered on the floor. Alright. This is weird. I mean... princess Twilight is not seen much, but she isn't DEAD... No. Screw that. It's nothing. Perhaps it was done for good luck. She thought to herself and shook her head, So what if this guy was some rich, royalfanatic and egoistic fahionista. I've seen worse. That lid... Well, at times animals like foxes or frogs could find their way in and make some muddle. Nothing strange at what the HAY is THAT?...
She had finally noticed something that was completely out of the picture. The large wooden stake that stood straight out from it. Tee wanted to run, but curiosity won. She slowly trotted up to the coffin and looked. Inside, with the stake drawn in between the ribs, was a skeleton of a unicorn. Presumably a mare, judging from the shape of the skull. Old and dusty, yes, but other than that, intact. Tee could do nothing but stare. A crypt that looked like a dress shop, a staked corpse, remains of an explosion? In that moment, Tee decided to run. Forget everything about this place and get as far away from Manehattan as she could. And yet, there she stood. Staring. Staring at the two big holes where the eyes once had been. Had the skeleton moved slightly? No, it was just her imagination. The head had always been facing her. Yes.

"I shall leave. Now. Though that door. And never return. Yes."

But she didn't move.

"No. There is nothing spooky about this. Stakes through bodies was sometimes used to keep bad spirits at bay. Only superstition. Only superstition," she murmured under her breath. And then, with determination, her magic reached for the stake... and pulled it out from the body. She closed her eyes. Nothing happened. Everything was silent. Tee noticd she had been holding her breath. She smiled an uneasy smile. Such a filly she had been, letting her imagination run wild with her. It was nothing, a bit weird, but hey. Weird was not the same as dangerous. Just superstition!

She began to look around the room and saw a couple of torches on the wall. They seemed to be working still and she lit a few. A warm, orange light filled the room. Now she could get a much better wiev of all the clothes, and perhaps get an estimated value of them! It would take a few nights to get all of it out, but it would be worth it! Perhaps she could keep this as a storage! She could sell a few of these dresses a month, and still earn a good living! So what if this was weird, it was good weird! A bright future was before her.

Tee was so deep in her own thoughts that she didn't notice the faint green light coming from the coffin. It was just a moment, and then gone, but it had been there. For Tee, it was probably for the best that she didn’t see. She didn't see how the nerve fibres, the veins and the lymphatic system begin to crawl over the skeleton and cling to it like fat, slimy worms. She didn't see muscles beginning to grow, merging with tendons and attatiching themselves to bones and soft tissues. Then the heart grew in place, and began to immideately pump blood, filling the empty veins. Then came the other inner organs and finally, flesh, skin and fur.

The resurrected pony blinked a couple of times, then she opened up her eyes. It was an alabaster unicorn, pretty young, barely thirty. She had purple mane and tail, both arranged in a delicate wave. She sat up in her coffin and streched. She had vague memories of what had happened, screaming, a loud bang, a fight and a tremendous pain in her chest. Chest.... She saw the stake on the floor. Then she noticed the room was lit and then... She saw a pony looking through her wardrobes! Such frivolity! Such insolence! She climbed out, and walked over to the pony, who didn't notice anything. She cleared her throath.

“Ehrm. Pardon me, Darling, but it’s not polite to search through private property.”

Tee spun around with a loud scream, her eyes almost popping out of her head. “You- you…”

"Yes?"

"You... You..."

Rarity frowned. "I hope you can use more than that word, darling. It won't be much of a conversation otherwise."

Tee's legs shook, she swallowed loudly, and spoke. "Where... who are you?"

“Yes, perhaps an introduction is at hoof, darling. Rarity Belle is the name. Or more accurate... Belle-Sparkle, unless something extraordinary has occured in my absence... But how rude of me! Your name, darling?”

“T-tee. Tee Enntee, ma’am.”

“Ah well, miss Enntee. A pleasure to make your acquaintance. Now, I have a lot of questions that need answers… What year is it?”

“Year … -year 324!”

The unicorn named Rarity made huge eyes and began to shout. “324... Oh no! Oh no no no! Oh, poor Twilight! My poor darling Twilight! How lonely she must have been! I was not... I expected a few years but not this long... Oh my love, how it must have hurt... But not to worry, darling! I’m coming for you! Your own Rarity will come to the rescue!" She made a dramatic pause, dragging a hoof through her mane. "But first things first! I need a mirror! I need a brush! I need a visit to a Spa! And I need to… Now, excuse me, you there!”

Tee had slowly been making her way to the entrance as Rarity turned her attention to her.

“Me? ”

“Yes, you darling. There is nopony else here. It's rude to leave someone in the middle of conversation. We were NOT done. What were you doing here?” Tee tried to back towards the stairs, but there was something in the unicorn’s eyes that made her freeze.

“Eh...hehehe, nothing! Nothing at all! I was just... passing by.”

“Passing by? I. Don't. Think. So. "
She walked over to Tee and looked her straight in her eyes. "Considering the year you told me, I have apparently been resting here for... over 200 years. That is a long time, but I DO recall an attempt to destroy my crypt. Ruffians... Anyway, since all my designs are still here, and their EXCELLENT condition, really Rarity that spell was a MASTERPIECE, where was I... Oh yes! I can tell it has not been open since. SO that leaves me with two options. Either you tell the truth, that came here by chance… Or, which is more likely, you came here to STEAL!”

In that instant, Rarity’s eyes flashed red, and she opened her mouth to reveal a set of sharp fangs.

“I HATE petty little thieves... small, unimportant creatures without any imagination of their own, trying to claim MY work to gain wealth to themselves... I am a firm believer in the Equestrian system of justice, but in this case I think I will make an exception and be my own judge. You see, two hundred years as a skeleton makes one awfully hungry…” She licked her lips, and walked closer to Tee, who couldn’t move a muscle, her legs locked up and her muscles tensed, stuck in the threatening glare of the monster before her. She didn't even dare to close her eyes, as the monster came closer and closed her maw around her neck.

But the pain never came. Instead, Rarity or whatever this was, drew back her head and looked at her more calmly. Her eyes was still red, but it was an improvement.

“However… As delicious it would be to decanter a dirty little thief… Are you any good?”

Tee raised her eyebrows in confusion, but nodded. “How much do you make a year?”

“Uhm… 34500 bits last year.” The truth will set me free, the truth will set me free...

Rarity let out a low whistle. “That is not bad. That's actually rather impressive! For somepony on the wrong side of the law. As I said… Normally, I would not hesitate a minute to eat you, darling. But I could use a servant. And who is better at the task than a thief! A thief who knows her way around the dark streets and the black markets. Who has "Discretion" painted on her forehead... Besides, it would be more than foolish to make the same damn mistake again..." The last part she murmured mostly to herself. "Are you discreet? Do you have connections?" Tee nodded. "Splendid! Then we have an agreement! I will not kill you.” Tee sighed with relief, only to find Rarity next to her in the next moment, maw uncomfortably close to her neck. “I do, however, need to mark you.”

The bite hurt terribly, and the sound of the vampire feeding from her was disgusting AND scary. But as quick as the pain had come, it was over, and Rarity was once again a few feet away from her. She was licking her lips in a rather unladylike way. “Aaaah… I needed that. Now then. That wound will never heal, as a sign of our bond. From now on and ‘til time’s end you’re MINE, thrall."
She began to walk around tee, looking at her from every angle and eyeing her critically. "You have difficult colors, but I will make your wardrobe work, darling. I will dress you as a proper servant to me! But Tee… tsk tsk… such a boring name. Not vampiric at all. I will name you… Sneaky. That is much better.”

Rarity turned away from T -Sneaky, and made a dramatic pose. She didn't even miss to place herself in a position that put half her face in the dark. “And now, Sneaky, your first mission. Feed your mistress... You shall bring me two... no, three... No, just two. That will be enough. Two young ponies here. I am quite famished, so please be quick.” Sneaky was staring at her, frozen in place. The only movement was her hoof feeling the wound on her neck. It stung a little, but was wearing off. Rarity looked annoyingly at her. “ Well, what are you waiting for? GET OUT!”

Sneaky turned, and stumbled up the stairs. Rarity followed her out of the crypt. She saw her thrall running in panic, but she was calm. Her thrall would return, if she knew what was best for her. She stepped out of the door. She looked at the stones, and with her magic, she cleared the path and stepped out in the moonlight. There, she took a deep sniff of the cool, fresh air.

“Too long… way too long. But do not worry, princess… Your Rarity is back. And this time, she WILL never leave you…”

Author's Note:

Author's notes.