• Published 19th Mar 2017
  • 2,071 Views, 79 Comments

Chasing Eternity. - the frank



300 years ago, Twilight Sparkle lost Rarity. Now, they're getting a second chance. With a little more bite this time.

  • ...
9
 79
 2,071

5. Masquerade - hide your face so the world will never find you

Princess Twilight sat in her room, fully dressed, mane done, everything was ready. All she needed to do was to walk out of that double door on her right and officially start the feast.

But she remained seated. Nope, she didn’t like parties these days.

Well, ‘these days’... These last 200 years would be more accurate. She had but to attend official parties twice a year, the others had been filtered away. That, or dumped onto Sunset, who didn’t mind them at all. But the two that was left was the most exhuberating ones. The Grand Galloping Gala, and this one, The Equinox Ball. Sure, there was the summer and winter solstices, but those weren’t PARTIES, and there she could interact with her little ponies in more direct and personal way, showing them without any garments how much they meant to her and how much she loved them.

Parties was for the rich, the lucky ones, the ponies who had money and/or connections. She had never learned to talk to those ponies, that had been Rarity's job…

And that was the bottom line: Parties tended to remind her of how lonely she was. Therefore, only twice a year, she bit her lip and put on her ‘War Suit’ The Equinox Ball was originally a celebration of Lunas return, but with Twilights succession it had turned into a ‘hail the moon princess’-thingy. Rather silly, but there was nothing to do but to attend.

Back in the days when Rarity had run the game, she had worn elaborate costumes and dressed in flamboyant colours. Now she preferred to wear a simple, discreet costume and just... blend in. At first, being discreet in a room filled with silk and sparkling colours had been a problem, until she allowed ponies to dress up as whatever they wanted and so she could get away with dressing up as a baker or a guard or a stockbroker and nopony would be the wiser.

Sunset loved these occasions. Intrestingly enough, she only had two outfits she altered between. Daybreaker, or the demon version of herself. Twilight frowned. Well, thank you, Sunset! Draw all the attention to us! But she didn't want to take away Sunset's fun. Sunset was that mare, she loved to be the center, she wanted ponies to know who she was, she wanted all the attention… All of a sudden Twilight stopped. Perhaps that was Sunsets way of helping? Take all the attention away to golden goddess and let the silver one discreetly leave before midnight? Sunset also loved to chat and twist the heads of nobles and listen to the kissing-up and then completely break them…

Sunset… She had visited her about half an hour earlier. This year, she had managed to make her mane AND tail to look like fire. She had also mentioned that it was hers and Adagios 75th anniversary and that she might leave the party early and hopefully dicreet. When Twilight had replied that with Adagio involved, discreet meant 'set a curtain on fire and jump though the window in a parachute', Sunset had thrown a pillow at Twilight and left. Twilight closed her eyes. At least she hadn't bugged Twilight about finding a date for the ball. Or a date at all.

To Twilight’s defence, she had tried. She had read the books on the subject and she was up to date with the current rules of dating. She knew it was nothing shameful or amoral about getting a new mate, especially after so many years. Falling in love was not something that was CHAINED to just one single pony, sweet Celestia, this was not the middle ages or something!

To bad her body and mind didn’t end up on the same note there, heck, even her mind contradicted her. She had been dating a couple of times,and yes, there had been a few ponies she met that got her interested to go a bit further beyond “Hello, your highness.”

They all had been white, or whitish unicorns, all with dark manes, ranging from light purple to a nuance of red so dark it looked like black. Even that time she found a red mare, it turned out she had been dying her fur. They all looked like Rarity, and shared a few of her traits. She sighed, she had to face the facts. She was bound to Rarity. And only Rarity. Because all of her dates had ended when she compared them to her love, and they all came up sub-par to the original. It was ridiculous. And then she had stopped dating.

The door opened to reveal a pony dressed as a pirate, breaking the negative spiral of thoughts. It was Parsnips, wearing his standard costume. He said it was because he wanted the princesses to always recognize him, but she knew the real reason being that he loved saying “ARRR!”

“Oi, yer ‘ighness! Ready to begin the brawl?”

She looked at the time. She was late, but there was at least five minutes until she absolutely needed to get out and get it started.

She could stay here for just a few more minutes. But she steeled herself.

“Yes. As ready as I’ll ever be.”


In more a remote part of the castle, two delivery ponies were pulling a wagon through a dark corridor. Well, one did the pulling, the other was fixing her makeup and mane.

“I told you, thrall, this was going to be easy.”

*Pant* “So...you did. I am a bit... surprised that you managed... to get us past the guards, mistress.”

“That should teach you to never doubt me again! I told you, I used to live here. I know the drills”

That she did. She knew that the guards would never leave their posts for a three-layered chocolate fudge cake with strawberries on top.

However, if said cake exploded… A full division of Zebras could walk by. Well, they would probably get stuck in the doorway... but she wasn't a full division of Zebras.

“Well, anyway. Here we are. Unload the crate.”

It was quick work to unload the crate from the wagon, and they united their magic to carry it into a door to the left. It led to the palace kitchen. There they were greeted by a unicorn chef. He was surprised by their delivery, 23 bottles of Chateau de Chasselas, but true to the mistress earlier assumptions, he just muttered something about ‘can’t trust them with a single order even…’, shrugged his shoulders and signed the notes.

And then they were left to their own. In the organized chaos that was a kitchen during a feast, Sneaky and the mistress managed to make their way a few floors up and soon they found themselves in a small alcove, next to the party. Now Rarity began to get rid of her overall with some help from Sneaky. Under the overall she wore a smart, tight dress that was modeled after Masked Matterhorn, the power pony. It would work as a sign to Twilight, and it would also cover her face in case of sticky situations. Sneaky was originally going to be Fillysecond, but to Rarity’s surprise, Sneaky had no idea who that was, and when she told her, she had refused. In the end, she had dressed up as Mare Do Well, telling Rarity that 'Somethings never went out of style'. (It was true. There was at least three others at a party, one of them wearing that mecha suit from the latest Re-boot.)

“So, thrall. Now it is the time! Time for me to shine! The crowning moment of our plan is upon us. You know what to do?”

“Enjoy the party for a while, and then leave through the front door… Isn’t that suspicious?”

“Not the slightest, thrall! If anything draws the attention, it’s people sneaking out! Somepony confidently leaving the party? That happens every time!”

Sneaky felt glad that the mistress didn’t need her. A discreet pony didn’t like huge social gatherings, but she was also a bit surprised . “Very well, mistress. But are you sure you don’t need help… Should I stay close?”

Rarity was surprised by her thralls concern and she hesitated. “Thank you, Sneaky. But… some things… needs to be done alone.” Then she spoke with a confidence sneaky suspected to be slightly false, “Don’t worry, Sneaky. I told you, this is practically my house! I will just sail through it like a ship on a nice summer day.”

***

This is not like a nice summer day! It’s not even late spring! The moment Rarity entered the actual ballroom, she had been surrounded by ponies. High and low, left and right, even over and under. It was impossible to walk in a straight path, heck, it was almost impossible to even take a few steps in any direction. And to actually find someone in this ocean of masked ponies was impossible. How the servants managed to move with their plates she had no idea, but they managed to navigate their way passed her at least four times. She had not the same luck and had helped herself to only two glasses of champagne and one canapé so far. There had also been a very close call once. Two ponies passed her, one looked like she was on fire, the other wore a dark blue dress with a few red streaks that sent signals of beauty and danger. She instantly recognized Sunset Shimmer and her spouse Adagio. She had tried to look as innocent as she could, in case they should recognize her. But as she came close enough to she hear them speak, she knew she had nothing to fear. They had their own drama.

“Be grateful that I even here attending your silly pony ball, Sunset Shimmer. Especially when you are aware that I have business to take care off in the northern sea. Important and urgent business. And yet I am here with you…”

“Look… I am grateful for that, my love but…”

“As you should. Now dance with me until sunrise.”

“But... Weren't you busy?"

"Yes. As I said, be grateful."

"...You are aware that I decide when the sun goes up.”

“I know, my love... I know.”

And then they left the room. Rarity followed them with her eyes as they walked up the stairs that led up to the slim second etage, where doors led to the more private parts of the castle. That seemed to Rarity as the perfect place to start, to get a good view and expose herself.

Unfortunately there had been guards posted at the staircase. They had told her that this was the way to the royal quarters, and no one except the princesses, Her royal highness Princess Consort Adagio Dazzle or Royal Executor Tempest Shadow was allowed up there. Rarity knew this well enough but since she couldn't go 'I know, I used to live here', all she could do was to hmpf and leave. She then walked from the stairs over to the window facing the gardens which, with all the ponies around her blocking or pushing her in the wrong direction had taken her at least 15 minutes. In the end, she ended up being mostly still, sipping on a flute of champagne and looking at the commotion that was the party. She had spotted Sneaky once or twice (She would recognize her own work from the other cheap cut-offs anyday) and she had looked rather comfortable. Well, she had that mask, but still!

To find Twilight in this mess… It can’t be done!

“Fillies and gentlecolts!” That voice. She would know it anywhere. She tried to look… Yes! There! On the top of the stairs! It was Twilight! But the other ponies flocked around her and she could see nothing, but a purple mane with a pink streak tied up in a bun. She tried to work herself closer to the stairs, but it was impossible. Everypony wanted to hear and see the princess.
“It is my pleasure and honor to welcome you to the annual Equinox masquerade. I hope you will enjoy the refreshments, the music, the dancing… and of course donate frivolously to this year's cause, school libraries for the badlands and Shadow Falls. So, without further ado, i declare the ball… Opened!”

There was cheer and whistlings, and so it begun. Finally ponies began to move, unfortunately for her, in every direction but the one Rarity needed to go. She was shoved to the right, to the back, to the left, then suddenly she was at the other side of the room, then in the middle of the dancefloor and finally at the snacks table. She sighed, and had herself a cracker with confined mushrooms. Well, the night had not been all for neigh. There were elegant frocks and outfits that she as an artist found great pleasure studying. She also got a few ideas for dress designs and decided to pay visits to a few nobles once this was all over. Discreetly, but definitely. They needed her help, and by Megan, they needed it NOW! And yet it had to wait for later. She had to focus on her cause. And she was instantly reminded of her biggest blunder.

She had tried to gain intel about Twilight's costume of course, but she had found nothing. Nopony seemed to know. Not even the maids of the castle. And she hadn't dared to ask Parsnips... The closest she had been was “It’s like she doesn’t care… she usually picks one of her old ones on the same day, dusts it off and that’s it.”

The necessity of reintroducing myself into her life grows with every second! Poor Twilight...caught in last years fashion! Or even... LAST DECADES FASHION
There was a good chance that Rarity had made the dress for her, but she didn’t remember every dress she had made. Unfortunately. She just had to hope...

Well, she knew her wife’s taste. Simple, yet elegant and with some kind of obscure twist reference. She gasped. A thought had just caught her attention.

Of course. What else, really? I just have to remember all those history lessons… Come on Rarity, think! It’s only a couple of hundred years back!

Yeah.

So...Starswirl… No, not again. Not after that time in Griffonstone. So… Flash Magnus? No, no stallions. And she wouldn’t dare to do Celestia. And none of our friends… Or Luna. Cadence… No, she’s still around. Meadowbrook? Yeah, that would fit her. Hello hello, who have we here? Green skirt, red wig, golden shoes… and she has purple fur… That is her. That must be her.

“Hello…” Rarity walked over to the mare. “Would you mind some company?” The mare backed off a little, and sad with a shy voice, “Well, ehm… no, not at all. I’m actually… alone.”

Jackpot. “Splendid! We shall have a drink!” My sense of flair never lets me down!

***

My sense of flair has never let me down before! So why now?

She had courted three mares. One Meadowbrook, one Mistmane and even one Somnambula. All had been shy with purple fur. And all of them had been nice and NONE of them had been Twilight. She sighed.

She had spent some time with each mare, warming them up and taken them to a discreet place only to find… that she had wrong. One time, the wig fell off to reveal an earth pony. The second time, they had been interrupted by a very furious marefriend and the third time… Well, she had to say she was impressed with that stallions skill in clothes crafting and make-up. Also, she had made a promise to keep calling him Felicity and they had a really nice chat about clothes and hiding who you truly were… But they had all been red herrings and now she was completely at loss what to do.

In the end she had deserted to a side corridor she remembered from her days in the castle. It was a sideway to the library, and was more or less always empty, especially on a night like this. When Twilight from time to time had got lost in her books, Rarity had retired to a small alcove from which there was a splendid view over the city. At this moment, solitude and some meditative background was exactly what she wanted. A lady does not whine. Never. But to sit alone and sigh was a different thing.

She sat there in silence without any thoughts for a while, just looking at the city, all the lights, each one resembling a pony living there and… Somewhere down there was Sneaky. Her thrall. Whom she enjoyed scaring the crap out and boss around. And for what reason? She had never been like this before… before.

“I am losing myself. Even if I have to admit I can be a bit of a drama queen at times… This is not me. I don’t enjoy being this kind of creature. And yet, here I am. Being overdramatic, flashing my fangs… I guess I felt the need to play the part of megalomanic vampire. This is not who I am,” she whispered to herself.

The answer came instantly. Yes it is.

“No!”

You know damn well it is.

“Well, I don’t like it. I am not a cruel Mitch. I am Rarity.”

Once perhaps. Not now. Not since Manehattan.

“Manehattan…. I was really a fool.”

She silenced her thoughts and looked at the moon. That’s her. I used to find comfort in that, when she was away, she still watched me at night. “I should just go away! Release Sneaky from the deal! Let her have her life back! Just…” She was whispering to herself. “I must end this. I will end this. I will go out there. I will enjoy myself, Faust knows it’s been to long. And then I will return home, and then…. Then…”

She fell silent and in the silence, her inner voice returned. Then, what?

“I don’t know…”

She hoped the voice would be silent, but she knew that she had to face the music sooner or later. After all,the inner voice was her own, and she couldn’t keep lying to herself. You know that the only thing you can go back to is how it was those last days. And you remember how that was. You know you can’t stop it. You know what you must do,

Rarity had no good answer to herself, and she was convinced her inner voice had a pinch of smugness in it now.

You need to do this. You need Twilight. You need her...

“Alright, that is enough. Stop talking. I know well enough what’s needed.”

There is no pony talking here. Except you.

“You know what I mean.”

Alright… I will be silent. For now. Don’t wait to long. It won’t be me talking then.

And so Rarity was alone without her thoughts again.

“I love her so much still. The one feeling that never ever got lost whatever happened, was my love for her. That inscription in my tomb… A bit tacky. But from the heart. Literally.”

All of a sudden there was movement somewhere behind her to the left. The sound of fabric, hooves over a floor... Yes, somepony was there with her. There had been no sound of doors. They must have been there when Rarity entered! So why hadn’t they… And then, she heard a voice.

“I’m sorry to interrupt. But… I was here when you came in and… you didn’t see me and I didn’t want to… Is something wrong? If you don’t mind me asking, that is.”

Rarity's mind rushed. She had been speaking low but… had this mare heard anything? She tried to calm herself down. She had no control over her body, but at least her voice was under control. It was dark anyway so she was probably hard to see in detail.

“No. No, not at all. And… well. It’s just. It just is, you know.”

She couldn’t see her face, but she could see how the other mare nodded in sympathy. “Yes. I know better than anypony things can be... like that sometimes. Do you want to talk about it? It usually helps to talk about it with a friend.”

“Thank you dear. But I’d rather just sit her, be silent and… just be.”

“Are you sure? Talking usually helps.”

“Oh, I know. It’s just that sometimes, even if you need it... You’re not ready to talk about your troubles.”

“ Well, may I sit down and just keep you company then?”

“Oh, of course!”

Talk about it with a friend. Heh. That’s exactly what… Now wait a minute! Only now did Rarity realise it. This voice. And now she had taken a few steps closer so that her face was visible in the moonlight. She dared to look at the pony and… Hair in a bun, black glasses, a small frock to cover the wings. The pens, the saddlebags filled with notes and books...

Princess Twilight Sparkle had come to a masquerade dressed as Twilight Sparkle.

Thank you, merciful Faust! Oh darling… the night has just begun for you...

“Well, I think it’s nice. I don’t enjoy crowds. Not on my own, at least.” My poor poor darling. This must end NOW!

“D...My dear! Not giving away that yet... deeper voice, hide yourself a little longer... This is a party! Even if I am not in the mood, that shouldn’t stop YOU from enjoying yourself!”

“I don’t…”

“Come now, surely there is SOMETHING you would enjoy down there? A dance, perhaps?”

“I’m a terrible dancer.”

“Perhaps you are, but that was not what I asked. I asked if you would enjoy it.”

“...Very much.”

“Well then! I will be your personal bad dancing partner tonight!” Rarity tried to be a bit less eager, she had to play her part as a stranger still. “I could use a distraction anyway.”

“But…”

“If we move closer to the doors, we can hear the music. Nopony needs to watch us.”

“Oh. Ok. Well then… let's go.”


The rest of the evening had been perfectly enjoyable. They had danced, very VERY badly, but how they had enjoyed themselves! Then out to the garden bar for some drinks, then some more dancing in a remote glen and finally a little stroll into the gardens. Just once had they been walking through the ballroom, and there had been some attention from a few ponies standing nearby that had rubbed Twilight the wrong way, but in that moment Sunset and Adagio had entered from a private chamber and stole everypony's attention. And so they had managed to sneak out mostly unnoticed.

They finally stopped next to a small pond, where they sat down in the grass. Rarity felt a slight bit buzzed and closed her eyes to regain focus. Concentrate. You have been a perfect gentlemare. Now let’s not destroy this by stealing a stupid kiss or putting a hoof over a shoulder or… what?

To her surprise, Twilight put her hoof over Raritys. She raised her eyebrows and looked at Twilight, and waited for her to say something. And after a moment, she spoke.

“It is almost 2 am. It’s time to take the masks off.”

Twilight sounded sad. Rarity had to react, say something, anything! “Ah, yes. It is. Ehm… Say something intelligent! Soo...Why the gloomy voice, dear?”

Rarity did a mental facehoof, but Twilight sighed. “This has been a lovely night. I haven’t had so much fun in… years. But this is where it must end. Don’t take of your mask. I won’t take of mine anyway.”

Rarity couldn’t hide her staring. “But… but why?”

“I… I can’t. I am… not in a position to reveal myself. Not even to you… my new unknown friend.” She sighed. “I have no… good experiences of this. Trust me when I say it’s better that we go separate parts now, with only a memory of a lovely evening. Go our separate ways, incognito and…”

Rarity decided to act. She could not see her love be at this low, especially when she was so close to her goal, and so she silenced her with a gentle hoof. “Oh, but you don’t have to force yourself to give me your real name. I already know who you are... “ She paused. “... Your Majesty.”

Twilight gasped. “What?”

“Oh please darling! What kind of mare do you take me for? We had not spent more than ten minutes together before I realized I was honoured by the presence of her majesty Lady Twilight Sparkle of the royal diarchy and supreme ruler of Equestria , duchess of Las Pegasus, head of House Sparkle... want me to continue or are you convinced that I know?”

Twilight turned away her head. “You knew? In spite of my disguise? And…”

Please, darling. To call that a disguise… Loud, she said, “Yes, dear. And titles mean nothing to me, if that is what you are afraid of. I had a lovely evening with a wonderful pony. And if that pony would like it… we can meet again.”

Twilight paused, and looked into Rarity’s eyes. She seemed to have a conflict with herself, but finally she spoke. “I would love to. ”

“Then it’s settled! But let’s go slow, let's not give the papers any SCANDALS! Let’s go our separate ways for now, but perhaps a dinner tomorrow? Or do you eat dinner?”

“I call it Brinner. As in breakfast/dinner?”

“How witty and spiritual! Brinner it is!” They began to walk back to the castle, when Twilight stopped and looked at Rarity.

“Aren’t you going to take of your mask?”

“Ehm… well…” She had no time to act, Twilight took her wig and mask in her magic and removed them. Once again she cursed herself to focus on the dress. As long as she was in disguise it would be easy, but without it...A million thoughts about being found out rushed through her mind. She will recognize me! She will scream! She will shoot magic at me! Oh, why didn’t i listen to Sneaky and… She prepared to run, but Twilight just stood there looking at her. No surprise, nothing. Just a shy smile. She doesn’t… recognize me? ...Why? You know what, screw it! I think about that later! Now is now and now is the moment of RARITY!

“Please dear, if you keep staring at me, I will turn into a statue.”

“Oh! Sorry, but you…You are… beautiful.”

Rarity tossed her mane and flashed her eyelids. “Oh Thank you, your majesty! I see you are a mare with great taste!”

Now Twilight blushed even more. “Please, only Twilight. At least if we are going to have brinner.” Rarity smiled, warmly and almost motherly.

“Alright, only Twilight. I think I can get used to say that.”

Again.

“So, what’s your name?”

“My...name?”

“Yes, your name. Or do you expect me to figure it out by myself?”

YES!

No!

“Um… No, of course not, your majesty. I will indeed give you my name. Now. It’s… I can't say Rarity! Not yet! She will think... but oh for Faust sake who am I... I am... I am…. Rareza y pomerance.” OH COME ON!

"Rareza. Well, meet me at the gates tomorrow at seven."

"I will be there."

And she was alone. No, the voice in her head was there."

Coward. So how do you plan to tell her then?

Shut up. One thing at the time.

Ah well. It’s your ex-wife’s life.

Rarity had no good answer to that.


Author's Note:

Meh. Once a year I update... perhaps This will be finished by 2023 or something...