• Published 24th Feb 2017
  • 4,877 Views, 71 Comments

Don't Blink - FoalsHalf



Every action has consequences but some actions MUST be taken.The Student of Twilight Sparkle will not Blink.

  • ...
17
 71
 4,877

5. Act

5. Act

There was one matter that Shooting Star needed to tend even before finding the young Trixie. She owed it to Professor Starlight to show her younger self how to teleport safely. This would be less complex than Star’s other goals but still not exactly easy by any means. A major concern was that rather than being just another mare in the crowd, Star was definitely going to be memorable to Starlight Glimmer. The young unicorn frowned as she stared at her own cutie mark. The golden star with its fiery tail trailing behind was very distinctive, especially against her silvery coat.

The last thing I need is to have Professor Starlight recognize my cutie mark the day I first show up to classes. Or would it even work that way? Star wondered. If she was going to recognize me then wouldn’t she have already done so? No, because I haven’t yet committed myself. Even if effect could precede cause, it is not immune to cause. This is a solvable problem. I’ll need to cover my mark and then? Well, I can’t be a blank flank. That would be a bit odd. So I need to draw something in its place. What, though? It has to be simple because I’m a lousy artist. It’ll need to be simple and bland and totally forgettable. I’ll just draw two lines. That will do. Simple, easy, and boring! With the proper stage paint applied, Shooting Star went in search of a young unicorn of great potential.

Appearing on the dirt road a short walk outside a small village, Shooting Star took up her role as a simple traveler stopping for food and lodging. She was a performer offering a little show for the foals in thanks for the hospitality, Shooting Star arrived in the village about mid morning. On the calendar, it was a weekend. After paying for a pleasant lunch, Shooting Star introduced herself as ‘Minerva’, ‘Mare of Mystery’ Okay, so it's a bit pretentious but it’ll hold. Besides, I’m playing a role here. I have to be the role. Now to spot a very very bright young filly with an interest in magic and a mind like a steel trap!

As expected, the young Starlight Glimmer was easy to spot.

“So? What do you think of my little show?” Shooting Star asked her after performing a small act for the village foals. As she expected, Starlight’s interest had definitely been drawn as she sat in fascination throughout the show.

“It’s amazing! Did you study at Princess Celestia’s school? I want to go there someday but my mom and dad said that if you aren’t a pony from Canterlot, you have to be REALLY good at magic.”

“I learned these tricks from a great stage mare. She was a powerful magician I met while traveling. That’s when I realized that you could find some of the best magic in unexpected places. So I travel from place to place, learning what I can.”

“Is that why your cutie mark is a road?” Young Starlight asked.

“A road?” Star answered in confusion and then looked at her flank and seeing it. “To tell you the truth I’ve never really thought about it. Sometimes I think ponies place too much importance on cutie marks.”

“Yeah, That’s true.” The filly agreed. “Miss Minerva? Can you teach me some of your magic?”

“I don’t see why not!"

And so Star spent the next couple of days tutoring the young Starlight in basic magic spells and theory, gauging the foal’s aptitude and potential. It was hardly a surprise that young Starlight clearly measured in the top one percent of unicorns in her magic potential. False modesty aside, Shooting Star was quite proud of her own abilities but she seriously doubted if she were in Starlight Glimmer’s league. At the end of the second day, ‘Minerva’ smiled and tore a sheet from her notebook and jotted down one last formula for her student.

“I have to continue my travels in the morning but before I leave, I have one last piece of magic for you to study. This is the formula for a teleportation spell. We will practice it and you must show it to nopony. This is for you alone.”

“I promise Miss Minerva!” Starlight avowed earnestly as she clutched her mentor’s notes in her magic.

It was with fascination and delight that years later Starlight noticed that her mentor had left one last hidden gift on that page.

One day Starlight would use that clue left for her and her alone to uncover the means to gain her revenge.

Author's Note:

So Shooting Star has successfully taught Starlight Glimmer safe teleportation. It also appears that she has fallen prey to the laws of unintended consequences.