• Published 15th Mar 2017
  • 1,783 Views, 19 Comments

A Stress Free Environment - SimpleDude



A story about a guy named Josh who thinks he can escape the stress of reality. He gets more than he bargained for.

  • ...
6
 19
 1,783

Ch.3 Horse on a Leash

Josh spent a good while relaxing and reading. So much so, that night had befallen. It was getting chilly out, so Josh decided to make a fire to keep warm. It was winter after all.

The fire that Josh had constructed was sparkling with joy as he laid a few more logs onto it. The sun had started to set as the day drew to a close. There was a slight breeze that blew through the camp every once in awhile that would appear to give the surrounding shrubbery temporary life as it danced in the cool air.

It was peaceful, and all was calm. At least until the equine started to stir from its prolonged nap. Josh had almost forgotten about the equine he had helped and tied up earlier that day.

As the equine started to stretch and open its eyes, Josh reacted how anyone else in his situation would. Very reasonably; that is, if running and jumping behind the nearest tree to be a reasonable reaction. Josh was not sure how exactly he would react when the equine awoke, but he was not expecting this. It didn't really matter now anyway, because it got a glimpse of him and was looking wide-eyed in his direction.

‘It seems to have a look of panic and urgency on its face, which is weird because I've never seen an animal with such readable expressions. Come to think of it, I've never seen an animal like that either,’ Josh observed from behind the tree. The equine began to squirm and try to get out of its restraints. Josh needed to calm it down, so it wouldn't hurt itself.

“It's alright, I'm not going to hurt you. You don't need to be afraid.” Even though Josh knew the equine couldn't understand what he was saying, he thought his kind and soothing tone could help calm it down. After hearing the message, the equine looked a bit confused.

“You're just saying that to give me a false sense of security.” The equine’s voice sounded like it came from someone who was scared, but who wanted to seem tough at the same time. To her, she was about to be eaten by a big scary bipedal creature from the Everfree Forest.

“This dream just keeps getting weirder and weirder.” He had a quizzical look plastered onto his face as the words slipped out of his mouth. Josh hadn't meant to say that out loud, but by now he really didn't care anymore. To Josh, this was his dream, so it didn't matter what happened. Though he didn't notice the expression on the equine’s face after he said that.

“What do you mean, ‘Just a dream’?” The equine had responded. She also now had a new look of confusion upon her face. The slight fear was still held on her expression filled face, but now with a hint of uncertainty.

“You look a bit confused, let me explain my predicament here. To start it out with, I went to the woods to have a nice and relaxing weekend of napping and reading books. Everything was normal until I woke up the day after I had arrived there. I was here, in this strange place, wherever here is. So I just figured this was all a weird dream I am having right now while asleep in my tent.”

Josh felt like he needed to get his ducks in a row and to get a sense of orientation. So why not clear things up with a tied-up equine that is the figment of imagination? Especially one that is capable of taking on a manticore.

“If this is just a dream, then why don't we let the nice thestral go, and cut her from the tree she is currently tied to, hum?” The thestral stated in a half-mock, half-babying tone.

“What? Do you think I am crazy or something?” Josh was many things, but crazy? Nah.

“Ok, that's nice, but I would really appreciate if you would be so kind as to cut this rope and let me free.” Apparently this equine had places to go and people—ponies in this case— to see.

“Before I release you, I need to know two things,” Josh strategically stated.

“Shoot.” The thestral seemed like she really wanted to get untied quickly, though, who wouldn't?

“One, what is your name and species? And two, how on Earth were you taking on a manticore?” Josh asked.

“Well, first off, I don't trust you, and second, I still don't trust you.” The equine answered, she was a bit cautious of strangers it would seem.

“I guess that response is fair enough, considering your circumstances.” Josh had manners, and he didn't want people thinking he was a rude barbarian, even if it was just a dream with a manticore and a thestral.

“Well that's fine and dandy, but don't you think it would be polite to untie the nice mare from the tree,” the equine said in a high-class voice, as if she was worth a million bucks.

“Oh, right! Sorry about that. I just wanted to, ya know, make sure you weren't dangerous or sarcastic before I let you out and… oh… oh dear. Well I guess you were being sarcastic, which means no freedom for you.” ‘Two can play that game, sunny.’ Josh was going to tame this wild mustang, because it might be interesting and funny. He also didn't want to have a boring dream that he would forget.

A single “Huff” escaped the equine’s falling features as she shot her head in another direction and held her head high.

“I guess I really don't have a choice now, do I?” There wasn't much the equine could do at this moment. She was tied up to a log and didn't have anything to cut herself free with.

“Nope,” Josh’s answer was quite smug, more so than he had intended.

“So, what do you want, now that you have my attention?” There wasn't much else that she could think of saying that wouldn't upset the human’s feelings.

“Good to hear. Let's try this again. I would like to know your name, and how you were holding your own in a fight with that manticore.” Josh was sure he covered everything he was wondering about, and was content with his questions.

It took the equine a few seconds of blank staring until she finally answered, most likely to think through what she was going to say.

“My name is Andromeda, and I am a thestral, and I was able to take on that manticore because I know how to kick some serious flank, any more questions?” Andromeda attempted to be intimidating, sadly for her, it had the opposite effect.

Josh bursted out laughing at the last part of Andromeda’s response. The only thing he was having trouble with at the moment was deciding which part was the funniest, the part where Andromeda said she can kick serious flank, or just the fact that this cute little thestral had said that.

In the end, it mattered little, for Josh had received a full dosage of natural medicine; laughter, and lots of it. Too bad the feeling wasn't mutual. Andromeda, however, couldn't respond to such an act from sheer embarrassment, so she just turned her head away with her ears folded down like a child refusing to eat their least favorite dish.

After a little while of full-hearted laughter, Josh had about as much as he could take. By now, he was just lightly chuckling while reminiscing on the previous discussion between him and Andromeda.

That little break did give his mind some time to think about what else Andromeda had said, and to get his thoughts in order. This mulling over led Josh to a conclusion of sorts. If there was one, than there were more.

“Say Andromeda, you did ask me if I had anymore questions, right?” Josh asked sincerely.

“Ugh yeah, why?” Andromeda was a little surprised to see how quickly Josh became serious. Her mood had been slightly lightened though from all of the laughter she had heard earlier from Josh.

“I was just wondering, do you happen to live in a village with other thestrals out in this forest? Are you a loner? Or is there some other living condition you are in that I haven't listed? If you don't mind me asking, that is.” Josh was genuinely curious about this topic and wanted to know.

“Well, you were close. I live in a town not too far from here, but I'm still not sure how much I can trust you. No offence, but it isn't everyday a human just magically shows up in the Everfree Forest wanting to know where civilization is.” Even though Andromeda was starting to warm up to Josh a little, she still didn't completely trust him. As Andromeda said before, a Human in this place is basically unheard of.

“Well, just how long do you think it will be until you do? I only have a few days worth of food and water with me, so I can't stay out in these woods forever.” Josh knew if this was a dream that he wouldn't need any of that, but he did want to see that town before his “dream” ended.

‘Now that I think about it, I am kind of hungry. I have never been hungry in a dream before, but I guess there is a first for everything.’ Josh was not surprised by being hungry, there weren't many things that could top the weirdness-scale of this dream.

Author's Note:

If you have anything to say feel free to leave a comment.Thanks for reading!