• Published 18th Feb 2017
  • 4,820 Views, 96 Comments

When Lightning Strikes - Necrogen Lord



A new student transfers to CHS and falls for Sunset... though there may be more to him than what they see.

  • ...
12
 96
 4,820

Chapter 10

Trevor shook as he stood outside of the theater, ticket in one hand while the other held a wad of bills in his left pocket. He had eight 20's in his hand, given to him by Charles as a means of 'ensuring comfort in a new environment'. Apparently there was enough of a budgeting gap that a hundred dollars a week or two wouldn't be noticed.

But now, the Conduit was worrying about how the actual date with Sunset would go. Would she even show up? Would he make a mess of things somehow? Will another Conduit show up and cause trouble? His mind warped and swam in the negatives of what could happen.

"Hey Trevor!"

The Conduit spun around to see Sunset approaching, waving to him with a broad smile.

"Thanks for waiting for me," she said.

"Hey Sunset, uh, y-yeah I was just waiting! Hi!" he said, trying to not fumble.

"I'm pretty excited. Couldn't stop thinking about this for a while, you know?"

"Yeah, I-I couldn't get you out of my head. The date! The date, out of my head!"

Sunset giggled at the outburst.

"Relax, I've been looking forward to the date too. You would not believe how giddy Rarity was when I told the girls about this."

Trevor felt like smacking himself for being so pathetic already, and opted to just open the door for Sunset. They walked in together and went in line to get snacks.

\\\\\\//////

"... and when they all came out in their Dinozords across the canyon!?" Trevor said. "Just when the music started playing the original theme song, too! It was amazing!"

Sunset laughed along with Trevor as they walked out of the theater, Sunset adding her own commentary while grabbing Trevor's arm.

"And when the Megazord got behind Goldar and suplexed him I thought I was gonna fly out of my seat!"

"That was awesome!"

Both of them laughed and leaned towards one another as they walked down the street. Just when their laughter started to die down, Sunset looked up at Trevor and squeezed his arm.

"I'm really glad you brought me, Trevor. I don't think I've ever had that much fun watching a movie with someone else."

Trevor looked into Sunset's eyes and smiled. They held each other's gazes for a few silent seconds until Trevor spoke.

"Sunset, thank you."

"For what? You bought everything yourself."

"I mean, for saying yes. For... you know, giving a... a weirdo like me a chance."

Sunset's smile faded as her look shifted to one of concern.

"Hey, come on, don't be like that. You're a nice guy, I'm sure any other girl would have said yes if you asked. Honestly, I'm surprised that you asked me of all people out."

Now it seemed to be Trevor's turn to drop his smile.

"What? Why would you think that?"

"Because... Trevor, I'm going to be honest with you," she said, looking at the ground, "I was a total bitch a few months ago."

Trevor blinked and shook his head.

"Yeah, I... I was pretty terrible. The kind of terrible that makes everyone into an enemy. I blackmailed students and teachers, bullied classmates and transfer students, tried to rule the school with an iron fist. Everyone in the school was always afraid, afraid that I'd do something to them. Afraid that I'd just one day spill everyone's dirty little secrets and bask in the chaos. Everyone hated me, and they had every right to. Sometimes, I just can't help but wonder how I ended up with the friends I have now," she squeezed his arm, "and how someone would want to spend time with me."

They walked in silence for a moment, stopping at the crosswalk.

"Sunset."

"What?" she said, turning to look at him again.

"The reason I asked you out. I don't want to spend time with any of the other girls. I wanted to get to know you, Sunset. I... you don't understand, but this is actually a really, really weird time for me right now. I... I just, moved out here without any time to prepare, got forced into school, and... let's just say that I've got a lot more riding on me than I'd care to admit to anyone. I've done things that I'm not proud of either, Sunset. I don't want to face any of these things, but I have to. When I came to CHS last month, I thought... I thought it'd only get worse. But, despite everything, when you met me, you wanted to be my friend."

Trevor brought his arm up around Sunset's shoulder.

"You were always there, being nice when you knew you didn't have to. You didn't have to try to be my friend, you didn't have to try, but you did. And I... I'm just so afraid of forcing any of these problems on you. I'm scared that if you find out what I'm running from... you'll... y-you'll..."

Sunset felt something wet land on her cheek. Rubbing it away, she looked up to see Trevor crying. Looking into his eyes, she could see the pain and fear he had. He's afraid of what's next, scared of messing up and hurting someone.

"I-I'm scared you'll run away too."

Sunset kept her eyes locked with his as she wrapped her arms around him, pulling Trevor down so she could rest her chin on his shoulder. Trevor slowly raised his arms and carefully held Sunset, as if she could crumble to dust if he wasn't gentle. They held each other for a few seconds before pulling away.

"Trevor," she said, "thank you. Thank you for being willing enough to give me a chance. Thank you for asking me out, because I want to do this again. I'd really like to go out again."

Trevor smiled at her, holding out his hand.

"Just name a place and say when. I'll be there for you."

Sunset returned the smile, grasping his hand with her own.