• Published 18th Feb 2017
  • 4,817 Views, 96 Comments

When Lightning Strikes - Necrogen Lord



A new student transfers to CHS and falls for Sunset... though there may be more to him than what they see.

  • ...
12
 96
 4,817

Chapter 3

"Well, it's been a blast, girls, but we need to head to class in a few minutes," Sunset said as she packed up the guitar.

The girls began to put away their instruments as well, Flash Sentry checking the door before going to Sunset.

"Hey, you said the new guy was right outside the class, right?" he asked.

"He's not there, is he?" Sunset deadpanned.

"No."

Sunset set the case down before running out of the door, looking down the hallway. Sighing, she went back into 1313 and grabbed her bag.

"I gotta go find Trevor," she said, "I'll see you girls at lunch!"

As the group said their goodbyes to Sunset, she rushed out of the room and ran through the halls, looking around for Trevor.

"Where did he go?"

Sunset stopped when she saw the student in question walking out of the bathroom. She gave a sigh of relief as she walked up to him.

"There you are," she said. "Got me worried for a second."

He ducked his head and looked away.

"Sorry, I just-"

"It's fine," Sunset said, holding up a hand. "I understand. Let's get to class, alright?"

\\\\\\//////

First period ended up being English with Ms. Cheerilee, alongside Rainbow Dash. She caught up to the two and waved to the new student.

"Hey, what's up new guy? Name's Rainbow Dash!" she said.

Trevor just gave her a glance before looking away. Rainbow didn't take offense to this, instead smiling as she shook her head.

"Yeah, he's pretty shy. No prob, I've seen worse. So, new guy, you hang around the band hall and hear us practice? Whatcha think?"

Trevor gave no response to her, simply opting to walk.

"Yeah, I bet I'd be stunned silent if I heard myself play live," Rainbow said.

\\\\\\//////

When the three made it to class, they found a row of free seats in the back of the class. Trevor took the seat farthest to the left of the class, near the window, while Sunset took the seat next to him with Rainbow on her right. Ms. Cheerilee began to take roll after everyone settled down, listing out the names as students proclaimed their presence.

"Trevor Bowick," Ms. Cheerilee called out.

The new student slowly raised his hand.

"H-Here," he said.

"Trevor Bowick, please remove the hat while in class, thank you."

"Uh, actually... c-can I keep it on?"

"Mr. Bowick, I'll have you sent to the Principal's office if you don't remove the hat."

"I have a scar, and-"

"Alright then, but I'll need a note from either a parent, a guardian or someone with a medical background to allow you to wear it after today."

Trevor nodded as he slouched back into his seat, removing a notebook and mechanical pencil from his bag.

Sunset hummed in thought as she looked at his black cap.

\\\\\\//////

"... And that, class, is why you never put a lighter in the dryer," Mr. Sombra said.

The class shared a chuckle at the geology teacher's story, Sunset grinning as she thought of something familiar happening to her when she first used a dryer.

Sunset looked to the back of the lab to see Trevor wasn't sharing a laugh with the class, instead sitting isolated at his own table as he read out of a large textbook.

She gave a sigh as she shook her head just as the bell rang above the doorway to the lab.

"Remember class, you go to lunch after this period and then straight to the last class on your schedule," Mr. Sombra explained. "Third and Fourth periods will have proper introductions for all of you tomorrow."

As the class packed up their belongings and moved to relocate to the cafeteria, Sunset walked to the back of the class to meet Trevor.

"Hey, Trevor," she greeted.

Trevor almost looked up at her entirely, but quickly looked to the side to avoid her face.

"H-Hello, Sunset," he said.

"I wanted to make sure you know your way to the cafeteria, so I thought I'd just walk with you. That alright?"

Trevor nodded slowly as he packed away the textbook. Sunset stole a glance at the cover and smiled.

"Studying on electrical engineering?"

Trevor froze as he slid the book into his bag.

"I-I-I just think electricity's a... c-cool thing to study."

"I'm not trying to discredit your opinion, I'm just saying that I can't really wrap my head around this kind of stuff, you know?" Sunset pulled out her smart-phone and turned it to him. "I can't even begin to understand how a bunch of electricity makes this thing able to take pictures and make long-distance calls without someone thinking it's magic."

Trevor stood up and, for the second time that day, locked eyes with Sunset. Now she was able to see his face in its near entirety, the pale skin and blonde hair coupled with electric blue irises, his lips pursed up in tension as he moved about.

"Y-Yeah, it's amazing how so much works with just electricity, huh?" he said.

Sunset smiled as she finally found a way to get Trevor to open up.

"So do you want to be an engineer when you graduate? Go for some high-paying job and run numbers all day?"

Sunset began to walk out of the class, Trevor following behind after a second's hesitation.

"Actually, I think I might just... settle somewhere quiet. Make a nice place out... away from the city," Trevor admitted.

"Not a fan of big cities?"

"N-No, not a fan of... well, being in a crowd, for one."

"How come?"

Trevor looked away, his face growing dark as he pulled the cap down.

"I... I'm just afraid of... p-people. You probably think that sounds stupid, and that I'm some kind of freak for thinking that, and-"

"Hey, I understand. I'm not the biggest people-person around either, but sometimes you just need someone to help you find your footing."

Trevor adjusted the strap over his shoulder as he spoke.

"I don't think I should... in any way, honestly."

Sunset frowned.

"Why?"

Trevor ducked his head down as he looked in the opposite direction.

"I... I-I don't want to talk, anymore, Sunset. I-I'm sorry, but... i-it hurts to think about."

Sunset nodded as she reached out to pat his shoulder.

"It's alright, I thi-"

zap

"OW!" Sunset shouted as her hand recoiled.

"Sunset!" Trevor said as he stopped in his tracks. "A-Are you alright!?"

Sunset blew air over the palm of her hand before shaking it a bit, hissing as she felt her skin sting.

"Yeah, just... ah, crap! What kind of static was that?"

As she looked back at Trevor, she saw that his face was contorted into one of pure fear. His hands were trembling as he seemingly reached out to her, only to take a step back.

"O-Oh God, I'm so sorry! I-I'm so sorry, Sunset!" he said before running off.

"Trevor, wait! You didn't do anything wrong!"

Sunset slowly stood up, the feeling of the shock fading away almost instantly, causing her to eye her hand curiously.

"What the Hell?"

"Hey kid, you alright?"

Sunset turned around to see a middle-aged man in a custodian outfit approach. His hair was shaven down to his head, several tattoos adorning his neck and forearms.

"Yeah, I'm alright, sir. Just a bit of static shock, and it was more surprising than painful."

"Well you best get on down to the cafeteria. Granny Smith's servin' up mozzarella sticks today."

"I will, thanks."

\\\\\\//////

Sunset set her tray down on the table next to Rarity, the girls all waiting for her word before they dug in.

"So, how was the newbie?" Dash finally asked.

"Yeah, did he have a good time learning everything about the school?" Pinkie asked.

"Turns out he's a bit more nervous than I thought," Sunset admitted, her gaze trailing off as she frowned.

The girls at the table exchanged a few looks before pressing further.

"Whatever do you mean, darling?" Rarity asked.

"Well... I ended up coaxing him out of his shell somewhat while on the way here, but when I tried to comfort him, I got a little static shock, a-"

"Oh, I used to LOVE that show!" Pinkie said.

"... Riiiiiight," Sunset said. "Anyways, I got a little shock from patting his shoulder, and he just freaked out like it was his fault. He looked like he thought he punched me, and then just ran off."

"Ran off?" Rarity asked.

"Yeah, looked terrified for some reason."

"Oh, he probably thought that it really hurt you," Fluttershy said.

"Well... okay, I guess I may have overreacted a bit when it happened," Sunset said rubbing, her neck. "I mean, it didn't even hurt for that long, just a few seconds and then I was fine."

"So ya just need to tell him ya overreacted, then," Applejack said. "Easy 'nough. All ya need to do is find him."

"Is that him over there?" Pinkie asked, pointing behind Sunset.

She turned around and examined the rows of tables behind them and, lo and behold, there he sat in the far end of the cafeteria, sitting alone while reading his textbook, his tray sitting next to the book.

"Hey, why don't we all go sit with him to show him he doesn't have to sit by himself?" Pinkie suggested.

"Good idea, Pinkie, let's go," Rarity said as she grabbed her tray.

The six all stood up and walked over to the mostly empty table, their eyes focused on the new student. He looked up from his book and blanched when he saw Sunset approach with her friends. He quickly slammed the book shut and shoved it in his bag before grabbing his tray.

"Whoa, where do you think you're going, buddy?" Rainbow said as she approached faster.

Trevor did not respond to her, instead removing himself from the seat and walking towards the exit.

"Hey, dude! We just wanted to sit with you!" Rainbow shouted over the noise of the busy lunchroom.

Either unable to hear her or refusing to respond, he pushed the doors open and walked out as several other students turned to watch the sudden interruption to their meals.

Rarity huffed as she furrowed her brow.

"Well, that was rather rude."