• Published 18th Feb 2017
  • 4,820 Views, 96 Comments

When Lightning Strikes - Necrogen Lord



A new student transfers to CHS and falls for Sunset... though there may be more to him than what they see.

  • ...
12
 96
 4,820

Chapter 2

Rainbow strummed at the electric guitar's cords lazily, her eyes glued to the clock as she and the Rainbooms waited for Sunset to arrive for practice.

"What's taking so long?" she said, leaning back.

"She probably got called up to show a new student around," Rarity speculated. "She did sign up for that program, remember?"

"Or it might have somethin' to do with all those Humvees outside," Applejack said, looking through the window.

"Do you think it has something to do with the Sirens?" Fluttershy wondered.

"Hopefully it won't have anything to do with the Fall Formal," Applejack said.

"Please, it's been months since those things happened. Who'd wanna investigate now?"

"Maybe those hunks from Supernatural?" Pinkie said as she hung upside-down from one of the room's vents.

"Pinkie, be careful up there, there's hundreds of thousands of dust specks waiting to rain down all over us if you break something," Rarity said.

"Please don't hurt yourself," Fluttershy said.

They heard a series of knocks on the door before a familiar figure walked in.

"Hey girls," Flash Sentry greeted. "How are things going?"

"Hey Flash," Pinkie greeted as she back-flipped off of the vent, landing perfectly on her feet. "We're good! Just waiting for Sunset!"

"Oh, yeah, I heard that on the intercom earlier. What do you think she got called for?"

"Don't know, but we'll just ask her later," Rainbow said. "Wanna help us practice since you're here? We need a second guitar for this one song we're practicing."

"Sure, what cord?"

\\\\\\//////

"And this is the school's library," Sunset said as she and Trevor walked by the entrance. "You can check out about five books at a time, but only for a school week, so you have to have them in by Friday if you check any out. There's also a computer lab and a printer if you need to work on something online, but it's about ten cents per paper you print out after the first ten of any week."

Trevor nodded as he looked at the door's number, keeping his eyes away from her.

His behavior was somewhat odd to Sunset, though not unfamiliar. She could recall when she first met Fluttershy in such a way, with scenarios reversed, and how she would avoid eye contact. However, his refusal to speak most of the time was a tad bit perplexing at the time. He wouldn't answer any of her questions and wouldn't ask any either.

Still, she was determined to make a good first impression, so she didn't try to bother him that much. Maybe he was just really introverted.

"So, anywhere else you'd like to see?"

He wordlessly pulled out a sheet and handed it to Sunset. She cocked an eyebrow before taking it, and examined it quickly.

"Oh, you want to know where your classes are?"

Trevor nodded.

"Well, let's see... oh, that's a heck of a coincidence! We've got the same schedule, period for period!" Sunset said.

Trevor nodded again before taking the paper.

"So when it's time for class, just follow me, alright?"

He nodded again.

"Say, by chance, do you walk here or does someone drop you off?"

"Walk," he answered.

Good, a vocal response.

"Which way do you walk from, North or South?"

"S-South."

"Great! I walk here up South with a friend! We could all walk together in the mo-"

"No, I'll be fine. I can walk on my own," he interrupted.

Sunset blinked in surprise from his sudden response and deflated a bit.

"Oh... alright, sorry."

The two walked on in silence for the next few minutes, Sunset glancing back to the new student to try and gauge anything about him. Soon, the two came across the Arts & Music section of the school, Sunset smiling as she walked up to Room 1313.

"This is where my friends and I practice in the morning," she said. "We have a band called the 'Rainbooms', and we're always open to anyone who wants to listen."

Trevor just nodded.

"Wanna come inside and listen for a bit?"

Trevor shook his head.

"Oh... okay, um... do you wanna wait out here until class starts?"

Trevor nodded.

"A-alright then," Sunset said as she walked in.

"Hi Sunset!" the five girls greeted at once.

"Hey girls, how's everyone doing?" she asked.

"We're just practicing with Flash right now," Pinkie said. "He's helping Dashie with synchronizing cords."

"How's that going?"

"Pretty good so far," Rainbow said. "So what kept ya?"

"Just showing a new student around CHS. Turns out we've got the same class schedule, so he's waiting outside until it's time for class."

"Waiting outside?" Pinkie said. "Why let him stay out there? He should come in here and hang out with us! He can have a snack from my pack!"

"I tried to get him in, but he didn't want to. He's really nervous and shy."

"Kind of shy or 'Fluttershy' shy?" Rarity asked.

"Around 'Fluttershy' shy. No offense."

Fluttershy nodded.

"He didn't even want me to walk him around school at first, but I convinced him. Didn't ask a question the entire time and didn't even look at me."

"That seems rather rude of him," Rarity said. "Are you sure he's just nervous and not being antisocial?"

"You know, I'm not so sure," Sunset remarked.

\\\\\\//////

Trevor took in a deep breath before reaching into his messenger bag, his back against the wall as he stood outside the door to 1313. He pulled out a large book with an image of electrons on the cover, the words smudged and worn off the front. Flipping to a marked page, he began to read through the text, flipping the page a second later.

He flipped through several more pages in succession, seemingly glancing at the book rather than reading it. As he did, a group of students approached from the gym doors, coated in sweat and laughing at a story that one of them was sharing.

"So then I said to her, 'Probably needs a hot beef injection,' and just laid the plate down right there!" the leading one said.

The jocks laughed at the apparent punchline, Trevor unable to hear any of them outside of his studying. As they began to walk past him, one of the jocks walked closer to the wall and, not aware of his surroundings, brushed up against the scrawny blonde. A surge of electricity ran through the jock's wet skin, a small crack snapping at he jumped back.

"GAH!" he screamed as he clutched his right arm. "Agh, shit!"

Trevor fumbled with his book as he backed away from the group of athletes, closing the book and taking a few steps back.

"Dude, you alright?" one jock with a head of messy brown hair asked as he approached the one that had gotten shocked.

"Shit, that stung!" he hissed, clutching a bicep. "Dude, what was that?" he asked, turning to Trevor.

Their eyes all fell on him, and Trevor began to panic internally. He hadn't been paying attention to his surroundings and let his guard drop for only a second. He injured someone. For all he knew, they would lynch him before his first day of school would begin.

"Hey man, you alright?" one of the jocks asked Trevor.

Trevor flinched from the question and turned around completely, running away from the group. As he did, the shocked jock ceased rubbing his arm before flexing it a bit.

"The Hell was that guy's problem?"

"I don't know. Probably a new student. He's hanging outside here," one said, motioning to the sign for 1313.

"Ah, so he's waiting for Shimmer."

"Why'd he run, though?"

"Probably thought we'd try something. Can't blame him, I mean, look at you, Bulk."

"Now I feel bad for scaring the new kid."

"Wonder where he ran off to, though."

\\\\\\//////

Trevor began to hyperventilate as he shut the door behind him, the restroom door locking as he jogged to the mirrors. He looked into them for a moment before slapping himself across the face.

"Stupid idiot!" he shouted at his reflection. "Are you trying to fuck this up!? Keep your shit under control! Don't hurt anyone, don't cause a scene! That's all you had to do, damn it! If not, they'll send you back!"

He felt the sting of tears as he trembled, leaning against the sink. A choked sob escaped his throat before he clasped a hand over his mouth. A deep inhale cut through his nostrils as he closed his eyes. He let the breath out slowly as he adjusted his hat.

"It's alright, it's alright. Just go out there and let them punch you a bit. Just don't let anything out until you're at the Site. Everything's going to work out fine, as long as I hold it in. I've just... just gotta make it through today... it's in the past... hoooo..."

Trevor walked up to the door and unlocked it, opening it to find the biggest jock waiting outside.

"Hey, there you are," he said.

Trevor felt his throat clench as his eyes widened.

"Just wanted to let you know that Blitz doesn't want to hurt you, alright? It was just a static shock thing, so it's just an accident."

Trevor blinked in confusion before he realized something.

No one here knew about him as much as he thought.

"O-oh, okay it... y-yeah, okay then."

"Jeez, you must have been terrified if you ran away from us like that. Sorry man."

"N-no, it's fine, I should have gotten out of the way."

"Oh, come on, don't say that. I feel like I owe you something after scaring you like that."

"Don't. I-I'm alright, just leave me alone, please."

The jock sighed in defeat before moving out of the doorway.

"Okay, okay, sure. But hey, if you ever need a favor, just ask ol' Bulk Biceps, that's my name, for it, and I'll help ya, alright?"

Trevor cautiously nodded.

"Alright, take care, kid," Bulk said before walking off.

Trevor released a breath as he panted, wiping away sweat from his brow as he recoiled from the fear.

'This is going to be tougher than I thought.'