• Published 23rd Apr 2017
  • 7,985 Views, 62 Comments

OFF the rails - The Winged Merchant



We all know the drill with displacing, I just didn't expect it to happen to me, as The Batter no less.

  • ...
21
 62
 7,985

Bats & Blades/Meeting a Forced Hero

School finally let out as I said bye to Sunset and her friends before heading into my van. However it was short as I felt something hit me as I fell onto my bed. I didn't know it at the time but I was going to meet another like me


I was in a new location that seemed to be in an odd pitch black room and I saw a figure in red with a sword and shield. I wanted to say "hi" and "where are we" but a look in his eyes told me I was gonna die so I whipped out my Ashley Bat as I summoned my 3 Add-Ons.

He sheathed only the sword then reached into his pouch. Soon, he pulled out a small red rod. Taking aim, he fired a stream of flames at me.

I felt them hit me and my HP lower by 50. “...Purification In Progress...” I muttered as the area began to change if only a little. The area began to add some familiar things around us. It was "Battle Time"

Attack > Competences > Magic Homerun

I moved up and prepared to strike him with an attack of important impact.

He reacted by pulling out his shield to block the attack, I could tell he felt power behind that swing because his arm was vibrating. He than attempted rammed with his shield

I was helpless to dodge it… or so it seemed at first

Attack > Competences > Long Chain

A Chain of Light struck his arm causing the shield to drop from his hand. I saw the add-on “Thanks Alpha” I shouted to the Add-On. I decied to see his stats.

Attack > Competence > Wide Angle

Link
A displaced with the looks and powers of 3 different heroes of Hyrule.
??? HP ??? CP
No Resistance/Weaknesses

He raised his blade skyward and began to channel energy into it. Once the blade was fully charged, he jumped up into the air and brought the mighty sword in an downward thrust. The moment it blade struck the ground, it sent forth a burst of electricity.

I felt the magical lightning strike all of us and I could tell one more of those could kill us.

Attack > Competences > Save Secret Base

I felt my wounds disappear as the Add-Ons looked better too. I needed a new plan, let’s see items might be all he can do to here. So let’s see what we can do

Attack > Competences > Radical Blur

Attack > Competences > Classic Drama

Attack > Competences > Impossible Embrace

His shield was literally ripped out of his arm. I also began to glow with some sort of power. Then he suddenly fell down to one of his knees from an sudden paralyzation. I heard him grit his teeth in frustration.

I smirked and walked up to him Purification will be mine. I noticed my ATK Bar, which I now noticed filled up, perfect.

Attack > Competences > Ultimate Homerun

A 4th of my CP drained as I swung with enough force to kill a Secretary in one blow as I sent him flying.

He was sent spiraling out of control. Unable to withstand the pain, he even let loose a loud scream, his body was still is intact.

Quickly, he pulled out a small brown nut and quickly threw it down at the ground. The moment it hit it, it sent out a blinding flash of light but thanks to The Secret Day, I wasn’t blinded. But I felt paralyzed, I saw Omega hover near me.

Attack > Competences > Inverse Perspective

I looked up to see my foe. I noticed he put on a mask, a mask I knew from Majora’s Mask. But I had a plan to even the odds if I needed to. I knew not to underestimate him or get cocky, but I decided to wait for him to put it on. Might as well wait for him to finish and transform.

“Hey Zacharie did you get a new mask? Whatever happened to your Frog and Cat Masks?” I joked at him.

He was about to put it on but my joke caused him freeze for just a moment, but then he put it on.

Donning the mask, he then suddenly screamed out from the pressure. Dark blue energy swirled all around him before finishing with a flash of light, my foe's body changed into that of a Fierce Deity, something like the corrupted guardians of OFF in Termina, the only difference was that his red cloak changed to an bright white. Reaching up, he lowered his hood down to reveal his face, it held similarities to three other Links.

Slowly, his eyes opened to reveal them to be nothing but bright white energy.

I stared at this "new foe" and smirked

Attack > Competence > Wide Angle

Fierce Deity Link
A displaced hero with the body and powers of a godlike demon
??? HP ??? CP
No Resistance/Weaknesses

“I don’t care if you transform into a Fierce Deity or go Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan. I’m not backing down!” I shouted at him then Epsilon began to use my items and the rest of us attacked.

Attack > Items > Silver Flesh

Attack > Competences > Entire Chain

Attack > Competences > Radial Blur

Attack > Competences > Run with Belief

However he took this moment to quickly thrust his hands into the air as an blue light of energy gathered, I quickly crouched down to allow the sphere of magic to energy my opponent's body, creating an blue barrier to surround him. He pulled out his blade and charged him head on and once I got closer, I started to furiously swing my weapon at him. The blue barrier ignored everything we threw at him, all except for Run with Belief, somehow it still managed to hurt him.

He began swinging his sword at me as I was dodging all but his first three swings. I rushed back and dodged his slashes and decided to counter.

Attack > Attack > Fierce Deity Link

I swing and struck him twice with the power of metal and meat and was shocked I didn’t do any damage.

Wait, Nayru’s love runs on a magic bar and he’s gotta run out sometime right?

But then he slowly sheathed my sword, he took a deep breath before raising his hand again. he taunted me by using the ‘bring it’ gesture.

I rushed forward as he pretend to run up only for a plan to form midway.

Attack > Competences > Attack (Omega)

...now then...

Attack > Competences > Furious Homerun

Attack > Competences > Saturated Chain

Attack > Competences > Surrealistic Tragedy

Once my attacks ended, he pulled out his blade weapon, swinging it in an spinning arc.

I felt the blow and was sent flying leaving my add-ons to act on auto mode somehow.

His barrier began to blink rapidly, hinting that it was drawing near the end of it’s duration, he then placed himself between all of the rings and thrusted his hands back. The moment the barrier drops, he swung his arm around and slammed the ground, unleashing an explosion of fire.

I got up and saw the trouble.

Attack > Competences > Save Secret Base

A huge chunk of HP restored and I tried to end this.

Attack > Competences > Magic Homerun

(Music Stop)

I saw he attempted to raise his sword to block the attack, but I knew that he knew it was no use, I heard him mutter “I’m sorry… Moon Dancer..”

...Who the hell is Moon Dancer?

Miss…

“What? I missed how is that- Well I’ll just simply-”

Attack > Attack > Fierce Deity Link (All 3 Add-Ons)

Miss...

Miss…

Miss…

“What’s going on here!?” I shouted.

I was confused, why was I missing. I kept attacking but to no avail, what’s going on here?

I began to look around hoping to find the source of my opponent's luck. However the familiar sound of a ticket being used was heard? I saw him, it seemed like his hearth restored. What happened? What did he do? More importantly, where did he get a Fortune Ticket from?

“What? Where did you...? You know what nevermind.” I said and once again got ready to duel.

Attack > Competences > Save Secret Base

Attack > Silver Flesh > The Batter

Attack > Silver Flesh > Alpha

Attack > Silver Flesh > Omega

Attack > Silver Flesh > Epsilon

However he suddenly made a hovering gear platform pop out from under him as he moved away

I simply stared and comically shouted in both confusion and pure rage “WHERE THE F%#* DID THAT COME FROM!?”

I was honestly too distracted by the very thing that made me rage when I tried to apply logic to Zelda.

Eventually, the Spinner ran outta.. Well, whatever helps it propel itself when there’s nothing to attached to, I look behind me to see him flabbergasted. So, using this moment, I decided to try and talk him out of this. “Look, whatever it is you’re after, I probably don’t have. Come to think of it, this is out of the normal from the mare of the night.” I commented.

“What are talking about you’re after me!? Why else would we be here?” I shouted back in pure rage

He blinked in confusion. “You’re in my mind, aren’t you? I mean, I’m asleep because of an Manticore attack… Right?” he asked back.

“I’m not gonna any lies ‘pal’...” I spit the word “pal” out like poison “...but if you know what’s good for you, you’d better leave now. Or else you’re gonna have… a BAD TIME.” I said angerly.

“Well excuuuuuuuuuuse me, princess! I didn’t ask to be here!” I yelled back in a mocking tone.

I nearly laughed at the hilarity of that old joke. “Welp, sorry if you’re speaking the truth pal but I can’t take any chances after you struck first.” The Batter began to change as well. He began to grow in size as his arms grew without muscles and his legs began to grow as well, but not by that much. The most notable difference was the head, it grew out as it resembled an alligator head with hundreds of teeth and pure white circles just barely touching the jawline. The clothes still stayed without much change. However the Add-Ons oddly began to melt into slag and became unusable.

He stared up at me. “Ya know what?” he said as I pulled out his bow. He then quickly notched it along the strings then took out a bomb and combined them. "FU&% YOU!" before he released the arrow straight into my gaping maw.

I roared in pain from the exploding arrow ‘*Grr* Somehow I'm literally the Bad Batter? How is this even possible? Still, I felt a huge boost to my stats and decided to finish this guy off’.

Attack > Competences > Ultimate Homerun

I swung my arm at him as I went for a critical hit.

He rolled around me quickly going into a spinning slash attack at my backside. “You know what they say, the bigger they are, the harder they fall!” he said mocking me.

I tried to smirk at him, but it was hard to tell he was. Even after he was sent flying from the back slice, so I decided to use another Competence attack.

Attack > Competences > Run with Belief

I sped right back at him and smash him with my hand.

He couldn’t react fast enough as he went skidding along the onyx colored floor, he then slowly got up and spit out blood. Followed by that he quickly took out his bow again, but instead of normal arrows, he used Silver Arrows. Taking aim, he fired at me.

“*ROAR!*” I roared out as I felt the silver arrow pierce my eye. It even knocked me down. Returning me to normal, the arrow stuck in my eye. How it did that is a true mystery.

“*Cough* Hey pal, look I’m sorry. You did strike first after all. So how about we talk it out? Alright Pal?” I said as blood leaked from my eye as I pulled it out “One Second.”

Attack > Competences > Save Third Base

My entire HP gauge restored and with the arrow out I tossed it back to him.

He blinked once, twice, three times. “Anyone would considering how you look, you summoned Rings, we’re standing in almost literal darkness, I mean I fainted from blood loss dealing with a monster, I bet you would've reacted the same way."

“Heh I guess so. Anyway friend, why don’t you just go ahead and shake my hand?” I said

He eyed me warily and took a good look at my hand. He pulled out his sword and aimed the handle at me as he held the blade. “Just wanna make sure.” he said. “My name is Jeff.. Or considering that I look different, I guess you can call me Link.” I said.

So he is another displaced like me. Huh neat.

I held the sword handle and nothing happened “Um? Is something supposed to happen?”

“Ok, so you're clean.” he said as he put his sword away, he held out his hand and took of my hand.

It shook it and said “Name’s Sans, or since I’m now The Batter you can also call me that I guess.”

“Oh, so you fell victim to this whole mess, huh? I mean the whole people disappearing act after visiting an con, yadda-yadda, etc, etc. But in my case, I opened up a treasure chest containing the Triforce that was left at my doorstep. “ he said as I let go of my hand.

“Huh, I was dressed as The Batter and I was just buying replicas of the 3 Ad-” I remember their melting condition. “...hold on for a second.”

Attack > Items > Joker (x3)

The 3 Add-Ons were fixed and healed slightly in mere seconds.

“What are those anyways and what do they do? Well, besides casting spells from what you’ve shown me.” he asked. I repeated what the Wikia online said about them.

“They’re Add-Ons, They’re enigmatic floating objects that assist their owner, thus bolstering their overall power. All of them are named after Greek letters. They act as if they are additional party members when acquired, in standard RPG fashion, even though their natures are not explained In game. Each Add-On has its own unique set of competences that allows it to play a role in the party unique to the others. One might either be an offensive caster, a healer, or a buff caster. The Batter can collect up to three Add-Ons throughout the game.” I said (Go)

He gave this some thought. “Any chance one of those could be an support?” he asked as he rubbed the back of his head. “I mean I was turned into Link and given access to a lot of equipment but sadly no partner like in His past games.. It’d be damn useful if I had something to give me info, whatever powerful being out there, whoever sent me here, never did give me any partners.. Then again, knowing the craziness around here, my partner would just like me, Displaced as someone they’re not.” he said and asked.

I shook my head sadly “Sorry, they can’t talk and are more like weapons really than allies in my opinion. But I can teach you my Competence ‘Wide Angle’, which can show a foe’s Max HP and Magic/CP and a basic description of who they are and they’re weakness or resistance, but if they’re a boss the weakness is replaced with something like ‘First Boss’ or something. Is that good enough?”

“Good enough for me.” he said with a smile, clapping his hands together.

“Alright, so just simply focus on me and only me right now. Try to picture what I’m capable of.” I said

He blinked a couple of times. “I was expecting something difficult, but ok.” I decied to aim at myself to see what he saw as well.

Attack > Competence > Wide Angle

Sans (The Batter)
A Displaced Hero who can keep up with gods
5000 HP 200 CP
No Weakness/Resistance

“A Displaced Hero? Is that what we’re called, I mean it makes sense but… Why?” Jeff asked, reaching up to take off his cap and scratch his head.

“How the hell should I know? That’s what the internet called them when I looked it up. By the way you still have the mask on.”

I heard something break, weird. “Oh! Right..” he said, reaching up and grabbed onto his face. He screamed with two different voices until he turned back to normal and put it away. “So.. We’re called Displaced?” he said crossing his arms. “Seems whoever started this whole mess, is also the cause of it. We won’t know unless we find a way back, or else go mad like Samurai Jack.” he said. I internally smirked at the reference.

The two of us continued to talk throughout the hours, mostly explaining Displaced, tokens, so on and so forth, I don’t think you people need to know all of this. Slowly but surely, the world began to fade away into a bright white light as they look at each other

“Well this seems like goodbye for now. See you on the other side Jeff. Till we cross bats and blades again Goodbye!.” I shouted to my new friend and ally.

“Don’t forget to find my token, I'm not sure where it will appear, but listen for a ringing tune, you should find my Howling Stone in your world, just sing what you hear, eventually we’ll meet high above.. Well, whichever we go, high above the clouds of your Equestria or mine. So until then, Sans!” he yelled back.

The world soon faded to white, returning the two Displaced to their respective worlds.

Purification Successful... Gained 60000 EXP.

Level 8 gained.

The Batter learned "Heroic Homerun" and it replaced "Furious Homerun" and "Save 2nd Harmony" and it replaced "Save Second Base"


I woke up and looked outside into the pitch black night and saw it was 2:40 AM. I then got out of my van and locked it and ran off at supersonic speeds once I was a safe distance from my home.

I began to run off and search for this "Howling Stone". I smirked as I ran, after all...

...I was convinced I was no longer alone in this mess.

Author's Note:

This is a crossover with DisplacedWriter's story A Forced Hero