• Published 15th Apr 2017
  • 9,091 Views, 683 Comments

The Worst of All Possible Worlds - TheTimeSword



Sunset Shimmer returns to Equestria only to find Twilight Sparkle battling a strange pony named Starlight Glimmer. Unbeknownst to Sunset, Starlight has altered the past, forcing Sunset to deal with reigniting her friendships all over again.

  • ...
25
 683
 9,091

PreviousChapters Next
World 6: Chapter 7

The crowd grew and grew, though Sunset could only join the amusement. The white mare was putting on quite a show dressed like Princess Celestia. Her silky smooth voice sang well, sending a quiver and tremor down Sunset’s back as the music accented the vocals. Flashes of cameras were going off, then suddenly the backboard of the stage lit up. Filling the curtain from corner to corner with Rarity’s face, the production ramped up quickly. Utilizing unicorn magic, two stands with film reel recorders sat on both sides of the stage, taking in Rarity’s picturesque performance and displaying it back behind her.

Sunset marveled at the impressive performance, her thoughts and emotions dulling in a curious wonder. “This is really well done,” she said, leaning to Twilight.

Twilight, however, did not respond. The purple unicorn stood somewhere else in the crowd, while a light blue unicorn stood by Sunset. “A wonderful music performance, yes, though it could use some magic,” the mare replied, surprising Sunset.

When her focus turned from the stage, so too did the mare’s. Both now shocked by the other, they stood with mouths agape. Trixie? What in Equestria is she doing here? Sunset wondered, noting the lavender cape and wizard hat atop the pony’s person. Before she could depart to find Twilight instead, Trixie gasped and rushed further into the crowd. That was odd.

Finding Twilight, Sunset took the unicorn by the shoulder. “There you are. We need to sneak behind the stage to meet Rarity when she gets done.”

A scream then went off, over the music, surpassing Twilight’s response. Both mares glanced up at the screen, surprised by the change of face behind Rarity’s performance. The orange mare gawked, then turned to the film projector, which flared against the lights. Feeling hooves unexpectedly cling to her, ponies turned with creepily happy expressions, noting who Sunset was. With a burst of speed, Sunset jumped into the air and flapped her wings, preventing her from falling back to the hungry crowd.

Of course, the pegasi were more than happy to hop into the air with her, grabbing onto her legs. “Let go!” she hollered, her face sending daggers when her words did not. Shaking loose, she barely managed to regain control over her wings before an explosion of magic erupted around her.

Floating up higher, she covered her head as another sailed behind her, launching her forward toward the stage. Upon opening her eyes, she saw a third burst of magic. All three came from the fake alicorn who was still dancing and singing, as if her performance would remain unaffected.

With a brush of speed, Sunset dodged the lob, hurling herself to the stage with a skid and tumble. The background stallions quickly rushed out of the way as Rarity maintained eye contact with the alicorn. Impressively, Rarity continued her dance, as if it were part of the show.

“What was that for!?” Sunset growled at the white mare, but the music overshadowed her words. As she drew closer, not realizing Rarity couldn’t hear over the song, the fake alicorn twirled and managed to pass Sunset. With her out front, Sunset was forced to dodge another volley of magical bolts the size of marbles. Like Rarity, Sunset danced out of the way of each shot, throwing her head back in an amazing display of narrow dodging. The balls of magic exploded above the crowd, setting the spectators ablaze with excitement, while only inspiring Rarity’s anger.

Completely out of sync, Sunset tried to duplicate Rarity’s routine. When Rarity noticed, the mare tensed up, slowing her patterns for Sunset to catch up. It gave Sunset time to get closer and ask why she was being attacked. Hearing the question, Rarity answered, pushing a hoof over her microphone first. “Nopony is going to overshadow my act! Not even a princess! I’m going to use you to improve it. And you better, or else your princess fame will be short lived!”

Threatened and worried, Sunset struck a pose, forcing Rarity to do the same. With an opportunity to think, Sunset realized following Rarity’s routine would be the best option of getting her on their side. When Rarity began moving again, Sunset did the same, trying her best to copy.

Doing the opposite of Rarity’s moves did wonders for the crowd who believed it was all part of the act, while copying the poised movements and failing only threw their belief off kilter. The music turned into a solo, diminishing the need for a singer, and allowing Rarity to completely focus on moving with Sunset symmetrically.

But Sunset still couldn’t keep up. The unicorn had practiced and practiced, memorizing the dance down perfectly. There was no way Sunset could match that sort of dedication. Instead of falling into a disgraceful display, Sunset snapped her head toward Rarity and began mimicking older parts of the dance she saw from the crowd. Rarity quickly countered, though her face was full of anger. Sunset danced closer and closer, eventually standing shoulder to shoulder. It was close enough for her to see the white horn begin to light her horn from infuriation.

Instead of allowing Rarity to continue, Sunset grabbed Rarity by her foreleg, lifting her into a dance on back hooves. Something from my world will put your show as number one! Sunset wrapped one hoof around Rarity’s back while the other held a hoof. Immediately, the crowd went insane. It wasn’t the act Rarity wanted, but it wouldn’t fail so long as Sunset had anything to say about it. Of course, being Rarity’s act, Rarity demanded dominance.

When the two twisted to twirl, Rarity went. When it came time for another, Sunset was forced to twirl abruptly, barely making it back to the white unicorn. Slapping a hoof back to the purple dress, Sunset held on tight this time, while the fake alicorn tugged on the straps of the backpack. Rarity was on a whole other level, yet Sunset didn’t refuse the challenge. Jostling back and forth for control only lit the crowd like wildfire.

Fireworks went off overhead as the two twisted outward at the same time, neither meaning to. Skidding to a stop, Rarity’s singing returned and Sunset knew the song would soon end. With a brush of her hair and a hoof to her hip, Sunset stood upright with her eyes closed, waiting for Rarity to charge back.

As if sensing the cue, Rarity returned, slithering in the silky dress around Sunset, brushing her forelegs, back, and tail. Removing the hoof from her mane, Sunset grabbed the back of the dress and dragged the mare upright. She then hoisted Rarity’s forelegs out front, blocking the crowd's view of Sunset aside from her head. At once, they danced together, as if they were one pony with two heads, Rarity being the main pony. Surprised, Rarity allowed Sunset her way, following in the hoofsteps, regardless of the awkward, bipedal stance.

When the final crescendo came and Rarity reached the peak of her song, Sunset pushed the fake wings out from the unicorn’s back. The crowd was inspired by the beauty, causing Rarity to falter ever so slightly. Only when Sunset let her own wings release, much larger than the fakes, did the crowd burst with their awestruck applause. It was not the finishing move, however, as Sunset lifted the unicorn into the air. Only a few yards off the stage, they twirled together, twisting to face one another, and landing dead center.

They stared deep into each other’s eyes as Rarity spoke the last note instead of singing it. Combined with the music ending, the crowd going wild, and the booms of fireworks, Sunset felt almost deaf to the world. Her breath was mixing with Rarity’s own as their chests heaved up and down, brushing one another. Sunset couldn’t help but smile down at Rarity, hoping her addition to the act didn’t subvert the unicorn’s desire for her own fame.

Yet Rarity’s eyes spoke a different feeling. Lidded and staring, there was a sparkle in them that trickled in the pools of blue. Her breathing faded as her lips tightened and pushed together, the purple lipstick glistening against the white fur. Sunset wanted to speak, to greet her more formally, but when she saw the fluttered gaze Rarity held, her mind grew confused. She expected anger, or at the very least, a thank you. Her brain unraveled itself once she saw the mare alluringly bite down on her purple lip. Sunset almost dropped her then and there, but quickly pulled Rarity to her hooves and backpedaled a step.

Rose bouquets rapidly littered the stage, forcing Sunset and Rarity to take a bow as the crowd’s thunderous show of appreciation filled the orange sky. Their performance had gone on for so long that Sunset’s knees were buckling beneath her exhaustion. Rarity motioned for Sunset to follow as she tucked in between the stage’s closing curtain.

Off from the stage, wooden steps curled into an alleyway with no entrance to any roads. Instead, it held one door into the building behind the platform, to which Rarity opened, revealing a gallery of extreme costumes and glorious dresses. Stallions were undressing from their armor, which was more apparent than ever that they weren’t metal, but instead plastic. Several of them congratulated Rarity, while others praised Sunset’s random addition to the performance.

A room with Rarity written upon the door was left open to the side of the costume collection. Dragging Sunset in, Rarity sealed the room, instantly worrying the alicorn. “Sorry about interfering with your performance,” Sunset apologized. “I mean, I wanted to meet you, but not like that.”

“You wanted to meet me?” Rarity breathed. Her eyelashes flowed like sheets drying in a calm breeze as she sauntered closer. “A wonderful princess like you, wanting me? What a forward mare you are. I like that.”

Impassive to whatever underlining tones Rarity sent, Sunset gave a happy nod. “You’re the last pony I need. Twilight’s probably wondering where I went, and I’m sure we can gather the other four fairly quickly.”

“Four? Twilight?” Rarity’s expression fell flat. “What exactly are you wanting from me?”

No point in going with the original lie. The others already know. “You’re a bearer of the Elements of Harmony. I need your help in defeating Discord. He’s trapped me in this world.”

“This world?” asked Rarity, her posture sharing her puzzled expression.

Guess Pinkie is the only one they told. “Flim and Flam supposedly defeated Discord, but they didn't. He changed the events for this world, destroying the natural balance, and then boosted Flim and Flam to an authoritative power. All just so he could get at me,” Sunset answered.

Rarity sent a hoof to her mouth as she giggled, a slight bit of blush flaming her cheeks. “Does everyone want to get at you? I could see why.” A knock came to the door, souring Rarity’s giddy look. “Who is it?”

“Darling, do you really have to ask?” a male voice questioned her question.

Unlocking and opening the door, Rarity kissed the stallion on both cheeks, to which replied in same. “What a marvelous showing you put on tonight. If I’d known you were going to recruit a real life princess to our performance, I would’ve put flyers in the south side of Princessland too.” The stallion appeared with another mare behind him who remained silent and shy, completely out of the conversation.

By both demeanor and the stallion’s voice, Sunset realized exactly who they were. Coming close, she smiled as she spoke. “How’s the best masseuse in Canterlot doing?”

Charmer’s eyes went wide as he blushed worse than Rarity. “Masseuse?” his voice accentuated the word. “You know of my work? But how? I haven’t worked for the public since before…” He suddenly bowed, his forehead almost striking the floor. “My apologies, Princess Sunset Shimmer. A rare compliment you have given me this day, I should not question where it comes from.”

But Sunset could only laugh. “It’s a different time for all of us, I’d say.”

“Too true.” He lifted his head at her command. “But the real reason I intrude is that there were some ne’er-do-wells at our door claiming they know the princess. I shooed them off immediately, do not trouble yourself. The famous always attract those who would lie.”

“I’m certain you’re right, but my friend was in the crowd, so it may not be such a lie,” Sunset replied, passing around Charmer and his mute companion. Berrice! Sunset patted the mare, a shock of surprise striking like lightning across the silent gal. The stallion performers were clearing out, their performance for the day finished. She followed several of them to the front of the odd, homey domicile.

The front door rattled from the outside, blocked by two mares. Both Sunset recognized. Small world, she mused. One mare, an earth pony, while the other was a unicorn. “Don’t worry, we’ve got it blocked. I’ve got no idea how they figured out this is the front entrance,” the unicorn said.

“Well, it’s not like this building is in front of a giant stage or anything,” the earth pony snottily remarked.

“Sassy Saddles, Suri Polomare. You two can move aside.”

Both the mares perked up, surprised by their names suddenly called by a mare, an alicorn, they’d never met. Of course, they did as asked, moving from the door. Tilting the knob, Sunset opened to the ever dimming light, and was greeted by the five bearers she brought to Princessland. These five also included an onslaught of fans of the show, but with her magic, Sunset separated the two groups, dragging in her friends.

“We love you Princess Sunset Shimmer!” They could hear screams of delight from the other side after the door closed, along with the return of scratching and knocking.

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “See, this is why I don’t associate with the rich and famous. They attract a weird crowd.”

“Yes. I’m sure that’s the reason,” Twilight mocked as she pushed her glasses further up her muzzle.

“How’d everyone know where to find me?” Sunset asked.

With a snort, Twilight giggled wildly. “Well, after seeing those fireworks and Rarity’s fantastic display of magic, it made me realize that I could launch a sort of magical flare. N-now, I know what you’re thinking, what type of flare could I send out to attract the others? Well, my brother was in the guard, so I’ve learned a bit about how to make specific ones. I decided on a flare in the shape of your face! I’d been working on something similar for Princess Celestia, who is easily the hardest to shape, what with her good looks, long flowing mane with multicolored stripes, and the biggest of horns and wings. She certainly is the… more... difficult…” With all eyes on her, she slowly went quiet. “S-sorry, I was rambling, wasn’t I?”

“Only a lot!” Pinkie replied honestly. “It was quite impressive!”

Pushing on her glasses, Twilight hid her embarrassment with her hoof. “Re-regardless, you put on a wonderful performance, princess.”

“My, my. You really weren’t kidding about your entourage.” Rarity came from the back with Charmer at her side, the commotion striking both their curiosities. Sassy, Suri, and Berrice all crowded in the background, refusing to get close enough to the supposed greatness that princesses brought. “Are these your servants?”

“No, Rarity, these are the ponies I was talking about,” Sunset corrected sternly. “They’re my friends.”

Charmer and Rarity glanced at each other as if the word was foreign to them both. The stallion then pointed to the door, which still echoed scratches and knocks. “My dear Rarity, your performance has roused far more fans than usual. Perhaps it best if you escape before they knock the door down.” He then went to Sunset pointing at the bags beneath her eyes. “Look at this beauty. You’ve worn her down!”

“Well, we could use a place to stay. The castle really isn’t within our grasp,” Sunset replied.

Rarity’s grin went wide. “I’d love it if you would join me at my place, princess.”

“Awesome! The girls will probably want to sleep before they head off and—” Sunset started, only to be cut off by Rarity.

“Oh. They’ll be joining us?” She hummed, a flash of disappointment crossing her glittered face. “I don’t think my home is big enough. It’s barely enough for me and my gowns.”

“But, ah!” Charmer exclaimed, surprising Sunset with his sudden expressive loudness. “You can use my place! I rarely return there as it is.” Lifting a hoof into his flowing mane, he pulled out a yellow key and tossed it to Rarity. “We cannot disappoint a princess, now can we?”

Applejack giggled and prodded Sunset on the rump. “He’s a real charmer, ain’t he?” she stated, clearly attempting to embarrass Sunset.

Of course, that backfired when he replied, “Why, yes, that is my name.” Extending a hoof, he gave a glorious smile, causing Applejack to blush.

A flash glinted Sunset’s brain with a cozy bath, steam hitting the ceiling as hooves graced her back. The stallion spoke and Applejack answered. But with the recent memory of the museum so close in her mind, she couldn’t help realize that both Applejack and Sombra had betrayed her, though the betrayals were on very different degrees. For some reason, it sent a smile to her lips instead of a frown.

Breaking away from her past, Sunset announced she’d like to leave as soon as possible.

Rarity, though reluctant to bring the five other mares Sunset called ‘friends’, lead the group out a second backroom. With night coming soon, they managed to steady their hooves away from crowds and tourists. It was a difficult journey, only made worse by the flowing purple dress Rarity wore, which stood out from the beige and cream walls of the city, along with the fake white wings and dyed mane.

Princessland’s changes also put them in a predicament. Without Rarity as their guide, they’d have been lucky to come across the sole alleyways and backstreets that still remained within the city. And without the five surrounding Sunset, hiding her color and cutie mark, she undoubtedly would’ve been seen from a street away.

When they made it without incident, they found the home sat on the second floor above a shop. The store below looked to be an old massage parlor, which was being transformed into a clothing store, with many of the aged massage chairs sitting out upon the curb. Up wooden stairs in the back, Rarity unlocked the moderate home and immediately went to work closing the blinds and curtains.

Rainbow Dash threw herself on the couch, to which Applejack sat on the opposite end. Pinkie searched the fridge and cabinets, though Sunset could only guess if she was looking for paper or food. Twilight and Fluttershy stood by the door, one more awkward than the other. “Well. I suppose I should stay here too. If the crowds spot me as I am, they’ll want to know all about you,” Rarity mentioned, glancing at Sunset with a pouting smile.

“That’s fine. Hey, girls,” she said loudly to the five. “Get some rest. You all leave in the morning.” The command did not fall flat, though if she weren’t a princess she feared it would have. “I’ll explain everything to you, Rarity. Hopefully you won’t freak out like somepony else.” She shot a look to Twilight who nervously waved a hoof before disappearing down a hall to the bedrooms.

Only Rainbow Dash remained, sitting still on the couch with her forelegs behind her neck and her back legs firmly planted on the edge. “I’ve probably got the longest traveling to do. I’ll sleep on the train. Or I won’t. I don’t care. Ain’t gonna be hard to find what we’re looking for in the Badlands. Nothing out there unless it’s written in rock and sand.”

Sunset held her tongue, thinking of the group of dragons who cautiously hid within a pillar of red earth. She wondered what became of Princess Ember within this chaotic world. “Actually,” Rarity cut off Sunset’s memory with a flick of her hoof. “The Badlands became overrun with dragons. Haven’t you heard? Those Flim and Flam brothers bought their services. Now I think they dig for gems or something, and the dragons get a nice little profit for their hard work.”

“I just can’t wait to smash them down to the little colts they are,” Rainbow sneered, turning her head toward the couch cushions.

Me too, Rainbow Dash. Though Discord is more the source of their influence. Taking him down, everything will fall like a chain of dominos. Let’s just hope we’re the ones starting the chain and not on the receiving end.

Rarity came close to Sunset and took her by the hoof, dragging her back outside. “I didn’t want to say anything in front of the mare as she might take this the wrong way,” she said after the door shut, her voice hushed against the silencing night. “Flim and Flam are not… well, foes for anyone. Aside from building that annoying museum so close to zoning range of the theater, they’re good stallions.” She then waited for a moment, believing Sunset would speak. When Sunset held still, Rarity continued, “You spoke earlier of them and this Discord. And me a… I’m not sure what you called it.”

“They’ve changed the past to benefit themselves. All the villains they’ve defeated have been lies. They accomplished those things through Discord’s unique ability to see into other timelines. I wouldn’t even be upset with him for that since somepony else already altered the past, but he did it to maliciously keep me here, imprisoning me.”

“You?” Rarity gaped, and even in the dim light, Sunset could see the anger boiling on the pony. “How dare they! What right do they have to keep you? Keep you…” The confusion then replaced the anger. “Wait. Timelines? I’m sorry. This is much too elaborate.”

Sunset almost forgot what it was like trying to convince a pony of the existence of other worlds. Memories flooded her senses. “That’s why we’re here. We’re looking for two ponies that will help us defeat him and put this timeline back on track,” Sunset pleaded to the mayor of Manehattan, all those worlds ago.

And the mayor reacted as any normal pony would. “Timeline?”

Rarity then fell against the banister, exaggerating her abashed demeanor. “I can’t believe that I was not only jealous of a princess from another world, I also tried to shoot her down! What an unbelievable fool I’ve been today!”

“I probably wouldn’t have come to the stage if you hadn’t, then we wouldn’t have shared that amazing performance. I’ve sung before, but never danced so well,” Sunset replied, hoping to cheer the awkward situation.

“Well, my magical blasts are part of the show, though I didn’t necessarily need to aim them at you,” she said, simpering before covering her muzzle with a hoof. “I was quite jealous for those first few seconds. Of course, now I’m more jealous of those mares you’ve been traveling with. They’re leaving tomorrow, though. Are you as well? Am I? I would be honored to travel by your side.” Rarity then snuck closer. “Perhaps telling me of these other worlds will bring us closer.”

Sunset attempted to continue a feigned obliviousness to the wordy intent. “We devised a decent plan to have all five depart to where we think the combinations are at for the safe holding the Elements of Harmony. Once they arrive, I’ll teleport to each one of them to aid in the recovery. After finding a combination, I’ll teleport the bearer and me back to you. You play a crucial role as our anchor.”

“Your anchor!” Rarity swooned. “How romantic!”

Sunset’s lips tightened as her eyes went broad, her cheeks puffing out in an expression that only her thoughts could justly sum up. I have made a terrible mistake.

“Once they’re gone in the morning, I have to go alone to see the other princesses. I’ve got some information for them.” Well, more accurately, I’m going to lie to them. I’m going to lie hard. If Flim and Flam ask them again what it is I’m up to, they’ll receive a lie of a lie. That should buy us some time.

“Ho ho!” the unicorn exclaimed with a happy sigh. “Then, after that, you’ll return and it’ll be just the two of us, correct?” She didn’t wait for a reply. “I must prepare an ensemble for tomorrow! I do hope Charmer still has those outfits I loaned him.” Rarity went inside while Sunset stood alone on the secluded deck, choosing to remain outside for a moment. With a deep breath, miring the night sky, she let herself reflect.

A sudden wave of clenched anxiety hit her, releasing like sweat. For a moment, she stopped breathing, still seeing the centaur and dark stallion in her memory. Both portrayed sweetness and care. For some reason, however, the picture erupted. Not only were they within her mind’s eye, but the girls of CHS too. They stood together. Then the bearers of these worlds were added. Why are those two included? They’re not bearers. They’re not friends. It hit her. Like an egg shattered and dropped into a frying pan, it struck a pained heat in her mind and heart. Tears trickled down her muzzle.

It had been inside all day and night, and all the previous days too. The need, the feeling, the choking. It was happy as much as it was sad for Sunset. As the tears hit the wood beneath her hooves, she felt her bag stir. A clammy hand stretched and brushed her cheek. “What is wrong, Sunset Shimmer?” she heard the draconequus ask, quietly.

“I want to go home,” she answered, struggling to say the words through sniffles, trying to suck air in without snorting. “You have no idea how happy these six make me. Every world I am filled with memories. Good ones, bad ones. It’s all so sad.”

“Sad?” He did not understand.

“All these wonderful memories, Discord. They’re with friends that I’ll never see again. When I do return home. When I finally see my friends at CHS. When I hug their necks, tell them they matter to me. They won’t remember any of this, because it didn’t happen to them. I’ll never be able to say, hey remember when that one time? They won’t. Only I’ll have those memories. I think I know these six even better than they know themselves now. And my heart aches because I truly wish they’d been here, going through these worlds with me. I know that sounds selfish, but those girls mean the world to me. To share this journey with them would have been magical.”

“You will see them again. I am certain of it!” he replied, unsure if he should use such a boisterous voice when so close to ponies.

“I know. That’s what keeps me going. There are worlds out there where nothing changed for them at CHS. They never had the friendship they’ve got in mine. I’m lucky and undeserving. I’ve said it before Discord, but whatever is calling me, I’ll meet it head on. To get back to them.”

Discord stroked her mane as he spoke, “This is why I believe in you. I have seen this side. Your fire. Your passion. Joining you is a lot smarter than challenging you.” He chuckled ever so softly. “You did not even have to lie to these six to get them on your side. They are willing to be here even after the truth sprouted. Forgiveness for your lie even seems to be an instant success. A rare feat for a fib.” Returning to the bag, the draconequus went silent.

Forgiveness? Why wouldn’t they forgive me? I’m their friend. Another thought struck her heart as she turned up to the night sky. Forgiveness. Frowning, she wiped the tears from her eyes, making sure none of the watery stains could be seen.

Upon reentering the home, Sunset saw Rainbow Dash staring at her from the couch. The pegasus looked like she wanted to speak, but her hesitation grew and she rolled to one side instead, tucking her face into the cushions. The other bearers were asleep, though Sunset felt no need. Her mind was filled with memories. And so, finding a nice quiet corner, she lavished the chance to sit and write.

Morning came eventually, but not after a thousand words were jotted down for each of the worlds. She wanted everything. The good, the bad, but mostly the good. She included thoughts of the neat magic she encountered, even going as far to jot down the formula of the worst spell used on her. Under Princessland, she included the photo of Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, along with the picture of herself in Discord’s throne. She wrote of Rarity’s performance. She even included how she felt. A sadness, pining for friends, and thanking the ones she made.

Sunset bowed in gratitude for each of the bearers before they left the next morning. She’d be unable to see them off without being spotted, and so she said her goodbyes within Charmer’s domicile. “Remember. Tomorrow morning. I’ll be visiting Applejack first, but I’ll try to get to all of you in the same day. We’ll need to move fast so Flim and Flam don’t figure out what we’re up to. If I haven’t gotten to you yet, try to do some digging. See what you can churn up.”

The five seemed to share all the same emotion, little smiles tugging at their lips. There was excitement in the air, and for once, Sunset believed that they’d be friends soon enough. She hated the idea of separating them, yet it seemed like the only reasonable decision. In her heart, the idea of getting to spend time with each left her giddy. She beamed at them as they left, repeatedly thanking them until the door was shut and she was alone with her anchor.

Rarity clapped her hooves together, just as excitedly as the other bearers, though for a much different reason. No longer in a purple dress, her wings were removed and the dye washed clean. Now, instead, crimson streaks brushed upward from her roots, turning her hair into a fiery mulberry coloring. It was definitely a jarring change from the previous day. “Now that we’re alone, perhaps you’d like to get to know each other better.”

“I already know a lot about you,” Sunset answered absentmindedly, completely forgetting the way Rarity acted the previous night. Her thoughts still on the journal she’d been filling.

“Oh, darling,” she replied with a suave grin. “You haven’t seen anything yet. Let me grab the peach mango tea that Charmer keeps cooled. Nothing quite says relaxing like a bit of tea.”

“You’ll have to wait till I get back.” Sunset opened the door, staring back at the distraught unicorn. “Don’t worry. I won’t be gone long. Just a quick surprise visit to some very special princesses.” Leaving quickly, her wings jutted against the wooden railing and beige wall as she trotted down the steps. Upon reaching the street, she took off, hitting the sky and circling to the castle.

Whether ponies saw her or not, she didn’t care. The castle was off limits to anyone but the workers and princesses, and the workers would never be allowed to finish so long as Flim and Flam deemed it so. Even the guards were rare, as she found the doors remained defenseless. Traversing the castle, it wasn’t hard to locate the voices among the silence within the fortress.

They smiled at her appearance, the trio princesses stood in front of their thrones. “We’ve heard quite the tales of your ventures, Sunset Shimmer!” Princess Luna congratulated warmly. “I do hope our support has been helpful in your journey.”

“I’d be lying if I said it hasn’t,” Sunset replied. “Thank you so much. I’ve almost got what I need. I just came back to see how you three were doing.” She eyed her old mentor, the tall white alicorn. “I was threatened by Flim and Flam while in Manehattan. They seem to have bought your lies,” she told them, lying to their faces.

“Really? Wonderful!” Cadance cheered. “Shining Armor sent word of your arrival. I put his mind at ease, I feel.”

Sunset nodded. “I collected all the bearers just to send them out again. I’ve sent them each to areas where I think they’ll be in tune with the environment.” Her lies increased. “I plan on getting them each their necklace, just as I had done in the first world, by showing them their Element. Once I’m finished, I plan on returning to Princessland and waiting here with you three till they arrive, just to take them down once and for all. Of course—don’t tell them any of this.” She winked, though her slyness was more for herself. “Tell them I failed and sent the bearers off. Or something of the sort.”

“A brilliant plan, Sunset!” Celestia shared in the high spirits. “And fear not. We will tell them only lies if they return.” Then, the great alicorn turned distraught. Inclining her head, she sighed, her regret seeping from her breath. “They claimed they could utilize the Elements of Harmony through their machines—and until you showed up, that was a fact I would’ve continued believing. Had I known it was a lie, simply to remove the Elements of Harmony from our grasp, I never would’ve let those two have them.”

“At least it’s good to know they didn’t actually unleash the divine power of the Elements of Harmony. I’d be in a lot of trouble if they had.”

Celestia dismissively waved a hoof. “To have the Elements of Harmony be used on you, well, that’d be the end of the world, I’d say.”

To hear such kind words from the mentor she missed so dearly, Sunset felt like crying again. She held it together, however, if only until she no longer stood in their presence.

PreviousChapters Next