• Published 10th Jul 2012
  • 1,338 Views, 12 Comments

The Tryst - Hooves Like Jagger



Planet Diver comes to Ponyville, bringing his criminal record with him.

  • ...
2
 12
 1,338

Operation 1: Don't Break the Law


“Planet… Planet! Are you even listening to me?”

“Yeah, sure,” Planet Diver Dash mumbled as he glided lazily alongside his older sister. He'd heard her lecture enough already, not that he'd ever actually listened to it in the first place. Rainbow Dash couldn’t scowl more at the stallion if she wanted to, but so far no amount of chiding from any party yielded desirable results.

“Can’t you at least pretend to be grateful?” Rainbow Dash grunted, swooping down in front of him. Planet Diver snorted and dipped under her, continuing along in the dimming sunlight. “Okay, that’s it! Everypony land, now!” Rainbow Dash became a technicolor blur as she streaked towards the ground. Planet Diver looked up at the third pony he was flying with. His brother Sun Spot Dash, known as Sunny to his friends and family and Sunny D to his fans, chuckled and shook his head.

Even if they were born at the same time, the ponies couldn’t be more different. Planet Diver’s toned, marble colored coat and deep, purple mane set him far apart from his brother. If Sunny D’s tan coat and red-and-orange streaked, afro mane weren’t enough to set them apart, Sunny D’s signature, golden “D” chain and stunner sunglasses snuffed out any suspicion that the two were even remotely related.

“Better do as she says, dude. You’re in enough trouble already, don’t you think?” Sunny D swooped down after their sister, but not at a speed near as breakneck as she had descended with. It was ridiculous to think a pegasus as laid back as Sunny D would be able to keep up with an experienced Wonderbolt.

Planet Diver was a slightly different case. Instead of swooping down with his wings spread, he pointed his nose straight down and tucked his wings in. With a look of apathy, he plummeted from the sky, passing Sunny on the way down. Just as the ground became dangerously close, Planet Diver spread his wings and did a graceful, upwards arc before fluttering his wings until his hooves were on the ground. Rainbow Dash was already on the ground, tapping her hoof impatiently. She didn’t wait for Sunny D to arrive before leaning into Planet Diver.

“Dad and I have been nothing but helpful, even though we should have disowned you after what you did, after what you tried to do! You’d better start showing a little gratitude before you tempt me to succeed where you failed!” Rainbow Dash fumed. Planet Diver hardly looked impressed by the display, but Sunny was wearing a distraught look as he swooped down.

“C’mon sis, don’t be so hard on the guy.” Sunny nudged her playfully. Rainbow Dash turned and glared at Sunny. Sunny smiled sheepishly and backed up towards Planet Diver, deciding he’d better change his allegiance.

“Just apologize, dude. She has a point.”

“I never asked to be helped.” Planet Diver didn’t take his eyes off Rainbow Dash. She continued to frown at him, escalating things into a war of attrition. Not willing to become a casualty, Sunny D backed off from both ponies.

“You’re not in a position to turn us down. You wouldn’t last very long if we let you be,” Rainbow Dash argued.

“I’d get along just fine,” Planet Diver issued his rebuttal.

“Right, you’d just steal what you need,” Rainbow Dash sneered.

“I’m a thief, so what?”

“Not to mention a murderer.”

“… I didn’t murder anypony.”

“Not from lack of trying! You’re a crook, and that’s the end of it!”

“Fine!” Planet Diver stamped his hoof and turned about.

“Fine!” Rainbow Dash did the same. Silence followed as Celestia finished putting the sun beneath the horizon. Luna’s full moon began creeping its way into the sky, dimly lighting the three ponies. “C’mon… we’re going to be late now.”

“Whatever,” Planet Diver grumbled. Rainbow Dash turned around and trotted past him towards the lights of Ponyville in the distance. Planet Diver plodded along after her. Only Sunny took to his wings, attempting to lighten the mood a bit before they arrived at their destination halfway between their current position and Ponyville.

“So… Rainy… remind me again about this little sock-hop?” Sunny made an attempt to redirect the conversation to something that wasn’t depressing.

“It’s not a sock-hop, Horn-dog. It’s just a little celebration. The son of a good friend of mine is getting married to the daughter of a good friend of mine. It’s an engagement party, so let me point out the future bride before you start hitting on everypony.”

“Oh, Rainy,” Sunny chuckled. “I’m not gonna hit on everypony, just the mares! Right, Diver?” Sunny looked over at Planet Diver. He did not look like he was in the mood for humor, good or bad. “Oooookay… so… Rainy, your friends have kids old enough to jump the broom? You’re a bit behind, don’t you think?” Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes.

“Mom had you, Diver, and JC when she was older than I am right now. I’ve got plenty of time to have a kid.” Sunny and Planet Diver were parts one and two to a set of triplets. Jenday Conure Dash, who greatly preferred JC, was the youngest of the triplets and a dead-ringer for their mother. The triplets had been born when Rainbow Dash was slightly older than they are now.

“Well, your friends are married and their kids are getting married, so don’t you think you should do the same?” Sunny prodded. Rainbow Dash furrowed her brow. She was beyond tired of being asked these questions, and she was especially tired of being asked these questions by Sunny.

“Shut up, Sunny.” Sunny knew better than to continue speaking when his oldest sister told him to shut up. He dropped back, deciding he’d rather suffer Planet Diver’s bad mood than Rainbow Dash’s.

“Sounds like it’s gonna be a sweet little party. There’ll probably be some pretty good looking mares. You should take this opportunity to get… acquainted,” Sunny snickered. He himself had every intention of getting very acquainted with somepony tonight, maybe two someponies.

“Sunny, that’s the farthest away from what I want right now.” Planet Diver wouldn’t budge from his gloom and doom.

“Aww, c’mon Diver! A mare can work wonders on a stallion’s problems!”

“It’s not a wonder, Sunny. It’s called multiplication,” Diver grunted. “I just want to lay low and get through this, okay?” Diver snapped at his brother, turning his head slightly to leer at him.

“Okay, okay.” Sunny backed off. Planet Diver turned his gaze back to the dirt path. The sounds of merrymaking started to grow louder as the path began to get brighter. Planet Diver looked up. In the midst of a vast forest of apple trees, there sat a large barn. Inside its white, picket fence and red walls there were ponies conversing, dancing, and eating. Planet Diver was happy to see that there were enough ponies around that he’d be able to stay hidden.

“Whoa! My babe-dar is telling me that we have arrived!” Sunny exclaimed, landing and trotting ahead of Rainbow Dash.

“Sunny, if you’re going to act like that, you’re not related to me.”

“C’mon Rainy!” Sunny doubled back and trotted alongside his sister. “I need you for my six degrees! I’ve never met these ponies before.”

“That’s not entirely true. I’m pretty sure you’ve met some of them before. I know I brought you down to Sweet Apple Acres at least once when you were little.” Rainbow Dash tried to conjure up the memory from thirteen years ago.

“I know we’ve been to Ponyville, but we just hung around your place or flew around the airspace. I’m sure I would have remembered coming to a farm,” Sunny stated, dismissing the notion of ever meeting anypony in Ponyville. “What about you, Diver? Got any memories of being down on the farm?”

“Yeah, I remember coming here.”

“Wait, what? Seriously?”

“It was probably a more memorable experience for me,” Planet Diver explained. It may have been a long time ago, but Sweet Apple Acres would forever hold a certain amount of significance to Planet Diver. Until he’d come here, he’d never been kissed by anypony other than his mother. He was too young to appreciate it back then, but when he got older he relished in the knowledge that a filly had kissed him, even if just on the nose.

There was no time for Planet Diver to reminisce at the moment. The eldest sister brought the brothers through the wooden gate and into the party. Their approach must have been noted because Rainbow Dash was instantly surrounded by four other mares her age. Sunny and Planet Diver watched as she greeted and chattered excitedly with faces they’d only seen in her photo albums.

“I suppose congratulations are in order!” Rainbow Dash laughed, throwing her forelegs around Fluttershy and Rarity.

“Oh, I really didn’t do anything,” Fluttershy pointed out, averting her eyes and blushing.

“Please dear, we pushed those ponies out of our bodies. That’s quite enough reason to congratulate us,” Rarity assured her.

“Anyway, this is quite the party, wouldn’t y’all say? Spent all day settin’ up.” It was obvious Applejack was fishing for compliments, but nopony could argue against her.

“Yes, yes, it’s very nice Applejack. You all did a good job setting up.” Twilight had been assuring her of this all night, but she’d also been quick to remind her she had plenty of help. “I’m sure if Pinkie Pie could be here, she would be impressed.” The mention of the group’s absent member caused a somber silence to ensue. Hooves shuffled awkwardly as everypony avoided eye contact. It had been a few years, but the party pony’s departure was still a sensitive subject for a group so closely knit.

“You heard the latest news on her, right?” Rarity piped up, causing the group's spirits to return. “Her airship was over Trottingham a few days ago. Every pastry was pilfered, there isn’t a speck of confectioner’s sugar left, and as usual there are a handful of ponies who’ve gone missing.”

“Trottingham? Last I heard her ship raided Manehattan in broad daylight. They still haven’t finished cleaning up all the streamers,” Twilight reminded everypony. “As much as I want to see her again, I don’t know how keen I am on having her visit Ponyville.” There were nods of agreement all around.

“Anyway, I need to introduce you all to my brothers, Sunny and Planet Diver.” Rainbow Dash stepped aside and revealed Planet Diver standing by himself behind her. “Where’s Sunny?” she whispered.

“I don’t know. He went off somewhere,” Planet Diver grumbled. Rainbow Dash grunted and wondered why Sunny even wanted to tag along to Ponyville. Planet Diver alone was too much pony to look after right now.

“I gotta go find Sunny, so just meet Planet Diver. I’m guessing you don’t really need an introduction.” Rainbow Dash trotted off into the party to find out which poor mare Sunny had set his sights on. Planet Diver stood around as Rainbow Dash’s friends eyed him cautiously. Even if they all didn’t read the paper regularly, front page news gets around fast enough by word of mouth. Only one pony spoke to him.

“Mighty fine tah see y’all again, Planet Diver. There’s some refreshments over yonder if yer feelin’ a little hungry,” Applejack offered. Planet Diver nodded and excused himself, causing the other three mares to exchange a few more anxious looks.

Planet Diver didn’t care much about what anypony else thought about his sudden infamy. They had a right to be frightened and suspicious. He didn’t feel like dealing with suspicious or frightened ponies though, so even though he didn’t want to eat he had decided to take the escape route. He found an isolated chair in the corner and slouched into it.

“What a hassle,” he sighed. If he could have things his way, he’d be in Las Pegasus whittling what little he had left away. It was the most desirable option considering he couldn’t return home. He stared down at his hooves, wishing to be anywhere but Ponyville.

"I beg yer pardon, but do I know y'all?" Planet Diver looked up from his hooves. He didn't recognize the mare who was talking to him.

"You probably saw my face in the paper," Planet Diver mumbled, looking back down at the ground.

"I don't read the paper. I figure if somethin' important is happenin', somepony will take it upon themselves to tell me," the mare retorted. "That aside, I never forget a face. Just give me a moment, it'll come back to me." Planet Diver peered back up at the mare who was rubbing one of her temples in an attempt to force the memory out. She still looked unfamiliar, but then Planet Diver took another look.

It was only because he'd recently been made to remember the incident, but the vision of the grass green filly with the messy yellow-green mane flashed through his mind. Standing before him now was that same filly, but as a fully grown mare. He wracked his brain for a name.

"...Pippin?" Planet Diver ventured a guess. Pippin's eyes brightened as she put her hoof back down. She leaned forward until the two ponies could almost touch eyeballs.

"So I have met y'all! Shucks, I wish I'd remembered first. Remind me what yer name is."

"Planet Diver, Planet Diver Dash." Pippin's eyes shrunk in shock as she quickly jumped back.

"Well I'll be... how long has it been? Thirteen, almost fourteen years?" Pippin observed.

"Just about. I'm surprised you remember me." Pippin's brow furrowed as she put her face up in Planet Diver's again.

"Now what's that supposed to mean?"

"It doesn't mean anything I didn't say."

"Well, the only reason I remember y'all is because I went and gave you that kiss," Pippin confessed without a moment's hesitation. Planet Diver blushed and glanced around at the other party goers. "Y'all aren't tryin' to say I was loose or nothin', are ya?"

"Noooo, no, no, no," Planet Diver assured her. "It was just a long time ago and neither of us really look the same."

"Well, we ain't kids, but we ain't that different," Pippin argued. Planet Diver disagreed. He knew he had changed quite a bit, but it was blatantly obvious to Planet Diver that Pippin had grown up. She was taller, her mane was longer, and she had more mare-like curves to her body. All around she was much more mature and feminine.

Planet Diver caught himself checking her out. He stopped himself, reminded that he had no place for that anymore. Still, he couldn't stop his eyes or his brain. She was attractive, and thus Planet Diver began fighting a hopeless moral battle.

"Trust me, we've changed a lot," Planet Diver reiterated. Pippin stared up at him for a moment, not blinking or saying anything.

"Can you do me a favor?" she asked.

"Depends on what the favor is."

"Meet me behind the barn in... five minutes or so. I wanna show y'all somethin'."

"You're not going to kiss me on the nose are you?" Planet Diver let the joke slip out. He began kicking and screaming in his brain, telling himself he can not, should not, and will not hit on this mare now or ever. He expected Pippin to have a similar reaction, but to his great surprise she smiled.

"Why don't you come an' find out? I'll see you there." Planet Diver stood transfixed as she strode off. He was at war with himself. One side was celebrating, happy to no end that she had not only accepted the advance, but actually flirted right back. The other side told him not to go. He was a criminal, and criminals should not get involved with nice mares like her. The first side contested that just because he was a criminal didn't mean he couldn't go talk with this mare for a while. Besides, he was going to be in Ponyville for a while so he might as well make a friend. The other side retorted, saying he wasn't looking at her as just a friend and accused the first side of staring at her butt while she walked away. The first side denied that claim, but Planet Diver just kept on staring.

"Hey," somepony interrupted. Planet Diver looked down at the pony who had somehow avoided detection. "I know who you are," the yellow colt stated, adjusting his brown flat cap.

"C'mon Tinker, we shouldn't be talking to him," a smaller colt urged the pony named Tinker.

"Let the adults talk, Cogwheel." Tinker attempted to scoot his brother away, but Cogwheel persisted.

"You're not an adult Tinker! Let's go," Cogwheel continued, glancing up at Planet Diver. Tinker didn't take too well to Cogwheel's comment though, brushing his meager, grey facial hair with his hoof.

"Seriously Cog, go away. Don't you need to keep Honeycrisp company or something?" Tinker sent Cogwheel off with a swift whip of his grey tail. The younger, orange colt muttered and wandered off. Tinker knew it would only be a matter of time before somepony would come and scold him, so he worked fast. "You're Planet Diver, right? You helped steal that money, right?"

"What of it?" Planet Diver grumbled.

"You were driving the automobile, right?"

"Again, what of it?" Planet Diver didn't feel like discussing the finer points of the incident, especially with eccentric strangers. He would admit though, most ponies couldn't identify his exact role.

"I read the articles and saw the pictures. It was a Lynx Skywinder, the newest model, right?" Tinker correctly identified the automobile Planet Diver had been driving. "I hear the steering on those is pretty tight, even if it is a larger automobile. Is that true? I've never driven a cloud automobile... took apart the engine of a Model Three Stratus Eagle, but that's about it," Tinker vented. Planet Diver admittedly knew very little about the still young automobile industry in Equestria. Widespread use of the steam engine had flung the country into an industrial revolution in a matter of months. Drawn carriages were just about obsolete. If somepony could invent something to travel through the air without the use of clouds, chariots would officially become a thing of the past. Engines would be ferrying ponies from place to place, not other ponies

"I don't want to talk engines with you, or crime for that matter," Planet Diver explained, but Tinker wouldn't allow him to depart from his company.

"Sorry, I was just curious. Most ponies don't know much about the new technology that's cropping up, but I know the ins and outs of an engine better than anypony in all of Equestria. I was just curious about the drive shaft on the newest Skywinder because I'm in the market for steering that's tight as it can get. Most ponies don't think that automobiles that operate well in the clouds don't necessarily operate well on the ground, but the parts and the concepts are all the same. You know what I mean?" Planet Diver hadn't been paying attention.

"Sure kid," he mumbled.

"I have a more pressing question for you though, and that is whether or not you think you're a good driver," Tinker asked.

"I'm a better driver than most of the officers who chased me down."

"So you're good?"

"Probably... what of it?"

"Well, I was just... aww shoot," Tinker cut off as a large stallion approached the two.

"Tinker, get on over here," the green pony ordered. Tinker didn't give a verbal response, but simply trotted off. Planet Diver was glad to be rid of the pesky colt, but he now found himself beset upon by the huge earth pony. "Good to see you again, Planet Diver." The stallion did not sound like he was happy to see him.

"Do I know you?"

"Probably not, but I know you." This didn't come as a surprise to Planet Diver, but the stallion went on to elaborate. "I was there when you were born."

"... Touching," Planet Diver grumbled, trying to avoid the stallion's violet eyes.

"You seemed so innocent back then." The stallion certainly didn't pull any punches, but the pegasus was used to it by now. "Stay out of trouble," he warned before trotting off, as if Planet Diver wasn't already in trouble. He couldn't think of any way to get into more trouble, but then he remembered Pippin. As he trotted away from the party, his own words to Sunny echoed in his head.

Planet Diver waited behind the barn for a few minutes before Pippin arrived, just as bubbly as she had been before. Perhaps it was just the party that made her that way, but Planet Diver had his suspicions that the mare was simply happy all the time. He had fretted for a short moment that she was in a good mood because the engagement party was for her, but no stallion in their right mind would let their fiancee rendezvous with a criminal. Planet Diver certainly wouldn't.

"C'mon, follow me," Pippin called as she trotted right past him and down into the apple orchard. Planet Diver caught up easily, winging his way down the hill. The two trotted side-by-side through the orchard. Planet Diver kept a conscientious, one wing distance from from Pippin. "So, what've you been up to these past few years?"

"... You seriously don't know?"

"Should I know? Are y'all famous or somethin'?"

"I'm infamous. Everypony else knows, so how is it you don't know?"

"Well, if everypony knows, y'all wouldn't mind telling me what I'm missing out on, would ya?" Pippin asked. As a rule, Planet Diver didn't discuss what had happened the night his life took a one-eighty; however, he felt compelled to tell Pippin.

"Back in Cloudsdale there's this pony named Sky Scraper. He has a lot of everything, especially money."

"So he's rich?" Pippin interrupted. Planet Diver nodded, keeping his gaze fixed straight ahead of himself. Pippin looked ahead too, as if he were projecting the story onto a screen ahead of them.

"He keeps most of his bits locked up in a safe inside his home, but some... friends of mine noticed he made a weekly trip to the bank during the night. In that timeframe between the bank and the estate, he would carry upwards of ten-thousand bits on his person," Planet Diver explained. He glanced down at Pippin. She appeared to be absorbing the tale with a very somber expression. He thought maybe she could already see where things were going.

"Me and my friends made a plan. If we all jumped him on his way back from the bank, we could take his money and get away as rich ponies. We went through with our plan, but we ran into a hitch. Sky Scraper put up a fight instead of submitting like we thought he would, so we nearly killed the pony. The police heard the ruckus we were making though, so we had to bail fast. I drove the getaway vehicle, and for a while I thought we would all get away. The chase ended when I ran into a column. My friends managed to escape on foot, but the police got me. I was charged with robbery, attempted second-degree murder, and hindering an investigation."

"I get the first two, but why that last one?" Planet Diver came to a halt. Pippin stopped too, looking up to see what was the matter.

"That's the first question you ask? I tell this whole story about how I nearly kill somepony, and you want to know why I got charged with hindering an investigation?" Pippin thought for a moment.

"... Yeah." She nodded. Planet Diver groaned as the two continued on their way.

"I didn't act alone. The authorities wanted all four of us, but I never gave up their names. They were going to levy my punishment if I cooperated, but since I refused they exiled me from the city."

"Harsh," Pippin observed. Planet Diver glared at her through the corner of his eye.

"You know, this is kind of a big deal, so I'd appreciate it if you weren't so nonchalant."

"What do you want me to say? 'Sorry you broke the law'? 'Sorry the police caught you'? Look, I see what all the fuss is about, but it just doesn't seem that important to me." Planet Diver couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"You do realize you're walking in an isolated area in the middle of the night alone with a criminal, right? Aren't you afraid I'll try to rob you, attack you, or pin you down?" Planet Diver asked, letting a threatening edge slip into his tone. Pippin didn't look impressed.

"Y'all aren't the kind of pony who would do that sort of thing. I trust ya."

"How do you know what kind of pony I am? You just met me! Heck, you didn't know the one thing about me that most ponies know about me until just now!" Planet Diver retorted, growing more irritated by Pippin's lack of caution. The problem was he had no intention of doing anything criminal or untoward to her, so he really couldn't say she was wrong.

"That's the thing Planet Diver, most ponies just see you as a criminal since that's all they know about you. I know some other things about you, like this." Pippin stopped, indicating the trunk of an apple tree. At first, Planet Diver didn't see the significance of the trunk, but once again a second look proved enlightening.

"This is where you tripped, isn't it?" Planet Diver recognized the gnarled root that had caught Pippin's hoof when she was a filly. He held his own hoof up to the root. He doubted she would be able to get into the same pickle now that she was older.

"That's what I wanted to show y'all."

"You left the party with me so you could show me a root?" Planet Diver question. Pippin beamed brightly and nodded enthusiastically.

"You see, the day after my birthday party I came back out here to this tree. I was honestly a bit upset that the tree had cost me the race, so I had planned to exact my revenge. I didn't have a plan in mind, so I just reared up and bucked the tree. I'd never bucked apples before, so when a few apples fell from the tree after I hit it I became pretty excited. I went all around the orchard bucking trees like there was no tomorrow. I was having a blast, but then my Ma caught me.

"I expected her to be mad, but much to my surprise she was calm. She fetched a barrel and we picked up the apples I'd knocked out of the trees while she gave me a talk. She explained all about how ponies eat the apples we grow an' how we can't buck 'em down until they're ready. She told me so many things I never knew about the farm, even though I'd been livin' here my whole life. I knew then that I wanted to do what my Ma and Pa did, I wanted to help out on the farm and provide food for all the folks in Ponyville. That's when this here appeared." Pippin turned about and displayed the gold apple and green apple on her flank, the green one looking like somepony had taken a nice bite out of it. "If y'all never challenged me to that race back then, I reckon it would have taken me a mite longer to discover this." Pippin concluded her story. Planet Diver was surprised to hear her story to say the least. He decided that explaining why would be the appropriate response.

"When I went back to Cloudsdale, my brother Sunny blabbed about how you'd kissed me. All my friends and the other colts poked fun at me, saying I had cooties and I was going to turn into a filly. I was determined to get their respect back, so I told them to dare me to do anything to prove I was still cool. I ate some odd stuff, made some inappropriate noises, and raced a couple of the colts, but they still weren't satisfied.

"That's when somepony dared me to jump off the city. Our school was on the edge of town, so it was just a short fly up the schoolyard wall to the mother of all drops. I didn't want to do it at first, but everypony seemed to agree it was the final rite of passage. Long story short, I jumped.

"Now there is a big difference between flying off something and jumping right off of it, a difference I didn't fully grasp when I was younger. I thought I could simply spread my wings and flutter harmlessly to the ground, but instead I tumbled like a rag doll through the air. I was terrified. I had no idea what I should do. For a while, I just watched the ground getting closer and closer. Little had I realized I'd straightened out, so when I finally snapped out of my stupor I spread my wings and just narrowly missed hitting the ground and splattering.

"I should probably be thankful that a teacher saw me jump, but back then I was angry that I got in trouble. Despite the scolding from my teacher and then my mom and dad, I couldn't get over the rush of coming back from the brink of death. My older sister, Rainbow Dash, happened to be home when it happened, so when I told her about that feeling she said she could relate. After talking to her about the rush, I got this mark. Ever since then, I've been jumping off of things I probably shouldn't." Planet Diver displayed his own flank, adorned with a heavenly body and accompanying arrow coming off of it. Pippin giggled.

"I guess we've got to thank one another," she pointed out. Planet Diver smiled slyly.

"I've got the perfect way to thank you." He quickly leaned in and gave Pippin a peck on her nose. Pippin looked surprised to say the least, and for a moment Planet Diver was afraid he had overstepped the line. Pippin smiled though, batting her eyes up at him.

"Well, aren't we Mr. Forward?" She smirked as she closed the remaining distance between the pair. Planet Diver couldn't help but grin despite himself. The voice in the back of his head telling him to back off was getting quieter and quieter.

"Where's my thank you?" Planet Diver prodded. He closed his eyes and waited, but got far more than he bargained for when he felt Pippin press her lips against his. It was an unexpected gesture, but by no means unwelcome. She withdrew sooner than Planet Diver would have liked. He opened his eyes, and wasn't too surprised by the fact that Pippin looked completely okay with what had just happened.

"And you said I was forward," he teased. Pippin diverted her gaze, succumbing to the embarrassment ever so slightly.

"Sorry, I don't usually... well I've never done that before," she admitted as she regained her resolve to look Planet Diver in the eye. "If I can be frank, I just thought that I fancy you an'... well I dunno, I got the impression you might too, so I'm sorry if y'all di-"

Planet Diver stopped her by locking his lips to hers. The voice in his head that told him this was unwise was silent. Crime, Ponyville, family, and friends all dropped out of existence. Blinded, he did as he pleased. He used brute force to get Pippin onto her back. He stared down at her as the final shreds of her confidence were stripped away. Planet Diver could have proceeded on his own, but his mind kept pasting the image of a young filly over the mare's face. He paused, remembering himself.

"I warned you this might happen," Planet Diver reminded her. "I am a thief, after all."

"You don't have to steal anythin'."

"You shouldn't make jokes under these circumstances. A stallion might get the wrong idea." Pippin didn't respond. She just kept staring up at him. Planet Diver's conscience switched back on, reminding him that the situation was escalating far too quickly and that he should retreat immediately. Planet Diver could not and did not want to argue with the voice in his head, but there was another voice, a mere whisper, that grabbed his attention.

"... Please?" That was all it took.