• Published 5th Jul 2012
  • 1,058 Views, 2 Comments

Equestrian Anthology - Shingo



A series of short disconnected stories.

  • ...
0
 2
 1,058

Red Thread

The mid afternoon sun shined down on the city of Canterlot as the market breathed with life. Dozens of ponies were selling their wares trying to attract customers, and hundreds more were moving around searching for trinkets and toys. High above the market stood one of the many towers of Canterlot Castle. Occupying one of those towers was a pink tri-coloured maned alicorn. She was watching the ponies go through their routine from her balcony. She watched with fascination as the ponies moved. Her eyes closed and a soft blue aura surrounded her horn. When her eyes opened once more they looked at the market place. Everypony looked the same with one exception; hundreds of white threads were attached to each pony. The threads were connected to everypony there. Vendors, customers, and even the tourists were connected to each other. Her eyes focused on a two ponies beside a flower vendor. One of the ponies was paying for a bouquet of flowers, while the other was standing around waiting for their companion to finish the transaction. The pony turned to their companion and presented the bouquet to them. The pony blushed and accepted it. The thread that connected the two turned itself to red as they walked away together. The alicorn smiled at the sight with a small amount of envy. She was able to see the connections that all ponies had for one another, both romantic and not. For some reason though, she could not see her own connections. She began to ponder why she was never able to do so.

“Your highness,” a male voice said derailing her train of thought. “Am I interrupting anything?” The alicorn turned to the source of the voice and saw a white unicorn stallion wearing a purple set of armour. Like the ponies in the market, she could see hundreds of white threads attached to him.

“Captain Armour,” she said smiling. “To what end has the captain of the Royal Guard come to see me?” The captain walked towards the alicorn with a smile on his own face. He gave the pony in front of him a kiss.

“I can’t take time to see my girlfriend?” he asked taking off his helmet.

“Not while you’re supposed to be on duty,” she replied giggling. Again, a soft blue aura radiated from her horn. When she looked at the captain, the threads were gone.

“Shhhh,” he said. “My boss doesn’t know I’m here, so keep it down.” A giggle escaped the alicorn’s mouth.

“There’s something I need to talk to you about.”

“What is it Shining?” she asked tilting her head. The stallion in front of her had a worried expression on his face. He could not look her in the eyes. Panic began setting in her mind. Oh dear Faust! He’s going to break up with me!

“We’ve been together for a long time,” he began. “Ever since Twily was a filly, you and I have spent a large amount of time together.” The alicorn sat herself down and stared at the stallion with fear in her eyes.

“And during that time, our relationship changed. It has changed to a point where we have gotten close. Most would be comfortable with that closeness, but I’m not.” Tears began to form in her eyes. Please don’t say it, please don’t say it, please don’t say it.

“So, I have to ask this,” he said. His horn glowed a deep purple glow. The alicorn closed her eyes, tears slowly flowing from them. He’s really doing it. He’s really going to leave me. Sadness filled her heart.

“Princess Mi Amore Cadenza,” he said. “Will you marry me?” Silence decided to accompany the two ponies. The alicorn opened her eyes. In front of her the stallion wore a gentle smile. Floating between them was an open red velvet box. In the box was a royal blue gem shaped like a heart. It had a silver trim and was attached to a silver ring. She stared at the pony in front of her. It took a few seconds for his words to register in her mind. A smile formed on her face and tears flowed from her eyes. She shot forward to the stallion and locked her lips with his.

“So,” the stallion said breaking the kiss. “Is that a yes?” A laugh came from his companion.

“Yes,” she said. “Yes, I will marry you Shining Armour.” She once more put her lips to his. Time slowed down for the two ponies. A cough brought them back to the real world.

“I’m sorry to interrupt,” a gold armoured pegasus stallion said. “But Princess Celestia wishes to speak with you, captain.” The stallion sighed and slipped his helmet back on his head.

“I’ll be right there,” he said. He turned to his companion and gave her a hug. “See you soon Cadance.” The stallion let go and followed the other soldier. The alicorn once more performed the familiar spell and looked to her new fiancé. The white threads remained where they were, but a new thread was there, a red one, it led to her. She looked down and saw the red thread attached to her. She lifted it in her hooves and held it close to her heart. A smile was on her face as she was left alone.