• Published 5th Jul 2012
  • 1,058 Views, 2 Comments

Equestrian Anthology - Shingo



A series of short disconnected stories.

  • ...
0
 2
 1,058

Soul

Another night, another bag of bits. Spike loosened his tie as he entered his home. He looked around the foyer of the library, hoping that Twilight wasn’t awake. Seeing that the purple unicorn was nowhere in sight, he quietly closed the door. He crept up the stairs leading to the room he shared with his guardian. Gentle snoring could be heard from the other side.

“Who?” Spike’s bones nearly jumped from his body. His head quickly turned to see two yellow eyes staring at him through the darkness.

“Oh, Owloysius, I was just going to bed.”

“Who?”

“Me, I was going to bed.”

“Who?” Spike gave the owl an unamused look.

“I’m too tired to run with this gag. I’ll see you tomorrow night before I go to work. Goodnight.” He walked into the room and set his bits into a small chest. His clothes were deposited into the same chest before it was closed. With a yawn, he climbed into his basket, and made a well-deserved trip to the land of Nodd.

*

The sun was lazily drifting across the sky as Twilight heard something crash into her window. She lifted her head from her copy of The Big Sleep, sighing in frustration. For some reason, whenever she got to the climax of a story she was interrupted by something. Twilight magicked the window open allowing her cerulean friend to fly in.

“Hello Rainbow Dash,” said Twilight. “To what do I owe the pleasure?”

“You’ll never guess what I saw last night,” said Rainbow in an excited tone. “Actually, it’ll be amazing if you did. Go on, try.”

“Let’s see,” said Twilight tapping one of her hooves to her chin in mock concentration. “Was it the Wonderbolts?”

“Nope.”

“Pinkie Pie doing something impossible?”

“Nope. Come on Twi, think of something that doesn’t happen on a daily basis.”

“Hmmm,” Twilight closed her eyes. “Rarity and Applejack physically entwined with one another?” Rainbow Dash stared at Twilight as if her body grew a second head.

“No. Nothing like that. How did that come into your mind?” asked Rainbow in a disbelieving tone. In response Twilight gave her friend a sheepish look.

“Well you said something that didn’t happen daily,” replied Twilight. “Since it’s clear that I won’t guess it, you might as well tell me.”

“Fine, take the fun out of it,” grumbled Rainbow. “Last night, I went to Berry Punch’s pub with Pinkie. We had a few drinks generally enjoying ourselves.”

“If this story ends with you two in bed, I don’t want to hear it.”

“While that did happen, that’s not what I’m highlighting,” Twilight smacked one of her hooves to her face. “Anyways, there was music playing. Jazzy stuff, stuff like saxophones, clarinets, that sort of thing. There was a grand piano there too. Playing it… was Spike.”

“What?” Twilight face changed to one of disbelief.

“Oh, the story isn’t over yet,” continued Rainbow. “Spike was playing along with the band that was there. But afterwards he started singing.” A silence fell between the two ponies.

“Nice try Rainbow,” Twilight said smirking. “If you’re going to pull a fast one on me, at least make it believable.”

“I’m serious!” shouted Rainbow. “He was singing some jazz songs. And his voice, it sounded different. It sounded like a professional jazz singer, and it was deep!”

“Uh huh,” dismissed Twilight. “That can’t be true, and I’ll prove it. Spike!” Spike entered the room the two ponies occupied with a clipboard in his hand.

“Yes Twilight?”

“Were you at Berry’s pub last night playing on a piano and singing?” If somepony was observant enough, they would have seen Spike’s facial features shift into one of shock for a very brief moment. However, nopony in that room was.

“No I wasn’t,” replied Spike with a steady voice. “I can play the piano, but I can’t sing. Why would you even think that? Besides, I was asleep all night.”

“But I saw you there with-“

“If you don’t mind,” interrupted Spike. “I have some work to do. Twilight, can I go now?”

“Of course Spike,” Twilight said. The baby dragon left the room writing on the clipboard. “See Rainbow?”

“If you don’t believe me,” Rainbow gave her a cocky smile. “Why not come to The Lounge with me tonight and see for yourself?” Twilight had to think for a moment. She hadn’t gone out for a while, and this was a perfect excuse. Even if Spike wasn’t there, she could still go out just for fun.

“Alright Rainbow,” she said. “I’ll see you tonight.”

*

The moon was high by the time Twilight met her friend. She saw Rainbow standing in front of an unremarkable building. In front of it was a patio with ponies sitting at tables enjoying both food and drink. On the building was the words “The Lounge” in bright white lettering. She was expecting to see Rainbow Dash, but the ivory unicorn was unexpected.

“Twilight darling,” Rarity said. “It’s good to see you’ve finally decided to venture from your home.”

“Hello Rarity,” Twilight greeted. “I didn’t know you were coming with us.”

“Well I couldn’t pass this chance. When Rainbow Dash said Spike was singing here, I just had to see it. The idea that little Spikey-Wikey was working as a singer is absurd! He’s just a little baby.”

“You’re going to say otherwise after tonight,” mumbled Rainbow. “Come on, are we going to stand here and talk all night or are we going to go inside?" The trio entered the bar, only to be greeted by a calm tune. In front of them was a bar table filled with ponies. On the other side of it was Berry Punch, busy mixing drinks. On their right was a group of tables with friends idly chatting at each one. Behind those tables was a door leading to the patio.

“Hi there,” said a yellow unicorn mare with a blue mane. “Table for three?” Rainbow Dash nodded. The three ponies were then led across the pub. All around the pub, ponies of every size and colour were drinking and enjoying themselves. Along the walls were booths filled with inebriated ponies. Levels of control varied from table to table. Between the walls were tables filled with the same thing. A band was radiating music from the far end of the room. The group sat at a booth that was in full view of the band.

“While I’m here, is there anything I can get you?” the mare asked handing out menus.

“I’d like a gin martini please,” Rarity replied.

“A pint of Shock Top,” Rainbow said. “Twilight?”

“Well,” she said looking at the drink menu.

“She’ll have the same as me,” Rainbow answered.

“All right, I’ll be back in a little while with your drinks,” the mare said. Twilight glared at Rainbow.

“You didn’t have to do that. I don’t even like beer.”

“Yes, I did. Otherwise you would have taken forever to choose. We have more important things to worry about. Look over there,” Rainbow pointed her hoof at the band. There were four ponies and five instruments being played. All the musicians there were wearing the same thing: a black vest, a white dress shirt, a tie, and a black fedora. Each of their ties were different and the grosgrain ribbon of their fedoras matched their ties in colour. A blue earth pony stallion with a dark blue mane was playing a saxophone and wearing a navy blue tie, a light grey earth pony mare with a black mane was playing a double bass while wearing a pink tie, a dark grey earth pony stallion with a black mane was playing a clarinet and wearing a amber tie, and a sand coloured pegasus mare wearing an emerald tie was playing a set of drums. There was a grand piano being played as well. Who sat at the piano shocked the two unicorns: a baby dragon with a fuchsia tie was sitting on its bench.

“Spike?!” both unicorns exclaimed. Their shock went unnoticed by the band as they finished their song. The patrons in the bar applauded the band. As the applause was dying down, the yellow mare returned to the table with their drinks.

“Thank you, thank you,” said Spike into a microphone. “You’ve been a wonderful audience. My fellow band mates look like they need a break. Go ahead, there’s a story I want to share.” The four musicians set down their instruments and left to the side of the bar. Spike let his hands press on a few keys creating a simple melody.

“Last week I found out the mare I loved found a special somepony,” he said with a sad tone. “I was crushed for a few days. But seeing her happy made my heart soar, much like it did whenever I saw her.” Both Rainbow Dash and Twilight looked to their companion.

“Something you would like to tell us?” asked Rainbow. Rarity took a pull from her martini.

“I’m not the one on trial here,” said Rarity. “We can talk about it after we see Spike.” Twilight meanwhile, was looking to Rarity then Spike, then repeating the process.

“It’s all right though,” continued Spike. “Her happiness comes before mine. Although, whenever friends talk to me, they always ask the same question: how am I holding up. So I answer them with another question.” Spike’s hands moved faster creating a slightly more complex tune. At this moment, the entire bar fell silent. All eyes were on Spike, the waiters and waitresses even stopped where they were to watch. Rainbow Dash was smiling while her friends were confused at the scene. Then as Spike opened his mouth, they understood why every patron stopped.

Am I blue? Am I blue? Ain’t these tears in my eyes, telling you?” sang Spike. A deep baritone was being projected across the bar. Spike’s voice moved a few of the patrons to tears. Twilight stared at her assistant. A voice like that should not have been coming from him, and yet there it was. The song itself was full of emotion. There was pain and mixed in it was a small amount of hope. It was implausible, it was illogical, and it was beautiful. Tears began flowing from her eyes.

“Am I blue,” Spike finished holding the final note for a few seconds. His voice went quiet as his fingers danced across the piano’s keys. The last note was played and silence was again present in the bar. A thunderous applause came from everypony inside. Whistles and cheers could be heard mixed in the sound. Twilight was clapping her hooves together, tears having stained her face. Tears freely flowed from Rarity’s eyes as she clapped. Rainbow Dash smiled and pulled from her pint. She signalled a waitress over to their booth.

“Excuse me?” she asked while the applause was slowing down. “Do you have any crow? My friends here seem to be craving some.”