• Published 24th Jan 2017
  • 4,200 Views, 107 Comments

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic What If?: Volume 4 - SuperPinkBrony12



The fourth installment of a What If series, that involves the rewriting of episodes. This collection contains episodes from Seasons 1-6 (Warning!: Episodes rewritten based on personal opinion, please respect it. Thank you.)

  • ...
6
 107
 4,200

S6 E6: No Second Prances (What If?)

Inside the familiar crystal walls of her castle, Twilight was giving (or rather trying to give) Starlight Glimmer a friendship lesson, while setting the table for an important dinner that was to take place the following evening.

"Okay, first lesson of the day," Twilight began. "We very carefully set the table without using magic, so that-" But the rest of her sentence was cut off, as Starlight used her magic to set the table in a matter of seconds, plates and silverware whizzing past Twilight's head! "Yikes!" She cried, and ducked down. She only peeked her head back out when she was certain everything had been set. "Did you...?! How? When? What?!" She exclaimed.

"What do you mean 'what'?" Starlight asked her teacher.

Twilight sighed. "I said no magic. You were supposed to do it by hoof so that I could work in a friendship lesson."

Starlight shrugged as she replied. "Oh, is that all? I kind of heard 'set the table' and just went for it. Besides, how is setting the table supposed to teach me about friendship?"

Trying to maintain her composure in the face of her student's "selective hearing", Twilight looked at Starlight and told her. "Well, if you hadn't used magic, you'd have heard me say, uh...." She paused, as she realized she hadn't really thought of how she was going to work that friendship lesson in. "This plate represents your head, this spoon is your heart, and the knives... are sharp! Always be careful with knives," She then sighed. "Okay, so maybe not everything needs to be a friendship lesson, but you've been on an extended break ever since reuniting with Sunburst. You've been overdue for another lesson for a while now."

Feeling a bit guilty Starlight asked Twilight. "Well, should I... change it back?"

Twilight shook her head. "No, that won't be necessary, I didn't exactly have a lesson in mind anyway. But I just want to make sure you're ready for this dinner. Princess Celestia will be joining us tomorrow night to see how your friendship lessons are going!" She then added. "So you'd better be on your best behavior."

Starlight tried hard not to gulp, she'd only seen Princess Celestia once and while the sun princess had seemed pleasant and friendly, Starlight didn't know if she was always like that or if she was only friendly when the situation called for it. Looking over the set silverware, something caught the unicorn's eye and she asked. "So, if it's just you, me, and Princess Celestia, why are there four seats? I thought you said Spike wouldn't be attending?"

"He isn't, formal dinners aren't really his thing," Twilight replied, and then with a smile she told Starlight. "That plate is for a friend of yours. But the whole point is for you to bring a new friend. That way, the princess will see for herself just how far you've come. And how good a teacher you have."

"Can't I just bring one of your friends instead?" Starlight asked Twilight. "I'm not sure if you've noticed, but it seems a lot of ponies in this town have already kind of heard about what I used to be like. Can't say I blame them for being weary of my sudden change of heart, sometimes I've actually been tempted to go back to the old ways, just a little."

Sensing that her student was already stressing out a little, Twilight walked to her and said to Starlight. "I know it's tough, but the only way for ponies to see that you've changed, is for you to get out there and show them. Making a new friend could probably help, having multiple friends is never a bad thing."

"A new friend, huh?" Starlight pondered, then a thought struck her. "Hey, maybe I'll just force friendships by magically enslaving the entire population of Ponyville!"

"Starlight!" Twilight scolded. "Please tell me you were joking, please!"

"Of course, of course, I was just kidding! Can't you take a joke?!" Starlight responded, even as she was laughing nervously. "I'm in way over my head here," She thought to herself. "How am I supposed to make a new friend when everypony seems to know about my past?" She had no idea that not only she was going to make a new friend in the matter of a few hours, but this new friend would put a very serious strain on her relationship with her teacher.

Starlight trotted through Ponyville, quite concerned. It felt like she'd been sprung a pop quiz on friendship, and she had no idea how to even begin. "Let's see. Make new friends in Ponyville, the friendliest place in Equestria. Shouldn't be hard..." She said to herself, and began weighing her options as she trotted through town. Before long, her gaze fell upon Sugarcube Corner. "I could try befriending one of The Cakes," She thought outloud, but then she remembered something. "But after the way I introduced myself, would they really want anything to do with me?" She began to flashback to when Pinkie had introduced her to The Cakes, just days after Starlight had agreed to become Twilight's student.


"That new mane style looks good on you, Starlight," Pinkie said with a smile, commenting on the newly acquired mane style Starlight Glimmer had taken on. "Kind of reminds me of Twilight."

"It does, does it?" Starlight nervously asked, as she followed Pinkie to Sugarcube Corner. "So, uh, why exactly are we stopping here? I'd kind of like to get back to the castle, Twilight's probably expecting me."

Pinkie just continued to smile. "If you're gonna be living in Ponyville, you've got to get to know The Cakes. They're like a second family to me, not that there's anything wrong with my first family or anything."

"Didn't you say you grew up on a rock farm?" Starlight asked Pinkie, as the two made their way into Sugarcube Corner.

Pinkie nodded. "Yesarooni! It wasn't really bad or anything, but it just wasn't the kind of life for yours truly. Maybe next time I go back to Ponypalooza to see my parents, I'll bring you along for the ride. They're a bit weird, but once you get to know them they're rather enjoyable. But for now, it's time for you to meet the Cakes. Or at least one Cake," She then smiled, as she pointed a hoof to the counter and said. "Starlight Glimmer, meet Mrs. Cake. Mrs. Cake, this is Starlight Glimmer, a new friend of mine."

"Well howdie do, any friend of Pinkie Pie's is a friend of mine," Mrs. Cake greeted. "So, you're that new student Princess Twilight took on? You look a bit old for the part, but then again who I am to judge?"

Starlight tried to keep a friendly appearance on her face, but that was easier said than done. She was still new to friendship, and she wasn't sure how much the rest of Ponyville knew about her. "So, uh.... what do you like to do for fun?" Starlight asked, hoping to make some small talk and strike up a conversation.

"Oh, all sorts of things. But mostly, I love baking, especially for myself," Mrs. Cake warmly replied, then she giggled. "I have a bit of a sweet tooth, which can be a problem. I suppose that's part of the reason why I decided to work in a bakery with my husband, lately he's been telling me I've gotta cut down on the 'free samples' I make for myself."

"Oh, you like baking, huh?" Starlight asked, hoping she'd found a connecting point. "Can I help?"

Mrs. Cake looked at Starlight and said to her. "Baking isn't easy, Starlight. It's not just something you can do with a thought," But she had no sooner spoken those words, when Starlight used her magic to whip up a cake in the blink of an eye. "Howza-wowza!" She exclaimed, then she realized something. "Say, did you just use my baking tools without permission?"

Starlight blushed, realizing that she'd forgotten to ask. "Oh, oops." She hastily apologized.

Mrs. Cake just sighed. "Dearie, just because you have magic doesn't mean you can take shortcuts. Friendships are like baking a cake, if you try to cut corners the final product is going to be sloppy and more often than not it's not going to last."

"I'm terribly sorry, it won't happen again, I promise," Starlight insisted, before she felt a slight twitch on the tip of her nose. She suddenly let out a sneeze, her magic momentarily failing and causing her to dump the cake on Mrs. Cake's forehead. "Oops!" Was all Starlight could bring herself to say.

Mrs. Cake said nothing, she just excused herself to wash off the frosting.

"So.... uh, did I mention the Cake Twins?" Pinkie asked Starlight, but Starlight had already dashed off and had run all the way back to the castle.


Trotting past Sugarcube Corner, Starlight decided it was best to go to Sweet Apple Acres and talk to Applejack. "She'll probably know somepony who's more approachable and hopefully doesn't know much about me." She thought.

As it turned out, Applejack already had someone in mind for Starlight to meet, and the two friends made their way out to one of the orchards, where Big Macintosh was busy bucking apple trees with his back legs.

"New friend, huh? I think I have just the pony for you, Starlight. Meet Big Mac!" Applejack said with a smile, and cleared her throat. "Big Mac, we've got company."

"Howdy." Big Macintosh greeted, but said nothing else.

Starlight trotted forward and tried to start up a conversation with Big Macintosh, remembering some tips she'd read in a book about good conversation starters. "Nice weather we're having, right?" She asked Big Macintosh.

Big Mac replied with his trademark, "Eeyup." but again said nothing else.

Starlight was most puzzled by this, until Applejack explained to her. "He's not much of a talker, not 'round strangers."

"Eenope." Big Macintosh firmly nodded.

"Oh, that's too bad. I love a good conversation." Starlight replied, then an idea came to her mind. She lit up her horn, and a small stream of magic found its way into Big Mac's mouth. Applejack was concerned and confused, but Starlight just smiled, she knew what was going to happen.

Big Macintosh had to shake his head to clear his thoughts. But when he opened his mouth to talk, something rather unexpected. "Eeyup-yup-yup-yup-yup-yup-yup-yup-y-y-y-y-you did something!" He shouted at Starlight, suddenly unable to keep himself from talking. "Whoa! What's happening? I feel really weird! I'm talkin' so much! And I'm so articulate! Enunciating with such precise pronunciation!" He put a hoof in his mouth to try and stop himself from talking, but it didn't work. "Annie Apple awoke and accidentally ate an auburn azalea!" He spoke, then he screamed and ran off while shouting! "Make it stop!"

Applejack glared at Starlight, Starlight knew what that meant. "What? I can't exactly be friends with somepony who doesn't talk." She explained.

Applejack only glared harder at Starlight. "And I guess my first instinct probably shouldn't be to magically command ponies to act the way I want them to?" Starlight concluded, hoping that would satisfy Applejack.

For the third time in a row, Applejack glared at Starlight and this time the gaze was so fierce it could've killed if looks were capable of doing so. Reluctantly, Starlight realized what she had to do. "Alright, alright, I'll change him back!" And went to find Big Mac.


After correcting her mistake with Big Macintosh, Starlight trotted back into town just as her ears picked up a familiar whooshing sound. She looked up, and saw The Wonderbolts zooming past overhead.

Just then, a second whooshing sound followed, and Rainbow Dash landed in front of Starlight. "Hey, what's up? Something on your mind?" She asked.

Starlight sighed. "Well, Twilight wants me to find a new friend in time for an important dinner tomorrow, and that's proving to be easier said than done," She looked at herself as she then asked. "You think something's wrong with the way I look? You think maybe I should ask Rarity for a new hat? She already gave me the new mane style, but maybe I need to go beyond that?"

Rainbow Dash only laughed. "Come on, Starlight. Nopony's gonna make friends with you just because of your outfit. The only thing that you want a new friend to be draped in is coolness."

"Like you?" Starlight asked Rainbow.

Rainbow nodded. "Well, yeah, but you already know me," Then she gasped, as an idea came to her. "I've got it, Spitfire!" She unintentionally spit a bit of saliva onto Starlight's face as she said this, and quickly apologized. "Heh. Sorry about that."

"Oh yeah, her," Starlight realized. "Not entirely sure the captain of The Wonderbolts has time to make friends with somepony who just a few weeks ago didn't even know she existed."

"Don't remind me!" Rainbow remarked, recalling what had happened when she'd first told Starlight about The Wonderbolts.

"Spitfire? Soarin? Just who in the hay are those ponies?" Starlight wondered, it had been about a week since the whole time travel incident and she was still not sure how she was going to fit in around Ponyville.

"Only the most awesome and Wonderboltiest of all The Wonderbolts!" Rainbow Dash boasted. "They're captain and co-captain respectively! Come on, I'll introduce you!" She zoomed away, prompting a small sonic boom. She returned a few seconds later when she saw Starlight wasn't following her. "So, you coming or what?" Rainbow asked.

"Um, I guess my first question would be, 'What's a Wonderbolt, exactly?'" Starlight nervously said to Rainbow.

Rainbow gasped, she could hardly believe her ears! "What?! Please tell me you're joking!" When Starlight didn't laugh, Rainbow reluctantly realized Starlight was telling the truth, which just left her shocked and confused! "You've never heard of the Wonderbolts before?! Where have you been?!" She asked.

Starlight laughed nervously as Rainbow got up close to her face. "Enslaving villages, I guess..." She shrugged, unsure of what else to say.

"Right." Rainbow replied.


"Well, I'll see what I can do, but no promises," Rainbow said to Starlight. "Probably best if you find somepony else to be your friend."

But Starlight replied. "That's the thing though, I've been trying and trying, but I've had no luck. And the dinner is tomorrow night."

Rainbow reluctantly said to Starlight. "Then I wish you the best of luck, cause it looks like you're up the river without a paddle."

"But you promise to at least try to get Spitfire to come and see me?" Starlight asked Rainbow Dash.

"Of course," Rainbow replied to Starlight. "And I'm also gonna see if any of the other Wonderbolts are available. I've got my work cut out for me though, the next Wonderbolts show is just around the corner." And with that the athletic pegasus mare zoomed away.


Starlight trotted around town for a while longer, but she seemed to have no luck with befriending anypony. Only a few ponies actually avoided her, but it seemed like just about everypony Starlight encountered was looking at her with looks of worry, concern, and most of all suspicion.

"What is going on? This is Ponyville, for crying out loud! If I can't make a friend here, there's gotta be something wrong with me!" Starlight groaned, as she looked all around. It seemed like everypony had a friend, except for her, which did not help her nerves at all. "Okay, calm down, Starlight," She said to herself. "Nopony's gonna wanna make friends with a total nutcase, you've got to relax."

But the more Starlight looked around, the more she felt isolated and alone. "Stop stressing..." She said to herself, before she loudly shouted out for all to hear! "Stop stressing!" All eyes immediately fell upon the unicorn mare, who quickly zipped away!

Starlight didn't know what she was going to do, but she didn't have the heart to go back to Twilight and tell her that she didn't think she could make friends with anypony. "Maybe I just need to rethink my approach, somehow," She thought to herself. "And figure out a way to calm my nerves." It was then Starlight's ears picked up the sound of a ringing bell, and her eyes fell upon the the Ponyville Spa. The mare decided that a little bit of pampering probably wouldn't hurt, and made for the spa as fast as she could.

Pretty soon, Starlight was resting on one of the spa beds, her face covered in a green make-up facial and her eyes covered by cucumbers, while Aloe and Lotus worked on filing her hooves. With a sigh, she said to herself. "This is just what I needed."

To Starlight's surprise a voice that sounded like it was right next to her replied with a sigh. "Tell me about it, I've never felt so relaxed in all my life."

"Oh, you ever have one of those days?" Starlight asked, hoping that whoever the voice belonged to would reply.

Sure enough, the owner of the voice did, and said. "For me, they're all one of those days. Can't say I'm shocked though," That prompted Starlight to giggle, before the owner of the voice went on. "I'm gonna start coming here every time I visit Ponyville. Were it not for some personal issues, I'd probably settle in here permantely."

"Well, I'm new to here myself," Starlight confessed to the voice. "I've been trying to make some new friends, but it's not easy. They're not exactly saying it, but I think everypony knows about my past," She then explained to the voice's owner. "The thing is, I may have been a tiny bit... completely and utterly evil?"

"Sounds a lot like me, ponies judge me on my past as well," The voice replied. "Let's just say I've done some things in the past that I'm not exactly proud of, and they all have to do with this town here."

Starlight removed the cucumbers from her face. "Finally, a pony I can relate to," She said, and looked over her shoulder to see what looked like a light blue coated unicorn mare, with an even lighter blue mane and tail styled into a curl. Her eyes were obscured by cucumbers though, so Starlight didn't know what color they were. "I'm Starlight Glimmer, but you can call me Starlight. What's your name?" She asked the unicorn.


Back at the castle, Twilight was readjusting the silverware on the table. She wanted to make double sure that everything was in its proper place. "Soup spoon, salad fork, pasta spoon, strawberry pick," She said to herself, as she made sure each item was where it should be. With a smile she added. "I'm beginning to think that after friendship, the greatest magic of all is proper silverware placement!" She then giggled at her comment.

Just then, Starlight came dashing into the castle with a huge smile on her face! "Twilight, guess what? I made a new friend!" She proudly declared!

"That's fantastic news!" Twilight replied, patting Starlight on the head. "Mind telling me who he or she is?"

"Well, she's great!" Starlight began.

"Great!" Twilight smiled.

"She's powerful!" Starlight added.

"Powerful?" Twilight asked, confused a bit by Starlight's statement.

"She's..." Starlight began, only to be cut off.

"Hello....princess." A familiar voice greeted, and into the room trotted a familiar light blue coated unicorn mare, with an even lighter blue mane and tail styled into a curl, dark violet eyes, and (to Twilight's surprise) a light purple hat and cape with white stars and swirls on them.

"Trixie?!" Twilight realized, as if surprised to see the unicorn again, especially with the grin registered on the unicorn's face.

Starlight seemed to be quite surprised by the looks Twilight and Trixie exchanged, it seemed like the two had some "bad blood" or something if the unfriendly grins they gave each other was anything to go by. "You two know each other?" Starlight asked them.

"You could say that, though I must admit it is a surprise to see Trixie again." Twilight said to Starlight, while eyeing Trixie carefully.

"We've had our differences, as I'm sure the princess will tell you," Trixie explained. "What matters is Twilight gave me a second chance, and I appreciate it." She paused for a moment, as she and Twilight seemed intent to just stare each other down, before she made her way over to Starlight.

"So, um, what brings you to Ponyville, Trixie?" Twilight asked.

Trixie smiled. "Oh, I was hoping you'd ask, princess. For you see, The Grrrreat and Powerful Trrrrixie has come to perform a new stage show of grand illusion!" She boasted, waving her hoof through the air in a dramatic gesture. "I am calling it 'The Humble and Penitent Trixie's Equestrian Wide Apology Tour'!"

"Gee, that's kind of a mouthful." Starlight commented in a hushed tone.

Trixie replied in a tone equally as hushed. "It's a working title."

Meanwhile, Twilight was eyeing Trixie's hat and cape, and was scratching her head. "Say, Trixie, about your hat. Don't quite know how to tell you this but it kind of, got burnt to a crisp when the library blew up."

"A pity, but as they saw in the performer's world 'The show must go on!'" Trixie exclaimed. "This hat is a simple clothing spell, I can take it off and put it on with just a thought, and I can change it and my cape at will if I so choose, observed!" She lit up her horn, and her hat vanished. She lit it up again, and her hat returned to the top of her head. Lighting up her horn a third time, her hat and cape transformed into a formal dress, and with a fourth lightning of her horn, her hat and cape came back.

Twilight was amazed, but even so she was a bit concerned about Trixie's behavior. Something didn't make sense when she considered how she and Trixie had parted ways last time. Clearing her throat, Twilight said in a serious tone. "Starlight? A moment? Over here?" She then used her magic to pull Starlight and whisper to her in a hushed tone. "I know I said you could make friends with anypony, but, well, with Trixie's past, and your past, I'm not sure she's the best... choice for the first you've made on your own. Did she tell you about the alicorn amulet incident?"

Starlight nodded. "I'll admit that did give me cause for concern, but then again it's not like you and your friends haven't done bad things in the past. Besides, you've forgiven her, right?" She asked her teacher.

Twilight nodded and said to Starlight. "Of course, I'm just trying to look out for your well being. Trixie isn't exactly the nicest pony, and I'm concerned she might be a bad influence on you."

Starlight replied by saying. "I appreciate you trying to look out for me, but if this is going to work I need to know you're willing to trust me to make friends on my own. After all, I assume that's the same way Princess Celestia trusted you, isn't it?"

Twilight sighed, Starlight had a point. "You're right, I do suppose a teacher has to be willing to step back every once in a while and trust their student," She then cautioned. "Just be back in time for the dinner tomorrow, okay?"

"Thanks, Twilight!" Starlight said happily. "I promise you, you won't regret it!"

"I sure hope not," Twilight sighed, as she observed the little figurine Trixie had made out of the silverware. Clearing her throat she turned to Trixie and said. "Trixie, you listen and you listen good, okay? Starlight trusts you, and for better or for worse I'm going to trust her judgement. But I'm only gonna say this once, you treat Starlight well, understand? Because if you give me one good reason to think you're using Starlight, or that you might hurt her in any way, shape, or form, I won't hesitate to take her away from you and send you packing. So for your sake, I hope you'll prove to me that you can be trusted."

"Relax, princess," Trixie taunted lightly. "You have my word that no harm shall come to your student while she is with me. Now if it's all the same to you, Starlight and I have some things to take care of, so we'll see you later." And with that, the two unicorns left the castle.

"Just what was all that about?" Spike asked, having just woken up from his nap, as he came into the throne room.

Twilight sighed and said to Spike. "Trixie's back, and apparently she hasn't quite given up on being a showmare after all. And for better or for worse, she's struck up a friendship with Starlight."

Spike was more than a little concerned upon learning about Trixie. "Oh great, just when I thought we'd finally seen the last of her. Do I have to get a restraining order or something?"

Twilight tried her best to reassure Spike. "Now, now, let's not jump to conclusions, Spike. Hopefully there's a perfectly logical explanation for all of this. I just hope Starlight's trust isn't misplaced."

"Well, one thing's for certain," Spike said seriously, puffing up his chest. "Looks like you'll have to make room for an additional guest at that dinner tomorrow, because if Trixie tries anything to you or Starlight, I want to be there to stop her!"

Normally, Twilight would've giggled at Spike's dramatic display of heroism, but she was too worried to even think about laughing. All she could think about, was Starlight hanging out with Trixie. "I hope I don't come to regret letting Starlight hang out with Trixie," She thought to herself. "Knowing Trixie, she's bound to get carried away sooner or later."


Trixie and Starlight quickly made their way to the park near the center of town. Trixie planned to use the stage to kickstart her apology tour, though she refused to say why she was doing it. By this point, she had taken off her hat and cape (she didn't want them to get dusty or covered with sweat).

While decorating the stage for her performance, Trixie boasted to Starlight. "This magic show's gonna be the greatest thing Ponyville's ever seen! It'll totally blow their minds!"

As Starlight and Trixie worked on preparing the stage, a couple of ponies walked by. Although they tried to whisper to avoid being overheard, Trixie could still here some of the adverse comments they were making. "Everypony always says they'll give you a second chance, but deep down, they never forget," She complained loudly. "Never, ever!"

"That's what I'm worried about," Starlight commented to Trixie. "You already know what I told you about my past, right?"

Trixie nodded. "I'd like to say I would never dream of such actions, but then again who knows what I'd do if I were as powerful as you or Twilight. It just burns me up how she's always better than I am. I know it's wrong of me to think that way, especially after she saved my life and came to my aid on at least three seperate occasions, but I just can't get over the fact that she was the first pony to beat me at what I thought I did best."

"Trust me, I know what that feels like," Starlight replied, expressing her concerns. "It never does good to dwell on those feelings, it only leads to pain and suffering. In my case, I was lucky I didn't end up destroyed or thrown in a dungeon for the rest of my life. I get the feeling that anypony else wouldn't have been so forgiving."

"Yeah, you should consider yourself lucky." Trixie said, before she sighed.

"What is it? You feeling okay?" Starlight asked Trixie. "You're not coming down with something again, are you?"

Trixie shook her head. "No, no, I'm perfectly fine. I've learned my lesson about trying to press on when I'm under the weather," She then explained with a sad look. "I heard what Twilight said about me, and she's right. I wasn't very nice. So I'd understand if you didn't want to be friends. Truth be told, I've always been kind of a loner by choice."

But Starlight only replied. "Are you kidding? You're the first pony I've met all day who has any idea how I feel!"

Trixie looked all around, before she whispered to Starlight. "Can you keep a secret?"

"Uh, sure? What are friends for?" Starlight asked Trixie. "What is it?"

After looking around again to make sure she wouldn't be overheard, Trixie said in a hushed tone. "You know how I said I was jealous about Twilight? Well, just this once I'd like to be able to beat her at something. That's part of the reason why I'm putting on this tour, I'm sincere about the apologies but if I could somehow best Twilight, that would be a nice little bonus."

"I guess your secret's safe with me." Starlight whispered to Trixie.

"Thanks," Trixie said, then smiled as she asked Starlight. "So, wanna help me unpack my wagon? I should warn you though, I tend to spend a lot of time on the road with my wagon, so it might be a tad messy."

"Well, maybe I could help with that?" Starlight suggested. "I'm pretty good at organizing stuff. Magic props, brainwashed crowds, you name it." Then she and Trixie laughed.

Meanwhile, from the safety of a nearby bush, Twilight and Spike observed the two unicorns as they went off together. "You think Starlight will be mad if she finds out we're spying on her?" Spike asked Twilight.

"Definitely," Twilight whispered. "But we're just doing this until I can be sure Trixie's not up to something, so far it's looking pretty good for her case. Maybe she has changed."

"Yeah, well knows for sure?" Spike commented, before he noticed something and nearly gasped! "Uh-oh, don't look now, but we've got an angry Starlight at twelve o'clock!"

Starlight then came trotting over, and was quite dismayed when she spotted Twilight and Spike in the bushes. "So back at your castle when you said 'I trust you', you meant 'I don't trust you', is that it?" She asked Twilight.

Twilight nervously laughed. "Okay, so maybe I'm a little more weary of Trixie than I let on. Can you really blame me given what she's done in the past? I trust you, Starlight, but you're still new to friendship. Trixie hasn't always been the most honest or straightforward pony in the past."

Starlight just sighed. "Look, I appreciate your concern and all, but you're wrong about Trixie. She's just like me. We have a real connection."

"That's what I'm afraid of." Spike commented under his breath.

Reluctantly, Twilight looked at Starlight and said. "I did give my word to trust you, and against my better judgement I suppose I have to keep that promise. But if you ever have any cause for concern or think things aren't working out, don't hesitate to tell me."

Just then, Trixie called out. "Hey, Starlight! You coming?!"

"In a minute, Trixie!" Starlight called back, then turned to Twilight and Spike. "So, if I promise to come talk to you if I have a problem, do you promise to stop following me around?"

Twilight reluctantly nodded. "Just don't tell Trixie we were here, let's not let a few past misunderstandings ruin the possibilities of the future." And she and Spike then left the bushes and headed back to the castle.

"That's better." Starlight said to herself, and went to catch up with Trixie.


Over the course of the next day, Twilight and Spike reluctantly stayed in the castle and prepared for the dinner with Princess Celestia. Meanwhile, Starlight helped Trixie with unpacking her wagon, which included all kinds of magical props and even a few heavy boxes and trunks.

"You know, Trixie," Starlight spoke up, as she pushed yet another heavy trunk out of the wagon and onto the ground. "I was thinking. You said Twilight is better than you at everything, but that's not actually true. You're better at magic."

Trixie shook her head. "Only when I'm wearing a soul-sucking evil amulet, so I don't think that counts."

"I meant stage magic," Starlight explained. "That's why you call yourself The Great and Powerful Trixie, right?"

"Well, of course!" Trixie smiled. "Great? Yes. Powerful? Obviously. But I'm not the best."

"Is that so?" Starlight asked Trixie.

Trixie nodded as she told Starlight. "As great and powerful as I am, there's one trick I've never been able to do – the Moonshot Manticore Mouth Dive! Only one magician has ever pulled it off!" She pulled out a few old photographs, all of them depicting a unicorn stallion who looked to be in the prime of his youth.

"Who is that?" Starlight asked.

Trixie smiled. "My hero, Hoofdini! The greatest escape artist Equestria ever knew, and one taken before his time by a ruptured appendix. He was the entire reason I became a magician, I wanted to be able to do the things he did," She then showed a series of photographs depicting the magician doing his most famous trick. "The Moonshot Manticore Mouth Dive works as follows," She explained to Starlight. "You are supposed to blast yourself into the open mouth of a hungry manticore! And after the manticore chews you up and swallows you, you magically step out of a box on the other side of the stage! Completely unharmed!"

Starlight was quite amazed at the detail of the photographs, and what she saw of the trick Trixie had just described. Even so, she was a bit nervous. "That sounds very..." She began.

"Dangerous?" Trixie interrupted. "Because I know it is, that's why I've never attempted it."

Starlight shook her head. "I was gonna say cool! I'd actually like to see that!"

Trixie smiled at Starlight's enthusiasm. "I knew I liked you for a reason, Starlight," She then added. "For the life of I can't figure out how Hoofdini did that trick. If I tried it, I'd get chewed up and swallowed by that manticore. And I can only think of one way out after that." She cringed at the thought of what that would involve.

"Well, not if you could use real magic." Starlight concluded.

"Obviously. Way to rub it in." Trixie complained.

"No, that's not what I meant!" Starlight replied, and explained. "I could help! You could start the trick, and right before you got chewed up, I could use magic to save you..." She lit up her horn and teleported Trixie into a nearby black box. "And make you appear in the black box on the stage!"

"I guess that would work," Trixie realized, before an awful thought struck her. "But if you made even one mistake, I'd be a goner for sure."

Starlight laughed and boasted. "Believe me, when it comes to magic, I don't make mistakes," Then she pondered as she put a hoof to her chin. "Maybe I could be your... magic show helper pony, or whatever you call it!"

"We call it 'assistant' in the magician biz. And... nopony's ever offered to help before." Trixie said, surprised that anyone was willing to do such a thing for her.

"Well, I'd be honored to be the first," Starlight offered, and even chuckled. "Maybe you could give me an assistant's outfit and give me a cool stage name or something. Like The Amazing Stardust Shimmer or something like that."

Trixie was delighted, as she pulled out a flyer for her magic show. It depicted her in her magician's hat, with a giant organeish-yellow ball with a red star in the center of it. "You may have just made my great and powerful magic show even better! Which I didn't think was even possible!" She then happily proclaimed. "We're gonna blow them all away tonight!"

But Starlight suddenly groaned and put a hoof to her forehead, as she remembered what else was to take place that evening! "I can't! Tonight's this incredibly important dinner with Twilight and Princess Celestia, and I'm suppose to bring my new friend along. I kind of forgot to tell you that earlier."

"Oh." Trixie realized, her happy mood fading in an instant.

"Hey, uh, mind if I vent for a second or two?" Starlight asked Trixie.

"What are friends for?" Trixie replied, echoing Starlight's statement from the previous day.

Starlight sighed. "I'm sure she means well and is just trying to look out for me, but even after she said she trusts me, Twilight was still watching me yesterday. It's like she thinks I'm a little kid who needs constant supervision, it's so annoying. I'm a grown mare, I can make decisions for myself!"

"A pity, but I can't say I'm shocked," Trixie commented. "Well, lucky for Princess Twilight, I have my magic show tonight."

"Can't we just postpone it til the next night?" Starlight offered. "It'll give us a chance to practice and make sure we're ready, plus we can decide whether or not we're gonna attempt to do the Moonshot Manticore Mouth Dive. And I already kind of promised Twilight I'd be there for the dinner."

Trixie shook her head. "I've already put up flyers all around town advertising the show for tonight. Even if I could take them all down before going to the dinner, I'd be the laughing stock of the town. I'm sorry, Starlight, but it's too late to stop the show. If you have to go to the dinner, I completely understand," Dramatically she then added. "I just hope I find a way to pull off the Moonshot Manticore Mouth Dive without my new assistant! Alas, such is the life of the student of a princess I guess."


That night, inside the throne room at the Castle of Friendship, Princess Celestia was sitting at her designated spot, alongside Twilight and Spike. An ice sculpture had been placed on the table to add to the mood, but already it was starting to drip, and there was no sign of Starlight anywhere or her new friend.

"Huh, I thought for sure they'd be here by now," Spike commented out loud. "I mean if Trixie doesn't want to come to this fancy dinner, I'm all for it, but there's no way Starlight just forgot."

"She probably just got a little lost on the way back from, wherever it is she currently is," Twilight nervously laughed, looking at Princess Celestia who seemed to have an impatient look on her face. "Trust me, Princess Celestia, Starlight will come."

Princess Celestia just sighed, it was obvious that she really didn't like being kept waiting, especially without any advanced notice.

But the princess wasn't the only one losing patience, Spike was starting to get a little impatient as well. "Just what could be keeping Starlight? Doesn't she know I'm starving?! If this is her idea of a joke, it's not funny!"

"You're sure you didn't see any kind of note or anything from her, not even just a comment or out of context statement?" Twilight asked Spike, who shook his head. With a reluctant sigh, Twilight got up from her seat at the table. "I really didn't want to do this, but I guess I have no choice. I'll have to go find Starlight, and when I do we're gonna have to have a little chat about neglecting her responsibilities." And she left the castle, leaving a nervous Spike to try and make small talk with Princess Celestia.

"So, uh.... anything new or exciting on your end?" Spike asked the sun princess.

As for Twilight, she was soon trotting through the streets of Ponyville looking for her student. But no matter who she asked, she failed to turn up any leads about Starlight's location. That is, until she approached the park and noticed the stage had been re-decorated, with a couple of posters advertising a magic show. It didn't take Twilight long to figure out where Starlight was. "I might have known it!" She said to herself.

Meanwhile, inside the park itself, a huge crowd had gathered for Trixie's show. A few ponies were even still finding their seats, which is just what Pinkie Pie and Applejack were doing at that very moment. "Huh, so this is the Humble and Penitent Trixie's Equestrian Wide Apology Tour?" Pinkie asked Applejack.

"Well ain't that a mouthful? Really rolls off the tongue there." Applejack commented.

Trixie poked her head out from the curtains and said quickly (and rather grumpily). "It's a working title!" Peaking her head back behind the curtains, Trixie could barely contain her excitement, bobbing up and down as she said. "Oh, this is gonna be the greatest night of my life!" Before she added. "Excuse me. Our lives."

Starlight tried her best to smile, but a part of her still felt guilty for neglecting the dinner with her teacher. However, she'd decided that helping Trixie was more important (and truth be told Starlight felt the dinner would be boring and pointless). "Yeah, I guess," She nervously chuckled. "So, uh, perhaps now would be a good time to discuss my stage name and outfit?"

But just then, who should come trotting in but Twilight? Her eyes were narrowed, as she looked at the two unicorns rather angrily. "So, this is where you've been all this time, Starlight?" Twilight scolded, looking her student sqaure in the eyes. "You just decided to skip our dinner without telling me? I thought something bad might have happened to you! Was it so hard to at least leave a note or something explaining where you'd be?!"

Starlight gulped. "I knew I was forgetting something." Was all she could bring herself to say.

Twilight sighed. "I trusted you, Starlight. I gave you a chance to prove you could manage things on your own. But I guess my trust was misplaced! I shouldn't have to constantly supervise you, but it seems I have no choice!" She said to her student. "How could you be so irresponsible as to just bail on me without any prior notice?! Are you aware that, at this very moment, Princess Celestia is waiting for you at a table with exquisite silverware placement?! She and Spike can't be kept waiting!"

Starlight tried to open her mouth, but nothing would come out.

Twilight shook her head. "Come on, we're going back to the castle, and you owe Spike and the princess an apology for making them wait!" Then to Trixie she said severely. "And Trixie, I don't know if you knew about this or not, but all the same you deserve some of the blame as well! I gave you a chance, and this is how you repay me?! By stealing my student to help with your magic show and without my permission?! I thought maybe you'd changed after our last encounter, but it seems I was mistaken!"

However, at that very moment, Starlight spoke up and protested. "Twilight, I agreed to be Trixie's assistant! She needs my help to perform this very rare and very dangerous trick! Without me, she can't pull it off!"

"All the more reason why I was right to be worried!" Twilight scolded. "I can't believe Trixie dragged you into helping with something so reckless! And Trixie, you know the Moonshot Manticore Mouth Dive is too dangerous, Hoofdini specifically said he never wanted anyone else to attempt it after he was gone! He vowed to take the secret of it to his grave, and he kept that vow!"

Starlight, however, put her hoof down and said firmly. "I'm sorry, Twilight, but I've already promised to help Trixie! You'll just have to tell Princess Celestia that the dinner is off! And to be honest, I didn't really want to go to that dumb dinner anyway!"

With a smirk Trixie than boasted! "Well, well, princess. It doesn't matter if you want to give me a second chance or not. Starlight had to choose between you and me, and she chose me! So it looks like I finally win!" But as soon as those words escaped Trixie's mouth she instantly regretted them and put her hooves to her mouth. "Wait, that came out wrong!" She insisted, hoping Starlight would believe her.

Starlight didn't. "You win? That sounds like you just made friends with me to beat Twilight. And after all that talk about how much you appreciated being my friend." She said, glaring at Trixie.

Trixie spoke up and protested. "Starlight, you don't understand! I got caught up in the moment! I meant everything I said before, beating Twilight is just a nice little bonus!" She then gasped as she realized what that implied. "Oh, wow, I can NOT shut up when I'm excited." She said, and immediately put her hooves to her mouth to avoid saying anything else.

Those words stung Starlight harshly, and with tears her eyes she looked at Trixie and said to her. "I should've known. Nopony else in Ponyville wanted to be my friend. Why would you? Twilight was right to warn me to stay away from you, I should've listened." And she bolted out the stage door, sobbing to herself with tears in her eyes.

"Starlight, wait!" Twilight and Trixie both called as they ran after her! It was no use, Starlight was gone!

Twilight turned to look at Trixie, an entirely new wave of anger washing over her. "Well, Trixie, I hope you're happy! You broke my student's heart and betrayed her trust! I can't believe you actually proved I was right to not trust you, what do you have to say for yourself?!"

Now it was Trixie's turn to sob, as she trotted past Twilight and back up to the stage. "Looks like The Great and Powerful Trixie is back to being a solo show," She said with a sigh. "The entire point of this show was to close the book on my past and start anew. My nephews, Tom and Nolan, they said I had to do it before I could truly leave behind my career as a magician and a performer," With tears in her eyes she added. "If only they could see what has become of their Great and Powerful Aunt now, they'd be ashamed to even look me in the eye. But I suppose that's just how life is supposed to be, Trixie is destined to be a solo act forever. Which is exactly the way she likes it! Thank you, Princess Twilight, for getting rid of that annoying pony who wanted to be my first friend! I am not sad at all! I definitely don't feel as if my heart is breaking into a million pieces! I suppose there's no point attempting the Moonshot Manticore Mouth Dive, but the show must go on one way or another."

Before Twilight had a chance to react, Trixie shut the stage door and locked it tight! Twilight began to frantically pound on the door, hoping for an answer. "Trixie?! Trixie! Come on, Trixie, open this door! Don't do something you'll regret! There are children in the audience for Celestia's sake!" Twilight pleaded. But her efforts were only rewarded with a muffled, sad voice calling back. "Forget it, princess! These ponies came here for a show, and Trixie must deliver! Might as well get it over with now, rather than turn and run like a coward once again."

Realizing her efforts to talk sense into Trixie weren't going anywhere, Twilight reluctantly turned around and walked away from the stage. "I've got to find Starlight, and fast!" Twilight thought to herself, and took off running in search of her heartbroken student.


The stage curtains parted, and Trixie trotted out on the stage as a spotlight shined down on her. "Come one, come all. Come and see the Pathetic and Friendless Trixie's 'Way-To-Go-Dum-Dum-You-Really-Messed-It-Up-This-Time Repentance Tour'," She said, her tone of voice indicating that she had no drive or passion to perform, she might as well have been sleepwalking through the whole thing. The crowd exchanged glances and words, both at the sudden title change and at Trixie's behavior and appearance. "It's a working title!" Trixie bellowed in a screechy voice, and began to perform her tricks and illusions. It soon became obvious that she wasn't actually bothering to do them even halfway decently, every last one of her tricks failed and the audience jeered at her with a series of increasingly audiable boos!

Reluctantly, Trixie decided to move on to the grand finale, the one trick she knew she couldn't even pretend to attempt. The audience's boos stopped, replaced by gasps of concern as they saw a chained up manticore appear on the stage. "Behold, your fears come true. A pony-eating manticore. Now, feast your eyes and ears, fillies and gentlecolts. For tonight, the Great and Powerful Trixie will be performing the Moonshot Manticore Mouth Dive."

The crowd started to gasp, only Hoofdini had been able to do that trick and when he died the belief amongst the magic circuit had been, that the trick could never again be replicated, it was too dangerous. The gasps didn't seem to stop Trixie, she knew they would be only temporary. "Now, now, save your gasps for when I defy the beast's jaws of doom and appear inside that black box," She said to the audience, as she dawned a helmet and climbed into a nearby cannon. Suddenly, her tone of voice changed from uninterested to sorrowful and regretful as she added. "I was supposed to perform this trick with my great and powerful assistant, who was also my great and powerful friend! Starlight? If you're out there and you still want to be friends, let's be great and powerful together!" And then she just sat there inside the cannon, unable to bring herself to light the fuse, for she knew that doing so would only end one way.

While the audience was worried about what Trixie was trying to do, and waited anxiously to see if she would come to her senses and abort the trick, Starlight was sitting on a nearby hill, watching the show from afar. She thought watching Trixie fail to perform would give her some satisfaction, but all it did was make her feel more hurt and alone than she had been when Trixie had made bare her true intentions. "Was it really all just a lie? It felt so real." Starlight thought to herself.

Just then, Twilight came trotting up to her student. Recognizing the look of sadness on her face, Twilight cleared her throat and said to her student. "Starlight, when I first came to Ponyville, Princess Celestia gave me room to make my own decisions and my own friends. I need to give you the same freedom. Just like me, you have to make your own decisions and your own friends, even if that means you might get hurt."

Starlight looked at Twilight and sadly asked. "But... what if Trixie really was using me just to one-up you? What if she never actually wanted to be friends with me?"

Twilight shook her head. "From what I've seen, she's the real thing. But it's not my place to judge. It's all up to you. So look inside yourself, it's there that you'll find the answer. Whatever you choose, I'll be here for you." She said, offering her student some comfort.

Starlight looked at Twilight, then looked down at Trixie. Several minutes passed, before she concentrated her magic on the fuse of the cannon.

Trixie was most surprised to see the fuse on the cannon light up all by itself, she realized what has happening! But did that mean Starlight had forgiven her?! Unfortunately, before Trixie had a chance to reconsider what she was going to do, the cannon fired and launched her through the air! Trixie shrieked and shut her eyes, certain she was going to end up in the manticore's mouth!

The audience was shocked too, as it the manticore appeared to swallow Trixie whole and let out a belch! But suddenly, there was a flash of magic, and the black box on the stage fell apart! There stood Trixie, her hat and cape torn in several places, but otherwise she appeared to be unharmed! "Behold, the Peat and Growerful Triskie...!" She said, wobbling slightly. Fortunately, Starlight was quickly at her side to support her, helping her to stand up. The crowd cheered, as Starlight winked at Trixie, who smiled and said to the audience. "And now, I'm proud to introduce my great and powerful assistant!" In a normal tone of voice she added. "And best friend," Then going back to her booming voice she said. "Starlight Glimmer!"

Starlight then helped Trixie backstage and quickly checked her for any sign of injury. Fortunately, Trixie was dazed but not harmed. However, when Starlight took a closer look at Trixie's hat and cape, she noticed that they seemed to be coated in something that had a rather strong smell to it. "Oh!" Starlight exclaimed, fanning her nose with a hoof. "What is this stuff?!"

"It's my insurance policy in case that Moonshot Manticore Mouth Dive ever went wrong," Trixie explained to Starlight. "Hoofdini was no fool, even he knew not to depend on his magic all the time. I found out that in secret, before each show he attempted that trick, he coated himself in a substance that would make him taste repulsive to the manticore. That way, if he ever messed up on the teleport, the manticore would quickly spit him out unharmed."

"I see," Starlight remarked, plugging her nose. "Please tell me it washes off."

Trixie laughed. "Don't worry, it does. It's really only noticeable if you stand right next to me. Probably should've warned you about that earlier though," Then she asked. "So, does this mean you forgive me?"

Starlight nodded. "This was partially my fault for neglecting that important dinner. Had I just left Twilight a note, we could've avoided all this trouble."

"Indeed." Trixie nodded, and she and Starlight embraced each other in a hug.

Just then, Twilight appeared backstage and called out. "Trixie!"

"What do you want? Come to rub in your victory?" Trixie asked. "Go ahead, tell me what a fool I was for thinking I could betray the trust of your student and get away with it."

But Twilight instead said to Trixie. "I was wrong. I'm sorry. And I have to hoof it to you. I could never have pulled off a trick quite like that. I just hope you'll reconsider giving up your career as a magician, I think you've got what it takes to be the true successor to Hoofdini's legacy."

Starlight smiled at Trixie, who took off her hat and said to Twilight with a bow. "Thank you, princess." She and Starlight then set off some celebratory fireworks.

As the fireworks lit up the sky, Twilight cleared her throat and said to the two unicorns. "Well, now that this little magic show is over, you two are coming with me back to the castle. We still have that dinner party to attend."

Trixie nodded. "Just give me a second to get changed," She used her magic to take off her hat and cape, and set them aside. "I'll wash and sew them later." She said, and she, Starlight, and Twilight then set off back to the castle.


By now, the ice sculpture had all but melted, and both Spike and Princess Celestia were more or less stuck making small talk.

"Say, how do you get your mane do that all the time?" Spike asked Princess Celestia. "I've been meaning to ask for some time."

Celestia sighed and tried her best to keep a decent smile on her face as she said to Spike. "It's a long story, one I'm sure would bore you to death."

Before Spike had a chance to speak up and protest that comment, the throne room doors swung open and in trotted, Twilight, Starlight, and Trixie, all of whom took their respective seats at the table.

Twilight cleared her throat and apologized to Princess Celestia. "Sorry about bailing on you and being gone for so long. But I managed to track down Starlight, and her newest friend, The Great and Powerful Trixie."

"Please, just Trixie, will do." Trixie insisted in a quiet voice, her eyes still stained with red rings from her earlier crying.

Celestia smiled. "Ah yes, Trixie. It has been quite a while since we last met. I believe our previous encounter had to do with a certain magical amulet if I'm not mistaken," She turned and coughed into a hoof. "So, you are the friend of Twilight's new student?"

Trixie nodded. "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, your majesty. I... apologize for any inconvience I might have caused you tonight. Had I not found out just this very afternoon, I would've gladly postponed my show."

Celestia just chuckled. "Oh, you have nothing to be sorry for. I wish I'd known you were performing, a magic show sounds much more delightful than a fancy dinner party. I attend plenty of those back in Canterlot."

Twilight blushed. "Well, maybe we could've worked something out. But the show's over, at least for Ponyville. But Trixie says this is going to be an Equestrian wide tour, so chances are she'll come to Canterlot to perform sooner or later."

"Perhaps with me in tow," Starlight spoke up. "I've kinda sorta become her assistant, at least for the Moonshot Manticore Mouth Dive."

While the four magical users took turns engaging in conversations with one another, Spike just sat there at the table and more or less just sighed.

At last, Trixie turned to Spike and said to him. "Ah, I see you've gotten a bit bigger since last I saw you. How has life been for you as the son of Equestria's newest and most popular princess?"

Spike scratched his head, unsure of how to best respond to Trixie's comment. "Well, it... kind of has its ups and downs," Spike replied with a nervous laugh. "And uh... if you ever make it to the Crystal Empire, I suppose you should know that the ponies there see me as some kind of hero, Spike The Brave and Glorious."

"You?! A hero?! Since when?!" Trixie asked, her jaw dropping open in shock.

"Ever since I saved the empire from the evil King Sombra," Spike explained, and when Trixie looked at him with confusion he just said. "It's a long story, one you'll probably hear straight from the horse's mouth if you go up to the Crystal Empire. It's a nice place, if you don't mind the crowds."


The rest of the dinner passed in silence, with only an occasional comment or question breaking said silence. Once it had finished and everypony was satisfied, Trixie stood up and clearing her throat she announced. "While The Great and Powerful Trixie appreciates your hospitality, and has most enjoyed this dinner, she regrettably cannot stay in Ponyville for the night. Such is the life of a travelling performer such as I."

"Uh, you could sleep in my room if you'd like," Spike offered Trixie, much to Twilight and Starlight's surprise. "I think we could arrange something now that I've no longer sleeping in that baby basket."

Trixie shook her head. "I'm used to sleeping on the road, my wagon is more or less my home away from home. In fact, I can't remember the last time I ever truly had a town I called home. But it's fine, I've been used to it for a very long time."

"Well...." Spike began, unsure of what else to say. At last, he managed to get out. "If you're ever in Ponyville again and need a place to crash, feel free to stop by here. Who knows? Maybe the next time we meet, I'll actually be a fully grown adult dragon?"

Trixie chuckled. "That would be quite the sight to see. Now then, it is time for The Great and Powerful Trixie to depart."

Twilight eyed Trixie with concern. "You're not going to escape by throwing down a smoke pellet again, are you?"

Trixie laughed and shook her head. "No escape tricks this time, and no teleportation either. I'll be leaving the way all normal pones do, through the front door. Once again, thank you all for what you've done. And Starlight, when Trixie is next in need of your services, she shall call." And with that, Trixie left the castle. Princess Celestia left shortly afterward.

Twilight smiled, as she looked at Spike. "Looks like you've finally managed to forgive Trixie for all the things she did to us in the past," She nuzzled Spike as she told him. "I've very proud of you, my son."

Spike blushed a little, even though he really didn't mind the affection. "Well, I couldn't stay mad at Trixie forever. This time I really think she's turned over a new leaf. Believe me, I'm just as shocked as you are."

Starlight chuckled. "I can't believe you actually offered to let Trixie sleep in your room. Don't tell me you've got a crush on her."

"Haha, very funny," Spike remarked, rolling his eyes. "I was just trying to be a good friend and show a little hospitality, that's all. Besides, we all know about you and your not so secret feelings for Sunburst."

"We're just friends, Spike!" Starlight insisted. "And he's a royal crystaller now, he's probably far too busy to even think of romance. Besides, look who's talking mister 'I have an insultingly obvious crush on one of my mother's best friends', or does Rarity not ring any bells?"

Spike ignored Starlight and went on teasing her as he snickered and said. "Starlight and Sunburst sitting in a tree, K.I.S.S.I.N.G!"

"That's it, you're gonna pay for that!" Starlight shouted, as she narrowed her eyes on Spike with a playful laugh.

"Catch me if you can!" Spike playfully shouted, and took off running with Starlight in hot pursuit.

Twilight just laughed and shook her head. "Those two argue so much they're practically siblings. The only question is, who's the more mature one? The big sister, or the little brother?"

Author's Note:

And so we come to the first of the Season 6 rewrites, much like "Magic Duel" this rewrite has some inspiration from yodajax10 who really disliked this episode (he has cited it as the episode that made him stop watching the show), though he is not the only one who dislikes this episode. Some will argue that this was the first true dud of Season 6 (everything prior to that was at least decent even if "Gift of The Maud Pie" was mostly meh and "On Your Marks" kind of struggled) and there are many who dislike this episode but like "Newbie Dash" (which seems to be more universally despised).

The big problem, at least for most people, is that Twilight comes off as hypocritical here. She trusts Starlight who tried to rewrite history in an act of revenge, but doesn't trust Trixie who's worst crime up to this point in the show was taking over Ponyville while under the influence of the alicorn amulet. And indeed, at times Twilight can come across as hypocritical. She does have a right to be weary of Trixie, considering her personality and tendency to get into trouble because of her ego. But she does go a bit overboard by trying to arrange a different friend for Starlight and then just demanding that Starlight stop hanging out with Trixie because of a misunderstanding.

To be fair, Starlight and Trixie are also kind of in the wrong here too. Trixie for intentionally at least plotting to take advantage of Starlight's friendship, and Starlight for not telling Twilight about her intention to skip the dinner to help Trixie. And admittedly the climax does feel like it was written because Nick Confalone wanted to have an antagonist to increase the stakes (speaking of Nick, it's probably worth mentioning that he apparently received death threats because of this episode. Like with Amy Keating Rogers, there is no excuse for this behavior. It's fine not to like an episode and be critical of the person who wrote it, but sending them death threats won't solve anything and will just make you and anyone else who disliked the episode look bad).

There's also the fact that this episode seemed to cement the fact that the writers were just skipping over Starlight's redemption and had her already be friends with the mane six. To that extent, I cut out the Rarity and Fluttershy scenes, as they are pointless, and reworked the scenes with Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash since in the former Mrs. Cake just suddenly becomes grouchy towards Starlight for no reason, and in the latter it feels highly questionable that Rainbow Dash wouldn't have at least mentioned The Wonderbolts in Starlight's presence at least once. The Applejack scene stayed as it was, because that's the sort of situation Applejack has a right to be mad about, trying to force someone to talk when they don't feel like it, is rude regardless of intentions.

Now it's time to address what seems to be the elephant in the room when talking about this episode, what many people claim was a suicide attempt on Trixie's part, and her guilt tripping Starlight with the threat of committing suicide if she didn't help her pull off the Moon Shot Manticore Mouth Dive. Personally, I didn't think it was a suicide attempt, but I can see how a lack of clarification on the issue could easily make it seem that way. There's an actual documentary on professional wrestling that shows the son of one of the wrestlers meeting all the actors backstage before one of the shows, and being told it's all fake and his father isn't actually in danger, but even knowing that what he sees looks so real and so convincing that it overrides the part of his brain that knows it's all just acting. What's shown can easily override what you're told, and the infamous radio broadcast "War of The Worlds" demonstrates just how dangerous the power of imagery can be to the mind.

To correct that issue, I made sure to change the cannon scene so that Trixie doesn't light it herself, and that we know she had a way out in case she did attempt the Mouth Dive and couldn't teleport to safety. The bit with Hoofdini and how he died is actually based on what is believed to have been the fate of Harry Houdini (whom Hoofdini is based on). Contrary to popular belief, he didn't die in one of his escape tricks, he died of complications from a ruptured appendix though it isn't clear what he knew and what he believed, or whether the ruptured appendix was actually what led to the complications (he was told by his doctors that he was not feeling well and even had a fever during his final performance, but he still insisted on performing anyway so it's possible the appendix rupturing had nothing to do with his death).

I also, on the suggestion of yodajax10, added the scene at the end with Spike and Trixie, giving their arc in this rewrite series some closure. I also decided it was best to show some of the dinner, as I'm sure some people will claim "No Second Prances" ended a little abruptly.

Lastly, Trixie's nephews, Tom and Nolan, are a reference to two LA voice actors who have voiced fictional magicians in cartoons. Tom Kenny (the voice of Spongebob among many other roles) who voiced Mumbo Jumbo in the original Teen Titans cartoon (and more recently the Ice King in Adventure Time) and Nolan North (the voice of Deadpool and Nathan Drake among other roles) who voiced Zatara (the father of Zatanna) in Young Justice.

Hopefully the "Newbie Dash" rewrite will be out by Monday, but there's the possibility of severe weather where I live and it's possible I could lose power (hopefully not but you never know). If that should happen, I'll do my best to update you when power is restored. I don't anticipate problems as I haven't lost power in severe weather before, but you can't predict Mother Nature. Assuming the "Newbie Dash" rewrite comes out on schedule, the rewrite of "Applejack's 'Day' Off" will hopefully come out later next week. But I'm still sticking to the likelyhood of an early April wrap up date for this series, as I don't know what kind of coursework I'll have to juggle once school resumes for me on Monday, and in late March I have to register for classes for the next semester.

Episodes to be rewritten:
Bridle Gossip
Family Appreciation Day
Magic Duel
Keep Calm and Flutter On (Two Parter)
Flight to the Finish
Tanks for The Memories
Made In Manehattan (Will be retitled "Fillydelphia Follies")
The Cutie Re-Mark Parts 1 and 2
No Second Prances
Newbie Dash
Applejack's "Day" Off
Spice Up Your Life
The Cart Before The Ponies (Bonus Chapter)
Every Little Thing She Does

Previously rewritten episodes:
Boast Busters
Look Before You Sleep
Feeling Pinkie Keen
Green Isn't Your Color
Over A Barrel
Luna Eclipsed
The Cutie Pox
Hearth's Warming Eve
The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000
It's About Time
One Bad Apple
The Show Stoppers
Owl's Well That Ends Well
Dragon Quest
Spike at Your Service
Just For Sidekicks
Games Ponies Play
Bats!
Rainbow Falls
Three's A Crowd
Filli Vanilli
Somepony to Watch Over Me
A Bird In The Hoof
A Friend in Deed
Apple Family Reunion (Bonus Chapter)
Power Ponies
Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3 (Bonus Chapter)
Castle, Sweet Castle
Appleloosa's Most Wanted
Princess Spike
Canterlot Boutique
Scare Master
Hearthbreakers
What About Discord?
Bridle Gossip
Family Appreciation Day
Magic Duel
Keep Calm and Flutter On (Two Parter)
Flight to the Finish
Tanks for the Memories
Fillydelphia Follies (Made In Manehattan)
The Cutie Re-Mark Parts 1 and 2