• Published 3rd Jul 2012
  • 3,273 Views, 286 Comments

Beauty Is Where You Find It - Verdigris



Celestia makes good on a long-ago promise, and everypony deals with the consequences.

  • ...
8
 286
 3,273

Rest and Recuperation, Part Two

Chapter 9

(((())))

“Honesty is such a lonely word. Everyone is so untrue. Honesty is hardly ever heard, and mostly what I need from you.” – Billy Joel, Honesty (52nd Street)

(((())))

Michael looked at Celestia for a long moment, conflicting emotions on his face. “You can’t keep this from him,” he said. “He has every right to know, and the report says it’s not a complete certainty. You’re screwing yourself up for the worst-case, including his rejecting you. I’ve seen this before … and I’ve said that more than once.”

Celestia nodded. “I know, but he once asked how I dealt with it, and I told him. I don’t know if he believed me, Michael. Either way – ”

“I had the impression you thought more of him than that, Celestia,” he replied. “He’s worried about disappointing you, to the point it affects his judgment, is that what you think?” She shook her head. “You’re worried he’ll think less of you. If you didn’t, I’d worry. You can’t know what he’ll think or say or do until and unless you tell him.” He paused, waited a few seconds, then continued, “If you won’t, I shall. Imagine how that will appear.”

Celestia closed her eyes. “I know. I just don’t want to drop one more thing on him. It’ll seem like I’m the one doing this to him, instead if it just happened on its own.”

“How can you say that? You know he’s not that sort, and why.” Michael glanced at the scroll. “Your blood still runs in his veins, despite the fact it should have been assimilated. It’s grown in volume as he’s grown. Now I understand precisely why you think of him as your son. He is, literally and figuratively. Do you honestly believe he’ll think it was deliberate when you tell him the truth? That you pretended you had no idea?” He shook his head. “I believed you were above that.” Celestia lowered her head, closed her eyes and sobbed quietly, tears falling to the floor. He sighed. Will you at least fight back?

Finally, she raised her head, blinked away the tears and looked him in the eye. “You’re probably right, but how can you not have doubts about what you do, Michael? You gave him your life story to read, so he knows you and I aren’t that different. We’re not perfect. Of course I’m worried. This isn’t all that different.”

“The hay it isn’t,” he replied. “You went out of your way to prevent it, and as I said, you couldn’t know how much power you’ve gained. How is it you’re to blame for not knowing the unknowable?” He sighed. Striking a balance is never easy. “Right, so he’ll know you’re not infallible. Everypony knows what happened to Luna, but not why. Some might believe you knew, but you were completely blind-sided, as I’ve been more than once. You’ve never dealt with true evil; even Discord’s little more than an over-powered schoolyard bully compared to what I’ve dealt with. For here, it’s more than enough. She spiraled out of control after the trigger, that’s obvious. You can’t tell me you knew what did it. It built up so slowly you couldn’t have known, and even then she did nothing immediately.

“Verdigris’ situation isn’t all that different, but he understands the consequences. He’s trying not to abuse his power, and I’d say doing a commendable job of it. The only times he’s really used it was when it mattered, and then only what was absolutely necessary. Nothing more. I’ve known adults with less restraint. He knows he can cause serious harm. You’ve no idea how relieved I was to learn he bears Oceanside no ill will. Well, other than Bluestreak, and not even then. He doesn’t hate them. They’re what they are, and how’s that a crime?”

She nodded occasionally during the mild rant, then dried her tears, nodding when he finished. “I know all that, but it’s hard to be sure of the rest. You haven’t – ”

“Oh, please. I’ve done the same. I tried to save an entire world, and unknowingly set its destruction in motion. I’d seen its future, and didn’t bother to look into the past for the originating event. If I had, they’d still be alive. Four billion beings, Celestia, all because I didn’t investigate, and worse, I can’t fix it.” He paused, then continued, “I doubt Freewind and Firelance would blame you for not being able to know. You’re a Goddess, but you know not all are infallible. I can name four who might be familiar to you, all of whom let their hearts over-rule their heads. It was tragic, but there was no way they could have known.” He paused, then slid close and wrapped a wing around her shoulders. “There’s no guilt in that, or in this. There’s no way you could have known. Stop punishing yourself, and start forgiving yourself. It’s not your fault. Sometimes, what happens simply happens. The reasons, if any, are beyond us, and I’m tempted to say beyond everyone. You had no time, and did the best you could. Nopony could ask more of you.”

Celestia leaned against him with a sigh. “That may be so, but I can’t help wondering. If I’d taken a little time to think; if I’d asked the doctors – ”

“Could’a, would’a, should’a,” Michael said dismissively. “Anypony can say that afterwards whilst beating themselves up. Look forward, not back. The past is the past, and can’t be changed, ‘Tia. Remember, but don’t dwell on it. What good will you be to Luna if you’re twisted up in that?”

She looked at him, her eyes flashing. Much better, he thought. “Right, then. He has to be told. Perhaps not today or tomorrow, but before the week’s out. If you were more certain, would it be easier?” She nodded hopefully. “If you have any more samples, I can do a more thorough battery of tests, but I’d be lying if I thought we’d have a concrete answer yea or nay. We can narrow it down further. Will that do?”

“It will have to do,” she said firmly. “It’s not just unfair to him, it’s unfair to Honey Bunch and Sea Grass. It’s unfair to his family.” And any children he might have, she thought with a shiver.

“Yes, and he doesn't need the resentment. All right. I’ll stop by the laboratory on my way out. Just promise me you’ll tell him before he leaves Canterlot. In pony. A letter simply won’t do,” he replied gently.

“I will, probably by the end of the week. Thank you for listening, and telling me the raw truth, Michael.” She nuzzled him. “Just be sure you make the report – ”

“Appear in its proper form. You know I shall.” Michael looked about the room, then back to her. “So, what have I missed?”

They spent some time bringing each other up to date, ending about lunch time. “And of course you’re staying,” Celestia said, her smile deceptively sweet, her eyes steely.

“Well, since you asked so nicely,” he replied with a smirk. Celestia started, then looked down towards the residence wing. “Something’s wrong. He’s having a bad reaction to something.”

“Then we’d better look in on him. Nopony gets over nearly dying over-night.”

(((())))

Verdigris sat in Twilight’s rooms, reading the book he’d barely started the night before, and wishing he hadn’t touched it. The descriptions of lightning injuries – with pictures ranging from uncomfortable to outright gruesome – were horribly fascinating; try as he might, he couldn’t put it down. This is the last case file, he told himself for the fifth time. He didn’t have the stomach to continue reading after one particularly bad case about a pregnant mare – “GAH!” he half-screamed as he threw the book across the room, clenching his eyes shut. It didn’t help. That poor mare, he thought, wincing.

A knock at the door was a very welcome distraction. “Come in.” Blackwolf looked in, his expression concerned. “Oh, Uncle Mike. Come in.”

“It’s not just me,” Michael replied as he and Celestia walked in. “What’s the matter?” Verdigris only nodded at the book while he covered his eyes with his hooves and groaned. As he walked to it, Michael dropped his Pegasus disguise. He raised the book, looked at it and flinched. “You’ve gotta be kidding me!” he barked with no trace of an accent, sounding like any other pony. “Oh, I’m so glad we hadn’t eaten, yet.” He glared at Verdigris. “What were you thinking?”

“I was wondering what I’d have to deal with, if anything shows up later,” Verdigris said. “I wasn’t expecting … that.”

Celestia walked to Michael’s side and peered at the volume curiously. Her head jerked back, her face blank with shock, her eyes huge. Her gaze wouldn’t leave the image until Michael closed the book and set it down. “That – that – oh, I think I’m going to be sick,” the Princess said, her voice small and hesitant. “What’s Twilight doing with that?”

“I don’t think she knows what’s in it,” Verdigris said as he shivered. “I don’t think she ever opened it. The pages still crackle.” He closed his eyes and shook his head. “Ugh. I don’t think I’ll ever get those pictures out of my head.”

“Well, we’ve more bad news to top that,” Michael said, looking at Celestia. She took the obvious hint and passed the scroll to her god-son. He read it, growing more intent as he went. He finally looked at the Princess, obviously wanting to ask, but unable to make the words come out. “It’s not a complete certainty,” the stallion added. “I’ve the sample they took whilst you were unconscious. I’ll do my own tests, and we’ll have a more definitive answer.”

“I’m sorry,” Celestia said quietly. “I didn’t take my own power increase into account.”

“What told you?”

“Your progress. You shouldn’t have come this far so soon. I started wondering – and worrying – after you beat ten half-grown stallions into the ground.” She looked away and closed her eyes. Verdigris stood, walked over and put his wing around her; she flinched when she felt the touch on her shoulder, but kept her eyes closed. “I’m so sorry. I may have made things worse, but in the other direction.”

“Will you please stop it?” he asked with a trace of annoyance. “You keep blaming yourself for something you had no idea was going to happen.” He nuzzled her, and she sighed. “I’m not blaming you. You once told me even Princesses have limits. You can’t be brilliant all the time. Well, only as Sun Princess, but you get my point.” Celestia chuckled in spite of herself. “That’s better. I don’t want you to worry, god-mother. It’s not going to change anything, and I’m not going to let it bother me. I’m going to concentrate on getting better, and if you need to, you can watch so I don’t hurt myself. Will that help?”

She sighed, then nodded. “Yes, I think so.” She looked him in the eye, her expression hardening slightly. “And you should spend more time with your loves, Verdigris.” His eyes went wide, then he face-hoofed. “Oh, come on. Anypony can see it, if they really look.”

Michael chuckled. “That will teach you to believe you can keep secrets, lad,” he said. “Too many know you too well.” He smiled, and asked, “So, are you trying to decide whom to choose?”

“You shut up.”

“In other words, no. You don’t want to, do you?” Michael’s expression said he knew exactly how that felt.

Verdigris’ next words stopped. They didn’t – they couldn’t have told him, he thought. He looked at Celestia, who pointedly looked out the window. “Oh, yeah, they’d tell you.” He sighed. “Yeah, you’re right, Uncle Mike. I don’t want to. I love them both, and I know how they feel about me. It’s just … I don’t know how we can make it work. No way, in Oceanside. Canterlot? If Blueblood’s typical, I don’t think so.”

“There’s more than those two places,” Celestia said. “There’s no hurry. You’ve got another six years to decide and plan.” She smiled. “I think all three of you made good choices, but I’m not sure you and Honey Bunch had any say in it, god-son. The two of you fit perfectly.” They didn’t see Michael flinch; he covered it by walking out onto the balcony and looking up.

“I just don’t want them to catch any crap,” Verdigris said. “I don’t need to tell you what they’re probably saying back home. First I get really hurt, then they come here. ‘Hmm, wondah what those youngstahs ah up tah’,” he added, sounding like the typical nasal, peevish Coast pony. “I’ll bet Full Sail has some choice words ready. He’ll have more when Grass and I tell him Honey’s not coming back.”

Michael looked back inside in surprise as Celestia stared at him with wide eyes. “I didn’t think she told you.”

“I know she wants to stay. I can see it in her eyes, and me, Grass and probably you said she should. I really don’t want her ending up dragging back to Oceanside and have to listen to what they’ll say. She deserves a lot better. So does Grass. Maybe we’re from the right place, but we can’t stay there. I’m too different, and Honey and Grass are too bright.” He set the scroll down. “Add to that we all want to do more, and that won’t sit well, either. Grass and Honey want to go to college, and I’d like to. You ought to hear what they say about ‘College Colts’. You’ll be so mad your head asplode.”

Michael laughed at Celestia’s bewildered expression. “I haven’t heard that for some time. How’d you come by it?”

“Your memoirs,” Verdigris replied, looking at him steadily. “And some might call me a Mary Sue.”

“No worries on that score,” Michael replied. “At least not compared to me.” He smiled in chagrin. “Next edition, the memes go away.”

Celestia put her head beside Verdigris' and murmured, “We don’t really need it, but do we have your permission to do the tests? I’ll feel better about it.”

“Of course. I’d like to know if I’m going to end up like you and Luna, instead of being able to turn it on and off,” he replied. He looked straight at Michael, adding, “I don’t want to know what it’s like. Ever.”

“Trust me, I understand completely, lad. Had I but known.” Michael checked his saddlebags, looked out and up, then said, “Well, if this is to be done, I should go. I ought to be back in two days. As always, duty calls.”

Celestia walked to his side, nuzzled him and smiled. “We know. Mostly because you keep repeating yourself.”

“A hazard of age,” he replied. “As always, sometime again.” He closed his eyes, and he was gone.

“I’ll never get used to that,” the Princess said as she looked where he was standing for a few minutes.

Verdigris nodded, then said, “What about that book? I can’t believe Twilight actually wanted it.” He shivered again.

The book floated back to its place on the shelf. “Leave it. You don’t have to read it again. I know you want to burn it, but she’d regard that as blasphemy, and I have to agree. Just because it makes you uncomfortable doesn’t mean it’s not valid, god-son.” Celestia walked over and nuzzled him again. “And I can’t believe you’d want to ruin a friendship over that.”

“You’re right, I don’t. All I wanted was an idea what I’d have to worry about as a survivor, not – ” He shuddered violently. “Not see the ponies who didn’t make it. I’d swear that book was made to scare ponies unnecessarily. If you’re smart, storms aren’t that dangerous – don’t say it.” Verdigris looked at Celestia with an apologetic yet determined expression. “I was saving lives. That’s the Patrol’s job, and calling. I’m not supposed to worry about myself, I’m supposed to worry about the ponies in danger.”

Celestia smiled with quiet pride. “The three of us have that in common. I suppose I was right to think of you as my son. Whether the report’s implications are true or not, I still will, Verdigris. I know I say it a lot, but I am proud of you. Your parents should be, too.”

“All three of you?”

Celestia looked at him in surprise, then laughed softly. “If you ever say ‘Yes, mother’ to me, I’ll prank you.” Approaching hoof-steps and Tango’s bemused “Good afternoon, Twilight,” filtered through the door. “Don’t say anything about the book, unless you want the one you mentioned. It’s nopony’s fault. Okay?”

“Okay,” Verdigris replied as Twilight walked in; she had a few scorched patches in her coat. “What happened to you?” he asked.

“Oh, I tried to test a lightning resistance spell I found, but it didn’t work,” Sparkle replied. “I think I know what I did wrong, though.”

“Don’t get fried on my account,” Verdigris told her. “I’m supposed to do stupid things. I’m male.” Twilight did a double-take, then giggled. “That’s better. Seriously, don’t do it. It’s not worth it.”

“Oh?” Celestia replied haughtily. “And you aren’t enjoying being waited on hoof and hoof?” Her eyes sparkled with amusement.

“There’s no good way to answer that, and you know it,” he replied, giving her a sour look. “And by who?”

“Did you really mean it about getting out of my mane?” Twilight asked, suddenly serious. “I don’t mind sharing my rooms.”

“I still do. There’s a distinct lack of privacy for both of us, Twi. You really appreciate it after losing it.” Verdigris tilted his head to one side and raised an eyebrow. “Am I wrong?”

“Well, I’d be lying if I said no,” she admitted sheepishly. “Just don’t go too far, okay? I like our talks.”

“I think we have rooms available nearby,” Celestia commented. I’m so glad you two met, even if it wasn’t under the best circumstances. Maybe it’s better that way. She looked at the door and her eyes narrowed. Tango, front and center.

The door opened, and the Pegasus Guard stepped in. “Yes, Highness?”

“Verdigris is moving down the hall. Would you and Blaze supervise? He’s not to do anything strenuous.”

Her god-son rolled his eyes. “All I had with me was the Patrol saddlebags, and those need to go back.”

Twilight blinked. “You weren’t wearing them when you arrived.”

Verdigris face-hoofed. “Oh, great. I’ll have to replace them.”

“Let’s find out what happened before you go jumping to conclusions,” Celestia said firmly. “That was in the line of duty, in any case.” She nodded at the door. “Go on. You need your own space.” Verdigris nodded and followed Tango out.

“I’m going to miss having him here, Princess,” Twilight said after a minute.

“He’s not leaving, my faithful student. He’ll be just down the hall. And though he’ll be leaving when he’s well, I think you’re better off making a friend. You’ll have more. You may not think so, but there’s more to life than study, Twilight. Much more. Life is meant to be lived, not merely observed or studied, and there’s still a special somepony out there for you.” Celestia moved beside and gently nuzzled her. “Trust me, a life without friends isn’t really a life.”

Twilight returned the affection. “I know you mean it, but I can’t be as sure. I’ll try, but I’m still going to study.”

The Princess smiled. “I can’t ask for more. Trying is fine, but giving up isn’t an option.”

(((())))

Verdigris looked around the suite. It was, other than a few details, identical to Twilight’s. “I wasn’t expecting this much space,” he said, his voice echoing slightly.

“I can understand. Very few ponies realize these rooms are usually for extended stays, or royal relations. Brief visits are the apartments down a level,” Tango replied. He glanced back as Blaze supervised a few domestics as they moved what little furniture Verdigris was using, and brought more to complete the room’s furnishings. “You’ll adjust. Everypony does.”

“I hope not. This is outrageous luxury compared to what I’m used to.” Verdigris walked on and inspected the bedroom. He tested the bed, and gasped. “Whoa. This mattress is soft.”

“It’s a cloud mattress. Her Highness loved them when she first encountered them, from what I was told,” Blaze replied as he and Tango joined him. “Most ponies never want to go back to what they had, and I don’t blame them. You’ll never sleep better.”

“Unless you’re Twilight,” Verdigris said. “She didn’t look that rested this morning.”

“Yeah, she’s usually up late, studying. I’ve never seen anypony who did that, not like she does,” Blaze replied. “When she first saw the library, her eyes got so big you’d think they’d fall off her face, and she was nearly drooling. She loves knowledge and learning.”

Verdigris chuckled. “Yep, I was right. Bookworm, but she’s not like most I’ve seen. Not that I’ve seen a lot. They wouldn’t let me in school, back home,” he complained, then face-hoofed. “Darn it, I didn’t mean to dump that on anypony.”

“Her Highness and Surestrike told us a little about you,” Tango replied as they walked back out into the front room. “If you think you’re the only one with a rough life, talk with some of the Earth pony Guards. Farm colts can be a rough bunch. Celestia help you if you’re the runt, or – like you – have an odd feature.”

“Only one? Sounds fantastic,” the Alicorn replied. “I shouldn’t be this way, but I never get to really talk to Uncle Blackwolf when he’s here.”

“He’ll be back. He’s watching you, just at a distance. Surestrike said he was here right after Celestia visited you the first time, and she misses him a little.”

“When did he first show up?”

“We’re not really sure,” Blaze said, scratching the back of his head. “If she ever tells anypony, she’s a little vague about when.”

Humph. Guess I was hoping for too much.” He looked at the balcony longingly. “I know what’s bothering me. I haven’t flown for a while.” He spread his wings and looked at them sourly; he almost didn’t see Tango flinch. “Yeah, they’re a mess. Blackhoof said they need work, but it’s not going to happen right away.”

“You can’t rush,” Blaze said. “You were laid up for ten days, and need to get your strength back before you try anything. Break a leg, some time. It’s worse.”

“Have you?”

“No, but I’ve heard, and seen it a few times.” The Unicorn glanced back when Celestia and Twilight walked in. “Company.”

Verdigris folded his wings and said, “It’s a little big, but fine otherwise.”

Twilight looked around. “Wow. Mine doesn’t look this big.”

“With all those book-shelves, I shouldn’t think so.” Verdigris walked over and nuzzled her as she blushed. “Oh, stop it.” He looked at his god-mother. “What is it?”

“Lunch time. My chambers. No refusals,” she replied as he began to protest. “What free time I have is mine, Verdigris, and I’ll spend it how and with whom I choose. Honey Bunch and Sea Grass will be there, and remember what I told you earlier,” Celestia finished, giving him a narrow-eyed look.

Verdigris dropped his head in defeat, then smiled nastily. “Yes, mother,” he replied in a mock-sullen tone.

Celestia started, then smiled. “Oh, really? Then it’s on.” She turned and nearly pranced out, head held high and humming to herself.

“What was that?” Blaze asked as Twilight face-hoofed.

“I recognized that. You dared her to prank you, Verdigris. You don’t know what you’re in for,” Sparkle said.

“She won’t do much of anything. I’m still hurt.”

“I wouldn’t count on that, lad,” Tango replied. “Maybe no banana peels, but I wouldn’t be surprised about a whoopee cushion or two.”

“Or pepper in your tea,” Twilight added, blushing as she remembered her welcome to the castle.

“Maybe, but it sounded to me like she wants me to try a few back. Nopony really ever tries to get even, do they?”

“There’s a reason. Everypony heard of the prank wars between her and Luna, and didn’t want to risk it.” The Guards shivered.

“Oh, come on, Blaze. She won’t be expecting it, if that’s true. She won’t be expecting it from any of the Guard, either.” While they digested that, he looked at Twilight. “Or her faithful student.”

“B-but – I can’t!” she protested. “I’m no good at that kind of thing.” Never mind that she’ll send me to the moon.

“Horse apples. You won’t know unless you try, and you can’t tell me you don’t want a little pay-back, Twi. She started it by telling me what would happen if I said ‘Yes, mother’.” He leaned down, looking her in the eyes. “Come on, it’ll be fun.”

“But what will she think about me when she finds out?”

“She doesn’t like completely passive ponies, now that I think of it,” Tango said as a wild look came into his eyes. “Even her servants have to have some spirit.” Blaze didn’t say a word, but the same look crept into his eyes, too. The Pegasus looked at his partner. “We’re in.”

Twilight looked down and sighed, but had the same look when she met his eyes. “This is going to bite us in the flank. You know that.”

“As long as we’re careful, it shouldn’t. Not right away. You saw that smile. I think she’s actually looking forward to it,” Verdigris said with an infectious grin. “Okay, I know I’m the first target. You think of what we can do. Hmm, do you have the castle’s architectural plans, Twi? You seem to have everything else.”

“No, but I know where to get them.” She tried not to let her eagerness show, and failed badly. “When do we start?”

“Tomorrow. We need to plan, and we might be rank amateurs, but even I know you don’t strike back right away. Let her worry.” He looked up thoughtfully. “If she does. If she’s the pranking champ, she won’t.” He put a hoof to his chin thoughtfully.

“Some will have to be multi-stage,” Blaze volunteered. “One small prank to set up the real one.”

“Well, she ought to be ready, so let’s go,” Verdigris said. “I guess you’re coming along; I know she’s got you watching to make sure I’m okay.” He led the way out, chuckling. “This should be fun.”

(((())))

“Ugh. Stairs. It’s started already,” Verdigris said as he reached the top of the last flight. The others waited as he caught his breath.

“Are you sure about this?” Twilight asked, her eyes wide with concern.

His eyes narrowed. “Oh, definitely. I’ll be along; go ahead.” I’ll start with the classic bucket over the door, with something in her shower pipes, he thought. We’ll need some liquid rainbow.

The filly looked at him for a moment, then continued on with Blaze; Tango stood by and waited. “Don’t get mad, Verdigris. You won’t be thinking straight, and it could get … messy.”

The colt smiled. “Oh, I hope so.” He raised his head as his breath evened out. “Okay, let’s go. Don’t want to keep her waiting too long.” They walked in slowly, and Verdigris took the place that was obviously his at Celestia’s left. As Blaze took his place – Celestia still insisted on informality – Verdigris sat. The half-expected “music” of a whoopee cushion was loud. He glared at her. “Honestly, a whoopee cushion?”

Celestia’s expression of wounded surprise was too good. “How could you think that about me?” she asked, her eyes sparkling. “Tea?”

Verdigris rolled his eyes as the chuckling died down; some pranks were too good not to laugh at, even the simple ones. He glanced at the tea. Too obvious. “All right.” After receiving the beverage, he sipped, and found he was right. Probably in some of the food, he thought. Honey Bunch and Sea Grass didn’t even glance his way. Oh, they’re in on it too?

Twilight watched nervously. The Princess and Verdigris were far too serene, smooth and courteous, as she’d seen a few times at the Royal dinners and breakfasts. Oh, it’s definitely on, she thought as she watched. She noticed how the servants kept a few items separated, and she smiled to herself. I’ll start this one. She’d practiced an undetectable variation of her telekinesis, and thought now was the time to test it. Since we’re all going to catch it, eventually, she thought.

When everypony laughed as Verdigris made a face after taking a bite of his pancakes, she made the switch; two teapots were identical, and Celestia had served him out of one, which was removed after the first cup. Nopony reacted, and she returned to her eggs, smiling to herself hopefully. Maybe only a month on the moon.

Blaze and Tango watched them, hiding their amusement as best as they could; the enchanted armor helped. Celestia and Verdigris had finished their first cup, and poured the seconds with relish. “Here’s mud in your eye,” she said before nearly chugging her tea. Nopony expected her to stop with a choked expression; her eyes widened ridiculously as her pupils shrank. She grabbed the pitcher of water and drank deeply. Verdigris’ look of surprise was genuine, as far as they could tell.

As the colt burst out laughing, Blaze surreptitiously checked Twilight, but she appeared mystified, at least until he noticed her eyes narrow ever so slightly and glimmer. Oh, ho, it’s on sooner than we thought. Good filly, he thought. He was sure Celestia would assume it was her god-son, and he wasn’t disappointed.

“Very clever. I never noticed,” she said, looking him in the eye. Fortunately, he didn’t glance at anypony else. “All right, today makes it official. We’ll stop here, until tomorrow.”

The rest of lunch was peaceful. No more pranks occurred, but the Alicorns watched each other cautiously. So this is what it was like, Tango thought, wondering how Verdigris managed to prank her back. The next day was going to be interesting.

(((())))

The following days were indeed interesting, but only if you weren’t involved.

On the following day, Verdigris’ first ploy sprang when Celestia opened her bedroom door after retiring for the evening. Something dripped onto her mane, and she stopped dead in her tracks. When nothing else happened, she looked up, just in time to catch the bucket-full of pancake batter in the face. As it dripped down her head and neck, she grumbled to herself. The second-oldest trick in the book, and I fell for it. Nice variation, though. I’ll have to come up with something special for him, she thought as she removed her regalia and took it with her into the bathroom. Once there, she set her crown and pectoral in the sink, then stepped into the shower after removing her shoes.

She carefully checked the bottles, and nodded when they came up clear. She stepped into the shower and turned on the water, enjoying the warmth as she washed the batter off. After drying off, she walked to the vanity to brush her mane. The brush dropped at the same time as her jaw when she saw her appearance in the mirror. Except for her mane and tail, she was covered with criss-crossing rainbow stripes. A giggle escaped, then she laughed. It was impossible not to. Once it was out of her system, she burst out, “Verdigris!”

(((())))

The second day, both Alicorns arrived at breakfast sporting large black circles around their eyes. Each held a stereoscope and looked at the other accusingly while the nobles, guards and servants gawked. Nopony, not even Blueblood, was foalish enough to say anything. That didn’t stop the intermittent giggling, of course, nor the loud, uproarious laughter from the kitchen. Celestia and Verdigris silently ate, occasionally glaring daggers at each other.

That evening’s dinner wasn’t any better, as neither would touch a dish they didn’t see anypony else eating. As most of the usual crowd didn’t attend – they didn’t want to be caught in the middle – neither ate much. It didn’t help that somepony had told the kitchen to prepare their favorite desserts.

(((())))

Blackwolf arrived the next morning, and during breakfast he noted Celestia and Verdigris sent a few dishes back to be re-made. He asked Twilight, who was inexplicably sitting several seats away from the Princess, “What’s going on?”

“Verdigris challenged the Princess to a prank war, and it’s getting a little … intense,” she replied softly. “I think she’s got Honey Bunch and Sea Grass helping her, but I’m not sure.”

Blackwolf looked around, noting how everypony either met or avoided his gaze. “You, Blaze and Tango are on his side.” It wasn’t a question. Her slight blush told him all he needed to know. “Right.” He stood up. “If the pranking doesn’t stop right this instant, I shall join in, and I’m known to be unbeatable,” he said, looking at each Alicorn in turn. “I’ve some news both of you are interested in, and you’ll not hear it until you agree to drop it.” His eyes bored into Celestia’s. “Now.” She sighed, then nodded. He looked at Verdigris, who swallowed, then nodded, his eyes wide. “Ah, you’ve read that part. Good. It’s over.”

He walked to the kitchen. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ll just see to it nopony’s got anything in the works. Bad jokes rile the stomach, and since I like to enjoy my meals and I’m on a tight schedule, I’m not having it.”

As he disappeared, Celestia and Verdigris looked at each other. “He’s not joking. It’s over,” she said. He sighed, then nodded. Neither missed the other looking at their allies.

“About bloody time,” Blackwolf said as he levitated a tray of pastries around, watching everypony until they took one. “And no, you’ve nothing to worry about.” He walked back, muttering, “Bloody foals, the lot of you.”

(((())))

Later, Twilight, Verdigris, Celestia and the Guards met Blackwolf in Verdigris’ rooms; Blackhoof was there as a courtesy. The doctor and Guards who weren’t in the know started as he traded Pegasus for Alicorn form. He took a scroll out of his saddlebags, opened and glanced at it. “Right. I’ve very good news. Your concerns, while not unfounded, were groundless. The probability of Verdigris’ ascension are less than one in one thousand, at least within the next few years. Probability is high that it’s still going to happen, but not for at least fifty. After that, I can’t say, but extrapolations from progress to date make that point quite firm. You’ll have a normal life until then.”

Everypony sighed with relief, except Blackhoof, who took the report and read it silently, going over it in detail. “What about when I ‘blossom’?” Verdigris asked. “I could do it almost at will, before the Comet.”

“That might speed it up, but only slightly. However, your current condition won’t let that happen, if the results we have are any indication. At the moment, all your surplus energy appears to be going into healing your wings. Nothing’s left beyond that.” Again, the other ponies sighed. “Yes, that does take out the uncertainty,” he said, looking at Celestia.

“Yes, it does. Thank you,” she replied, finally letting her tension show as it drained away. “I think we can concentrate on helping your wings heal. That reminds me. What about his horn and hooves?”

Michael walked over to Verdigris, took out a small, inscrutable device and pointed it. After a few seconds, he looked at its display. “I’m afraid that’s permanent. It’s strictly cosmetic, but I can’t say what’s caused it, other than the lightning.”

“Wait, what about growth?” Blackhoof said. “Shouldn’t that make the black fade?”

“It appears the formation layers are slightly different, but within norms. If something had gone slightly different earlier, he’d have had them after the infusion, instead of now.” Michael tilted his head. “Just the effect of the power put through them, nothing more.”

“So it’s effectively natural,” Twilight said. She’d moved to Blackhoof’s side and studied the report while they were talking. “He’d look this way once he passed the higher Threshold.”

Michael smiled. “Precisely, my dear. I can see why she chose you.” Twilight blushed as she smiled.

“Well, that’s good news,” Verdigris said. “I like the way I look, but I’m glad I won’t, well...” he trailed off, not wanting to say it.

“Yes, nephew, and so am I. That’s too much to drop on anypony before they’re ready for it.” Michael looked around. “Is there aught else?”

Celestia smiled when he said that. “You do love the Archaic Mode. All right. We believe nought else is required, Michael. Canst thou remain, or must thou depart?”

“I may tarry no longer, my liege-lady. Thou mayest take assurance I shalt return, when thy sister hath been restored,” he said with a bow. “Much more elegant, and yet contradictorily ungraceful. I think I can stay a few minutes more, but then I must leave,” he said, looking at Verdigris.

“Then we won’t stay. Let’s go, everypony. Tango, Blaze, take your posts. The rest of you with me.” Celestia paused to nuzzle Michael as she left, while Twilight gave him a brief hug. Blackhoof nodded as he passed, as did Surestrike and Blackwing.

When they were alone, Michael said, “I’m really pressed for time, lad. Make it brief.”

“This answered most of my questions, but still, how do you deal with it? Celestia said it’s one day at a time, but I keep thinking there’s more to it.”

The black stallion nodded. “She’s right, and so are you. I do go one day at a time, and I stay busy so I don’t dwell on it. I remember them, but I don’t let myself fall into the trap of self-pity over their loss. I knew them so well that I know they’d take me to task for it. Never let go of the good memories.” He shook himself, then said, “But don’t let it worry you until it actually happens. And yes, I knew I was going to change; I dreamt it, and wrote it down. I simply didn’t know quite when or how it would come. Despite what you’ve read, it came as a complete surprise. From those in similar circumstances I’ve spoken with, it always does. None of us, save one, sought it out, and we all thought he was mad. Well, that’s unfair. He was driven by a need to do better, so others wouldn’t suffer. I suppose I can give you those books; to understand me, it might help to understand him, as much as any being can.”

Verdigris nodded, then stood and hugged his “uncle”. “Thanks. That helped a lot. I guess I can get back to getting better. You’ll be back, like you promised?”

“And miss Luna’s return? Are you daft?” Michael replied with a smile. “Though you’ll probably see her first. I envy you that, but not greatly, Verdigris. She was a wonderful creature before the Nightmare. Another benefit is Celestia will smile more, perhaps return to the happy, somewhat care-free mare I once knew. And no, I shan’t say when I first appeared. There are enough clues.” He paused, tilting his head to one side, as though listening. He sighed. “I have to go. Sometime again, Verdigris,” Michael said with a final hug.

“Sometime again, Uncle Mike,” Verdigris said as he vanished. He stood there for a few minutes, then sighed. “Well, at least I got a few answers.”

(((())))

The next seven days were an exercise. In Verdigris’ case, literally, while for the others it was in patience, anxiety and scolding.

Against Blackhoof’s and Horse’s orders, he joined the Guards in their daily regimen, at least as far as they’d let him. Surestrike made it plain, and final: No contact. Verdigris could join the exercises, runs and some combat training, but under no circumstances would he allow the young stallion to join their sparring. Verdigris had been suspiciously agreeable, Celestia thought, but Monday made it plain why. He staggered back from training, nearly exhausted. All he did was eat a small but protein-heavy meal, shower and collapse into bed.

The Guards didn’t slacken their pace. Verdigris had refused when Tango and Blackwing asked, and afterward Surestrike had shown no mercy, pacing and haranguing him for the entirety of the first day. He only backed off as Verdigris improved.

As Twilight suspected, he improved over the rest of the week. He was sore, but forced his way through, including a set of wing-strengthening exercises that looked excruciating. He was able to eat more, and actually take part in conversations, instead of falling straight to sleep every evening.

Honey Bunch and Sea Grass berated him a few times, but gave up when he refused to stop. Their “You could hurt yourself,” arguments were blunted by his calm “I know” replies. Once they saw the improvement, they laid back, but still worried. Twilight and Celestia tried to get him to take it easy, but their requests, followed by pleas, fell on deaf ears. The doctors didn’t even try to stop him; they gave him advice and help, but only when he asked.

Everypony understood that he wanted to get back into shape, but a few thought he was over-doing it, and starting too soon. To his satisfaction, he came through it looking better, though not as he did before the strike. Celestia kept a calm exterior, but her eyes shone proudly. He had been and remained a fighter, and she was content – nay, happy with that.

(((())))

“I don’t know whether to be happy for, mad at or disgusted with you,” Doctor Horse said after he and Blackhoof finished their examination Sunday morning. “Nopony should have been able to do that, but no, you have to break every rule of medicine.”

“I broke them by surviving, doc, and I had help,” Verdigris replied as he got off his bed. “Besides, I’ve got to be in shape for the work that’s got to be done on my wings, right? From what Blackhoof told me, it’s going to be...” he trailed off. “Unpleasant, at least.”

The MD blinked, then nodded. “Well, yes, that’s true. But there’s no reason to try to kill yourself to get better.”

“Was that a joke?” Verdigris asked with a skeptical glance. “That’s impossible. Doctors are the most humorless ponies I’ve ever met.”

“Considering how some of our patients behave, what else could we be?” Blackhoof rejoined. “You shouldn’t have started exercising this soon. You don’t know your full capabilities.”

“And neither do you,” Verdigris shot back. “In case you haven’t noticed, I’m unique, and you of all ponies know why. If you think I’m going back to Oceanside in less than top condition, you’re forgetting what I’ll have to deal with. Maybe I’m pushing myself, but I don’t dare show any weakness. Being called a freak was bad enough. I’ll be darned if I give them any excuse to call me a cripple. Frequently and repeatedly.” His gaze hardened. “There's no way I'll let that happen. I’ve got my pride, and a reputation to protect.”

Blackhoof sighed, then nodded reluctantly. “All right, all right. Just slow down if you feel any strain. I don’t want to have to tell your parents.” He waited until Verdigris was about to protest to say, “Or Freewind.”

“That was low.”

“Considering how you’ve been going after us, you should know,” Horse replied. The Earth pony carefully stood and adjusted his leg brace. “You don’t want one of these. If you think I’m going to listen to you complain, you’d better have something interesting to complain about.” He exited with haste, fuming.

“You don’t want to antagonize him, Verdigris,” Celestia said from the couch, where she, Twilight, Honey and Grass had waited. “He can make your life miserable.”

“He’ll have to get in line.” He stretched his wings until the tendons cracked. “When do we start on these, Blackhoof? I’m going stir-crazy, not being able to fly.”

“Tomorrow. I’ll need to get everything together. You might want to soak your wings this evening. I’ll need your skin to be as soft as possible, and lotion won’t help. You don’t want it in your follicles. Trust me.”

“Okay. See you then.” As Blackhoof left, Verdigris let out a nervous sigh. “It’s going to be bad, isn’t it?”

“From what I’ve heard from a few Guards, yes,” Celestia replied. “It won’t go quickly, either.” She paused. “If you’re morbidly interested, I can tell you what you’re in for.”

“Might as well. I am not reading that darned book again,” he replied with a shiver.

“Sorry,” Twilight said. “I didn’t know what was in it.” She made a face. “It’s going to the Library.”

“First, the follicles have to be opened and cleaned, which includes removing the feather shaft stubs. After that, there’s an antiseptic rub, followed by a hard massage. That will hurt. Then your remaining healthy feathers need to be preened. That will make up for it all.”

“I can do that.”

“No, I mean properly. That’s part of your problem. Stallions are as bad with their manes, too; just run a comb through, and it's fine.” She looked at Grass and Honey. “Do I have any volunteers?” she asked with a smile that made Verdigris instantly suspicious.

Oohhh, we thought you’d never ask,” Grass all but purred with a speculative glance in his direction.

“Just think, we’ll have you all to ourselves,” Honey said in a sultry tone Verdigris had never heard.

Twilight’s face-hoof didn’t help his sudden nervousness. “If this is a prank, you’re going too far,” the Unicorn commented.

The sudden laughter still didn’t help. Verdigris said, “What’s the joke?”

“Oh, nothing. You’ll like getting your feathers preened,” Honey Bunch said as she walked over. As she nuzzled him, she said, “It’s the best feeling in the world.”

“O-o-o-kay,” he replied dubiously. He looked to catch Celestia’s distant smile. “You’re not joking about any of it.”

Her smile faded. “No, I’m not. It has to be done, or you might never be able to fly as well as you did before. It’s worse than feather flu.” He shuddered. Freewind had caught it at school, and it was bad. “I’d hate to see that happen. Your wings are your best feature.”

“Speak for yourself. That smile is what I look forward to,” Sea Grass countered. She looked at Honey Bunch, who only smiled and nodded. “You’ll like it, and we’ll teach you how to do your own. If you don’t, your feathers do weird things.” Verdigris raised an eyebrow. “Oh, stop it. We already know you're weird.”

“Okay. What about speeding up my feather regrowth? You said it could be done,” he said, looking at Celestia.

“It's part diet, exercise and a spell to increase your metabolism,” she replied. “You'll need more protein, but you've got that covered, as well as the exercise. As for the spell.” She stood and walked over to the bedside. “Lay face down, get comfortable and spread your wings.” He did, and she continued, “Whatever you feel, don't move. This has to be precise.” She turned to the couch. “Twilight? Could I have your assistance?”

“Mine, Princess?” the Unicorn asked as she trotted to her side.

“I'll need some extra power, and I need to concentrate on the application.” Celestia smiled. “And why wouldn't you want to have something to hold over his head?”

Twilight sat down and looked at her. “Friends don't do that, right?”

“Yes. Good. Now help me, please.” Twilight concentrated, and power flowed from her to the Princess; Celestia leaned down and touched her horn to the base muscle bundle between Verdigris' wings, then moved to his wings themselves. She moved slowly and deliberately, touching every feather and follicle. On occasion, a dead feather fell away.

Verdigris held still, resisting the urge to scratch at the tingling. “I see what you mean. I can feel every follicle. Weird.”

“I'll bet the doctors will raise a fuss,” Sea Grass said after watching for a few minutes. “They probably want this to go naturally.”

“What's unnatural about magic?” Celestia asked. “It's part of us. Why shouldn't we use it?”

“How long is the physical part going to take?” Verdigris asked. “The opening and cleaning.”

“Two hours per wing, and you can't have any drugs, and no spells can stop the pain. Nopony's sure why. The massage is to condition the muscles and expel any remaining debris. For that, I'll have my own staff do the work. They're very skilled, and have a sensitive touch.”

“You're really going all-out. Somepony might claim favoritism,” Honey Bunch said. “We understand, but others might not.”

“He's my god-son, and why shouldn't I reward a Patrol pony for risking everything? It's part of the job perks, but I've always had to force them on the deserving.” Celestia paused, kissed Verdigris' ear and resumed. “You stubborn coast ponies,” she added with affectionate amusement. “It's for your own good, but you still won't take it.”

“No, of course not. It's what we do, and who we are,” Verdigris replied. “Going to sea isn't natural, unless we learn to breathe water, and swim like fish.”

Celestia’s smile widened. “Of course. For that, there'd have to be sea ponies, and everypony knows they don't exist.” She moved to whisper into Verdigris' ear, “Just like humans.” She chuckled as she resumed her work. Verdigris resisted the urge to face-hoof.

After forty minutes, Celestia raised her head and let out a breathy sigh. “It's done. It won't stay active for more than two weeks, so you'd better start the diet tonight. After the procedure, you won't be able or want to use your wings for about three days; the follicles will be tender. After that, it's a matter of time.”

Verdigris rolled onto his side. “Thank you,” he said quietly. “I need a minute; my wings aren't 'talking' to me.”

“Is that a bad sign?” Twilight asked as Grass and Honey moved to nuzzle him.

“No, it's a side effect of the spell. You'll get the feeling back in a little while. In the meantime, I think an early brunch is in order.” Tango nodded when she looked at him, and he stepped out to place their orders; he and Blaze knew what everypony preferred. “All right. I have to see to the arrangements. I'll be right back.”

As Celestia left via the balcony, Verdigris experimentally moved his wings, adjusting the primaries and secondaries. “Oh, there we – ow. She could have warned me about the burning.”

“Don't look at me,” Twilight said. “I just did what she asked.”

“No, it's not you or her,” he replied. “It's starting to feel like the chest rub mom used when I had a cold. Feels good.”

“Oh, then it should be all right,” Honey said. “It means the blood flow increased.”

“Then I'll just lie here and enjoy it.”

Celestia returned as the door opened, and Rigel and two other hoof-maidens followed Tango inside, carrying a few well-laden trays. “Ah, good. Rigel, I want you to meet Honey Bunch. She'll be your apprentice.”

The Pegasai looked at each other, taking each other's measure. Honey walked over and bowed. “I hope I'll do, Rigel.”

The hoof-maiden looked at her for a long moment, then smiled. “I think you will. Her Highness' choices are always good.” She turned to Celestia and said, “We can begin next week. I can tell she has something else on her plate.” She looked back-and-forth for a moment. “And I suppose you'll want her to relax as you did Blackwing and Surestrike, Highness?”

“I'd prefer it, Rigel. I know it's not exactly what you were taught, but I don't need the formality. I appreciate the adjustments you've made, but I'd still prefer friends to servants,” Celestia replied apologetically. “I have to think of Luna.”

Rigel nodded. “Then I will see to it little changes. Thank you, Highness. I wanted to be sure you were in good hooves.” Celestia nodded, and the ponies withdrew.

“All right, no standing on ceremony,” the Princess said. “Everypony dig in. Honey, you can begin by feeding Verdigris. Sometimes you have to take care of sick ponies, and this will be good practice. I don't think you want to move.”

“Oh, hay, no. This feels great,” Verdigris replied. “I might fall asleep, though.”

“Not if I spill something on you, 'cause I'll have to lick it off.” Her slight smile was belied by the smoke in her eyes.

“Hey, no traumatizing everypony,” Grass said, nodding toward Twilight, who started to blush.

“Oh, I could stand some serious traumatizing,” Celestia replied, making her student blush almost scarlet. “But Sea Grass is right. You two behave yourselves – no, wait, let's try that again. Pretend your parents are standing in the doorway.” She smiled as Honey's ardor cooled visibly, while Verdigris face-hoofed.

“Now you're traumatizing us,” Honey said as she shut her eyes hard. Twilight’s giggles rang out. “Oh, don't you start.”

“Hmm, since Honey's going to be busy, I'll take over this.” Sea Grass moved to Verdigris' side and began feeding him carefully. “This isn't as easy as it looks,” she said after dropping a fork-full of broiled squid on his face. She thought it was interesting that Twilight noticed, but wasn't bothered that they ate fish and other sea life.

“Oh, here, try this,” Twilight said, her embarrassment forgotten. She trotted to the bed-side, took the fork and held it in an awkward-looking position, but had no problem getting the food into Verdigris' mouth. “There. See how I did that?”

“When did you learn that?” Honey asked as she watched.

“Oh, I was watching Nurse Gentle Heart. I thought knowing how would be useful.”

“Over-achieve much?” Verdigris asked.

“Look who's talking,” Grass replied.

“Foals, foals,” Celestia chided. “Don't make me send you home early.”

“Oh, please don't, Aunt Celestia. Pleeeaaase!” Honey mock-whined, which started Twilight giggling again. “Remind you of somepony?”

“Me and my brother. I did that to him a lot.”

Tango smiled as he ate. “I can't believe I used to do that, once upon a time. I drove my mother to distraction.”

Celestia smiled. It was good to have this kind of banter going again, after so many years. Her smile faltered. Luna and I used to tease each other like this. I miss it. It's so good to hear it again, she thought as her smile returned. She sat back, enjoying her meal as the youngsters went about the semi-serious business of being youngsters.

(((())))

“This time you've gone too far! This time you've gone too far! This time you've gone too far! I told you! I told you! I told you! I told you!” – Peter Gabriel, Digging in the Dirt (HIT)

(((())))

That evening, everypony was gathered in Verdigris' rooms again, discussing what he might have to face the next day. Nopony among them had had to go through it, and so they could only speculate.

“When you get ready to soak your wings, let the hottest water you can stand wash over them,” Celestia told him as the others began leaving, stifling and hiding yawns. “At least five minutes.”

“Why?”

“You'll see. Good night, god-son.” Celestia nuzzled him, then kissed his forehead.

“All right. Good night, god-Dam.” I wonder why. Well, she wouldn't tell me unless it meant something.

He walked into the bathroom, turned on the shower and waited until the water was as hot as it was going to get. He put his hock into the stream, and hissed before adjusting the temperature. Okay, that should do it. He stepped into the water, wincing a little as the streams hit his feathers and the exposed follicles. “Ah, that feels good,” he murmured as he closed his eyes, feeling the heat soak in.

He opened his eyes and looked as he felt something, just in time to see a follicle open with a small pop! He wrinkled his nose as the smell hit him, and he saw the shaft stub and some ugly-looking pus run out. Another follicle opened, then another, then a few at once, then a run of about a dozen, followed by the rest, or so it seemed. He nearly gagged at the putrescent odor. Ugh, no wonder she was vague about it, he thought. I wouldn't have gone through with it. But it feels good, now. It just stinks to the moon, and that will – well should – go away.

He waited until no more follicles opened, then applied soap and a brush, gently scrubbing the stench and its source away. A few more follicles opened, but no more by the time he'd finished. When his wings were clean, he ran very warm water into the tub, dropped in some of his branded bath salts and slipped in on his back, ensuring his wings were submerged. The warmth felt wonderful, as did the residual tingling from earlier. He relaxed, occasionally twitching awake as he began to doze. The salts made his wings burn slightly, but he knew they'd help.

About an hour later, he climbed out, surprised to see the water was still clear. He drained it, then shook himself mostly dry. He walked out onto the balcony, spread his wings and stood there, letting the slight breeze finish the job, enjoying the feel of the air moving across his wings. Even when not at their peak, they told him the weather would be warm tomorrow, and he felt the Pegasai working to bring some clouds in the afternoon. Good. It's been sunny all week. Canterlot could use a little rain; it's getting dusty.

Ah, there thou art. He opened his eyes, looking for the source of the voice he almost heard. Thou knowest the truth, Verdigris. Look up, and behold us. He looked at the full moon, which seemed to brighten slightly. Aye, even when distressed, thou art glorious. Our dear sister's crowning achievement. He felt something ripple across his coat, and the almost-voice said, Soon. Very soon.

What do you want? he asked silently.

Why, thou, of course. Once our sister's power wanes, we shalt claim what is ours, including thee. Her greatest triumph, become our most cherished prize.

His eyes narrowed as they glowed. I'm nopony's prize, Nightmare. Luna. Whoever. You can't just swoop in and take what's not yours. You have to earn it. Don't think for a moment I won't go without a fight. He didn't notice his mane and tail were flowing as they had before; he didn't notice he'd grown. All he knew was the voice and the moon as he stared at it. I may not win, but you won't have the walk-over you think it will be. Bet on it.

He felt a start of surprise, a twinge of anger and then a surge of almost obscene sensual pleasure. Oh, yes. We do love a challenge, and thou art a worthy goal. Thou mayest not believe, but thou wilt come to love us. Of that we are certain, Luna/Nightmare seemed to purr.

Talk is cheap, and Celestia’s not just sitting there, waiting for you. As her god-son – no, her son, I'll fight at her side, whole or hurt, if I have to, whether she wants me to or not. This won't go your way. You can't win.

He felt her smile; he could almost see the draconic eyes narrow. Believest as thou wish, Verdigris. Soon, all wilt be mine again, and our sister in the dark, not to escape us again. Thou and all shalt have mine night eternal, of which to stand in awe. Thou wilt be at our side; it is inevitable.

“Never!” he shouted in defiance. “Not in a thousand years!” He felt more than heard her chuckle.

As so many have said, yet in the end, they did yield. As wilt thou. Adieu, for the nonce. There was a slight, almost imperceptible brightening, and he was alone, except for the moon above.

“No bucking way in Tarterus,” he growled as he returned to normal. “Over. My. Dead. Body.”

(((())))

“You can tell ev'rybody 'bout the state I'm in; You won't catch me crying 'cos I just can't win. I don't care anymore. I don't care anymore.” -- Phil Collins, I Don't Care Anymore (Hello, I Must Be Going)

(((())))

Celestia looked at Verdigris over breakfast, wondering what had happened last night. She'd heard him scream something at the sky, but when she asked what it was about that morning, he only said, “She and I had a small talk.”

What did she tell you, Verdigris? she wondered. More of the same? How everypony will love her eternal night? How everypony will love her? She sighed to herself. Did I bring this upon you?

Will you stop it? his voice said in her mind. I'll tell you, but not just yet. I still have to get my head around it. She looked to see him watching, and nodded.

Verdigris finished his poached salmon – the dish had horrified the nobles who'd attended, as he'd obviously planned – wiped his mouth and said, “If you'll excuse me, god-Dam, I have to get ready for the doctor to inflict atrocities on my wings.” He stood and lowered his head.

“Of course, god-son. Please try not to scream the windows into fragments.” He straightened, smiled grimly and left, flanked by Tango and Blaze. The nobles looked at each other, confused and speechless. Mostly.

“Aunt Celestia, were you serious?” Blueblood asked, looking a little green. Not only had the meal affected him, Verdigris' appearance was still unpleasant enough to bother those with sensitive stomachs, especially the angry-red bare patches on his wings.

“Unfortunately, we were. If he doesn't get them treated, he may never fly again. It's a painful procedure. You may want to go out for the day.” Celestia watched, and she thought most, other than Fancypants and Fleur, would be gone. One can hope, she thought.

(((())))

Verdigris arrived to find a large massage table in the living area. It was obviously meant for Pegasai or Alicorns, as there were two large side-tables for spread wings. It looked comfortable. I hope so. Four hours in one position won't be very fun. He looked to see the balcony doors were open, and enjoyed the cool breeze.

He turned when Blackhoof said, “Ah, right on time.” The doctor nodded, then said, “Lie down and get comfortable; I need to check.” After Verdigris got settled, the Unicorn did a brief examination. “Ah, she told you about the hot water trick. Good.” He continued, and asked, “What did you add to the tub? I can tell it wasn't plain water.”

“The sea-salt and herb bath salts branded under my name,” Verdigris replied. “I thought they'd help, and they made everything feel better.”

“Good choice. Sea salt is a wonderful natural cleanser and skin conditioner, and the herbs did a nice job, too. Well, this should go smoothly,” he said as Honey, Grass, Twilight, Celestia and two unfamiliar Pegasai mares entered. “Good morning. Should I ask?”

“We want to be here,” Honey said nervously.

“I want the massage to start immediately after you're done, Blackhoof.” Celestia tilted her head to one side. “Aren't you needed in Oceanside?”

“Not so far. What little work there is, the staff can manage, and I get reports. Gemstone wants details, and you know what she's like, I assume.”

“Oh, yes, I certainly do,” the Princess replied archly. “I presume you'll go back to Oceanside when this is done?”

“Yes, your Highness. The rest can be taken care of by almost anypony.” He moved to Verdigris' left wing. “Sorry about this, but it's going to hurt.”

“Don't worry, doc. I'll let you live.” Verdigris took a deep breath, then let it out. “Let's get it over with.”

“Oh, just a second,” Twilight said. She moved to the opposite side of the table, touched her horn to the wing and there was a quick flash. “I found the spell last night. It ought to help.”

“What is it?” Blackhoof asked as he set his equipment down, and she moved to the other wing.

“It won't stop the pain, but it should ease it some. It's used by the Guards for muscle cramps.”

“Thanks, Twi,” Verdigris said. “Okay, I guess I'm ready.”

“Okay. Grass, could you hold his wing? There's no way he'll hold it still.”

(((())))

Verdigris' Point of View

It hurt. I could feel every follicle when it was opened, and instead of being over, it built up as the soreness continued. I gritted my teeth, and tried to hold still, but Blackhoof was right. My wing seemed to have a mind of its own, trying to get away from the lancet, and then his hoof as he pressed down to expel what was inside. It didn't help that he had to test every one of my feathers, and sometimes pull one out.

After a while, Honey spelled Grass, who couldn't take it any more. The way my wing twisted and writhed to get away, the grunts and groans I couldn't hold back, and worst of all, the smell that would bother anypony. It was worse than last night, and I'm sure the blood didn't help. The feathers he removed weren't that well set, but they still bled when he yanked them out.

About halfway through, I heard somepony move near my head, and I opened my eyes to see Twilight there, looking at me, her eyes big. She touched her horn to mine, and I felt the pain ebb a little. I enjoyed the feeling, and then my eyes flew open as I noticed just how powerful she really was. I forgot all about the pain as I looked at her. She's the one. The Element of Magic. I knew it as though somepony had whispered it into my ear. I glanced at Celestia, and she nodded, her smile beatific.

I sighed, and enjoyed the lack of pain. Well, until I thought about it; then it started up again, just as bad. Twi wrapped her forelegs around my neck and murmured, “It'll be okay, Verdi. Just hang on.”

“I – Hnnng! – I will, Twi.” Blackhoof yanked out another feather, catching me off guard. I was seriously thinking about snapping his horn and breaking his hooves with a sledgehammer, then stabbing him in the spleen. Just to get his attention; I'd get mean later. The unpleasant thought continued until I heard him say, “Okay, that side's done. Ladies.” Oh, horse-apples. They were going to torture me while he started on the other side.

“Hey, it's all right. I'm right here,” Twilight said, distracting me. “I'm not going anywhere.”

“Neither am I,” Honey said, giving me a kiss as she passed. “You'll be okay.”

“I hope so.” They gave me a minute to get settled again, and then the fun continued.

The right wing wasn't quite as bad, but I think that was because the left was “drowning it out”. The antiseptic stung, then burned. The massage was painful at first; Celestia was right, the muscles needed work. She was also right that I wouldn't want to move my wings, let alone try to use them. Never again, I thought. I was going to do my level best never to end up like this again. I steeled myself as Blackhoof started on my secondaries, and Twilight never let go. Couldn't ask for a better friend, I thought.

(((())))

Celestia’s face never changed, but her eyes grew harder as the procedure continued. It was nigh-on impossible not to move to Verdigris' side and comfort him, but she'd have been in the way, and Twilight, Honey Bunch and Sea Grass had that covered. I'm sorry, god-son, but it has to be done, she thought. There's no other way.

Twilight had surprised her, but she was gratified that her student could have strong feelings for somepony besides her family, especially her brother Shining Armor. Surestrike had recommended him as Captain of the Guard; he had everything they needed. Celestia wasn't as sanguine, but took the recommendation seriously. If he was anything like his sister, they'd have no worries for some time.

Blackhoof straightened, took a calming breath and set his equipment aside after an interminable time, which was punctuated by Verdigris' groans, and Honey's or Grass' occasional whimpers of sympathy, and Twilight's gentle encouragement. “All done. I'll just get out of here and save my life.”

“It's okay, doc,” Verdigris said weakly. “I'm in no condition to hurt anypony, right now. Thanks. Now get the buck out of here.” Blackhoof gave Celestia a twisted smile, and shrugged as though saying, What can I say? He collected his equipment and left.

“How are you feeling?” she asked.

Ugh. Like somepony hit me with a cart-load of boards, then the boards one at a time, then ran me over with the cart.” He shifted, hissing with pain as the Pegasai continued their work. “I'm really gonna feel it tomorrow.”

Celestia stood, moved to his side and nuzzled him. She felt the work Twilight had done, and added some power, increasing its effect. “There. That should help. Try to sleep; the worst should be over in a few hours.”

“Okay. I'll try.” Verdigris was asleep almost as soon as his eyes closed.

“If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it,” Sparkle whispered, her eyes wide with surprise. “I’d heard pain could tire you out, but wow.” Her expression saddened. “I hope this is it, Princess. That was awful.”

Celestia glanced at the masseuses, one of whom nodded as she worked. “It will be, Twilight. To do the job of healing, you sometimes have to inflict some pain to get it right. That’s why doctors and nurses are so hard to find. Not everypony has that rare combination of compassion and harshness the job requires,” she said as she led the young mares out.

Tango cleared his throat and said, “A letter came from Oceanside, your Highness. I took the liberty of reading it while you were busy. It’s from Gemstone, asking about Verdigris, and … well, it has some bad news. The Pegasus he rescued succumbed to pneumonia last night. If he hadn't passed out, he wouldn't have breathed in the water that eventually killed him.” He was obviously ill-at-ease. “Verdigris’ going to blame himself for not getting to him sooner. You know that.”

Celestia lowered her head and sighed. “Not if we don't tell him right away. This isn't a good time – ” She stopped, squeezed her eyes shut to stop the tears, then continued, “There's never a good time for this kind of news. We'll wait until he’s up and walking, maybe until he’s flying again. Then he can get some ‘sky time’, as Michael puts it. He’ll need it.”

“I think I’m going to take a nap,” Grass said with a shudder. “I’m as worn out as he is. That was nerve-wracking.”

“Me too. Both,” Honey added, her voice subdued.

“Make it three,” Twilight said as she stifled a yawn. “I don’t think any of us should be alone. Come on. My bed’s big enough. It’ll be like a day-time sleep-over,” she finished with a wan smile that didn’t hide the unease in her eyes.

“An excellent idea, but you’re all coming with me,” Celestia countered. “I’m sure this affected us more than we like to think it did. Tango, when the masseuses leave, have Rigel watch him. I’ll be unavailable for most of the day; postpone all appointments except for official business, which I’m sure we don’t have.”

“Aye, Highness.”

“Come on, girls. I hear my bed calling.”

(((())))

Verdigris’ Point of View

I woke up later, and it was dark. Night had fallen, and the moon was up. I noticed there was a little more light than that, and I turned to look. Twilight was sitting in a chair, reading one of the books Celestia had given me to take home. From what I could see, it was the book about improving your innate abilities through magic, something like what I do by pushing myself through the air when flying, instead of flapping my wings. It’s a little easier and quieter, but it’s still tiring. I was getting better at it as I improved in power, and I wanted to get back to it. There was something that was nagging at me, something about breaking the sound barrier without going full-out in a dive. That was dangerous.

I laid there and watched her, and I think I understood how everypony was reacting to me. Such power at a young age. I remember reading something about a legendary Unicorn who had, after growing almost too powerful, became an Alicorn because of the stress. I didn’t think that would happen to her, but I was definitely reminded of that.

I shifted, and my wings throbbed so suddenly I groaned. Twilight was at my head almost instantly. “Easy, easy,” she said. “How are you feeling?”

“Did anypony see who was driving that cart?”

She giggled softly. “No, but we got a deal on lumber,” she replied. “I was wondering if you’d sleep all the way through.”

“How’s everypony else? I’m pretty sure what I was going through wasn’t easy to watch or listen to.”

“We all took a long nap after that. It was bad, Verdi. I don’t see how you got through it,” she said, gently brushing my mane out of my eyes.

“Am I okay to get up and move around? I’ve gotta go to the bathroom.”

“Just a minute.” She moved away, and I watched as she removed some cloth from between a few feathers on each wing. They had blood on them, but it looked dry. I shivered. It felt worse than it looked, from what I could see. “There. Just don’t move them too much.”

“Thanks, Twi.” I got up and carefully folded my wings, then went into the bathroom and took care of business. After that, I carefully spread each wing and took a look at each one in the mirror. The follicles looked good; Blackhoof and the masseuses knew their stuff. Something caught my eye, and I looked closer. I couldn’t be sure, but I thought I saw new primary and covert shafts sprouting already. I wondered about that, then shrugged. I’d find out more as time passed.

As I came out, Twilight was just thanking Rigel, who looked at me significantly as she left. Two trays of food were there; the one with sea bass obviously was mine. One thing most ponies don’t realize is there’s not a much more protein-packed food than fish, and it doesn’t have much fat. The bonus is, fish fats are actually good for ponies. It makes our coats shine, and slightly water-proof. It would be especially good for my feathers. Twi saw me and said, “Just in time. Come on. You must be starving.”

I was about to say I wasn’t, but my stomach made a lot of noise just as I opened my mouth. All I could do was stand there with a put-upon expression as Twilight laughed. I started chuckling, and shook my head as I walked to the table. “I guess I am. Oh, thank you. Brussels sprouts are my favorite.”

Bleah. I can’t stand them,” she replied as I started on the bass. “How can you eat that?”

“Not much grows near the ocean, Twi. You take what you can and make the best of it. And nopony’s ever been able to prove fish are sapient. They’re just animals. Whales and their smaller cousins, however, are as smart as ponies, maybe even more. I’ve seen them do amazing things while I was beach-combing.”

“Such as?”

“Oh, they watched me at first, then began bringing objects in. I don’t know if they thought of them as valuable, or just wanted the trash out of their ocean. Later, when I was swimming, we’d play tag, or they’d show me wrecks they couldn’t get to, but I could. They understood the implications of mine and Honey’s pendants, as far as I could tell.” I stopped and thought a moment. “There are stories about them helping ponies who were lost or in trouble, or fighting off sharks, until help came.”

“Wow. It’s too bad I can’t see that, but I’ve got my studies,” she replied reluctantly.

“What about vacations and long holidays? Oceanside’s not that far away, it’s just a slow train ride.”

“Well, I didn’t have a reason to visit until now,” she replied, blushing slightly.

I decided to have a little fun with her. “Aww, stop it, you’re embarrassing me,” I said, shifting my back hooves awkwardly, like I’d seen other ponies do when they find out somepony’s interested in them. She blushed more, and I laughed softly. “I’m joking. I appreciate it.”

“Well, the letter you got earlier mentioned that Sea Grass needs to go home, or she won’t graduate to Secondary, not just – ” She stopped so suddenly I knew it was bad news. I looked at her steadily; it gets ponies to open up faster than nagging. “The Pegasus you rescued died of pneumonia yesterday. He inhaled some sea water.” She looked at me sadly. “It’s not your fault, Verdi. You can’t do everything.”

She was right, but I didn’t feel any better. “I know, but that doesn’t help. Not until I find out there wasn’t anything else I could do, Twi. Saving lives is what the Patrol’s all about.”

“Well, your mom said your dad felt the same way, so it’s not just you. You’re being credited with saving the Comet. If you hadn’t seen the first signal, they might have never made it. That’s got to count for something.”

It did, but that one pony was going to haunt me for the rest of my life. I’d asked about that once, and every Patrol pony said about the same thing. The ones you couldn’t save stayed with you long after you forgot the ones you saved. I think Twi saw it on my face, because she put a hoof on mine and said, “Don’t let it bother you. You’ll be able to make up for it. The Princess told me about Sunblur.”

I nodded, and we resumed supper on a slightly better note. When we finished, I was suddenly tired again. “I’m gonna crash, Twi. I guess my wings are hungry.”

She giggled. “Okay. I’ll just finish this,” she said, waving a hoof at a stack of books that was as tall as she was. I smiled, nodded and went back to bed. I was out before my pillow warmed up.

(((())))

Verdigris woke early the next day, before the sun was up. He looked around to see moonlight streaming in through the windows, and got up to walk out onto the balcony. He looked up at the moon cautiously, but nothing happened. Hmm, not quite full. Maybe that’s what it takes for her to do things, he thought. Shrugging, he walked back inside to the bathroom.

After taking care of the usual business, he inspected his wings, and nodded to himself when he saw feathers coming in. Slowly, but they were there. Well, it’s visible, which means it’s actually fast. I might have my wings back in three weeks. Then the fun begins: I learn to use them again.

He shook his mane, then stepped into the shower. He wasn’t going to get back to sleep, not after yesterday. He shivered as he remembered the pain, then enjoyed the warmth of the water. After about a minute, he began scrubbing his coat and wings, then looked into the mirror at his mane. It needed evening-out, while his tail was slowly coming back. I’ll ask about that later. A little star-gazing and enjoying the night, then watching the sunrise should set me right. I still need my wings, though, he thought as he scrubbed his fetlocks. He snorted in amusement at the fashion sense in Canterlot. Why trim off signs of your age? It isn’t easy getting old enough, in some places. I mean, really.

After completing his shower, shaking off the water, and applying the follicle conditioning mix he’d found on the vanity to his wings, Verdigris walked out onto the balcony to enjoy the warm night air. It felt good, and he looked at the stars as he idly swung his wings to dry them. The moon was near the horizon, and he thought he felt Luna’s gaze upon him again. I guess I’ll find out what she’s really like, if she’s after me. I’ll have to try to keep her busy – No, I’ll have to do it. If Celestia’s trying to get the Elements back, that means Twi will need all the time I can buy her. He sighed. Now I think I know how uncle Mike works; in the background. He paused. If she’s serious about what she told me, Honey and Grass might be in danger. I have to talk to Celestia about this.

As he thought and looked, the eastern sky lightened, and the first rays shot over the horizon as the limb of the sun appeared. He squinted his eyes almost shut as he watched the solar orb climb. As it cleared the horizon, he thought, Good morning, god-mother.

A brief flash of surprise was followed by, Well, you’re up early. Couldn’t sleep any longer?

It’s like I slept all day, with breaks to eat. We need to talk after breakfast. I just thought of something.

There was a long pause. Yes, we do. It’s not hard to see your “talk” was bothering you. Private, or the Royal breakfast?

I’ll have breakfast here. I don’t think they need to see me with fewer feathers, or watch how carefully I have to move my wings, if I move them at all. You’re right, I don’t want to use them. I thought the lightning strike itself was bad, but this was a lot worse.

He felt her smile briefly. I’ll see you before Daytime Court begins. Until then, god-son.

(((())))

Celestia listened gravely as Verdigris related the conversation, and his later thoughts. She didn’t like it, and there was nothing she could do about it, not at the moment.

“I’m worried about Grass and Honey,” he said, shaking her out of her reverie. “If she’s serious, she won’t take any competition well, if at all.”

Celestia nodded. “I know. Luna never wavered from any goal when she set her mind to something. I still haven’t been able to figure out everything that was going through her mind; I probably never will. I never completely understood her; we were literally as different as day and night, including how our minds worked.”

Verdigris looked out the balcony doors, thinking. “So there’s no way to predict what she’ll do, other than go after me.” Celestia sighed and nodded. “Then that means I’ll have to keep her focused on me, so Twilight has time to find the Elements.” Her head snapped up, and she looked at him with near-shock. He smiled. “I got a glimpse of her power yesterday, god-Dam. She’s the Element of Magic, isn’t she?”

The Princess looked at him for a long moment, then nodded with a little smile. “And there are times I’m glad I miscalculated. Yes, it’s true. I was amazed at what she did when she came my School, and the depth of her power. I think you know why everypony reacts to you as they do, Verdigris. So much power at such a young age. I’ve sensed the other Element Bearers, and they’ll be ready when Twilight is. We only have the slim hope the seal doesn’t end before I can set things in motion.” Her gaze hardened, and he stepped back. “I don’t want you involved. I told you that.”

“I don’t have a choice. Luna’s fixed her sights on me; I think she did the first time I felt her. If – no, when she comes back, she’ll probably take you out first, like before.” Her eyes widened, and Verdigris continued, “I’ve been having odd dreams, like I was standing nearby. Blood memories, probably. She had you locked away, and all she had to do was threaten your ponies, right?” She didn’t move, and he nodded. “Yeah, I probably sound like her a little. It just takes a certain mind-set: An outsider; somepony you don’t understand, and don’t want to. Somepony who’s different, who doesn’t fit.” His eyes and voice hardened. “Somepony with power you can’t figure out. Somepony you shun and isolate, because your ignorance makes you afraid of them. Somepony like me,” he finished with a growl as his eyes glowed briefly.

Celestia released the breath she didn’t know she was holding and stared at him, her expression unreadable. “Yes,” she said in a half-awed voice. “All of it.” She stood, walked to him and looked into his eyes for a few minutes. “You understand her.”

He looked away. “And you’re worried that I might become like, or worse, join her,” he said, meeting her gaze. She didn’t move, and he could read what was there. “You know better, Celestia. Just because I could doesn’t mean I will. Uncle Mike’s right about destiny being about choice, not chance. You’ve got nothing to worry about. I’ll never become like her, and that’s why I have to keep her busy, maybe even fight her. It didn’t click until she ‘talked’ to me, and I did some thinking. Twi and the other Bearers need the time, and I’m going to do what I can to get it for them. Nopony else can stop her. What’s so hard about that?”

Celestia nuzzled him and murmured, “I’m afraid she might kill you. I couldn’t live with that.”

“I’m your greatest achievement, and she’s going to take and mold me into what she wants. That’s what she said. Another twist of the knife,” he said with a twisted smile.

I have to admit, he’s right. She’d do that, for her own selfish reasons and to punish me, she thought. Celestia looked at him, her estimation of and her pride in him rising another notch. “I’m sorry. I didn’t want any of this to happen, god – no, my son. You were meant to be whole, not have this dropped on you.”

“Horse apples. The universe doesn’t care what Goddesses want, either. It’s got its own agenda.”

She smiled. “Now you’re quoting Michael again.”

“Is he wrong?” Celestia shook her head sadly. “Look, I know you don’t like it, but I have to play the cards on the table. We’re going to have to keep her busy as long as we can. Equestria will be depending on all of us.” He gave another twisted smile. “That’s just another day for you.”

She looked at him, then sighed. “I know. All of it. I was hoping it wouldn’t come to that, but you’re right, we don’t have a choice.” She looked out the window resignedly. “That doesn’t mean I have to like it.” She shook herself. “Well, now that’s out of the way, what’s next on your agenda? I’m sure you’ve got cabin fever.”

“I do. I need to strengthen my wings, but it can’t be with the usual exercises.”

“I know. The pool near my spa. You can probably get enough resistance without any strain. And I know how much you liked swimming.”

“Is there anything you haven’t seen?”

“Nothing of consequence. Go on, Verdigris. I have Court in a few minutes; time to put on my game face.”

They nuzzled each other. “Try to have a good day, god-Dam.”

(((())))

Verdigris stopped by his rooms and asked Tango for directions to the pool, and the Guard offered to show him the way. “She still hasn’t rescinded her orders to watch you,” he replied. “I don’t think she told Rigel to stop, either.”

“That’s fine. As long as you stay out of my way, I don’t have a problem. Do I need to take anything?”

“No, towels and such are there. This is Celestia we’re talking about, and Luna wasn’t any different, from the rumors.”

“Rumor says I’m dead, in Oceanside,” Verdigris snarked. “Maybe I should disappoint them by showing up at the memorial service.” He shook his head. “Mom wouldn’t keep that from them. Neither would Grass.”

“So, she’s going back?” The Pegasus looked thoughtful as they descended another flight of stairs. “It’s not so bad, really. You’ve still got one here.” He smiled as he looked at Verdigris, and stumbled in surprise at how angry the Alicorn looked. “Okay, that was in bad taste.”

“No, seriously?” Verdigris sighed. “Look, I don’t want to have problems with either of them, and that includes spending more time with Honey or Grass at the other’s expense.”

“Dude, you need to lighten up. I’ve watched them for a while, and we’re pretty good judges of character. They really like each other, and they’ve talked about things I was sworn to secrecy about, on pain of pain. Death just didn’t cover it. They really love you, and they don’t have any problems that I could see. Now, any other mares, that could be a problem. I don’t know, and you learn to tune those conversations out, if you’re smart.” Tango nodded to the Unicorns on station near the pool as they entered. “You might want to talk to them about it, but they settled it. I think.”

They arrived pool-side and Tango pointed a hoof to the showers. “You know the rest. I’ll have Blaze stop by later. I’ve got to baby-sit a dignitary’s daughter.”

“That doesn’t sound so bad.”

“They’re Diamond Dogs. It’s bad.” Tango nodded and left as Verdigris walked to the showers.

After thoroughly soaking his coat and wings, he walked to the shallow end and carefully stepped down into the water, which was delightfully warm. He sighed. I should have known, he thought as he waded into deeper water. When it was even with his back, he carefully stretched out his wings, and moved them slowly as though flying. He tensed as he felt a pulling in his back muscles, but the stiffness went away. After a few minutes, he simply stepped off the slope and began swimming, with his wings helping him along. It’s not quite sky time, but it’s close enough. He rolled over onto his back and used his magic to push, keeping his wings straight. The reversed tension helped relieve a few knots. After a minute, he simply floated, his eyes closed and his head back. It was as comfortable as a cloud mattress, other than being wet, and the chance of drowning. That could be a problem, he thought, grinning.

A stray, unaccounted-for breeze tickled his nose, and he opened his eyes to see Rigel hovering above the pool, looking at him with what seemed to be disapproval. He looked at her and asked, “Is there a problem?”

“I’m just wondering what they see in you,” she replied, not sounding like a servant at all; Verdigris wondered how senior she was.

“What are you talking about?”

“Honey Bunch is staying here, while Sea Grass is going back. You’re going back when you’re in condition. Supposedly, you all talked it over and agreed, but I can’t see how you came up with that. Why not all of you stay?”

He rolled back upright and swam until his hooves touched bottom, then walked until he could sit withers-deep. He tapped a hoof on the pool deck nearby. “Okay, time for a little lesson,” he said. He waited until she settled on the deck, laying forward with her chin resting on her crossed forelegs, her eyes on him. The pose reminded him of Freewind. “Okay, what do you know about Coast towns?”

“I’ve never been outside Canterlot.” She looked at him curiously. “What are they like?”

“Okay, life there is tough. The sea is a huge collection of contradictions. It'll sustain you one moment, starve you the next or just kill you, depending on how careful and knowledgeable you are, and how well you learn and apply that knowledge. There’s no more beautiful a place to live when the weather is calm, and nothing more terrifying and awe-inspiring than one of the seasonal storms coming through. Not just anypony can live there. Generally, the families there are tough, no-nonsense, hard-nosed and practical ponies. Unfortunately, you won’t find a more insular, clannish, hide-bound, stuck-in-a-rut or unwilling to change group.” At her skeptical expression, he said, “Oh, did I mention superstitious? Bring all that together, and you get the attitude that nothing good comes from outside, and if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Ever. Have you heard the one that goes, ‘Was good enough fer daddy, and fer his daddy, and it’s good enough fer me’?” Rigel nodded uneasily. “I live in one of those places. What sets Oceanside apart is the ‘mares don’t matter’ attitude. Nopony in charge of anything is or will listen to a mare. They don’t think; it’s against their nature, and they shouldn’t think. Mares have a very defined set of duties, ordained and set in stone by Celestia: They’re suited for taking care of homes and children, and everything that goes with that, and that’s all. They’re not entitled to opinions, if they’re even bright enough to form them.” He looked at her steadily while her mouth dropped open in a mild form of stunned horror. “Yeah, that’s the crap we grew up with.

“I think you knew mom while she was here.” Rigel nodded. “Then came what happened to me three months after I was born, and what came from that. That’s me. Grass and Honey are a lot smarter than they let on; the three of us are routinely in the top ten in school. Honey’s the daughter of a ship-owner, which makes her something like Fancypants; Grass’ father is old, old Oceanside family, at least fifteen generations. They both have their problems, though. Honey’s being pushed to marry some dolt of a colt her dad picked, and she’s not part of the business, though she managed to save it from collapse a few years back.

“Grass has to stay within the family traditions, more than any other family demands. Her mother doesn’t like me, for the reasons I gave, and for something I don’t know about, and she won’t tell me. Being the oldest daughter, Grass has to be the “emergency” matron until her sister’s old enough, then be the matron of her family after she marries the right colt. It’s not me.

“If Honey goes back, it’s right back into that mess again, and Full Sail won’t leave her alone. She can’t go back, and she doesn’t want anypony but me; according to Celestia, we’re perfect for each other. Grass doesn’t want to figuratively and literally go nowhere. Neither wants to live without me.

“I’ve been isolated from Oceanside for the past eight and a half years, and part of that was my doing, so my folks would get visitors, and my sister’s friends would come over. But hey, it’s still home, and I do love the place. Some of the ponies are warming to me, and I’ve got a fairly decent business going, but I know I can’t stay forever, and Honey, Grass and I can’t be together while we’re there. Ever. Grass and Honey want to go to college, but that probably won’t happen. Oceanside despises education beyond a certain point. I’ve been lucky. Because they don’t want a thing to do with me, I can study what I want, and I can go about my business. But it’s lonely. It didn’t bother me until this year, and I don’t know why. Maybe it’s all coming together, and maybe it’s because you take a good look at your life when you come close to dying.

“So, Honey’s staying because going back would be the end. Grass is going back to finish Primary and eventually graduate Secondary school, then leaving because she can’t learn more. I’m going back because I can’t leave just yet. There are other reasons, but those are the ones that matter. We can’t be together like we want because we’re not old enough, either. So, we can all wait in Oceanside and go nuts with longing and worry, or we can be lonely but know it’s not forever. Compared to what we know, the second choice was a no-brainer.”

Verdigris swirled his wings through the water as Rigel lay there, digesting what he said. I think that’s the most he’s had to say at one sitting, and I can see why they keep it to themselves. Tough Coast ponies, indeed, she thought. Nopony else I know could live with that, as far as I know, but these three planned it out. Wow.

“So, what about Honey, or Grass and you? Are you going to torture yourselves that way?”

“We’re still not old enough, Rigel. The only good thing about Canterlot is Full Sail won’t try sending me to Stalliongrad, and Celestia won’t send me to the moon, but that doesn’t mean she’ll let it happen. So, we’ll just make do. It’s no big deal.”

“And I call shenanigans. Nopony can do that.”

Verdigris gave her a sour look. “Oh, you think we already have, huh? Not even. As for the rest, that’s none of your business.” He tilted his head to one side. “Why are you here, anyway?”

“Her Highness wanted somepony to keep an eye on you, and she’ll be down here after Court, probably in a few minutes. So, I’m here. Get used to it. She loves you very much, Verdigris. She doesn’t want anything to happen to you.”

“She takes the god-mother thing a little too seriously, but I understand why. Did she mention Sunblur?” Rigel nodded. “Then you know the whole story, or enough of it.” The door opened, and Celestia walked in, followed by the spa mares. “Oh, no, you get them away from me. They enjoyed themselves way too much,” he said. Rigel couldn’t tell if he was joking or not.

“Stop it, Verdigris,” the Princess replied. She stopped near the pool, and her regalia floated to a stand nearby. “You know it had to be done, and it had to be done right.” Instead of heading to the shower, Celestia levitated a large amount of water, which poured itself over her. When she was soaked, she walked down into the pool, sighing. “I always look forward to this.” She waded down to the deep end and stood there with her head just above the surface, letting the heat soak in. A few minutes passed, and she ducked her head below, disappearing from sight.

Rigel tensed. “I hate it when she does that. She’ll spend an hour down there, meditating, and I can never get rid of the idea that she’ll drown.”

“I think she’s way too old to be your foal, so stop treating her like one,” Verdigris replied as the Pegasai stepped into the pool after showering. “And no, I’m not interested. I’m just fine from yesterday.”

“Of course you are, Verdigris,” the teal-blue mare replied without a trace of sarcasm. “We were told, and we take pride in our work.”

“All right, but let me apologize right now if I keep my distance.” He turned back to Rigel and said, “Besides, a Goddess who can drown is a pretty sad goddess, right?” He smiled as Rigel laughed.

I heard that. “You were meant to.” More chuckling followed as Verdigris leaned back and allowed himself to float, letting his hooves drag on the bottom of the pool. And no pranking, he added silently. Uncle Mike will spank. He smiled when she replied, I certainly hope so.

He closed his eyes and let himself drift for a while, enjoying the warmth. The mares did little more than watch as they talked in low voices. He didn’t know when he fell asleep, but he found himself on an endless black plain that shined like polished onyx, reflecting the night sky’s glory. What the hay, and where am I?

“Thou art in the Realm of Dreams, where we hold sway,” a half-familiar voice said. He looked to see Luna/Nightmare standing a few yards away, her eyes glowing. “We are the Mistress of Dreams, as well as Monarch of the Night.”

“So, you’re here to try to convince me to join you? It won’t happen. Eternal Night doesn’t interest me, and even the most beautiful sight can become boring after long enough. Plus there’s the fact that it’ll get cold without the sun, and Equestria will freeze solid,” he replied, folding his wings across his chest. How’d I do that?

“Thou knowest nought of our power,” she replied, tossing her head haughtily in dismissal. “We can prevent the cold.”

“Plants need sunlight to grow, and then there’s finding your way around in the dark, never mind the critters from the Everfree will have a field day stalking and killing your less than enthusiastic subjects,” Verdigris continued doggedly, trying to punch through her half-baked ideas with logic.

“We can prevent such easily,” the Nightmare replied, anger beginning to tinge her words and voice. “We have the power to do anything.”

“Horse apples. You’re still stuck on the moon, aren’t you?”

“Only for a short period, now.” She walked forward to nuzzle him, but he stepped back out of reach. “Thou canst not escape us here, Verdigris. Wouldst thou fight? Is submission so demeaning?”

“I would, and it is when you assume I don’t already have anypony in my heart, or I’ll just toss them aside when you wiggle your flank at me,” he replied harshly. “Since I haven’t dealt with your kind of royalty, I don’t think it’s an honor to be chosen. I find it incredibly presumptuous of you, never mind childishly arrogant.”

She looked at him, her eyes changing to a poisonous shade of blue. “Thou wilt retract thy statement.”

“I’ll marry a Diamond Dog first.” He looked her over dispassionately. “You’re too skinny, black is so last season, that armor looks ridiculous, and your attitude stinks. I’m not just some toy you can play with when you’re bored, then toss aside when you’re bored with me. That’s the way of royalty, isn’t it, Princess?” he sneered.

Pain flared in his head as cold blue fire erupted around him. “Thou wilt suffer for thine impertinence.”

“I’m already hurting, and being in the same head with you isn’t doing me any good, either,” he grated. “I’m not going to be your toy-colt, and that’s the last word, Nightmare. Go away. I don’t want anything to do with you. You’re poison, plain and simple.”

“Then death ’twill be,” she said, raising a hoof and thrusting it forward, striking him in the chest, and knocking his breath out, causing it to stick in his throat. “Lest thou change thy mind, thy loves,” her voice twisted the word, “shalt find themselves alone, and in despair.” She walked closer. “Consider carefully.”

He choked out one word: “No.”

“So be it.” She leaned close, bared her fangs and sank them into his throat. The pain was combined fire and ice, and he screamed.

A blindingly-bright, searing light exploded around them, and Celestia’s voice bellowed, “FIGHT, VERDIGRIS! FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE, MY SON!”

(((())))

Rigel watched Verdigris as he drifted off, wondering how he was floating, until she saw his horn glowing slightly. She relaxed and watched, then her eyes widened in stunned surprise when he went rigid, his breath coming in choked gasps, his eyes opened wider than she’d thought possible. He let out a horrible groan, then stopped breathing. “Verdigris!” she shrieked in sudden terror.

Celestia erupted from the water at his side, her mane brighter than the sun, her eyes like twin stars as she lifted him from the water and laid him on the pool deck on his back. She covered his body with hers, looking into his eyes as her wings spread, and they were enveloped in pure white, soul-searing flame as she shouted, “FIGHT, VERDIGRIS! FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE, MY SON!”

He spasmed, then went limp as his breathing resumed. Celestia collapsed against him, holding him tightly as tears ran from her eyes while the mares watched in shocked awe. “Thank you,” she murmured almost inaudibly, looking into his eyes as they opened.

(((())))

The voice broke the spell, and he brutally slammed a hoof into the side of Nightmare’s head. She screamed, and he staggered back, shaking his head. His eyes glowed as he snarled, his power suddenly bloomed, and he transformed. Nightmare shook her head, and when her vision cleared, she saw him as he truly was. Power. Power contained in pony form, ready to break free. She stepped back, suddenly afraid.

“So, this is how it will be,” he said, his expression passing beyond anger into a deadly fury. “Then we are forever enemies, Nightmare Moon. When the time comes, we will contest, and only one will emerge victorious. I look forward to that day.” His horn glowed, becoming blinding, then a burst of greenish-white fire lanced out, striking her in the face. This time it was Nightmare’s turn to scream, and she seemed to tear into shreds of darkness, which fluttered away in the wind.

Verdigris stood there, panting, his wound ignored as he looked at the place where she’d stood. “Until then. I’ll be waiting.”

(((())))

Verdigris opened his eyes to see Celestia looking into them, her face a study in relief, tears running down her muzzle. He said, “She was – ”

“I know,” she replied softly as she nuzzled him. “We beat her, but it was mostly you, my son,” she added, startling the mares again. “But it’s not over, I’m afraid. She’ll be back, and I won’t be there to help you.”

“I’m not worried about that,” he replied. “I’m not going to worry about anything except how to keep her from chasing the Elements, Celestia. The longer I can keep her busy, the better their chances.”

Sshhhh. Enough. We have a few years to worry about that.” Verdigris seemed to just notice their position, and he blushed furiously. “Oh, yes, I suppose this is a little awkward, isn’t it?” She smiled, then stood, shook her mane into place, and offered him a hoof. He took it, struggling to stand. He seemed exhausted.

Ugh. Did that really happen?”

“Yes, it did. The Dream World can be just as real as the waking world.” She put out a wing to steady him. “What are you going to do?”

He looked out the windows, his face growing determined. “It’s time I stopped playing around and got strong again.” He turned back and nuzzled her. “Thank you, mother. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to talk to Surestrike. It’s time to get serious.”

Celestia nodded gravely and removed her wing from his back. “Then I’ll let you get to it, my son,” she murmured softly. He nodded and trotted out.

“Y-your Highness?” Rigel asked tentatively.

“Yes?”

“Is it true? Is he your son?”

Celestia closed her eyes, took a breath then opened them again to reveal a steely glint. “Yes he is, and I’m going to see to it he gets where he’s going. What else can a mother do?”

Author's Note:

A/N: The pranking was one of the few cartoonish segments I’ll do; it was impossible to resist.
Some questions answered, I hope, and no doubt I’ve raised a dozen more. Go ahead, ask. You’ll have to wait for the answers, though.

Acknowledgments: Doctor Horse is from the placeholder name from the MLP:FIM wiki. Yes, I’m doing him as House; I’m sure the similarity is intentional.