• Published 3rd Jul 2012
  • 3,256 Views, 286 Comments

Beauty Is Where You Find It - Verdigris



Celestia makes good on a long-ago promise, and everypony deals with the consequences.

  • ...
8
 286
 3,256

Growing Pains

Chapter 2

“I walk a lonely road, the only one that I have ever known. Don’t know where it goes, but it’s home to me and I walk alone.” – Green Day, Boulevard of Broken Dreams (American Idiot)

(((())))

Nearly seven months had passed since Verdigris’ illness. Celestia noted the date as she completed one last piece of minor but necessary legislation. I’m suspicious of this import duty the Griffin Kingdoms are levying, but I’ll agree to it. They may be shooting themselves in the paw; they can’t get the amount of fish they need locally, and this could reduce their supply. They may not be able to feed themselves. It’s not possible, unless they fish the lakes and rivers clean, and then they’re in a worse fix. Can’t they recognize that?

She sighed as she applied her signature and seal, and closed the scroll. Some ponies never learn; neither do some Griffins. After setting the scroll aside, she opened the letter from Gemstone. A few pictures fell out, and she caught them by reflex. A soft “Oohh” escaped as she smiled. Verdigris and a black kitten stood in nearly identical postures of fascination as they looked at each other, then the kitten was curled up on the colt’s back as he looked back over his shoulder, and finally, Verdigris was lying down, his head on his forelegs, with another five kittens curled up by his side. The joy in his eyes made her smile, but she felt a pang. She suspected it was because the kittens were the only creatures that would approach him. My poor, poor, colt.

She set the pictures aside, and read the letter.

(((())))

“Oh, that’s so adorable,” Gemstone said as she and Hawkfeather lounged in a hammock outside their house. Verdigris was nose to nose with one of the kittens that had been born recently, and had decided to explore. At first, the colt had been skittish, but curiosity overcame his nervousness. As they watched, the youngsters backed away from each other, both adopting identical straight-legged and arched-back stances of surprise and playfulness. “Oh, where’s the camera?”

“On the mantle, where you left it,” Hawkfeather replied as he watched kitten and foal stand there like statues, their eyes never wavering. It seemed they were waiting for some signal, and the play would begin.

The camera floated over, surrounded by a magenta glow, and Gemstone snapped a picture. The noise startled colt and kitten, and they danced to one side with stiff-legged, playful grace. After a moment, Verdigris leapt back, turned and “retreated”, bounding high as the other five kittens joined their sibling in hot pursuit. After a few seconds, they reversed roles, and the kittens fled with Verdigris “dancing” so he wouldn’t over-run them. He stopped in consternation as they skittered up a tree, leaving him below with an expression that plainly said, How'd they do that?

Hawkfeather laughed softly. He couldn’t help it. Gemstone half-heartedly slapped at him with her hoof. “It’s not funny,” she said, trying to stifle her own chuckling.

“Oh, yes it is. I wonder if you or I had that look on our faces.” She giggled as their colt dropped flat on the ground and planted his hooves under his head as he looked up. His focused expression said he was thinking the situation over carefully. He laid there, still as a stone.

The tableau broke as one of the kittens – the black one he’d been nose-to-nose with – suddenly dangled from the branch, crying piteously for help. He lost his hold and fell – only to be caught in a greenish-grey glow as Verdigris’ horn lit. The kitten struggled briefly as he floated down to land gently on the colt’s back. After a few seconds, the kitten nuzzled his rescuer, and curled up in the hollow of Verdigris’ shoulders as the colt watched. The camera clicked again. Verdigris carefully laid down on his belly, his head stretched forward atop his forelegs. Shortly after that, the entire litter scampered over, settled down by his side, yawned and curled up to rest. The joy in the colt’s eyes was plain to see. Another picture was taken.

Hawkfeather looked at Gemstone when she sniffled. “It’s too bad the other foals wouldn’t accept him,” she said.

“That wasn’t it,” he replied, anger creeping into his voice. “Their parents didn’t want him near them, Nightmare take them.” Gemstone sighed. “And what they did to you wasn’t right by any meaning of the word.”

“The shop wasn’t doing that well to begin with. I get more business through mail-order and consulting, so I’m taking Breeze’s offer. We could use the bits, and we’re not hurting. If they don’t want him in their pre-school, I’ll teach him myself; I still have my certification. What they call curriculum here is laughable, Hawk. Just enough to get by in this place, not the outside world. And they make learning an unpleasant chore. It should be fun. That way the lessons take. I don’t understand how they can function.”

“Well, I didn’t do too badly, but you’re right. I don’t want him stuck here, either. It’s not too much to ask for your children do better than you did, is it?” He rubbed her belly. “Speaking of, how long?”

She nuzzled him as she sighed. “About four months. Verdigris won’t be alone; he’ll have a sister, soon.” Her ears turned back. “She’d better not get the same treatment, or I’ll bring the County down on them. I was ready for Verdigris to go through this, but it won’t happen to her.”

Hawkfeather looked at her. “Her? A daughter? Oh, does that mean I’ll have to tune up my crossbow?” he asked with over-done eagerness.

Gemstone chuckled. “Not for a while.” She looked at her son. “I guess we can start tomorrow. We’re going to be busy.”

(((())))

… I don’t pretend to understand the ponies here, but even knowing what I know, it still seems like outright meanness on their part. But, as you said when I left, nothing worth having is easy, or free. Thanks for that advice, your Highness. I’ll treasure it forever.

Sincerely, Gemstone


Celestia sighed as she put the letter back in its envelope. Yes, it certainly seemed like mean-spiritedness on the Oceanside ponies’ part, but they were simple farmers and fishers. The ponies of the land. The common clay of Equestria. You know, morons. She shook her head with a wry smile. Michael, I’m going to punish you for that, she thought. That was mean. Funny, but mean.

“If that’s what you want, Celestia, here I am.” The voice made her jump to her hooves, and there was an amused snort. “Well, I can still surprise you. I feel better.”

Celestia glared at the shadowed alcove. “Very funny, Michael. Come out where I can see you.”

“As you wish.” A tall, black Alicorn walked out slowly, his cerulean eyes amused. His coat had silver flecks in it, his mane and tail were streaked with silver, and she could just see the wide silver band near the tips of his wing primaries. His cutie-mark was a silver outline of a howling wolf with stars inside it, and he wore a glossy black pectoral with silver edging, and matching shoes. He bowed. “Do your worst.” He scowled at himself. “Although this is punishment enough. I’m bloody cute. Old stallions and foals are cute.”

Celestia glared, but didn’t hold it long; she couldn’t help giggling. She trotted over, nuzzled and wrapped him in her wings with a contented sigh. “Why are you here? I wasn’t actually asking you to come. I was just annoyed.”

“No, really?” he asked in the accent that matched Trottingham’s. He gently disengaged from her and stood back. “Well, truth be told, my Lady informed me that you needed my help.”

Celestia tilted her head to one side curiously, then smiled. “She still does that? I thought you didn’t need anyone or anypony’s prodding any more.”

He snorted. “Right. She’s still essentially my mother, and you don’t ignore Her. You don’t ignore any Power. Why don’t you ask Sean about that?”

“You’ve met him?” He nodded. “And?”

He shook his head with a smile. “That silly, silly boy. You chose well, even if it doesn’t appear that way. He’s a good one.”

“I’d be lying if I said it isn’t good to see you, and I could use your help. Please, sit down.” They walked to the table near the balcony, and Celestia rang for tea. “I’ll tell you while we’re waiting.”

Michael nodded, and she launched into the story, not only of Verdigris, but of Sunblur. His eyes lit with sympathy and understanding. When she finished, he sighed. “That sounds very familiar. A friend who is no longer with us went through similar; his parents were different species, and – well, I suspect Verdigris might come out of it the same way.” He cocked his head to one side as he thought. “Although, since your blood was used, perhaps not.”

“Is he dead?”

“No, or I don’t believe so. He went missing whilst trying to save others. My one, final link to the past is gone. I do hope he’s all right.” A knock on the door made him look at her apprehensively. “They can’t know I’m here.”

“Nopony knows who you are, and I don’t have to explain myself. Sometimes it’s good to be the Princess.” She smiled as he winced. “Consider that a token punishment. Come in!” A blue-white Pegasus mare walked in, balancing a tray on her back and wings. “Thank you, Rigel. I’ve got it from here.”

“No, allow me.” The tray was surrounded by a blue aura and floated to the table as Surestrike walked in, his eyes glittering with suspicion.

“It’s all right, Surestrike. Come in and join us. We’re discussing Verdigris, and I’d like your input.” The Guard nodded, his eyes lit with curiosity. “Thank you, Rigel. You may go.” The mare bowed and left. Michael groaned as he saw her cutie mark, which was the constellation Orion, one of its stars very prominent. “Is there a problem?”

“Oh, no, of course not. Harry Dresden was right. Coming here is akin to falling into a Xanth book,” the stallion growled. “If she has a sister named Bellatrix, I’ll know how it feels to go mad.”

Surestrike favored him with a long, measuring stare. “I’m missing something.”

Michael snorted. “No, not really. It’s not important. Oh, where are my manners?” He stood and held out his hoof. “I’m known as Nightwolf.”

Surestrike took and shook it. “Surestrike.” Nightwolf flinched, muttering something about “bloody D&D references” as they sat.

“That’s enough,” Celestia said, giving him a mild glare as she poured. “Now that I’ve had a chance to think, I want you to go to Oceanside and study Verdigris and his total situation. If he needs help, please give it. If not, watch him for about two weeks, then give me your honest opinion. I’m trying not to interfere, but it’s not easy. None of us are perfect.”

Nightwolf gave her an assessing look, then sighed as he nodded. “Too right.” His tone gave Surestrike the impression he knew from experience. “Right. What can you tell me about Verdigris’ life?” he asked, turning to the Guard.

“Not so much about him, but what he has to live with.” Surestrike told him about the seaside villages that dotted Equestria’s coasts, both in general, and then specifically about Cape Colt. The ponies, the environment, the attitudes and so on. He watched the Princess’ guest as he did, and the stallion winced more than once. After he finished, Surestrike said, “I see you understand, at least in part.”

“I’ve been in his place more than once. Poor lad.” He looked at Celestia. “He does remind me of my friend.” He tilted his head, then asked, “You’re certain he’s Sunblur?”

“Absolutely.”

Nightwolf pondered as he sipped his tea. “Yes, I’ll go. He, my friend and I are kindred spirits of a sort, which doesn’t help. We’re unique. Curiosities.” He scowled, but there was a tragic sadness in it. Finally, he said, almost too softly to hear, “Freaks.”

“No, I won’t ever believe that,” Celestia replied firmly. “Like you say, there’s always more beneath the surface. I want you to see what I saw, and I want your true thoughts. I want to plan for the future, and not be unpleasantly surprised.”

He nodded. “Yes, you’re quite right.” Another amused snort. “Why is it I always find myself in the centre of these little dramas?”

“Because it’s your nature.”

He flinched, then smiled. “How well you know me.” He finished his tea, then stood up. “I’d like to get started now, whilst this is still fresh. By your leave, Highness?” She nodded. “I’ll see you when I see you, if I can. If not, I’ll send a message; I never know when I have to leave.”

“Be sure you do your research,” Celestia reminded him. And get your story straight, she added silently.

“Of course,” Nightwolf replied with a knowing smile. He bowed and walked to the balcony, his coat and wings changing from black to medium brown, his mane and tail to silver-shot dark brown and the wing-banding to black as his horn disappeared. He reached the balcony and leapt off, saying happily, “Ah, sky time!” as he vanished from view.

Surestrike watched the opening for a few seconds, then looked at Celestia for an explanation. “He’s a friend, from elsewhere,” she replied cryptically.

“He seemed more than just a friend,” the Pegasus replied quietly.

The Princess sighed. “He is, and I know you want to know more about him, but that will have to wait. I have to prepare for the Mayor of Stalliongrad’s visit.” She smiled sadly. “At least Verdigris wasn’t born there.”

“I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy – well, only my worst.”

(((())))

Hawkfeather stood on the bluff, looking out to sea as the light faded under leaden skies. He had the evening duty today, watching for ships that might be in trouble. While Pegasai had weather magic, the storms that brewed up and raged on the sea were outside their reach and control, and had to be watched. Sometimes a ship would be blown onto the shoals, run aground and either sink or be stranded. It was his and the other Patrol ponies’ duty to rescue the crew and any passengers, and if possible, cargo. The main rule was lives were saved first, then property. Some ponies over the years had had a problem with that idea, but were usually quelled when a Patrol pony asked, “And would you say that if your family was aboard?” Nopony wanted to think about that. Ever.

“Hawkfeather?” a voice asked from above, a few seconds before he heard hooves touch down. He turned to see a tall, medium-brown Pegasus walk to stand by his side. He had a dark mane and tail, and his cutie mark was of a black wolf’s silhouette. As he furled his wings, Hawkfeather noticed the black banding. He carried a pair of large, black saddlebags.

He studied the new arrival, then said, “Yes. Who are you, and who sent you?”

“My name’s Blackwolf, and the Princess sent me. She wanted me to look in on Verdigris and report back. She wanted another view, though she loved the letter she received.”

Hawkfeather nodded. “How is the Princess?”

“The same, of course, but she’s taken special interest in the lad,” Blackwolf replied. “You should see her; I’ve not see her so happy in some time.”

“I see. Did she tell you?” His companion nodded. “How long will you be here?”

“Two weeks at most. Enough time to get a feel for him, and this place.” Blackwolf looked back at Oceanside briefly. “Yes, it has a familiar feel. I think I have an idea, but one must study to get the correct information.” He looked out to sea, standing as still as the Patrol pony, taking a deep breath, and sighing it out. “Ahh, I’ve always loved the shoreline. The air seems so much cleaner.”

“How should I explain your presence? The town Council will ask, as will the Magistrate.”

“I’m an inspector for the Patrol and Guards, and I’ll be assessing Oceanside before moving on. I have the proper documentation.”

Hawkfeather smiled. “She never misses anything. That should work. When do you want to appear?”

“Tomorrow is soon enough.”

Hawkfeather nodded. “I’ll be relieved fairly soon, and would you please stay with us? If you want to learn about him, it couldn’t hurt. And you could tell us about the Princess. Gemstone was her student.”

“I’d be honoured, and I’d appreciate it. And yes, I’d like to see him. He can’t have had an easy time.”

“Well, I can tell you some of it. The foals haven’t started on him, but that was because their parents wouldn’t have him in the school. Some nonsense about him being contagious. Stupid. So Gemstone will be teaching him what he needs to know, and anything else she thinks will help. I’ll teach him how to fight. I can’t see any other way. There’s one foal who I’d swear was born mean, and he’s a bully. I don’t want my son having to deal with that until he can at least defend himself.” Hawkfeather’s ears flattened. “And if that’s how it’s going to be, then I want him to come out on top. He won’t start the fight, but he’ll be the last colt standing.”

“Yes. A friend of mine’s sire once said, ‘Never start a fight, but always finish it’,” Blackwolf replied. “I’ve some experience in fighting, and, with your permission, I’d like to teach him. He may as well have every advantage, as it seems he’ll have every hoof against him. That’s neither fair, nor right.” He snorted. “And since the Patrol is equivalent to the Guard, it should stop there. Last I knew, attacking a Guard for any reason isn’t exactly legal.”

“The Magistrate might argue that one,” Hawkfeather replied angrily. “He’s stood by while his colt Bluestreak and his gang played their little tricks. I have to wonder how much he paid to get the position; he sure wasn’t qualified to earn it.”

“Oh, really? Perhaps I’ll look into that as well. Celestia wanted Verdigris’ total situation; perhaps there will be a few changes that are long over-due.” His voice was steady and pleasant, but there was an undertone that made Hawkfeather shiver. “If they wish to play that game, they’d best be good at it.”

“Well, since you’re going to play the part, what can you tell me about yon storm?”

Blackwolf spread his wings, feeling the wind as he sniffed at the air. “Fifteen knot wind, gusting to twenty. The air’s a bit dry, which means we’re on the storm’s flank; it’s turning out to sea. We should have fair skies by noon, ten at the earliest.” He closed his eyes and concentrated. “Two days of perfect weather.” He looked at Hawkfeather, his eyes glinting with amusement. “Do I pass muster?” he asked as he folded his wings.

“You’ll do. I had to wait an hour to get the same, and to be sure.” Hawkfeather inspected his guest. “I can’t say why, but there’s something about you, Blackwolf. I met her Highness at my graduation, and you seem to be of her kind.”

“I can’t say, other than you’re close. She and the one who commands me are peers.”

“That’s fine. I don’t need to know any more.” They resumed their vigil, standing motionless, except for their eyes.

A half-hour later, Cloud Tosser arrived. The blue-grey stallion dropped from the sky almost vertically, as he usually did. “Hawk,” he said in greeting. He looked at Blackwolf curiously. “I haven’t seen you before.”

“This is Blackwolf. He’s from the Patrol’s office, inspecting.”

“Wouldn’t mind seeing some proof.”

Blackwolf opened a saddlebag and removed the documentation he’d researched, and let the new arrival see the pectoral and shoes of office. “It’s all here. I prefer to arrive unannounced. I can get a real look at how things are.”

Cloud looked the parchment over. “Everything’s in order. Good to have you here. We’ve been having problems getting some equipment and supplies we need. Somepony seems to be intercepting our requests, Blackwolf.”

“Call me Wolf. It’s easier. I’ll look into that. Her Highness was wondering; I was told you’re a season behind,” Blackwolf replied as he removed a parchment and quill, and noted the information. Paper-work, paper-work, paper-work... he thought.

“Good, and good to have you here. I relieve you, Hawk.”

“I stand relieved, Cloud. See you.” Hawkfeather didn’t bother to fly; his house was fairly close, and they’d have time to go over Wolf’s story. It wouldn’t hurt to get to know his guest, and hear about the Princess.

(((())))

“I’m very pleased to meet you,” Gemstone said as Wolf and her husband shook their manes into place; the wind always made them look like unmade beds. “How is Princess Celestia?”

“She’s well. Going through her duties as always, and wishing somepony would think before they brought up the same proposals she rejected the previous year,” Wolf replied with a smile as he hung up his bags. He looked around, liking what he saw. The house wasn’t anything fancy; it was plain, practical and functional, much like the ponies in this area. He could see Verdigris peeking around the doorway to the back of the house, but "failed" to notice him as he looked. “Very nice. I can see you haven’t been idle. The work is quite good.”

“We do like to do a good job,” Hawkfeather replied. He looked to see his son watching, his face lit with curiosity. “Come on, Verdigris. Come out and say hello.” The colt walked in calmly, his eyes on the stranger. “This is Blackwolf. He’s here from Canterlot. The Princess sent him to look around and report to her.”

“You know god-Dam Celestia?” the colt asked. Michael kept from laughing; he understood the terms, and knew the older ones would still be used this far from the capital, but it was still funny. If only they knew. He nodded, and the colt said, “Is she really as pretty as some ponies say?”

“I don’t know what they say about her, and that’s one thing I’m here to learn,” Wolf replied, looking at the colt’s serious eyes. That serious at his age. He probably knows something. “I can say she’s pretty enough for me.”

Verdigris smiled briefly. “Good. You can’t believe everything you hear.”

“Supper will be on soon, so take a little time to rest,” Gemstone said as she trotted away.

Wolf took the indicated chair, and Verdigris parked on the rug nearby. “What can I do for you?”

“Why don’t you look right? You should be black, and have a horn.” Blackwolf and Hawkfeather looked at him curiously.

“You can see that?” Blackwolf asked. The colt nodded. “Hmm, that’s interesting. Well, sometimes I have to go out and I don’t want anypony to recognise me, so I have to use disguise magic. That way I don’t have to worry about hearing the truth when I wish to.” He scowled. “Some ponies are afraid the truth isn’t what somepony else wants to hear.”

Verdigris said bluntly, “That’s just dumb.”

Blackwolf and Hawkfeather chuckled. “That it is, lad.” I like him already. Speaks his mind, and doesn’t pull his bucks, Blackwolf thought. Could get him into trouble, but considering all else, what won’t?

“How long are you gonna stay?”

“A week or two. After that, I don’t know.” Blackwolf looked at the colt frankly. “You’d like me to stay longer?”

“It’s not like I have any friends,” Verdigris said on the verge of petulance. “They don’t like me, and I don’t know why.”

Blackwolf looked at Hawkfeather, who nodded. “It’s like this, Verdigris: You’re unique. That is, you’re not like anypony else. When Celestia saved your life, it changed you. You’re not an Earth pony or a Pegasus or a Unicorn; you’re an Alicorn, like her. That’s rare enough, but you’re also a colt, and your colour isn’t like any other pony anywhere, that I’ve ever heard. I know what that’s like. I’m not like anypony else, either,” he said as he spread his wings just enough to show the banding. “Some ponies are afraid of what they don’t understand, and some can’t deal with something out of the ordinary. So they stay away because they’re afraid, and it’s sad to say they don’t want to understand. Small towns like this one are worse because everypony knows everypony else, and they know what’s going on not long after it happens. For some, change isn’t bad, but they don’t like it. They like being able to know what’s going to happen, and anything or anypony different shows them nothing stays the same, not forever. They like being able to predict what’s going to happen, and, well, ponies like you and I tell them they can’t. So they shut us out, and they tend to lash out at what bothers them. I’ve been in my share of fights because of that.”

“I’m gonna get into fights, aren’t I?”

Blackwolf sighed. He hated telling Verdigris the raw truth, but he owed the colt that much. He’d learn it anyway, and it was better he knew it all now, instead of getting it beaten into him. “Yes, you are. Being different isn’t wrong, but some ponies think it is, and they’ll punish you for it, even if it’s not your fault."

“Dad said he’d teach me, but he’s gonna be on duty a lot during the storm season,” Verdigris said. “Can you teach me when he’s busy? Please?”

Good heavens, he’s got the “puppy-eyes” down pat, Blackwolf thought. I can’t refuse. “I will, lad,” he said gently. “Perhaps I can be assigned here for a while; it’s not as though I’m needed in Canterlot.”

“Oh, what’s Canterlot like?” Verdigris asked, his ears turning forward eagerly.

I can see I’ve let myself in for a lot of talks. Well, why not? He’s such a wonderful, engaging lad. “Well, imagine this town, but blown up about fifty times as big...”

(((())))

“Delicious,” Wolf said as he finished his salad. He was surprised the ponies out here ate fish, but it made sense. There wasn’t much they could grow here, and they made their living from the sea. Certain levels of … squeamishness had to be suppressed or ignored. It actually made him feel better.

“Thank you,” Gemstone said with a smile. “I could guess, though. You had two helpings.”

“It’s a long way from Canterlot, and the food along the way isn’t always what you’d choose,” he replied as he helped clear the table, ignoring his hosts’ protests. “And, truth be told, the simple pleasures are the best. We often forget that in the Capital. That’s why I don’t mind these assignments; I’m pleasantly reminded of that.” His smile faded. “And there are other things we seldom hear of.”

“Does her Highness know?” Hawk asked, nodding toward the living room, where Verdigris worked on the lessons Gemstone had prepared, and the school’s principal had approved.

“Only what you’ve told her, and what she can surmise herself. That’s the real reason I‘m here,” Wolf replied. “She doesn’t want to interfere, nor does she want unpleasant surprises, but she wants the truth, and she’ll get it. All of it.”

The pair winced as the dishes were cleaned. “She won’t like it. She was only here for the day,” Gemstone said. “Was it really what she said? Sunblur, Firelance and Freewind?”

Wolf nodded. “It was,” he replied soberly. “She was and is still bound and determined to rectify that mistake. She never meant to cause harm, let alone their deaths. It still affects her, as does banishing Luna. She’s wondered ever since – both times – if there wasn’t anything she could have done differently to prevent what happened. She blames herself, and she’s right, there probably was, but what’s done is done. Learn from what you did, move on and see to it you don’t repeat it, ever again. It’s all anypony can do.”

“Sounds like you’ve been there,” Hawk commented as he put the dishes away. “More than once. I know a few Patrol ponies who sound the same.”

“I’ve been there, more times than I can sometimes stand to remember. I’ve made my share of mistakes that came back to bite me later, and I only learned afterwards I could have prevented it, but I never thought – ” He stopped, stood perfectly still and closed his eyes. His breathing grew slightly ragged as he seemed to forcefully shove the memories away. “I never thought it wasn’t anything but over, each time,” he finished, speaking almost too softly to hear. “That made it worse. I knew better, but didn’t want to go through what I’d have had to do. I was tired of fighting. That’s one reason I’m here; it seldom happens in Equestria, and perhaps I can regain my balance.”

“Uncle Wolf?” They turned to see Verdigris watching, his eyes wide and sad, but filled with compassion. “Are you okay?”

He leaned down and patted the colt’s back with a wing. “I will be, lad. I think that’s another reason I’m here, and the Princess knew it. I can put my problems aside. They’re not that bad.”

“Horse apples.”

“Verdigris!” Gemstone scolded.

“No, he’s right, and I’m not offended. Sometimes a clout in the head is the only thing that will get through,” Wolf countered. “And I deserved it. I refuse to feel sorry for myself. It doesn’t help anything.”

“It doesn’t? Then why do some ponies do it?”

“If it’s out loud, they’re after attention and sympathy. Bleeding attention-hounds,” Wolf replied as they retired to the sitting room with coffee. “They’re basically confirming that they can manipulate others. I can’t bloody stand them, because they bewail the smallest problems into disasters whilst those with real problems are ignored, or at least drowned out.”

“No, that’s dumb,” Verdigris said. “When can we start?”

“After your lessons for the day.” He held up a hoof, and the colt stopped his protest. “You may have to fight, but to get along outside Oceanside, you’ll need a proper education. That can’t be changed, and I’d like to believe you don’t want to stay here all your life. Admittedly, it’s a good town, but I’ve no doubt in my mind you’ll grow tired of the place and the ponies.” Wolf sighed. “I’ve been in the same boat, Verdigris, and I left as soon as I could. Towns like this will stifle you, if you let them. It’s just how the world works.”

“I had to be sure.”

“Right, then.” He looked at the clock. “I’ll need to retire. I’ve a report to write, I’ve been busy all day, and it’s a long trip,” he finished before stifling a yawn.

“I’ll show you to your room,” Hawk said. “Say good night, Verdigris.”

“Good night, Uncle Wolf.” He paused. “You don’t mind if I call you that?”

I’d prefer ‘Uncle Mike’, but that can wait until I can reveal myself. If ever. “Not at all. I rather like it. Good night, Verdigris.”

He followed Hawkfeather to the small room after collecting his saddlebags. “Yes, this is better than I was expecting. Thank you.”

“Good night. We’ll try not to wake you.”

“The same here. I’ve always been an early riser; the sunrise isn’t to be missed. Good night.”

After the door closed, he unpacked the bags and put his belongings away. When that was done, he took out quill, ink and parchment, and began composing his first letter to the Princess as he resumed his previous appearance. No, they can’t see me this way. Alicorns are rare enough, and I don’t need to be that memorable, he thought. Too bad Equestria’s rules work as they do. I’d rather use magic as a Pegasus. Ah, well, if wishes were trees, trees would be falling.

The quill hovered, then began moving across the page as he related what he’d learned.

(((())))

For the first time since banishing Luna, Celestia wasn’t dining alone. Surestrike had become more comfortable in his role as one of her personal Guard. Blackwing had adjusted a little quicker, and had volunteered as her private messenger, as well. He was on leave, after returning the signed and sealed scroll to the Kingdoms.

“And that’s when I told Blueblood I wouldn’t stop him from behaving as he does, but I wouldn’t protect him from the consequences,” the Princess finished. Surestrike had asked why the Prince behaved as he did, and why she didn’t interfere with what he had coming. “Some ponies never learn.”

“No, they don’t,” he agreed. He was still slightly uncomfortable, but Celestia had opened up more, and would reminisce and tell stories, and he found there was plenty to learn. “Speaking of that, I wonder how Nightwolf is doing in Oceanside. He has to be there by now.”

“His real name is Michael, and I don’t doubt we’ll hear from him soon. He’s as duty-struck as you are,” she replied, smiling to take the sting out of her words. “I’m not criticizing, but we can leave the formality outside. I’d prefer to be friends, Surestrike. We know where the lines are, but they’re not cages, and I’m sure you don’t mind being able to ‘un-bend’.”

“I understand, but I’m fighting against years of training, your Highness.” She stared at him pointedly. “Sorry. Celestia. I’m worried I’ll lose my edge, or behave inappropriately in public.”

“That never happens. I choose my personal Guards very carefully. You won’t make any mistakes.”

“That’s a relief, but I can’t be sure.” He stopped and stared as a streak of flame came in through the open balcony door, stopped in front of Celestia and – Pop! – changed into a scroll that dropped neatly beside her plate; it was held shut a ribbon that had a metal Wolf pin. “It appears he’s settled in. Nopony sends messages until they are.”

The Princess set her fork down and opened the message. “Let’s see.” Celestia read it, her expression neutral.

My Very Dear Celestia,

I’ve reached Oceanside and I’ll be studying the place tomorrow. At the moment, I’m a guest of Hawkfeather and Gemstone, and I’ve met Verdigris. I like the lad. He reminds me more than ever of my friend with his seriousness; however, he’s still a young colt, and I’ll enjoy this assignment more than I thought I would. He’s asked me to train him when Hawk is unavailable, and I’ll be supplementing his education; Gemstone is a wonderful teacher, but she can’t teach what she doesn’t know. I’d like to stay beyond the time we discussed, if possible. I may have to leave – as you and I well know – but I’ll come back. Verdigris is, as you said, somepony special, and deserves his chance.

However, I’ve learned something is very rotten in Denmark, as it were. Routine requests from the local Patrol haven’t reached their destination, and I’ve heard a few unpleasant things about the Magistrate, both of which I shall look into. I can’t say for certain, but it may be that a replacement is necessary. Either way, I will know more tomorrow when I officially appear. I’m afraid I’ll be making some ponies very unhappy, but I know how you are about your charges’ safety and happiness. I shan’t go beyond what’s necessary, but I’ll do what’s best for Oceanside and its inhabitants, to the best of my ability. Have you known me to do aught else?

I’ll keep you apprised of everything, as you requested. Know that I will exercise proper diligence, for you, Oceanside and Verdigris.

Your good friend and confidant,

Michael, AKA Blackwolf


Celestia smiled as she finished reading. I know he wants to use the Archaic Mode, but it’s good to read proper Equestrian. Maybe I’ll – no, re-introducing him to Luna might be a problem. When we get there, if we get there, she thought. She passed the letter to Surestrike and returned to her meal, her eyes misty.

Surestrike read the message, and nodded to himself. He does tend to lay it on, but it’s short and to the point, he thought. He frowned as he read the second part. Who would be doing that, and why? Somepony will have to look into that.

He looked up at Celestia, who seemed lost in thought. “What are you thinking?” he asked.

“Michael is going to kick open an ant hill, I’d say. He’s known for that. Everything I’ve heard about him says he will.”

“And you’re not going to stop him, probably back him up.” The Princess nodded, her expression stony. “I don’t blame you. The Coast isn’t the safe place vacationing ponies think it is, but I don’t think I’m telling you anything you don’t already know. Ships still get blown into shore. Pegasai can’t control the storms; they’re too big and too far away, and when they reach the shore, they’re far too powerful.” Surestrike looked out the balcony door. “I miss it, a little. I wouldn’t mind retiring out there, either. Former Guards make good Patrol ponies.”

Celestia smiled as she watched him. “If you’re volunteering, you have my blessing, Surestrike.”

He blushed slightly. “That’s a few years away, yet, but it’s something to think about.”

(((())))

For Verdigris, the two weeks Blackwolf shared with him were the best of his life. It would be some time until he could say that again.

He was secretly delighted when he heard of his “uncle” taking Magistrate Breakwater and his cronies down a peg. Bluestreak had made it clear to other ponies he could do what he wanted, and nothing could stop him because his father ran things in Oceanside. When Hawkfeather told Blackwolf about that, things began to happen.

Blackwolf had, after appearing for a surprise inspection, asked where the official Patrol messages were. When he didn’t get an answer, he searched and found them, and told Breakwater in no uncertain terms law enforcement was not the Guard’s job, but his and the Constabulary’s, and under no circumstances did he have control of the Patrol, its personnel or its resources. He reminded the Magistrate he wasn’t in charge of the Equestrian military in any way, citing the Posse Comitatus Act, and if he couldn’t do the job, he’d send for someone who not only could, but would. That hadn’t sat well, but Breakwater had to admit the Inspector was correct. The messages were sent post-haste by messenger, but one of Blackwolf’s choosing. The Inspector then informed Breakwater he was now under watch, and one more infraction would be the last act he’d ever take as Magistrate.

Verdigris knew there’d be trouble after that, but he didn’t care. His father and his comrades would have what they needed to do their job properly, and that mattered more. Breakwater could go hang.

(((())))

The next day, the pair were out in the yard, bright and early. Wolf was showing his “nephew” some combat maneuvers that Hawk had mentioned as the colt stood nearby, his eyes focused on every move he made.

“Wow. Those look fantastic,” Verdigris said in awe when Wolf finished his demonstration.

“Aye, they do, but there’s more to them,” Hawk said as he joined them. “You can’t do them correctly, or at all, without what I showed you before. Let’s see if they stuck with you,” he said, his voice mildly challenging.

The stallions watched as he demonstrated, silently critiquing. What he lacked in finesse didn’t matter, as he had the basics down. They couldn’t get over that. Wolf chalked it up to what Celestia’s blood had done, allowing him to remember and apply the knowledge. But can he react properly at a moments’ notice? he wondered. Theory, as he knew from experience, wasn’t enough. Thinking took too long. Well, time to find out. He looked at Hawk, caught his eye and tapped his left fore-hoof a certain way. Hawk glanced at his son, and back again, then nodded.

“Right. Now let’s see if you’ve learned it well enough,” Wolf said as Verdigris smiled. The grin faded as the colt heard his tone, and he swallowed nervously. “Have at.”

Verdigris nodded, then moved in cautiously, his wings properly spread and his head down. His expression went grim. Wolf waited in the same position, and didn’t have to hold back his reactions as the colt attacked with surprising speed. Bloody hell, Celestia, you’ve stacked the deck in his favour, haven’t you?

Hawk gasped at how close Verdigris came to ending the practice bout. Knees were always vulnerable, and the preferred target, but his hoof passed through Wolf’s mane as his head barely escaped. The counter, however, was swift and brutally efficient, and Hawk closed his eyes. The look of surprised betrayal on his son’s face was too much. He lay there on his side, groaning.

“Not bad, but you’ll have to remember your opponent can and will counter-attack, lad,” Wolf said gently as he helped Verdigris back to his hooves. “Now, how did I do that?”

Verdigris’ breathing looked painful, and he could have taken a little time to recover, but he closed his eyes and concentrated. “Your back hooves came in from my right as I was looking left,” he answered slowly. “My mane was blocking my view.”

“That’s why we tend to keep them short,” said a new voice. They turned to see Solstice, a grey unicorn with a blue-green mane approaching. “Can’t fault your attack, but you can’t count on ending the fight with one move. Veterans can take punishment, and we know how to defend.” He stopped and nodded to the stallions. “Why’d you want me, Blackwolf? He didn’t do badly.”

“How obvious does it have to be?” Wolf replied, looking toward the empty space above his eyes significantly, almost crossing his eyes in order to do it. “Alicorns have horns too, or didn’t you notice?”

Solstice tilted his head to one side. “I don’t know why I didn’t think of that. Of course Unicorn style would help him.” He approached and faced Verdigris, who still grimaced every time he inhaled. “Bit of advice, lad. You’ve got a horn, and you need to learn how to use it. Your position was fine, but Pegasai tend to leap more, using flight as an advantage. If you’re facing a Unicorn, you’ve got magic and a sharp point to contend with.” He looked at Hawk, who shrugged, as though saying, I can’t teach what I didn’t learn.

“Is that why you’re here, sir?”

“Sure is, lad. Since you’re not ready yet, I’ll show you how to take a Pegasus down a peg or two.” He approached Wolf, muttering, “Colt’s not even a year, and you’re doing this? I’ll fix you.”

Wolf barely gave him time to get set, then leapt up, preparing to strike from above. Solstice reared, bringing his hooves up as his horn gleamed. Wolf over-flew him, but before he could strike, his wings were wrapped in a greenish aura. As he fell, the Unicorn stepped to the side and planted a hard buck squarely in Wolf’s ribs as he landed. The combination left the brown Pegasus breathless for a long moment, and he raised a hoof in surrender. “There. Learned your lesson?” Solstice chuckled as Wolf shakily got to his hooves. “Not what you were expecting, was it?”

“No, it wasn’t,” Wolf wheezed. “Ow, that hurt.” His coat was dusty, and he swayed a little on his hooves, but he didn’t seem injured seriously. “That‘s what I had to show you, Verdigris. You’ve more options at your disposal than most ponies, and you’ll have to learn to use them all. It’s going to be you against all the other colts, probably, once Bluestreak lays eyes on you.” He turned to Hawkfeather. “You’re right, he’s a mean one. No reason, he just seems to like causing hurt to ponies he doesn’t like.” He paused in thought. “He’s never laid a hoof on anypony, has he? Just sends in his flunkies.”

The Patrol ponies nodded. “Aye, that’s a fair call,” Solstice replied. “Never seen him raise a hoof of his own. Got plenty as wants to be on his good side.”

Hawkfeather nodded. “I’ve never seen it, or heard of it. Won’t do his own dirty-work.” He scowled. “Has plenty who’ll do it for him.”

“Why would he? He doesn’t know me at all,” Verdigris said.

“You’re different. That’s all the excuse any bully really needs,” Wolf replied bluntly. He watched as the colt’s eyes narrowed. No, he doesn’t like that idea at all.

“So I’m gonna be fighting all my life.”

“Afraid so, lad,” Solstice replied. “Fact of life, and nopony can change that.”

Verdigris closed his eyes, took a deep breath and let it out slowly. When he opened his eyes, they were as hard as the stone he was named for. “Let’s get on with it. He’s not going to put me on the ground.”

(((())))

Two days later, Hawk, Wolf and Verdigris were sitting on the porch, resting. When Gemstone saw what they looked like at the end of the first day, she’d put her hoof down and berated all three of them, letting them know in no uncertain terms she wasn’t going to nurse any injuries short of broken bones, and she’d let them hear about it even then. They’d limped away, heads hanging and faces burning. Hawk had never heard her talk that way before, and it was more than a surprise.

The next day was mostly practice and exercises, so Verdigris could get the moves down, then develop speed and power as he became more confident. He’d covered a lot of ground, so Gemstone had allowed herself to be coaxed into showing him how to use his telekinesis, and teach him a few useful bits of magic. By that evening, he could lift and manipulate five objects at a time while walking. Not what Wolf thought his ability allowed, but it was a good start. Most ponies were a year or more before they could do that. They all knew why, and wondered what else he’d be able to do.

They looked out to sea, watching the birds glide and soar in the wind with seemingly no effort. Verdigris watched closely, noting how they used their wings to catch the breeze and either gain altitude or maneuver. “Uncle Wolf? Could you teach me how to fly? Dad – well, that last buck of yours didn’t look too good.”

“It sure wasn’t,” Hawkfeather replied as he shifted his wing painfully. “I thought it was broken, for a minute, and I’d have to listen to your mother. That, and I haven’t missed duty ever, and I don’t want to start.”

“Be happy to, nephew,” Wolf replied. “Hmm, how to do this.” He looked around the yard and noticed the rope they’d used to teach Verdigris knot-tying – always a useful skill by the sea – and his eyes glinted. “I think I’ve got it. You’ve been watching the birds?” Verdigris nodded. “All right, we can call this flight training, and ‘I didn’t have a kite, so I improvised’,” he finished with a grin.

“Oh, you’ve got to be kidding,” Hawk half-complained as Wolf laid out one hundred feet of rope after giving the end to the colt.

“No, this should be helpful until he can gain altitude on his own. Hold on tightly,” the older stallion said. He took the rope in one hoof and his teeth, and applied tension. “Now, spread your wings and get a feel.” Verdigris complied, concentration plain on his face as his wings began “talking” to him. “Right. Ready to jump on three. As hard and high as you can. One. Two. Three!

The colt leaped high and Wolf held fast. For a moment it seemed nothing would happen, then the breeze caught the Alicorn’s wings, sending him aloft. “Whoooaaaa-YEEEEAAAAAHH!” He screamed at first with fright, then elation as he shot skyward.

“Watch and feel!” Hawk called as he walked into the yard, craning his neck to watch. The birds dodged aside, then re-grouped around Verdigris as his height steadied. The look of joy and awe made all the practice worth it, they noticed. After gaining a feel for level gliding, Verdigris maneuvered experimentally, then moved higher; Wolf paid the rope out just enough to keep him steady as he climbed.

“This is fantastic! No wonder Pegasai prefer flying!” Verdigris closed his eyes and concentrated on the sensations from his wings, then noticed what his horn was telling him as well. The stallions smiled at his expression of pure bliss.

“Almost like the first time, isn’t it?” Wolf asked with a smile as he continued to pay out rope.

“I know what he’s feeling; I can almost feel it myself,” Hawk replied happily. “That’s the one thing I can’t share with Gemstone, and I wish I could.” He paused. “But then I don’t understand how working magic like hers feels, so I guess we’re both half-blind. It’s great that he gets the best of both worlds.” His half-lidded smile was beatific.

“Ah, the joy of discovery,” Gemstone’s voice sighed behind them. They glanced to see her standing there, smiling up at Verdigris as he slipped from side to side, occasionally dropping and recovering as he compensated for the wind’s vagaries. His eyes were still closed, and his smile spoke more than words could ever convey. “That looks wonderful.”

“I think he might be able to solo tomorrow, depending on how well he grasps the nuances,” Wolf said. “But not before more strength exercises, I think. It appears he’s noticing how much strain he’s under. I shouldn’t, but I’ll have to let him land on his own. He’ll need to feel the approach, and the ground effect as he lands. Hope he doesn’t stumble too badly.”

“He’ll get over it, and he can’t learn any other way,” Hawk agreed.

“He can’t?” the mare asked.

“Unfortunately, no. Like many other endeavours, this is learned by doing. He has to learn to correlate a large amount of information in seconds, or he’ll face-plant every time, if he’s lucky.” Wolf’s face was drawn. “I’ve seen too many bad landings to ever be optimistic again. Well, let’s get this started.”

“Verdigris!” The colt’s eyes snapped open, and he looked down. “You’re going to have to learn landings on your own! There’s no other way, or you’ll never get it! Understand?” He nodded and steadied himself. “Let go when you’re ready, and feel everything as you descend. You want to be moving forward at walking speed when you touch down. Got that?” Verdigris nodded, and stayed up for a few more minutes, then let go.

“Oh, no, don’t dive, you foal – ”

“You should have seen the look on your face, uncle Wolf,” Verdigris said as he sailed past, then flared his wings, rising up and back-sailing down-wind for another approach. He’s getting good at that, and just about everything else, Hawk thought. And he’s getting cocky. He shook his head. On your own head be it.

Verdigris slowed his dive, then leveled off, moving smoothly across the yard. He set a hoof down as he dropped the last foot. And then abruptly understood what it all meant when his chest, neck and chin slammed into the ground simultaneously as his hooves shot out from under him. “Ooooff!” he said as the air was forced out of his lungs by the impact. He skidded about ten feet before his back legs fell to the ground.

The adults trotted over quickly, but Verdigris managed to stand up, his hooves spread far apart to steady him. “W-will somepony please tell the ground to stop swaying!” he said. His face changed to an expression the stallions recognized, and he turned and threw up violently. That sapped his remaining strength and balance, and he collapsed in a heap. “Oohh, what’s wrong?”

“You need to get your land legs back again,” his father replied. “Not too different from going on a boat the first time. And yes, it gets easier.” He lent a helping hoof as Verdigris stood up again. “Well, if you’re green, we can’t tell, so I guess that’s one good thing.”

“Oh, Hawk,” Gemstone complained as she wrapped a foreleg around her son’s shoulders. “Did anypony make jokes when it was your turn?”

“Of course they did. It’s a rite of passage. You get a big look into your future, and it happens to every Pegasus, no exceptions. I’d bet the Princesses had to deal with it their first time. There’s really no way to prepare for it.”

Verdigris sat back on his haunches and just breathed in and out steadily. “It’s okay, mom. That was a lot to try to work through. At least I didn’t hurt or break anything, other than my pride. I think I’d rather get beaten up again.”

“Oh? Really?” Wolf said with comic eagerness. Verdigris favored him with a look that was pure poison. “Well then, be careful what you say, or wish for. You might get it.”

Hawk helped brush the dirt off as gently as he could, while Verdigris hissed in pain. “Well, you’re going to have some beautiful bruises, son. Think of it as the price for getting some freedom.”

(((())))

The remainder of the two weeks were spent in practice, with Wolf donning a strap-on horn, and Solstice joining in. Verdigris had healed up from his first flight, but his eyes were blood-shot for several days. If he was uncomfortable, he didn’t let on. On occasion, a few of the Patrol ponies would stop by and watch, join in or offer advice. They were surprised to see how much progress he’d made, which was more surprising for his age. They’d all assumed – from his size – he was eighteen months old, not just coming on ten.

The last day came on normally, but didn’t remain that way. Hawk had the duty that day, and Verdigris and Wolf had gone far outside the town’s limits for some special practice. Wolf revealed both his real name – Michael – and his true appearance, and told Verdigris he was going to help him practice as an Alicorn should – against a sparring partner who shared advantages, and could teach him how to make best use of them.

Hours passed, and the weather grew overcast, the clouds dimming and then cutting off the sun, and they practiced on. Magic, flight, and various fighting techniques were stressed, with Michael showing a few “tricks” he’d picked up in places outside Equestria.

They’d taken a break, and Michael watched as Verdigris practiced using his wings for leverage against the air, when the stallion suddenly looked up, his eyes focusing on something very, very far away. His eyes widened, and he cringed, his expression a mixture of pain and sadness. “What’s wrong, Uncle Mike?”

He recovered slowly, tears in his eyes. “I have to go, Verdigris. Someone needs my help rather desperately, I’m afraid. I promised.”

Verdigris’ expression saddened, but he understood what a promise meant to his adoptive uncle. “I – I wish you didn’t have to go.”

Michael nodded. “So do I, lad. You’ve come much further than I ever expected in this short a time, and it’s Celestia’s 'fault', in a way. But I understand why she did what she did.”

“Can you tell me?”

“No, that’s for her to tell. I can say it’s something that’s haunted her for more than a hundred years, and broke her heart, but the rest has to wait until you’re ready to hear it.” Michael raised his head and his horn glowed, and his saddlebags appeared at his hooves. “If I can, I’ll be back, but I can’t guarantee that. All I ask is you keep after it. You don’t want Bluestreak getting the upper hoof, ever. He’ll make your life miserable if you let that happen.”

Verdigris smiled grimly. “No worries, Uncle Mike. I might not win, but they’ll know they were in a fight.”

Michael smiled and tousled the colt’s mane as he levitated the bags onto his back. “Good lad. I’ll not say goodbye. It’s sometime again. I’ll be back. I promise.” He waved a hoof before vanishing in a bright blue flash.

Verdigris looked up at the darkening sky for a few minutes, ignoring the tears that formed in his eyes. “See you when I see you, Uncle Mike. I'll make you proud.”

The answer surprised him: No need, lad. You already have. Now, go on with your life, and make her proud. He nodded, then stood there for several minutes before making his lonely way home.

(((())))

Celestia and Surestrike started when the flash appeared on the balcony, and Nightwolf walked in. “Michael? What is it?”

He glanced at the Royal Guard, then nodded. “I see you’ve been briefed in. Good.” He turned to the Princess and said, “I have to go, Celestia. Something important’s come up, and I can’t put it off. Lives are in the balance.”

The Princess’ expression went grave, and she nodded. “Then go. You and I have our responsibilities, and we can’t ignore them. How did the visit go?”

A large, fat scroll appeared and drifted to the table-top. “It’s all there. Everything. I can tell you now he’s a remarkable lad, Celestia. I think you can begin to forgive yourself. I think you’ll be able to finish once you’ve told him what you need to,” he said softly, his eyes glowing faintly. “You’ve done well, if I say so myself, and it’s only going to get better. Luna’s exile is coming to an end, and you’ll need to prepare. I wish I could stay and help, but duty calls; inconveniently, as always.”

Celestia nodded, then hugged him gently. “Thank you, Michael. I can take it from here. I don’t have a choice, do I?” she said with a smile. “As you say, sometime again.”

“I’ll look forward to it, Highness.” Michael turned to Surestrike, nodding briskly. “It was good to meet you, Captain. You’ve done well, and you’ll do better.”

“Is that a feeling?” the Pegasus asked.

“No.” A mildly disturbing smile lit Michael’s face as he began to fade away. “I’ve foreseen it.”

“Oh, you did not just make that reference,” Celestia groused after he’d vanished, then chuckled. “Well, it could be worse. I could have gotten Tony DiNozzo.”

“Say what?”

Author's Note:

A/N: This is about how long the rest of the chapters are likely to be, depending on what’s happening. And before you say, “This is long”, it’s half as long as those I’ve written on FanFiction. If you want to know, PM me. I’m not going to discuss other stories here. It’s not fair to the ponies.

And, of course, various references have been made. By all means, point out the ones you recognize. If you dare...