• Published 3rd Jul 2012
  • 3,256 Views, 286 Comments

Beauty Is Where You Find It - Verdigris



Celestia makes good on a long-ago promise, and everypony deals with the consequences.

  • ...
8
 286
 3,256

Rest and Recuperation, Part One

Chapter 8

(((())))

“’Cause me...I’m rusted and weathered, barely holding together. I’m covered with skin that peels and it just won’t heal! I’m rusted and weathered, barely holding together. I’m covered with skin that peels and it just won’t heal! Nah! It just won’t heal!” – Creed, Weathered (Weathered)

(((())))

Verdigris’ Point of View

Pain. It’s something nopony likes, but there’s one good thing about it: I’d thought I was dead, but since I can feel pain, I know I’m not. I just don’t know where I am. My ears are ringing, and I ache all over. What happened? I remember the lightning … sort of.

I was in a bed when I woke up, and I could just hear the steady beeping of a heart monitor. Combined with the slight smell of antiseptics, I knew I was in some kind of hospital, but I could smell old stone and polish as well. Where am I?

I yawned, which hurt, and tried opening my eyes. When I couldn’t, panic rushed in, and I started breathing hard. When I tried to touch my face, I felt straps holding me down, and the panic really hit, so hard that I froze. I wasn’t sure, but I was breathing so hard I was making sobbing noises like an animal, not a pony. I admit it; I was a mess.

After a few minutes, I got control of myself by using the techniques Celestia’s book had taught me, and I was mostly okay, but the panic was still there. That changed when a young female voice asked, “Are you all right, Verdigris?” I felt a hoof gently touch my shoulder. A calm voice. It’s like nothing else when you’re panicked. Her voice was like cold water on a hot day, bracing. The touch did an amazing job, too. Simple pony contact is so under-rated.

“N-no, I don’t think so. I can’t see, I ache all over and I can’t move. Where am I?” I just barely managed to keep the panic out of my voice. I felt my face get hot with an ashamed blush. I’d nearly fallen apart in front of a filly.

“You’re in Canterlot, in the Palace. You can’t see because your eyes are bandaged, and you’re strapped down because the doctor was worried you’d hurt yourself. You were thrashing in your sleep, and it sounded like you were re-living the rescue.”

I stiffened, and turned my head toward her. “How’d it go? I think they had it under control.”

“Once you got the Comet moving, they got her clear. And in case you’re wondering, Dumb Luck won’t be doing any more sailing. He doesn’t belong on the water, according to Barnacle.”

I relaxed. “Okay. Uh, could I ask your name, miss? I’ll feel better.”

“Oh, I’m Twilight Sparkle. I’m the Princess’ student.”

“Oh, so you’re mom’s replacement,” I replied with a smile. “Celestia mentioned that.” I stopped, then asked, “Does everypony at home know I’m okay? Well, alive.”

“The Princess told them, but it was nearly four hours after you appeared in the gardens. Y-you were a mess. Your horn was black, your coat scorched, half your feathers and your mane and tail were burned. The doctor was surprised you lived, but we figured the salt water you were soaked with conducted the worst of it around you, at least until it flashed to steam. You caught the rest.”

“Wait, I teleported? All the way to Canterlot?” I couldn’t help whistling. I’d never tried teleporting anywhere near that far before, and wondered how I’d done it.

“Uh-huh.” Twilight fell silent, and I thought about her voice. She sounded about my age, give or take a year or two, and her vocabulary hinted that she was probably a bookworm. Well, duh. Celestia’s student. I had a brief image of a plain face and glasses, but I knew that probably wasn’t true. She seemed worried about something, but I let that go. For a while. Until the silence became oppressive.

“Okay, what is it? What don’t you want to tell me, Twilight?” I asked as gently as I could. I was probably not a pretty sight.

“It’s not that. It’s just I can’t get over what you are. There haven’t been many Alicorns in Equestria; I’d thought Princesses Celestia, Luna and Cadance were the only ones. Now you’re here.” She paused, as though working up her courage. “Could you tell me how it happened?”

“I can do that, Twilight,” a familiar, very welcome voice said. Soft hoof-steps approached slowly, and I heard a strange shuffling noise. “Rise, my faithful student,” Celestia said with humor-tinged affection. I had an image of mom as a filly, bowing to Celestia, and I chuckled. “Yes, it was something like that, god-son.”

I cleared my throat nervously. I couldn’t help wondering if she’d seen me nearly fall apart. Let’s face it, self-pride demands that you be strong, even when you’re laid-up. Stupid, but it’s still true. It was bad enough Twilight saw it, and from her description, I was a blackened mess. “God-Dam.” I cracked a wry smile. “Sorry I can’t say it’s good to see you, or you’re a sight for sore eyes.” The laughter was welcome. At least I still have my sense of humor. If you lose that, you’re dead, or might as well be dead.

Celestia’s gentle chuckle counter-pointed Twilight’s nervous giggles. “It’s good to see you awake, and hear your voice again, Verdigris. I have to admit I was very worried when I saw you. Feeling the pain was almost worse.”

I swallowed. “C-could you tell me what happened? I don’t remember anything past seeing the bolt headed for my face.”

Celestia haltingly said, “My first indication was feeling terrible pain. I couldn’t believe how much a pony could hurt, until then. I located the source, which came from the gardens, and I was shocked and frightened when I sensed it was you. I’m afraid I disrupted an official meeting when I jumped up and screamed your name before teleporting to your side.” She stopped, and I heard a sniffle. “You – you looked awful, and at first I thought you might be dead, until I was able to calm myself, and listened to your chest. I was relieved to no end when I heard your heart beating.

“Once I was certain you’d be all right, I levitated you onto my back and personally carried you to the castle clinic. I told the doctors no expense would be spared in your care, and I wanted to be kept appraised of your condition,” she said, her voice right at my bed-side. I felt her feather-gently nuzzle me. “I couldn’t lose you, Verdigris. I’ve grown very, very fond of you, probably more than I should,” she murmured into my ear. “I consider you my son as much as Gemstone’s, and in the end that was that.”

Wow. I knew that, but hearing her say it, her voice half-breaking, hit me hard. “Thank you seems so inadequate,” I said.

“It’s enough. I’m keeping my promise to you, Sunblur,” she whispered, her breath tickling my ear.

I sighed, content to feel her touching me, to feel that deep tranquility seeping in, calming me down. The warmth was also wonderful; I felt cold, until that moment. “How long have I been here?” I asked.

I felt her move away, and heard her walk to either a balcony or a window; the distance was about right. “Six days. It was a hard fight, but you’re still as much a fighter as when I first saw you. You refused to give up, just like before.” She paused, then said, “I’m sure you’re wondering when the bandages can come off. Not for another few days, until the doctors are sure your eyes have healed properly. Your face took the worst of it, I’m afraid, but I’ve been assured you won’t be blind, and you haven’t lost your horn. You have an inhibitor ring on so you won’t try using magic. That could, among other things, cause you serious pain.”

“An inhibitor? Do those even work on Alicorns?”

“Somewhat. It’s mostly to prevent accidental uses. You’ve been through enough,” she finished decisively. “Your main duty is to rest and recover, Verdigris. Nothing else. Understood?” Her commanding tone left no doubt.

“Yes, Celestia. Problem is, I’ll have to go through therapy, and that’s gonna hurt.”

I could almost hear her smile. “Consider that punishment for forgetting what a storm can do.”

There was a knock, and I heard another set of hoof-steps; Surestrike’s, I think. Wow, he’s good. The door opened, and somepony came in, pushing a light cart by the sound. My mouth watered when I smelled the food. “Who’s hungry?” a mare asked.

“You have to ask?” I quipped as my stomach didn’t just growl; it snarled. Twilight’s giggles filled the room.

Third Pony Point of View

Twilight watched as Nurse Gentle Heart rolled the cart beside the bed. She’d never seen anypony being cared for, and thought it would be interesting and helpful. She’d thought Verdigris would try to take care of himself – she’d heard many ponies tried, despite advice – but he laid there, more or less passively as food was spooned into his mouth. Between bites he’d said, “Well, at least you’re not doing the ‘Here comes the choo-choo’ bit. I appreciate that.”

“I can if you’d like,” the aquamarine Earth mare replied with a smile.

“Please. I’m not two anymore.” Twilight couldn’t help giggling. “What else can I do, Twilight?” he asked. “I know I can’t really take care of myself without magic or my eyes. I’ve heard stories at the Oceanside hospital, and some aren’t pretty.”

The lavender Unicorn trotted a little closer, her eyes intent. “Could you tell me about Oceanside? I’ve never been outside Canterlot.”

“That will probably have to wait, I’m afraid,” the nurse said. “It’s not always so, but most ponies are tired after meals, especially after coming out of a coma. Don’t be surprised if you’re exhausted, or want to sleep a lot. You’ve been through an ordeal.”

“I don’t doubt it. I feel like I took a serious beating,” Veridgris replied. “Mmm. Brussels sprouts that haven’t been boiled to death. I’m just going to shut up and enjoy.”

“Well, what a nice, cooperative patient. We’ll get along well, at least for a few minutes at a time.” Verdigris chuckled.

Twilight looked up as Celestia walked over to join her. “Are you all right with the arrangements, Twilight? I didn’t want to impose, but I couldn’t think of any other way. The last thing I wanted was to inconvenience you,” she murmured.

“Once you explained, I was all right. I think he’ll have problems, once I tell him. You know how bad I am about lying, Princess.”

The Princess’ smile only hinted at her amusement. “No more need be said, Twilight. As I said, this is an opportunity. Just don’t rush him. Verdigris has had a difficult life, though he’d say it’s not so bad. He doesn’t know what he’s missed, but I agreed when he said there were compensations.” She looked at the bed, watching with a smile of motherly pride as her god-son ate. When his head slowly lowered and jerked back up, she said, “Gentle Heart was right. He’s falling asleep. Just a moment. I’ll tell you how he came to be while he’s sleeping.” Celestia walked to the bed-side and looked at the nurse after checking the plate. It was a spoonful away from empty. “Verdigris, are you all right?”

“She’s right. I’m tired.” He yawned, then grimaced. “Ow. How can yawning hurt?”

“You’re using muscles that were seriously mis-treated,” Gentle Heart replied softly. “I think we can remove the straps, now. You’ll be sleeping normally, and you’ll be more comfortable.”

“Just be careful of your horn. It might be over-sensitive,” Celestia advised. “Verdigris, you should know something. I asked Twilight to take care of you, and watch you, and to that end you’re in her rooms. Don’t worry, you’re not putting her out. There’s plenty of space, and she’s very interested.”

“No, really?” he asked sardonically. “I’d have never guessed.”

“Definitely on the mend,” the nurse said as she moved linen and plate to the cart. “Make sure to prop your head well.” She unbuckled and moved the straps, and Verdigris carefully stretched before rolling onto his side, grimacing the whole time.

“Oh, much better,” the Alicorn said as he adjusted his pillows. “Good night, god-Dam. Day. Whatever.” Once still, his breathing began to slow until it was the steady rhythm of sleep.

Celestia watched him until the nurse left, then leaned down and gently kissed him. “Sleep well, Verdigris.” She was pleased when he smiled in his sleep. Good. He feels safe. That will help. With that, she turned and led Twilight outside. Once there she paused and said, “Surestrike, have two Guards posted here. Not for security, but notification. He’s still not out of the woods.”

The Guard Captain nodded. “Done, Celestia. I think Blaze and Tango won’t mind. They’ve taken a shine to the lad.”

“Good. Tell Blackwing I’ll receive the Oceanside party in chambers in a half hour. Come, Twilight.” Celestia led the way to her small apartment adjacent to the Court Hall, and they settled down. Twilight made tea as Celestia doffed her regalia and relaxed. “Oh, thank you. I appreciate that very much, Twilight.”

The filly returned, carrying the tray and set it on the low table. “I could see how this affected you, Princess,” Twilight replied. “He’s very special, isn’t he?”

Celestia nodded. “For many reasons.” Twilight poured, and after a sip, Celestia launched into the tale of Sunblur and his family, then segued into Verdigris and his family’s part of the story. Twilight listened, her expression rapt for the most part, at least between cringes. When Celestia finished her tale, Sparkle wiped her eyes. “I haven’t had any regrets, Twilight. Not one. I’ve had a few worries, but mostly they’ve been groundless. He’s come so far, and I’m looking forward to what he might become.”

“And that is?” her student prompted, then blinked. “Is he going to become like you, Princess?”

“He may, Twilight,” Celestia replied. “That’s one thing I’m waiting to find out. I’m hoping and yet dreading it may be so. I don’t want to have him regard me as an opportunist if he does. You have no idea what it’s like, being immortal, and you shouldn’t. It’s so hard, growing close to ponies, knowing they’ll grow old and eventually die while you continue on. It can be and is heart-breaking. After a while, you have to distance yourself, but you can’t grow too distant.” She sighed. “I don’t want him to go through that, if it can be avoided. Not all ponies are suited to an essentially solitary existence, not even him. Not even Luna and I were immune, nor are we now.”

Twilight sipped her tea, nodding solemnly, her eyes wide. “Y-you’re right. I can’t imagine it, Princess.”

“So, is there anything else you wanted to know about Verdigris?”

Twilight sipped her tea, thinking hard. “Anything I can’t learn from him I can learn from you, or maybe from his family. And any friends he might have.”

You need friends, too, Twilight. You don’t know it, yet, but you do, and you will have them, Celestia thought. She smiled. “A very good answer.” She glanced at the clock. “Fifteen minutes. Enough time for a lesson review.”

(((())))

Sea Grass and Honey Bunch looked at each other as they stood outside the Court Hall doors. Their expressions said, Was this really a good idea? The fire-sent letter – essentially a summons – from the Princess had arrived the day after Verdigris disappeared, at first relieving them, then adding another layer of unease. Each had wondered, Why would she want to see us?

Grass glanced at Freewind, who stood beside her, bored, nervous and ill-at-ease. She’d agreed to take her along, as nopony else could come. The Princess’ letter had been firm that one of his family should see he was alive, and relatively okay. This has been a roller-coaster for her, more than anypony, Grass thought as she checked her and Freewind’s dresses again.

The doors opened, startling them, and a Guard Pegasus stepped out. “This way, please,” he said, surprisingly subdued for what they’d heard about the Guards. He led them inside, and instead of going to the thrones, he led them to a side door, which opened into a modest-looking suite of rooms. Inside they saw Princess Celestia and a lavender-coated, indigo-maned Unicorn filly resting and having tea. They were surprised to see the Princess without her regalia. What’s going on? Grass wondered.

Freewind looked, then her smile broke out. “Aunt Celestia!” she chirped, breaking into a trot and running into the Princess’ open fore-legs. “How’s Verdigris?” the filly asked with almost comic seriousness.

Celestia smiled and gently hugged her as Sea Grass and Honey Bunch looked at them in surprise. “Hello, Freewind. Sea Grass. Honey Bunch.” Her eyes sparkled as they bowed. “All right, you’ve paid your respects. Come join us. I imagine it was a long, dull train ride.”

When the older fillies settled onto cushions, Celestia turned her attention to Verdigris’ sister. “He’s all right, but he’s been hurt. He woke up earlier today, just as the doctor said, and he’s already asleep again.” She nodded to the Unicorn, who watched with a little smile. “This is my student, Twilight Sparkle. She’ll be taking care of him during his recovery. And picking his brains in the process,” she said, causing Twilight to blush.

Honey cleared her throat softly. “How bad, your Highness?” she asked.

Celestia’s smile faded, and she nodded with an understanding sigh. “He was badly hurt, but the worst is behind him. His horn was burned, but it’s otherwise unharmed. His eyes were singed, but he’ll regain his sight. He looks worse than he really is. He’s tough, even for a sea-side pony, from what I’ve been told. His recovery will take time, I’m afraid. If he’s lucky, he’ll be home in a month. Unfortunately, lightning is unpredictable, and so are its injuries.”

The young mares sighed with relief. “As long as he comes home in one piece, I don’t think there will be too many complaints,” Honey Bunch said.

Celestia’s eyes sparkled. “Your eyes give you away, Honey. You want him back not just alive and whole, but the way he was before this happened, and I know for a fact he wouldn’t want anything less. All for you.” The pendant Honey Bunch wore levitated briefly. “I know the story behind this, and I understand. I also approve, and give my blessing.”

Honey Bunch blushed furiously and looked away. “How’d you – Oh, right. He said he told you in a letter.” She glared at the window. “If he wasn’t hurt, I’d beat him.”

“You don’t mean that,” Grass contradicted almost too quickly. She looked at the Princess. “She really doesn’t mean it.”

“I know. They never do,” Celestia replied with a smile. “If everypony actually went through it when they said they’d kill somepony else, we’d have died out long ago.”

“And you’re gonna have to go through me!” Freewind added, sticking out her tongue. “So there!”

Everypony chuckled. Celestia marvelled, No wonder he loves her. I understand. I miss my little “Woona”. She hugged the filly gently. “It won’t come to that, Freewind.” She looked at Honey Bunch. “Will it?” Her smile had a slightly dangerous edge to it, but nothing serious.

Honey Bunch lowered her head. “No, it won’t, your Highness. It’s just worry talking. I thought I’d lost him, and it was horrible.”

Celestia set Freewind down, got up and walked to where the Pegasus sat, crouching down to wrap her in her wings. As with Verdigris, at the touch, Honey Bunch began to cry. “Yes, dear, let it out. All of it. He’s safe. I won’t let anything happen to him,” Celestia soothed as she looked at Sea Grass. “Nopony will hurt him if it’s within my power to prevent.”

The door opened, and the Guard who’d escorted them entered. “Verdigris is awake, Celestia. I think he could use some company.”

“Very well, Blackwing. Twilight, could you take Sea Grass and Freewind? I want to speak with Honey Bunch privately.”

Freewind jumped excitedly to her hooves, looking up at the surprised mare. “Yeah, pleeeeeease?”

Twilight and Grass stood more sedately. “Of course, Princess. Come on, Sea Grass, Freewind. He’ll be glad to hear you.”

“Hear? Oh, right,” Sea Grass said, resisting the urge to face-hoof. “Lead on, please.” She and Freewind followed Twilight out, and the door closed.

When they were alone, Celestia said, “You haven’t dealt with it all, have you?”

“No, not really,” Honey replied, her face pressed into the Princess’ neck, muffling her voice. “I – I thought I knew what the future had for us, but now I’m not so sure. I didn’t think anything really bad could happen to him, but I should have known better. He’s never thought twice about jumping into trouble if he felt he had to.” She chuckled ruefully. “If he bothered to think.”

Celestia chuckled, then released Honey Bunch to sit on her haunches. “True enough.” When the mare raised her eyes, she looked into them. “Ah, yes. I can see it, now. There really is nopony else for you. He’s the perfect fit.”

Honey nodded. “I can live without him, but I’m not sure how well I’d do, your Highness.”

“Please, it’s Celestia when we’re in private, Honey. I must insist on informality; I have to deal with the pomp every day, and it gets old.” She giggled suddenly. “I should know.”

Honey Bunch smiled, and nodded. “What did you want to talk to me about, Celestia?”

“Verdigris mentioned the possibility of you coming to work here in the castle as a hoof-maiden. I’d love to have you here, but I won’t try to influence you beyond that. To be completely honest, it can be a very rough job, because the nobles – Unicorns, mostly – have the attitude that Earth ponies and Pegasai don’t matter, and not every mare can tolerate the environment.” She gave an irritated huff. “I think you can understand that attitude; it’s not far from what you have in Oceanside.”

Honey gave a disgusted snort. “No, I don’t think I could. I wouldn’t just stand there and take it; I’d buck their faces in, and then I’d get mean.”

Celestia smiled. “Well, there’s one position where you wouldn’t have to worry about that, but it’s not an easy one, either. My personal hoof-maiden Rigel needs to train her replacement, as she’s due to retire in – how convenient – five years. She isn’t my only hoof-maiden, of course. If life in Oceanside becomes too unbearable, you can spend a few years learning the position.

“If that’s not quite right, I believe there are a few firms who can use your business acumen. Yes, Verdigris reluctantly pulled a few strings, and I don’t mind. After meeting you, I can see why he loves you, Honey, and I can’t in good conscience say no. He said he didn’t want you going back to Oceanside in defeat, and I agree.” Celestia paused to sip her tea after levitating it to her, and giving a cup to her interlocutrix. “What do you say?”

Honey Bunch sat there staring at Celestia, then looked at nothing as she sipped her tea. It was tempting, so very tempting to just say yes and stay in Canterlot. But what about Sky? If I leave, what happens to him? Will he be okay, or go back to being the little snitch? She paused. If I go back, it’s another few years of torture, and dad might still get me married to somepony I’ll hate. I can’t decide. I just can’t.

Celestia noted her internal debate, and cringed internally, though her calm exterior never changed. Yes, all that. I think you should ask Verdigris, my dear. He’ll give you his honest opinion, even if it hurts him in the short run. You know that.

“I can’t decide, Celestia. I can’t do this on a whim. I – I need to think about it, carefully. I need to talk to Sea Grass, and Verdigris. They’re my best friends, and I can trust their opinions. Tomorrow, at the earliest.”

Celestia nodded. “It’s never easy to leave behind everything you know. Take your time, and regardless of the outcome, I’ll abide by your decision. Grass and Verdigris won’t be as reticent, however. They’ll want you take it.”

“I know. I’m worried about my brother. I don’t want him to revert, Celestia. We’re closer than we’ve ever been, and I can’t believe what I missed.”

“I know. Please don’t ask; you shouldn’t need to.” Honey Bunch nodded, and they enjoyed their tea in silence.

(((())))

“Verdigris, you’ve got visitors,” Tango said as he opened the door. “Shh, don’t make too much noise,” he warned softly.

Twilight nodded and led the way into her chambers. “Verdigris, it’s Twilight. Sea Grass and Freewind are here.”

“What? Really?” He sounded hopeful and disbelieving at the same time. “Trouble?” he asked, making Twilight blink in surprise.

“Right here,” Freewind said as she trotted at Twilight’s side. “Honey and Aunt Celestia are talking.” She stopped at the bed-side, propped her hooves against the rail and looked at him solemnly. “Does it hurt?” To the filly, it sure looked like it did.

“Yeah, some. Grass?”

“Right here,” she replied, taking his hoof. “We were so worried.”

“I’ll bet Honey had it worst. I would have,” he said. “Are you it?”

“Nopony else could come,” Grass said as Twilight moved a love seat nearby, and they sat down. The Unicorn brought over a cushion and laid on it, watching. “The Patrol was still going over the aftermath, and Firelance isn’t up to traveling, so your mom had to stay.” She smiled at the filly beside her. “Trouble here wanted to come in the worst way after we received the Princess’ letter, and pestered us until we agreed. Before you say it, we didn’t mind. We jumped at the chance. It was hard enough for that first few hours, when we thought you might be dead,” she said in a choked voice, tears running down her muzzle.

“Hey, stop that,” he said gently. He carefully reached out, found her face and wiped away the tears. “I’m okay. I’m sure I look like hay, but the doctors said I’ll have the bandages off in a few days. Well, that’s what I was told. I didn’t actually talk to them.”

“It’s the truth,” Twilight said. “They went all-out for you. You don’t argue with the Princess.”

Verdigris chuckled. “Well, you can, but it’s not a good idea.” The door opened, and everypony looked to see Honey Bunch and Celestia walk in. After a few seconds, he said, “Is that Honey Bunch with you, Celestia?”

“How could you tell?” she asked as she stopped beside Twilight while Sea Grass sat down again.

“Your hoof-steps are distinctive.” Honey Bunch continued to the other side of the bed as Celestia stopped by the love seat. She looked at Verdigris silently. “Yeah, I’m a mess,” he said.

“Shut up. I’m still getting used to the idea you’re still alive.”

He reached out with his hoof, found hers and said quietly, “You’ll never get rid of me unless you really want it. You know that.” Honey Bunch tentatively reached out and hugged him. “I guess that answers my question,” he said as his forelegs wrapped around her. Honey sighed, and tears began running. They stayed that way for a while.

Sea Grass and Freewind stayed quiet. Both knew this was a special moment, though from differing directions. Freewind and Sky had become friends in the intervening years, while Sea Grass’ love for Verdigris had deepened. Saying anything would be useless.

Celestia watched, her expression neutral, but a smile curved her lips ever so slightly. Yes, the perfect fit. I hope I’m wrong about him. It wouldn’t be fair to either of them.

Verdigris held Honey Bunch as tightly as his abused muscles and the tubes and wires would allow. He didn’t know if he’d been close to dying, and didn’t want to. The brush made him appreciate her all the more, and the fact she came told him plenty. But he’d done a few things on her behalf, and had to ask. “Did Celestia mention staying here?”

She nodded. “Yes, you sneak, but I can’t decide. Too many things to think about. I can’t before tomorrow.”

He nuzzled her. “Okay. It’s still up to you, but I want you to take it. Your dad won’t give up. You know that.”

“What about Sky? I don’t want him going back.”

“He won’t,” Freewind piped-up. “I’ll kick his silly flank.”

Honey Bunch flinched, and blushed. “I keep forgetting you have good ears, Trouble. You named her right.” Everypony chuckled, except Blackwing, though he smiled slightly. “Okay, I’ll think about it.” She leaned over and whispered in his ear, “Will you be all right with me being here? Aren’t you worried I might meet some fantastic stallion and forget about you?”

He chuckled. “Stop being silly. That afternoon on the beach stuck with us, Honey. Something like that doesn’t go away. I’ll miss you, but I’ll be okay. Just write and let me know how you’re doing.”

She nodded. “I haven’t decided, but I feel a lot better about everything.” She pulled back. “What about dad? He’s going to blame you.”

The old cynical smile appeared. “Like that’s anything new. He blames me for the weather.”

“It’s not that bad. You know better.” She looked at him, then asked, “Where’s your pendant? I haven’t seen you without it.”

“I’m going to assume it’s with my gear?” he asked, facing in Celestia’s direction; he wasn't even close.

Twilight got up from her place, walked to her vanity, opened a box and levitated out the pendant in question, then trotted to the bed. “It’s right here. Hold still.” She put it around his neck, careful not to touch his horn. “I thought it might be important. Makes me think of a pair of rings.” She grinned smugly.

“Twilight,” Celestia chided gently.

The filly blushed. “Sorry.”

“It’s all right,” Honey Bunch said. “You’re actually right.”

Verdigris yawned. “Oh, come on, I just woke up,” he complained.

“You’re still recovering,” Celestia reminded him unnecessarily. “It will be this way for a while.”

“Verdi? Is it okay if I go home? Mom and dad don’t show it much, but they’re worried, and I can’t miss any school,” Freewind said. “And, well, it’s kinda boring here.”

“I’d like to stay a while,” Sea Grass said quietly. Honey Bunch smiled and nodded.

“I’ll have a chariot take you back tomorrow,” Celestia said. She walked over and nuzzled the filly. “It’s been good to see you again, niece. Tell your parents your brother is in the best hooves, and he should be back in a month or two.”

Freewind hugged the Princess. “’Kay. Take good care of him, an’ bring him back. Promise?”

Celestia smiled, stood tall and put a hoof over her heart. “I, Princess Celestia, Ruler of Equestria, solemnly make a promise to Freewind that I’ll bring her brother Verdigris back to Oceanside, safe and sound,” she intoned formally.

“All ya had to do was say ‘I promise’,” the filly replied crossly.

Celestia smiled again, and ruffled Freewind’s mane. “That’s how Princesses make promises, silly.”

“Stop trolling my sister,” Verdigris said as he settled down.

“It’s okay. I like her this way.” Freewind bowed, and trotted away.

“Show her to the guest rooms, Blackwing, but first, take her on a tour of the castle. I can’t believe you don’t want to see anything, Freewind,” Celestia said.

“Well … okay, ya talked me into it,” she replied, then followed the Guard out.

Celestia smiled as the door closed, the looked at the others. “What? I can’t have any fun?” she asked when she noticed the others looking at her in surprise. “Twilight, you should tell them about my – ahem! – interesting side. Come, Sea Grass, Honey Bunch. Verdigris needs his rest, and I’m sure you have questions.” She walked to the bed, leaned down and nuzzled him. “Sleep well, god-son,” she murmured before kissing him.

“Thank you, god-dam. Take good care of them. They’re very special fillies,” he replied sleepily.

As they left, Twilight quietly walked to the bed-side, levitating a clipboard as she recorded the readings, her face serious. Her expression softened as she looked at her patient. “You’ll be all right,” she murmured.

“I get that,” Verdigris replied softly. “What time is it, Twilight?”

“It’s almost sunset, about six o’clock.”

“Okay, so I won’t be keeping you awake. If I need anything, I’ll call,” he said, then yawned again. “G’night.”

“Hey.” He didn’t move, but his ears pricked up. “Don’t worry about that. I’m, um, kind of a night-owl. If you wake up when I think you will, I’ll probably still be awake,” Twilight said, blushing and grinning with embarrassment. I’m glad he can’t see this, she thought.

“Well, please don’t make too much noise. Looking this good takes too much effort, and I need my sleep.” Verdigris smiled when she laughed. “And with that, my work for the day is done.”

(((())))

Honey Bunch, Sea Grass and Celestia returned to the Royal chambers, instead of the apartment. The day was over, and it was time to rest. Dinner was steaming on the side-board when they arrived; included was a note from Surestrike: I guessed you’d pass on the Dinner, considering everything. Take the rest of the evening off, and enjoy, Celestia. No, it’s not a request. -Surestrike-

The Princess smiled, enjoying the occasional reminder that although all ponies were in her care, she was in the care of the best ponies. Thank you, Surestrike, she sent his way.

My pleasure, Celestia. Good night, he replied.

“Oh, my. Carrots,” Sea Grass breathed. “Um, I may demolish them, your Highness.”

“It’s all right. I know they’re hard to get near the coast. That’s why I sometimes indulge in a large seaweed salad. That doesn’t grow inland,” Celestia replied. “Help yourselves. No standing on ceremony. We’re in private. Oh, speaking of...” She closed her eyes and concentrated, and her regalia appeared on its stand. “Can’t leave that lying about. I had a Guard who, well, had interesting proclivities, including impersonating me. Alone. Late at night.”

“Who caught him?” Grass asked as she speared a few carrots.

“Oh, I did.” Celestia smiled almost evilly.

“And?” Both mares leaned forward expectantly.

“I walked him to my rooms and made him take it off. Slowly. While I watched. He was sooo embarrassed.”

Their jaws dropped. “He was wearing your regalia, and – ” Honey Bunch began laughing, while Sea Grass stared at Celestia, mortified.

Celestia laughed at Grass. “No, all I did was watch as he removed it.” She wiped her eyes. “You Coast ponies have dirty minds.” Sea Grass’ blush deepened, to where she appeared almost purple. “Or maybe a certain greenish Alicorn is on your mind?”

“Oh, please, stop,” Sea Grass half-moaned, hiding her head under the table. Honey continued to laugh.

The Princess waited until the Pegasus regained her composure. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to embarrass you. You did it to yourself, mostly.”

“Well, it’s – you’re so different from what I was expecting. All anypony ever sees is your regal mode.” Grass shook her head.

“Yes, it’s true I have a lighter side only those close to me see. Verdigris has, as have Blackwing and Surestrike, plus a few others, including you.” Celestia’s smile faded. “And my sister. I miss her.”

“Even after … ” Honey trailed off, unwilling to say more.

“Especially after. I didn’t want to, but I had no choice. She was a danger to everything and everypony in Equestria, and I’m not sure she realized it. She was a different pony as the Nightmare.”

“Verdigris thinks she’s coming back.” Grass blurted, and cringed as soon as the words left her mouth. She hadn’t meant to say anything.

“It’s all right. He’s right, she is. The seal is weakening, and I’m taking precautions and making preparations. I’ve also told him to stay away. I don’t want him caught up in my problems, even though he wants to help. She’s far out of his league.” Celestia brightened. “But I believe after it’s over, my sister will be back, and I think she and Verdigris will have some common ground. They’re different, almost too different for most ponies to accept.”

“Yes, that’s true,” Honey mused.

“Is that what attracted you to him? You don’t have to answer.”

“Best I can remember, yes,” Honey replied. She looked at Sea Grass, who nodded. “There was something nopony else seemed to notice about him. I can’t put a hoof on it.”

“I know,” Celestia agreed as her fork speared more salad. “His isolation lets him see from other points of view more easily, so instead of feeling contempt he sympathizes. Not that he’ll agree, but he understands,” she finished, thinking back to the quote from Frankensteed.

Honey and Grass nodded. They’d been surprised when he changed his stance on Sky, for example, and his willingness to help Bluestreak, though through selfish motives, but understood when he explained. “But, he’s not happy being alone. We can feel it,” Grass said.

“No sane pony is. If they isolate themselves, it’s after much thought and it’s a choice not made lightly. Verdigris wrote about moving out, and his reasons are valid. He doesn’t want to be in the way of his family’s happiness, and he knows he’s the reason nopony visited them,” Celestia told them. “I’m not revealing any grave secrets, girls. Anypony could figure it out.”

“What next?” Honey asked after more tea was poured.

“We’ll get to know each other, and then it’s time to rest. I have a busy schedule tomorrow, and I’m sure you’d like to spend as much time with Verdigris as possible. So, what about Oceanside don’t I know?”

(((())))

Freewind walked beside Blackwing, occasionally asking questions, but mostly looking. They’d started in the Court Hall, then began touring the public sections of the castle. She surprised most of the Guards – Unicorn and Pegasus alike – by giving them respectful nods as she and Blackwing passed, carrying herself like a noble, which was at odds with her age.

Blackwing smiled to himself, bemused with her behavior. She seemed to understand instinctively the difference between public and private behavior. With Celestia and her friends, she’d been an ordinary filly. Outside, in the halls, she was more of a lady than some noblemares, a thought he wouldn’t share with anypony, other than the Princess. She’ll go a long way, he thought.

“What’s that?” Freewind asked, pulling him out of his reverie. She pointed to a door at the end of a long, seldom-used hallway.

“Storage, Miss Freewind.”

She looked up at him, one eyebrow raised, her mouth pouted slightly. “Try that again.”

“It’s storage, Freewind,” he said.

“Better. What’s there?”

“Unused items. Spare armor, and such. Nopony goes there, other than the Princess. Nopony knows why, and it’s not our business.”

Freewind nodded. “How long have you been here?” she asked as they continued on.

“About fifteen years, five in her Highness’ personal Guard.”

“She seems all right, but doesn’t she get lonely?”

Blackwing thought about his answer. “She may be, but she doesn’t let it get in the way of her duties. She can’t. It’s like putting on a smile when you don’t feel like it.”

Hmph. Thought so. She reminds me of my brother, sometimes. He’s got that same look in his eyes when he thinks nopony’s watching.”

The Guard looked at her in surprise. “You can see that?”

“Only when I look for it. I can’t always tell.”

“Doesn’t that bother you?”

“A little. I don’t want to see somepony acting happy when they’re not, and need somepony to talk to. I’d do something, but I don’t know how.”

He nodded. “Yes, that can be the real trick.” I’ll have to inform her Highness, he thought.

“You can tell her. I don’t mind.” Blackwing was so startled, he about lost his hoofing. Freewind smiled. “I can read ya like a book, Blackwing.” Her smile faded. “I wish I couldn’t do that, sometimes. You can tell a lot about a pony by their eyes, and it’s not good all the time, y’know?”

“No, but I can guess. We Guards have to be able to read other ponies, so we can tell if they’ll be trouble. No, not your kind of Trouble,” he added with a smile. “Oh, you’ll like this. The view with the sun setting is fantastic.” Blackwing led her up a flight of stairs to the second, then third floor to the southwest promenade. He wasn’t disappointed, as the sun’s rays were just shading over to orange-gold, lighting Canterlot beautifully. Freewind saw it, and sighed, leaning her forelegs on the parapet, with her hooves under her chin. “Like it?”

“Love it. I wouldn’t mind living here, but I guess I’d have to make a good living. Everypony’s heard Canterlot’s not cheap.”

“No, it’s not.” He put himself on guard, so he wouldn’t say anything about Canterlot’s seamier side. The Princess wouldn’t mind as much as the nobles, who wanted to pretend everything was perfect. He didn’t want to disillusion Verdigris’ sister, who while she didn’t have stars in her eyes, probably wasn’t ready to hear it. Life could be raw in places, and she was too sweet for that.

“What’s there?” Freewind pointed at the tallest tower.

“The Princesses’ private chambers. Princess Celestia’s face north, while Princess Luna’s face south.”

“What’s Luna’s like?”

“Nopony but Celestia knows, Freewind. She keeps them as they were before … before she had to seal her sister in the moon.”

Freewind nodded solemnly. Everypony had been taught the story of Nightmare Moon. A yawn caught her by surprise. “Oh, guess we’d better get back. I’m not just tired, I’m kinda hungry.”

Blackwing smiled. “If you don’t mind, I can get us back fast.” When she nodded, he crouched slightly and said, “Hop on.” When she was settled, he trotted toward the railing and leapt slightly, catching the evening air easily. He turned and glided down to the courtyard, landing smoothly. The Unicorn Guards on duty started, then smiled. “Evening,” he said. “Miss Freewind hasn’t had dinner, and I recall her Highness hasn’t cleared a balcony approach.”

The lieutenant nodded and closed his eyes briefly, his horn glowing. A few moments later, he opened his eyes and said, “Go straight up. She’s expecting you. Welcome to Castle Canterlot. Are you enjoying yourself, Miss Freewind?”

“Sure am.”

“Then we won’t keep you. Good evening.”

Blackwing nodded, turned and broke into a gallop, then caught air again, his wings pumping strongly, carrying them up and up. Freewind looked around in awe as the colors changed, deepening into orange and red. Soon, they approached the tower, and the Pegasus carefully back-winged to light gently on the balcony. After helping Freewind to the floor, he knocked.

The door opened, and Celestia was there, smiling. “Well, I trust we had a good time?”

“Sure did, Aunt Celestia.” Freewind turned and bowed to Blackwing. “Thanks.”

“My pleasure,” he replied with a smile. “By your leave, Highness?” Celestia nodded, and he walked through the chambers, nodding to the other mares as he let himself out and took his position.

Surestrike gave him a sideways look. “Looks like you had fun.”

“She’s wonderful, ‘Strike. Wouldn’t have minded a little sister like her.”

(((())))

Early the next morning Celestia and Honey Bunch saw Freewind and Sea Grass off. As the chariot lifted, Freewind waved, and they replied in kind. The Princess sighed, a smile on her face. “I’ll miss her, and I know why he loves her, Honey. She’s like the sun given mortal form. She’s wonderful.”

“She is. I tried not to, but you can’t help liking her. She’s so sweet.”

“I hope there’s no trouble in Oceanside,” Celestia said. “I imagine there are a few ponies who might take advantage of his absence.”

Honey Bunch smiled nastily. “They’d try, but Verdigris doesn’t count on their better nature, not after what he’s been through.” Her smile faded, and she asked, “When can I meet Rigel? I’ve thought it over, and I’ll stay, your Highness. It’s an opportunity I can’t let pass, for several reasons.”

“Of course. I’m not the slave-driver some complain about. I think they do just to have something to complain about, as though they’re happy when they’re unhappy.” Honey Bunch rolled her eyes. “I know, it’s contradictory, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s true. Let’s go. Breakfast is in an hour.”

(((())))

Hawkfeather was just leaving when he heard a faint call. “Daddy! Wait up!” He looked up and north to see a familiar chariot approach, and stopped dead in his tracks. As he watched, he could see Grass with Freewind, and he breathed a sigh of relief.

Gemstone walked outside, looking around curiously. “I thought I heard Freewind, Hawk.” When he nodded, she looked, then stared, wide-eyed as the chariot landed near the house. The filly clambered out and ran to them; the Pegasai attached to the chariot smiled broadly. Sea Grass debarked more sedately and joined them. “So, how is he?” Gemstone asked nervously.

“He’s okay, but he’s not pretty-looking,” her daughter replied. “’Scuse me, gotta get ready for school.” She trotted into the house.

When Gemstone looked at her, Sea Grass said, “He’s hurt, but the Princess has him under the best of care, Gemstone. We all saw him. His eyes and horn were affected by the lightning, but he’s supposed to recover completely, no worse for wear.”

“Why isn’t Honey Bunch with you?” Hawk asked.

“I don’t think she’s coming back, and it’s not because of Verdigris. It’s her father, and his plans.” Grass looked toward the Grange, noting nopony was near it except Patrol ponies. “Oh, did somepony try something?”

“Full Sail tried to claim it. Something about a betrothal promise. I swear, what’s with him? He made it clear he won’t accept Verdigris as a son-in-law one minute, then he’s claiming him the next.” Hawkfeather shook his head, then smiled. “You should have seen his face when I told him ‘No thanks’ on Verdigris’ behalf.”

“They won’t like hearing that,” Grass replied. “I think the stress is getting to him, but how? Nothing’s changed, has it?”

“Not that we’ve heard,” Hawk replied.

Sea Grass looked at Oceanside thoughtfully, then shrugged. “I’ll only mention it when he’s back on his hooves. Oh, yes, he’s supposed to come back in a month or two. He’s got nasty burns, and his feathers were badly charred. He’s lucky to be alive,” she told them solemnly, tears beginning to show in her eyes.

“If I know the Princess, she’ll see to it he’s fine.” Gemstone paused to blink away tears. “If you’re going back, please tell her thank you for us. That’s twice she’s saved him.”

“I will, Gemstone. Since my parents want me to go to college, I’ll be looking around Canterlot. And yes, we’ll be spending time with Verdigris. I can’t promise anything, but I don’t think we’ll have time for, oh, unauthorized activities,” Grass said with a smile. “Celestia’s got her new student taking care of him, and a chaperone gets in the way.”

“I never said ...” Gemstone trailed off in the face of the young mare’s knowing grin. “Oh, all right.”

“He’s not in any shape for more than bed-rest, and we wouldn’t do that to him.” Grass looked back at the chariot. “I’ve got to go. We’ll write and keep you informed.”

“What do we tell Full Sail?” Hawkfeather asked.

“Nothing. That’s Honey’s job, and I’m sure she won’t be nice about it.” She gave them each a hug. “I’ll go, now. Everypony’s got a lot to do today.”

Hawk nodded and trotted toward the Grange as Freewind and Firelance came outside. “Thank you, Sea Grass. You don’t know how much we appreciate it.”

“Have fun, but not too much, Trouble,” Grass told Freewind. “Yes I do, Gemstone. It took this to make me realize how important he is to me. And no, I won’t come between them. I’m not stupid. Or greedy.”

Gemstone looked at her for a long moment, then smiled. “I’m sure he could find time for both of you, if you’re serious. Thanks, Grass. See you later.” She led her foals down the lane, ignoring Grass’ surprised gaze.

“I should have guessed.” She turned and trotted back to the chariot, settled in and said, “I’m ready.” The Sergeants nodded, and they were off.

(((())))

The next four days passed in a semi-routine way, although anypony seeing the circumstances might have boggled. Breakfast was in Twilight’s room, with Grass, Honey and Celestia. Nurse Gentle Heart would feed Verdigris, and there’d be talk and some jokes. While Twilight and the Princess were busy, the Oceanside ponies talked, deliberately but not blatantly avoiding his injuries and how he got them. Gentle Heart had tried to tell him, but he’d stopped her every time, saying he’d take it in when he got the bandages off his face.

After study, Twilight would – between checks on his condition – ask about Oceanside and life along the coast, Verdigris’ family and friends, and any plans he had for the future. When she discovered the Princess had his products, Twilight asked Verdigris about the business, which led to his beach-combing and salvage, then to sailing in general. The evenings passed with more talk, and some reminiscences, followed by dinner with Celestia. During the nights when he wasn’t tired, Twilight would read what she was studying out loud. They didn’t notice when their friendship began, but appreciated it.

(((())))

The day everypony hoped for and dreaded came, and Doctor Blackhoof was there, brought in from Oceanside for that purpose. Not only did he know Verdigris, the young stallion trusted him, as did the others. Twilight accepted him after a good look.

“All right, could you close the curtains, Twilight?” he said, holding a pair of scissors aloft. “Princess, I’d like only one candle nearby, and off to one side.” They nodded and made preparations. Blackhoof had been ill-at-ease at first, but adjusted when he was shown his former patient. Now, all he was concerned with was whether Verdigris had healed-up properly.

“Ready, doctor,” Celestia announced softly as Twilight joined her at a remove.

“Okay, let’s get this over, doc,” Verdigris said nervously.

“All right. Hold still.”

(((())))

Verdigris’ Point of View

Hold still, he said. It’s not his face the scissors are close to. I know I’ve got nothing to worry about, but it always sounds worse than it is. I took a breath, held it and let it go. “Okay, let’s do it.”

There was a pause, then I felt the cold metal slide under the bandages, and the slow, careful cutting began. My skin crawled, and telling myself I’d be okay didn’t help. There's a sharp metal implement on my face, and I'm not using it. I dare anypony to say they’d be calm when that was happening. I controlled my breathing, and used the calming exercises; they helped.

Slowly, the bandages fell away, and Blackhoof said, “Don’t open them right away. I’ll need to clean away the usual secretions that have probably caked up.” Bleah. Wonderful. Never mind I’d been in bed for ten days without a bath. I could smell myself, and couldn’t stand it. That’s how bad it was. I don’t know how doctors and nurses put up with it. I’d go crazy, taking care of ponies day after day. Ugh. Nurse Gentle Heart told me even a sponge bath wasn’t a good idea, as my skin might be over-sensitized by the lightning. If that was the case, I’d probably scream every time I moved, but I could understand. Ponies who survive lightning strikes always had problems, and I was sure I’d be no different.

I felt the bandages move away, and held my hooves still, resisting the urge to scratch. A moment later, I felt a wet washcloth move over my face, circling my eyes. It was taking forever, or so it seemed, and I just wanted it to be over. Let me find out.

“Okay, I want you to open your eyes slowly. If something’s wrong, close them immediately. Understand?” I nodded, and cracked my eyelids open. Well, I tried to. The washcloth came back, cleaning away more gunk, and after a few minutes, I was looking at the most wonderful sight ever: Grass and Honey, gently lit by a single candle, looking at me with smiles and tears. “What do you see?”

“Something I’ll never get tired of seeing, doc.” They closed in and hugged me. Of course I returned it, nuzzling them both. “You two forgive me?” I asked. I was sure they’d been through it with worry.

“This time,” Grass answered. Honey only nodded. When they let go, Celestia came over and nuzzled me. I’m so glad you’re all right, god-son, I heard in my head. She moved away, and I saw Twilight for the first time. Yep, I was right. She had the look of a bookworm, but not plain or wearing glasses. She tentatively hugged me. “How do you feel?” she asked.

“Better. A lot better.”

“Good,” Blackhoof said. “I want you to concentrate on suppressing your magic, Verdigris. I’m taking the inhibitor off.”

I closed my eyes and suppressed a shiver. I hadn’t tried anything since I was told. “Okay, doc.” There was a tingle and slight pressure as the ring rose, and then – Oh, wow. You never notice how much something matters until you can’t use it. I felt their auras, and the magical ambiance, and – I opened my eyes and looked out the balcony door as I telekinetically opened it. There it was, the full moon, and I could feel her watching me. I’d almost swear I felt a sense of relief, and then everything was normal again.

I looked at myself, and there were signs of the lightning strike. Jagged, wandering lines of black ran down my forelegs, and I was sure there were more on my body. I tried to look at my wings, but the angle was bad. Twilight rolled over a large mirror, and I got a good look. I groaned when I saw the damage, and Honey and Grass sighed in sympathy.

My coat was the way it was, but the lines were there, tracing where the lightning’s path had run. My mane was ragged where it had been burned, and I carefully lifted my wings. Ouch, that looks bad, I thought as I saw most of my primaries and about half my secondaries were scorched and curled. My wings were useless until the feathers grew back. “How long?”

“About two or three weeks,” Celestia replied. “The damaged feathers have to fall out before new ones can grow in. I think we can speed the process a little, but not much. You need to regain your strength, first.”

I laid back and closed my eyes, trying not to shake or cry. I may not be beautiful, but I was proud of my wings. They gave me freedom from my cares and worries; when I was in the air, nothing bothered me. Now I had to wait. “O-okay, I guess. When can I get out of bed?”

“We’ll try tomorrow. Do you see any spots or bright patches?”

“No. Everything looks about right. Thanks, doc. And thank you, Twilight. I’ll get out of your mane as soon as I can.”

“It’s okay,” she replied, smiling and blushing slightly. “No hurry.”

“Everything’s gone perfectly. You have an excellent staff, your Highness,” Blackhoof said as he packed up his equipment. “Since you’ve been eating, you’re going to have to use the bathroom again. Don’t try on your own. Get help.”

“Doc, how about I have somepony just watch me? If I need help, I’ll ask, but I want to get back into shape on my own. You ought to know why,” I replied. He nodded. “Okay. What I want right now is a bath. I’m whiff, and I know nopony’s going to mention it.”

“That shouldn’t be a problem. No hotter than you can stand, of course.” He turned to Celestia. “Where am I sleeping, your Highness?”

“Honey and Grass can show you. Twilight, would you continue to help Verdigris? I have to check something,” she said. I thought I saw her expression change to worry briefly, but it might have been the light. I’d have believed that if I hadn’t seen and felt Luna.

“Of course, Princess,” Twilight said. She headed to the bathroom, presumably to start the tub for me.

“Yes, your Highness,” Grass said as she and Honey walked out with Blackhoof.

“You felt her,” Celestia said when we were relatively alone. I nodded. “What was your impression?”

I closed my eyes and looked back. My eyes snapped open when I realized it. “I felt a pang of sympathy, almost like she saw everything in my life. After that, nothing.”

She looked at the balcony thoughtfully. “I wonder. I’ll have to look into it.” She moved to the bed-side and nuzzled me. “I’m glad you’re back, Verdigris, even if not fully. I want you to take your time and be careful. I can count on Twilight to tell me everything,” she said with a slightly mean smile. “You’re meant to be well and whole, not hurt. You did a wonderful job with the Comet, but please, don’t hurt yourself again. I … don’t think I could go through that again.”

I nuzzled her. “Don’t worry. I will. Pain’s a good motivator.”

She smiled, shook her head and walked out, regal as always. About that time Twilight returned. “Okay, I’ve got everything you might need in easy reach. Do you want me to help, or just watch?”

“Just watch. Let me get there, but don’t let me fall, okay?” I carefully rolled over and set my hooves on the floor, using my magic to just float a little. I slowly let my full weight settle onto my legs, and stood there for a few minutes. They felt good, if a little shaky. “All right, here goes.”

I moved slowly, one hoof at a time, making sure I could walk properly, then sped up to a normal walk. I felt a few twinges, but nothing to worry about; the stiffness from lying in bed ten days would soak out. Twilight stood to one side, her horn glowing, but that was all she did. I gave her an appreciative smile, and she blushed. I made it into the bathroom, and within a few minutes I was in a tub full of very warm, almost hot water, and began scrubbing my hide as Twilight perched on a seat nearby, paging through a book. I kept my wings out; I couldn’t do anything with them in a tub, other than make a mess.

“Thanks for letting me do this,” I said. “It means a lot, Twi. You mind if I call you that?”

“No, my brother and Princess Cadance call me that, sometimes.” She stopped pretending to read as the dirt and ash washed out of my coat. I checked in the large mirror as I washed. My coloring was the same, but the lightning traces came out white after the char was gone. I was careful with my horn. I didn’t know if bumping it would hurt, and didn’t want to find out. It was black at the tip, but faded to green at the base. My hooves were also black, thanks to the lightning. “Is that going to be permanent?” she asked.

“I don’t know,” I replied. I looked at myself critically. “It makes me look … I don’t know. Different, for sure, but I’m not sure what else.”

Twilight looked on as I stood and drained the tub, then stepped into and turned on the shower. “That’s probably going to hurt,” she commented as I began preening my wings, and scrubbing my mane and tail. She was right. I hissed as the water struck the follicles, sometimes knocking feathers away. Parts of my mane came away in charred clumps; my tail was a lot shorter, maybe about a foot long. I looked like I’d been in a fight with a young dragon and won. Barely. Any landing you can walk away from is a good one. Too bad I didn’t walk away, I thought.

Once I was done, I let the water run, soaking up the heat, which felt good. Really good. The stiffness and knots loosened up, and I stretched, and I mean every muscle I could feel. Not just to get rid of the stiffness, but to check my mobility and flexibility; I’d heard some ponies lost a lot after a lightning strike, and I wanted to know my limits. The worst way to hurt yourself is to try something you once did easily, but you’re not ready for. I grunted in surprise when I felt an odd pull or two, but they went away as I worked my limbs.

Twilight watched silently, looking for a sign I was overdoing it. I couldn’t blame her; she was as serious as I used to be, and still am, to some extent. She flinched as more burnt, dead feathers dropped free. “Are you sure you’re okay?” she asked.

“It looks worse than it feels. It stings, but it’s a good kind of sting. I just wish I could fly. Sky time always straightens me out, Twi.”

“It still looks bad, Verdi.” She shrugged when I looked at her. “If you can call me Twi, I can call you Verdi.”

I chuckled. “It’s okay. I actually like it.” I turned off the water, and carefully shook the water out of my wings and mane. “Whoa, what a rush,” I said as I felt a little dizzy. Twi watched carefully, but let me alone. “I feel much better.”

“You look better, too.” As I dried off, she tilted her head to one side as she studied me. “Your markings remind me of storm clouds, with the white marks. It looks good,” she added, blushing again. I guess she’d never talked to anypony like this before, and wasn’t sure how. Bookworms tend to be a little awkward, but in her case it was adorable. “What now?”

I thought about it for a moment as I shook out my wings for the last time. I was dry, and felt like myself again. “Well, I’m not really that tired, so I might as well learn what I might have to deal with. Do you have any books about lightning injuries? There isn’t much else I can think of doing. Oh, wait, I’ll have to change the sheets, so I’ll do that first.”

As I walked out, Twilight jumped down and trotted ahead of me, heading for the nearest bookshelf. I found the linen closet and stripped the bed, wrinkling my nose at the now rank sheets. How could she stand this? I wondered, then noticed a familiar scented candle. I had to smile. “Hamper?” She nodded to a small laundry chute. I put on clean sheets – they smelled wonderful – and put the used linens into the chute.

As I settled into a chair with a sigh, a book floated to me. I took it and began reading. Twi settled into a chair beside me, and we spent the rest of the night studying. Well, she did. I think I dropped off twenty seconds later; I barely remember the first paragraph.

(((())))

Third Pony Point of View

Verdigris woke feeling refreshed, if cramped from the chair. The book was on a nearby table with a bookmark inserted where he’d left off. He carefully stretched, then got to his hooves slowly. His muscles complained from the light exertion of washing and stretching the night before, but it was a good feeling. I’m alive, I can walk and I’ll get better. I have nothing to complain about, he thought as he looked around the room.

It was a large, airy suite. He’d had the living area more or less to himself, while Twilight had, to the best of his recollection, stayed mostly in her bedroom, unless they were talking. He looked at the clock; it read seven, but he couldn’t tell what part of the day through the heavy curtains. He walked to the balcony and opened them, blinking at the morning sun as it shone through the glassed doors. Ah, good. It’s morning. I think I’ll go down for breakfast. May as well get used to stairs.

As though his mind had been read, a knock preceded Blackhoof’s voice. “Verdigris? Twilight?” Verdigris opened the door without moving from his vantage, and Blackhoof walked in, followed by Nurse Gentle Heart. “How are you feeling?”

“Not quite ready to run races, but good, doc. Thanks for letting me go my own way. I just can’t sit still any more.”

As he spoke, Gentle Heart walked to the balcony doors and opened them. “Some fresh air will help, and airing the rooms out can’t hurt.”

“Oh, your attempt at subtlety struck with a loud, resounding crash,” he replied with a smile as he stepped out into the morning air. “Everypony’s been bending over backwards not saying it, and you can stop. I know what I smelled like.” The nurse smiled, but said nothing.

“Well, I don’t hear anything different,” Blackhoof said. “Mind if I do a quick examination?” Verdigris nodded, and the doctor retrieved his equipment. After listening to his heart and lungs, he said, “Let’s see the damage to your wings.” After Verdigris spread them, he flinched and made tsk-tsk noises. “You’re luckier than you know. If you hadn’t been soaked, you might have lost them. As it was, it’s only feathers you lost.” He looked curiously at Verdigris’ horn. “That didn’t wash off?”

“No, it didn’t. The same with my hooves, and I think I know why. I took the hit in my horn, and I guess it left through my hooves. The traces go from one to the others,” Verdigris replied. He paused. “I kinda like how they make me look. Like somepony who’s been around the block.”

“They do make you look more masculine,” Gentle Heart said with another smile. “Hmm, are you planning to shave your fetlocks?”

Verdigris looked, and noticed the hair. “No, I don’t think so. It might be fashionable, but I’m from Oceanside. Fashion’s not high on our list. You might as well ask a Griffon to shave his beard. That won’t happen, either.”

“Ponies will talk,” Blackhoof reminded him. “This is Canterlot, not Oceanside.”

“Talk is cheap; candy costs bits,” Verdigris replied, as he had eight-and-a-half years ago, and smiled. “Can’t believe I once said that seriously.”

“Times change,” the doctor replied as he ran a hoof over his legs, checking for anything unusual. “Huh. Except for the obvious damage, you seem to have gotten away unhurt.” He whistled. “And what’s obvious will recover. Well, your wings, certainly. I’m not sure about the hooves, horn and the traces.”

“I know. I shouldn’t have. Like a few years ago. I don’t know what it means, doc, if it means anything.”

Heeyyy, quiet down,” a sleepy voice said as Twilight’s bedroom door opened. She stood there, bleary-eyed, with a bad case of bed mane. She yawned, then asked, “What time is it?”

Verdigris looked, then replied, “About seven-thirty. I think breakfast’s in an hour. Might want to get ready, Twi.” She smiled and nodded, then headed for the bathroom. “I can feel and see why Celestia chose her. She’s something else, doc.”

“The most powerful Unicorn ever, going by the rumors. The Princess wouldn’t waste her time on anypony less.”

“Mom’s not that powerful.”

“Not now, but at that time she was. But you’re right, there’s something about Twilight that’s different. Something special.”

Huh. Mom never mentioned that. I wonder why—well, she never liked to brag, and she seemed happy being a teacher, wife and mother, Verdigris thought. He turned back to the sunrise and closed his eyes, basking in the warmth.

Good morning, god-son. You’re looking much better, Celestia’s voice said in his head.

Horse apples. I look terrible, and I don’t mind it at all. I’m just happy to be alive, he replied. And good morning. He felt her smile.

Very well, but you still look better than when I found you. Coming down for breakfast?

As soon as Twilight’s ready. I like her, god-mother. She’s something special. He felt another smile, then went back inside as Twilight came out of the bathroom, her mane straight and shining, and smelling of lavender. Of course. “Let’s see if I can make myself presentable, and we’ll go. Okay?”

The filly smiled. “Sure.”

(((())))

They arrived a little late; Verdigris took the stairs slowly and carefully. Twilight moved to her usual place, and nodded to the place next to her. Verdigris settled down, ignoring the looks he was getting from the other ponies, especially the white Unicorn across from Twilight.

The stallion gave him an up-and-down glance, and said haughtily, “What is that?”

“This is what being struck by lightning does to you,” Verdigris replied curtly. “Who is that blonde donkey?” he murmured to Twilight as several of the attendees flinched.

“Good morning, Prince Blueblood. This is the Princess’ god-son Verdigris,” she answered by way of introduction.

“I meant ‘what are you’?”

“You’ve never seen an Alicorn? Don’t you see her Highness every day?” Verdigris asked, keeping his expression and tone mildly disinterested.

“We’ve never seen a stallion,” said a lovely pale rose Unicorn mare, who spoke with a Prench accent. She sat beside a white-coated Unicorn stallion. “I am Fleur de Lis. This is Fancypants.”

“Pleased and charmed,” Verdigris replied graciously. He blatantly glanced at Blueblood, and said, “Now I feel somewhat welcome.”

“You’re always welcome, god-son,” Celestia’s voice said as the door opened. Everypony stood until she took her place at the head of the table, then sat as she did. “How are you feeling?”

“Better than I expected,” he replied. “No complaints.”

“Good. Now, while I’m certain everypony is curious about Verdigris, I ask you not bother him with too many questions. He’s had a serious accident, and he’s still recovering. In fact, I strongly suggest you not bother him,” she said, looking directly at Blueblood. “I’m sure none of you would want your recovery made uncomfortable.”

I can take care of myself, Verdigris thought, glancing at her over his menu.

I know, but let’s not alienate all of Canterlot society at once, she replied, her expression serene as she studied hers. This is a test, of sorts. If you need to, you can make excuses that you’re still tired.

“I’ll have my usual,” Twilight told the server, who turned to Verdigris next.

“Hmm, I’ll have the ‘Rustic Breakfast’,” Verdigris said. Some ponies looked at him askance, and he replied, “I’m from Oceanside. We don’t feel a need for any of society’s trappings. It’s wasted there. We’re practical, and we prefer it as such.”

“If I may, why does your name seem familiar?” Fancypants asked.

“My name’s attached to a premium line of beauty products and accessories. Scented soaps, candles, lotions and so forth. I wouldn’t let them use my face, for obvious reasons.”

“What caused your coloring?” Fleur asked. “I have never seen the like.”

Verdigris looked at Celestia for a moment; she looked back steadily. It’s up to you. “I had a serious medical condition when I was three months old. Trotmund-Hoofson Syndrome; mixed parents. I used to have a blue coat and gold mane and tail, and I was lucky to survive. My coloring didn’t matter after that.” Everypony except Celestia gasped and looked away with embarrassment; Twilight looked at him as though studying him. “It’s all right. God-mother Celestia had the doctor give me an infusion of her blood to save my life, so you might understand why I defer to her,” he finished.

“Should we call you your Highness?” Fleur asked.

“No, mademoiselle, I’d rather be struck by lightning again.” Everypony chuckled nervously. “Seriously. All things said, I’m just another sea-side pony. We don’t have any use for what you take for granted.”

The conversations stopped as food began to arrive. Twilight and Verdigris dug into theirs with gusto, which caused a few ponies to look away, their expressions sour. Fancypants and Fleur ignored it, while Blueblood was oblivious.

Twilight glanced at Verdigris occasionally. She was trying to figure out how to ask a question, but couldn’t think of a way to ask politely. How do you ask somepony about his parents without sounding crass? she wondered.

“Verdigris' parents might be known to you,” Celestia said, sparing her student. “Some of you may remember Gemstone, who was my student before Twilight. Others may remember Hawkfeather, who attended the Coast Patrol Academy. They’re both good ponies, and I’m glad to know them.”

“How did you come to be here?” Fancypants asked. “I’ve been to the coast. It’s a long distance.”

“I can’t answer that. I don’t remember anything past seeing the lightning coming at my face.” Several ponies started. “Be careful what you ask. You may not like the answer,” he finished with a weak smile. The doors opened, and Honey Bunch and Sea Grass walked in, ignoring the stares they received.

“You’re late,” Blueblood said stuffily.

Fashionably late,” Fancypants corrected. “Welcome, ladies.”

“Thank you, sir,” Honey Bunch replied.

There was a bobble when the mares stopped and tried to defer to each other for the privilege of sitting next to Verdigris. He solved their dilemma by moving his place to the left. “How obvious are you trying to be?” he asked as they nuzzled him.

“Like it’s not obvious already?” Honey replied. She fiddled with her pendant, making it appear unconscious. “That looks good,” she said as the servers re-appeared. “I’ll have what he’s having.” The server turned to Grass, who said, “The same.”

“And who are these ladies?” Fleur asked gently.

“Oh, my apologies. This is Honey Bunch. Her father is Full Sail, who runs a shipping concern in Oceanside. This is Sea Grass. She’s from an old maritime family. They’re very traditional,” Verdigris replied as he indicated each with a hoof. “We’ve been friends for years.”

“More than friends, in one case, I’d say,” Blueblood said, leering as he glanced at their pendants.

Grass was about to retort when Verdigris picked up his napkin and faked a convincing yawn behind it. “I’m sorry, but I’m still worn out. If I may be excused, god-Dam?”

“Of course, god-son. Recovery takes time.”

As he stood, Fancypants and Fleur stood also. They pointedly didn’t look in Blueblood’s direction. “We have a prior engagement we can’t avoid, Highness. May we?” The stallion in question sneered and chuckled nastily.

“Blueblood, that was uncalled for,” Celestia said in a warning tone.

“Sorry.” His tone made it clear he didn’t mean it. He was rudely surprised when his plate was enveloped in a greenish-grey aura and flew into his face, splattering his crepes all over him. He shook the mess away, and looked angrily at Verdigris, who hadn’t hidden the fact it was his doing. “How rude. What was that for?”

“For your poor grace, Prince,” the Alicorn replied, turning the title into an epithet. “Even I know better. If I’m not required, I won’t be here again. I refuse to break bread with a pony who is a classic example of why breeding is a dirty word.” As the rest of the ponies gasped – Twilight, Honey and Grass refrained from applauding – he turned to Celestia and said, “Sorry about that. Muscle twitch. I’ll just go take a nap. Good morning, god-Dam.” She inclined her head, and Verdigris walked out briskly. Fancypants and Fleur bowed and followed, hard-pressed to keep up with him.

Honey and Grass stood when their food arrived. “If you’ll excuse us, your Highness, we’ll eat in our rooms, where we know we’ll feel welcomed,” Honey Bunch said. Celestia nodded again, her eyes sparkling mischievously. They curtseyed and left. The servers brought covered trays behind them. The doors closed, and an uncomfortable silence fell.

“Blueblood, I warned you. Your behavior belies your title and station. You appear, I’m sorry to say, like a bumpkin trying to pass himself as Royalty, and you’re even failing that.” She sighed. “Nothing more need be said this morning. I have work to catch up on,” she said as a half-dozen scrolls levitated in front of her.

Blueblood looked around in confusion. “What did I do?”

(((())))

“Honestly, why does she put up with that bliffy?” Verdigris said when the other ponies caught up with him. “He might be her blood kin, but seriously. Mom would have back-hoofed me for being that rude.”

“We’re not quite sure,” Fancypants replied. “He’s her...” he trailed off as he thought. “Fifty-second-times-removed nephew.”

“He was removed one time too few,” Honey Bunch growled.

“Honey Bunch!” Grass gasped.

“Not everypony is like him,” Fleur soothed.

“No, they’re not. They acted as though we don’t exist,” Grass said. “If I have to deal with that in college, I’ll be in a foul mood.”

“You shouldn’t. Starswirl made it plain that wouldn’t happen in his school,” Twilight’s voice piped up, surprising them. “What? I’d finished, and I have school work to do. The Princess doesn’t make anypony stay if they don’t want to. Nopony actually socializes at breakfast.”

“I’m afraid that’s true,” Fancypants confirmed. “Breakfast and dinner are mostly for the upper-crust to see and be seen. I don’t often attend, but I’d heard you might be there, and I was curious to see who was attached to the name.”

“I hope you’re not too disappointed. As I said, we coast ponies have other priorities.”

“Will you stop that?” Fleur huffed. “Self-deprecation is not attractive when carried so far, monsieur. It smacks of false modesty.”

“If I’m doing that, you’ll know it,” Verdigris replied before turning to Honey Bunch and Sea Grass. “I’m not really tired, and you two haven’t had breakfast, yet.”

“I know where we can go,” Twilight volunteered. “This way.” They followed her up a level, and were soon on a large promenade overlooking the city. Tables were scattered around the area, including a large conference type. The view was spectacular. “How’s this?” she asked with a smile.

“Perfect,” Honey said as the servants, who’d been following patiently, set her and Grass’ meals out. Everypony sat at the large table, and Twilight made her goodbyes. “What plans do you have?” Honey asked, looking at Verdigris, who was gazing to the south. “Equestria to Verdigris.”

“What? Oh, sorry. Thinking.” He went silent for a few minutes, then said, “No plans, other than whatever therapy Blackhoof has planned. I want to get back to where I was, including flying.”

“May we ask what happened?” Fleur said quietly. “You said you were struck by lightning, but nothing else.”

Verdigris sat there, looking into the distance. “I’ll tell you, but as I said, I don’t know what happened beyond a certain point. The next thing I knew after that was I was here in Canterlot, and I couldn’t see. It might take a while. I’m not over nearly being killed.” He took a deep, calming breath and launched into the tale. Fleur and Fancypants listened politely, only interrupting to ask clarifying questions when he paused. They perched on the edge of their seats unconsciously as he told of the final minutes of the event, cringing as he told them his last thought at the time. After he finished, he sat here, breathing hard, trying to calm down. He hadn’t thought it was that harrowing at the time, but it had been driven out by the frustration of dealing with Dumb Luck.

“It’s not the first time he’s gotten other ponies hurt with his escapades,” Fancypants said when Verdigris finally calmed down. With Honey’s and Grass’ help, of course. “He’s got somepony watching over him, but I’m positive it’s not Celestia. She wouldn’t let her ponies get hurt that way. He’s done some rather remarkably bone-headed things, and come out of them without a scratch. Somepony watches over foals.”

And ships named Enterprise, a familiar voice said in Verdigris’ head. “Uncle Blackwolf?” he said, looking around. A familiar brown and black Pegasus stallion lazily glided down to land near the table as the Alicorn stood. “I thought I’d never see you again,” Verdigris said as his adoptive uncle shook his wings and folded them atop his back.

“I hadn’t planned on returning, but Celestia’s message was quite persuasive,” Blackwolf replied as he began looking over his adoptive nephew. “That must have hurt.” He traced the white streaks, which radiated from Verdigris’ horn to cross his face, passed down his neck, then diverged to cross his body and wind around his legs before ending at his hooves and the base of his tail. “How long are you grounded?”

“Celestia said a few weeks, maybe a month. I’m not going to wait it out very well.”

Blackwolf nodded. “I understand completely, lad.” He turned to the stallion. “Fancypants, you’re looking prosperous, as usual.” He looked at the others. “I don’t believe we’ve been introduced.”

Verdigris took care of introductions. “Uncle, this is Sea Grass and Honey Bunch. We’re very good, very close friends. This is Fleur de Lis. Her accent says she’s from Prance. Prairie, Mademoiselle?”

“Near enough,” she replied with a smile. “Your Prançais is quite good, Verdigris.”

“I had a lot of free time, and languages are always good to learn.”

Blackwolf had been looking at the Oceanside mares, and noted the pendants his “nephew” and Honey Bunch wore. “Just friends?” he asked too neutrally.

“Not for lack of trying,” Honey Bunch replied with an impudent smile, which made Verdigris face-hoof.

“I only asked because of the pendants. May I assume the colours are significant?”

“You may,” Grass replied.

“How long will you be here, ’Wolf?” Fancypants asked.

“Not long. Only enough to hear the latest news. I’ve a lot on my plate, and can’t stay.” He noted Verdigris’ disappointment. “I gave my word, lad. I can’t break it.”

“Breakfast should be over by now,” Fancypants said. “Court should begin,” he glanced at his pocket watch, “in an hour or so. She should be available.”

“Thank you. I’ll try to see you before I leave, Verdigris. Good to meet you all. Au revoir,” Blackwolf said, then turned to walk inside. He stopped when a Guard Pegasus appeared. “Oh, hullo, Blackwing. Is her Highness able to see me?”

“This way,” the Guard replied. “She said somepony was coming.” They disappeared inside.

“Well, the circumstances could have been better, but it was good to meet you, Verdigris,” Fancypants said as he and Fleur stood. “Just out of curiosity, do you plan to have your operations in Canterlot?”

“I think you should speak to the Perfumer’s Guild. All I do is improve the base product we gather in Oceanside.” Verdigris thought. “Although, I probably should open an account here; I’m thinking of attending Canterlot University when I’m old enough, and can move here.” He looked south, his eyes unreadable. “It’s home, but Oceanside and I don’t get along. When you’re different, they treat you like you’ve got mange.”

“Ah, well, I believe I can lay the ground work. We can talk later. Good morning, ladies.” Fancypants and Fleur left.

Sea Grass sighed. “They’re so elegant,” she said.

“They sure are. I guess you can be one of the upper crust and not let it go to your head,” Verdigris replied. They sat there, enjoying the sun and each other’s company, until Blackhoof appeared. “What’s up, doc?”

Blackhoof gave him a look as he joined them. “Please, don’t say that. It sounds like a joke I don’t get.” He took a list out of his coat pocket. “I’ve got your therapy laid out, with the Castle doctor’s help. You’re not going to like it, but you can’t get back to where you were without it.” He passed it to Verdigris, who studied it.

“You’re right, I don’t, and I can’t. I’m more worried about my wings. I couldn’t feel them this morning, and I didn’t sleep on them.”

“Hmm, let me have a look.” Verdigris spread his wings, and Blackhoof took a long, close, critical look. “Some of the follicles were seared closed. We’re going to have to open them up, or the old shaft stubs won’t fall out, and new feathers won’t grow in. I’m not sure about the rest, but we’ll have the castle’s doctor examine them.”

Verdigris sighed. “It’s going to hurt, isn’t it?”

“Yes, it will. If you can’t feel your wings, it’s like being half-blind,” Honey Bunch said. “Thunderstorm once told me he had something like that happen to him. It happened to me, once. A pinched nerve.”

“Why didn’t you tell us?” Verdigris asked.

“It’s kind of embarrassing, and I didn’t want you to fuss over me. That’s why I didn’t fly during that two weeks back in March.”

“Come on, we’re your friends,” Sea Grass said.

“Some things you can’t share,” Honey said as she looked at her plate. “You couldn’t have helped.”

“Well, I’d like you to tell me what to expect,” Verdigris said. “That way I don’t freak out, or hurt myself. Let’s see, I think Uncle Blackwolf would say, ‘Celestia would be quite put out’.”

Y-heh, heh. Yeah, she would,” Sea Grass replied through her chuckles. She sobered and said, “She really loves you, Verdigris. You should have seen her while you were unconscious.”

“I can guess. Sunblur was worse for her than she could say. I can’t imagine what that could be like, trying to save somepony and you end up killing them.” He shivered. “I have got to stop thinking that way.”

Sea Grass stood, walked to his side and laid a wing across his back as she nuzzled him. “It’s okay. If you want to talk, we’ll be here.”

“I - I’m not sure, Grass. It’s starting to hit me just how close I came, and I set myself up for it. I thought I could handle everything life threw at me. Then I got that idiot, and he irritated me so much I completely forgot basic safety procedures. I was stupid,” he said angrily. He relaxed when Grass wrapped her wing around him. “Okay, I’ll stop. It’s going to take time to get over this.”

“Well, you have a month before your feathers are replaced, and then you’d still have to re-learn to fly.” Verdigris looked at Blackhoof in surprise. “You lose wing strength, and some fine control. Don’t be surprised if you end up on your face the first few times.”

“I really don’t want to go through that again. My first landing was bad.” He looked out over the city. “I guess we should start now, if you think I can handle it.”

“We’ll wait until you’re getting around better. It’s going to take a lot out of you.”

(((())))

Celestia sat in her chambers, holding a scroll, and from her expression, she didn’t like what she was reading. She looked out the window pensively. I was hoping this wasn’t the case, but I’m still making the same mistakes. It’s only dumb luck it didn’t end the same as last time, she thought.

She turned her head as hoof-steps approached her door. She concentrated, and recognized Blackwing’s and Blackwolf’s voices. Oh, good, he’s here. I hope he can help. There was a knock. “Come in,” she said, and Blackwolf walked in as Blackwing took his station. “Thank you for coming, Michael.” She stood as he reached her, and hugged him. “I wish I didn’t have to call you away, but I didn’t think I had a choice.”

They sat on the divan nearby, and he shifted to Alicorn form. “What’s the matter?” he asked. She passed him the scroll, and he read it silently, his expression growing concerned. “Is this correct?”

“I’m afraid so. They checked their results twice.” The Princess looked away, out the balcony doors. “I thought he was progressing too fast, but didn’t have a chance to think of how to ask him for samples without making him suspicious.” She chuckled ruefully. “His accident was so convenient,” she said unpleasantly.

“Not everything that happens on Equis is your fault.” Michael stood and walked to the balcony, keeping out of sight of any stray ponies who might look up. “Even this isn’t. You couldn’t have judged the changes in your own power; you’re too close, and have nothing to compare to.” He looked back at her, his eyes filled with compassion. “Are you going to tell him, and when?”

Celestia looked at nothing for a few minutes before softly replying, “I don’t know.”

Author's Note:

A/N: Some questions asked before are about to be answered. You might want to sit down for this.

Acknowledgements: Direct reference to The Regalia by Autumn Wind. It’s still funny, and Celestia’s got her “fun” side. Brief Babylon 5 reference. Brief Loony Tunes reference.