• Published 6th Jan 2017
  • 2,811 Views, 29 Comments

Sonic and Equestria Girls: Legend of Everfree - SonicAKG



Magic at Camp Everfree? Is there something sinister behind it?

  • ...
3
 29
 2,811

Settling in

Sonic, Sunset, and Spike joined the others as they waited around the area near the docks, giving them a perfect view of the lake while Gloriosa was explaining the activities regarding the lake. The students took the time to admire it, as it was completely clean and against the sun, it seemed as if it was sparkling, 'like a diamond' as Rarity would put it.

Well, everyone except for Sonic as he stood back as Sunset and Spike got closer for a better look. He was looking a little nervous. In fact, he was the farthest away from the dock.

"Wow, this looks incredible. I've never seen anything this beautiful." Silver said as he just stared at the lake.

"You're starting to sound like Fluttershy when she's around nature." Rainbow Dash stated with a little laugh.

Silver shrugged. "Granted, I haven't seen that many beautiful things considering where I come from, but I can still appreciate just how great this is."

"You have the right idea, Silver." Rarity agreed. "Can you imagine, the image of the moon shining as the fashion show carries on. It's going to be glorious!" She added with a squeal.

Silver rubbed the back of his head. This wasn't the image he had in mind.

As Fluttershy was feeding the ducks, she turned around and noticed that Sonic was so far away from everyone else. He looked as if he was trying not to be seen as he was slowly tiptoeing backward, but she didn't get that.

"Sonic!" She called out, as he froze and turned to see her calling out to him. He sighed out loud as now he was in the spotlight.

"What are you doing over there? Come join us at the dock." She said as Sonic forced a nervous smile.

"Oh, hehe. I'd love to Fluttershy, but the thing is...I...uh...have..to..." Sonic was saying as his eyes darted around.

"He can't swim. He's afraid of the water." Manic casually said as Sonic shot him an annoyed look while Fluttershy covered her mouth in surprise.

"Thank you, Manic." Sonic answered in a sarcastic tone.

"Come on, Sonic. You can't be afraid of a little water. Scared of getting wet?" Knuckles teased as Rainbow Dash giggled a bit as Sonic gave him a glare.

"Don't start with me Knucklehead."Sonic shot back as he grumbled a bit and kicked the sand as he put his hands in his pockets. This wasn't his best moment.

"Don't you worry!" Gloriosa called out to him. "While you're here, you can have swimming lessons."

Hearing this made some students snicker a bit as Sonic could feel his face turning red with embarrassment.

"No, thanks. I think I'll just stick with my dry land." He answered.

As he did, Twilight slipped and a piece of the dock broke. Luckily she was caught by Timber before she fell in the water.

"Point proven." Sonic added from afar.

Twilight nearly falling had led to some chemistry between her and Timber, which Flash Sentry unfortunately witnessed. Sonic turned left to see him as he was finishing up a talk regarding him and the other Twilight from Equestria. Sonic approached where he was as well and gave him another pat on the back.

"Don't feel bad, man. " He told him as Flash gave him a little dejected look. Just then, Luna began to speak.

"Right now, this dock is too dangerous for anyone to use. I think it's best if we keep it closed." She suggested, making all the students groan and Gloriosa didn't look too happy.

"Oh no, no lake activities. What a shame. I guess we'll have to focus on other stuff." Sonic said in a fake sad tone, which wasn't fooling anyone.
Tails gave him a look, which made him shrug.

"I don't mind patching it up. Anything to make your week of camp the best!" Gloriosa happily offered.

"Or better yet... we can do it! This whole dock looks pretty old anyway. I think I've just figured out our camp gift! We can fix the dock!" Applejack brought up as the campers except for Sonic cheered. So much for avoiding the lake.

"I don't know. I mean, I wouldn't want you guys to be so worried about fixing the dock, you don't get to enjoy your own week." Timber brought up with concern.

Rainbow Dash reassured him, stating it the Wondercolts had a reputation to uphold, which further fueled the student's ambition to fix the dock. Timber didn't seem too pleased, contrary to Gloriosa's attitude, which Sunset noticed.

The students then returned to their table and began to work on ways in order to improve the dock. Tails and Twilight headed to the main development regarding the design and dimensions, while the rest of the Rainbooms and the others suggested further additions. These included a sign, a box to feed the animals and lights even. It sounded like a lot of work but it was sort of exciting as well. Sonic sighed, not too keen on rebuilding it but he didn't want to ruin the mood so he just chimed in as well.

"Let's get building!" Pinkie yelled enthusiastically.

The students then started their own work on the docks as they brought wood or worked on further designs. Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails headed to where Rainbow Dash and Applejack were as they patched up the dock, carrying pieces of wood.

"Okay then, we'll have this fixed in two seconds flat." Sonic said as he laid down his wood and prepared to zip around.

"Remember what Sunset said? No super-powers." Rainbow Dash reminded him as Sonic stopped and he crossed his arms, a bit.

"But then this is going to take forever!" He protested.

"It won't be so bad, Sonic. You can appreciate the value of the time spent in organizing and planning." Tails said as he got to building.

"And a hard days work!" Applejack added as Sonic still didn't seem to keen on working slow.

Knuckles walked past Sonic and set down his pieces of wood on the floor and started to hammer his nail. He then noticed that Sonic was still hesitant to get on the building dock board and he rolled his eyes.

"Sonic, you can't avoid the water forever. Get on here." He told him.

"It could still break." He insisted as he slowly approached the floor.

"Seems sturdy to me." Applejack replied.

Sonic looked and when he saw Knuckles face, he knew he wouldn't let him live it down if he didn't get on the dock. He sighed and began to get to work on it.

Silver had a piece of supplies around and some wood, but he seemed a little lost at what do. He just held the tools in mid-air, not sure which does what exactly.

"Silver, are you okay? You seem a little confused." Sunset asked him as she came next to him with her own supplies.

"Sort of. I mean, I've used my powers for a lot of things, kinda getting used to relying on my hands for once." He admitted.

"Well, there's a first for everything." She said. "I can help you out."
She added as she started to give Silver some advice on how the tools worked.

As Manic, Fluttershy, and Rarity worked on designs for the dock, Shadow was finishing patching his part of the dock before he realized he had run of out nails. He went up to go find some, walking past Twilight, who was chatting with Timber and she saw him. She remembered the last time she had tried to strike up a conversation. Maybe she had come across too strong. She decided it wouldn't hurt maybe to try again.

"Shadow." She called as he turned around, still having an unfriendly face and she started to have second thoughts. "Ummm, do you need any help?"

"I'm fine. You can mind your own business now." He answered quickly.
Twilight looked a little dejected at his cold response. Timber noticed and he frowned a bit as he put his hands on his hips.

"You didn't have too many friends growing up, did you?" He said in a somewhat snarky manner.

Shadow just have him a slight glare before he walked off. Timber then turned to Twilight.

"What's with him?" He asked her.

"I wish I knew." She said in a soft tone as she rubbed her arm.


It was beginning to get dark as the campers worked and around then, they decided it was a good place to stop. Gloriosa then announced that it was now time to tell campfire stories alongside s'mores, much to Pinkie's delight.

Later, when the moon was out, the campers alongside Timber were surrounded by a campfire as Rarity was telling a 'scary' story. Well, at least to her.

"Her dress was purple and burgundy!" She shrieked as she put her hands on her face.

She looked around to see that everyone else just seemed confused or had blank expressions on their faces.

"And then she died?" Silver asked.

"Heavens, no!" Rarity answered. "The story is already scary enough."

Everyone else just exchanged looks and murmured amongst each other, still not getting how the story was meant to be scary. Rarity noticed this and realized that her idea of scary wasn't shared by everyone and it was silent for a while.

"That was... interestin'." Applejack said finally

"Does anyone have a real scary story?" Manic asked as he looked around before his eyes landed on Shadow. "Come on Shadow, I'm pretty sure you're messed up enough to tell a good one."

Shadow responded by shooting Manic an intense glare and he quickly turned away after he noticed it, trying to avoid eye contact.

"I've got one. Fair warning, it's pretty scary, so hug a friend if you're feeling scared." Timber brought up.

Immediately after he said, Pinkie immediately zipped from her seat and wrapped her arms tightly around Shadow, as he grunted due to how tight she was. He fumed a bit as he gave Timber a 'why'd you have to say that?' look while the other campers braced themselves to hear his story.

Timber explained that his great-grandparents had arrived at the forest and decided to build a camp on the land. In doing so, they had earned
the wrath of a nature spirit known as Gaea Everfree, who did not like trespassers. His terrified great-grandparents had managed to convince the spirit to let them build their camp, but she promised that they wouldn't have it forever and she would one day reclaim. The story was doing a good job at scaring most of the campers, especially Fluttershy.

"If you come across a trail of gem dust, know that it belongs to... GAEA EVERFREE!" Timber finished as the students screamed except for Shadow just as Gloriosa emerged from the bushes behind them at that exact moment.

"Sorry, I hope you didn't scare you too much."She apologized after seeing the campers reaction.

"Don't do that!" Sonic yelled.

Sunset looked a little suspicious to Gloriosa as she raised an eyebrow.

"What were you doing out in the forest so late?" She questioned.

"Me? Oh....I was just....taking a night stroll, that's all." Gloriosa nervously and quickly explained. "Anyway, it's pretty late, you should all head to your tents!" She quickly added as Sunset still observed her with a suspicious look. The students then began to get up and head to their tents. Fluttershy was still pretty spooked as she hadn't let go of Spike yet.

"Oh... maybe it wasn't such a good idea to tell that story at night." She whimpered to the others.

"Don't worry, Fluttershy. You've got to nothing to fear if I'm around." Manic said in a confident manner as he placed his arm around her as they walked over.

Suddenly, rustling was heard in the bushes, making Manic quickly get behind Fluttershy. The rustling stopped and two little squirrels came out of it. Fluttershy then turned to Manic, clearly not impressed as she let Spike go on the floor and Manic blushed.

"My hero." She said sarcastically.

"Anyway, there's nothing to be worried about darling, it's only a legend." Rarity brought up.

"You never know. I mean it doesn't sound any crazier than the stuff we've seen." AppleJack reminded her.

"She's right. For all we know, Gaea Everfree is real. Maybe she came from Equestria." Rainbow Dash added.

"I'm hoping she's real. I don't mind a little R and R, but a guy like me needs his dose of action every now and then." Sonic said as he stretched his arms.

"You want there to be some kind of evil nature spirit lurking around?" Knuckles asked.

"Yeah, sounds kind of exciting. Don't tell me you're scared too, Knucklehead?" Sonic teased.

"After today with the docks, I don't think you can rip on anyone for being scared." Knuckles said with a smirk as the others laughed a bit and Sonic became silent and he pouted slightly. Knuckles had a point there and he hated when he was right.

"I hope it's just a myth. After the Friendship Games, I've had enough of crazy out control monsters." Tails said.

Hearing this made Twilight wince as she held her head in shame. Everyone else, including Tails, realized what he had said and he regretted it. All eyes were on Twilight now.

"Oh Tails wasn't talking about you darling, he obviously meant Scourge, right?" Rarity quickly said as she turned back to Tails.

"Y-yeah! That's who I was talking about! Not you." Tails agreed, but it was too late, Twilight got the message.

"Ok. Well, see you guys tomorrow." Twilight said glumly as she headed off without the others to her tent as they watched on.

"Wow, I feel terrible. I didn't know it was still bothering her that much." Tails said with remorse as Sonic put his hand on his shoulder.

"It takes a while to get over something like that, believe me. Twilight still getting in the phase of coming to grips with what happened and is trying to put it behind her. In the meantime, we shouldn't bring it up." Sunset suggested as the others nodded their heads.

"Why not? It's the truth, isn't it? It happened, no amount of denying it won't change that." Shadow suddenly said as now he was the center of attention.

"Well, Twilight's still sensitive about it. We need to consider her feelings." Sunset said as Shadow rolled his eyes.

"Are you serious? Whether she likes it or not, Twilights going to have to deal with the consequences of her actions." Shadow replied.

"I get that. What I'm trying to say is that she needs time to." Sunset explained, but Shadow didn't seem that interested.

"Take it easy, Shadow," Sonic added. Hearing this just made Shadow walk off ahead of the others.

"You're being too lenient." He simply said as he headed to his tent.

"Someone sure is a grumpy bear." Pinkie commented as she and others saw him head out.


The next morning, Sonic yawned loudly as he woke up. He looked around in his tent to see that Knuckles had gotten up earlier than he did and had made his bed. He then rubbed his eyes a bit.

"I can't believe Knux and I actually slept in the same tent and nothing happened. Granted, we were pretty tired from last night." He said to himself before he quickly got ready for the day and then emerged from his tent.

As he was out, he saw Derpy and Sandalwood sailing on the river as Fluttershy was feeding the fishes next to Silver. Sonic frowned a bit.

"I don't care what Gloriosa says, I'm not getting anywhere near that lake." He said to himself as he continued to look around.

Shadow too came out of his tent shortly a bit after Sonic. He covered his face due to the brightness of the sun as he squinted and sighed as he looked around the camp.

"I should've just contacted Rouge and see if maybe G.U.N had some missions for me or something." He said as he crossed his arms and walked ahead.

As he did, he saw Twilight and Sunset who were walking in his direction but they didn't seem to notice. Twilight seemed a little shaken up and Sunset looked as if she was trying to convince her of something, which caught his eye.

"I wonder what could have her so worked up". Shadow thought before he and the two girls heard a loud crash coming from the dock.

They turned to see that Derpy and Sandalwood's boat had smashed itself into the newly built dock as Silver and Fluttershy stood back. Other campers headed to the sight.

"No, I didn't mean to!" Twilight exclaimed with panic, which Shadow heard as he suddenly turned around to her and Twilight with a curious expression.

"Didn't mean to do what?" He asked as he approached her and Sunset.
Twilight realized she had spoken out loud and seemed even more distressed.

"That's not important. We need to see if everyone is alright." Sunset responded

"You can answer me now. What are you talking about? Twilight, why did you say that?" Shadow demanded.

Twilight seemed too panicked to answer as she clutched her hands tightly and Sunset spoke up for her.

"Shadow, not now, okay?!" Sunset firmly insisted as she stared right back at him. Before he could speak, Sonic came and put his arm Sunset and Twilight.

"What are you guys doing over here? We need to make sure no one got hurt." Sonic said as he quickly took the two of them away as Shadow lowered his eyelids a bit and trailed behind.

"Thanks." Sunset whispered as Sonic gave her a wink as now they joined the others to examine the scene.

"What in the heck happened?" Applejack asked.

"When our boat was stuck in the lake, this sudden burst of wind just appeared and pushed us forward." Sandalwood explained.

Hearing this made Twilight form a look of guilt as the students began to chatter amongst themselves as she slowly backed out.

"Aw, man. The dock is ruined." Knuckles complained. "We just fixed it yesterday."

"Guess we'll have to patch it up again." Rainbow Dash said as Manic groaned.

"Oh great, normal people work again." He stated.

"How can you be like that? Without this runway, my fashion show is at stake!" Rarity exclaimed in an overdramatic manner.

"It's a dock and the camp experience is at stake." Silver reminded her.

"That too." Rarity answered as Applejack rolled her eyes due to this.

As the students murmured, Shadow looked in the crowd and he picked up that Twilight wasn't there. He looked around and when he turned back, he saw her heading into the woods.

"Why she's running away? Unless"... Shadow thought.

He looked to make sure everyone else was preoccupied before he discretely began to follow her.

Shadow headed into the forest, looking for signs of Twilight as he walked deeper.

"Where could she have headed to? And more importantly, why did she come here in the first place". Shadow was thinking before he suddenly heard her voice and stopped to hide behind a tree.

Shadow peeked from it to see Twilight sitting down in front of a small pond and she was talking to herself, as if she was trying to reassure herself somehow. Shadow listened further as she did.

"They mustn't see the midnight in me..." Shadow heard her say and his eyes widened a bit as he got behind the tree again.

"Midnight inside her, huh? I knew I was right to be cautious after all. If there’s a risk of her going out of control again, I need to keep an eye her, make sure that doesn’t happen".Shadow decided.

Author's Note:

Edited by Guns R Great.