• Published 2nd Jan 2017
  • 1,090 Views, 51 Comments

Rainbow is Magic Season 2: Disharmony, Disruption, Discord - aceotaku



After thousands of years, DIscord has been freed from his prison! Can Rainbow Dash and her friends save the world from a being who can change reality on a whim!?

  • ...
1
 51
 1,090

Chapter 3: Same as it Never Was

Spike walked through the town, looking around for Rainbow Dash. The town was largely unrecognisable at this point. Buildings floated in the air, or were turned upside down and buried beneath the earth, patches of which had been changed into delicious chocolate sponge cake. Candy floss clouds floated in the air, endlessly pouring rain made out of chocolate milk beneath them. Roads had been turned into slippery, bubbly soap. Once Spike swore he saw a heard of yaks prancing like ballerinas in frilly pink tutus. And he had a feeling that was only the beginning....

The ponies were no better, many screaming in a panic or trying their best to hide, but most had been affected by Discord’s magic in some way, either transformed physically or had their minds effected, as he spied Silver Spoon acting like a dog and chasing after the local mailpony.
Spike sighed as he stepped towards Carousel Boutique, now spinning slowly like an actual carousel, complete with music as he managed to step inside...only to gasp in shock.

Instead of the beautiful Applejack, he saw the craziest pony in town: Rarity, only this time her mane and tail were styled into well crafted curls, her white coat almost sparkling in the light, her face free of the usual bruises and blemishes and strangest of all, she had a cutie mark: a set of three identical diamonds.

But only one thing concerned Spike at that second. “Rarity what are you doing here!?”

“What does it look like darling?” Rarity said in an uncharacteristic high-class accent, flashing a mouth full of white, perfect teeth. “I’m getting the store set up for customers, and I must absolutely look my best for opening day!”

“Shouldn’t Applejack do that, it’s her store after all!” Spike retorted. “Plus, you don’t even like dresses and looking pretty!”

“Whatever are you talking about?” The unicorn frowned. “Are you somehow sick, or perhaps you have a concussion? Oh darling you should see FLuttershy about that...”

“Where’s Applebloom? Or Strongheart?” Spike looked around fretfully. “They can talk some sense into you!”

“Darling, I have lived here for years, you know this; Applebloom should be on the farm with that boorish mare Applejack.” She huffed. “Though I don’t see what you need them for, they’re a rather...uncivilised family.”

“You take that back right now.” The dragon said icily through clenched teeth, his small hands balled into fists. “Applejack is a beautiful mare and a perfect lady, she and Fluttershy both. How can you even talk about your friend like that!?”

“Hmm?” Rarity raised a brow. “I don’t have many friends, darling, I am FAR too busy with fashion!”

Spike huffed and turned away. “Fine, I won’t make any progress here...” He turned once more are Rarity. “And stop saying ‘darling’ so much!” He stormed out of the building, slamming the door shut behind him.

“what’s eating him up?” Sweetie Belle said, in the form of a mannequin holding a dress Rarity started work on.

------------------------------------

Spike walked to the farm, fire in his eyes, anger clouding his judgement. He couldn’t believe what Rarity said, how could she say those things about Applejack? He didn’t even believe he’d find her at the farm, why would he? Applejack hated her family, absolutely despised farm work. There’s no way such a delicate, principled mare would...

He froze, eyes widening as he saw one of the two mares he loved above else, who would make his heart flutter and feel warm....kicking at a pair of large trees growing out beside the Apple Family farm house.

“Applejack...?” Spike muttered in confusion as he stepped forward.

“Howdy!” The mare smiled, stopping her labour as she trotted over, wearing only a brown Stetson hat upon her hat, rather than her usual stylish attire. “What brings ya over ta Sweet Apple Acres, pardner?”

Spike slumped. “Not you too...” He gulped and tried to compose himself. “Listen, AJ, something bad’s going down. We need to get Rainbow and figure out how to stop Discord. He’s done...something to you...to..to ALL of you maybe and we need to fix it...and Equestria too for that matter!”

“Sugarcube, ya’ll talking crazy!” Applejack tilted her head with a wry chuckle. “Everythin’ seems fine an’ dandy ta me!”

“But it’s not!” Spike cried out. “You’re supposed to hate it here! Where’s your mom and your dad, hay not to mention your granny, your sister and...I’d say brother, but honestly Big Mac confuses me these days.”

“Sugarcube, Ah run this farm all by mah lonesome, jus me, these trees and the cows.” The earth mare smiled deprecatingly. “Eeeyup,way too busy fer friends, gets a little lonely ta be honest, but a job needs ta be done...”

Spike stared up at her. “What do you mean all by your...?” He stopped, realisation hitting him. His face paled as he turned his eyes to look at the apple trees, which now that he thought about it didn’t remember seeing this close to the house before. “N-no way...h-he couldn’t...h-he wouldn’t have...”

The trees blinked at him, both raising their brows, initials carved into their trunks: H.C. and J.A.

Spike cupped his hand to his mouth, shivering in horror.

“Sugarcube?” Applejack asked, perturbed by the dragon’s sudden reaction. “Ya’ll okay...?”

There was a moo and Spike turned...seeing a pair of cows, one with a long blonde mane and the other with a pink bow and a red mane.

“I...I gotta...I gotta see if she’s alright!” Spike screamed and ran out, away from the farm, tears in his eyes.

“Little fella sure is highstrung...” Applejack tutted and shook her head. “Needs a more active lifestyle, like me, Ah reckon.”

-------------------

Applejack was fine, but what about her? Was Fluttershy okay? Or was she like the other Apples, twisted into something even more unrecognisable...?

Spike was terrified by the thought. He had to find out. He had to save at least ONE of them.

He ran at the cottage as fast as he could, desperately knocking at the door.

There was no answer.

He knocked again, harder this time. “Fluttershy! Fluttershy please, let me in! It’s me, it’s Spike!” He started crying. “Please recognise me! Please be okay!”

“G....go away...” A timid voice spoke quietly, almost too quietly to hear.

“W-what...?” Spike froze. “F-Fluttershy...?”

“Go away please...I-I just want to be left alone...I-Idon’t want to bother anyone....”

“Fluttershy what are you saying...?” Spike shook his head, tears forming. “C-come on, it’s me, we’re friends, right?”

“No...I-I don’t have any friends...I-I’m j-j-just a bother to everyone s-so I-I’ll just stay here out of everypony’s way....”

“No don’t say that!” Spike shouted. “This isn’t you! You...you’re so full life and joy! You LOVE meeting and talking to ponies, you love talking about animals a-a-and having fun a-a-and you’re so pretty and wonderful and...”

“No I don’t. No I’m not. I-I-I-I’m none of those things.” A soft, fearful whimper rang out. “G-G-G-go a-a-a-away...p-p-please...”

Spike couldn’t stop it as his tears flowed down his cheeks. “N-No...F-Fluttershy....Fluttershy listen to me...”

There was no more reply, only timid whimpering.

Spike’s mouth felt dry, his blood ran colder than usual, his body felt heavy and sluggish.

Was that it? Was he the only one left?

He gritted his teeth, crying, mind playing over the wonderful (and not so wonderful) times he had with everyone, and now he could feel those times ending. All his and Rainbow’s friends were...were effectively dead, replaced by strangers, strangers who wanted nothing to do with them.

A shudder ran through his body as he considered checking on Pinkamena...and remembering that as bad as she normally is, then he had no desire what she’d be like NOW.

He heard a noise, catching his attention as looked up towards it.

A rainbow trail flying across the sky. It had to be her. It had to be the one pony who had ALWAYS been beside him, who always shared so much with him, who always took care of him and he in turn took care of her.

His best friend, his only real family.

The mare who hatched him.

The Element of Magic.

He got up, running towards her as he shouted. “Hey! Hey! Rainbow down here! Rainbow!”

The mare glanced at him and smirked, landing on the ground in front of him. “Oh hey shortstuff, ‘sup? You a fan?”

“What? No!” Spike frowned, giving the Pegasus his serious face. “Everything’s gone crazy here! We need you, Rainbow, ya gotta fix things! D-Don’t you remember...?”

“Uh, dude, I’d think I’d remember somebody like you.” Rainbow smirked cockily. “So is it an autograph you want or...?”

“Listen to me!” Spike snapped, grabbing Rainbow’s hoof tightly. “Discord’s ruining everything, just look around! Ponyville isn’t supposed to be like this, you’re supposed to be with your friends fixing this! Come with me back to the library, maybe there’s a book in there that didn’t escape that could maybe help us out here or...”

He was interrupted as Rainbow Dash pushed him off her. “Hey, hand’s off the merchandise! Look, libraries are for eggheads and losers, and I ain’t either! I’m an awesome flier who’s gonna be in the Wonderbolts, I don’t have time to play with crazy lizards or make friends! Now, just let me practice my flying!” She turned, leaping into the air, only for Spike to grip onto her tail and be lifted into the air behind her.

“Rainbow, please, listen to me!” Spike said as tears flowed heavily down his cheek. “We’re family, you’ve been with me from the beginning! You’re the smartest, nicest, strongest pony I know; you can’t let Discord win!”

Rainbow grunted in annoyance, glaring at the dragon. “You’re weighing me down! BUZZ OFF!”

With that, he struck Spike as hard as she could, knocking him off and sending him to the ground, his tear filled eyes gazing up at her in betrayal and shock as he fell towards the ground.

The mare froze, pale. “H-hey I-I didn’t mean to hit him TOO hard b-but...” She winced as he crashed into the ground. “I...I should probably check to see if he’s okay...”

“Don’t bother.” A voice said in her head. “he doesn’t mean anything. We gotta focus on flying, getting faster, getting better, more awesome, we don’t got time for anyone else.”

Rainbow froze, biting her lip, imagining the many trophies and accolades in her future...the Wonderbolts uniform worn proudly on her body....the crowds of cheering fans as she won ALL the races and awards...

She looked down at the battered, crying baby dragon lying in the ground, bruises fresh on his face from where she kicked him.

She knew what she needed to do.

“No!” The voice grew more insistent, shouting in her mind. “Listen to me! You don’t need to help him!”

Rainbow Dash flew down, standing at the purple dragon’s side, carefully lifting him up and holding him under her right foreleg.
“You’re too awesome for this!” The voice screamed.

“Awesome mares don’t hurt their fans.” Rainbow muttered and flew off, barely noticing the voice vanish from her mind entirely with an echoing scream.

Rainbow soon flew to the nearest hospital, stepping inside, eyes widening as she found herself in a packed stadium overlooking a marathon race.

“WHAT.” Rainbow leaned her head back, eyes wide in disbelief as she backed out and then looked around herself, hoping for some explanation. What she saw was floating buildings, chocolate rain, a screaming sun with the ugliest face she ever seen, ponds and lakes and rivers pouring upwards into the sky and a tiny Chihuahua.

“MADNESSSSS!” She screamed in horror. “MADNESSSSSS!”

“Hey could you keep it down, my ears are ringing and my head kinda hurts...”

Rainbow gasped, holding spike up in her hoofs to face her. “You! Tell me what’s going on RIGHT NOW! What happened to Ponyville!?”

Spike chuckled lightly. “You finally noticed, huh...? Took you long enough...s-slowpoke.”

“Not now, Spike, tell me what’s going on or...?” She blinked. “Wait. How the HAY do I know your name?”

“You named me after all, you of all ponies should know it....”

“W-what are you talking about I...?”

---------------------------

She was standing in a room, ponies looking at her from all sides, but she didn’t notice them, or hear the exact words as a stallion spoke.

All she noticed was the tiny, purple dragon gazing up at her with wide eyes.

It was so small and...cute. So tiny and fragile looking.

She made this. She hatched the egg. She wrapped him as gently as she could in her wings, too scared to hold him in her hooves.

Somepony tried to take him from her, but she wouldn’t let them. She had to keep him safe. He was her responsibility. She noticed he had what look like little, blunt green spikes growing along his back.

She decided to name him Spike.

---------------------------------

Rainbow rubbed at her head with her wing as the flashback faded. She looked at Spike, tears in her eyes. “I...I named you....I..Oh Celestia...I-I hurt you, I’m sorry!”

Spike shrugged, smirking weakly. “Hey, no big deal,you weren’t yourself at the time.”

“I vowed to protect you and instead I kicked you in the face!” Rainbow argued. “I...Oh gosh how could I forget you...h-how come I don’t remember...”

“You still don’t remember everything...?” Spike frowned sadly.

“I remember I hatched you....I remember I named you...I remember my promise to keep you safe...” Rainbow began crying. “I...I don’t remember anything else...I..I...Spike, Spike what is wrong with me? First I couldn’t see what was happenin’ in Equestria, now this? Tell me what’s been going on!”

“Discord.” Spike utterly solemnly. “He was some monster Celestia fought a thousand years ago, and now he’s back and turning Equestria into his personal playpen. He...he used his powers on you and your friends...you forgot everything, not only that but your personalities changed, your memories...and you couldn’t see what he was doing, even though it was right in front of you...”

Rainbow growled.”That...that freak! I’m gonna find him and buck him in the face!”

“Don’t! He’s WAY to powerful for that! We need the Elements of Harmony, that’s the only way we can stop him!”

“Elements of whatnow?”

Spike rolled his eyes, sighing. “The Elements of Harmony, powerful magical artifacts that the Princesses used to protect Equestria. You and our friends are bonded to them, so we need all six of you to save the world.”

“Um save the world, that’s kinda heavy isn’t it?”

Spike shrugged.”Eh, we did it once before, granted we weren’t set back nearly as much as now. Plus physics still worked, which was a plus.”
Rainbow knotted her brows in thought. “You said he...changed our personalities? So what, I’m not the fastest flyer in Ponyville?”

The dragon grinned. “Oh no. You’re WAY more awesome than that!”

----------------------------------

The pair trotted along the mountain path, far enough away it was hard to call it officially part of Ponyille, which suited the needs and wants of the sole person living up here just fine.

“Whoah, whoah, whoah, hold on, hold on one sec.” Rainbow held up her wing in a ‘hold’ gesture as Spike sat on her back. “I can do MAGIC!? Like, like UNICORN magic, not just weather stuff?”

“uh-huh, it’s how you hatched me, you graduated near the top of your class in magic school. Heck, you mainly got into reading because you love learning magic in the first place!”

“No way, you’re joshing me!” She smirked. “No way could I POSSIBLY do magic. I’m a Pegasus for crying out loud!”

“Yeah well, lots of ponies said that, still didn’t stop you.” He frowned as they neared the rock farm. “Be careful Rainbow, Pinkamena’s not exactly the...friendliest of ponies. She’s littered traps everywhere.”

Rainbow frowned, paling at his words as she looked around carefully, trotting as carefully as she could. “You sure this is a good idea...?”

“Not at all.” Spike answered bluntly. “Truthfully, I’d rather avoid this place altogether, but Pinkamena’s the Element of Honesty, she’s pretty much probably our best bet to helping fix things. And she really is the most honest pony we know, even if she’s not the nicest or most helpful.”

Rainbow looked around as they walked to the only building in the empty, rocky field: a small thatched roof house. She looked it over as she trotted close to it, raising a hoof to the door.

“Okay...here goes nothing...”

Before she could knock, the door swung open, revealing a grinning pink pony. “Hi! I’m Pinkie Pie! Are you ready to party!?”

Spike gaped. “P-Pinkamena!?”

The pinkmare giggled. “Oh, silly, I’m Pinkie! Everypony knows that! Come in and enjoy the party!”

She pulled the pair inside, making them yelp from the suddenness, finding that inside the living room was filled with party streamers, balloons and confetti littered the floor. On a nearby table sat a heavily iced cake, and on the wall was a ‘pin the tail on the pony’ game.

Spike’s eyes widened at the scene. “Dear Celestia...it was way worse than I thought or expected...”

Rainbow looked at the grinning mare, placing her hooves on her shoulders. “Listen! We don’t have time for this, we have to gather everypony together to use the Helmets of Armoury”

“Elements of Harmony.” Spike interrupted.

“Fine, Elements of Harmony, whatever.” Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Point is, Equestria’s going to Tarturus, and we think you might be able to help, you’re supposed to be honest!”

Spike nods. “I think, as the Element of Honesty, you’d be most likely to fight back against Discord’s control...” He looked around at the childishly furnished house. “Um, well at least I thought so...but now I’m not so sure...”

“You mean this isn’t normal for her...” Rainbow asked, her ears lowering.

The dragon shook his head. “not by a longshot. In fact, if anything, she’d be the FIRST one to not like this.”

“oh don’t be so silly!” Pinkie cheered. “Parties and games and songs are so much fun, there’s no way I’d be a fuddy-duddy and not like it!” She spread her hooves high in the air.

Rainbow frowned, tilting her head. “Are you...crying...?”

Pinkie tilted her head, as if confused by the statement, but indeed Rainbow was right; despite her huge smile and cheerful tone, her face was marred by streaks of dried tears even as fresh streams of the stuff flowed down from her eyes, and even her green looked more shaky and forced. Most tellingly though, were her eyes, which did not share the mirth of her smile and voice, but instead looked pleading and terrified. “I’m not crying, I’m happy! Why would I be crying?”

“Because this isn’t you!” Spike retorted. “You’re under some kind of freaky spell or something that’s making you act like this!”

“That’s a pretty funny joke!” The mare laughed, even as more tears fell down her face, soon she fell to her knees, alternating between laughter and sobbing. “So...f-funny...I...I can’t...h-help me...I-I’m sorry...h...help...”

Rainbow stared, dumbfounding at the pink mare’s seeming insanity, but she trotted over, laying a reassuring hoof on the girl’s shoulder. “Uh...there, there...w-we’ll find a way to fix this...”

Spike peered through the window, eyes widening. “Uh Rainbow I think we need to get out of here!”

Both mares looked up at the dragon. “Uh, why?”

“Don’t question it, just get out!”

The dragon leapt at the air as what sounded like a stampede approached.

There was no time, as a literal stamped of rocks pounded through the house, demolishing it. Boulders, pebbles, jaspers, rose quartz, emeralds, even diamonds and metals like gold, all ounded over ruthlessly, flattening the already barren looking farm, setting off all the traps Pinkamena had set up through the year.

Rainbow looked up, surrised she wasn’t dead. Her irises narrowed to pinpricks as her eyes widened in awe. Around the three of them stood a sturdy, magical barrier, rainbow in colour. The Pegasus looked down, seeing her wings were glowing much like a unicorn’s horn would while performing magic.

“I’m...I’m doing magic...” She muttered in disbelief, a huge grin soon forming on her face. “I..I’m magic! Spike look, I’m...!”

Her statement was cut shortas she turned and saw Spike standing a few inches across from the side of Pinkamena, who was still on her haunches as she overlooked the wreckage of her home, a wide grin still on her face.

“M...My home...” She chuckled. “All gone...my farm is gone...m-my family...a-and I’m STILL laughing and smiling! Isn’t that a RIOT!? I’m trapped in a living nightmare! I know this isn’t me, this isn’t how I act, BUT I JUST CAN’T STOP! I can’t stop thinking of songs in constant, cheerful loops in my head! I can’t stop hankering for sweets even though I hate candy! I...I can’t stop thinking about laying silly games for foals o-or making a party for everyone and...I CAN’T STOP SMILING NO MATTER HOW SAD OR ANGRY OR SCARED I AM!” She turned to Rainbow Dash, laughing loudly. “I KNOW THIS IS WRONG BUT I JUST CAN’T STOP LAUGHING! FIX ME, RAINBOW DASH! I DON’T WANT THIS!” She collased on her back, panting. “And soon the magic will make me shut up and only talk about parties again...this is TARTARUS, I’m in Tartarus...”

Rainbow pulled the pink mare on her back, trying to fight back tears of her own as she grit her teeth. “This is way worse than I thought...Spike, what’s the next step?”

The dragon nodded solemnly. “We gather everypony, drag them if we have to, and try to figure out where Discord hid the elements...that’s the only thing I can think of to fix...everything. I’ll be honest though, it’s a longshot....”

“It’s not very likely, and worst case it doesn’t work at all and everypony is doomed!” PInkamena added with a laugh. “But at least everything’ll be FUN!”

Rainbow shook her head. “Then we’ll just have to bet on the longshot...it’s the only plan we got.”

---------------------

Discord reclined in a spa that hung upside down in the air, ice lava in place of water and chirping yellow birds in place of bubbles. He sighed contentedly, leased with himself.

“Hey buddy!”

Discord smirked as he looked at his newfound ‘friend’. “Why, Doctor, it’s a pleasure to see you again. How was your day?”

“Fun!” Dr Prankie Pie grinned. “The princesses were a RIOT! So striaghtlaced and serious! It’s a shame they can’t chase me anymore, the rabbit’s too busy trying to push the whale somewhere, I’m guessing an ocean.” She shrugged. “Oh well! You don’t mind if I go mess with Ponyville for a while, do ya? I’d like to settle some scores there before you inevitably but suddenly betray me!”

Discord chuckled. “Oh no, go ahead, I more than anyone understand the satisfaction of some personally laid revenge.” He gave wicked grin. “Have fun, my good Doctor.”

Author's Note:

Here we go, finally completed this chapter.

This chapter may have focused on the mane six a bit much, but it does serve to highlight Discord’s darker nature pre-reformation, where anything was allowed in the name of personal enjoyment, regardless of the harm he brought.

This WOULD have been the final chapter, but it was getting rather longish for this story plus I felt it would’ve been a bit TOO short to end this here.

Hope you all enjoyed and lease comment, as comments help inspire me to continue. Next time, well, we’ll see what happens.