• Published 2nd Jan 2017
  • 1,083 Views, 51 Comments

Rainbow is Magic Season 2: Disharmony, Disruption, Discord - aceotaku



After thousands of years, DIscord has been freed from his prison! Can Rainbow Dash and her friends save the world from a being who can change reality on a whim!?

  • ...
1
 51
 1,083

Prologue

Four thousand years ago....

Moonlit Night sat near a stack of books, face buried deep in a particularly thick tome as her eyes scanned the words written by her mother’s horn. The journal collected her mother’s spells, as well as her firsthoof account of the creation of her fledgling nation’s most powerful artifacts.

She turned as her younger sister, Sunny Days, scampered into the room, eyes wide with fright. “Moonie, come quick! S-Something really bad is happening!”

Moonlit frowned in concern, getting up she set the book aside andstrode to her sister, stroking her hoof through the younger mare’s mane. “What is it, Sunny? What has you so frightened?”

“A-A monster j-just came in a-and attacked the city...th-the guards were powerless against him!” The white pegasus looked down, her long yellow mane draping down to her knees. “I...I don’t know what to do...”

Moonlit frowned sternly, holding her sister protectively. “Our mothers are gone...it is up to us to protect our kingdom, now come sister, it is time we collected our inheritance early.”

She walked out of her room, Sunny Days hurriedly chasing after her “W-what do you mean!? W-where are you going....?”

Moonlit trotted into a room beside hers, within it lay six round stones sitting on a silk cushion under a glass case atop a marble altar.

“Our mothers left these behind so future generations can protect themselves...” Moonlit Night explained solemnly, the purple, blue-maned unicorn gazing at her sibling. “Tell me more about this ‘monster’...”

-------------------------

“Oh, no no no no no no!” The strange being scolded, wagging a finger in the air as he stood before a full orchestra. Said orchestra were merely instruments, but swirling eyes in a trance betrayed that which they once were. “G-minor, not D-flat! Now, once more from the top!”

“Halt this at once, beast!”

The Spirit of Chaos sighed in exasperation, turning to look at who was interrupting him. “Can’t you see I’m busy? And shouldn’t you be dancing in the street or something?”

“Identify yourself!” Moonlit demanded, marching toward the Spirit while her sister timidly followed. “I am Princess Moonlit Night and this is my sister Princess Sunny Days, we are the heirs of Queen Platinum and Knight-Commander Pansy, and we are the rulers of these lands and these ponies!”

“Oh, so this is your doing, eh?” He waved his hand dismissively. “Ugh, such a lack of imagination. I go to sleep for a few centuries, and when I wake up some new species manage to raise itself up and build a new society! My beautiful chaos replaced with...well not order but...something...something just as dull!”

“Wh-who are you...?” Sunny said, hugging tightly to her sister’s leg.

Moonlit looked at her sister in concern. “Do not fear Sunny...whatever this creature is, he cannot harm us, not as long as we hold the Elements.”

The Spirit spun in the air clutching his chest as she started guffawing. “Oh! Oh that’s rich! Y-you think some weapon or spell you cooked up can...can PROTECT you! From ME!” He laughed harder before recomposing himself. “Dear, I’m Discord, Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony, Shaper of Madness, Fixer of Ruins, Ruiner of Fixed Things and in general a powerful guy.” He grinned, tapping a baton in the air. “Allow me to sing about it...”

Moonlit frowned as pink clouds formed in the air, raining clocks in slow motion upon the town, the orchestra beginning to play music as Discord closed eyes and put his hand to his chest, beginning to sing. At that moment, Luna pulled Sunny close and closed her own eyes, concentrating on the shape of the city before this....Discord character altered everything. She focused on her love for her sister, the honesty of their bond in the wake of their parents’ demise and the generosity she felt for her subjects, willing to do anything to protect as her parents had.

Sunny thought on the laughter they shared as a family, the kindness she felt on wanting to help everypony no matter what and the loyalty she felt to her sister.

A whirl of magic surrounded them as the stone orbs shattered, revealing ornate gemstones, the magic flying through the sisters as it whirled in a spiral before launching towards the distracted monster. Discord didn’t even notice as he was turned to stone and his magic was undone, returning the ponies to their original states.

“W-what...happened...?” A Pegasus wondered.

“Who...who saved us...?” An earth pony asked as all eyes turned to their savours.

Standing several feet tall over everypony were a pair of regal looking beings. They resembled ponies but had more elegant, taller bodies and sported both wings and a horn. Emblazoned on their flanks were a blazing sun and a crescent moon half hidden in a starry sky, respectively. Their manes sparkled like jewels and wafted in their majestically.

Sunny gaped at herself in shock, looking over her altered body this way and that. “S-sister...? W-what happened to us...?”

“I...” Moonlit began, licking her dry lips. “I...I am uncertain...”

“They must be celestials, beings from above sent to protect and govern us!” One of the surrounding ponies exclaimed.

“Now hold on!” Moonlit began. “We are no different from you...”

She was interrupted as her sister was pulled away as several ponies lead her down the streets, Sunny giving her sister a startled, lost expression of both fear and confusion.

Moonlit frowned and followed after her, knowing her sister would need her to figure things out with her, though she was just as lost as she was. With a sudden realisation, she turned to where she had left the Elements.

The Elements had returned to the form of large, stone orbs, inert and bereft of magic. Several feet ahead, forgotten and ignored by the revelers was the statue of Discord, the Spirit of Chaos.

--------------------

Present Day, Equestria

Princess Celestia looked over a collection of paintings, tears at the corner of her eyes as she remembered the past. She gazed at one painting in particular: this one showed a beautiful white unicorn mare wearing a silken dress as she stood beside a shy but smiling pegasus mare wearing knightly armour, between the two of them were a pair of fillies happily frolicking.

“What would you think of us, mother, father...?” Celestia wondered aloud, tears in her eyes. “I never asked for any of this, I just wanted to save our home, I was so scared... Luna always knew what to do, she was always so smart and brave, unlike me...but everypony forgot you...forgot US...” She shivered. “I just wanted to grow flowers....I can’t rule a nation...I COULDN’T...”

“I know not why we became what we are sister.” Luna spoke, walking towards her sibling. “Our new life was bestowed upon us for a reason, and like it or not, we have a job to do as successors to our parents will. Thinking in circles and wallowing in regret will get us nowhere...” Luna walked over, wrapping a hoof over her younger sister’s shoulder, unused to being smaller than her.

“I’m sorry, Luna...I know...” Celestia looked at the smaller Princess. “I just...I miss everything...mother’s warm, gentle touch....father’s kind smile....Uncle Puddinghead’s joyous laughter...your protective hoof...” She sighed. “Even after all this years, even when I try to hide behind this mask...I will always just be a scared filly needing her big sister’s help.”

“I am here my beloved sister.” Luna nuzzled Celestia’s foreleg gently. “As are father and mother. They will always be with us, and they are proud of us, I’m sure of it.”

“I know...” Celestia closed her eyes, smiling wistfully. “Neither of us are alone.”

---------------------

In the Canterlot gardens stood a statue. It was a bizarre, foreboding thing, carved in the shape of a creature with a goat’s head, two mismatched and twisted horns, an eagle’s talon, a lion’s paw, a dragon’s scaled torso, a snake’s tail, a donkey’s hoof, a feathered wing and a leathery, bat-like wing. When asked what it was supposed to be, Princess Celestia stated it was ‘Discord’ and forbade anyone from touching it or getting near it, placing it at the centre of the no longer used hedge maze.

A grey earth pony hopped up the statue, sporting a manic grin and holding up a hammer.

“Let’s see what this guy can do!” Dr Prankie Pie, prankster pony and sister of Element of Honesty PInkamena Pie, grinned with a chuckle, hefting her mallet high. She was currently transmogrified so her hooves ended in weird, balloon-like ‘fingers’.

However, as she struck home right on the snake tail, the statue started to began to crack apart and a dark, ominous laugh filled the air.

Author's Note:

Howdy all! Here’s the start of a brand new Rainbow is Magic story! Featuring everyone’s favourite oddball draconeques, Discord.

Word of warning: this Discord is not gonna be presented sympathetically and is not supposed to have any redeeming qualities, so forget that. If you don’t like that, you won’t enjoy this story, so don’t read it. Otherwise, you’re good to go.

Being a prologue, not much goes on, but I did always want to show that flashback at the beginning.

This story has been a LONG time in planning, so I hope you all enjoy it, and please comment!