• Published 2nd Jan 2017
  • 1,267 Views, 139 Comments

Pinkie Explores the Dark - David Silver



You are Pinkie Pie. You are about seven to twelve summers old, you never really kept super strict count of that. You spot a creepy house just outside your farmland and decide to have a little peek. -- Readers make the shots, this is a CYOA type story

  • ...
5
 139
 1,267

5 - Stairs

You turn back towards the rest of the basement and approach one of those boxes. You're certain it must have awesome things in it. Shame it's all nailed shut.

"She put those down here years ago," sighs out the filly.

You don't want to give up that easily. You grab the edge of the crate and give it a mighty heave with a little growl, but it's really not moving. And that's when you feel silly. You see a hammer hanging right there on the wall!

You bounce up onto a table and snatch it off the wall without a problem, then fall back to the box. Wedging the pointy bit between the wood planks, you pull and twist and work that thing like crazy until it pops open with an unfortunately loud crack.

You hear her, "Are you down in the basement?!"

Heart suddenly racing, you pull open the box a little, just enough for you to fit in, and hop inside, then pull it down back into place, silently hoping that she won't notice the damage, or you.

You can see her light swaying from the crack in the box you left behind. "Is that you? Turn off that light!" The lighting changes subtly and you can hear the flame of the furnace die down to nothing. "You're on thin ice, filly. You think I can't punish you now? Think again! Try me one more time..."

There is a silent pause before the swaying light begins to depart. You can hear her old hooves on the steps as she makes her exit.

Once you're sure she's long gone, you carefully lift the lid back up.

"You're on your own," warns the filly. "I don't dare make light again."

Well, shoot. You reach around in the box, searching without any light to work with. You find something. It's rectangular and a little heavy. Exploring it with your hooves, you feel certain it's a picture frame. You're not sure what that'll be good for, but you tuck it away in your hair just in case. It feels important.

In that darkness, you slip out of the box, pull the lid back down, and make for the stairs. You end up following that old mare's scent. It's like a bunch of flowers that someone left out for too long, pungent and sharp. Still, it leads you to the stairs and you start ascending carefully. "I'll be back," you whisper as you go.

"Don't," replies the ghost filly simply. "Get away, please."

You can't think of more to say to her just that moment, you instead emerge from the basement into the gloom, though still lighter than the basement, kitchen.

You hear sniffling. You follow the sound, that faint noise, to a cupboard and pull it open to reveal the colt, curled up on the far side. There are a few plates in there with him, but they look long unused.

He looks up sharply when his hiding place opens up, but the fear in his eyes recedes a little when he realizes it's you. "You're... alright?"

You bob your head quickly. "Your sister helped."

He gave the saddest little smile. "I knew she could be..."

The way he said that... "Isn't she usually nice?"

He shook his head quickly. "Oh no! That's why she... why... Mom didn't do that for nothing." He put a hoof behind his head. "She's a... I mean, she was..."

You put a hoof on his shaking shoulder, even if he feels like he's mostly not there. "She's a nice filly."

He smiles a little, but it goes away quickly. "I knew she could be. You need to get out of here. Mom's getting angrier every time."

About that... "Your sister, she, you know, the furnace, but you?"

He cringes sharply.

"Please?"

He lets out a sigh, his entire form dimming. "Do I have to?"

"Well, no..." you admit. "But it might help. I promise I won't laugh or anything."

"Promise?"

"Super promise!"

"Super mega promise?"

"Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!" You place your hoof against your eye, sealing the solemn oath that you actually just made up like right there on the spot. It feels right though. You'll have to use that more often.

The colt smiles at the silly oath, but he seems to get it. "Alright... Mom didn't do this. It was all my fault really, but... she blamed sis..." He points up. "I was on the roof, where I wasn't supposed to be... Sis was with me, telling me that. I didn't listen. It was fun up there... One of the shingles came lose... I fell. Those..." He swallows hard. "Those... The fence... I landed on it..."

You cringe at the mental image of it. "S-So what happened?"

"I died," he said simply, dimming again. "I died and it was all my own stupid fault. Mom didn't see it that way. She blamed sis. She said sis lured me up there, pushed me. She couldn't... wouldn't... She thought I was a perfect colt, her perfect colt. She was so mad..." He slumps to the floor of the cupboard. "It's all my fault she threw sis in that bad place! I killed her!"

Author's Note:

https://www.poll-maker.com/results948889x4CC7858C-40#tab-2

You're tempted a few ways, but before you go, you want to make sure you've looked around.


Things become a bit more clear.

Inventory: Picture+frame, Doll, Assorted toys and balloons, party popgun, length of twine

Choices!
1) Insist it's not his fault
2) Agree it is his fault
3) Drag him down to the basement, somehow.
4) It's time mother learned the truth!
5) Hey wait, we never looked at that picture!
6) Let's get out of here. You can see a backdoor from here.