• Published 24th Feb 2017
  • 1,187 Views, 88 Comments

The Great and Powerful Slayers: Next - Belligerent Bindlestiff



After acting on Lina Inverse's parting advice. Trixie finds herself at square one after nearly being corrupted by the Alicorn Amulet. Slayers Crossover.

  • ...
0
 88
 1,187

Before this Mighty Gift Bestowed

With This Mighty Gift Bestowed

It wasn’t long into the following day when the party had reached their destination. A huge, crystalline palace built into the mountains beheld a glory hidden from most civilization, untouched by the monster race.


“Spooky.” Lina said.


“I think it looks kind of nice” Gourry said.


“Well, I’m glad its empty.” Lina said. “I would not want to run into any monsters here.”


“So, are we just going to stand here..” Trixie said.


“Of course not!” Lina replied. “We didn’t spend days out in the wild just so we could stare at some old palace. Nepanox is on our tails.”


"So he’s been keeping up with us this whole time?” Trixie asked.


I haven't’ seen anybody else except those berserkers Lina.” Gourry said.


“Exactly.” Lina replied. “If a guy that hell bent on finding a place that was once controlled by monsters, then he’s probably no stranger to using magic to control group of them to do his bidding.”


“Which means this was his intention the whole time, to find something of great power in this palace.” Trixie said.


“Well, it looks like we’re on foot from here.” Lina said, as the trio approached the crystal palace. “There’s no way the horses will do well in this place.”


“So we’re just going to leave them outside?” Trixie asked.


“Sorry Trixie, its gotta be this way.” Gourry said.


“Don’t worry. We know how much they mean to you.” Lina said. “You can give them a heartfelt goodbye.”


“Will you stop insinuating things!?” Trixie said angrily. “But Trixie supposes this is goodby for now.” She turned and paced her hand over their noses.


The horses snorted before they were sent on their way.


“Okay, let’s go.” Trixie said. “Nepanox probably wants whatever is in here.”


“Yeah well, we got here first, so we can easily stop whatever he’s up to.” Lina said. “Though you really have to wonder if there is really anything important in there. I mean, it looks like just anyone could or would have walked in there and taken what they wanted.”


“Well, not just anyone.” A surely voice said from the shadows.


“Oh great.” Lina said, completely frustrated.


“Now, is that any way to treat an old friend?” A figure leaped from the shadows. When he landed, the light revealed his purple hair and loose-fitting garb.


“Xellos, why are you here?” Lina asked. “I thought you went off to go lick your wounds after that incident with Gahv.”


“Well, as it just so happens Lina, I’ve got new orders to contend with and it looks like I’ll be needing your help.”


“Do you know this character?” Trixie asked.


“Yeah, unfortunately I do.” Lina said flatly with her hand to her face.


“Oh my, is that really that necessary Lina?” Xellos said. “All I’m doing is offering a little business deal!”


“Oh great, we were running out of snacks!” Gourry said. “What do you got for sale?”


“No Gourry.” Lina said. “Xellos want us to do something for him.”


“Indeed!” Xellos replied with a finger pointed in the air. “You see this place did indeed belong to monsters. Rather one particular monster, the late Hellmaster Phibrizzo, but there are still spells put in place to keep other monsters out.”


“So let me guess, you want us to go inside because you can’t?” Lina asked.


“Astute as always, Ms. Inverse.” Xellos replied.


“What would you even want from this place?” Lina asked.


“Well, that is a secret!” Xellos said casually with a finger held to the front of his mouth.”


“Its sort of hard to figure out what we’re going to be looking for if you’re being so vague.” Trixie said. “Besides, what’s stopping you from going in there and getting what you’re after?”


“Oh, my apologies Ms.-“ Xellos said.


“Lulamoon. Trixie Lulamoon.” She replied.


“But as I said before, that barrier keeps out other monsters, and thus I cannot enter.”


“He’s a monster Lina?” Trixie asked, shocked. “He hardly looks monstrous! Unless, you’re a monster Lina!” her eyes grew wide.


“Take it easy.” Lina said. “Xellos only looks human, but he’s got the blood of a monster. He’s also pretty old too.”


“That’s a bit harsh.” Xellos said.


“So, if you can make it worth our while, why did you come to us and not Nepanox?” Lina asked.


“Oh, always the clever one.” Xellos said. “Simply put, we know you’re likely to hold up your end of the deal.”


“I am a girl of my word.” Lina replied.


“Nepanox cannot be trusted to relinquish whatever he might acquire. Things could get a bit messy.”


“So, if we find whatever it is you’re looking for, which we have no idea what it is, and bring it back, what will you give us in return?” Lina asked.


“Oh, you know.” Xellos said. “Information on a few caches of treasure that Febrizzo left behind.”


“And that’s it?” No strings attached?” Lina asked.


“Of course not Lina.” Xellos said. “You bring back that treasure Febrizzo secreted away to this part of the world, and I’ll point you to some of the greatest monetary treasures that have been hidden for centuries.


This fellow is just too shifty, yet he really doesn’t seem to be lying. Trixie thought.


“Well, we’ve got a deal.” Lina said.


The trio then turned and entered the ruins, leaving Xellos behind.


“Oh, and I should mention!” Xellos said. “Even if monsters aren’t allowed to cross into this palace, there might be a few surprises hiding in there anyways!”


////


The palace was as beautiful as it was devoid of life.


For monsters, they sure do have good taste. Trixie thought as she looked around. The walls, floors, and ceilings were made of a bluish crystal tht caught the light magnificently.


There were adornments that appeared more worldly however amidst the fantastic palace.


“So do you have any ideas what that Xellos monster was talking about?” Trixie asked. “Trixie doesn’t understand what sort of thing a monster would want.”


“And that’s the real problem.” Lina said. “He’s got to be after something that’ll help him recover his power.”


I dunno Lina, he looked fine to me.” Gourry said.


“Sure, on the surface he looks fine, but I’d wager he’s still reeling form the number Gahv did to him.” Lina said.


“Do you think it’s a good idea to be helping Xellos then?” Trixie asked.


“The way I see it, if there’s a choice between restoring a monster’s power, or giving something monstrous to a human, I’d go with the devil I know.” Lina said.


That’s extreme Lina. Trixie thought.


“Besides, Xellos is a monster of his word.” Lina said. “If he’s got treasure cache’s to tell me about, I up for it. Could we have trusted Nepanox to tell the truth?”


“Still, none of this really helps us figure out what we’re looking for.” Trixie said.


“This palace looks more like a really nice place to live, not to hide something powerful.” Lina said. She knocked on a door in the hallway.”


“Ponies tend to hide things where they live.” Trixie said. “Basements, attics. You don’t think it would be the same here, do you?”


“That could be the case.” Lina said. “But you know what? How many times have either of you stayed in a monster’s palace?”


Trixie and Gourry exchanged glances and shrugged at Lina.


“Exactly. “Lina replied. “We’ve been on the road for a while now, how about we relax for a change?”


Trixie gave the current hallway a skeptical look over. “But isn't Nepanox on our tail?” she asked. “Aren’t you worried he might come barging in at any moment?”


“Good point, we’ll add some alert spells to the place. But after that, I’m going to experience monster luxury at its finest.”


////


Trixie was watching Lina cast spell over a doorway A faint blue aura enveloped the sorceress' hands.


“There, one last frost trap for anyone dumb enough to follow us up here.” Lina said.


“And are you sure this is good enough to stop anypony from sneaking up on us?”


“Stop? No, but it will at least slow them down and give us some warning.” Lina said. Now lets’ see what sorts of stuff they’ve got here.”


After rummaging through the many rooms of the palace the group had found what could be described as a kitchen..


“What the heck are all of these containers?” Lina asked as she picked up a cylindrical container made of metal.


“Really? Trixie is surprised you’ve never seen tin cans before.” She said. “Trixie knows them all too well from traveling”


“Why would you put food in something so hard to open?” Gourry said, while beginning to cut into the can with a knife he’d found.


“Hold on Gourry.” Trixie said. “There’s a can opener that makes it a whole lot easier.” She fished out the tool from one of the drawers. “Prepare to be amazed!


Trixie then attached the can opener to the container and turned the device until the lid was cut off. “Ugh, this is so hard to do with hands instead of magic.” She said. “Especially with Trixie’s right hoof-hand.”


After a bit of struggle, Trixie then showed off the contents of the can. “Ta da!”


“Alright, let’s get cooking!” Lina said and immediately got to opening many more cans before pouring all of the contents into a large pot.


Not put off by another display of gluttony, Trixie then carefully scanned over the cans that had been opened for any that only had vegetables. She gathered them and poured them into a pot of her own.


It was a pretty enjoyable meal, even if Lina and Gourry scarfed their meal down loudly.


“I wonder why there was even food here to begin with.” Lina said. “Normally, monsters don’t need to eat food.”


“Wait, what do they eat?” Trixie asked nervously.


“I know what you’re getting at Trixie, and no, its not people…or ponies.” Lina said. “Monsters like Xellos thrive off of the negative emotions that exist in our world. Things like anger, despair, unpredictability.”


“Wait, the same thing as black magic? Trixie asked.


“Exactly,” Lina said. “Which si also why I’m going to warn you right now, don’t ever try to fight a pure monster with black magic.”


“What do you mean by ‘pure’?” Trixie asked.


“Well, they have astral bodies, ones that normal spells can’t effect with a few exceptions.” Lina said.


“Like with my sword of light.” Gourry said. “It works on them pretty well.”


“Or with specific spells from the shamanism school of magic.” Lina said.


“But why use black magic if monsters are immune?” Trixie asked. “What about those berserkers we fought?”


“Other monsters, like the berserkers from the other day, are not pure monsters. They’re merged with something of this world.” Lina said. “They have a real body we can attack. So if you destroy the body, you destroy the monster.”


She finished the last amount of soup with a loud slurp. “But if what Xellos is right, then other monsters shouldn’t be a problem in this palace.”


“Still Lina,” Gourry said. “it sure was pretty lucky we found something to eat here.”


“Well, just because they don’t eat it, doesn't mean they can’t” Lina said. “Food is really more of a luxury for monsters.”


“Maybe they were expecting company.” Trixie said, musing as she finished her own soup concoction.


“Speaking of which, I hope there’s some place to get some shut eye.” Lina said.


////


The trio explored the halls of the elegant palace. Eventually, they came up on a corridor with doors that let to various rooms.


“I’m starting to think you may have been on to something, Trixie.” Lina said. “This is a pretty nice place that was set up.”


The girls took a room of their own while Gourry took the room across from them.


“We’ll probably investigate your basement theory tomorrow.” Lina said as they entered their room.


The sorceress took off her cloak and laid down on the bed. Trixie did the same and plopped herself in.


“Ah, a nice change of pace!” Lina said she looked over to a door in the room. “A washroom, this place just keeps getting fancier.” She moved off the bed and inspected the room. “Its beautiful.”


Trixie got up to see what the fuss was about. The ‘washroom” was even more grandiose than they first thought it to be. A huge mirror, sink and a gigantic tub fit for a duchess adorned the area.


Lina and Trixie immediately set about filling the tub with water. The former showmare turned on the faucet.


“It has heated water Lina!” Trixie said.


“No way!” the sorceress replied. “Let’s see what else is here.”


In the storage, Lina found fragrant soaps, and began throwing them into the water, creating a sudsy pool. Neither of them wasted anytime in disrobing and jumping into the bubbly water.


“I’m too tired to care if this is a trap.” Lina said.


“Besides, we could always throw a fireball at anypony that tries to bother us.” Trixie said.


“Now, that wasn’t part of my lessons, but I’m impressed a bit of me is rubbing off on you.” Lina said.


“Well, if Trixie is going to be on adventures with you Lina, then she ought to be prepared.” She said. Did Trixie just say that?


Lina looked to her right and raised an inquisitive brow. “So, you’re going to stay with us?” I thought you were wanting to go back home after you’ve paid me for my lessons?”


“Well, Trixie will have to cope with not performing for ponies anymore, but she’s always wondered about traveling with others.” She said, moving her foot through the suds. “Even if they’re mercenaries that eat every place out of house and home.”


“So you were always out on your own?” Lina asked.


“Yes, it got a little lonely out there.” Trixie said. “But that was probably for the best. Trixie just never could settle down in one place. She wanted to see the world. Other ponies were happy to make friends with each other in their towns and cities. Trixie just never got attached.”


“I was on my own for a while too.” Lina said. “Before I met Gourry, I pretty much adventured by myself. Looking for treasure and rare spells.”


“Did you get lonely too?” Trixie asked.


“It got pretty dull from time to time.” Lina said. “But did meet quite a few widows along the way One of them was particularly deluded.”


“Hey!” Trixie said in protest.


“Not you.” Lina said. “One girl had the most annoying laugh. She wasn’t a half bad sorceress either; at least when she actually focused.”


“Heh.” Trixie chuckled to herself. “Trixie was fine with most towns until she went to Ponyville, and you know how what that led to.” She sunk deeper into the water.


“Well, as long as you don’t bite off more than you can chew, I don’t see why you won’t make for a bad addition to our group.” Lina said.


“You’re definitely more calm than Amelia.” Lina said, grabbing a brush and soap.


“Who’s that?” Trixie.


“Oh, a hyper hero worshiping kid.” Lina said.


“A goat? You’ve met goats, but not ponies?” Trixie asked.


Lina laughed. “No, I mean a young girl. She was the one who wanted to learn the Dragon Slave for a while.”


“You certainly have met quite a few characters on your adventures.” Trixie said. “No wonder you weren’t surprised by Trixie.”


“I have way more experience with meeting so many random adventurers.” Lina said. “Take this one guy, Zelgadis. He’d part chimera, golem, and demon. The guy basically started off as some sort of mysterious character.” She brought her arm in front of her face as if to emulate holding her cloak in front of her.


Lina continued her story well into the evening even after the bath until they’d fallen asleep.