• Published 24th Feb 2017
  • 1,187 Views, 88 Comments

The Great and Powerful Slayers: Next - Belligerent Bindlestiff



After acting on Lina Inverse's parting advice. Trixie finds herself at square one after nearly being corrupted by the Alicorn Amulet. Slayers Crossover.

  • ...
0
 88
 1,187

I Pledge Myself

I Pledge Myself

Continuing on their journey, Trixie again asked her magic mentor more about spell casting. “So you’ve said words are important when using magic, Lina? Trixie knows that some ponies use them to cast spells on rare occasions, but she also has seen you use them without saying anything at all.”


“Yeah, that’s right.” Lina said. “You sometimes won’t hear me speak the incantation, but trust me, I’m reciting the spell.


“Are you whispering the words or are you saying them in your head?” Trixie asked.


“Both actually.” Lina said. “Hmm.” She reached into her cloak and pulled out an apple. “Hey Gourry!”


“Huh?” the swordsman said, puzzled.


Lina then threw the fruit, only for Gourry to brandish his weapon and cut it into pieces. Slices fell into each of their hands.


“What did that have to do with magic?” Trixie asked.


“Look, I’m not going to hold your hand with every lesson, why don’t you figure this one out for yourself?” Lina said and wolfed down her apple slice.


Lina looked down at her clothes and wore a look of disdain. “Great, this stuff is going to be a real pain to get out.” She said, while trying to brush the fuzz from the monster they fought earlier. “Wait a minute!” she pulled out Nepanox’s map.


“We should be getting closer to mountains if we’re on the right track.” Lina said. “That means there’s a chance that…Ray Wing!” Lina then shot into the air.


“Does Lina usually do that?” Trixie asked.


“Nope.” Gourry replied.


When Lina returned to the ground she was unnaturally giddy.


“Did you find the palace?” Trixie asked.


“Just hurry up and get a move on!” Lina said, and mounted the horse. She and Trixie left Gourry behind, completely confused. “And don’t follow us Gourry!”


////


“Well, you’ve just been quiet and smiling this whole time, Lina.” Trixie said. “And Trixie still doesn’t get whey we had to leave Gourry behind. What’s so special?”


“Don’t you hear it yet?” Lina asked.


“Trixie hears water.” She replied.


“And?”


“A waterfall?”


Lina pushed back the last branch of a tree to reveal the view of a moderately tall waterfall. “You rarely find ones this calm!” Lina said.


“But Lina, we’re up in the mountains!” Trixie said. “Even if she had her coat, that water is too cold for Trixie.”


“Now what have I told you before, Trixie.” Lina said. “Magic isn’t just about the big spells.”


Trixie looked at the waterfall. Heating up a bowl or a tub is one thing. “But that’s moving water!” Trixie said. “It isn’t like the tub at the inn we stayed at.”


“Exactly, so instead of heating the water with a little fire.” Lina said as she had already began preparing for the waterfall shower and had left her clothes on the riverbank.


Using her magic, Lina flew at a rock at the base of the waterfall and took aim at the top of the formation. Trixie didn’t hear the spell, but saw red magic come out of her hands and hit the rocks above. The clear water showed what her spell intended. The rocks at the edge of the waterfall were glowing from the heat of her spell, creating a warm shower.


She’s so creative with her magic. Trixie thought. The ponies back home would probably never have tried something like this. Especially Twilight Sparkle! She watched Lina then move towards the cascading water and test it with her hand.


“Hey Trixie, the water’s perfect! Come on in!” Lina yelled.


Trixie then removed her own fuzz-covered clothes as well, but then she put a foot into the water. Too cold! Trixie retracted her foot and flinched back onto the shore.


“Hold on.” Lina said, and then cast a spell at Trixie.


The former mare then flew into the air, at the complete mercy of the wind. “Lina, Trixie does not like flying up here, naked and with nothing to hold onto!” Naked? That’s a strange thought.


Lina managed to ease her landing on the rocks near the cascading water. “See? Nothing to get worked up about.” She said. “Now let’s make the most of the hot water before the rocks cool off.


Despite the irregular behavior of Lina, Trixie wasn’t about to let this opportunity go to waste, and began to embellish the warm water. Oh, this is nice. And Trixie can run her fingers through her mane.

“Oh, thank the gods that I was able to get all this stuff out of my hair.” Lina said. “I swear, all that fuzz would have driven me nuts after a few more hours.”


“Lina, all this magic Trixie has seen you do, it really is amazing.” Trixie said. “She sees all the tricks you use through the day, and it really does make Trixie want to learn more, but then she sees those times when you use it to destroy…”


The blue haired girl stopped moving her hands through her hair. “Trixie wonders if, even without some dark amulet, she’d just do the same thing again.” She looked towards Lina with a somber stare.


“Again with the moping?” Lina asked. “Look, I can’t be the one who tells you who you can and can’t go shooting spells at.”


“But they’ve called you the ‘Bandit Killer’, Lina.” Trixie said. “Doesn’t that bother you?”


“All I know is that if someone pisses me off enough or tries to kill me, they’re in for a world of hurt.” Lina said.


“That doesn’t really show much discretion.” Trixie said.


“It doesn’t, doesn’t it?” Lina replied. “Then maybe you’re the one showing some actual discretion for a change.” Lina continued washing her hair, not looking directly at Trixie. “All I’m saying is that you’ve got the potential. I’d be a shame to let it go to waste because you’re afraid of making the same mistake twice.”


Trixie looked at Lina with surprise after that comment.


“But I guess if you want to do nothing with the rest of your life, that’s fine too. Either way, I still get my own personal assistant from this deal to do all those annoying chores.” Lina said.


This mare-err woman is crazy. Trixie thought. She’s impossible to read; callous or caring? She took the rest of the time to relish in the warm shower and was grateful that Lina even invited her in the first place.


Trixie turned to wash from a different angle and noticed Gourry leading his horse over to where they had left their clothes. “It looks like Gourry caught up with us.” She said.


He’d discovered the garments at the river bank, but seemed unaware of the two girl’s actual location. He stopped at the clothes and prodded them with sincere curiosity and concern.


“That dolt, I told him to stay back!” Lina said.


Just then, Gourry looked at them and waved, only for a few moments to pass before he recoiled in terror and began to back up with his arms raised.


“Why are you so angry Lina?” Trixie asked, looking at the sorceress, now covering herself in an odd way. Lina was visibly redder. Is Lina embarrassed or angry? Oh right, no clothes. Should Trixie be …ashamed..angry too?

Lina then shot out a fireball that arced over to Gourry and exploded, sending him off to the woods, but oddly didn’t spook the horses. The sorceress still had her arm outstretched from throwing the spell.


“And that is why magic is so useful Trixie.” Lina said. “You don’t need a sword or even clothes to cast spells.”


////


That night, Trixie was awake trying to figure out just what Lina was doing by being so rude with her lessons. Magic words, incantations. She thought to herself, attempting to make sense of her lesson.


“One moment Lina tells Trixie she was good enough to figure out lightning for her spells, and the next she criticizes her for not knowing magic words.” She said to herself.


“Yeah, I never really figured out that magic deal or why Lina’s spells need her too say words.” Gourry said, sitting down next to Trixie. “Then again, that’s why I don’t use magic.”


“Trixie still doesn’t understand why she threw that apple at you, though Trixie does get that Lina is brash with you Gourry.” She said.


“Oh the apple thing? She sort of just does that when she doesn’t feel like cutting the apple herself.” Gourry said.


“Really?” Trixie asked.


“Yeah, she knows I can just do that sort of stuff without thinking about it.” Gourry said. “Sort of comes with being an expert swordsman I think.”


“So you had to learn that trick?” Trixie asked.


“Oh yeah, I almost never got it right when I first started out, but now I don’t even have to think about it to do it.” Gourry said. “I messed up a lot of apples trying to learn.”


So that’s how it works! Trixie thought. She just let it come as a second nature after practicing so much Ugh, Trixie did not like that part of unicorn school.


“Trixie guesses this won’t be easy, but the easy way has never really worked out well for her.” She said and went to sleep.


////


As the party continued on its way the next morning, the sound of a man grumbling and swearing to himself became clearer. “Stupid, stupid wagon!” he grunted. “Go to the Nepanox province, they said!”


The trio then spotted the man attempting to re-install a wheel on a cart.


“Oh, they’re no bandits in these parts, they said! Then explain why I had to run for my life!” he turned and let out a yelp. “Agh! Look, I don’t really have much in the wagon, there’s nothing worth stealing! Honest!”


“Do we look like bandits to you?” Lina asked.


The merchant let out a sigh. “Oh good. I don’t have to run again.”


Trixie had gotten off of her ride along with the others and approached the merchant. “Looks like one of your wheels hit a dip too hard.” She said. “Easy to miss when you’re running for your life.”


Trixie bent down to get a better look at the damage. “Ugh, wheels can be so inconsistent.”


“All the spokes are broken on this one, I was just about to take it off.” The merchant said. “So, since you aren’t here to rob me, what can I help you with? I’m Grims, a traveling merchant.”


Grims had moved to unfurl the tarp from his wagon.


“Well, let’s see what you’ve got then.” Lina said.


“Once I get to fixing this cart, I can get to selling.” Grims said.


“Say Trixie, you owned a wagon.” Lina said. “I bet you could fix this wheel. And you do owe me for the magic lessons.”


“Fine.” Trixie said, begrudgingly.


“That doesn’t sound like an appreciative apprentice who’s been basically getting her lessons for free.” Lina said.


“Oh. Trixie means she is grateful for the chance to pay you back!” she replied, and gave a presenter’s bow before getting to work.


Lina began haggling with Grims, Trixie set about placing the new wheel on the axel, and as soon as she remembered that she with without her levitation magic. What ensued were a series of struggles in doing things the “earth pony” way without the earth pony strength..


The replacement wheel was reinforced with metal and as soon as Trixie had gotten it off the wagon, the weight unbalanced her and sent her into the mud. Frustrated, Trixie lifted the wheel and rolled it into place. However, she misjudged the depth of the arena of mud and slipped face first.


The wheel was sent forward, but returned back and rolled over Trixie. Now completely soaked, and upset, Trixie shot up and chased down the spare part and rapidly installed it before anything else could happen.


“Wheels.” Trixie said, seething at her hated object. She returned to Lina and Gourry on the other side of the wagon, who had just finished buying goods from Grims.


“Hey, nice of you to join us!” Lina said. “You know, your good deed really helped get us a good bargain.”


“I got all sorts of snacks from Grims!” Gourry said holding a large sack. “Hey Lina, show Trixie what you bought her!”


“Well, I was going to wait until you cleaned yourself up, but why the heck not?” Lina said and reached into her cloak and produced a staff and held it in front of Trixie. “Ta da!” she added with some minute enthusiasm.


“A gift, for Trixie?” she asked.


“Yeah, well you’re showing growth in magic.” Lina said. “Or some other encouraging words teachers say. And I heard you figure out the whole incantation process last night, so here’s a little something. It’s more of a staff for a novice.”


Trixie reached out for the rod, it was of some sort of bronze with a crystal ball ornamenting the end of the implement. “Oh Trixie is so grateful!” Nopony has ever done anything like this for Trixie, not since she went to the school for gifted unicorns! “Trixie will study and become even more powerful! Just wait and see!”


For a beginner or not, the rod held about it a beauty that Trixie could appreciate. Though it appeared simple in design, it reminded her of her stage days. Sort of like the crystal a fortune teller would use. It was the perfect fit for Trixie, and she graciously accepted it in her muddy hand.


“Yeah, just don’t go nuts and blow anything up.” Lina said. “That’s my job.”


////


The trio returned on their journey after saying goodbye to Grims. While they continued riding, Lina resumed her magic lessons.


“So the rod I bought for you is really more of a way to help you channel your magic.” Lina said. “Some wizards and sorceresses prefer to use them, but I’m more of a hands on kind of caster.” she continued with her hand held in the air.


“But anyways, I think you’re ready to start learning how to use a proper fireball spell now.” Lina said.


“Really?” Trixie asked. “Are you sure? Trixie didn’t want to learn those spells, she told you this.”


“Huh, that’s funny, because I could have sworn I saw you trying to cast them against the fuzzy monster the other day.” Lina said, turning back to Trixie. “Admit it, you really did want to use them. Otherwise, you would have just hid or something.”


“You’re right.” Trixie said. “Trixie is meant for great magic. So let’s start the lesson.”


“Yeah, your spells were kinda funny Trixie.” Gourry said. “They sort of reminded me of when Sylphiel shot out those little fire carrots out.”


“Well, I’m glad you’re ready for the next lesson under the tutelage of sorcery genius, Lina Inverse.” Lina said. “The big stuff actually requires you to say the right incantation for the spell. The weird thing is that the words are pretty specific and sometimes get corrupted over time.”


“But how does that happen Lina?” Trixie asked. “You just said magic incantations were important!”


“Well, sometimes there are exceptions.” Lina said. “The Dragon Slave is one of them. It started out being called the Dragon Slayer spell, but I bet the name of the spell is far different from the actual incantation, so that’s probably the reason it didn’t really change the spell.”


“Whoa Lina, you’re going to teach Trixie the Dragon Slave?” Gourry said from his horse.


“Not a chance.” Lina replied. “We’re starting with the fireball. If you can get this one right, then maybe we’ll get into other spells.”


“But Lina, are you sure you want to be casting a fireball for no good reason?” Trixie asked.


“And there’s my next point.” Lina said. “As long as you aren’t concentrating on using your magic, you should be fine learning the words. Just think what would happen if everyone who ever said the incantation for a fireball spell casually. Fireballs would be let loose every time.”


“Oh, that makes sense.” Trixie said. “So what are the words?”


“Source of all power, light which burns beyond crimson, let thy power gather in my hand. Fireball!” Lina said.


“’Thy power’?” Trixie asked. “It sort of sounds like one of the princesses back home made this spell, and she’s almost a thousand years old.”


“Yeah well, these spells are pretty old too.” Lina said. “It makes sense the people who made them spoke differently. Anyways, all this teaching is making me hungry.” She turned to Gourry. “Hey Gourry, what did you buy from the merchant?”


“Uh, let’s see.” Gourry said. “A couple of cakes.” He gave a look towards the sorceress. “Please don’t eat them all, Lina.”


He then threw the sack at Lina, who greedily rummaged for the treats.


“Can Trixie get one?” she asked.


Amidst her greed, Lina had a small cake in her mouth already, and bit a chunk off before saying. “Yeah sure, I think there are some crackers in here or something. Here.”


Yes, keep all the nice things for yourself Lina. Trixie thought. Gourry bought those for all of us and- her train of thought was interrupted when Lina passed her a snack from over her shoulder.


These were no ordinary crackers; between the pairs of hardened bread was a substance of pure bliss. “Peanut butter crackers!” Trixie said dreamily, and took the treat.


The former mare then savored the snack. It almost makes up for getting into this mess. “Mmm.” Trixie said in content.


“Wow Gourry, you were right. But how’d you know she’d like them this much?” Lina asked.


“Oh, I remember back home that the horses really like peanut butter, I figured Trixie might like it too.


Moment ruined. Trixie thought, stopping completely. “Thanks Gourry, but not everypony back home likes peanut butter crackers as much as Trixie does. But Trixie knows that only the greatest ponies have the greatest of tastes!”


“I dunno Trixie,” Gourry said. “Our horses really liked them.” And as if on cue, the horses whinnied.


“Then perhaps Trixie has misjudged you.” She said to their rides. “You obviously do have good taste.”


“Well, they did come running back to you.” Lina said.


“Oh will you please drop it Lina?” Trixie replied.