• Published 6th Jan 2017
  • 1,047 Views, 68 Comments

Loyalty in Brass: The First Encounter - Mr BHunt



Once a proud knight, now a ruined automation. When a Brass Knight Charges into Ponyville, how will the ponies react?

  • ...
7
 68
 1,047

Chapter Five: Assault of Canterlot Part Two

Swift leapt back as the glaive swung inches from his face, then as he landed he slashed at the Brass Knight. The knight took the hit and charged forwards, closing distance fast. Swift dashed forwards with his head down, a shield forming on his horn. The unicorn slammed into the knight and sent it stumbling back, Swift spun around and bucked the chest of the knight and it fell back. Swift spun his sword in his magical grasp and thrusted it into the knight's throat, it squirted black blood from the wound and the Brass Knight roared fiercely. It swatted the sword away and kicked Swift into a building and got onto it's feet, then it raised a hand and a bolt of lightning appeared. The knight pulled back and threw the bolt at Swift, but he threw up a shield and took the blast. The knight snarled and dashed forwards and raised it's glaive above it's head, Swift quickly pulled his sword from the ground and locked blades with the knight.


Suddenly a blue explosion rocked the Behemoth, Luna parried two slashes from the Smile knight, but the third slashed a cut across her cheek. The knight leapt up and cut a pair of Lunar Guards in half, both trying to flank the knight. The Smile Knight was slammed back onto deck by Luna and she summoned a hail of spears above the knight, they pierced it's armor but didn't stop the Corrupt knight. The knight headbutted the Princess and kicked her off the ship, a trio of guards tackled the knight and it struggled to free itself. Luna quickly flew back onto deck and threw a griffin at the knight, he screamed as the Smile Knight slashed the guards and griffin down. Luna, shocked, yelled at the knight.

"Your own soldiers?! You're insane!" She screamed as she threw a pair of blue spears at the knight and summoned a sword, the Smile Knight suddenly exploded in laughter, a haunting horrid sound. It's face caught the spears and was thrown back, Luna took the chance to fly forward to attack but the knight grabbed her. It slowly tilted it's head back at stared at the Princess, a massive hole exposed a orange light within the knight's head. Luna quickly slammed her sword into the hole, sending the Smile Knight reeling back and dropping Luna. It grasped it's faceplate, light escaping it's hands. Luna noticed the open grate, she summoned a hammer and slammed a vicious vertical hit on the knight, sending it flying up and down into the hold.

Luna huffed, but heard something grinding metal, she recoiled as the Smile Knight crawled onto the deck, it's faceplate bursting with a strange black puss. Suddenly the top-half of the knight exploded, a dense purple fog covering the deck. Luna heard the sound of her guards screaming as something got them, then she saw a pair of claws hovering in the air.


Swift bellowed a warcry and shoved the Brass Knight back, it quickly slammed it's glaive down at Swift, but he easily stepped to the side. Then a colossal roar shook the ground, even the Brass Knight hesitated and glanced up at the airship. Swift threw his sword at one of the larger cracks in the knight's faceplate, it shattered the front of it's face. The knight quickly pulled it's arms up to protect it's face, Swift shot a hail of purple bolts at the knight, but suddenly felt it's toll. The unicorn stumbled to balance himself, he looked up to see the Brass Knight lowering it's arms. It's torn faceplate exposed a pulsating light, coming from an orange crystal that hovered in the hollow helmet.

"Lucky shot... filth." The knight said as it picked up it's fallen glaive, Swift shook his head and glared at the knight.

"Not luck, just a skill of mine." Swift responded and picked up his sword.

The pair resumed their fight with the Brass Knight slide tackling Swift, then it send a powerful fist into Swift's belly. Swift roared with pain and rolled to the side of another punch, then he slashed at the knight's exposed neck. It gushed out blood black and the knight shuddered, but still threw Swift into a building and jumped after him.


Luna flew up and around the large ballon, then she landed on the top of the ballon. It suddenly rocked as the Smile Knight, it's upper body now a stange black, swirling mess that held a pair of axes. The Princess took a battle stance and her guard formed a wall in front of her, blocking the knight from a clear path. The Smile Knight immediately charged, a erratic and stiff run. One of the first line, a jarhead, was quickly thrown off the ballon. But a griffin caught him, one in a leather cap and cuirass. She smirked at him and flew up to the ballon and dropped him. Luna turned and saw a fleet of griffins and their airships approaching, she smiled as not a single of the new griffins had a bit of brass equipment. But the Smile Knight wasn't as happy to see the renegade griffins. The knight screamed a horrible warcryvand slammed it's sword into the metal shell of the ballon, then it sprinted at the Lunar Guard creating a long cut in the ballon. The knight left it's sword in the ballon and grabbed a pair of guards, slamming them together and tossing them off the side of the ballon. Suddenly a trio of griffins, holding a large chain, clotheslined the Smile Knight. They spun around it and dragged it back onto the deck of the Behemoth, Luna blocked out it's screams and watched as the new griffins approached.

A grey griffin landed next to Luna, watching with her as the renegade griffins cut down and slashed at the griffins supporters, Luna exhaled turned her head to look at the griffin. His feathers were grey with whites at the tips, he wore a leather cuirass that had a blue sash running across it. His eyes were old but held a spark of happiness, he smiled at Luna.

"So, Princess, did we come at the right time?" He asked.

"Definitely, King Greyclaw. But we couldn't get a SoS out, how did you know to assist us?" The griffin king sighed.

"We... we refused to join these metal beasts, they slaughtered most of the refusing griffins and sent us running. I watched as they constructed a fortress around Griffinstone, I watched as the rest of my people join them and I watched as they armed and flew towards Canterlot..." Greyclaw exhaled. "We followed after my surviving advisors and generals convinced me, so we flew here and now here we are."

Luna was about to thank the King, a loud roar caught their attention. Luna felt a hand grip her throat and throw her off the ballon, she slammed onto the deck and grunted. The Smile Knight dropped to the deck as Luna got to her hooves, she gasped as a dozen of her guards and the griffins who pulled the knight down stared at her, in pools of their own blood. The knight crackled and picked up a sword from an ash pile, but fate had something to say first.

Suddenly the Behemoth's left engine exploded and rocked the ship, Luna stumbled and the knight fell through the open grate behind it. Luna flew into the hold and slammed into the Smile Knight, she quickly summoned two swords and slashed at the knight. But unknown to the fighters, the airship was slowly descending towards Canterlot as it's ballon caught fire.


Swift rolled to the side as the Brass Knight landed near his head, he shot up and bucked the knight's leg. It fell to it's other and grunted, Swift grabbed a loose hunk of stone and smashed it across the knight's head, but as he pulled back his hoof, the Brass Knight head butted the unicorn. Swift's head snapped back and his helmet flew off, but he quickly jumped back as the knight raised a lightning bolt above it's head. Luckily, Swift got out of the building as the bolt slammed into the ground and collapsed the house. The Brass Knight pushed off the roof and roared at Swift, black blood covering most of it's body. But it's attention was torn from Swift as a loud, tomboyish warcry filled the air. Suddenly a rainbow coloured blur smashed into the knight's side and sent it back into the rubble, Rainbow Dash swooped down to Swift.

"Citizens should be leaving the city! GET OUT OF HERE!" He bellowed at the pegasus, who looked shocked.

"Uh what? I saved you! You should be thanking me! And I'm not a citizen, I'm a soon to-be Wonderbolt-" Rainbow was pulled from the air and thrown into a building, the Brass Knight clicked it's bloody neck and gripped it's glaive tightly.

Enough games! Let's finish this, pest!" The knight snarled and lifted the glaive above it's head, but Swift saw something behind it and did something he'd never thought he'd do.

"Look! A distraction!" He yelled and pointed behind the knight, it seemed to hesitate as it stopped but it still turned with a quick spin. Swift dove to the side as the Elements of Harmony rose into the air and blasted the Brass Knight's exposed face with a beam of rainbow, the orange crystal that hovered inside the shattered helm seemed to devour the rainbow energy as it began quivering. The six ponies slowly descended to the stone path and watched the knight, Swift slowly walked around it and backed towards the Elements. The Brass Knight's arms dropped to it's sides and the glaive dropped from their grasp, it clattered on the ground as silence seemed to rule the street. Suddenly the orange crystal started to spun, it got faster and faster and the seven ponies backed up. The crystal released a shockwave and the hollow armor it once wore tipped over backwards and dissolved, it glowed a light purple, blue then purple again. The crystal exploded and three things happened.

Three red orbs quickly dashed from the crystal and towards Swift, Rarity and Twilight and attached themselves to their horns. Rarity convulsed and collapsed into the hooves of Applejack, Swift and Twilight's eyes glowed white and they suddenly went statue-like.

The crystal send a pulse of lightning outwards that grounded Rainbow and gave poor Fluttershy a small, but controlled shock and made her jump. It caused Applejack to twitch and reach out for Rarity, with a stiff movement of her front hooves and made Pinkie's mane go really, like really puffy. I mean seriously, I can't express it enough, it puffed a lot. She gasped and suddenly smiled widely, mouthing something along the lines of 'new friend!'

And a large body dropped from where the crystal hovered, it fell to it's knees and hunched over. It wore a large, but noticeably well made, grey coat that had a large collar that covered the creature's lower face. It's legs were covered with black pants and black boots were worn on it's feet. Lastly, a unique looking, black hat and scarf that bellowed in an unseen wind covered it's head. Slowly the seven ponies shook themselves and looked at each other, in shock. But in Swift's case, absolute rage.

"WHY THE BUCK ARE YOU HERE?! Celestia help me, all civilians and residents are to follow the convoy! Why did you risk your lives helping me?" He demanded, but his serious expression softened as he noticed how Fluttershy cowered away from him. He exhaled. "As much as I thank you for the assistance, you really shouldn't be here and now I gotta explain why there's six ponies and that... thing..." He trailed off as he noticed how large the new creature was, since it was standing a few feet with a single golden eye glaring at them from underneath it's hat. Then Swift noticed a large shadow that was growing larger, he looked straight up.

"Well buck, that's an airship."


Luna grunted as she took a fist into her gut, but she still thrusted her sword through the head of the Smile Knight. The knight screamed in pain and reared back, Luna shoved the knight back and summoned a spear, she quickly thrust it into the knight's gut. The Smile Knight kicked the Princess back and she smashed through the wall and hit the next one, landing in a room with two knights sitting around a strange box.

"The scanner broke! How?" One asked the other.

"It's old tech, no doubt the forces of all sides overheated the machine." The second knight said, then it turned and spotted Luna. "Pest spotted! Move to eliminate!" It said and stood from the machine, but Luna dashed forwards and smashed the knight's head through the machine, then she shoved her sword through it's neck. As the knight dissolved, the other threw itself back and pulled out it's sword. But the Smile Knight burst through the wall and tore it's arm off, as the knight snarled, the Corrupt knight slammed an axe into the other knight's head.

Luna grunted and grabbed the knight in her magic, she threw it upwards and through the roof. Then she teleported to the top deck, as she appeared, she was tackled by the Smile Knight. It wrapped it's hands around her throat and squeezed, Luna gasped and used her magic to strangle the knight. The Smile Knight seemed unfazed and continued to choke the Princess, she coughed and stabbed four spears into the knight's back. It reared up and lifted Luna off the deck, she unfurled her wings and pushed herself from the grip of the knight. The Smile Knight grabbed her hoof and slammed her onto the deck, she cried as her wing made a loud snap. The knight flipped her over and placed a hand around her throat and lifted her up, it smashed a fist into her stomach as her horn glowed.

Suddenly a huge force hit the knight, it dropped Luna and raised it's arms up. Luna's eyes were filled with tears, but she could make out a creature kick the Smile Knight. The creature pushed the knight's arms apart and uppercut it's head, then as the Smile Knight recoiled, the creature slammed a fist into the knight's chest. The creature repeated the punch a few times, then grabbed the knight's throat. The creature lifted the Smile Knight up and slammed it down onto the deck. A fury of kicks slammed the knight deeper into the deck, the black puss that encompassed it's body slid off and it's chest cracked loudly. The creature raised both arms into the air and smashed them on the knight's head, the Smile Knight twitched once then went still. I

Luna pushed herself up and coughed, then she noticed a white hand. She looked up and into the single golden eye that stared at her from under the creature's black hat, she looked at the gloved hand it was offering and took it. Suddenly the creature pulled Luna up and held her under it's arm and sprinted towards the edge of the Behemoth, she screamed as the creature threw itself off the ship. The creature took no notice as it neared Lower Canterlot, it slammed into the ground and made a crater. The creature sprung up and dashed through the bloody and burning streets, Luna heard a massive explosion behind her and felt a growing warmth. The creature leapt over a overturned cart and slammed into the back of a Brass Knight, but it just flipped over it as the knight reached up. The creature's coat bellowed with it's scarf in the wind as it charged a Cleaner, it noticed the creature too late as it slid under it's legs, holding Luna off the ground.

Then they turned a corner, a skirmish of Royal Guards, griffins and knights was blocking their path. The creature crouched and jumped into the air, making Luna yelp. She took the chance to look down, a guard cut down a griffin, a knight slashed at a pair of night guards, a knight took a large blast of magic to the chest. Then they disappeared into tiles of a roof, she looked up as the creature dropped off the building. It sprinted through the exit arch and skidded to a stop, a squad of the near guard spun around and began to pull their weapons out, then they saw Luna.

"Princess, are you alright?" The Sergeant asked as he sheathed his sword, the squad followed a bit more hesitantly. Luna heard a strange growling sound as the Sergeant approached, the creature held Luna tighter and moved back, clearly agitated. The Sergeant stopped, tilting his head. "Uh Princess, looks like your saviour is quite protective." He said as the creature growled again, Luna tapped on it's hand and the golden eye stared down from it's shadowy home.

"We thank thou for saving us, but you must release me." She said softly, the creature stared back at the Princess. Finally it slowly lowered Luna to the ground, being quite careful with her wing. Luna tried extending her wing, she gasped with pain and the Sergeant stepped forward.

"Princess, are you alright?!" He asked as he stepped closer, the creature knelt down and looked at Luna's wing. It pulled open it's coat and Luna saw that it had nothing underneath the large coat except for a pair of bandoliers, she slightly paled as she noticed how many scars covered it's chest. The creature pulled a strange, engraved bell from one of it's many pouches, it held it to it's face then pointed it at Luna's wing. The small bell sounded and a golden glow encompassed her wing and a slight warmth came to Luna, the glow faded and Luna extended her wing with no pain. The creature stood and slipped the bell back into it's coat, it's hands fell to it's sides as it watched Luna clear her throat.

"We- I thank you, for saving me and getting me out of that airship. But I want to know the name and face of my saviour." She said, the creature stared at her and slowly shook it's head, Luna frowned. "Not much of a talker are you?" The creature stared at her. "May I at least see your face?" Luna asked, almost immediately the creature shook it's head. Then Luna gasped. "My Lunar Guard! They were on the airship! We need to go-" The sound of giggling made Luna look up.

"Your majesty, you forget that we are far too loyal to ever die on you." Violet said as she and King Greyclaw landed on the dirt path, the creature turned to the new arrivals and glared at them. Violet Scar took notice of the aggressive stare. "Oh my, aren't you a big boy, or girl. What are you anyway?" She asked, a clear accusation in her voice. The creature growled and it's right arm twitched, Violet stepped forward. "Oh I get it, you're a brainless dimwit monster." She said each word as she stepped closer, Luna grew slightly angry.

"Captain Violet Scar, you are out of line." Luna stated and Violet stopped, about two feet from the creature. She glared at the single eye and it stared back, finally she broke the silence.

"Stupid cyclops." She sneered, the creature just stared at her. Then the female batpony turned around, to come face to face with a fuming Luna.

"Violet, that stupid cyclops saved me, you should know better to insult an ally." She said angrily, the tone had Violet's ears fold down. "I should demote you for disregard of others and insubordination, but you've been too loyal to me. So now your punishment..." Luna put a hoof to her chin, Violet nervously pawed the ground, the squad of guards just stood off to the side and the creature just stared at Luna. Finally Luna put her hoof down, she smiled at Violet. "Apologise to Saviour, I want to hear them accept it." She said, a devilish smile on her face.

"I... what? An apology, sure ok." Violet said and turned to look up at the creature, who was nowhere to be found. She looked around for the large coated creature, her eyes going wide. "Bu... WHERE DID IT GO?" She yelled at the sky, Luna burst out laughing and some of the Royal Guards snickered. Violet frowned at Luna and spun around, suddenly she spotted the creature. It was standing right in front of her, the Captain reared back and fell over. "You sneaky little..." She stopped herself as she felt the eyes of Luna going through her head, she huffed and got up. "So then, I guess I'm sorry? Wow that was bad. Listen, I'm really sorry, after all of this... it got my adrenaline running, made my mouth run, so I'm sorry for insulting you." Violet said, head tilted to the ground.

Luna trotted up behind her Captain and placed a hoof under her chin and lifted her face up. Violet looked at Luna, who smiled at her. Then a voice cut through the air, not a pony's voice though...

"Acknowledged."

...


...

"W-was that?" Violet asked as she looked up at the creature, the voice was hard but had a calm tone.

"Must've been him." Luna said, Violet turned to her.

"'Him'?" The Sergeant asked, both Violet and Luna turned to stare at him, then the creature raised it gaze to him as well.

"Yes, Sergeant, Him. Didn't you hear the clear stallion tone in his voice?" Luna asked, the Sergeant mumbled something and tuned away. "Well now that's out of the way, let's go find my sister."


The group came to the edge of the camp, they entered and passed many a pony. Many just stared at the creature as it stomped past, Luna realised that it's footsteps were accompanied by the sound a chains rattling. She was about to ask about it but a familiar voice caught her attention.

"Luna!"

"Sister!" Luna said happily and galloped to her sister, who was surrounded by the Main Six. They saw the creature and surprised looks came over them. Soon Celestia's eyes narrowed as she got a look at it. "Sister, before you ask. This creature saved me, I would of died if not for him." She explained and the hard glare faded from Celestia's eyes. "Though he doesn't seem to talk much." Luna added under her breath.

"So then, friend, I wish I could welcome you under better circumstances. But those invaders took our home, at the moment only a single objective comes to my mind. Free those griffins, now you don't need to help, but please listen. As a ruler, I've seen how my subjects act and how those griffins acted, they were desperate. So please, can you help us?" Celestia asked, in a pleading tone. The creature slowly turned to face Luna, it looked at her with it's eye. Then it broke the silence again.

"Affirmative."

Then Pinkie Pie piped up.

"So does that mean a party?" She asked, in the background Twilight facehoofed.


Canterlot Castle

A Brass Knight slowly walked into the throneroom, it spotted the Centurion and marched quickly towards it. The Brass Centurion was standing over the two thrones, it's hands behind it's back.

"We have captured the city, what are our orders?" The knight asked, the Centurion turned around and stared down at the knight.

"They freed one, a man from his armor... find that man and kill him." The Centurion barked and the knight slapped a salute across it's chest and sprinted down the halls. The Centurion turn back around to the thrones, not noticing a pair of blue eyes staring at it.

Author's Note:

So this chapter was quite fun to write, even though it was a bit serious I did try and add some humour to it, of course Pinkie needed to do her thing. So this new creature is, as most of you will have guessed, a human. I'll give a quick run down of his profile.

Name: William Sharp
Assignment: Captain of Brass Inquisitors
Doesn't talk much, stares a lot and is brutally honest, but gets quite attached to some. Don't mess with those he declares friends, or the gates of hell will open and you'll never sleep peacefully again.

So William will reveal his name in a latter chapter, because next chapter is on the border with Grerro, something's up at Griffinstone, talk of rebellion is reaching his ears. Now he needs to find them, but the eyes of the knights expand over Griffinstone, even under it...

Edit: The Smile Knight is no longer dissolved, as the newest chapter requires him alive... in a new form.

Mr BHunt out