• Published 1st Jul 2012
  • 4,505 Views, 112 Comments

Shipping Wars - Soothing Stone



When Fluttershy invites Spike to a romantic-ish dance, everypony tries to figure out why.

  • ...
15
 112
 4,505

Chapter 7

When Luna had said that, Twilight froze, afraid of what the princess might say to her. Did she do something wrong? Was she not as involved in the Dance as she should have?

And if she had done something wrong, would Celestia not be so happy about it? So many thoughts like that rushed through her mind, but no matter what, she still had to stand and face the sentence.

She walked back into the floor, and saw the grim stares of the Royal Canterlot Symphony. That didn't do any favors, suggesting they already knew what was coming.

"Twilight Sparkle, do you remember all that happened at Nightmare Night?" Luna mentioned, her expression as serious as it could be.

Twilight nodded, remembering that day vividly. Rainbow Dash in a Shadowbolts costume, Pinkie Pie doing a great job as a chicken, and how she herself had been there to help the alicorn with her problems with the infamous Royal Canterlot Voice.

"That was a night I wouldn't forget, either. That was...not the most wonderful night of my life. But you were there to help me throughout it all, when everypony was terrified at the very sight of me.

"I do not easily forget such things, and after I had returned to Canterlot, I recalled every moment of it for weeks. Everything that you had done for me."

The unicorn didn't understand what this meant. Yes, it was a good thing that she did was she did, but why did this mean that she had to stay after the Dance? Either way, she kept listening intently, careful not to appear like she wasn't listening.

"It wouldn't leave me alone, no matter what I had done. I didn't know why for months after it had happened, all the way to Hearth Warming's Eve.

"Shortly after that, I had learned of the friendship reports you and your friends were sending to Tia. I was curious about these when I discovered about them, so I asked Celestia if I could read the ones you sent after she was done with them. She agreed, and was generous enough to give every single one you had sent since you arrived in Ponyville.

"When I read them, I was touched, not just that you were paying attention to your studies like this, but I saw the way you were in those letters, every single letter. Your courage, your bravery, and your love..."

Twilight wiped the sweat off her forehead in relief. At least this wasn't because she wasn't lagging behind in studies...but she had an idea where this was going, and soon again she was sweating...

"It left me with a funny feeling. I didn't know what it was, I had never felt it before. It wasn't until your brother's wedding, when I heard of what you had done for Cadence, that I realized it.

"Twilight Sparkle, I...I..."

For the first time, Twilight had seen Princess Luna struggling to find the words to say. Luna moved her lips as if she was going to her next thought, only to choke and try again.

Finally, she took a deep breath. "Will you promise, no matter what happens after tonight, your view of me does not diminish?"

The unicorn's heart was pounding, as it had dawned on her what was coming up, and she nodded as much as possible.

"Twilight Sparkle, I love you."

Twilight's world had shattered when the words finally came out of Luna's mouth. She had no idea what to do next, because she didn't know how she felt. Was she supposed to return the love? Or was she supposed to run away and never talk to Luna again? She had no idea, it had been a long while since they had seen each other.

The alicorn watched as Twilight stood there, motionless, expressionless. She hung her head in shame, thinking it was a bust after all. All the preparation, all the money that had gone into the decor and bringing in the band, didn't mean anything if she was wrong. And it was turning out like she was.

She did her best to hide was she was feeling, and stood tall again. Octavia nodded and told the band that they were done for the night, and to put their instruments up.

"I apologize," Luna declared. "I know that not all mares have feelings for their own kind, and it is much to ask for, to say that you love a demigod. I shall proceed as if this had never happened, and thank you for your assistance tonight. Farewell."

She went and flew off to exit the building, ready to leave Ponyville and then let the tears go. But before she could leave, she heard a voice behind her, saying, "Wait."

It had come from Twilight Sparkle. The band realized where this was going, and got ready for the last song.

Luna turned around to see her assistant staring back at her, with watery eyes she hadn't seen before from the lead Element. Her hopes went up, but tried to not get carried away with things.

"You...you like me? You really like me?" she cried. "I...nopony ever liked me before...I'm not that special..."

The princess' heart sunk, hoping this meant what it looked like. "I know how hard it is to believe, that somepony like me would have feelings for you. But I do. I didn't know it, but now I know I always loved you, Twilight."

"But I'm nothing special...I'm just a student."

"Twilight Sparkle," Luna said with authority. "You are a remarkable unicorn, and I haven't seen somepony with as much potential as you. But that is not why I fell in love with you. I fell in love because of what you are, and what you are willing to do for those close to you. And I respect that."

"But...I don't deserve you--"

Twilight's thought was interrupted, as Luna decided words weren't going to work, and went and kissed her on the lips. The moment caught the unicorn off guard, and didn't do anything for a while.

But finally, like in Luna's dreams, she kissed back. She didn't know it either, but a part of her was in love with the Princess of the Night too. Her heart was aching for this moment, and she met Luna's kiss hungrily.

Luna couldn't describe the relief, the tension lifting, and the sheer joy that moment gave her. The fact that her love felt the same way...

She raised a hoof as a signal, and the Symphony began to play the song with the star at long last. This song was the slowest they had on their list, enough for the two new lovebirds to enjoy this as long as possible.

Twilight pulled back, her mouth agape at everything. "But what if everypony finds out? They'll be talking about this everywhere, and I don't know what I'd do--"

"I'll take care of that," Luna answered. "I knew that would be a concern, and this is worth the pain that will bring. Do not worry, I will be by your side when the time comes."

The purple unicorn sunk her face into Luna's neck, blushing her cheeks as red as they could get. Then she felt her front hooves moving, and looked down to see that the princess was moving them to begin a dance. She looked up to see her new lover give the most comforting smile she had ever seen, and they began to dance.

As Octavia lead the Symphony into the first minute of the song, Twilight and Luna circled around each other throughout the room, and they did it well without anypony really watching it, as the band was just focusing on getting the piece right.

Twilight let her heart go fully into this, with no more secrets, no more revelations, no more realizing her friends were dating behind her back weighing her down. She lost herself within Luna's eyes, letting her do as they felt.

Luna went slowly with the moves, allowing Twilight to adjust as they kept going around in circles, and she loved that this was finally happening. She pulled back for a bit, bowing to the unicorn, before taking her hooves again and moving around in lines now.

"I didn't know dancing was this easy," said Twilight. "Were you a great dancer before...your castle was in the Everfree Forest?"

"Yes, but I didn't have a partner until tonight," Luna confessed. "I wasn't in love anytime before I was banished. I didn't know why, nopony seemed to capture my heart, and I just danced alone in my bedroom sometimes. It was still fun to move around, let your hooves stretch to music like this."

"Thanks for that. I wouldn't know how to dance unless it was you leading me."

"Don't say that. You're doing great."

"You think so?"

"I know so. The less you think about what you're doing, the better you do, trust me."

Twilight believed it, stumbling when they were talking about it, and she did a marvelous job when she focused on Luna. That was the easy part right now.

Octavia played on, a small tear in her eye, as this unlikely love was starting to remind her of Vinyl Scratch. She went against type and missed a note when she thought about it, but snapped out of it and went back to work.

As the two continued to move around in lines and circles, they seemed to glide around the floor, moving with an ease not matched by many. Twilight lost herself in the melody, and Luna responded by caressing her hooves around her neck, to the point where Twilight seemed to be hovering just above the floor.

Is this real? Twilight thought. Am I really doing this? I...I can't believe this is happening. But I don't want it to end...

With Twilight clinging to her, Luna took it as a license to waltz a little faster than before. She was careful to be not too demanding, and held on tightly as she spun around in a dash. Both of their manes flew around like the wind of the storm yesterday.

The unicorn was taken off guard by the spinning, but when it was over, she came over and kissed Luna again. The princess stopped dancing and returned it back, and soon it was just one big kissing fit, one that made the entire Symphony blush and turn away.

They didn't stop, and Luna part through Twilight's mane with a hoof. The unicorn moaned and kept her hooves wrapped around the neck.

It was ironic, she admitted to herself. She had spent the last few days uncovering so many romances, so many secrets, and yet here she was, engaging in the beginning of another romance. Not to mention, it was looking like it was staying a secret too.

The final note was played, and the area was filled with a silence. But they didn't know that, as it was coming clear this was going to evolve into something more intimate soon.

"Did they stop?" Twilight asked, suddenly realizing it was quiet. "I liked that song."

"I know," Luna said. "I didn't know it was going to be this deep. If I had known, I would have asked them to play another song after that one."

Twilight laughed, looking down and blushing at the thought. "That's alright. It was fine as it was. What happens next?"

"That's for you to decide," Luna answered, putting a hoof on the unicorn's chin. "But I did have something in mind, if it's what you want."

"What did you have in mind?"

The princess lowered her head to Twilight's level. "Would you like to come back with me to Canterlot, just for the night? I understand if you're not comfortable with that yet."

"Of course I would!" Twilight exasperated, with an enthusiasm that surprised them both. "But what about Spike? He's expecting me to come back any moment."

"I'll have a Royal Guard come in and say I have business to settle with you. It is the truth in a way."

Twilight nodded, and followed Princess Luna outside, to the crisp air outside, leaving the Symphony by itself.

"Wasn't that how you first met Vinyl?" asked Beauty Brass to Octavia.

"What?" Octavia shot back. "Not like that! Do you really think either one of us liked each other the first night we met? It just happened, I swear!"

"That's not what I heard."

"It's Vinyl. She has a wild imagination."

Back outside, the two girls arrived outdoors, and Luna nodded to the Royal Guard pegasi waiting outside. The Guards left and appeared to go inside a garage building down the street. The night was clear of any clouds, and the moon was a few days shy of a full moon.

"So how are we traveling to Canterlot?" Twilight asked.

"You'll see," Luna responded.

Soon, the Guards emerged out of the building, with a chariot tied to their backs. Twilight gasped, as the thought of going in something built for a princess...it was kind of a secret fantasy for her some nights.

"How many times have you been up in the air, getting the view Rainbow Dash has?" Luna asked.

"Not enough! Did you do this just for me?"

"I did come in here in that, and no matter what I would still be riding that. But I was hoping I would leave with you."

The student kept prancing around, and exploded inside the carriage area when Luna held the door open. This night was going to stay crazy throughout, the princess sighed to herself.

She got inside, and shook the reigns to give the Guards the green light to fly. They spread their wings and started to flap, lifting off the ground inch by inch. In time, they were high above the sight of Ponyville, and took off.

Twilight was looking down the entire time, getting a bird's eye view of that part of Equestria. This view wasn't new to her, having her own hot air balloon, but the thrill of it didn't wear off. And as the Guards sped away to Canterlot, this was even better, the speed of the movement adding to the excitement.

"I knew you would like it," Luna laughed, watching her lover raise her hooves in the air like she was on a roller coaster. "That's why I came by chariot."

"Oh Luna, I don't just like it, I love it!" Twilight cried, hugging Luna so tight she later wondered if she heard a rib crack. "This is so awesome, and you get to do this so often! It must be incredible!"

"It is, it really is. Maybe one day, you can use a spell that will give you wings for a moment, just to see what it's like."

"I know that spell, and it's really tricky. It takes a lot out of me to do."

"It isn't bad for me. But I'll save it for later."

The Element smiled, and leaned her head on Luna's shoulder for the remainder of the ride. It was a spectacular one, giving her a view of places she had never seen like this before. Even if it was just a standard night outside of this, it single handedly made the night awesome.

Within an hour, the castle of Canterlot was visible over the horizon. It stood quietly, and by now all but the night watch Guards would be asleep, Celestia included. The chariot landed on the ground before the city gates, and used its wheels to approach the entrance.

They watched with hooves intertwined as the night watch let the chariot in, on account of Luna alone, though Twilight would get a free pass too as an Element of Harmony. Soon, they were in the lantern-lit streets of the unicorn's hometown.

Yet the castle felt different as they arrived at its steps. Obviously it was because of her new relationship with Luna, but...she couldn't tell what it was, but it felt like the castle had a bunch of secrets she wasn't aware of, and only now were they willing to reveal themselves to her.

They piled out of the chariot, but Luna stopped Twilight with a hoof in her path before they got any closer.

"Twilight, you know that one day, we'll have to come public with this," she said. "But for now, you cannot tell a soul what happened tonight. And because of that, we can't let the Guards know why you're here. So we might have to take that dress off before we go inside."

Twilight nodded, and piece by piece Luna removed the clothing, giving them to a Guard to place back in a basement for now. She looked normal again, giving no hint that she was at the Dance tonight.

Soon, they went up the stairs, and Luna pushed the door open with her own hooves. The door swung open, and there wasn't a Guard here just yet. She motioned for Twilight to follow her, and she lead the unicorn throughout the hallways of the castle, over to the direction of her bedroom.

They did encounter a few guards, but every time Luna took care of the problem, and told them the story that she wanted Twilight as a consultant through magical studies. All the Guards believed it, and greeted the Element for coming around again. So far, so good.

After what felt like a few minutes of traveling through endless hallways and false doors, they had arrived at the opening doors of Luna's bedroom, marked with the same blotch of black with a crescent moon that she had for a cutie mark.

"Are you ready?" she asked. "I haven't had anypony done this before, so I'm just as nervous as you are."

Twilight nodded, and the doors opened in, revealing a room with more splendor than the decor the gym had featured.

Luna's bedroom was enormous, two stories tall and as big as a regular sized house. The walls were painted in a dark blue scheme, and even the chandelier above had blue lights, creating a surreal experience that felt like the night sky, as intended. The floor was marked to be a map of the cosmos known to ponies at the moment, with the galaxies on it more than a little familiar to Twilight, seeing pictures of them in some of her astronomy books.

Finishing it off, the canopy bed was massive, big enough for two full families to have all the room they wanted. It had silk sheets for the covering, and a wool blanket to boot. In general, it was really fancy.

"It just keeps getting better and better!" Twilight cried. "This is one of the best bedrooms ever!"

"Celestia's bedroom makes this look like a commoner's, but please keep it down," Luna warned. "There could still be a Guard around someplace."

She nodded, and they went to work on getting the doors shut. They locked into place with a click, and now they had the other all to themselves.

"I don't know what to say," Twilight admitted. "I...I love you too."

"I know," Luna said. "And I want to show it to you in the best way imaginable, if you don't mind."

"What do you mean?" Twilight puzzled. She wasn't as knowledgeable about such things as Luna was, because it wasn't on the top of her mind.

"You don't know?"

She shook her head.

"I...I want to do what they call 'merging of the souls', where two ponies become one. Do you know what that means?" she asked, levitating her crown and neck jewelry to a nearby table.

Twilight's heartbeat shot up, that WAS a term she had heard before. It was supposed to be so intimate, she had no idea at first if she was ready, which would be fine, because Luna gave her a door to just sleep in.

But the more she thought about it, the more she realized she was ready after all. She wanted this.

"I know what that means...and I want it."

"Are you sure? I love you, but if you do this, there is no going back. We'll be together in soul even if we decide to split, and it's going to stick with you forever."

"That's why I want it. I don't want to look back."

Luna nodded, and came over to Twilight. They quickly went straight for French kissing, their hooves glued to the other's neck. Twilight moaned through the kissing again as Luna stroked her mane with a hoof, as they slowly trotted to the bed.

In turn, Twilight rubbed all over Luna's backside, her mind starting to cloud up. The princess shuddered, not having anypony touch her like that. That only encouraged Twi more, slowly massaging around her saddle area, and getting to the neck as well.

To counter that, Luna took over and enveloped her in magic, and took her over to the bed directly, landing Twilight on her back. She climbed over the unicorn, and both their heartbeats pounded wildly as they kissed again.

"Stop," moaned Twilight.

"What's the matter?" asked Luna.

"Do you know what to do next? It's my first time..."

"Don't worry about it. I know what to do, let me take care of it."

"I trust you, just be gentle on me..."

-----------------

After it was over, both of them were panting like dogs, and Luna collapsed by Twilight's side. They went over and kept kissing furiously, though not as crazy with the hoof patting as before.

Twilight pulled off and leaned her body on Luna's, crying in joy.

"That was the best moment of my life," she gasped.

"It was for me, too," Luna responded. "I...I didn't know what it was like to do that, merge the souls like that. But now that I do...I don't know if I ever loved somepony as much as I did then."

"Oh Luna, that's what I'm starting to love about you. You say exactly what you're thinking, and it's adorkable."

"What does 'adorkable' mean? Is this one of those words you ponies made while I was banished?"

"It merges the words adorable and dork together. It's a compliment, I promise."

"I hope so. My mother always said, if you ever want to keep somepony as your friend for life, you have to be honest all of the time. Does that apply for what this is?"

"I think so. I think Rarity and Fancy Pants started it off as friends, so it works."

"I agree. So what is it on your mind right now?"

"I'm really nervous about what happens after we wake up tomorrow."

"Why is that so? Did I not do so well tonight?"

"No, Celestia no. You were wonderful. But I'm still worried about what will happen when they find out about...us."

"How do you think they will respond to this, if you don't mind me asking?"

"I think my friends won't hang out with me anymore."

"Now that is preposterous. Did you break up with Rarity when you found out she was in love with Fancy Pants, or looked down on Spike when you found out he likes Sweetie Belle?"

"No, but this is different. I slept with a princess. The princess part changes everything, you know."

"It does, but do not think about it anymore than you already have. There is no reason why they would value you as a friend any less because you love me, and even if they do, that means they weren't really your friends to begin with."

"But I love my friends! I don't want them to shun me because of who I chose to love!"

"They won't. And even if they do, I will always be there with you, no matter what happens." She kissed Twilight on the forehead, cuddling her close in hopes she could feel her love for the unicorn.

"You promise?"

"I promise."

They shared one final kiss together, before they snoozed off in each other's hooves, into the twilight of sleep.