• Published 12th Feb 2017
  • 2,206 Views, 44 Comments

Because You Are My Sister - Maverick Cloud



After hearing that her twin-brother would be in the Birthday Ceremony of Princess Twilight Sparkle, Lightning Dust decides to meet up with him to finaly fix things up. But what was suppose to be a happy reencounter ended up beeing a total mess.

  • ...
3
 44
 2,206

Chapter 1 - The Day That Almost Never Comes

"Yo Lightning! we need some more clouds up here!" Yelled the pegasus mare who was preparing the weather for Baltimare. It was going to be a warm day after the rainstorm that happened in the previous night.

Lightning Dust, who was cleaning some dark clouds calmly so that she wouldn't get herself electrified by the thunder, gave the mare a nod and continued with the task of take off the more heavy clouds. "In a minute, Hydro. Just let me deal with this one and i'll help you with that."

It had been one and a half year now. before this time, Lightning Dust was a happy and energetic pegasus who loved a challenge. She wanted nothing more than to become a wonderbolt and make her family proud of her. To make her father proud of the daughter he had.
Long time ago, her father served the Royal Guard as a brave colonel and was one of the responsibles for the great triumph that Equestria had on wars agains their enemies. Some even said that he was the one who inspired Shining Armor to become the Capitan of the Royal Guard that he is today. But he wasn't just a instrument of war or a pony who decides victories for his kingdom. He had his soldiers to command and also had the whole responsibility for them and their welfare. However, there was something that he would give up on everything just for it to be breathing, something that he would give his life over it just so that it sees the Celestial Sun rising again, something that would make him face all of the dragons and changelings in the world just so that it keeps safe from all the evil around the kingdom, and that thing was something called familly.
A beautiful and caring wife who was always by his side in every step they took. Two lovely foals who meant more to him than any victory over the past years: a healthy orange pegasus colt and a beautiful light-blue pegasus filly. When they where born he felt like all the battles where gone, that there was no war, only peace and happiness everywhere he looked and he couldn't enjoy life more than what he has enjoyed that time. The foals and his wife had a pretty good life in Manehattan. They had great friends and studied in one of the best schools of the city while their mother was a nurse in Manehattan's Hospital. They saw their father as the best hero a colt could ever take his eyes on. Even though he wasn't always on contact with them, he would do the impossible to see them, taking presents and playing baseball with both of his twins. Some years after those events, they also had a new colt who they named First Base. Life had never seem so good for the Colonel.

However, good things only last for so long.

A secret organisation was being known for several acts of bioterrorism against innoscents by using live beings for something called "natural selection". It started with wild animals, and after significant success they began to use ponies for their tests. The only problem was that several of these ponies died after the virus, that they called "Embrionza", was injected in their bodies. The others who survived where kepts in captivity, suffering from the side effects that the virus caused, including strong headache, uncontrollable fever and insatiable itchy skin. And as if this wasn't enough, their leader began to use griffons and dragons to their tests, which wasn't an easy task capture them. The leader of this organization was a mysterious unicorn mare who never showed her face to anypony, but she called herself "Clear Light" for the scientists and mercenaries who worked for her. Always wearing a black overcoat and dark glasses, she was always watching those ponies, griffons and dragons suffer due to her experiments to create a new race of super beings capable of doing the unthinkable. A new race of powerful beings would rule the entire world. She would be the Goddess of this new world, and nothing could stop her.

"Steel Frontier, show me the results of your last tests please." Ordered Clear Light while she faced one of many monitor screens showing the ones she was making tests on.

The stallion who she was refering to was sweating out of nervousness. Fearing of saying the news of the results. "Ma'am, the results showed that the griffons had a lot of advance in the new test of the Embrionza virus, they are having w-way more resistence than the rest of the species." Said Steel Frontier as he began to tremble, fearing that his boss would ask for more information.

"Good" That's all she said, she kept her eyes at those screens, seeing those innocent live beeings screaming out of pain and crying for desire to go home. "Anything else?"

The words that the stallion feared most came out of Clear's mouth like poison. Swallowing in dry, he answered "Yes m-m-ma'am. The d-dragons, they... they d-d-didn't survived."

Clear Light turned her head slowly towards Steel Frontier. Still keeping her serious expression while looking to the frightened stallion behind her, she said "I see... Explain yourself."

the sudden slightly voice tone change was enough to make his whole body start to shiver. For a several moment, Steel Frontier kept his terrified eyes directed to his boss, struggling to find the right words. After growing herself impatient, she made a full turn towards Steel Frontier and began to slowly trot towards the stallion. "You gave me your word that the same mistake wouldn't happen again. And yet you managed to kill the rest of our dragons. Do you know what that means?"

As the mare finished, Steel Frontier shut his eyes as fast as his brain could process. He knew very well what happens with those who fails the same mistake twice. He saw that happening before, and he sure didn't want the same happening to him. As he remembered the pain of the other scientists and mercenaries who failed twice on Clear's command, the fear took the best of him and he began to cry. "Please, Mistress! Have mercy on me! I'll do whatever you desire!" He fell on his knees and screamed in despair. "PLEASE! DON'T KILL ME!!!"

With the same voice tone, she said "Don't you worry, you still have potential for me. After all this time that you kept beeing loyal to me and making us get more near to our goal, I won't waste such a great scientist such as yourself." That made Steel have a little bit of hope. Maybe his Mistress would forgive him again.

Or so he thought.

"Instead, you'll be my new addition to the Hakai Project." With that, all of Steel's hope vanished like a drop of water in the hot desert.

"No... NO! MISTRESS, PLEASE!" The stallion vainly screamed.

"Take him to the virus injection room." Ordered Clear Light to the soldiers near the door. The stallion kept struggling and screaming while being immobilized by the soldiers. After some time he was finally taken to the room that their boss ordered. The chances of him surviving the test were near zero. But if he did, he would still have to deal with the collateral effects and the chance of becoming a monster. But that, seeing by Clear Light's eyes, is the new world of ultra resistent life beings that herself would command. A world free from diseases and full of powerful beings. The ones rejected would perish and the rest that the virus "accepted" would be responsible for the drastic change in the way of living.

"Nothing will stop my world from rising." Clear Light said while turning to the monitors again. "And when the day comes" she opened herself a malevolus smile that could be seen from out of her overcoat "I'll be the Goddess of this New World!"


The Colonel was packing his things to head up to the meeting point, where him and a group of well trained soldiers and the new recruits would strike against this group of bioterrorists. After so much time trying to find a safe source of the terrorists location, they decided to strike down the group and their leader. And their main objective: Secure as many hostages as possible.

He put on his platinum armor, connecting the torso part of the armor using a rare jewel that was connected to the armor to put it together in his chest, picked up his loyal spear, which its tip had a similar profile as an elegant sword. It was basicaly two weapons in one. Before leaving, he headed to where his wife was sleeping like a filly after a long nightmare night collecting candies.

He stood there, listening to her cute breaths and watching her torso going up and down with every breath she took. "You know i didn't want this time to comes" He said while stroking her soft mane.

Is that really worth it? Risk your life when you have four mouths to feed was something that nopony would want to do. Not when there's the chance of getting all of your family in disorder. Without a member who's the main pillar of this family it will fall like a shed in a landslip area.

Of course it is worth it! It was on his code ever since he was a recruit: Protect and Serve.

But at the same time, he was afraid. Afraid of never seeing his wife and kids again. After realising he was a familly stallion, he began to question himself if he should quit or stay in the army. At anytime something could go wrong and he would be called to settle things down with the chance of getting himself killed.

It was a battle inside his head. If he quit the army, the chances of the soldiers to have a leader as good as him was near zero, and that would lead the empire into darkness if another war happened. If he stayed, there would be a big chance of him meeting his destiny and never seeing his wife and children again.

He was going to make this mission and then decide once and for all if he was going to stay or leave.

As he was going down the staircase, he noticed a glowing yellow light coming from the kitchen and he thought that one of the kids had come down for some water. "Great" he sarcastically thought "I was hopping i could leave without anypony noticing. I hate goodbyes."

"Dad?"came out a quietly innocent voice from a very young Lightning Dust who was holding a glass of water on her little hoof. "Where are you going?"

He sighed and turned to face a slightly tired filly looking directly into his eyes. "Hey Lighty. You were supposed to be sleeping."

She didn't said a word. She didn't even blinked. And all he could see was that curious stare into him.

"Well... you see, Lightning. I'm going on a mission. I want you and your brother to take care of your mother while i'm gone and--" He didn't had the chance to finish due to Lightning bursting out of surprise and anger.

"WHAT!! YOU NEVER TALKED ABOU--hmmph hmph" Before she could finish, a hoof silenced her down. Thankfully the mare sleeping upstairs had a heavy sleep, but not the orange pegasus however.

"Look sweetie, I don't like this either. But it's needed, or else the results will be catastrophic" he said while still holding her mouth. They stayed like this for 20 seconds. Lightning replaced her anger with sorrow, and tears began to appear in her eyes.

He puted her glass of water in the wooden floor and said "Look, Lightning... sigh I hate what i'm about to do, I really do hate. I wanna stay here with you and your brother, belive me!"

"Than why are you leaving?"

Those words have not come from Lightning Dust. It came from upstairs from the alerted orange colt who woke up due to his sister's scream

"If you wanna stay so much..." he beggan going down the stairs, which made the stallion even more unconfortable with all of this. "...why are you going?"

"I need to do this... There's this group that are trying to contaminate the entire planet with a virus." He explained. After he finished, he could see both of his kids with tears running down their faces. He needed to do something about this, to make them feel not afraid of what could go wrong.

"I'll do this last mission and then I'll stay here forever. I promisse. This will be the last time I'll do a mission, and then I'll stay here with you." Now it was his time to have tears going down his face. That's why he hated goodbyes. It always ended up on painful tears.

Lightning Dust, who had her eyes shut, opened her eyes to face her father once more and asked for something that made the heart of all the ponies there heavy as a big sledgehammer.

"Please... come back alive"

Her father didn't knew what to say. He couldn't promise something he wasn't sure it would happen.

"I will, Lightning... I..." he sniffed before he could end his sentence. But in the main time, Flash spoke something that made him want to disappear from everyone and everything.

"Promisse us. Promisse us you will be back"

"I promisse"

He knew he shouldn't had said that. He knew there was a chance of him to break this promisse. But he knew deep inside that this was the only way out of that situation.

without warning, the twins hugged him. It was the tightest hug he ever recieved from anypony. They hugged him like he was never coming back.

He returned the hug with a grim in his face. At this momment, he had finally made his decision.

He was going to quit the army after this last mission.

All he nedded was in that home, not in the army.

It was his dream, it was what gave him determination to be always better than yesterday. And now he'll just throw it away.

All for his familly.

The Colonel finally let it go. He kissed his children's forehead and, with a last goodbye, he was gone. Lightning Dust and Flash Sentry just stood there, looking to the closed door in front of them. Lightning Dust lowered her head with her eyes half closed with some tears running down her face. After sniffing two times, he looked to her side to find that her brother wasn't there anymore. Instead, he was in the kitchen, with his mind lost in thoughts. Lightning got closer to him and he said "I have a bad feeling, Lightning."

Lightning, beeing the one who always raised his morale, cleared her face and puted a smile on her face "Don't worry, bro."

Flash turned his head, surprised at her change of tone "Daddy had always win those battles. He's gonna win this one for sure!" Even though Lightning also had the same bad feeling, she was doing her best to hide it just to make her brother feel better.

"You'll see. He's gonna be back with a ton of new games for us and where gona play all day and night."

Flash saw the smile in the filly. That smile that makes all of his bad thought disappear. He always loved his sister because she was always making his sorrow go away. Always making him feel safe and bright again, like all of the problems he had was already solved. He smiled back and hugged her with passion. The warm sensation provided by their bodies made them both happy again, not like before where Lightning was trying to make him feel better, she was really happy to have him at her side, making her feel better as well.

"Thank you, sis" Flash whispered on her year. "Thanks for everything. You're the best sister in the world, Lightning"

"Lightning..."

his voice stayed on a loop inside her head.

"Lightning..."


"LIGHTNING!"

"Huh?" The pegasus snaped out of her thoughts when she heard her friend Hydro calling for her. She shaked her head and saw Hydro flying above her

"Come on, our shift is over."

"Oh... yeah-- right, I uhh... I'm coming"

And with that, she flies towards the building of the weater ponies.

After some seconds though, she slowed down while those words came to mind again. You're the best sister in the world, Lightning.

She knew what she had done in the wonderbolts. She also knew what she had done to her familly. That made her feel horrible. Knowing she was suppose to make her father proud and then going away like that.

Worst of all, her brother trusted her. He said he was sure she would become the best flier the wonderbolts would ever see.

And now here she is, being a weather pony where neither her familly or anypony she knew could see her as a failure.

"I'm so sorry... bro"

She cleared her face and headed to the building, doing her best in not thinking she was a failure even though she knew she was.

Author's Note:

Well, that took longer than it should. So yeah, this is the first chapter. If there's any grammar errors or if you have any suggestions just leave a comment below.

Also, i didn't gave a name for Lightning and Flash's parents because i wanted you to decide which one is the best, so just comment their names

the next chapter will take some time to come due to college stuff (and also because i'm pretty lazy :twilightsheepish:). But I'll do my best