• Published 12th Feb 2017
  • 2,199 Views, 44 Comments

Because You Are My Sister - Maverick Cloud



After hearing that her twin-brother would be in the Birthday Ceremony of Princess Twilight Sparkle, Lightning Dust decides to meet up with him to finaly fix things up. But what was suppose to be a happy reencounter ended up beeing a total mess.

  • ...
3
 44
 2,199

Chapter 4 - Avalanche

As the train got closer to Ponyville, Lightning Dust tried to keep her mind straight. She still had no idea what to say to Flash once they bumped into one another. If anything she planned on just listen to him speak his mind and vent, then, if her brain didn't decide to stop working by that point, answer all of his questions.

If she went through with it.

That was what Lightning feared most right now. Her mind just giving up on her after hearing his brother. How much had Flash changed? She was both excited and scared to see him. She was finally going to see her brother after all these months, though not necessarily the way she wanted.

There was also another problem: getting into the castle. A birthday party for the Princess of Friendship herself warranted an invitation. As luck would have it, Lightning didn't have one, and even if she did she doubted Princess Twilight would allow her inside the castle. If the princess still remembered her, Lightning might as well be royally banned from the town on the spot. They weren’t on the best of terms ever since the incident at the academy.

But that had been almost two years now. Princess Twilight couldn’t be mad at her forever, right? For Goddess’ sake, she was the Princess of Friendship. She had to be over it by now.

Right?

After some time the Castle of Friendship could be seen in the distance. A voice from the rear of the car announced the train’s next stop. Lightning's heart beat even faster now.

"Okay. Just calm down, Lightning. You've come way too far to fail now. You can do this," she said to herself. The train started to brake and come to a full stop in front of Ponyville's train station. Lightning stepped out and onto the platform to be greeted by a cold wind that brushed several dead leaves against her side. "I should've brought my jacket," she grumbled.

She then settled her gaze onto the bright crystal tower in the distance. "Now... Friendship Castle it is." She wasted no time in opening her wings and flying off towards her destination. Ponyville seemed noticeably different compared to what she remembered. A few structures appeared to have been renovated and others were new. Not to mention the castle -- it gave such an unique touch to the once small town, though it posed the hazard of blinding anyone if the sun’s rays hit the crystalline structure just right.

“My eyes!” shouted some unlucky sap.

Like so.

Lightning caught sight of a small building with a steeple that she quickly recognised as the schoolhouse. She considered making a quick detour to say a quick hello to her younger brother, but decided against it. Knowing First Base, he’d end up telling their mother and complicate things.

Maybe later, after things were taken care of with Flash.

She landed outside the castle perimeter, finding cover behind some bushes to ensure no one saw her. Not that it mattered -- there wasn't a single soul to be found around the castle, not even a guard at the entrance

“Huh. A castle with no guards.” Lightning remarked. “Either they’re inside for some R&R or security around here’s a total joke.”

Before she could proceed further, a butter-yellow pegasus carrying a couple of colorful packages on her back made a landing before the front doors. She knocked -- more like tapped -- on the doors and patiently waited.

Could she be the first guest?

A pink aura glowed around the knobs as the doors opened, revealing Twilight Sparkle, the Princess of Friendship herself. "Oh, hey Fluttershy,” she greeted with a smile. “I was wondering when you’d come."

"Hello, Twilight. Um... here you go,” quietly said the timid pegasus, whom Lightning associated with the name Fluttershy. She handed the package over to Twilight. "Happy birthday."

"Aww, Fluttershy. You didn't have to." The alicorn said with the most thankful expression she could make.

"Of course I had to. It's your birthday."

The two friends shared a moment of laughter before the alicorn spoke again. "Come on in. Almost everyone is here."

From her hiding spot in the bushes, Lightning arched an eyebrow. "Almost everyone?" She said quietly. From the sound of that, odds were high Flash had already shown up. If that was the case, then no turning back now. She already came this far and it would be pointless to just give up right before the finish line.

She just needed to deal with the matter of getting inside without arousing the attention of the princess or her friends.

Lightning smirked. Like I’d back away from a challenge, she thought as she ducked and rolled behind another nearby bush. She scanned the area. There had to be another way inside the castle other than the front doors. Maybe the back door, or a ventilation shaft. Or a secret passage? Every castle (at least the cooler ones) has one of those, right? Or what about--

An open window.

“Well, that was a rip-off.” Lightning deadpanned.

Without thinking twice, Lightning jettisoned herself through the open window. On the other side was a bedroom simple in style and laden with amenities fit for a foal, namely books in a shelf, a stuffed bear neatly nestled on the bed, and kites. Lots of kites.

“Cute. Must be the dragon’s room.”

To her luck, no one had been in the room when she landed. Excellent. No witnesses, easier to venture further undetected. Now to head off to the party itself and mingle.


Twilight Sparkle had motioned Fluttershy inside when she sensed motion in her peripheral vision. She turned to see five familiar faces trotting their way to the castle.

She grinned ear to ear. "They're here!" Elated, she immediately opened her wings and burst towards them. Before the newcomers could process the purple blur coming straight at them, Twilight came to a halt and found herself in her brother’s hooves. Through his chest she could hear Shining Armor chuckle as he returned the eager embrace, two of many things she missed dearly from her big brother.

Truly, the loving bond between brother and sister is a beautiful sight to behold.

"I'm so happy to see you, BBBFF!"

Shining smiled. "Likewise, Twily. Likewise.”

Having finished savoring the embrace, the siblings broke away. Twilight then turned her attention to the other guests, the infant alicorn in her stroller in particular. "Awwww. And who's this cutie little sweetroll?" Twilight cooed with the goofiest and most adorable voice she could muster while cuddling Flurry Heart. "You came to the birthday of your BAE?"

Flash and Sunburst shared a look, then bit their lip and tried their best to resist the urge to laugh. Flash had it easy managing his composure, his training a valuable asset in remaining for the most part stone-faced. Sunburst was more or less successful, chuckling through his throat and keeping as quiet as possible.

Shining arched an eyebrow, as did Cadance whom asked, "Twilight... what does 'BAE' stand for?"

"It stands for 'Best Aunt Ever'. What else could it possibly stand for?" Twilight grew curious, nervous, and perhaps slightly frustrated at the stallions’ immature behavior. "Hehe... what are you laughing at?"

"Oh, it's nothing Princess. R-r-really, it's nothing." Sunburst wheezed. "W-we just remembered something."

Flash managed to clear his throat. “Yeah. Just one of those private jokes you just randomly remember, y’know?”

"Oooookay then.” A moment of awkward silence passed before Twilight cleared her throat. "Well, why don't you all come inside? It's getting cold out here.”

"Oh, before that...” Cadance started innocently, gently nudging her bodyguard forward. “Flash, why don't you offer your present to Her Highness?"

Shining rolled his eyes.

Flash confusedly glanced back at Cadance. She always acted rather odd whenever they were around Princess Twilight. I wonder what's her deal, he thought before compartmentalizing said thought and obeying his princess’s more-than suggestion.

Kneeling, he held out his wing to offer his gift. “Happy birthday, Princess Twilight. I always wish you the best."

"Aww, Thank you, Flash. You're so kind." Twilight used her magic to grab the package. “But you don't need to call me Princess. We are friends after all."

Cadence smiled almost deviously. "For now.” she muttered.

Shining sighed. "Really?"

"Hush, dear." she said to her husband.

By then, Twilight’s struggle with the wrapping paper ended with a victory. The reward it begat for her efforts made her eyes glow with happiness and joy.

"My Kinsmare!? But how!? This went out of print years ago, and had a limited publication run to begin with.” And there it was, held by her aura. Twilight let out a fangirlish scream that forced Flash and company to cover their ears, lest they intended their eardrums to bleed.

“THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!! THIS IS THE BEST GIFT EVER!!!" She threw herself at Flash and hugged him with all her strength. For a bookworm, she was strong. Really strong. Flash pegged it on the one-third earth pony of her alicorn biology. He however needed not question her infectious enthusiasm nor the gleeful grin she wore -- those were definitely all Twilight.

Twilight at last came down from her high. Her grip around Flash loosened yet they remained connected. Her smile softened and he couldn't help but smile back in return.

The affectionate scene triggered Shining Armor to break the two apart. "Alright, Twily. I think you've shown Sentry enough gratitude. Let's go to the castle, shall we?" Shining quickly levitated his and Cadance’s bags over to Flash, intending to keep his subordinate occupied and less likely to try anything… questionable.

Cadence eyed her husband, well aware of his motives. “Resistance is futile, dear.”

“I just don't think it's a good idea to push a relationship between them.

Her tone grew mirthful. “You dare question the wisdom of the Princess of Love?”

Shining gulped. Probably best if he didn't answer that question.


For somepony like the Princess of Friendship, she didn't have many friends -- or anyone for that matter -- in her castle.

Those were Lightning’s thoughts as she navigated the labyrinth of hallways. The castle was pretty much devoid of any life, not even a fly on the wall. She didn't even bother applying stealth as she slowly, but surely, made her way to the castle’s main hall.

"Guess Flash hasn't come yet... wait." Her ear quivered at the sound of multiple voices coming from behind a door. Were they party guests? This had to be the main hall then, and she could ask them if Flash had shown up.

But what if Twilight was there? Would she even recognize Lightning?

It was a big risk, but Lightning decided to try it anyway. She opened the door to a big room with six big crystal chairs and another smaller one. A table that also appeared to be constructed of crystal sat in the center, a three-dimensional map of Equestria on it. She could see some of the chairs were occupied by ponies she didn’t recognize, though she deduced the dragon to be Spike, the princess’s number one assistant.

None of them had yet noticed the newcomer, a fact Lightning decided to change by clearing her throat. All occupants halted whatever they were doing and directed their attention towards the stranger at the door.

"Excuse me. I'm looking f--"

A rainbow blur shot up from behind one of the chairs. "Hang on a second! I know you!"

Horseapples, not her...

Rainbow scowled. Hard. "Lightning Dust. You’re either really gutsy or really stupid to show your face here. Especially during Twilight’s birthday. What do you want this time?" She hovered mere inches from Lightning’s face, far from letting up on her wrath. "Planning something, huh? Wasn't enough for you to almost kill my friends with that tornado? Think again, failure, 'cause I’m not gonna let you wreck my friends the way you did back then!"

"Wait, she is the ruffian?" The white unicorn asked

Failure.

The word made Lightning Dust's heart heavier than before. All the bad things she’d done at the Wonderbolts Academy were falling on her mind like an avalanche. The obstacle course, the tornado, even the notion she was responsible for Rainbow practically gave up on her dream because of Lightning’s actions, all weighed heavily. And to think she could’ve been on the Reserves had Spitfire not intervened.

"I'M NOT HERE TO HURT ANYONE!!!" she shouted, so loud it practically echoed throughout the castle. It also had the effect of rendering everyone present silent. Lightning took a deep breath to calm herself. "Look, I'm only looking for my brother. Have you see him?"

"Brother? I don't remember you ever telling me you had a brother." Rainbow replied rather vehemently.

"Well, I did and I'm looking for him! So could you just shut up for a second? I'm already feeling bad enough as it is!" Lightning was quickly losing all patience, replaced by a rising urge to punch Rainbow. All she wanted was help, and Rainbow just had to land a low blow.

"Who the hay do you think you are telling me to shut up?" Rainbow shot back.

By now the angry inferno within Lightning practically lit up her eyes with unbridled flaming fury. Her teeth were bared in a scowl that could make even the manliest of stallions cry. Rainbow was really pushing her buttons.

“Someone whose head isn't all the way up inside her plot!”

Now it was Rainbow’s buttons receiving punishment. “My head inside my plot?”

“Did I stutter or does your hearing suck?” It was a blow to her pride, but at this point anger outweighed judgment.

An orange pony with a stetson stepped in before a fight could break out. "Ah'right, ya two, that's enough! This ain't the time or place for fightin’!"

"But Applejack! She was the one who--"

"Ah don't care what she did!"

"Bu--"

Applejack put her hoof down. "Don't test mah patience, Rainbow Dash."

The Princess of Friendship burst through the doors, clearly exasperated at the commotion. Several other ponies followed close behind. "What in the name of Starswirl the Bearded is going on here?!" she demanded.

Rainbow wasted no time playing the blame game by gesturing to her ex-wingpony. "She started it!"

This was getting out of hand. A sigh escaped Lightning as she facehooved. "Rainbow, for the last time--"

"I don't remember asking you a darn thing!"

That was the last straw. Before Rainbow had a chance to react, Lightning rushed her and slammed her against one of the crystal thrones. The cyan pegasus struggled, but her turquoise counterpart kept her pinned down with ease. Lightning glared her straight in the eyes. When she spoke, her tone held an icy edge.

"Shut up, you egocentric motherf--"

Behind Lightning and the others, several guards came pouring out from the doors and formed a protective barrier around Princess Twilight.

One of them addressed her. “Your Highness, we heard a disturbance. Is everything alright?”

“No, nothing’s alright.” Rainbow cut in. “Maverick here is trying to stir up trouble.”

“Me? You blew up before I even said three to you!” Technically five, but the meaning remained the same.

The pink pony piped up. “Does shouting solve all my problems!?”

Not even crickets chirped in the ensuing awkward silence. Everyone in the room laid eyes on her either out of confusion, perturbation, or a combination of the two, at such spontaneous absurdly.

“Lightning?”

Lightning’s heart nearly stopped. That voice… was it really him?

She turned, her heart beating faster than the past few minutes and nearly stopping once again at the sight beheld. A very familiar blue-maned pegasus in the Guard’s golden armor had pushed his way past the wall made of his brethren, his face a mixture of emotions Lightning couldn't quite decipher. As if that mattered. The day she wished had finally come.

She found her brother.

“Flash?”

It may have been dust in her eyes, or perhaps the work of stealthy onion-wielding ninjas; whatever the case, Lightning found her vision rather blurry. She needed to be elsewhere. No one could see her like this.

Lightning ran.

Flash watched his sister run and push past the princess’s entourage of friends and guards. No one made an attempt to pursue, not even Rainbow Dash. It had become evident a personal matter had arisen and required tender loving care from the right pony.

It didn't take long for him to catch up. Lightning was quick on her hooves, but certainly faster with her wings. Had she flown, she would've been far from Ponyville by now.

But she wasn't. Flash knew Lightning wanted to be found.

By him.

He found her in one of the castle’s many hallways, head hung low and sniffling, the latter’s sounds rebounding and amplified thanks to the crystalline walls.

"L-Lighty? Sis?"

Right there in front of him was his sister whom he cared so much. Flash could barely form words to express how felt at the moment. Shock, anger, but most of all, joy. All that came out of his mouth was, “Is… is this real?”

She turned to him. "Flash... I-I can explain." Lightning put all effort in trying to talk, but her brain found it difficult to process the emotional overload. "P-please don't be angry." The tears began to run down her face like a furious waterfall. "F-Flash, don't be--"

Before she could even finish, Flash made his way towards her and gave her the most strong, yet tender hug she had ever received. The memories of everything they did together flashed through her mind.

There was the trigger. Her heart couldn't take it anymore -- she had to let it all out. She cried like never before. All this time away from him was paying off at that moment. She hugged him with such intensity, as if she never wanted to ever let her brother go.

Her brother shared the same sentiment, his own eyes tearing up. "I can't believe it's you!” he joyously exclaimed. The amount of happiness he was feeling couldn't be described by any word. “Goddess I missed you so much, sis! So much!"

Through her tears, through the exuberant elation consuming her, Lightning remained privy to the fugaciousness of the moment. She had to tell him sooner or later. Preferably sooner.

Like their father used to say: good things only last for so long.

Author's Note:

It took me some time but i managed to borrow a pc to write some more. You guys know who the editor is at this point so go check him out :twilightsmile: (for those who still don't know, my pc pretty much blow up and i have to buy a new one)