• Published 12th Feb 2017
  • 2,201 Views, 44 Comments

Because You Are My Sister - Maverick Cloud



After hearing that her twin-brother would be in the Birthday Ceremony of Princess Twilight Sparkle, Lightning Dust decides to meet up with him to finaly fix things up. But what was suppose to be a happy reencounter ended up beeing a total mess.

  • ...
3
 44
 2,201

Chapter 6 - Learning What Was Not Teached

"Hey! Hey, Lightning Dust!" Rainbow Dash shouted. She had forgotten just how fast her ex-wingpony could be; despite her efforts the distance between them remained wide. "Slow down a sec, would you? I just wanna talk!"

Lightning Dust grew agitated at the persistent pegasus. She just wanted to be left alone, yet Rainbow kept adding to the misery with her shallow attempt at reconciliation.

"Just leave me alone!" Truth be told, Lightning didn't even have a particular destination in mind; she flew blind in multiple senses of the term. There was no particular destination in mind as she flew with tear-induced blurry vision.

Of course Rainbow wouldn't give up. She needed to apologize after humiliating Lightning back at the castle. "Lightning, please! Your brother didn't mean to call you that!"

The mere mention of her brother just made Lightning more angry. Just a little more and things could get ugly. "Get away from me! Go back to your stupid castle!"

"You're just running away from your problems again!"

This struck a chord in her. Rainbow was right. She really was running away again, just like after the Wonderbolts.

Maybe she really was a failure.

Lightning slowed her speed and landed in a nearby tree. Her face was a mess, her eyes all red and the turquoise fur of her cheeks stained thanks to the tears. She sensed Rainbow land next to her, but at this point Lightning didn't care. No way could she shake off someone as stubborn as Rainbow Dash.

"Lightning, running away from your problems will never make them disappear. They'll just get worse over time."

The turquoise pegasus felt more sad and alone. Never before had the truth hurt so much. Everypony knew what she was doing was wrong. She could feel the world around her disappearing until only herself remained.

Lightning needed somepony, anypony, so that she may bury her sorrow. And right now, Rainbow Dash of all ponies was the only one who could bring her back to reality.

"I know it's hard, Lightning. Trust me, I really do." Rainbow continued and placed a hoof on her counterpart’s shoulder "But if you never try, your problems will haunt you forever."

Maybe it was the start of autumn that made the contact of Rainbow's hoof warm to her. Warm, and it filled her with a little bit of happiness, as if Rainbow really cared for her.

Lightning turned to face the other pegasus, whose lips trembled in barely-contained hopeful emotion. First Xenon, then Flash, now Rainbow; it seemed they all put on that face to give Lightning that extra, crucial nudge in a certain direction.

She knew that she was a selfish and cowardly pony. A pony that almost killed the Elements of Harmony and could have made Equestria a more dangerous place to live. A pony whose reckless abandonment rendered her own mother sick.

And yet despite Lightning’s misgivings, the three still fought for her, knowing what she really was. To them, she was worth saving from herself.

"Listen, Lightning," Rainbow continued in a softer tone, "Your brother loves you, and he wants you to come back. So please, come back with me to the castle. Flash needs you. If you really love and care about him, go back and listen to him. He doesn't want you to disappear aga--"

Rainbow wasn't expecting Lightning to hug her so spontaneously, nor to feel her tears dampen the fur on her shoulder as racking sobs filled her ears. Rainbow wasn't a big fan of the emotional support kind of thing; her typical method of dealing with this would either push Lightning away or pretend to feel bored about it. But instead, Rainbow hugged her back.

"It's okay, Lightning. Everything will be okay. And I'm sorry for accusing you. I shouldn't jump to conclusions like that. Heh, I guess I really am that much egocentric." Rainbow said, trying to light up Lightning's humor. However, she couldn't see if it really worked.

Lightning finally let her go. This time she wasn't angry at Rainbow, but she still had that guilty face. Probably because she felt like she was being too ingrateful. Her friends from Baltimare were always telling her to see her brother, but all she did was ignore them when they were just trying to help.

Lightning took a deep breath to compose herself. "Sorry if I hurt you earlier."

"Hey, it's fine. Besides, I deserved it, didn't I?" Rainbow said with a more playful tone this time. Surprisingly enough, Lightning smiled.

"Yeah, you definitely deserved it." Lightning shot back. Her tone remained low, but Rainbow could tell she was in the game after receiving a little punch to the shoulder. Rainbow exchanged one of her own, to their mutual glee.

Lightning wiped away the remnants of her tears. "Thanks, Rainbow Dash. I really needed that." Somehow Rainbow managed to give Lightning the motivation she needed to go until the end of it.

"No problem, Lightning. You know I'm awesome in every single way. Even when it comes to make ponies feel better." Rainbow stated with pride. Lightning raised one of her eyebrows, to which Rainbow defended, "Hey, I already admitted I've got a big ego! That never gonna change."

Lightning rolled her eyes. What a day it had been for her. An encounter with her old wing-pony than nearly escalated into a brawl, a tearful and heated reunion with her brother, now here she was making amends with the same pony who shot down her dreams back in the Wonderbolt Academy. If there was anything Lightning learned from the past day, it’s that the only pony who can change you is yourself, and running away from your problems will only make worsen them.

Maybe that was the only regret her father had before dying. If he had left the Royal Guard sooner, he wouldn't have fallen in the line of duty. With their numbers, the Royal Guard could have procured somepony more qualified for a mission so delicate, and he would still be around. Growing up could have been different.

But that was in the past. His efforts were not in vain; he had died a hero and many lives were spared that night, and Lightning couldn’t have been prouder of him. No force in Equestria would ever change that, not even time itself.

"By the way Lightning,” Rainbow started, “I know becoming a Wonderbolt is off the table, but you can be something as cool as them."

"Oh yeah?" Lightning said, not quite believing her. "Like what exactly?"

"Well… what about a merc? It’s not stunt-flying, but you get to travel, make your own rules, and get your fix of adrenaline. I hear the pay’s pretty good, too."

An unpleasant shiver ran up Lightning at the idea. "Yeeeah... I don't think that’s a career choice my father would’ve wanted for me." Her, a mercenary? As far as she could remember, her father had dealt with a number of mercenaries in his time. If anything, life as a mercenary was a slap in the face to his memory.

"Okay, so... how about a rock star? Now those are some awesome ponies. You're still good with a guitar, right?"

Lightning laughed at the idea. "A rock star? Really? You're not even trying, Rainbow." Was that her best shot? Well, morally better than a mercenary, sure, but a rock star was a far cry from stunt-flying.

Rainbow rubbed at the back of her head. "Hehe... yeah, it’s stupid." An idea then came to her, perhaps the best idea she had yet! Not only would it be awesome, but it would fit Lightning just perfectly. The excitement proved to be too much, rocketing Rainbow into the air. Lightning watched as she began to gush with such filly-esque glee at the idea, as if she had just made the biggest discovery of the millennium.

"Oh, I know! How about a Royal Guard, just like your brother? Just imagine, both of you in that sweet armor, hanging out all the time, always ready to kick some butt! You can even have some nicknames like… like the Thunder Twins. Cause, you know... that's what comes after the 'flash' and the 'lightning'.” Rainbow smugly nudged her friend. “See what I did there?"

A shrug was all Lightning had to offer. "That sounds cool Dash, but I don't know. How the heck will they accept me into the program?"

"Are you kidding me?” Rainbow spread her hooves in exasperation. All of that, Lightning still said no? “You're a great flier, Lightning Dust! You're fast and have a lot of endurance. They would be dumb if they didn't accept you. And you already have an advantage since your brother is in the Guard. He can put in a good word for you, teach you some cool tricks too."

Again, Lightning shrugged. "Thanks, but I don't think they'll ever open a spot for me anytime soon." Lightning didn't entirely dismiss the idea, though. Interesting as it was, she needed to think about it later.

"You never know, Dust," Rainbow said in an almost tempting manner. Already the gears turned in her head, formulating a plan that would guarantee Lightning Dust joining the Royal Guard. And just like her, Rainbow Dash wasn't a pony to ignore a challenge. "You never know..." Rainbow whispered to herself.


"Now you've done it, Flash."

"You're not helping, Sunburst." The pony in question shot back, not meeting his eyes. Or anyone’s, for that matter.

He paced about in the throne room of Twilight’s castle, plagued by the memories of the last hour or so replaying in his mind again and again. Sunburst watched him intently with concern, as did everyone else who had been present for Flash and Lightning’s less than joyful reunion.

"Sorry, but it’s the truth."

"Look, Flash. You don't have to worry." Twilight assured. "Soon Rainbow Dash will be back with your sister, and then you two can sort things out."

"It’s more than just sorting things out! Something inside is telling me that it's all my fault, that I’m the reason she acted so… so brazenly at the academy! That she decided to run off after getting the boot instead of coming home and telling me to my face!” He breathed heavily after the outburst, only realizing after a few moments that Twilight, Sunburst, and the others stared at him with wide-eyed expressions. Guilt hit him like a sledgehammer as he looked away again. “My bad. Loosened the lid there for a moment.”

"What do you mean by that?" Twilight asked.

“Loosened the lid--” Pinkie started as she unscrewed the lid off a peanut butter jar, “--meant losing control of his emotions. Duh!” She took a large tongueful and indulged it in a satisfied gulp.

Starlight almost deadpanned, “I’m sure she was referring to the belief that Lightning’s abandonment was Flash’s fault.”

“Which begs the question, why would you think that Flash?” Twilight inquired.

He sighed. "Ever since we were foals, we’d always been together. I was there with her doing her pranks, playing with our Joy Boys, even there for each other’s cutie marks. I never left her side. We were like… well, flash and lightning." Flash said with a bit of nostalgia in his words. "She was the troublemaker in the family, always reckless. Whenever Lightning was about to cross the line, I was there to dissuade her. I guess that made her not care about anything else." Flash could feel the guilt entering his mind the more he talked.

Twilight still didn’t quite understand. “I’m sorry, but what do you mean by 'care about anything else'?"

"It mean I always reined her in when she got out of hoof. She never got severely punished because I always told her when to stop. And when she attended the Wonderbolts Academy, I wasn't there to do that.” Flash could feel the guilt continue to well inside him. “That has to be why she crossed the line; because she grew too reliant on me as a deterrent."

Twilight could tell that he was still blaming only himself. He seemed to have a valid point. Lightning appeared to fail to ascertain the definition of 'limits'. She could do whatever she wanted and would only stop if her brother said she should stop. With Lightning on her own at the academy, her brother wasn't there to verbally restrain her.

Maybe if Flash had been less assertive, Lightning would have learned from her own mistakes and the incident at the academy would never have happened. But what was a brother, if not a protector?

"Flash, you were only doing that because you love her. You shouldn't blame yourself." Twilight explained. Flash lifted his head to pay attention to the Princess, who continued more sternly. "But the truth of the matter is the environment she grew up in. Lightning never learned from her mistakes because she never got the chance to make them."

Meanwhile, Cadance looked to Shining Armor. "An overly protective brother? I wonder where I’ve seen this before..." she whispered in a teasing manner enough for him to roll his eyes.

“I was like that with my brother. Protective, I mean,” Fluttershy chimed in with the group. “Though as Zephyr grew older, he grew more dependent and less responsible. He never wanted to finish anything he started and developed a financial reliance on our parents.”

“You got lucky, then,” Starlight said. “He got clingy while Lightning Dust developed a rebellious streak.”

The revelation weighed heavily on Flash. He dragged his hooves over his face. “Ah geez…”

“Everypony makes mistakes, Flash. We’re not flawless.” Twilight closed the distance between herself and Flash, then laid a hoof on the star emblazoned on his chestplate. She smiled warmly. "Your sister loves you with all her heart, just as much as you love her with yours. You're the main reason she came here. And if you really want your sister back, all you have to do is apologize and forgive. She will, too. I promise you that."

“You think so?”

"I know so." Twilight assured, her hoof never leaving his chest. "You're a kind pony Flash, one who cares for those he loves. That's why I'm sure you'll do right by your sister."

Something in her assurances built up his confidence. Maybe the comforting words alone were the reason. Or could it be the sincerity in her soft voice, or her smile that melted even the coldest hearts? Whatever it was, Flash couldn't help but feel capable enough to accomplish anything. Even rebuild the bridge that bound him and his sister together.

"Thank you, Twilight. You're the most kind pony I've ever met." Flash responded, laying his own hoof on hers, the one that remained on his chestplate.

All of the ponies watched with great intent as the distance between the alicorn and pegasus’ muzzles shrank. Pinkie Pie in particular continued to anxiously ate away at her peanut butter, while Cadance grew close to bursting with excitement. Another win for love was about to be made! "Come on... come on... almost there..." she mentally cheered.

Shining Armor on the other hoof didn’t share in that eagerness, though he didn't bother to interrupt, else his wife threatened vengeance on him again for being a hinderance to the beautiful progression of love.

Twilight and Flash’s lips were mere inches away from each other…

...then the main doors of the throne room burst open. Two mares, one blue, one turquoise, strutted in loud and proud.

“Things just got forty percent cooler--” Rainbow started.

“--‘cause Rainbow Dash and Lightning Dust are in the house!” Lightning finished.

The pair performed a perfected hoofshake, then exclaimed in unison, “Totally awesome!”

At the sweet sound of her voice, Flash wasted no time in closing the distance between himself and Lightning and wrapped her in a taught, loving embrace much like the one they shared early in the day. Twilight and company looked on with with happiness at the two siblings, unperturbed by the interruption of what may have evolved into a romantic moment.

Except for Cadance.

"Oh, come on! They were this close!" she exclaimed in utter frustration.

Shining pointed a hoof at her. "HÁ! Not today, sweetie!"

The Princess of Love slowly turned her head towards her husband, her exasperation gone in a split second and replaced by glaring daggers. "What did you just say?"

"I uh... I mean-- Hey! His sister’s back!" Shining sped off to the growing crowd.

Cadence just rolled her eyes. The Princess of Love had waited for many moons for her amorous machinations to come to fruition. She could afford to wait a little longer.

"Lightning, I'm so much sorry for earlier. Please, don't run away again. I can't go on without you." Flash hugged her tighter as testament to his words.

"It's okay, Flash. It's okay. I’ll never leave you again, brother." Lightning, normally embarrassed with public displays of affection, didn’t seem to mind the crowd of ponies forming around them. "I love you so much."

Another content silence spanned, which had allowed Twilight to disperse everyone once more to the main hall and leave the two alone again.

"You're not forgetting anypony, are you?" Flash finally said.

Lightning Dust didn't know what he mean by that. “Who do you…” she trailed off, the realization finally setting in. She shivered. "Oh, horseapples…"

"That's right, sis. We still need to pay Mom a visit."

"Celestia have mercy on me."

Author's Note:

me and the editor had some rough time related to work and college, that's why it took a little longer for the next chapter. But here it is