• Published 3rd Dec 2016
  • 2,252 Views, 87 Comments

The Regular - Milo_Chalks



Sunburst has a secret admirer, but it isn't at all who he expected, in the most unlikely of places. MxM shipping tag

  • ...
9
 87
 2,252

Have Here

Ristretto sat nervously outside the cafe, the smell of pastries reaching his muzzle and watering his mouth as he waited for his friend to arrive. The barista pony was on edge, he had arrived twenty minutes early and was nervously looking at the wall clock inside the cafe every few minutes.

Where is he? It has only been ten minutes?! It feels like an hour. If I have to wait another ten minutes… Just calm down, you are freaking out over nothi-

His train of thought cut off as he saw his orange friend meander around the corner and calmly trot up to the table.

“G’morning Sunburst” Ristretto called out as Sunburst sat opposite him. The Crystaller returned a puzzled expression before replying to the greeting.

“It is half past one right now but Good morning to you as well” Sunburst answered before chuckling as Ristretto’s cheeks went pink. The grey stallion quickly lifted up the menu to hide his face and pretended to read it. By this point had borderline memorised it out of anxiousness.

“I am thinking maybe just a tea and some chickpea lasagna” Ristretto muffled behind his menu while placing it on the table.

“Hm, I think I might do the same with the tea and then maybe a risotto. I must say I do find it funny that my favourite barista is a tea drinker.” He chuckled. “We should go order.” Sunburst and Ristretto grabbed their menus and walked to the counter. They placed their order and took their number back to the table.

“Yeah I mean I love coffee but making it every day, plus drinking the stuff at work, but if I drank it here too, I might as well be bouncing to Luna’s moon and back.” The two shared a laugh as they waited for their food. Little did either pony know that a mischievous Starlight Glimmer was hiding in a nearby shrub, the perfect distance to hear the entire conversation between the friends out to lunch.

“So Ristretto, despite knowing you for little over a year, I don’t know anything about you really, so let’s start off with the basics, where do you live? And do you live with anyone?”

Ristretto answered casually. “Well it is just my little brother and me, we live in a house down Cherry St, we inherited it.” He replied.

“Oh, I didn’t realise you had a brother, so where does he work? Or is it more of a University thing.” Sunburst asked curiously.

“Oh well, umm, no he is only a little colt, he goes to school still; he is thirteen right now. Our parents passed a couple of years ago, so I have been raising him. The barista replied sadly at the mention of his parents. He loved them a lot, and it was very hard to see them go.

“Oh Ristretto, I am sorry, I didn’t mean-”

“It’s alright, it was a while ago, and I love my brother,” Ristretto cut Sunburst off.

“Ok, so I guess you get payments to look after him?”

“Yeah, it isn’t a lot really, food mainly, but there is just enough leftover to do something special every once and awhile. I am lucky I inherited the house, so rent isn’t a problem.”

“I will have to meet him one day, wow, that is amazing Ristretto, raising your brother like that.” Sunburst beamed.

“He is a good colt, he does his homework, cleans his room, hangs out with other little ones his age, and I love him to pieces, it is rewarding seeing him grow.” Ristretto smiled as he thought about his little brother. It wasn’t easy, but sometimes really made it worth it.

“Alright, the Risotto?” The waitress mare called as she made her way to the table with the tea and food in her magic. Sunburst put his hoof up, and she placed the meal on his side of the table. She then put the two teas down on each side and finished with Ristretto’s lasagne. Neither pony eaten breakfast and as a result went through their food quite quickly.

“Oh dammit Sunburst, slow down, you are gonna put him off” whispered Starlight whispered as she looked on in mild disgust at her friends eating habits. Sunburst caught the whispering and took a break from his meal. He looked around curiously before spotting a pink and purple tinge to the shrub standing near the cafe. He glared at the spot indicating that her presence was known. He mouthed the words ‘go away’ before returning to his conversation with Ristretto. Little to his knowledge the meddling pink mare teleported nearby and continued to listen to the cover of a rather large tree opposite the cafe.

“What about you Sunburst? I mean like where do you live and stuff.” He asked Sunburst nervously as he finished his last mouthful.

“Oh well yeah I mean I live alone, just a little house down Canter Cresent. It is nothing special really, just a little dusty and book filled. You will have to come down one day, I have a little coffee machine for when my favourite barista isn’t working, we can have coffee and cake one day!” Sunburst replied.

“I’d like that!” Ristretto beamed at the offer.


The conversation went on for a lot longer than anticipated, both engrossed in each other's conversation. Sunburst had attended magical school but was never practically adept, so he became a shut-in until an old friend -along with a few new ones- helped him find his way as the royal Crystaller. Ristretto told Sunburst of his parents and how he dropped out of school a bit earlier because nothing was keeping him interested and he knew what he wanted to do. He spoke of his parents passing and adopting Hazell Quill.

The conversation went for a long time until Ristretto looked at the time. “Oh my gosh Hazell will be home soon, sorry Sunburst I really must head off.” He cried halfway through a story about Hazell’s birthday last year.

“It’s alright, I kinda want to meet him, he sounds like a great colt; I would love to meet him.”

“No! You can’t, oh my gosh I am sorry Sunburst. I just need to talk to him first. Just about all this.” Ristretto hastily replied.

“Uhh, you’re telling me he doesn’t know about you yet? About you being… Gay?”

The barista pony sagged his head and shook his head in response, pensive spreading across his face.

“I just don’t know how to explain it to him, and how he will react. He has some friends that I think are spreading nasty rumours about sexuality.” Ristretto nervously said as he put the right bits on the table and pushed in his chair. Ristretto sighed as he went to walk beside Sunburst. “Uno, I reckon it is about time, it isn’t going to get any easier. I just need to explain it all to him.”

Sunburst gave the smaller pony a smile as they turned around the corner. “Good luck Ristretto, based on the way you talked about him I am sure everything will be okay. He will understand.” Sunburst beamed at his friend as the made their way to the road that divided their route, they both stopped at the curve as they finished their conversation.

“Yeah you’re right Sunburst. Thanks for everything. Giving me a chance, talking to me, this afternoon. I have had a wonderful time.” Ristretto smiled.

“Agreed, we should do this again, I had a great time. I will see ya later Ristretto!” Sunburst called out as Ristretto started walking down his street, Sunburst was two streets back and had further to walk.

“Seeya Sunburst!” The barista replied before making his way home, all but at ease with the following conversation to take place.


“Hey, Retto! I am home from school.” Hazell called out as he closed the door behind him and went to take his school bag to his room before catching a glimpse of the lounge room and seeing a white barista pony looking slightly nervous. “Retto? What’s going on?” The colt said, worry filling his voice.

“Hey Hazell, nothing really, I just, I wanted to have a chat, come here.” Ristretto fluffed the couch cushion aside him indicating for Hazell Quill to take his seat.

“Uhh sure I guess.” the colt replied before sitting next to his brother giving him a hug as he sat down. “What’s up?” He asked.

“So. Hazell, you know how there are some ponies. Stallions and mares, who like the same sex, stallions liking stallions and mares liking mares.” Ristretto asked through caution.

“Yuk, colt-cuddlers and filly-foolers, yeah, Moonbeam at school told me about them, they are so gross, it’s alright, though, I will look out for them,” Hazell answered.

Ristretto’s courage shrank, and his heart fell as his worst fears were unfolding right in front of him. He gave a shaky reply determined to make his brother see the error in his thoughts. ”Well no, that isn’t right Hazell. Moonbeam is wrong, and that is horrible to call someone gross. There is nothing wrong with being gay, they don’t harm colts or fillies, that is a silly myth.” He said through iron resolve.

“You are siding with them? Are you one yourself?” Hazell replied bitterly.

A nervous string of stammers came from Ristrettos mouth as realisation dawned on Hazell.

“Oh, sweet Luna you are one!” The colt cried as he went to get up quickly.

“Wait Hazell! Let me explain! Come back!” The barista grabbed his brother trying to stop him from running off, but the colt slipped passed him and made a break for the door.

“Get away from me! You’re not my brother!” Hazell shrieked as he opened the door and ran into the cold winter night.

Author's Note:

Conflict! it had to happen soon. Hope you all enjoyed!! It is now 1 am in the morning in Australia and I have had a hell of a day so excuse me imma just pass out in front of this fan and dream of a time when it wasn't stinking hot :rainbowwild: