• Published 16th Nov 2016
  • 659 Views, 18 Comments

Darkest Star - The1Ryu



Princess Luna has returned from a thousand years absence and after a bit of a rocky start she seemed to be coming into her own. However, a series of mishaps to the ponies around have caused ponies to begin to fear her once more.

  • ...
4
 18
 659

Chapter Four: A Titan Rises

Chapter Four
A Titan Rises

“What now?” Dark Star groaned rolling his eyes and turning back to face the speaker. The black stallion raised an eyebrow in legitimate surprise to see Big Macintosh standing several feet behind him, his coat and mane ruffled but otherwise uninjured.

“What’s going on?” Twilight Sparkle asked pushing herself up and looked across the field, still brightly lit by her false moon, and there was the unmistakable form of Big Macintosh standing off against Dark Star. “What’s he doing?”

“The stallion can’t mean to fight Dark Star alone,” Princess Luna said her gaze following Twilight Sparkle’s. “We have to stop him; he does not stand a chance alone.”

“Ya Mackie! You show that big meanie he can’t go around beating up on ponies!” Pinkie Pie cheered with a bounce pumping her hoof into the air.

“Pinkie Pie are you crazy,” Twilight Sparkle said turning to her pink friend. “Dark Star just wiped out our whole militia in hardly any time; Big Macintosh doesn’t stand a chance alone.”

“Just wait and see,” Pinkie Pie sang happily giving her friend a knowing wink and a wide smile.

Dark Star gave a little chuckle, “Well I must say I’m impressed... Mackie was it?”

Big Macintosh glared at the false unicorn pegasus snorting angrily, “Big Macintosh,” He growled. There were only two ponies that could get away with calling Big Macintosh, Mackie.

“Right, Big Macintosh, not many ponies could get up after taking the brunt of my Shadowic Boom.” Dark Star said with a respectful smile that quickly shifted into a hard glare. “But you are way out of your league, and I’m not really one for trying to knock sense into thick hayseed skulls. So I’ll be taking the princess, going about my business, and leave you to pick up what’s left of your friends.”

Dark Star did not wait for an acknowledgment and simply started to turn back to the princess when he was interrupted again. “Y'all ain’t understandin’. I’m givin' y'all the chance t’ leave peaceful like. Y'all shouldn’t go refusin’ it.”

Dark Star turned to face the red stallion again, “And if I don’t you’re going to stop me?”

Big Macintosh lowered his head letting the yoke he always wore slide forward then tossed it off with a flick of his head. It hit the ground with a thud and Big Macintosh looked back up at Dark Star, his eyes hard and cold, “Eyup.”

Big Macintosh shot forward moving much faster than Dark Star expected a pony of the stallion’s size to be able to. The black stallion swiftly dodged to the left, the huge fore hooves of the red earth pony crashing into the ground where he had been standing just a moment before.

Dark Star frowned in annoyance; he did not like it when other ponies caught him off guard even for a moment. The black unicorn started to call up his magic to counterattack the off balance earth pony, but Big Macintosh was not off balance and was already moving into a second attack.

Big Macintosh caught himself after his first attack missed the swift pegasus; he had expected the fast pony to be able to dodge such an attack. His forelegs coiled to absorb the impact as the sandy-maned stallion turned his body towards Dark Star, then with all the stored power he bucked out at the evil pony.

Dark Star barely managed to jump back from the dangerous hooves, quickly threw open his wings and with one strong beat pushed himself past the range of Big Macintosh’s attack.

The loss of resistance this time was a little more unexpected throwing Big Macintosh a little off balance, but he quickly righted himself. Returning his hind hooves to the ground he pivoted on them quickly coming around to intercept Dark Star’s counterattack, but none came.

Dark Star stood several feet away staring intently at something just past Big Macintosh. The red stallion glanced over his shoulder to see the small crater he had created when his first strike missed the white-maned stallion.

“It would seem you are more than just bluster and show after all Big Macintosh,” Dark Star said standing up straight and folding his wings once again, a faint smile on his lips.

Big Macintosh stood silently glaring at Dark Star and chewing the sprig of wheat in his mouth, he didn’t seem to feel the inclination to comment on his or Dark Star’s abilities, nor was he eager to rush the false unicorn pegasus and continue their fight.

“That’s right,” Pinkie Pie’s voice shouted out across the field and Dark Star turned to look over at her still standing on the short hill with the others. “Mackie’s 10 no, no a 100 no... 237 times stronger than anypony else. An evil meanie weenie like you doesn’t have a single teenie weenie chance of beating him.”

Dark Star started to laugh, “Well Big Macintosh you have quite the fan there, I wonder if she’s right...” Dark Star trailed off his horn glowing with dark magic, “Let’s find out!”

Dark Star used his magic to summon forth some magical construct; its square body was almost five feet tall and long and a foot thick. From the top of one side stretched four wide, knuckled, five foot long tentacles, and from the adjacent side stood a thicker slightly shorter tentacle. The bizarre creation flew by some mystic power, and while Big Macintosh was still confused by its oddity, it shot forward and seized him in a powerful grip.

Big Macintosh neighed in pain as it squeezed him, but the stallion’s neigh quickly became savage as he pushed his legs out against the odd construct and shattered its tentacles with little more than a flex of his muscles. Big Macintosh landed on the ground his eyes refocused on Dark Star, but before he could charge the black stallion the now flat slab slammed down on him. Big Macintosh caught it with his fore-hooves, the force of the blow was enough to cause the red stallion’s hooves to sink a few centimeters into the hard earth below. With an angry snort, Big Macintosh pushed back against the glowing pale construct and tossed it so high into the air that is disappeared into the night sky.

Turning his eyes back on Dark Star, Big Macintosh saw a second magical construct flying at him, same as the first except his one had its tentacles coiled in tightly forming a solid blunt object. Big Macintosh threw his hooves forward and caught the magical object with his hooves, but this one was twice as strong as the first and pushed the earth pony back several feet before he had dug in enough to stop it. Snorting angrily, Big Macintosh held the object in place with one hoof and slammed the other into it shattering the magical construct.

Big Macintosh dropped back down, but this time he quickly slipped into a defensive stance scanning all around him for more of the magical constructs. Several were coming at him now from all different directions. Readjusting his position slightly, he kicked forward and back at the same time shattering two of them, before throwing himself into a quick roll allowing him to slip past the third which tried to drop from the sky on top of the red stallion. Quickly jumping back to his hooves Big Macintosh shot forward smashing the construct, which had slammed into the ground when it missed him.

Dark Star scoffed regarding Big Macintosh with a critical glare, “That’s hardly impressive for a titan earth pony.”

“What,” Twilight gasped in disbelief shaking her head only to regret the action. Had Dark Star just called Big Macintosh Titan? That was impossible, though, Titan was an earth pony of legend from the time of monsters, Dark Star could not be suggesting that Applejack's brother was the same pony. She looked over at Princess Luna who stared wide eyes in shock and Pinkie Pie whose hoof covered her mouth as if to stop her from saying something she was not supposed to.

“But then,” Dark Star turned his attention to the left, and Big Macintosh and the others followed his gaze to the fallen yoke. “You’ve been using that yoke to suppress your abilities and masquerade as a normal earth pony; it has a powerful enchantment on it. So your skills have been left undeveloped, how disappointing.” Dark Star turned his critical glare back on the red stallion, he had hoped Big Macintosh would provide an interesting addition to his mission, but given how underdeveloped his abilities would be he was not so sure anymore. However, he had to admit that although Big Macintosh had not trained himself to use his strength to its fullest; he did seem to have some skill and a lot of potential.

Big Macintosh held back his surprise at Dark Star’s words meeting his cold glare with one of his own. Still, the red stallion could not help but wonder how the false unicorn had realized all that. Only Pinkamina, his family and the Witchy Mare who had enchanted the item knew of its magic. Even after all the time he had spent around his Twilight Sparkle she had not guessed at the yoke’s magical nature.

Of course, none of that mattered now, all that mattered was ending all this and keeping everypony safe, Big Macintosh would use his power to protect the Princess and everypony else if he had to. Clenching the sprig of wheat between his teeth Big Macintosh demanded tensely, “Give up.”

“Mmm, no,” Dark Star decided with a shrug. His horn flashed to life with dark magic and he charged at Big Macintosh, moving so unnaturally fast that he closed the gap in an instant and brought his horn down across the other stallion’s side.

Big Macintosh, however, was not caught off by this sudden burst of speed and drew his hooves up to attack. He had nothing to worry about from Dark Star’s sharp blade-like horn for his skin was like stone and could not be cut by even the sharpest blade. The sandy-maned stallion was about to bring his hooves down on Dark Star when there was a sudden pain in his side that caused him to falter and jump away from the white-maned pony.

Big Macintosh looked down at his side where a shallow cut stared back at him stinging him with unfamiliar pain. Pushing the pain out of his mind, Big Macintosh looked up at Dark Star with an angry glare.

“That’s right Big Macintosh I know all your secrets,” Dark Star smiled as if enjoying the other stallion’s pain and confusion, as he hovered above him. “So long as I sheath my horn in magic you’re completely vulnerable to its edge.”

Dark Star charged from the sky once again, Big Macintosh dodged right to avoid the attack and kicked out with his fore-legs. The evil pony had seen the earth pony’s speed and form enough however to predict the rather straightforward style. The bat-winged pegasus had no trouble ducking under the heavy kick, then slipped up next to Big Macintosh and slash at him with his blade-like horn in a swift fly-by attack.

Big Macintosh figured Dark Star would slip past his first attack and quickly caught himself moving into position to buck the retreating pegasus, but the sting at his side from the fresh cut caused him to wince in pain, a hesitation that caused him to miss the swift black pegasus.

“That’s fun let’s do it again,” Dark Star chuckled coming around for another pass. Big Macintosh tried to ignore the pain, dodge and counter the gray-eyed pony’s attacks, but it was no good. With each pass, Dark Star added another cut to Big Macintosh’s increasingly marred hide and then would slip out of the red stallion’s reach before he could counterattack.

Big Macintosh soon realized that if he did not do something quickly the evil pony would simply peel him apart. However, there was only one thing the sandy-maned stallion could think of to break the pattern, and it certainly was not the most brilliant plan.

Big Macintosh watched Dark Star come in for another pass, this time rather than try and dodge the attack he stepped into it. Dark Star’s horn buried itself into the red stallion’s side but stopped him from continuing his fly-by. The black stallion’s wings beat backward furiously trying to put some distance between them, but it was too late. A powerful set of hooves slammed into Dark Star’s side, throwing him like a tangled mass of wings and hooves across the field. He slammed into the ground, bounced and crashed into it again, rolling end over end until he finally slid to a stop.

“Yay Mackie!” Pinkie Pie cheered bouncing up and down, “You did it! I knew you could!”

“Oh thank Celestia,” Twilight Sparkle said with a long sigh, and Spike looked up from Rarity to see the evil pony lying still on the ground.

Princess Luna’s relief was tainted by a sorrowful sting as she looked down on the fallen pony. This had all been her fault; she had taken the noblest pony she had ever known and turned him into this evil thing. She had not even had the strength to stop him herself, instead of letting Big Macintosh do the dirty work for her.

It had been dirty too, and Big Macintosh felt sick staring across at the crumpled body of his opponent. It had been just as he always imagined, all it took was one kick to end somepony, one kick to crush the life from their body. The red stallion looked away from Dark Star, unwilling to face his handy work, his green eyes frantically searching for his lost yoke.

Three heavy coughs instantly put an end to the celebration and mourning, filling previously joyful eyes with dread and sad eyes with hope. Everypony looked at once to see Dark Star move, Princess Luna and Big Macintosh thought for a moment that they might be able to save Dark Star’s life. However, when the false unicorn pegasus shot up from the ground shaking himself out without a single sign of pain, they realized their hope had been misguided.

“Is that really it?” Dark Star snorted glaring across at Big Macintosh. “That can’t be all the power you have; you’re still holding back! Why? You know I will not hesitate to destroy anypony who gets in my way and you know I can hurt you, so why are you still holding back?!”

Big Macintosh glared across the field at the false unicorn pegasus who held his gaze for several long moments before noticing a momentary shift in the red stallion’s eyes. Dark Star looked around to see the marred ground where he had crashed between three unconscious ponies. Dark Star glanced back at Big Macintosh then looked around the field seeing the ground marred in several places by their battle, but all were safely away from the fallen ponies.

Surprise then realization and anger filled Dark Star, Big Macintosh had enough control of their battle that he had directed it safely away from the unconscious ponies all around them. “I see,” Dark Star said at last calmly looking back to Big Macintosh. “I am impressed Big Macintosh you’re far more skilled than I gave you credit for, and I suppose it was careless of me to expect a better performance out of you under such circumstances.”

Big Macintosh did not hide his surprise regarding Dark Star with a look of shock.

“I’ll give you some time to move your friends out of the way so we can continue our battle properly.” Dark Star said with a nod.

“Ah don’t wanna fight,” Big Macintosh said hoping that perhaps Dark Star could be persuaded to leave if he understood that nopony there wanted to harm him. Dark Star seemed to have become so calm all of a sudden, and though Big Macintosh did not understand why he hoped he could still be reasoned with.

“Don’t act like we’re like them,” Dark Star said coldly flicking his head at Twilight Sparkle and the others. “I know what’s like for ponies to project their expectations onto you. They make you hide your abilities and pretend to be like them, but what you truly want is to be set free, to escape the mediocrity these ponies have forced on you, to stop resenting yourself and see how powerful you really are, how beyond them you really are. They know you are superior to them and so that’s why they fear and hate you.”

Big Macintosh looked at Dark Star with hesitation and fear stepping back and shaking his head in denial. Yet he had heard the call of his power telling him to test his limits, to see how fast he could run, how high he could jump, how much he could lift, and what it would be like to kick with all of his strength. It was also true that he had felt resentment as well.

“That’s not true,” Pinkie Pie shouted as she glared down angrily at Dark Star. “Everypony loves Mackie; he’s the most hardest working, most noble, most nicest, most super strong pony ever. He doesn’t need to be mean or bully ponies like you, and he loves everypony in Ponyville just as much as they love him! Don’t you ever try and say Mackie is anything like a meanie old villain like you!”

Dark Star glared up at the annoying pink mare, while Big Macintosh turned and stared at her wide-eyed for a moment then gave her a smiled which Pinkie Pie returned.

“Ah ain’t gonna fight,” Big Macintosh stated firmly turning back to face Dark Star. “This ain’t no game, an’ ah don’t want t’ fight with nopony.”

Dark Star snorted seething with rage, but quickly calmed himself, and flashed Big Macintosh a sinister smile as the earth pony turned to leave. “Fine have it your way; I’ll just take the princess and be on my way then.”

Big Macintosh jolted to a stop at that and turned back to face Dark Star, “Did that slip your little hayseed brain? I’m here for the princess, not you, but then I never thought I’d find you here. You may be willing to let your considerable abilities go to waste, but I’m not.”

Dark Star looked up at Princess Luna who shuttered under his evil eyes. “When Nightmare Moon created me I stood above all others, save her, in power. I decimated legions of Celestia’s royal guards with hardly any effort, and there were precious few who could challenge me at all, and a thousand years of training has left me even stronger. My thoughts have always been to only serve my queen, to do whatever she needed of me.” Dark Star shifted his gaze from the princess to Big Macintosh, “That was until I met you Big Macintosh, and I realized there something else I wanted. Deep down I have always wanted it, to test the limits of my power, to see how strong I really am.”

A distant look filled Dark Star’s eyes as he spoke of the past and his new dream of testing the limits of his abilities. Then suddenly that look was gone replaced with a cold intensity, “I am going to take the princess and return her to what she once was. If you want to stop me, Big Macintosh, you’ll have to defeat me, but if you rather cower behind you pink friend’s tail then be my guest.”

Big Macintosh said nothing, but seething rage could be seen in his narrow green eyes. That was all the answer Dark Star needed, “Good I’ll be waiting. You have one hour to relocate your friends to a safe distance,” He said with a smile.

Dark Star turned to look up at Princess Luna who watched the scene nervously. “And if you leave the area princess, I’ll stab Big Macintosh in the back before I come and find you.” Dark Star spread his wings and took to the air flying up into the gloom, “See you all in an hour.”

Big Macintosh watched Dark Star disappear into the gloom then looked all around at the fallen ponies; he could not find any relief. Despite the fact that he could finally move his friends out of harm’s way, he was now being forced to fight for the psychotic need of the deranged unicorn pegasus. He also did not want to admit it but, no matter how powerful he was Dark Star seemed to be infinitely more powerful.

“Mackie that was great,” Pinkie Pie shouted jumping seemingly out of nowhere throwing her forelegs around Big Macintosh in a fierce hug. Then she dropped down clutching one hoof in the other her eyes narrow in fierce confidence. “You got him on the run; he’s so scared he almost called it quits.”

Big Macintosh stared at her for a moment then could not resist the small smile that spread across his face. Pinkamina always had her own unique, usually overly optimistic, way of looking at things and now seemed no different. She was not afraid or worried at all and did not even consider the idea that Big Macintosh might lose. To say that Pinkamina’s confidence gave him confidence would not be accurate, but he was not going to betray that confidence by being afraid or pessimistic.

“Hello! Can anypony hear me?” A voice called out from the gloom, and a moment later half a dozen doctors and twice as many nurses came running into the light of Twilight Sparkle’s false moon. When they saw the mass of unconscious ponies spread out across the field, they let out a collective gasp their eye’s falling on Big Macintosh.

The head doctor, a yellow and brown maned male earth pony, stepped forward his face painted with shock, confusion, and accusation. “Big Macintosh, what have you done here?”

Big Macintosh’s eyes went wide, and he began to shake his head in denial, but before he could give his own simple answer, Pinkie Pie jumped in. “Mackie didn’t do any of this; he was trying to protect everypony from that meanie Dark Star.” Pinkie Pie stood between Big Macintosh and the approaching group of medical ponies. She had a fiercely angry look about her as she crouched and almost growled threatening anypony who tried to unjustly accuse Big Macintosh any further.

“Oh, I... of course not,” The head doctor stammered a little embarrassed by his accusation. “I didn’t mean to wrongly accuse anypony, but we had no idea what was happening. First, there was this giant ball of light, then it sounded like a war was going on out here, there was a huge explosion and then all those tremors, and now all this. What did happen?”

“Well-” Pinkie Pie started to recount what had happened but was cut off as a voice called out from behind her.

“Help! Help us up here! Rarity’s hurt bad; please come help!” Spike shouted down to them desperately, Twilight having told him about the arrival of the medical staff.

“Start examining the ponies down here,” The head doctor said quickly then turned to white pony with a heart shaped cutie mark, “Nurse Red Heart come with me.”

The white mare nodded, and they ran up the hill finding Spike still cradling Rarity’s head in his lap. “She’s hurt I-I don’t know what’s wrong she won’t wake up.” He said nearly sobbing.

“Here let me see her,” the doctor said ushering the baby dragon back a step, he looked Rarity over but did not find a mark. He slowly lifted her head and pulled a small magical pen light out of his coat pocket. “Nurse give me a hoof here please,” Nurse Red Heart held Rarity as the doctor forced open one of her eyes and flashed the light into it a couple of times.

Breathing a sigh of relief the doctor gave Spike a reassuring smile, “Don’t worry, she’s just deeply unconscious, but not seriously hurt.” Spike let out a sigh of relief, but the doctor’s reassuring look slid off his face as he looked down at the ten other ponies arranged in a circle.
“All right somepony had better explain what is going on here, now!”

“The fault is mine doctor,” Princess Luna said, the princess’ head hung low in shame.

“No it’s mine,” Twilight Sparkle insisted stepping forward, she was not able to move very fast injured like she was, but the purple unicorn could stand just fine. “It was my plan doctor. We discovered who had been attacking our friends and we tried to ambush him. I didn’t tell you or anypony else at the hospital because I believe he was watching it.” Twilight Sparkle explained anticipating the doctor’s question.

“I take it he figured it out anyway,” The doctor said pointedly, giving her a withering look.

Twilight Sparkle shook her head and immediately regretted it having to steady herself. “No he was caught totally off guard, the plan was perfect, except the part about it working.”

“You can’t be serious,” The doctor snapped, “There must be sixty ponies down there. There’s no way one pony do that all by themselves, well except...”

“Trust me, Doctor, Dark Star did it, and he can do a great deal more,” Princess Luna interjected looking down at the field of ponies. “He’s a unicorn pegasus possessing great strength and speed, the skills of a warrior, powerful magic and he is completely without mercy.”

The doctor watched Princess Luna speak wide-eyed and found himself waiting for her to say something uplifting or spell out some unlikely chance for them to defeat this Dark Star, but when the lunar princess was finished, it was just the chilling description of a terrifyingly evil pony.

“Doctor we need your help!” Another nurse shouted running up the hill.

The doctor shook the chill from his bones, “What is it, is somepony seriously hurt?”

“No none of the ponies seem seriously hurt, they’re all just been knocked out.” The nurse explained quickly in a single breath. “The problem is Big Macintosh, he’s insisting, or rather Miss Pie is insisting for him, that all the ponies must be moved out of the area immediately. We tried to tell them it’s too dangerous to move them right now, but he won’t listen.”

“Big Macintosh is right, Doctor,” Twilight interjected before the doctor could say anything. “Dark Star’s not gone for good, he wants the princess and to fight Big Macintosh, it’s like a game to him. He left so we could move the other ponies, Dark Star thinks that Big Macintosh will be able to provide a better fight if he doesn’t have to worry about them. All though I don’t even understand how Big Macintosh can stand up to Dark Star at all.”

The doctor gave the purple mare a confused look but relented. “Alright, nurse, tell the others to help Big Macintosh move the other ponies out of here and be quick about it.” The doctor ordered, and the nurse nodded quickly making her way back down the hill to the field of ponies the doctor following suit soon after. One thing the doctor knew for sure was that he did not want to be around when this Dark Star came back, Big Macintosh, Twilight Sparkle, and their friends could handle it, that was what they did after all.

After a few minutes, a group of nurses came up the hill to join nurse Red Heart and collect the fallen unicorns, including Rarity. Spike started after the nurse carrying the white unicorn, but Twilight Sparkle stopped him. “Spike, Rarity will be all right, we need you here right now.”

“No you don’t,” Spike whined angrily, “I need to stay with Rarity.”

“Spike! Everypony’s in danger right now, and we need everypony thinking to come up with a plan to stop him. Besides you have to let, the doctors take care of Rarity.” Twilight Sparkle insisted sharply stamping a hoof down.

“But what are we to do Twilight Sparkle?” Princess Luna interjected before Spike could complain any further. “Even with our magic, we did not stand a chance against him.”

“I don’t know,” Twilight Sparkle said with a deep frown, “That’s why we need to talk to Big Macintosh and think up a plan. Come on Spike,” The purple unicorn leaned down slightly to give the purple dragon a chance to climb on her back. She was feeling stronger by the minute and was strong enough to carry her assistant now.

Spike sighed in defeat knowing there was no getting out of it; he gave one last longing look at Rarity who was being carried away on the nurse’s back. He could not help but feel it was wrong for a lady like Rarity to be carried in such a way. Growling to himself he climbed on Twilight Sparkle’s back, and they took off towards Big Macintosh.

They found the red stallion carrying three ponies on his back, he could have easily carried more, but he did not want to risk hurting the unconscious ponies by piling them on top of each other. Twilight Sparkle and Princess Luna trotted up to his left side, “Alright Big Macintosh there’s not much time, tell us what your plan is?”

“Nope,” Big Macintosh said simply, his eyes had returned to their usual lazy half open position and only somepony who knew him very well could see the worry deep in their depths.

Twilight Sparkle was taken aback by the sandy-maned stallion’s simple response; perhaps she should have expected such a response, Big Macintosh was not known to give very lengthy explanations. Still, she was hoping he be a little more forthcoming this time.

“Mackie can’t think about that meanie weenie Dark Star right now; he’s too worried about all the ponies.” Pinkie Pie chirped in for Big Macintosh. The pink mare trotted along the right of the red stallion carrying a pony on her back as well.

Twilight Sparkle blinked looking from Pinkie Pie to Big Macintosh then shook her head. “Well, we still need to come up with a plan. We could hide the princess while you distract him or set up a trap for him.”

“Nope,” Big Macintosh shook his head.

“Mackie’s right, Dark Star is probably watching us right now, and he’ll see anything we might try. But at least this way Mackie will draw him out into the open, and that’s good for us.” Pinkie Pie piped in again for Big Macintosh.

“So he does have a plan then?” Twilight Sparkle asked optimistically.

“Nope,” Big Macintosh answered, not one to let another speak for him.

“Nopies,” Pinkie pie confirmed with a smile.

Twilight Sparkle groaned hanging her head in annoyance, and Spike growled in frustration. “What’s it matter, Dark Star might be tough, but he’d got to be hurting from the fight, didn’t Big Mac kick him across the field?”

“Nope,” Big Macintosh shook his head again.

Pinkie Pie gave him a confused look, “He’s not gonna be hurt? How come?”

“Dark Star will use his magic to heal himself,” Princess Luna said solemnly. “He has had a thousand years to develop his skills with magic; I have no doubt that he will use that knowledge to heal and protect himself from Big Macintosh’s incredible strength.” Princess Luna eyes returned to staring at the ground she could not shake the feeling that this was all her fault. She was the one who gave him all that power, and now she could not do anything except hide behind her subjects.

“That’s another thing,” Twilight Sparkle looked over at the red stallion suspiciously. “How in the wide world of Equestria does Big Macintosh have this kind of strength it’s not possible, it defies all laws of physics.”

A sad look came over Big Macintosh’s face, and he looked away from the purple unicorn, Pinkie Pie’s eyes shot wide, and she covered her mouth like she was afraid she let loose some big secret.

“I told thou Twilight Sparkle, Big Macintosh is a titan earth pony,” Princess Luna explained, obviously expecting such a thing to be simple to understand.

“That’s impossible! The earth pony Titan died millennia ago, Big Macintosh can’t be him.” Twilight Sparkle said skeptically, giving the princess a critical look.

“Not the earth pony Titan, a titan earth pony. He is this century’s reincarnation of Titan’s power.” Princess Luna explained looking to each of them for some indication that they knew what she was talking about but they all just looked back at her in confusion.

“Thy does not know? The power possessed by the earth pony Titan has been passed down through the generations, every hundred years another earth pony is born with his power, the power that slew the king of the monster... has this to been forgotten?” Princess Luna explained muttering the last part to herself; the ponies had forgotten that she and Princess Celestia were sisters over the centuries and she had often wonder what else they had forgotten.

“That’s so cool!” Spike said jumping out of his depression for a moment looking to Big Macintosh like he was a hero. Big Macintosh blushed, but nopony could tell save Pinkie Pie who smiled knowingly at him. “That means Dark Star doesn’t have a chance; if Titan killed the king of the monsters, then one evil pony should be nothing.”

Big Macintosh frowned, “Nope,” He shook his head.

“Mackie’s right, Dark Star much much different than some big old monster, just brute strength won’t be enough.” Pinkie Pie explained frowning a little at the admission.

“Ok, Pinkie Pie how are you doing that?” Spike asked finally unable to stand it any longer.

“What?” Pinkie Pie asked in confusion.

“How do you know what Big Macintosh is talking about when he only ever says one word?”

“I dunno,” Pinkie Pie shrugged innocently, “Can’t everypony”

Spike started to explain that it was impossible to get that much information from a single word and that she could not be ignorant about that the way she was translating everything he was ‘saying.' But the air deflated from his chest; it seemed pointless to try and explain something so obvious to a pony with Pinkie Pie’s logic.

“So because Dark Star’s watching us we can’t run, we can’t set up some a trap, and he’s going to come back even stronger than before.” Twilight Sparkle summarized.

“Eyep,” Big Macintosh answered simply.

Twilight slumped in despair, “Great, that’s just great.”

---

The hour lapsed all too quickly, the last of the ponies carried beyond the light of Twilight’s false moon as Dark Star dropped from the sky with a calm and relaxed look about him. He landed silently, only a single flap of his wings was heard and stood across from Big Macintosh with his wings spread dramatically and a sly smile on his face. “I hope you’re ready this time Big Macintosh.”

Big Macintosh nodded to the girls, Twilight Sparkle and Princess Luna looked grimly from one stallion to the other. Twilight Sparkle tried to think of some last piece of strategic advice she could give the large red stallion, and Princess Luna tried to think of something she could say to convince Dark Star to stop all this. Neither could think of anything and stepped back to the edge of the light opposite to the hill they had watched the first part of the battle from.

Pinkie Pie lingered a moment her big blue eyes smiling up at his lazy green ones, still confident that Big Macintosh would beat Dark Star. The sandy-maned stallion was not so confident as her. “Pinkamina,” He said her name and she narrowed her eyes at him as if she disapproved but that just made him smile. With nothing else to say he took the sprig of wheat from his mouth and placed it behind her ear and motioned her to join the others.

Pinkie Pie looked over at Dark Star and shouted, “Mackie’s gonna kick your flank,” and stuck her tongue out at him before bouncing over to join her friends. Dark Star just looked amused at the comment, folding his wings and fixing Big Macintosh with a hard look.

Big Macintosh glared back across the distance at Dark Star, “Ah-”

“I know, you don’t want to fight,” Dark Star cut the red stallion off, “Well-”

Big Macintosh cut off Dark Star rearing up and slamming his hooves into the ground. The earth beneath him sank down a foot and caused a tremor the rush through the earth which sent Princess Luna and Twilight Sparkle off balance while Pinkie Pie just shook up and down like a pink ball being dribbled. Dark Star stumbled a step not prepared for such a sudden outburst from the quiet stallion.

Around Big Macintosh, the air seemed to crackle as if alive with electricity and his eyes were shut tight as if he were concentrating. Suddenly they shot open, and Big Macintosh charged at the white-maned stallion closing the distance between them in an instant. Dark Star barely had time to react as the red stallion`s fore-hooves kicked out and slammed into his chest. The force of the kick sent Dark Star flying back, but knowing the strength of the earth pony`s kick, he was able to let himself roll with the blow shrugging off much of the impact. He quickly righted himself in the air and landing back on his hooves sliding a few more feet back before he could stop himself.

Dark Star shot back at Big Macintosh his blade-like horn flaring to life with dark magic ready to add another slash to the red stallion`s marred hide. The black stallion easily ducked under the earth pony`s kick, but then suddenly his opponent was gone. Dark Star looked up to see the sandy-maned stallion easily leaping over him and land with unexpected grace before bucking out with his massive hind legs and slamming the white-maned stallion square on the flank, fulfilling Pinkie Pie`s promise, and flinging the false unicorn forward.

Dark Star threw open his wings catching the air and allowing the force of the buck to propel him into the air at an incredible speed, though the pain in his flank was screaming at him to dodge next time.

He quickly looped back around over Big Macintosh and folded his wings slipping into a high-speed aerial drop thinking he could catch the red earth pony off guard and send him off balance.

Big Macintosh again proved faster than Dark Star thought, throwing himself to the side, out of the black stallion’s path and leaped back up to his hooves after a short roll, moments before Dark Star would have struck him.

Dark Star hit the ground hard, painful vibrations running up his legs and spine, he ignored the pain and jumped back to avoid Big Macintosh’s counter attack. He gave a strong flap of his wings to augment his jump and landed several feet from where he had been, safely out of the red stallion’s immediate reach. However, the green-eyed stallion had not moved, just fixing the other stallion with a cold hard stare. Dark Star frowned at this, shooting Big Macintosh a hateful glare, “You won’t beat me by playing it safe.”

“We don’t have t’ be doin’ this,” Big Macintosh answered sternly.

“I WANT to do this!” Dark Star shot back his horn flaring to life with dark magic, suddenly the white-maned stallion vanished and reappeared in front of Big Macintosh bringing his horn down upon the earth pony.

Having seen Twilight Sparkle use the same spell in the past Big Macintosh was ready for it and jumped back slipping out of the horn’s reach then sprang forward and slammed his hooves into Dark Star with considerable strength hoping to knock the false unicorn out properly this time.

There was little resistance as Big Macintosh’s hoof went right through Dark Star. The large stallion’s eyes shot wide at what he had done, but a moment later the black pony disappeared in a wisp of black smoke. The shock was quickly replaced by confusion as Big Macintosh felt something stab into his side and he neighed out in pain, turning to see three Dark Stars standing at his side.

Big Macintosh cursed at himself for falling for Dark Star’s trickery and quickly bucked out at one of them. A moment of resistance followed by nothingness told him it was just another copy. The red stallion let out another neigh of agony as something stabbed into his side. Reeling in pain Big Macintosh turned and kicked at the Dark Star, but like those before it, this one disappeared in a puff of black smoke, and there was another stab as Dark Star’s horn sank into his side. Big Macintosh bit back the pain and turned to face the real Dark Star ready to kick out at the evil pony, but staggered in pain when he tried to bring his hooves up.

“Big Mac’s hurt bad,” Twilight Sparkle realized grimly. The numerous gashes Dark Star had inflicted before were all but superficial, but these deep stabs were badly hurting Big Macintosh, and he was quickly getting weaker.

“No!” Princess Luna moaned, tears slipping down her face. She looked over at Pinkie Pie who was somberly watching the fight now, not bouncing or cheering excitedly as she had before. “Pinkie Pie I’m...”

“Come on Mackie, beat that meanie!” Pinkie Pie cheered a little more urgent now than cheerful.

Bolstered by the Pinkamina’s cheer Big Macintosh gathered his strength and charged Dark Star, but the false pegasus jumped out of the way and took to the air hovering out of Big Macintosh’s reach. He glared down at the red earth pony for a moment, as the red stallion breathed raggedly trying to remain steady through the pain. Dark Star scoffed, “This fight is over, I’m not going to waste any more time on a weakling like you.”

Dark Star began to fly away, Big Macintosh crouched down to leap after him, but pain raked across his whole body, and it was all the red stallion could do not to double over.

The green eyed stallion gritted his teeth in anger; he did not want to do this, he did not want to hurt anypony, he did not want the power he had, he just wanted to be a farmer, a good pony like his parents. They had been simple ponies, but so brave, they would never let somepony like Dark Star take the princess, they fought to the end. A burning in his chest grew hotter and hotter as he had fought and now burned with an intensity it had not in years. Had either of his parents had this power instead of him they would still be alive, but it was not theirs or anypony else’s. It was his alone, and he would not lose anypony else.

Big Macintosh reared up and shouted, “Y'all leave the princess alone!” And stomped his hooves on the ground.

Dark Star turned to look back at Big Macintosh and saw the ground before red stallion crack in a jagged line of brilliant white light as it shot towards him. Then a ball of light, still connected to the ground and back to Big Macintosh by a thin white tail, shot up out of the ground at Dark Star and exploded in a brilliant flash of white hot light.

“What in Equestria was that?” Spike exclaimed.

“That’s the Mac B.O.M.B.,” Pinkie Pie said with a bounce of excitement.

“The what?” Twilight Sparkle asked finding her voice.

“Mackie’s ‘Baddie Obliterating Mega Blast’” Pinkie Pie explained giving the other’s the distinct impression she had just made up the name.

“But how did he do that... magic... earth pony... n-no!” Twilight Sparkle stammered to explain that an earth pony like Big Macintosh could not perform magic like that.

“He’s a Kinetist,” A stunned Princess Luna recognized. “It is an extremely rare earth pony ability to absorb kinetic energy and alter it to perform near magical effects. Combined his Titan strength Big Macintosh must be able to produce great amounts of the energy at a time, but he must possess extraordinary endurance and willpower to be able to hold so much of it at once.”

“That’s why Mackie can’t lose,” Pinkie Pie said with a cheery smile. She had been a bit worried before, she knew how much Big Macintosh hated using his gifts and would normally avoid doing so at all costs, but when he did use them, especially his strength and kinetic abilities together, he was unbeatable.

Twilight Sparkle could not believe what she was hearing, earth pony magic; that was impossible. She had read all kinds of history on magic and never heard of such a thing. No, that was not entirely true. All of the talk about the earth pony Titan suddenly reminded her of another part of the legend, the legend of Shooting Star.

Shooting Star was the bitter rival of Titan and legend said that he, despite being an earth pony, used magic to become nearly as powerful as Titan. If that were true, then it could have been the same Kinetist magic that Big Macintosh was using now.

With a snort of anger, Dark Star landed across from Big Macintosh glaring at him hatefully. That blast of kinetic energy would have been more than enough to severely injure any ordinary pony, but Dark Star was too well protected by his magic. Still, his fur, mane, and wings were singed by the blast giving his a mangy look and left him a little out of breath. Dark Star calmed himself, “Finally showing all you’ve got hmm.”

Dark Star also knew of kinetisis earth ponies, he had met the last one a thousand years ago and was forced to deal with her for interfering with his mistress’ plans. Dark Star had known both a fully trained Titan earth pony and kinetisis earth pony, and either was far more powerful than Big Macintosh was. This filled the false unicorn pegasus with rage, how could anypony allow such potent abilities to go to waste, to sit undeveloped and unused. It was an affront to everything Dark Star stood for, he had spent a thousand years developing his power, and he was not afraid to use them.

“Well it’s too little too late, you’ve insulted me for the last time, Big Macintosh! I’m going to show you how to use power! Shadowic...” Dark Star shouted his horn glowing with dark magic that quickly spread out over his whole body.

Big Macintosh knew that this was truly his last chance to defeat the insane pony, he could not hold back this time. The red stallion concentrated gathering all the energy he had left; he had only used a quarter of the kinetic energy he had stored up in the last blast. He reared up and slammed his hooves down hard, the line of white energy more brilliant than the first shot out from between his hooves cutting a jagged line through the ground towards Dark Star.

“Boom!” Dark Star cried unleashing a wave of dark energy at Big Macintosh, the wave hit as a huge ball of energy burst forth from the ground and exploded.

“Down!” Pinkie Pie cried jumping up and pushed Twilight Sparkle, Princess Luna, and Spike to the ground as a wave of force rolled over them blowing away anything not securely clinging to the ground as the earth shook violently.

It was several moments before it felt as if the wave had truly passed by, Pinkie Pie was the first one up, bouncing back to her hooves and trying to see through the huge cloud of dust the colliding spells had kicked up. Spike quickly followed, having been pushed off Twilight Sparkle’s back, and pushed his way past the purple unicorn and the princess to see what had happened.

A tense silence had fallen over the field, disturbed only by a faint ringing in everyone’s ears, and the cloud of dust still obscured all, slowly dispelled by the whisper of a helpful breeze. It rolled back the dust revealing the first figure; a black and white-maned unicorn lying still on his side a pair of badly ruffled wings stretched out behind him. The relief of that revelation was short-lived as each pony and dragon held their breath in anticipation of their friend’s state.

There was a collective gasp as the dust blew away revealing Big Macintosh’s form, his head bent as he heaved for breath, being truly exhausted was a rare occurrence for him.

Twilight Sparkle, Spike, and Princess Luna breathed with excited relief, but Pinkie Pie cheered, “Mackie!” And bounced to the red stallion, clearing the distance in a blink of an eye.

“You did it!” She shouted throwing her hooves around his neck in a tight hug. “I told you, you could do it!”

“Pinkamina,” Big Macintosh said wrapping a hoof around her. He owed it all to her, to her belief in him, to her-

A collective gasp from the others put a swift end to the celebratory thoughts, and Big Macintosh looked up to see Dark Star on his hooves, his horn aglow and a look of rage spread across his features.

“Pinkamina!” Big Macintosh cried pulling her around him to cover her with his body just in time as a concentrated blast of pressurized air slammed into him. The force of the blast sent the weakened stallion flying over the pink mare and crashing into the ground. The last thing he heard was Pinkie Pie calling out to him before the darkness claimed him completely.

“Mackie, Mackie!” Pinkie Pie panicked and nuzzled frantically against the large red stallion, tears pouring from her eyes soaking his fur. Her optimism was completely crushed, she had never once considered that Big Macintosh could be beaten and now seeing him like this, she was suddenly terrified that she might have lost him forever.

Finally, she thought to press an ear to his chest and heard the steady beating of his heart and the shallow sound of breathing. “You’re gonna be alright Mackie, you’re gonna be fine,” She soothed more for her sake than anything else.

The sound of hoof steps behind her snapped Pinkie Pie out of her panic, she jumped up and turned to face Dark Star. “You stay away from him!” Pinkie Pie shouted lowering herself into a crouching position and growling savagely at the white-maned pony. “I won’t let you hurt him; I’ll kill you if you try and touch him!”

Dark Star gave her a quick smirk that turned almost instantly back into a frown, “I have no doubt you would. You would have made a much better opponent than him,” Dark Star spat eyes fixing on Big Macintosh. “He had no will to fight, in the end, he was just a weakling.” Dark Star turned away from the pair and spread his bat-like wings.

“You’re wrong!” Dark Star paused and looked back at the pink pony, “Mackie doesn’t want to hurt anypony even a meanie weenie like you. He’s stronger than you could ever be.”

Dark Star scoffed and took to the air flying across the field to land a few feet from Twilight Sparkle and the princess. “Now that there are no more distractions-”

“Stay away from the princess!” Spike shouted leaping at Dark Star; it had taken considerable courage for Spike to stand up to the evil pony, even if he was merely scratching blindly at him. However, when the baby dragon failed to hit Dark Star or the ground he curiously opened his eyes and discovered that he was just clawing at empty air having been caught and was floating harmlessly in the false unicorn’s magic.

Dark Star turned the dragon over and looked at him with a critical eye. “You don’t even have wings yet kid,” he commented tossing Spike aside. The purple dragon bounced across the ground several times before landing face down in the dirt. Spike pushed himself back up biting his quivering lip and blinking back tears, “Call me when you grow a pair.”

Dark Star turned back to Princess Luna, “As I was saying, it’s time for you to come with me, princess.”

Twilight Sparkle lowered herself down as if readying herself to charge but Princess Luna stepped in front of the purple mare, her head held high, “No I will not go with thou.”

“What?” Dark Star snapped, Twilight Sparkle also looked over to the princess with a little surprise.

“I said no,” Princess Luna said bravely standing even taller now against Dark Star. “I will not continue to act like a scared foal, and I will not let my subject fight my battles for me anymore. I will make my own choices, and it will not be to bow to thy’s whim anymore!”

Dark Star was visibly taken aback for a moment, he honestly never expected weak little Princess Luna to act so much like Nightmare Moon. He smiled and gave a little chuckle, “Alright if that is your choice then I will let it to you to make the next one. Who first?”

“What?” Princess Luna asked confused by Dark Star’s reaction.

“Who will I have to kill first in order to change your mind?” Dark Star asked calmly and turned back to where Pinkie Pie stood protectively over Big Macintosh. “I could kill the lovers, or perhaps your sister’s favorite pupil?” He looked over the lunar princess to the purple unicorn behind her then back to the Princess. “Or perhaps your resolve is so strong that I’ll have to destroy all of Ponyville to convince you to come with me."

“No!” Princess Luna shouted her eyes desperate and filled with wild fear. “Please no, I’ll go with thou just don’t hurt anypony.”

“Good I knew you’d listen to reason, let’s go.” Dark Star motioned and turned to spread his wings.

“You’re a monster!” Twilight Sparkle shouted but Princess Luna held her back from doing anything else.

Dark Star chuckled and took to the air turning to look down at Twilight Sparkle, “Tell your princess I expect her to keep the celestial cycle like a good princess. I would hate to have to interfere personally on such a matter, let’s go, Luna.”

Princess Luna looked sorrowfully at her dear friend, “I am sorry Twilight Sparkle. I was not strong enough,” Then took to the air as well.

Twilight Sparkle stared after them, but with a flick of his horn, Dark Star shattered the unicorn’s false moon like a mirror. The shards became a shower of starlight which passed all too quickly, plunging the world into gloomy darkness.

Author's Note:

The working title for this chapter was Dark Star vs Big Macintosh.

For more information on Big Macintosh and Pinkie Pie, please check out Pink Apple Seeds.