• Published 16th Nov 2016
  • 659 Views, 18 Comments

Darkest Star - The1Ryu



Princess Luna has returned from a thousand years absence and after a bit of a rocky start she seemed to be coming into her own. However, a series of mishaps to the ponies around have caused ponies to begin to fear her once more.

  • ...
4
 18
 659

Chapter Five: Dual Revelations

Chapter Five
Dual Revelations

Rainbow Dash fidgeted in her bed glaring up at the ceiling, only the nurse’s threat to sedate her kept the rainbow maned pegasus from dragging herself from the bed and trying to find out what was going on. The blue mare looked over to see her roommate Applejack who was also glaring up at the ceiling though she was lying still, seething with anger.

They had both heard the sounds of fighting, seen the rise of the false moon, had felt the unmistakable explosion of a sonic boom. At first, the doctors and nurses just gathered around windows trying to see what was going on, but at the same time denying the patients from doing the same. They forced Rainbow Dash and Applejack back to their room, while some of the doctors and a group of nurses went out to investigate. They returned with dozens of injured ponies and whispers of Big Macintosh fighting somepony.

There was no doubt in the mares’ minds that the others had confronted Nightmare Moon and that without the Elements of Harmony Big Macintosh had been forced onto the front line. With herself and Applejack incapacitated Rainbow Dash figured that the quiet stallion was the strongest pony in town, “But is he really tough enough to take on somepony like Nightmare Moon?” The rose-eyed mare asked reluctantly her voice filled with frustration at being stuck in bed while such a big battle was going on.

“Don’t worry sugarcube Big Mac’s even stronger than he looks,” Applejack replied covering her frustration with pride for her brother. “Besides he’s also got Twilight t’ help him, ah’m sure she’ll come up with a brilliant plan.” Applejack turned to the window, “Things been quiet for a long while now too. Ah, bet they beat that evil pony int’ the ground.”

“I’m sorry Applejack,” Her voice precede her as Twilight Sparkle slowly entered the room, “We did everything we could.”

Applejack instantly feared the worst and nearly shot out of her bed demanding to know what had happened to her brother, but Rainbow Dash held her back with a quick reassurance and a demand to know just what was going on.

Twilight Sparkle explained all that had happened as quickly and clearly as she could; her shame over her own ineffective plan was obvious. She explained about Dark Star and the truth that he was the one who attacked them, that he had been trying to isolate Princess Luna and that he wanted to change her back into Nightmare Moon. Then the purple unicorn explained her plan, its utter failure and the battle between Dark Star and Big Macintosh.

“...but Dark Star was too strong. He managed to defeat Big Macintosh and took the princess.” Twilight Sparkle finished looking up at her friends; Rainbow Dash lay almost dazed at the revelation of Big Macintosh’s abilities.

Applejack, however, was almost frantic with worry, “Is Big Macintosh all right, what happened to him, where is he?”

“He was stable when they brought him in,” Twilight Sparkle reassured her. “The doctors are treating him now, Pinkie’s with him.”

The mares were taken aback by that, “Why is Pinkie Pie with him?” Rainbow Dash asked with a curious frown.

Twilight Sparkle shifted nervously looking from the floor to Applejack and back again several times before saying, “I...I think they’re ‘together,' you know a couple.”

“WHAT!!” The two injured ponies shouted at once earning them a rather insistent shush from one of the nurses. Several minutes of silence followed as Applejack and Rainbow Dash tried to decide what to do with such information and finally decided just not to talk about it, at least for now.

“So what about Dark Star?” Rainbow Dash finally asked breaking the silence.

Twilight Sparkle was unsure what to do now about the evil pony, she started to say something but stopped as the sun started to crest over the horizon. Orange light filled the room and faster than nature should have allowed the light became golden then clear as all three mares turned to look out the window.

Fallowing the rapid sunrise a ball of white light came forth from the golden sun and a moment later streamed in through the window. With a brilliant flash, the ball of light transformed into a beautiful white unicorn pegasus with a flowing rainbow mane.

“Princess Celestia,” Twilight Sparkle gasped with joy and stepped towards her mentor only to be rebuffed by the stern look that played across the princess’ features. The purple mare’s mind instantly filled with countless potential accusations for her failure to protect Princess Luna, deal with Dark Star and inform Princess Celestia as to what was happening. Twilight Sparkle sank to the ground bowing her head low to the princess.

“I’m sorry princess my plan went all wrong, and I couldn’t protect your sister!” The purple unicorn blurted out before the princess had a chance to speak.

“Oh no, Twilight,” Fluttershy whimpered stepping out from behind Princess Celestia, she lowered her head next to friend's reassuringly. “It’s all my fault; I should have gotten to the princess sooner.” Fluttershy was not sure exactly what had happened but was sure it had to be the fault of a slow, weak pony like her rather than a clever, brave pony like Twilight Sparkle.

“It ain’t either of y'all’s fault,” Applejack reassured quickly.

“Ya it all that stupid Dark Star’s fault, if I’d-”

“So it is Dark Star!” Princess Celestia interrupted Rainbow Dash, frowning she looked to the side deep in thought of a moment. Her eyes fell back on Twilight Sparkle who was still remorsefully slumped on the ground, and her expression softened.

She approached her student kneeling down to look the purple mare in the face. “Your friends are right Twilight it was not your fault, I know you did everything you could to protect Luna. You could not have known how powerful he would be; I’m sure you did all you could to stop him. I’m very proud of you for trying so hard, and am so relieved that you and your friends were not more hurt, or worse.”

Princess Celestia looked down at the floor remorsefully, “If anypony is to be blame it would be me. I should have known something was wrong when I saw the false moon, instead of thinking it was merely some magic lesson my sister was giving you. I should have known that a pony like Dark Star would never let something like death keep him from serving his queen.”

Twilight Sparkle looked up at the princess who smiled down at her reassuringly; the purple unicorn wanted to bury her face in the princess’ neck and let all her fears pour out of her as she had as a filly. She knew, however, that she could not do that now; she had to keep herself together, for there was still far too much that still needed to be done. “Who is this Dark Star Princess; there was so little information I couldn’t find out much about him. Even his existence was really just a guess.”

“Patients Twilight Sparkle I will tell you everything about him soon, but since his evil has affected you all, I wish to have all your friends here when I do. I sent messages to the others with my magic when I arrived; hopefully, they will be here soon.”

Twilight Sparkle frowned grimly, “I don’t know if Rarity will be able to come, princess, she was hurt pretty badly by Dark Star’s counterspell.”

“Don’t be silly darling,” Rarity’s voice rang out across the room as she trotted in briskly head held high, Spike quickly following after. “It would take more than that silly little spell to keep me from answering a royal summons.” She said proudly, bowing and formally greeting the Princess. Rarity’s proud and noble disposition did little to hide the unmistakable redness that lit up her face.

“Are y’all sure yer all right there darlin’, ya look pretty red,” Applejack asked curiously.

“What? Oh yes, yes I am fine. Just a little tired, one does not get a very restful sleep when one is knocked out by such a terrible brute.” Rarity quickly explained, and it was at least half true. She was feeling weak and did not feel at all refreshed from being unconscious, however, waking up to find Spike hovering over her bed about to try and wake her with a kiss was the true culprit of her blush. Although it was not the most appropriate conduct for a young gentle drake to steal a kiss from a sleeping mare the white unicorn did not hold any ill feelings towards the little dragon, it was quite cute after all.

Spike was undoubtedly embarrassed enough from the unceremonious tumble he took when his attempt was interrupted by the sudden arrival of the princess’ summons, which also served to saved Rarity the embarrassment of gently rebuffing the dragon.

For his part, Spike was fortunate that his purple scales hid his blush better than Rarity’s white coat, but still painfully embarrassed he did his best to hide behind Twilight Sparkle.

“Well good now we just have to wait for Pinkie Pie, I hope she doesn’t take too long,” Twilight Sparkle said with a sigh.

“Ooo, me neither,” A cheerful voice said as its pink owner bounced up and down eagerly next to her purple friend. “I want to hear all about that meanie weenie Dark Star... so who we waitin’ for?”

Everypony turned in surprise to see the pink mare in question and wonder briefly how she had gotten there when none of them saw her enter the room. Twilight Sparkle was the one to finally ask, “Pinkie where’d you come from?”

“Well, when a mommy and a daddy love each other very much-”

“No that’s... just never mind.” The striped maned unicorn interrupted Pinkie Pie, then abandoned her question, it was often best to just not ask when it came to how or why her pink friend did things.

“How’s mah brother?” Applejack asked, her concern for her brother’s well-being prompting her to try and ignore the other inevitable questions she would have to ask Pinkie Pie about the nature of her friend and her brother’s relationship. Despite the innocents of the question Rainbow Dash had to bite her tongue to keep from laughing out at the question given what they had just learned about Pinkie Pie and Big Macintosh.

“Pretty bad, the doctors said it would be a while before he's recovered enough to go back to work.” Pinkie Pie explained, she was overjoyed that the red stallion was alright, but Pinkie Pie had never been as afraid as she had been when she saw him broken and beaten by Dark Star. The two emotions were still clashing in Pinkie Pie’s chest leaving her bubbly, but a little subdued when it came to Big Macintosh. “That meanie weenie missed all of Mackie’s vitals, but the doctors were concerned that they couldn’t give him stitches. I explained all about his gifts and the doctors are preparing some magic needles right now.”

“Magic needles?” Twilight Sparkle questioned still very confused about all that she had learned about Big Macintosh’s abilities last night.

“Magically sharpened stuff’s the only thing that can pierce Big Mac’s think hide, but Tarnation!” Applejack cursed, “Me and Big Macintosh can’t both be stuck in ‘ere fer weeks. The farm will go under without one of us to work it.” Applejack said struggling momentarily against her own bandages but quickly gave up when pain raced through her body firmly telling her that she was not going anywhere.

The others were quiet not knowing really what to say, but Pinkie Pie bounced over to Applejack. “Don’t worry Applejack, Mackie said the same thing when he woke up, but I told him not to worry cus I’m gonna take care of the farm till you two are better.” Pinkie Pie held a hoof to her chest as she puffed it out proudly.

Applejack’s eyes went wide with panic at Pinkie Pie’s statement, and she renewed her struggling with vigor. “Nurse! Nurse ah gotta get here!” There was no way the orange mare could let her pink friend take over the care of the farm. She could not even begin to imagine the pink painted insanity Pinkie Pie would bring upon her beloved farm.

“AJ you need to chill out,” Rainbow Dash said reaching over to settle her friend down, catching and firmly taking hold of her hoof as if flailed her direction.

“W-we can all help out,” Fluttershy offered quickly and softly, not wanting her friend to hurt herself anymore.

“Yes and your Granny Smith and Applebloom will still be there to make sure everything is being done properly,” Rarity added reassuringly.

“And I’ll keep you appraised of what’s happening, and we’ll make a checklist for the others to follow.” Twilight Sparkle said stepping over to her friend.

Applejack stopped struggling and looked over at all her friends, lastly Rainbow Dash whose hoof she squeezed back. She took a few breaths to calm herself as the princess dismissed a worried looking nurse with a nod. Applejack sighed, “Y'all are right, ah can’t go hurting myself worse and y'all are family after all so the farm will be in good hooves with y'all. Just make sure y'all keep a close eye on Pinkie Pie.”

Everypony chuckled, save Pinkie Pie who gave a small frown, “You girls are worse than Mackie, he didn’t think I can take care of the farm either.”

As if to emphasize her point the floor suddenly began to shake as a desperate looking Big Macintosh dragged himself across the door as six nurses tried in vain to hold the injured stallion back, clinging to legs, back, tail and even his yoke. Pinkie Pie had made sure he had gotten it back as soon as they were at the hospital. Big Macintosh had made her promise to do such knowing that even weakened his strength was so terrible that he would be a threat to the ponies caring for him without it. However, it did not seem to be slowing him down right now, “Let me go! Ah, gotta get back t’ the farm... Pinkamina’s gonna paint everythin’ pink!”

“Humph,” Pinkie Pie frowned sticking her nose into the air, maybe she should not bother helping since everypony seemed to think that she was just going to mess everything up. What did they think that she did not know how to do anything but bake and throw parties? She could do anything she set her mind to and could do a great deal more than most, or, she thought with an evil grin, more than six ponies put together could do. Well if they did not trust her, then she would just have to show them how wrong they were.

“They’re never going to stop him like that,” Pinkie Pie said happily bouncing towards the frantic stallion. He noticed her just as she reached his ear. At first, he looked worried, probably regretting what he had just said or at least not noticing that his pink marefriend was standing nearby when he had said it. Worry turned to surprise then shock when blue eyed mare whispered something in the red stallion’s ear. Suddenly Big Macintosh’s face turned an even deeper shade of crimson as blood squirted from his nose, his eyes rolled back in his head, and he passed out.

With a satisfied grin, Pinkie Pie bounced back to her friends as the nurses carefully picked up the unconscious stallion and carried him back to his room.

“What did you say to him?” Rainbow Dash asked surprise played across her face.

“A lady does not discuss such things,” Rarity quickly interjected silencing Pinkie Pie was a hoof before the mischievously grinning mare could speak. Her sense of modesty overpowering her curiosity over what seemed to be something between Pinkie Pie and Big Macintosh. She glanced at her friends, but only Fluttershy shared her confusion. That was disappointing as Rarity was too proper to ask about the pair and Fluttershy was too shy to talk about such thing openly.

“Ah don’t wanna know,” Applejack said sharply intending to drop the conversation there, but her curiosity got the better of her, and she asked, “How long’s this been going on anyway?”

Pinkie Pie brought a hoof to her chin grinning wide as tried to come up with an excuse with which to fane ignorance, but a stern look from Applejack told her she had better reconsider such silliness. “Oh me and Mackie have been good friends since before I even got my cutie mark.”

Pinkie Pie recounted the tale of how she had met Big Macintosh; the story answered many of the questions that she had never been able to answer about Big Macintosh. Most knew him as strong and reliable but few, almost no, ponies knew that much of the time Big Macintosh was very depressed. Applejack now realized that it was Pinkie Pie who had been pulling Big Macintosh out of his depression, a fact that left a sting of jealousy in her heart, for she had been powerless to help her brother while Pinkie Pie seemed to do it so easily.

The others did not notice the sour feelings this realization had caused Applejack, save for Rainbow Dash. Attuned to her best friend’s mood like nopony else the blue pegasus instantly noticed her friend’s brooding expression and gave her hoof another strong squeeze and a reassuring smile. Applejack smiled back, after all, what did it matter who helped Big Macintosh out of his sadness so long as he was happy. With a crazy mare like Pinkie Pie at his side, it would be hard not to be happy.

“That is so romantic finding love with a lifelong friend and Big Macintosh is just so handsome, sweet and strong. Oh, I am jealous that I missed my chance with him.” Rarity said dreamily, Spike frowned and crossed his arms angrily jealousy running all through him. Rarity noticed this out of the corner of her eye and smiled to herself quite pleased for some reason with this response.

“Y’all were eyein’ mah brother too?” Applejack frowned taken aback by the white unicorn’s revelation.

“Just a little bit,” Rarity said with a wink.

“Big Mac does look like a pony who wouldn’t ‘run out’ on a mare.” Rainbow Dash said with a chuckle, “I thought about jumping his bones a few times, and you both have the same eyes. Bonus!”

“What in tarnation is that supposed t’ mean?!” Applejack practically shrieked letting go of Rainbow Dash’s hoof and glared at her

“Well I... just mean you have... you both have pretty... pretty nice eyes. That’s all,” Rainbow Dash stammered through her explanation causing the other girls to laugh, save Applejack whom blushed and glared furiously at her best friend.

“Anyways we’ve all thought about Big Mac that way once or twice, even a bookworm like Twilight has.” Rainbow Dash said defensively trying to take the focus off of herself.

All eyes suddenly fell on Twilight Sparkle, “Is that true?” Applejack demanded.

Twilight Sparkle sunk under the intimidating gaze of her friends, “Well I ah... ahh...” Truthfully she had lots of fantasies about the handsome red farm pony, most of which involved intimate moments sparked while she taught him to read. Big Macintosh knew how to read, of course, she knew that he often came to the library and checked out books. However, when he had first come to the library after she moved in, she had been rather unprofessional in her duties as a librarian and ignored him in favor of an experiment she was conduction. Until she needed help, Spike was on an errand and asked Big Macintosh to read her a passage from a book to her.

When he answered with his trademark ‘Nope’ and hastily retreated from the library, she took it to mean he could not read and left in embarrassment. She had not realized of course that she had been ignoring him for over ten minutes, leaving him to seek out his book through the confusingly re-shelved library and was simply running very late as a result.

Twilight Sparkle took to sneaking around and observing the stallion to confirm her suspicion and after several days managed to convince herself that the farm pony was indeed illiterate. That was when the dreams, night and day, of intimate reading lessons, began and soon Twilight Sparkle was so convinced of her feelings and assertions that the next time Big Macintosh came to the library, she confronted him about the problem and offered her services to him as a reading teacher.

The embarrassment Twilight Sparkle felt that day has never been equaled and likely never would be. Big Macintosh took the whole thing with a gentle sense of humor, but Twilight Sparkle was sure that Applejack would stomp her into unicorn paste when she found out. However, Applejack nor any other pony ever found out because of course Big Macintosh never told anypony else. Still, it was a month before the mere sight of Big Macintosh stopped causing Twilight Sparkle to run the other direction.

But now there under the intense gaze of her friends Twilight Sparkle once again felt those feelings, and the embarrassment returned in full force. Now with nowhere to run she made a very Fluttershy-like nervous squeak and sunk to hide behind her mane, it was all the conformation her friends needed.

Rarity and Fluttershy moved to console Twilight Sparkle, assuring her that they were just teasing and picked the purple mare up off the floor. After a moment she was able to stand up on her own though she refused to speak, just nodding or shaking her head in response and a deep crimson blush played across her face.

Applejack crossed her forelegs in a most uncharacteristic pout and glared up at the ceiling, “Well it’s good t’ know all mah friends been plannin’ on makin’ off with mah brother. Here ah thought ah only had t’ be worryin’ about Fluttershy.”

“I think you mean ‘makin’ out,'” Rainbow Dash said and giggle at the glare Applejack shot her way. “But you’re right; I always thought she’d be the one to end up with the big guy too.”

“Yes, I thought so too,” Rarity nodded in agreement.

“It does seem like a logical pairing,” Twilight Sparkle added finally finding her voice again now that the attention was off her.

All eyes were on Fluttershy now; the yellow mare shrank away from her friends’ gaze hiding as best she could behind her pink mane. Before Fluttershy could even begin to speak, Pinkie Pie had closed the distance between them and was staring down at the pegasus intensely. “Is that true Fluttershy, are you after my stallion?”

“What? I’m... no...” Fluttershy said softly shrinking back into a wall quivering under the gaze of the pink mare. Pinkie Pie had heard several ponies mention the ‘perfect couple’ of Fluttershy and Big Macintosh when she had moved to Ponyville but she had always ignored it, most ponies did not seem to know the first thing about the stallion. After meeting Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie decided that she could not think of a more mismatched partner for the red stallion if she had tried. Though she did have to admit, she was pretty bias on the matter.

For her part, Fluttershy did not have strong feelings one way or another for Big Macintosh. When she had first met the large stallion, she was intimidated by his size, but slowly over time became more and more relaxed around him. She had noticed a quiet sadness about the red workhorse, but before she could work up the courage to talk to him about it, it had greatly dissipated.

“Okie, Dokie, Lokie,” Pinkie Pie rhymed happily instantly appeased by the yellow pegasus’ weak, though truthful, denial.

The others let out a ringing of laughter, this time even Applejack let herself chuckle shaking her head at the thought of the crazy, exuberant Pinkie Pie with her level-headed reserved brother. However, an image of the two laying in the orchard Pinkie Pie happily rushing from one topic to another as they popped into her head while Big Macintosh listened following Pinkie Pie’s every movement with a slight content smile on his lips projected itself into her mind.

Princess Celestia watched Twilight Sparkle and her friends delightedly amazed at how the youths could forget, even for a moment, the terrible danger that loomed over them and celebrate the union of two hearts. She stood by silent and somehow unnoticed not daring to intrude on their peaceful world with grim reality, at least not immediately.

Rainbow Dash’s laughing suddenly turned into a squeak of pain as she clutched her side wincing and biting back any further sounds of pain, the laughing had caught up with her and caused her injuries to cry out in protest.

“Y'all gonna be ok there Rainbow,” Applejack reassured as much as she asked as she edged back closer to her friend.

“Do you want me to get you anything?” Fluttershy asked rushing to her friend’s side while the others looked on with concern.

“Naw I’m alright,” Rainbow Dash waved off their concern and waited for the pain to die down. She gave a little sigh when it passed and quickly added, to save face, “All I need is to give that bastard Dark Star a good buck to the face. And now that we have the elements of harmony we’ll show him who the toughest ponies around are.”

“I’m afraid I don’t want any of you putting yourselves in that kind of risk this time.” Princess Celestia interjected calmly trying to sound as diplomatic as possible while still denying her faithful subjects from doing what they thought they needed to do.

All six ponies gasped and looked up at the princess, but only Rainbow Dash was brash enough to protest. “What! Come on Princess; we’ve dealt with worst threats then Dark Star before. We’ve taken down Discord and Nightmare Moon. Dark Star’s just her lackey we can handle him.”

Princess Celestia shook her head wishing dearly that it was truly that simple. “Dark Star is unlike any foe you’ve fought before. Dark Star is not pridefully ignorant like Nightmare Moon nor confidently complacent like Discord. The moment he sees anypony wielding the Elements of Harmony he will not hesitate to eliminate them.”

The other’s looked at Applejack and Rainbow Dash while the two injured mares looked at each other. They all imagined succumbing to a similar fate, Dark Star attacking from the shadows without pause or mercy. The others all shuttered at the thought; Applejack and Rainbow Dash clutched hooves once more.

“But why?” Twilight Sparkle asked looking back to her teacher, “Why is Dark Star doing all this... who is he?”

“Dark Star’s story is a long one that began over a thousand years ago,” Princess Celestia said closing her eyes sadly, retrieving the tale from memory. Twilight Sparkle sat down before her teacher, the usually wide inquisitive eyes that had always followed her teacher’s lessons here now marred with worry. The others followed suit sitting down and listening intently to their monarch’s tale.

“Dark Star grew up in a town much like Ponyville, during that time his name was Starlight and he was a kind and gentle soul, but very timid as well.” Princess Celestia began, and the others turned to look at Fluttershy who perked up curiously at the similarity between her and this Starlight. The rainbow maned monarch did not miss the comparison but shook her head as if to answer an unasked question.

“No, Starlight was even more timid than dear Fluttershy. At that time he was just an earth pony and was so shy that he could only venture out of his home at night when there were no other ponies around.”

“Dark Star was an earth pony?” Twilight Sparkle asked all eyes shooting from Princess Celestia to her and back again questioningly. The princess gave a nod and look that told them she would explain all in good time.

“Being one of the only ponies who remained awake at night it was only a matter of time before he caught the attention of my dear sister. Luna and I had just been crowned then and began our duties as princesses of the sun and moon.” Princess Celestia paused and could not help but smile to herself at the memory. “Luna was still young and playful then as well as a bit lonely in her stewardship of the night, so she was ecstatic to find a pony out enjoying her beautiful night.

“Luna wasn’t put off by Starlight’s shyness at all, and after a very long and persistent effort she became his friend.” Princess Celestia let out a small chuckle at the memory of her excited sister telling her about success befriending the shy earth pony, which almost made her forget the sorrowful undertone of the story. “Luna was very adventurous back then as well and would drag poor Starlight into one kind of trouble after another; it was mostly harmless... That is until they unintentionally released a terrible monster from another plane of existence. I have to admit I never thought Starlight was capable of the kind of courage he showed then, but the colt fought bravely saving Luna many times. He’d become a knight for her, donning shining armor and racing to her rescue. By the time the crisis was over, he’d changed so much that his cutie mark even changed, and he no longer showed any fear of other ponies or most anything anymore.

“It only seemed fitting then that during his knighting ceremony we bestowed upon him, not just a title but a great gift, magically constructed wings, and Starlight became Star Knight. He was a knight and a royal guardian of the princesses and lead his own squad of knights against the enemies of Equestria.” These should have been proud words, but the princess’ sadness was heard in her regal voice. Princess Celestia paused for a moment expecting to be flooded by questions from her pupil and her friends.

“Wow Fluttershy I guess there’s hope for you yet, you might become the totally awesome champion of the Princesses.” Rainbow Dash broke the silence with her joke, but there was hardly any reaction from her friends. Rarity and Applejack gave the blue pegasus a quick glare that told her this was not a good time to be joking around and Fluttershy smiled weakly.

Huffing at the general criticism, Rainbow Dash relented to the seriousness of the situation and asked. “So if this stallion was such a big hero how’d he turn into such a jerk?”

“It was Nightmare Moon,” Princess Celestia answered simply, closing her eyes and remembering that awful time and the terrible decision that followed because of it.

“Star Knight was always Princess Luna’s pony; he always stood by her side no matter what. At first, when feelings of jealousy began to grow in my sister’s heart he did all he could to dissuade them pointing out that all ponies loved the wonders of her night even if they could not always remain awake to enjoy them, but it wasn’t enough. After she had changed, it was his task to stop her and defend Equestria from the danger she represented, but he could not do so. His loyalty to Luna was so strong that he chose to became Dark Star rather than fight her.”

Everypony’s eyes went wide with shock, each wondering how anypony could become so evil just to continue serving another. Each dismissed the idea of doing such a thing, but the thought clung to Twilight Sparkle’s mind far longer than it did the others.

“As a gift for his loyalty, Nightmare Moon gave Dark Star a false horn, which would allow him to use magic, and sent him against the royal guard while she confronted me. My elite guard stood little chance, each one ambushed and incapacitated by Dark Star, and without them, the royal guard didn’t stand a chance against his magic and skill. However, I defeated Nightmare Moon by wielding the Elements of Harmony and with her banished to the moon the conflict was over.

“After that, Dark Star disappeared, and though I searched Equestria and beyond for him, I never found him. After a century had passed, I allowed myself to believe that he had perished, regardless of the magical gifts he had received he was still just a mortal pony. How wrong I was...”

Author's Note:

This was the only chapter to keep its working title