• Published 16th Nov 2016
  • 660 Views, 18 Comments

Darkest Star - The1Ryu



Princess Luna has returned from a thousand years absence and after a bit of a rocky start she seemed to be coming into her own. However, a series of mishaps to the ponies around have caused ponies to begin to fear her once more.

  • ...
4
 18
 660

Chapter Six: Age vs Youth

Author's Note:

I never took very well to the Alicorn Cadence thing so in this chapter I refer to her as only a unicorn. You've probably noticed that I tend to refer to Alicorns as either unicorns or pegasi depending on context. So, and you hardly need my permission to do so, feel free to think of her as an Alicorn in this chapter, it hardly affects the story at all.

Chapter Six
Age vs Youth

“The preparations for your departure are all complete Princess Celestia,” Shining Armor said with a bow. Princess Celestia thought the blue-maned stallion should have been out enjoying his youth instead of standing guard over her wearing that same out of place frown he had been wearing all day. Once again he voiced the nagging concern that was its cause. “I really wish you would let me go with you, your majesty.”

“I really wish you would go out and have some fun before all this worrying catches up with you.” Princess Celestia mused turning her frown into a sly smile.

“But I’m captain of the royal guard, your majesty; I should be there in case anything happens.”

Princess Celestia smiled again closing her eyes contently and knowingly, “You weren’t so insistent last year as I recall. In fact, you were quite eager to finish your duties and excuse yourself.”

“No, I...” The white stallion stammered trying to deny the Princess’ words, but could not. Few ponies could openly lie to the Princess, and Shining Armor certainly wasn't one of them.

Princess Celestia could not help but let out a somewhat undignified giggle then continued. “I have to wonder if it’s really me you’re so worried about and not a certain pupil of mine who just so happens to be spending her first Summer Sun Celebration away from home.”

Shining Armor tried to argue the point but just ended up sighing and slumping onto his flank with his head hung low. “It’s just that... Twilie’s not really good at dealing with other ponies, so I’m not sure it was a good idea putting her in charge. She’s even worse at making friends, and I don’t want her to be lonely during the Summer Sun Celebration. It’s always been her favorite time of the year.”

Princess Celestia was a little taken aback by Shining Armor’s words, not that she showed it, but few ponies ever questioned anything she did. Her wisdom had been the sole guiding force in Equestria for the last thousand years, but then, a worried older brother trusts no wisdom but his own when it comes to little sisters. Princess Celestia stood from her throne and leaped down, a few flaps of her majestic wings allowing her to land as softly as a step. Shining Armor leaped to his hooves suddenly aware that slumping like that was not at all appropriate in front of the princess, but she stayed his worry with a soft reassuring look.

“You needn’t worry so Shining Armor, you have been an exemplary older brother and because of that Twilight Sparkle has grown into a fine young mare. I am confident she will have no problem getting everything ready for my arrival. I also gave her explicit instructions to make friends while she’s there, and have you ever known Twilight to fail to complete an assignment.” Princess Celestia asked with a smile.

Shining Armor chuckled despite himself and shook his head, “Never. If you told her to raise the sun herself, she would find a way to do it.”

Princess Celestia laughed softly and nodded in agreement, “I do believe she would. So you should stop worrying and go have some fun. There’s still more than an hour before the actual ceremony starts.”

“I suppose you’re right your majesty, but all my friends are out with their marefriends tonight. I wouldn’t want to impose on anypony,” He said with a shrug.

“You don’t have a special somepony in your life Shining Armor; I thought a handsome young stallion like you would be beating off the mares with a stick.” Princess Celestia asked with a knowing smile.

Shining Armor blushed at the compliment and began to stammer out a response when the door slowly pushed open, and the pink head of a familiar unicorn mare peeked inside, “You wanted to see me, Auntie.”

Shining Armor’s eyes went wide, and he turned to see the matured but unmistakable form of his sister’s old foalsitter, “Cadence!”

“Shining Armor?” The pink unicorn exclaimed just as shocked to see the white stallion as he was to see her.

Princess Celestia smiled to herself as she was temporarily forgotten, returning to her throne without a sound as the two old friends rushed to meet one another. The joy of the reunion was temporarily lost among several awkward attempts by the pair to greet the other with hug or hoofshake that never seemed to match up at the right time and in the end both just laughed at their own awkwardness and rubbed the back of their heads unsure of what to say.

Deciding to be helpful Princess Celestia cleared her throat causing both ponies to turn to her, “Yes Princess Cadence you arrived just in time to take this troublesome captain off my hooves.” Shining Armor looked like he wanted to protest but Princess Celestia did not give him a chance. “I sent his sister to ready Ponyville for my arrival, and he just doesn’t know what to do with himself.”

“Oh! Little Twilight is already being sent on royal missions,” Princess Cadence exclaimed with a mix of joy and a little worry. “It seems like just last week I was still foalsitting her for your parents.” She said looking over at Shining Armor, “You must be so proud of her.”

“What! Umm... ya! I mean, of course, I’m proud, really proud, super proud of her... Twilight I mean.” Shining Armor stammered his way through the sentence. He did not want Cadence to think he was worrying, like some overly possessive older brother. However, as he stammered, looking everywhere but at the pink mare, and blushing with embarrassment, he figured that looking like an idiot was just as bad. He sighed at himself; there was little he could do about that now.

Princess Celestia just smirked to herself and again decided to help the stallion out, “Oh my it sounds like the two of you have a lot of catching up to do. Why don’t you take him for the rest of the evening Cadence, I sure your friends won’t mind Shining Armor tagging along.”

Shining Armor once again began to protest the Princess’ insistence on sending him away, but this time it was Princess Cadence who spoke up before he could. “Actually all of my friends are out with their coltfriends so that I wouldn’t mind some company at all.” Princess Cadence said gazing up at Shining Armor who stared back at a loss for any thought or protest.

Princess Celestia reclined back a little enjoying the success of her little scheme. She had been aware of the pair’s interest in one another since before she had ever met either of the Sparkle siblings. She also knew that with Twilight Sparkle away, for a good while if the sun princess’ predictions proved true, Shining Armor would never give her a chance to relax and have any fun unless he had somepony new to distract him.

Princess Celestia was about to see the pair off when a cold chill ran down her spine. An ominous yet familiar feeling filled the royal court, the shadows seemed to grow and darken as a thick air of magic filled the room.

Shining Armor noticed it a few moments after Princess Celestia, his face tightening into a glare as he dropped into a defensive stance and whipped around searching for the source of the magic. Princess Cadence looked from Shining Armor to the princess and saw she had the same hard look on her face; her eyes shifted nervously between them. Then Princess Cadence felt it as well, she was not as powerful as her aunt nor trained to sense dangers like Shining Armor was, but she was still a unicorn, a pony naturally attuned to the mystical energies of the world.

All three turned to face the large double doors of the hall as the air began to crackle with electricity. There was a flash of light and a burst of energy so intense it caused Shining Armor and Princess Cadence to shield their eyes, but Princess Celestia stared unblinking as a figure teleported into the room. Then she let out as gasp as the figure became clear to see, “Dark Star.”

The stallion looked ancient, so thin and boney he seemed to be little more than a skeleton with a loose skin hanging over it and a sagging belly. His white mane was a greasy, tangled mess that hung limply from his scalp. His bat-like wings were wrinkled, cracked, and hung just a little bit limply even when he had them tucked at his sides. His hooves looked painfully cracked, and his teeth were yellowed, yet his eyes were the same intense gray orbs the Princess remembered from a thousand years ago.

“Hello Celestia, it has been a long time,” Dark Star spoke, his voice was incredibly raspy and so quiet that it was barely a whisper though the princess had no trouble hearing him. After speaking, he immediately erupted into a fit of coughing that almost caused him to double over as his whole body shook.

The shock of seeing what the thousand passing years had done to the healthy and strong stallion she remembered from the final days of her and her sister’s joint rule left the princess speechless. Shining Armor, however, had no such reservations. It was his job to protect the princess and although the ancient unicorn pegasus looked harmless, he anypony capable of teleporting into the royal hall should not be taken lightly.

“This is the princess’ royal court; no pony may enter here without the princess’ consent.” Shining Armor quoted the law but quickly realized that anypony who could break such a law, which was enforced by the princess’ magic, was not about to be turned away by words alone. Shining Armor clenched his teeth angrily and growled past them, “Who are you and what are you here for!”

“Not some uppity colt and his little marefriend that’s for sure.” Dark Star said once his coughing had stemmed. “No, I’m here to fulfill my Queen’s great prophecy, to bring about the end of day and the beginning of night eternal, and to usher in the rule of my mistress Nightmare Moon.” The short explanation brought about another fit of coughing.

Shining Armor’s eyes went wide with horror and surprise for a moment at the bold statement but quickly narrowed into a cold determined glare as the white unicorn stood up to his full height. “Then by the power of her royal highness, I’m placing you under arrest for treason against the princess.”

“Shining Armor no!” Princess Celestia called out as the blue-maned captain reached out to seize the ancient pony.

Dark Star’s blade-like horn flashed to life with dark magic and the ancient unicorn summoned forth a torrent of water that slammed into Shining Armor with the force of a charging buffalo flinging the stallion a dozen feet across the room. Shining Armor crashed into the floor writhing in pain and trying desperately to get back the breath that had been knocked out of him. Princess Cadence rushed to his side trying to see if he needed her help, but though the blow had hurt and knocked the wind out of him, Shining Armor was not badly injured, quickly getting back up on his hooves.

“Don’t waste my time colt; I had your job back when the princesses had real enemies and needed real protection. You’re just some glorified secretary; you don’t stand any chance against me no matter how old and feeble you think I am.” Dark Star ranted his eyes flashed with madness. His voice quickly became strained, and he finished with a desperate gasp for air that caused him to erupt into another fit of coughing.

"Princesses?" Cadence repeated, confusion spreading across her features looking over the ancient pony, then back at Shining Armor.

“I’m fine,” Shining Armor quickly reassured Princess Cadence nudging her back behind him. “I’ll show him what this ‘glorified secretary’ can do.” Before the pink unicorn could protest the white stallion was off again, charging the old black stallion, his horn aglow with magic.

Dark Star saw the barreling white form of Shining Armor through the tears in his eyes. Snorting with frustration Dark Star’s horn lit up with energy summoning forth a blast of wind. Shining Armor was confused for a moment when the gust of wind hit him, it was not very strong, certainly no threat at all, failing even to slow down his charge. Then he felt the first jet of pressurized air rake across his back like the edge of a sword.

Shining Armor was thankful for the protection of his shield, the ancient unicorn still seemed half blinded by tears and casting that spell seemed to tax him as well. Shining Armor charged on trusting his shield to absorb any damage and knowing that it would take just one kick to fell the old stallion.

Dark Star, however, was not quite as frail as Shining Armor had thought, a second minor spell had cleared away the tears and the white-maned old stallion could see his spell had failed. The ancient stallion did not let this throw him off balance, and without hesitating quickly summoned up more magic setting his horn aglow, and thrust his head up into the air.

The floor beneath Shining Armor began to shake throwing the young stallion off balance forcing him to stop to steady himself. This caution saved the white unicorn’s life as he caught a glimpse of the marble floor warping into a thick spike. Shining Armor dived to the right as a large column of shot up out of the marble floor beneath him narrowly avoiding being skewered by it and the second, third and forth as well. By the time the shaking had stopped, there was a tall wall of huge spiked columns between the young and old stallions.

Shining Armor panted wildly as he tried to force his nerves to calm down. His training taught him to deal with high-pressure situations like disasters or rampaging monster, but nothing like this. This ancient stallion, this Dark Star was trying to kill him. It was inconceivable, ponies did not take lives, and even a rampaging monster was more interested in destruction than death, but Dark Star had just made two very clear attempts on his life.

“You’re an expert in shield and protection magic, hun colt.” Dark Star’s voice came over the wall and chilled Shining Armor to the bone with its calm tone as if the black stallion was commenting on the weather.

The blue-maned unicorn forced himself to calm down and steady his voice so his retort would be just as calm, he did not want the old unicorn pegasus to know he was scared. “And you know attack spells hun grandpa.” Shining Armor said pausing to listen for the old stallion’s snort of anger at the jab to his age, but none came, so he tried again. “H-heard they were lost centuries ago where’d you learn them?” Shining Armor cursed himself for the shaking he could hear in his voice.

“Here and there,” Dark Star answered passively, Shining Armor could almost hear the delighted smile in the old pony’s voice.

“I also heard it takes a lifetime to learn just one, so how did you learn three at such a young age.” Shining Armor took another stab at the white-maned pony’s age.

“It might very well take that long for some pony as untalented as you.” Dark Star replied still unbothered by the white stallion’s comments.

“That’s enough of your cruelty Dark Star,” Princess Celestia announced keeping her regal demeanor, glaring down at her court disapprovingly. “Shining Armor I order you to take Princess Cadence and escape. I will deal with Dark Star myself.”

Princess Celestia stood to step down from her throne, but a jet of wind cut through the air carving a thin, shallow line across the marble steps in front of her stopping the monarch dead. “You stay right there Celestia! This is between the colt and I now; I’ll get to you as soon as I’m finished with him.” Dark Star warned coldly failing to erupt into a fit of coughing this time. Not waiting for the princess’ response, Dark Star turned to look down and glare as if through the wall of spiked columns that Shining Armor was hiding behind. “That is unless the colt would rather go hide under some mare’s tail?”

Shining Armor snorted angrily at that comment, but steeled himself against the anger; he could not afford to lose focus. Thankfully Dark Star’s conversation with the princess no matter how brief gave him a chance to recollect his thoughts and come up with a plan. Dark Star’s first two spells could not penetrate the guard captain’s shield and the earth spell, while much more powerful, was easy for the athletic stallion to dodge. This meant that all Shining Armor had to do was keep moving and not get caught off guard by one of Dark Star’s spells. The old unicorn had used up all his tricks and was now hoping to make Shining Armor angry and sloppy.

“Shining Armor I gave you an order,” Princess Celestia said firmly looking down at him.

The white stallion clenched his teeth fighting the erg that compelled him to obey the princess’ orders. He knew he should, and it was not simple pride that made him oppose the command, no simple taunt could ever make him that prideful. No, he could see the truth in Princess Celestia’s eyes, which said she would not be able to stop the old stallion once he was gone, so he could not abandon her no matter what she said. He looked from Princess Celestia to Princess Cadence and back again and flashed them both a confident smile; maybe it was a little about pride. “Princess, get Cadence out of here I’ll cover you!”

“Shining Armor!” The princesses cried out after him, but neither could stop him.

The guard captain jumped out from behind the wall and charged full gallop at Dark Star. Princess Cadence shook her head and ignored the stallion’s words racing after him though she stood much further from the open edge of the makeshift wall. Dark Star just smiled sinisterly and summoned up his magic which flared up as a dark light around his horn.

Princess Celestia’s eyes shot wide; she knew this spell, Shining Armor’s shield would not protect against it. She wanted to call out to him to stop, but it was far too late and the words caught in her throat. Instead, the sun princess turned her attention to her niece, leaping down from her throne she tackled the pink princess to the ground as she rounded the wall and a dome of golden flames flared up over them as the old stallion's spell manifested.

To his credit, Shining Armor had closed half the distance between him and Dark Star before the old stallion had completed the spell. The young stallion saw red, then orange, yellow, and finally pure white as the flare of the fire erupted in front of him. Blistering heat engulfed him peeling off his magic shield even as if faithfully fulfilled its duty and protected him from the flame. Whinnying in pain the white stallion skidded to a stop and desperately pawed at his burning eyes with a fore hoof completely disorientated by the blindness and pain.

The flames around them died as Princess Cadence finally managed to frantically push her aunt off. She looked up to see Shining Armor stumbling around in blind confusion as Dark Star slowly approached his head held up confidently.

“Not so cocky now are you,” the black stallion spat.

Suddenly realizing that his opponent was still there Shining Armor’s head shot up and he started to back away from the sound of Dark Star’s voice. However, the evil pony did not give him a chance to get very far, summoning up his magic and slamming another bullet of water into the noble pony. The force of it flung him back across the room and slammed him into the makeshift wall. Shining Armor gave a weak cry and collapsed unmoving to the ground.

“SHINING!” Princess Cadence screamed and ran to the stallion’s side. Tears were pouring from her eyes she nudged him attentively with her snout, the terror running deeper when she received no response. Desperately she tried to think of what she was supposed to do for several fearful moments before kneeling down next to the white stallion, pressed her ear gently to his side, and after a moment sighed in relief.

Princess Cadence’s joy was short-lived, however, as the sound of hoof steps reached her other ear. She looked up to see Dark Star walking deliberately slow towards her, causing fear to take hold, command her to run and escape the evil pony. The thought was instantly disregarded as it meant abandoning Shining Armor as well. Bravely Princess Cadence turned to fully face the black unicorn stepping forward to cover the white knight and spoke. “Stay Back! I won’t let you kill him! I’ll fight and die before I let you lay another hoof on him!” It was impressive that the pink princess was able to keep her words so strong and steady.

Dark Star paused for a moment to consider Princess Cadence’s words then began to chuckle softly. Through her terror, the pink mare felt a stab of insult to have her bravery laughed at like it was a joke. She began to throw an insult back at him, but the words died on her tongue as Dark Star stepped up to meet her challenge. He loomed over her glaring down at her coldly his raggedy wings flared out menacingly. Princess Cadence began to shrink back in fear, but knowing that she had to protect Shining Armor steeled herself against the fear and stood tall. Her magic was not for fighting nor was she a skilled warrior but none of that matter now, all that mattered was protecting Shining Armor.

“Leave them alone Dark Star!” Came a commanding voice causing both Princess Cadence and Dark Star to look over to where Princess Celestia stood at the end of the wall. “They’re not a part of this, and I won’t let anypony be lost over this personal matter.”

Dark Star scoffed turning away from the young mare and stallion and walking over to the sun princess. “You have nothing to worry about Celestia; I would never deprive my Queen of any of her subjects.”

Princess Celestia gave Dark Star a sad glare as he approached her, “Let them leave then.”

“I’m afraid that’s impossible right now, as you well know Celestia, but they will be able to leave unharmed as soon as our business is finished.” He said looking from the couple to the monarch.

Princess Celestia frowned angrily at him but did not dispute what he said, “Cadence dear there is a spell over this room keeping us from leaving, as soon as the spell is lifted get Shining Armor out of here and to the infirmary OK.”

“But Auntie who...” Princess Cadence began to question but the century old princess silenced her with a look and turned to lead Dark Star back to her throne behind the wall. Once they were out of the younger princess’ sight Dark Star’s form slumped slightly and he began to pant, his chest was tight, his muscles, and his bones ached with centuries old arthritis.

“It must take a lot of energy to keep both the room and my magic sealed, your battle with Shining Armor must have tax your strength greatly.” The princess commented softly seeing Dark Star’s weakened condition, with practiced ease she slowed her pace half a step so he could keep up with her more easily.

“The young buck was more trouble than I thought he would be,” Dark Star groaned mournfully. “If I’d been a hundred years younger that wouldn’t have taken half as long.”

He fixed the rainbow maned princess with a weary glare, “But don’t you worry I’ve still have all the energy I’ll need to finish my mission.” Dark Star’s horn glowed faintly as he looked up towards the sky which as always shone magically through the ceiling of the throne room. “Even now I move the stars into place readying to break the seal.”

“And what of me?” Princess Celestia asked ascending the dais to take her seat on the throne, “Certainly Nightmare Moon doesn’t expect that I will merely sit back and let her do as she pleases.”

“No, but when the seal is broken, and my Queen is set free I will use the ambient energy released to seal you in your beloved sun. You’ll be in no position to stop anypony then.”

A soft pleading look spread across Princess Celestia’s face, “Dark Star a pony in their prime would be greatly taxed by such an undertaking. If you try to do this, it will kill you, please re-”

“Save your pity, Celestia,” Dark Star sat down before the throne too tired to stand and panting even harder than before. “My Queen knew the sacrifice that would have to be made for her return. I am grateful that my final act in this world will be in her service.”

Princess Celestia looked at the ancient stallion who had once been a dear friend of hers, he still was as far as she was concerned her, and tried to think of something she could say to stop what he was about to do, but nothing came to her. She hung her head sadly for a moment wondering if there was truly no words that would dissuade him or if she just dare not think them. After all, if she could dissuade his action then Nightmare Moon would not be freed, and the chance to regain her sister would be lost. She had gambled so much on this night, just for the chance to get her sister back and thought little of the cost, until the cost was the life of a pony. She tried to rationalize it, Dark Star had lived more than ten lifetimes, after all, his time was well past, and this life was not his own.

She remembered the stories of the ancient hermits who kept the knowledge of the attack spells he now wielded, how they suddenly vanished never to be heard from again. It was not hard to imagine what Dark Star might have done with them after their usefulness to him had ended. One for so many that should have made it easier.

In the end, they sat there in silence hers mournful and his accepting, until he spoke his final words looking up at the star-filled sky, “It’s time.” The faint magic of Dark Star’s horn flared brightly enveloping his whole body.

Princess Celestia could feel the seals on her magic, and the room begin to break but did nothing but bowing her head in acceptance. “Dear sister,” She prayed quietly to herself, “You’ve entrusted your subject to grant you freedom... I’ll trust mine to grant you redemption.”

The light of Dark Star’s magic enveloped him completely leaving only a dark silhouette of the ancient stallion which faded to dust as the final spell was cast.

---

“The rest you know, for you were the ones that defeated Nightmare Moon which allowed me to be freed from the sun.” Princess Celestia said calmly finishing the story.

“Shining Armor never told me about any of this; I didn’t even know he’d been hurt.” Twilight Sparkle said deep concern spread across her face as she stared down at the floor.

“That is because I asked him not to,” The sun princess said looking down at her student and Twilight Sparkle’s eyes shot up to her teacher’s. “I wanted everypony to forget about the evil of Nightmare Moon; I did not want my sister associated with such terrible things as forcing Dark Star to do what he had done.”

Despite her reasons, Princess Celestia was still surprised that Shining Armor had not told his beloved sister what had happened, even if a new mare had taken her place in his life. Perhaps he did not want to tempt her to abandon her new life here in Ponyville where she seemed so happy, so that she could fuss over her big brother.

“I don’t get it!” Rainbow Dash protested from her bed as everypony looked over to where she sat forelegs folded and an annoyed look spread across her face, as she was almost glaring at the princess. “If Dark Star was all old and weak and worn out why didn’t you just buck him in the face and stop him right there.”

“Well-” Fluttershy started so quietly that she was unintentionally cut off by Applejack and became very interested in the floor’s tiling.

“Don’t be silly Dash, if the princess ‘ad done that then her sister would still be stuck up on the moon an’ we wouldn’t have been able t’ save her. An’ ah’m sure y’all woulda been crushed not t’ ‘ave the chance t’ git all friendly with the princess like yer were.”

“I wasn’t ‘getting friendly’ with Luna,” Rainbow Dash shot back turning to face the blond mare who was glaring at her accusingly. “B-besides that doesn’t make any sense, the princess couldn’t know we’d be able to help Princess Luna.”

“Well, she sent Twilight to come here and make friends when she found out all that stuff about Nightmare Moon.” Pinkie Pie said with a bouncing suddenly in with her gypsy outfit on holding a crystal ball in one hoof while waving her other over it and peering into it. “Maybe she can see all this happening before it does. Trapped as an eternal observer able to see the course of pony events but powerless to alter them.”

The others, including the princess, stared wide-eyed at Pinkie Pie for several moments before Princess Celestia broke the silence. “I’m afraid I am not quite that powerful Miss Pie. I did send Twilight here because I believe that she and the rest of you had become connected on that fateful day when the Sonic Rainboom split the sky and were the key to saving Luna. However, I truly believed that Dark Star had passed on and had no knowledge of the part he would play in freeing Nightmare Moon.

“However, you are correct, Rainbow Dash, that I could have ended the threat of Nightmare Moon right then, but I couldn’t. Dark Star had been a friend once... Luna’s best friend and also one of my subjects; seeing him so old, frail and still so devoted to his mistress whom just wished to use and thrown him away, I pitied him.” Princess Celestia looked at the somber faces of her subjects reflecting on her words and finally focused on Rainbow Dash. “You may think me weak for such a decision, but it was mine to make, and because of the faith I put in all of you, my sister was returned to me at long last.”

Everypony remained silent bowing their heads in acknowledgment or embarrassment in Rainbow Dash’s case, but this embarrassment was elevated with a reassuring smile from the princess.

“Princess,” Rarity finally broke the several moments of silence. “Forgive my ill time curiosity, but can you and Princess Luna give any pony wings and a horn like... that brute’s”

Princess Celestia looked at Rarity quietly for a moment, unable to decide whether the white unicorn was after something for herself or if it was part of some plan; either way, the answer would be the same. “No,” She answered at last, “It took both my sister and I to conjure the magic to give Star Knight wings, and they were merely magical constructs then. It was not until Nightmare Moon gave him the horn that he was able to transform them into his bat wings.”

“But if the two of you together was just barely able to make wings for him how was Nightmare Moon able to give him a horn by herself,” Spike asked scratching his head.

Princess Celestia sighed and sat back down on the floor. “When my sister turned into Nightmare Moon she gained a tremendous amount of magic from...” the princess paused for a moment realizing that if she took the time to explain the magical formula that governed positive and negative forces within magic the only one who had the knowledge to grasp the concepts would be Twilight Sparkle. “...the evil that ultimately transformed her. She split that power and transformed half of it into his false horn. However, even with only half the power, my sister was still much more powerful than I was without the Elements of Harmony and Dark Star became almost as powerful as my sister and I.”

“Well then there’s nothin’ to worry about,” Rainbow Dash said eagerly, suddenly very supportive of the princess. “If he’s not as powerful as the princess then she’ll be able to deal with him no problem.”

“I’m afraid that’s not quite the case Rainbow,” Twilight Sparkle spoke up stealing the words from Princess Celestia’s tongue. “Magical Energy can’t be created or destroyed it just changes form. If we banished that energy from Nightmare Moon to save Princess Luna, it wouldn’t be destroyed and would be just waiting for somepony who could use it to come along, right princess.”

Princess Celestia smiled sadly, proud of her student’s knowledge though it brought ill news.

“What in tarnation does that mean?” Applejack asked in frustration.

“When Dark Star came back to life he gained all of that dark power,” Princess Celestia explained standing up and pacing several steps. “Most of it was probably what conjured his new body and while he is not a natural unicorn pegasus like my sister and I he has a vast knowledge of magic and his combat training is similarly vast.”

“That’s just great,” Rainbow Dash groaned slumping in her bed.

“What’s more he’s had a thousand years to develop his skill with the forbidden and forgotten ‘attack spell’ magic, a purely destructive magic of great power. As it stands, it is only my own power over the sun and the moon that is keeping him from completing whatever his plan is for Luna.” Princess Celestia shut her eyes trying to push away the feeling that she had and would fail to protect her sister once again.

“He won’t need all that if he can just suppress your magic like he did before,” Fluttershy added quietly.

“That is something I’ve learned to protect myself from,” Princess Celestia answered. Dark Star’s ability to do that had vexed her once, but after some experimentation, she discovered that it was the magic unique to unicorn pegasi that had given him a weakness to exploit in the first place. That was one of the downsides of having so much raw power it often created unknown vulnerabilities.

“But then if he beats you he’ll be able to raise the moon and bring back Nightmare Moon?” Spike asked worryingly looking up at the pony who had been like a mother to him.

Princess Celestia smiled down at the young dragon trying to look reassuring as she placed a hoof gently against his cheek. “Yes my little prince, but I cannot run away nor leave this task to others this time. There is no telling what Dark Star will do if I do not raise the moon this night and I can no more allow my subjects to face his wrath then I can allow them to endure an eternal day because I was afraid to face him.”

Spike took the hoof in his clawed hands and stared at it grimly for a moment; he wanted to cry and shout in protest. He was a dragon, supposedly the most powerful and feared creature in the world and yet he felt worse than useless unable to protect, first Rarity who he loved with all his heart. Then Twilight Sparkle who had been like a sister to him, and now even Princess Celestia who had been the closest thing to a mother he had ever had. He hugged the white pony’s foreleg to his chest tightly, a silent prayer that his grip could keep her safe. Tears spilled from Spike’s eyes as Princess Celestia leaned down and rested her head against the little dragon’s back pulling him into a gentle hug.

The room was quiet as the sun princess released Spike from her embrace, but Spike refused to let go until Rarity stepped behind him. She wrapped her hooves around him gentle and leaned down whispering something unheard by the others to him. Nodding slowly, Spike released his grip on Princess Celestia and turned throwing his arms around the purple maned mare and cried softly into her furry chest.

Princess Celestia stood ready to leave while the other ponies’ hung their heads with a sad reluctance, knowing that they could not argue the wisdom of their ancient matriarch. Only Twilight Sparkle’s eyes shone with opposition unable to accept the thought of abandoning her beloved teacher in the fight to come. She said nothing but her wide eyes shone with determination and thought, there had to be a better way.

“Thank you all; I could not have wished for better or more dedicated subjects then you all have been.” The princess said spreading her wings and summoning up her magic to take her back to Canterlot where she would prepare for the upcoming battle alone.

“Wait!” Twilight Sparkle shouted jumping up to her hooves suddenly reaching out for the departing princess. “Princess wait please I know what to do.” The purple unicorn said drawing all attention to her as a smile spread across her face, “I have a plan.”