• Published 16th Nov 2016
  • 659 Views, 18 Comments

Darkest Star - The1Ryu



Princess Luna has returned from a thousand years absence and after a bit of a rocky start she seemed to be coming into her own. However, a series of mishaps to the ponies around have caused ponies to begin to fear her once more.

  • ...
4
 18
 659

Chapter Fourteen: One's True Battle

Chapter Fourteen
One's True Battle

The temple itself was a thing of nightmares, a twisted black structure of jagged stone and rusted metal. Dozens of windows gave it the appearance of a titanic creature staring down with many eyes. Here and there, placed seeming with no purpose, were gated archways, with their bars broken and twisted out giving them the appearance of frightening yawning mouths.

They entered cautiously with hurried, nervous steps. No song or silliness could dispel the dread of this place. Here the fear was palatable, like water that rose up to their chests. Fluttershy hurried past as the other girls cowered and searched the endless dark corners of the mad place. She paused only when the hall they stood in posed several doors for her to advance through. Looking around at the tangle of doors, concern etched on her face; she finally paused to ask, “Which way do we go?”

Princess Luna remembered the way all too well, her memories of the evil place were ones she had never been able to escape. But before she could answer, the Princess felt a great surge of dread. Black smoke billowed up around them, pouring in through the walls until it surrounded them on all sides. They watched as the smoke swirled in on itself taking dozens of pony-like shapes color the manes and tails of the figures ignited in pyres of blue flame and the transformation into knightmares was complete.

Fluttershy shrieked and almost toppled over as she was descended upon by the knightmares. She hit the floor throwing her forelegs over her head and heard someone call her name. A moment later the hall filled with the sound of hooves, wings, and magic. She peeked out hoping to see that Applejack, Rainbow Dash and Rarity had rushed to her aid. Their Elements glowed softly and, like an instinctual feeling, Fluttershy knew they were enhancing her friends' blows against the knightmares.

A jab of Applejack's left hoof stopped a knightmare in its tracks her hoof finding something solid in the creatures smoke-body. It teetered on its hooves as Applejack's right hoof cracked it on the side of the muzzle. It hit the with a thud its flame going out and its body disintegrating as two more charged in to take its place. Applejack dispatched another with a powerful right hook, but the other closed the gap between them and grabbed at Applejack. Unable to swing that the knightmare with the full force of her hooves Applejack grabbed its head between her hooves and snapped her head forward. Her hat flew off just before her skull smashed against the knightmare's face. The creature fell limp and disappeared like the first. Applejack looked up to see another soaring through the air at her only to be struck by a yellow beam of energy and flung back into the group of knightmares.

Rainbow Dash jumped, a flap of her wings earned her a little extra height and came down on a knightmare a hind hoof kicking its shoulder with such force it flew back several feet into another knightmare. Touching down Rainbow saw another coming in and whipped around slamming her hind leg into the side of its head. The knightmare spun end over end before crashing to the floor.

Four more came at her; she crushed the leader's nose with a snap kick. A second jumped at her, Rainbow, leaped up throwing herself back flipping over and slamming a hoof into the knightmare's jaw. Landing she whipped around swiping a wing at one, its feather was just as distracting as they ran across the knightmare's hollow eyes as they were on any pony and the dream pony hesitated at the perceived blow. The other having seen the pegasus' trick anticipated the same, but a hoof cracked its jaw instead. With a snort, the last recovered and charged Rainbow Dash, who caught its shoulders and fell back. Putting a hoof to the knightmare's stomach, she kicked up with all the power and momentum she had sending the knightmare flying as Rainbow Dash Rolled back onto her hooves. She gave a cocky grin staring down the larger group closing in on her and leaped at them. She hardly noticed the explosion of squeakers and confetti that threw the knightmare back over her and into the others.

"Get away you awful brutes!" Rarity yelled as a knightmare charged in at her. The evil dream pony hesitated confusion somehow playing across its stretched lips and hollow eyes. Rarity turned on the knightmare bucking out with all her strength slamming the knightmare in the chest and sending it flying back. A beam of blue magic shot over Rarity blasting a knightmare leaping at her out of the air. Another reached Rarity grabbing ahold of her shoulder as she turned to face them.

"Let go of me!" Rarity cried, grabbed her attacker's hoof, but rather than wrestling with it, her other hoof shot up and slammed into its knee. There was a crack and pop as the knightmare let out a cry of pain, a cry silenced when Rarity's hoove slammed into its throat. The wounded knightmare staggered back gasping for breath.

A beam of lavender magic struck another knightmare, one of a pair that was rushing in on Rarity. "Don't touch me!" Rarity shouted as this knightmare grabbed ahold of both the mare's shoulder keeping its knees bend and close. Rarity's hooves shot to its head, but rather than grabbing it as Applejack had Rarity slammed her hooves into its ears. The knightmare grip relaxed as it reeled from the blow. Rarity slipped from its grasp and whipped around and bucked the knightmare sending it flying back as well.

“We need to find Dark Star,” Fluttershy called softly to her friends as she stood back up trotting a few steps before remembering she did not know which way to go.

“Wait, Fluttershy, there’s too many of them. We need to regroup and drive them back before we try to go any deeper.” Twilight Sparkle called out, blasting another knightmare out of the air as it leaped at Fluttershy.

“No Fluttershy is correct,” Princess Luna shouted back over the sound of battle. She unleashed a sizable buildup of magic creating a massive sphere of shadowy wisps, like fire, which spread quickly through the room and seized several knightmares, vanishing with them. “If the barrier is being brought down then the Nightmare King will be able to create a nearly endless supply of minions. We need to find Dark Star as quickly as possible!”

“Please hurry,” Fluttershy pleaded trotting in place nervously.

“This way,” Princess Luna said flying over her head to guide them. Remembering her wings, Fluttershy took to the air following the night princess closely. A knightmare leaped at her, but Fluttershy just banked sharply around her assailant with a prowess that caused Rainbow Dash to pause and let an impressed smile tug at her lips.

Applejack charged ahead after them swinging a hoof out at a Knightmare that got too close sending it staggering back but didn't pause to finish it. Rarity followed in much the same manner and Rainbow Dash soared just over them dropping left or right to send a particularly insistent knightmare flying back. Twilight and Celestia brought up the rear blasting knightmares back with rays of magic from their horns.

Princess Luna led them through the dizzying labyrinth of the tower. It was as if the layout had been designed by a mad pony and could only be navigated by them or one who already knew the route. However, at times it seemed as if Fluttershy needed no help navigating the labyrinth. She would rush down the right path before the Princess could point it out and even once when Princess Luna paused uncertainly at an intersection. Fluttershy was like a pony possessed, rushing through nightmarish halls that should have left her paralyzed with fear as if they were nothing more than the meadow outside her home.

Soon the ponies found themselves racing up along a curled flight of crumbling stone stairs suspended in a dark void; no visible structure supported the stairs below or above. Eventually, the stairs ended at a massive set of doors made of jagged dark, sickly green gems and bulbous sickly colored crystal.

Even Fluttershy paused at the army of knightmares that stood before the grotesque door. Princess Celestia and Luna raced overhead, their horns glowing brightly with magic and with a united flick of their horns they threw nearly invisible specs of light into the center of the knightmare hoard. They exploded into twin globes of golden and silvery light that in an instant banished all the knightmares back from whence they came.

Fluttershy rushed to the door panting, “Dark Star,” under her breath as she reared up to push open the doors, but they did not move.

“Come on open up please,” She begged frantically pushing on the door, but the remained shut tight. “No you have to open, you have to! Dark Star, Dark Star!” She cried out beating her hooves against the door not noticing as the sharp gems cut her legs and chipped her hooves.

“Fluttershy! Darling stop that you are hurting yourself.” Rarity cried out, but Fluttershy just kept beating on the door.

“Whoa, there sugarcube,” Applejack said grabbing the frantic mare and pinning her hooves at her side. “Y'all need to calm down.”

“But Dark Star…” Fluttershy sobbed in frustration.

“We will save our wayward friend, but thy must be calm, or thou will be of no help.” Princess Luna warned with a mixed calm and stern tone as she rested her head over Fluttershy’s.

Fluttershy leaned into the crook of the princess’ neck and worked to steady her breathing. “You’re right, I’m sorry. It’ll be all right, but we have to hurry.”

Applejack released Fluttershy, and the pegasus stood calmly on her own, wincing when her injured hooves touched the black marble floor. She took to the air instead, flapping her wings and holding her forehooves to her chest protectively.

“We will, but I’m afraid no amount of strength will force open that door.” Princess Celestia stepped up to Fluttershy. “That door is nothing more than an illusion, a false image of what is actually a demi-plane between our world and the world of nightmares. Only someone with the right key can open it.”

“But who-” Twilight began to ask.

“Me,” Princess Luna stepped forward her horn aglow. The others nodded collectively; it would make sense that the Guardian of Dreams would be the one able to enter a place between the real world and the realm of nightmares. That was undoubtedly the reason she had been able to gain access to this forbidden place so long ago. Concentrating Princess Luna reached out with her magic, touched the horrific door, grabbed hold of the mystic locks and twisted them out of place.

The doors moaned under their weight and cried out in a protest of high pitched scraping as they moved to open. Suddenly the ponies were enveloped in darkness and drawn forth into the door against their will, the door not allowing them into the demi-plane but forcing them in. When the darkness receded from their eyes they found that they were standing in an immense circular chamber, its ceiling, if it had one, so high that it was just a dark void. Despite there not being a single source of light in the room everyone could see as if light and dark were just abstract concepts in this place. What they did see caused them all to quiver noticeably.

In the center of the massive chamber was a large stone seal covered in arcane runes. It was cracked down its center and from it poured sickly green smoke and above it swirled a massive black twister that seemed to stare down at the ponies. Before the twister Dark Star hung limply in the air, eyes empty.

“Dark Star!” Fluttershy beat her wing fiercely climbing through the air towards him only to be cut off my Princess Luna who swooped in front for her.

“Wait, Fluttershy, Dark Star is not alone in this place.” Princess Luna warned and stared deep into the black vortex that dominated the chamber.

“If it isn’t my old friend Luna,” A deep haunting voice issued forth from the vortex. “I must say that I am pleased with your work. Twice you have brought such delicious horror to your ponies, and now you have delivered to me a heart so well cultivated for the darkness that it is an even better match for me than you could have ever been. Who would have thought that frightened little colt who broke my seal and the righteous stallion who helped you seal it again would have such a dark potential within him.” The voice let out a deep laugh.

“Go stand with the others,” Princess Luna said nudging Fluttershy away. She hesitated for a moment staring up at Dark Star, but relented and flew back to her friends’ side.

Princess Luna turned back to the vortex and then to Dark Star giving him a pained look. Princess Celestia joined her a moment later giving her a nod and glaring at the vortex; Princess Luna’s glared joined her sister’s. “I will take responsibility for what I have done to my ponies and to Dark Star, but I will not let thou have him! You fell to Star Knight and me alone all those years ago you are but a minor obstacle to our true goal today.”

As one the elements activated and their six bearers rose into the air. From each element came a ribbon of color that swirled around them becoming a rainbow light. It poured forth from their rainbow cyclone and enveloped Dark Star.

“The Elements of Harmony,” the Nightmare King hissed, shaking the chamber. The hiss became chuckle, “You seek to purify his black heart? Ha, he has already felt their touch, yet darkness still rules him. You seek a fool's errand.”

“The Elements will not fight this battle alone,” Princess Celestia’s regal voice cried out her horn blazing with golden magic.

“Thy will take no more from us,” Princess Luna horn mimicked her sister’s in a silvery light. They brought their horns together unleashing a brilliant wave of light that enveloped the Nightmare King causing him to cry out in rage.

“You struggle and fight, but you cannot possibly hope to stop me! You are the ones that made all of this possible! Your kind created the gateway, you broke the seal they placed to keep me out, and you fashioned the perfect vessel for my power. Now you struggle to undo all that you have created; such indecisive creatures have no hope of stopping me! For millennia I have been made to wait, I accept any further resistance!” The Nightmare King roared, his voice no longer calm, now it was so savage the room shook, as it rippled through it.

“Thou are correct this was my doing,” Princess Luna spoke without allow her pain to taint the words with uncertainty. “But we will stop thou with the aid of our most loyal friend, Star Knight!” She cried out to Dark Star, and the light began to return to his eyes, “Star Knight I beg thee to return to me!”

“Star Knight the princess needs you to come back to her,” Twilight Sparkle cried out floating within the element’s vortex the other’s eyes all on him as well, even Fluttershy’s pain filled blue eyes.

“Please find your way back to us Star Knight!” Princess Celestia’s voice joined the others.

As if waking Dark Star found himself slowly becoming conscious of his surroundings once more. Before him, the Nightmare King’s vortex swirled its inky blackness threatening to consume everything it touched, but now it was sheathed in an aura of brilliant white magic that felt very familiar.

Then the voices reached his ears; they sounded like faint echoes of ponies he could not quite recognize. He turned seeking their source, he could not quite make out what they said, but saw the shapes of six ponies floating off the ground and two larger ponies hovering in the air, but who were they.

“They are no one; they are nothing, shadows, and lies, nothing more. Ignore them, come, fulfill your purpose and join with me.” The voice of the Nightmare King spoke within Dark Star’s mind.

Dark Star looked back to his king; he wanted to believe those words. He had come to the Nightmare King to serve him because he had nothing left in the world of ponies. So what then was now pulling him so strongly from the service of his king? Still, Dark Star couldn't help turning back again and strained to see the ponies clearly and hear what they were saying.

“I will not deny you if you wish to know so badly,” Suddenly the voices assaulted Dark Star’s ears in distorted tones crying out for Star Knight. Flinging his head back and forth in agony Dark Star forced himself to look down at the hovering shapes. It sounded as if their voices coming out the clearest, and forcing himself to think through the pain he recognized the princesses and the familiar magic that was holding his master at bay.

Further down, almost on the ground, he focused on the six figures, they must have been the Elements of Harmony. Yes, he remembered their power too now through the pain. It was what was enveloping him, pulling him away from his master, trying to take him back.

“It is not you whom they are trying to take back, listen. It is Star Knight whom they call to. Star Knight whom they cast aside when he was no longer of any use. Is it really him they want back or is it that they simply fear you? They know that Dark Star has the power to dethrone them, to destroy them. How could they ever love someone they so feared.” The Nightmare King's voice whispered in Dark Star's mind, and Dark Star’s eyes became hard and filled with rage.

“No Star Knight, that is not but lies!” A single voice called over the tangle of others, Princess Luna’s voice. Though they all could hear the Nightmare King's lies, she alone was able to pierce the veil of her nemesis' dark magic which he used to twist the truth. “Thou are my most dear friend; I am sorry for all that has happened to you, tis all my fault. Thy need not forgive me for what I hath done, but please return to thy true self.”

“But this is your true self is it not Dark Star, even the Elements of Harmony could not steal your true identity, this is who you’re meant to be.”

“No! Thou are wrong, Star Knight’s heart is so true that even our taint cannot take him completely. Star Knight do not let this evil control you, come back to the light.”

“The light rejected you! You are of the dark, you have always been of the dark. Always shied from the light. That was how she found you and brought you to me; this was always your fate.”

“Your fate was to be a good, heroic stallion Star Knight! That was stolen from thou, and thy must reclaim thy good and honorable mantle. Thou should stand against evil as thou was always meant to.”

“Dark Star!”

“Star Knight!”

Dark Star snapped his head back and forth listening to his masters call out for him to follow them and there was no hesitation to follow either of them. But as they continued to cry out over him, Dark Star threw his hooves over his ears in a futile attempt to block out the voices in his head. When that failed to give him any relief he cried out long and loudly in anguish hoping his voice could somehow defend against the foreign ones, but to no avail.

More voices joined the Princess’ as if Harmony’s seven mare chorus was singing into this right ear while the booming destructive voice of the Nightmare King raged into his left. They continued to yell until both became distorted indiscernible noise, then suddenly the hold of the Elements of Harmony went slack and released him.

The non-pegasi bearers dropped to the floor all landing on their hooves, except Pinkie Pie who bounced on her flanks before jumping to her hooves. Looking down they saw that their Elements still glowed with power as if they still were trying to activate, but something had broken their connection.

“STOP IT!” A pain filled voice cried out, and everyone turned to see Fluttershy flying up to Dark Star again, her element dark and inactive. Tears poured from her soft, sad blue eyes and it was clear from how bloodshot they were that she had been crying for some time.

“Fluttershy come back we need the Elements of Harmony to-”

“No!” Fluttershy snapped, cutting Twilight off, shaking her head wildly. “I can’t keep hurting Dark Star, I-”

Fluttershy too was cut off as the princesses gave a sudden gasp as with a growl a wave of dark energy pulsed out from the vortex shattering their spell. The dark energy spread out like a wave and slammed into Fluttershy flinging her back toward the ground. She gave a small scream and was suddenly saved mid-air by Rainbow Dash who swooped up and caught her.

“Thank you for your concern, my dear,” the Nightmare King’s voice, thick with amusement, sounded through the chamber as his dark essence seeped from the vortex and began to curl around Dark Star. “I’ll take good care of your friend.”

As the dark tendrils curled around him, Dark Star’s eyes began to grow black and vacant once more, and he slowly turned to face the Nightmare King’s vortex once more.

“No Dark Star please!” Fluttershy cried up to the black stallion, “Please you don’t have to be what other ponies want you to be!”

Dark Star jolted to a stop at those words and Fluttershy flew from Rainbow Dash’s grip. “You’ve done it so many times; it must seem like it’s what you are meant to do. Starlight became Star Knight because Princess Luna wanted a brave knight to go adventuring with her.” Princess Luna flinched at Fluttershy’s words, “And then you changed again to become Nightmare Moon’s champion. Now the Nightmare King wants you to give up everything to be his vessel, and the princesses want you to go back to being Star Knight, the good pony they remember, but you don’t have to change!

“I know it’s easier to let yourself get pulled along by others and do what they want you to, but you can just stay the way you are. You can stay my dearest friend, who showed me all the wonderful things about vampire bats.” A smile came to Fluttershy’s lips remembering their time together. “Who showed me so much kindness, even though I was just being troublesome, and who protected me. Please Dark Star, don't change just for them, please.”

Fluttershy’s small smile faded as she watched Dark Star continue to hang still in the air half turned towards the Nightmare King’s vortex his eyes distant.

A chuckle erupted from the vortex, “Very touching my dear, but as you can see your words are wasted on a dark soul such as his. Come, Dark Star with our combined power we will destroy these fools and conquer this world.”

“No,” Came Dark Star’s sharp response. He turned his back to the Nightmare King and glided down to Fluttershy his eyes calm and clear. The fear gripping at the others’ hearts released as he flew into her embrace her hooves wrapping around his neck.

“What?” The Nightmare King cried out in rage. "You dare turn your back to me? You swore your fealty to me, and I revealed your purpose, showed you the meaning of your pointless existence! My freedom will not be delayed again!

Dark Star ignored the disembodied voice, pulling back from their embrace he took Fluttershy’s bloody hooves in his. “You’re hurt,” he spoke softly looking over her injuries, “It’s my fault. I’m sorry I should have never abandoned you like that.”

“Don’t you ignore me colt!” The Nightmare King shouted unleashing a pulse of dark energy at the two ponies.

In an instant Dark Star whipped around and threw his wings out wide to protect Fluttershy. His dark magic aura enveloped his horn, and with a flick of his head, the pulse slammed harmlessly into an invisible wall. “Why should I listen to a parasite?”

The air around them began to vibrate and the sickly green light pouring from the seal turned red. “Insolent whelp, you will know suffering like no other! All of you will die here, and suffer in ways your deepest nightmares could not fathom!”

The ponies’ manes began to toss wildly in a hot wind, and the Nightmare King roared in a bestial rage. Dark Star seized Fluttershy, who saw fear play through his eyes for the first time; he looked into her eyes seeing this fear reflected back upon him and tried to give her a reassuring smile as he led her down to the others. “It’ll be ok, I promise.”

“With his rage burning out of control like this he might end up destroying himself just to destroy us!” Princess Celestia cried out to her sister over the Nightmare King’s howling.

“We are in agreement sister; we must escape quickly and try to seal the door behind us!” Princess Luna replied as they tried to shield the others with their wings.

“If he survives that won’t hold him long!” Twilight Sparkle cried out in protest. As the lord of an entire plane of existence the Nightmare King was a being of almost pure magic and as such, what he could not do with a calm reasoning mind would become possible in a blind rage

“Do you have a better idea darling?” Rarity shot back, clinging protectively to her mane. Twilight gave her a sheepish look and shook her head.

Joining the others on the ground Fluttershy withdrew her hooves from around Dark Star and stood on her own despite the pain in her injured hooves. Even Rainbow Dash returned to the ground no longer able to fly with the surging wind cutting through the air. Dark Star threw his bat wings protectively over Fluttershy while turning a critical eye back at the Nightmare King's vortex which had swelled to double its size growing to consume them.

The choice made Princess Luna lifted her horn into the air, setting it aglow with her silvery magic and closing her eyes in deep concentration. With her mind’s eye she sought the doorway, invisible on this side, and when she found it, poured her magic into it forcing the lock open. The mystical portal did not envelop and suck them in like it had the first time. Instead, each pony vanished in a flash of silvery light and appeared back in the temple facing the evil looking crystal door. Only now it shuttered and began to slowly crack in several places.

“Quickly Twilight, Dark Star help us seal it,” Princess Celestia commanded stepping towards the massive door her horn glowing with her golden aura. Princess Luna shook her head, unable to take the proper time to recover from the huge expenditure of magic, and stepped next to her sister her horn still aglow. Twilight Sparkle rushed over to join her mentor, her horn shedding the lavender light of its magic. Dark Star nodded curtly and took to hover in the air over them, his blade-like horn flaring to life with its dark aura.

All four unicorns closed their eyes and concentrated weaving their magic into the magic of the door. Dark Star, attuned with the evil energy of the door aggressively laced his magic around the seams of the door binding them shut. Princess Luna, attuned with the dream energy laced through the door, weaved good dreams within the nightmare door strengthening and reinforcing it.

Princess Celestia, who had no connection to the dark dream energy of the door, instead conjured a massive seal of pure sunlight that would hopefully drive back any creature of the night who approached the door from either side. Twilight Sparkle’s magic was a natural bridge between the princesses’ magic, and so she used her magic to set the seal in place on the door assuring that none could easily bypass it.

As the last of their magic was set into place the four released their concentration, and a pair of sighs eased from the princesses’ lips. Twilight looked up to her mentor, unable to rest at ease until Princess Celestia assured her everything was alright. Feeling her student’s worried eyes on her Princess Celestia looked down at Twilight and gave a soft reassuring smile, which allowed her to release a deep sigh and slump to the ground.

Suddenly the whole building began to shake nearly knocking down the ponies still standing on the ground. All eyes snapped to the door, which held strong in place, but any reassurance this might have given the ponies was dispelled as the walls, ceiling, and floor around the door began to split and disgorge a sickly green light.

“Get back!” Princess Celestia cried out, as suddenly all around the door the temple shattered like glass. A massive black talon, seemingly made of smoke, crashed through the walls, ceiling, and floor and grabbed the door as if it were a bit and yanked it back into a swirling void that now hung under the edges of the broken temple.

At the center of the void was a dark humanoid shape that appeared tiny in the immeasurable distance. The black smoke of its body billowed up from within its chest and swirled over its body releasing an aura of ash the flowed out into the void. Green fire raged in its belly, the sickly light only occasionally slipping past the billowing smoke of its body, but the same flame roared in its eyes.

“It tore through the dimensions,” Twilight gasped staring at the creature in numbed awe. The creature let out a bestial roar, the green flames dancing in its mouth, and it reached for the ponies. The Princesses and Dark Star glared angrily at the beast quickly calculating just how long a shield spell might stand up against the attack.

"Is that what he really looks like?" Applejack wondered aloud to no one in particular, staring at the massive nightmare.

"Granny Pie said one pony's nightmare is another pony's adventure." Pinkie Pie answered, but despite the seeming non-relevance, her voice lacked the usual mirth. Applejack looked over at her pink friend who stared out at the nightmare beast as well her expression matching her flat serious tone.

Another of the creature’s roars snapped Twilight Sparkle from her daze, with a jump to her hooves she whipped around to the others. “Girls the Elements!” The others nodded and calmed themselves with a breath, closing their eyes to concentrate and block out the sight of the terrible creature whose talon was growing bigger by the moment.

As the creature’s hand reached the dimensional tear three shields of energy rose up around it, silver, black, and gold.

The energy of the elements flowed into their bearers, and the six mares rose off the ground.

The tips of the nightmare creature’s talon crashed through the golden shield only somewhat slowing. Princess Celestia gasped as a terrible pain ripped through her body, and she collapsed to her knees.

Rainbow ribbons flowed from either side of each of the elements connecting with their sisters and melding their power together.

The talon met the black shield, and Dark Star dropped from the air gritting his teeth painfully and letting out a snarling groan as he poured more of his magic into his shield. The smoky talon clutched at the edges of the black shield and, squeezing it; it shattered without warning. Dark Star cried out in pain, staggering on three hooves to remain standing as he clutched at his head with the other.

The rainbow ribbons began swirling all around the mares building up a brilliant light that shone brighter and brighter until only six vague floating silhouettes could be seen.

Princess Luna let out a long groan as the smoky talon touched her silvery shield and her body began to buckle as if the tremendous weight of the nightmare creature had been put directly onto her back. Steeling herself against the force of the creature’s power Princess Luna pushed herself to stand up tall and pour all of her magic into the shield. Despite this cracks spread like spider webs across her shield from where the tips of the smoky black talon touched her shield.

The silvery shield shattered as the beam of rainbow light smashed through it and cut into the Nightmare King’s talon. Princess Luna gasped at the loss of her barrier, and she fell to the ground but forced her head up to see the rainbow light cut through the talon. With a smile, she relaxed and let herself slump to the ground as the nightmare creature’s angry, pain filled roar filled the air.

The Elements of Harmony ran up the creature’s arm blasting away the ash and smoke like a gust of wind. When it reached the creature’s body it swirled around it and enveloped it, the creature howled and clawed at the rainbow light with its remaining talon. This attempt proved futile as the talon proved just as flimsy as the other against the elements and was blown away. Dark Star and the Princesses watched as the creature gave a last howl of pain before it was swallowed by the rainbow cyclone of the Elements which spun on more and more.

“Something’s wrong,” Princess Celestia said with a worried frown. Dark Star and Princess Luna saw it too, the whirling cyclone should have been speeding up, building energy to seal or blast the creature away completely, but instead, they were growing slower.

Looking back to the bearers, who should have been enveloped by a blinding yet soothing light, they instead saw that the light was dimming rapidly. Then with a brilliant flash, the light was gone and the rainbow beam vanished, pulling itself apart like weakly woven fabric. The girls found themselves once more in the air without magic to keep them aloft, and fell to the ground with even less grace than before, save for Rainbow Dash who caught herself with her wings and Fluttershy who found herself held in Dark Star’s hooves.

She smiled sheepishly as he landed and set her back on her hooves, but he did not seem to notice her smile as his eyes were locked on the center of the void and the inferno of green flames that billowed there.

“Hey what gives?” Rainbow Dash held up her Element which both crystal and gold had lost their shine. Applejack, who had once again managed to land safely on her hooves, looked down to see her element similarly dull. Rarity paused in groaning about her aching backside and saw that her element was also drained of color. Meanwhile, Pinkie Pie, who had bounced up to her hooves, twisted her head around at an impossible angle to see hers was as dim as the others.

Twilight Sparkle picked herself up and quickly seized her element with her magic and brought it down to inspect it. A deep frown spread across her face, “I don’t understand it’s like-”

“The Elements have run out of power,” Princess Celestia solemnly finished her student’s thought as she approached her. “I had believed it was possible, but there’s no denying it now.”

“No,” Twilight Sparkle shook her head in denial, “It’s us. We’re the ones who-”

“Activate them,” Princess Luna cut in stepping next to her sister and placing a wing over her shoulder. “But the Elements power is limited. Since my return, they have poured so much energy into myself, Discord and Dark Star that it will take some time for the Elements power to replenish.” The lunar princess looked back into the void watching the black smoke billow around the green inferno, “Too much time.”

“No!” Applejack bucked out angrily; she was not willing to let the others fall into despair. “There must be somethin’ we can do! The Elements can’t let us down now; there’s got to be somma that power left somewhere! Come on y'all we just gotta find it.”

“There is,” Dark Star’s voice cut through the air like a sword causing everyone to jump slightly and turn towards him, save for Fluttershy whose eyes had never left him. “All the energy you used to try and change me is still within me wrestling with the darkness. More than has ever been brought to bear against anyone else.”

Dark Star turned to face them, un-restraining his aura so Twilight and the Princesses could sense it, the brilliant harmony of the elements wrestled with the black chaos all across his aura.

A smile spread across Twilight Sparkle’s face sensing the power of the Elements; she took no note of the Princesses and Dark Star’s continued scowl. She trotted over to the black stallion eagerly, a plan forming in her mind as she paced back and forth. “This is great, maybe if Dark Star takes position in the center of the circle, he can release the energy, and we might be able to focus it through the Elements.”

“No.”

Twilight Sparkle spun back around to face him a questioning look on her face.

“You would have realized all too soon that kind of energy transfer would take more time than we have. Don’t allow misguided hope to cloud your judgment Miss Sparkle.” Dark Star spoke sharply, and Twilight’s face fell sadly.

“But then how are we to fight that thing,” Rarity said stepping up next to Fluttershy whose fearful eyes Dark Star would not meet.

Dark Star gave a thoughtful sigh, turned his back to them and stared once more into the void. “You all should get out of here; there’s nothing more you can do.”

“No!” Fluttershy cried rushing around to stand between Dark Star and the void. “We’re not leaving you behind,” She tried to shout but her breath caught in her chest and it came out as a whisper as tears began to fill her blue eyes. “We can run together, find somewhere safe to hide; we’ll survive together.”

“And what of the animals?” Dark Star responded coldly still not able to meet her gaze. “With luck, the creature rage will consume it before it crosses the borders of the Everfree Forest, but all those who live within will have no chance.”

Fluttershy sobbed at the thought of the forest burning in green flames, the image assaulting her blurry vision. She shook her head wildly and buried her face into Dark Star’s chest forcing herself to say, “I don’t care! I don’t care! I…” She said it over and over again as if begging the words to become true.

She let a startled gasp, and the words died as Dark Star placed a hoof around her neck and clutched her in a hug. “I know,” he reassured with a soft, hushed tone, she had no way to see the glow of his horn.

Her sleeping form slumped into his hooves, and he caught her, beating his wings softly he lifted them into the air and flapped gently over to Applejack placing Fluttershy’s sleeping form upon her back. He looked down into her peaceful sleeping face one last time and before tearing his eyes from her and started towards the void. “Take her and get out of here, there isn’t much time.”

The others nodded solemnly and moved to leave, only Rarity hesitating. “Do… do you have anything you want us to tell her?” The other’s stopped and turned back to look at the lone stallion who paused, hovering before the void.

Dark Star looked back, not quite able to look at the sleeping mare, “Tell her I...” His breath caught in his throat and he turned away swallowing hard. “Thought she was an amazing pony. Better than me in every way.”

With several strong beats of his wings, Dark Star propelled himself into the void. Sailing through the void with his wings outstretched, once beyond the edge of the waking world he no longer had to work to keep himself aloft, there was no longer wind or gravity in this place to hinder or aid his flight. There was not even air in this place, but the lack of such a vital element was not a concern for a prepared unicorn of Dark Star’s skill.

Billowing black ash and smoke had once more obscured the inferno of green flames and formed taloned arms that reached slowly for the stallion. It had a head again and green burning eyes that glared hatefully at Dark Star.

“Yes, that’s it. Leap to your destruction; there is no escape.” The Nightmare King spoke in Dark Star’s mind. The creature no longer had the intelligence to taunt him, but a speck of the king’s power and mind still resided within Dark Star, mingling with the darkness of his aura.

“You know that no matter what light you bring to bear against me it will be eclipsed.” Dark Star paid the voice little heed, closing his eyes he remembered Fluttershy and her bright, soft smile that filled him with joy and chased away his fears. "And even if you survive, without the light, the darkness will consume you again."

“Perhaps,” Dark Star answered opening his eyes, “But if the light is not enough, then I’ll bring the darkness to bear as well.”

Reaching up to his chest Dark Star horn glowed and his hooves sank into his chest. They sank in deeply and with a growl of determination Dark Star seized the opposing forces that warred over his soul. With a long groan of pain, he began to pull them forth. He gasped and choked at the terrible pain as they both hooked into him trying to stop him from tearing them away. He strained, gritting his teeth savagely until he tasted copper, and with a cry of pain ripped them from his breast.

In one hoof Dark Star held the dancing rainbow light of the Elements and in the other, the swirling pitch blackness that was Nightmare Moon’s, his own and the Nightmare King’s power. The both energies reached out from his hooves, the rainbow light arching up aggressively to attack the nightmare creature and the blackness whipping out to seize and consume it. Dark Star held them tightly denying their desires; they were still his tools.

The creature howled in fear, green flames dancing in its mouth, and some part of its primitive mind recognized the danger of the thing flying towards it. It swung at Dark Star with its other arm, but his magic pushed him forward faster than the nightmare creature could react.

Dark Star dived into the creature, into the inferno of its belly. He cried out as the flames licked across his body to terrible for even his magic to protect him from completely. Even as he burned, he held the opposing forces of light and darkness in his hooves. With a final cry to his dearest friend, he forced the light and darkness together.

---

“No!” Fluttershy softly cried out as she started awake.

“Easy there girl,” Applejack soothed calmly letting Fluttershy climb down from her back.

Fluttershy stood shaking on the ground as the last remnants of her dream left her mind, refusing to recall the images she had just seen. The dream gone her mind found the final memories before the embrace of sleep took her. “Dark Star,” She gasped turning to the others, “Where’s Dark Star?”

The panic in her chest only tightened as she searched the downcast faces of the other ponies and saw no sign of her dark friend. She began rushing back and forth looking for any sign of his presence.

“Fluttershy,” The yellow mare whirled around as Princess Celestia’s motherly voice calmly cut through the air. The Princess’ eyes were soft and sympathetic, but they lost Fluttershy’s attention instantly once her blue eyes fell upon the nightmarish temple that lay behind the princess. “You must remain calm.”

Fluttershy did not hear the princess’ words as she rushed past her and charged at towards the temple.

“Fluttershy, wait!” Rainbow Dash raced through the air and landed in front of her old friend grabbing hold of her. “You can’t go in there!”

“Let me go Rainbow Dash; I have to find Dark Star!” Fluttershy pleaded softly, struggling to escape her friend’s grasp.

“You can’t go back in there darling it’s far too dangerous,” Rarity tried to reason, rushing over to help Rainbow Dash hold their panicked friend back. “We have to trust in your Dark Star to be strong.”

“He’s not what you think he is,” Fluttershy cried softly struggling with renewed desperation and sobbing. “He’s scared and lonely just like I was and I promised… I promised I wouldn’t leave him, that I would stay with him as long-”

Fluttershy’s word’s caught in her throat as beams of light and darkness spilled forth from the temple in brilliant and muted flashes. More and more burst forth filling the air all around them and the temple, sheathing it in black light. Then it was gone, both the light and the building, not a single stone of the once horrific temple remained.

Fluttershy’s watery eyes stared wide at the empty depression where the temple had stood a moment ago. Her eyes brimmed with fresh tears and she cried out, “Dark Star!”