• Published 16th Nov 2016
  • 2,736 Views, 23 Comments

Demonic Ascension - timemaster40



As a young man turned demonic woman makes her way through the pre-Equestria era, what will she do? Who will she meet? Will she succumb to the instincts inherent in her new form or will she evolve beyond them? Only time can tell.

  • ...
2
 23
 2,736

A Human’s Last Party

Ugh, how did my friends convince me to come to a costume party? I hate dressing up and yet somehow they convinced me to do it. Still I can put up with a little annoyance as long as I can get some free food. It’s too bad I wasn’t able to find a black cloak or a faceless mask for this thing. All I found in the bargain bin was this red and black cloak I'm wearing.

Still I can claim that I’m a mage at least. It’s just too bad that I didn’t find any cheap staffs that I could use to finish the costume. Meh, I don’t really care. Right now I’m more interested in watching everyone else party. Maybe I should just head home? Oh right, I have to be the designated driver for my stupid friends. Sigh, all the food in the world isn’t enough for me now. Well I guess it’s time to pull out my phone and surf the web.

“Hey there! What are you up to?” A preppy female voice distracts me from paying attention to my phone’s screen. Looking up I see a young woman wearing a Bulma costume. And while the hair would have given me a clue the fact the costume has Bulma’s name on the pink short dress just clinches it.

“I’m being bored.” I tell her before going back to looking at my phone.

“How can you be bored here? It’s so lively!” Ugh, I don’t want to talk to anyone right now. I’d hoped that going back to looking at my phone would make her leave but I guess not considering she's just hovering right at the edge of my vision. Sigh, I guess I have to answer her.

“I don’t like parties like this. They’re not my thing.” I don’t really like any big party but saying that out loud will just make her begin to espouse the benefits of parties. Or she’ll just annoy me all night trying to get me active. Either way I wouldn’t like it.

“Don’t be such a kill joy. Besides, how can you not like parties? Parties are fun. So, what are you dressed up as?” What is with this girl? One second she’s complaining about me not liking parties and the next she’s trying to figure out what I’m wearing.

“I’m a mage.” I say with a bit of annoyance present in my voice. Please take the subtle clue and leave. Please.

“What type of mage doesn’t have a staff?” That’s what she cares about when it comes to my costume? Not the fact it’s pretty obvious that I bought it last minute. Or how anyone can tell I don’t care about it or being here.

“I couldn’t find any when I was shopping for my costume.” Of course, I bought this costume last minute so it’s no wonder I couldn’t find anything. I also didn’t look very hard since I only went to one place.

“Couldn’t you have just picked up a big stick or something? Or you could have used a baseball bat!”

“I don’t live near any trees that have sticks that are large enough. And I don’t have any baseball bats at home.” Well there is that aluminum bat. Or did I donate it years ago? I honestly don’t remember. As for sticks, well the only long ones around my place are palm fronds and making that into a staff would be to annoying to attempt.

“Well couldn’t you have used a small stick and said it was a wand?” Please leave. I'm trying to get you to leave by glaring at you but it's not working.

“I didn’t really care enough to go through the effort of making something. Even something as simple as a wand out of a stick.”

“How could you not care about your costume like that?” She actually sounds scandalized about that while she continues to smile at me. Heh, that's hilarious.

“I don’t like dressing up.” I deadpan at her. Though even then she doesn’t stop smiling.

“Aww. Well even though you’re boring, today’s your lucky day! My friend was going to dress up as a mage as well but he wasn’t able to come tonight.”

“So?” I ask as sarcastically as I can.

“So…he left his staff at my place yesterday and I brought it with me before I found out he wasn’t going to be here. I have it in my car right now if you want it.”

“You’re just giving it to me?”

“Sure! I don’t have any use for it and you can use it to finish up your costume. It may even get you into the spirit of things.”

“Well, if you really want to give it to me I guess I could accept it. But will you want it back at the end of the night? I’d feel bad about taking it from your friend without his permission.”

I guess accepting this will hopefully get this girl off my back so I can go back to doing nothing. Well unless she wants to dance with me after this. Who knows, she may be more interesting than her preppy personality shows. She is wearing a young Bulma costume so she probably at least knows about Dragon Ball. Hmm, this could actually be fun.

“Don’t worry about it! We’ll deal with that later.” As she says she smiles wider before she begins heading towards the door and beckoning me to follow her outside.

Sigh, I did agree to this and I guess I could get a dance out of this. So with some reluctance I get up and follow her outside. As I step over a passed out partier, and really someone should bring him inside and put him on a couch or something, I then make my way down the uneven driveway. And by the time I make it to her new looking car, and I can’t make out a make or model but I’ve never been good at that, she’s already rummaging around in the backseat of her car which is covered in junk. And I can tell that even from my position behind her while standing in the dark.

Still she eventually finds what she’s looking for since she pulls out a long staff from the backseat. Actually, I’m surprised that fit back there with all the junk. But that’s not the only strange thing I notice. The staff itself doesn’t really look like something that I’d consider a magic user using. It doesn’t have any gems wither on the tip or embedded in the staff. It also doesn’t have any runes carved on it. Actually, the only magical ornaments I can see are the tips which look like they’re made of gold. And they’re pointed for some reason.

Though as she hands it to me I can get a better look at the staff and besides the gold pointed tips the staff looks like it’s made of wood. But as I take it out of her hands I’m surprised by how heavy it is. In fact, I think there’s actually a metal core inside the wooden shaft. Huh, what type of mage would use a staff like this? Still, this is way beyond what I expected.

“I can’t accept this.” I tell her while holding the staff out to potentially hand it back to her. This thing must have cost a lot of money and there’s no way I can take it. Especially without a way to give it back after the night is over.

“Sure you can! It’s more useful to you than it is to me. Now let’s get back to the party and have some fun!” As she says that she immediately locks her car and rushes back to the party.

And she left without me. Sigh, I guess I’m not going to be able to talk to her about this staff yet. Ugh, I don’t like this. This staff is way too expensive to just give out to a random person she just met. Plus, it’s not ever her staff. I guess I can just keep a close eye on her tonight and if she looks like she’s going to leave early I can just give it to her. Or if I can convince my friends to leave early I can give it to her before I go.

Yeah, that’s a good plan. Now I just need to make it back to the party, so I begin the trek back to the front door. Why is this driveway so dark anyway? Meh, I’ll be fine. I have pretty good balance. And even though it’s dark it’s not that dark. Unfortunately, I don’t notice a slight crack in the driveway as I head back up to the house. A crack that has pushed up enough of the driveway for me to trip on.

“Shit!” I scream as I begin to fall.

Though as I try to stop my fall I run into a big problem. Mainly that I didn’t account for my new staff. And because of that I slam hard into the pavement. Ugh, I feel horrible. Actually, am I bleeding? I try and move my arm but I find my arms aren’t obeying my commands.

And, oh god, I…I think my vision is starting to go dark. I just hope I didn’t split my head open when I hit the ground. And unfortunately all I can do right now is hope that someone sees me passed out here and helps me inside. Ugh, but based on what I’ve seen I don’t really have much faith in…in…