• Published 11th Nov 2016
  • 875 Views, 33 Comments

Equestria Discord 2: The Friendship Games - Epicdiscord214



What does Discord have to contribute to the Friendship Games? Read for yourself.

  • ...
2
 33
 875

Midnight Strikes

In the front of Canterlot High, the two schools were standing at opposite ends while Celestia, Luna, and Cadence were holding up two flags from the center.

"Welcome to the final event of the Friendship Games." Cadence said. "Somewhere on campus, two pennants from each school has been hidden. Whoever finds their school's flag and bring it back wins. We'll begin when both teams are ready."

"I don't think I want to play in the Friendship Games anymore." Fluttershy said.

"But we have to play." Rainbow Dash said. "It's the last event."

"Right now, I'm starting to think Discord's right about the games." Applejack said. "All they do is make things worse between us."

"And I feel really awful that I couldn't do anything." Sunset Shimmer said. "I couldn't just ask Scimitar what his father's up to, and worse, I said some mean stuff to Twilight. I really regret it."

"Yeah, especially since she didn't seem that bad of a person to begin with." Fluttershy added. That only made Sunset worse.

"Let's just finish this event and prove we're not a bunch of cheaters," Applejack said, "Then you can go and apologize to Twilight. After that, you should go talk to Scimitar."

Meanwhile, at the other side of the yard, the Shadowbolts had their attention towards Cinch while Tartus stood behind Twilight and Dawna slouched in the corner all sad. Twilight gestured Spike to stay hidden in the bushes.

"I know I'm asking you to beat a team that isn't playing fair," Cinch said, "But Canterlot High must be made to realize that even with magic at their disposal, defeating Crystal Prep is simply not an option."

"What if they grow wings again?" Sugarcoat asked

"A fair question," Cinch responded approaching Twilight, "Though, I believe we may be able to fight fire with fire."

Twilight and Dawna widened their eyes at the sound of it.

"What?" Twilight asked.

"I've seen what your device can do, Twilight. Containing magical energy is fine, but have you ever considered releasing it?"

"But... I don't know. I don't even know how it works."

"But you'd like to." Cinch said. "And since our opponents have already used magic to stay competitive, I see no reason why we shouldn't do the same."

"How about because they haven't used magic to win?" Dawna spoke up. That earned her all the eyes of Crystal Prep. "Principal Cinch, I understand you want to win, but I don't see any evidence that the Wondercolts were using magic to cheat! Besides, you're putting a student's safety at risk! We don't even know what the magic she has is capable of!"

"Dawna, I advise you to shut your mouth." Cinch warned.

"Why, because I'm talking sense while you're being stubborn?!" Dawna asked. "If I was principal of Crystal Prep..."

"But you're not!" Cinch argued. "Remember, I gave you this job and kept your little secret!"

"Secret?" Sunny Flare asked. "What secret?"

"None of your concern." Cinch said.

While the two adults were arguing, Twilight took a step back. She accidently bumped into Tartus.

"What's wrong, child?" Tartus asked.

"I... I don't know." Twilight answered. "Principal Cinch wants me to release the magic so we can win the Friendship Games, but Vice Principal Dawna says it's too dangerous. Not to mention that the magic seems to come from another world, and I can't control it, and..."

"Easy, Twilight, easy." Tartus calmed. "If you want my opinion... I think you should do it."

"What?" Twilight asked.

"I think you should unleash the magic." Tartus repeated. "But not for the sake of the games. Remember, I don't care who wins or who loses. All that matters to me is how big of an impact you make on the world. I mean, that's what you've wanted, right, to make sure you're acknowledged?"

"How do you know that?" Twilight asked.

"Because, believe it or not, I was just like you." Tartus said. "Time to put all cards on the table."

He removed his gloves and rolled up his sleeves. Twilight was shocked to see a set of arms that were made of black metal. The finger tips were sharp as sword points. What's more surprising to her was when Tartus slightly removed his eye bandages and revealed a mechanical robot eye with a red glow. He covered his metal parts again and faced a surprised Twilight.

"What the..." Twilight asked in shock.

"I understand you have many questions." Tartus said. "Let me keep this brief then. Like that Wondercolt with the red hair, I am not born of this world. I am from another."

"Really?" Twilight asked. "Are you from this... Equestria, too?"

"No." Tartus said. "I'm from an entirely different world. You see, when I was a child, I was gifted with great intellect. However, that didn't seem to be enough for everyone else. Growing up with such troglodytes wasn't easy, so I left to pursue my own genius. And now, I can never go back."

"Why not?"

"Let's not focus on that part. It's not important. But here's my point: I missed my chance to make them acknowledge me, but it's not too late for you. If you can unleash the magic, you will fully understand the magic you hold. And then, you can surpass all of Everton's advanced classes. Come on, Twilight. Your future's around the corner."

Twilight took a minute to think. She looked at Tartus and then at the Shadowbolts who were watching Cinch and Dawna arguing. She then decided to start walking forward nervously.

"Look, Cinch, it's obvious Twilight doesn't want to do this, so..."

"Uh, it doesn't look that way." Indigo Zap said pointing at Twilight.

"Twilight?" Dawna asked. "What's she doing?"

Twilight placed her fingers on the rim of the pendant when Dawna was about to shout.

"DON'T OPEN THAT THING!"

Everyone paused at the sound of it, including Dawna, who didn't say that. Everyone from both schools looked at the front and seeing Discord standing there panting and breathing heavily. Scimitar, Black Tie, and the computer club stood behind him.

"Discord? Scimitar? Black Tie? Ricky and the others?" Sunset asked. "What are you doing here?"

"That's what I'd like to know." Tartus growled glaring at his son.

"Twilight," Discord said walking toward her, "Just put that thing down and back away! Please, don't open that pendant! You gotta trust me!"

"What?" Twilight asked. "Why?"

"It's Tartus!" Discord pointed at the skinny villain. "He's the bad guy! He sabotaged the games and set us up for the fall!"

"It's true!" Scimitar shouted.

"What am I?" Tartus asked nervously. "What did I do? Don't you all miss the vivid imagination of childhood?"

"I never had one." Cinch said.

"An imagination or a childhood?" Tartus asked.

"You're not making any sense." Sunset said. "What are you talking about?"

"Listen to me." Ricky said. "The boys and I were investigating what was wrong with Discord's magic, and we found out that Tartus messed with it!"

"Twilight, don't listen to them." Cinch said. "Have you forgotten that most of them are from CHS? They're obviously just saying that to keep us from winning."

"How many times must I tell you all?" Discord asked. "THE GAMES DON'T MATTER! They never did, and that goes double for now! Twilight, if you unleash that magic, you're going to regret it!"

"Maybe..." Indigo Zap said, "Maybe we should hear him out."

"What?" Cinch asked.

"Yeah." Sour Sweet said. "Even though he's a lying sleezy eel, he might deserve to be heard."

"Are you all listening to yourselves?" Cinch asked. "Obviously, Discord's used his reality-warping magic to brainwash you, but I will not stand for this! Twilight, open that now!"

"Twilight, don't!" Scimitar shouted.

Hearing all the directives from different sides put Twilight in a cross hairs. She clutched onto her pendant without opening it not sure of what to do.

"OH, FOR GOODNESS SAKE!" Tartus shouted. He then pulled out his Golden Apple and pointed it at Twilight. Without any warning, yellow lightning burst out and hit Twilight causing her to drop her pendant.

"Ruh-roh!" Discord gasped.

As soon as the pendant hit the ground, the top popped open revealing the purple orb. It grew to tremendous size in an instand before everyone's eyes. Twilight's hand was caught in it and she was being pulled in. She tried to escape, or at least get someone else to help her, but no one would lift a hand.

"HELP ME!" Twilight cried out.

"WE'VE GOT TO SAVE HER!" Discord shouted.

But before anyone could step forward, yellow lightning shot out of the Golden Apple again and hit the front of everyone's feet.

"One step closer, and I won't miss!" Tartus warned.

Suddenly, the bright orb flashed brightly. When it dimmed down, everyone looked and saw Twilight, or at least, what she turned into. Her purple skin was darker than before and she wore an evil attire. A frightening glow surrounded her eyes. Evil wings and a dark horn escaped from her body. But the most vile feature yet was the demonic voice the laughed out.

"You were right, Sunset Shimmer! I didn't understand magic before... BUT I DO NOW!"

Right before everyone's eyes, a white blast escaped from her fingertips and hit the ground. It broke apart revealing a new background that Sunset recognized.

"Equestria!"

Twilight raised her hands and opened more portals out of destroying other pieces of the environment. Sunny Flare then caught sight of Cinch trying to escape.

"HEY! Where are you going?!"

"Anywhere to avoid that... monster! And I suggest you do the same!" Cinch turned back to her exit, but she was stopped when Tartus stood in front of her.

"Don't leave yet. You're missing out on the show."

"What's going on, Tartus!" Cinch shouted. "I thought we had an understanding!"

"An understanding?" Tartus laughed. He removed his bandages and sleeves revealing his mechanical parts. It frightened most of the people. "All you wanted to do with the magic is to win a game of 'capture the flag'! You're completely oblivious to the big picture! I mean, a fraction of the magic in this world is enough to turn Twilight Sparkle into... Midnight Sparkle!"

"Midnight Sparkle?" the purple she-demon asked descending herself to face Tartus. "I actually like the sound of that. Also, I want to thank you, Tartus. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be like this!"

"Much obliged, Midnight." Tartus said. "So, how about a faster way to destroy this world?"

"NO!"

Before Midnight Sparkle could face whoever shouted that, a white light blasted her. Suddenly, Midnight Sparkle found herself struggling against an unknown magic. Everyone looked and saw the light coming from Dawna's hands. There were also several markings made of light imprinted on her face.

"Vice Principal Dawna?" Sugar Coat asked. "What are you..."

"NO TIME TO EXPLAIN!" Dawna shouted. "I'm gonna try to remove the unstable magic from Twilight's body!"

"You can do that?" Discord asked.

"Oh, no, you don't!" Tartus shouted. He pointed the Golden Apple at her, but Creeper leaped up and landed on the apple startling Tartus. "YOU?! Get off of my apple!" He tried to shake him off, but Creeper held on.

"This apple rightfully belongs to Lord Kul'as!" Creeper shouted. "And I won't let go!"

Tartus looked and saw Midnight still having trouble with Dawna. He groaned before shouting.

"KIRA!"

Suddenly, a hooded figure jumped up from a rooftop and landed in front of Dawna. Her surprise broke her concentration and the light surrounding Midnight Sparkle vanished freeing her. The new figure had their whole body covered. The most noticeable thing about this person was the mask they were wearing, which looked like it had a serious face and there was a red circle painted on the mask's forehead.

"Who are you?" Dawna asked.

The masked figure didn't answer. Instead, they raised their arms and moved them around swiftly. Dawna was confused at first, but then, she noticed the black tentacle-like energy beams encircling her. She couldn't escape.

"Scimitar, who is that?" Sunset asked.

"I don't know. I've never seen that guy before!"

Meanwhile, Tartus grabbed Creeper and held him up. Creeper tried to escape, but Tartus held on tightly.

"You know what I did wrong when I imprisoned you? I let you keep your ability to speak! I won't make that mistake again!"

Tartus fired the Golden Apple at Creeper, who's flesh instantly changed to stone in his hand. He then turned to Dawna, who still couldn't escape the spiral around her. She froze when Tartus aimed the Golden Apple at her.

"I warned you not to stand in my way." Tartus said. "So let me show you the consequences! Let this be a lesson to..."

He was interrupted by a giant wad of cotton candy that was shot at his head. He looked and saw Discord hovering in the sky. He had a blue horn and an antler sticking from the top of his head, bird and bat wings on his back, and a red snake tail sticking from below his wings.

"You can pony up too?" Tartus asked. "How?"

"You may be crazy," Discord said, "But don't forget; I'm crazy too!"

"It doesn't matter!" Midnight Sparkle shouted. "I'll take care of him!"

"Twilight, snap out of it!" Discord shouted. "Don't you know what you're doing?"

"Oh, I know what I'm doing." Midnight Sparkle answered. "Equestria has more magic than I ever imagined. I want to see it for myself!"

"But you're destroying this world to get there!"

"So what? There's more magic there. And I want to understand it all! And I won't let you or anyone else stand in my way!"

"How about you cut out the chit-chat!" Discord shouted.

"Once I am done with you, I'll destroy this world to..."

"Ugh, chit-chat!" Discord interrupted.

"Destroy..." Midnight Sparkle tried to speak again.

"Chitty-chat-chitty-chat-chat-chat-chat!" Discord interrupted.

"...Destroy..."

"Chit-chat!" Discord mocked.

Midnight Sparkle attempted to blast Discord, but he created a brick wall that stopped the blast. He then tapped the wall to launch it towards her like a rocket. Midnight Sparkle dodged it and attempted another blast. Discord put on a baseball uniform and redirected the blast back with his bat. This time, the blast hit Midnight Sparkle creating a large smokescreen.

"Ooh, that's a short stop there!" Discord said making his baseball uniform disappear. Suddenly, Midnight Sparkle's hand reached out of the cloud and grabbed Discord's wrist. "Uh, oh!"

Midnight Sparkle flew across the field dragging Discord until she stopped and threw Discord to the Wondercolt statue shattering it on impact.

"You broke the statue?" Discord gasped. "The Wondercolt statue! Harsh!" With a snap of his fingers, several balls of light surrounded him. He pointed his fingers like pistols and made shooting gestures that made the lights fire at Midnight Sparkle. She covered herself with her wings to block the shots.

"They're neck-and-neck!" Scimitar said.

"I don't know whether to be nervous about Discord losing or excited about how awesome this fight is." Rainbow Dash said.

"Come on, Discord!" Fluttershy cheered softly. "You can do it?"

"Seriously?" Lemon Zest asked. "You're putting the fate of the world in his hands?"

"Of course, silly." Pinkie Pie said.

"Look," Rarity added, "I know Discord is mischievous, obnoxious, untrustworthy, irresponsible, loud, wicked, a trifle gassy..."

"Hey, I can still hear you!" Discord shouted still firing his light balls.

"But the truth is, no matter how bad he is, he does as much for the school as anyone else." Applejack said. She then emitted a feint glow the Scimitar noticed.

"What?" he thought to himself. "I thought the magic was gone."

Midnight Sparkle looked around while her wings blocked the attack. She knew they were at an impasse, so she had to find a way to tip the balance. Then, she caught sight of Creeper petrified in Tartus' hand. She then grinned and opened her wings once Discord stopped firing.

"All right!" Midnight Sparkle cried out. "My turn!"

"Bring it on!" Discord cried out. "I'm rubber and you're glue! Whatever you throw, I'll throw back and stick it to you!"

"We'll see about that!" Midnight Sparkle created a little orb of gray light and prepared to throw it. But instead of Discord, she turned and aimed it at the students. Discord panicked when Midnight threw the ball to their direction. He snapped his fingers and got in between them, but he didn't have time to redirect the attack. He got hit by the light's full force. His ponied-up parts disappeared as he hit the ground.

"Discord!" Fluttershy shouted. "Are you okay?"

"Nothing to worry about, everyone." Discord said getting back up. "I can still..." But he didn't move. He looked and his whole body was quickly becoming stone.

"Oh, no!" He tried to escape, but the petrification reached his arms before he could even turn his head. "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" And in less than a second, he was a mere statue.

"DISCORD!" Fluttershy shouted. She then turned to cry over Rainbow Dash's shoulder, who patted her on the back.

"No!" Sunset gasped. "No, no!"

"Oh, yes, yes, yes." Tartus replied. "Well done, Midnight Sparkle!"

"Thank you, Tartus! Now, about that quick way to destroy this world..."

"The key is to get to the right height." Tartus said. "If you're high enough, your magic can reach long distances." He then floated up. "I'll join you. Kira, disappear."

The two of them launched themselves straight into the cloudy sky while the masked figure ran and left. Canterlot High and Crystal Prep were left to surround Discord's statue.

"No." Sunset began to cry. "This... is all my fault."

"Sunset, you don't mean that." Scimitar said.

"YES, I DO!" Sunset Shimmer cried out. "I ran away from Equestria, I stole Princess Twilight's crown, I brought magic to this world, and now, Tartus and Midnight Sparkle are going to use that magic to destroy this whole world! And to top it off, the only person who can stop them can't even blink anymore! And it's all my fault. And I'm incapable to do anything about it."

When her tears started to fall, everyone else began to lower their heads. Scimitar was the only one who didn't lower anything. He stared at Sunset Shimmer and thought of something.

"Beautiful thing"

Everyone looked at the sound of that singing voice and was shocked when they saw it coming out of Scimitar's mouth. Sunset was the one who was most caught by the sound of it. Scimitar then continued singing.

"I see what is real

And here I sing

Telling you how I feel

If the world's in black and white

You bring color in our eyes

Even the moon shines in the night

As often as it can rise

So if the whole world

Starts to hate you

Just show them the girl

And do what you do

You are who you are

A sun up in the sky

And no matter how far

You held me up high"

He held onto Sunset's hand and helped her stand back up.

"I know you're somethiiiiiiiiing special

As you are

I know you're somethiiiiiiiiiiing special

Like a shining star"

Then, Sunset began to smile. And with that, the rest of the Rainbooms started to glow slightly as they looked happy to hear his words.

"So it is okay to share your love" Sunset sang.

"There's something speeeeecial" they both sang,

"Especially yoooooouuuuuuuu

I know you're somethiiiiiiiiing special

That is clear

I know you're somethiiiiiiiiing special

I'm glad you are here

So it is okay to share your love

There's something speeeeecial"

"Especially yooooouuuuuu" Scimitar sang.

"Ooooooooh, especially yooooouuuuuu" Sunset sang.

Suddenly, the lights escaped from the Rainbooms and hit Scimitar's back. When he looked at his hands, they were shining in a rainbow of colors. When he pointed his hands at a bent flower pedal, the glow allowed it to point straight back up.

"I didn't know you can conduct magic." Sunset Shimmer said.

"Neither did I." Scimitar said. "But I'll tell you what... This might be what we need. You want to do the honors."

Sunset Shimmer looked up at where Tartus and Midnight Sparkle flew up to. She put on a proud face and turned to Scimitar. "Pony me up like never before!"

Author's Note:

The final battle has begun.

The song featured here is a parody of "True Colors" from Trolls.