• Published 13th Nov 2016
  • 1,722 Views, 52 Comments

Two Kings And A Queen - Bluecatcinema



Sleight is left standing in the middle when an unwelcome face from Chrysalis's past arrives.

  • ...
5
 52
 1,722

On The Fence

The next morning, Chrysalis was still cold toward Sleight, getting out of bed without even looking at him.

"Good morning, Chrysalis." Sleight said half-heartedly.

"Hmph!" Chrysalis snorted, turning up her nose at him.

"You're not still sore about last night, are you?" Sleight sighed.

"Yes, I am." Chrysalis snarled, still not looking at Sleight. "I expected you to stand by my side in this trying time, not sympathize with the traitors."

"It's not like that-" Sleight groaned. "I just think that maybe we could-"

"Save it." Chrysalis sneered. "I don't want to hear any more of your ridiculous rationales."

"'Ridiculous?" Sleight frowned. "They're not ridiculous! They're perfectly…” Sleight struggled to find the right word. “Un-ridiculous!"

"I still don't want to hear any of it." Chrysalis insisted. "Now, I'm going to go check on the nursery. You... can do whatever you want, as long as it's not anywhere near me."

"Oh, don't be like that, Chrys!" Sleight groaned.

"I can be whatever I want to be." Chrysalis retorted. "I'm the Queen remember? And as long as I'm Queen of this hive, I will never allow another to challenge my decisions. Even you, my King." She spoke the last word with an undertone of venom.

"Chrysalis..." Sleight started.

"See you tonight." Chrysalis said coldly. "Or perhaps not, I don’t care."

Chrysalis departed the room, using her magic to slam the door on her way out.

"Great." Sleight bowed his head. "Just great. Way to go, Sleight. You couldn't have messed this up worse if you tried..."

Shortly after, Sleight left the room and encountered the trio.

"Everything okay, Sleight?" Sazh asked.

"Oh, just great... unless you count Chrysalis being steamed at me." Sleight frowned.

"What about?" Wizel asked.

"Oh, I only suggested that maybe, just maybe, joining our hive with Thorax's wouldn't be such a bad idea." Sleight declared.

"Oh, jeez." Char groaned. "What were you thinking?"

"I'll admit, that may not have been my best idea." Sleight confessed.

"No kidding..." Char snorted.

"On a scale of one to ten, how angry do you think she is?" Sazh asked.

"I'd say about a nine." Sleight cringed. "Maybe not as angry as she was at Thorax, but still pretty mad."

"Oh, you poor soul..." Wizel sighed. "Tartarus have no fury like a female scorned..."

"She'll cool off." Sleight shrugged, trying to convince himself more than the others. "Just gotta give her some time."

"I hope so, buddy." Sazh said supportively. "I'd love to stay and chat, but I'm off to visit Maud."

"What a coincidence." Wizel mused. "I'm going to see Sapphire today."

"And I thought I'd drop by Cloudzzzdale to zzzee Fleetfoot." Char added.

“Really? All three of you are taking the day off?” Sleight frowned. “This wouldn’t happen to be because you don’t want to be anywhere near this hive for a while, would it?”

"Maybe a little." Sazh cringed.

"All thizzz drama izzz driving me nutzzz." Char admitted. "I have to get away for a while."

"As do I." Wizel agreed. “I’m sorry, Sleight, but the best thing for all of us is to try and steer clear of the hive for as long as we can.”

"I don't blame ya." Sleight empathized. "You go and have a good time with your gals. Who knows? Maybe me and Chrysalis will have settled things by the time you're back."

"I hope you're right." Wizel smiled.

"Stranger things have happened." Sazh declared.

"Zzzee ya later." Char nodded, giving Sleight a sympathetic frown. “I wizzzh you luck, if it helpzzz.”

“Thanks, Char.” Sleight frowned. “But I doubt luck is on my side right now.”

"I wouldn't be so sure." Sazh smiled. "You've pulled off things that were way harder before."

"Indeed." Wizel nodded. "No matter how angry she is, Chrysalis still loves you, Sleight. It may take a while, but this will all blow over."

"Thanks, guys." Sleight smiled. "And... y'know, have fun with your girls."

"We zzzhall." Char nodded.

Sleight watched the trio depart, feeling slightly envious that they weren't going through the kind of relationship drama he was at the moment.

'Lucky stiffs...' He thought.

The drama wasn't just confined to the royal tower. Tensions were high all over the hive. The knowledge that Thorax and his advisors were still nearby had most of the Changelings constantly on alert, fearful for the moment when the outsiders pushed Chrysalis over the edge somehow. They were terrified that the entire hive would pay the price for her rage. As such, most Changelings were resentful of Thorax for intruding upon their newly-reacquired peace.

"Why are they still waiting out there?" Hopper, a drone, griped. "Are they trying to get Chrysalis to blow her top?"

"I wouldn't put it past them." Fugax, a soldier, scoffed. "If half the stories we've been told about those traitors is true, we need to steer clear of them."

"Yeah, we don't want them to steal another hive." Bullet, a scout, growled.

"Now, now. That's enough." An even-tempered nurse named Maid declared. "They don't seem so bad to me."

"Appearances can be deceiving." Fugax snorted. "Besides, those guys are a little too colorful for me..."

"The same could be said for ponies." An older Changeling by the name of Shed pointed out. "And we're at peace with them now, remember?"

"It's not the same thing." Hopper declared. "Ponies are ponies. These guys used to be like us... until they betrayed the Queen."

"They still are like us." Maid pointed out. "Just a little more... vibrant."

"You're telling me." A flamboyant Changeling by the name of Slinker grinned. "All those amazing hues and shades. I wouldn't mind getting a fabulous new color scheme myself!"

"Don't talk like that, you idiot!" Hopper yelled. "Especially not out in the open! If Chrysalis ever found out you spoke such a thing... well, let's just say things will get pretty 'un-fabulous' for you very quickly."

"Spoilsport..." Slinker pouted.

"I just don't understand why the Queen continues to hate them." Shed sighed. "They seem perfectly friendly to me."

"They don't belong here." Bullet declared. "They should just leave."

"And I suppose you're going to make them?" Maid jabbed.

"Well, someone should." Fugax snarled. "Or must I remind you what happened when we only just managed to set up in the caverns after our failed attempt on the Crystal Empire? Chrysalis heard about Thorax and his hive helping out with the rebuilding, and almost caused a cave-in!”

"And right after we got settled into this hive, she saw a bunch of them flying overhead, and went totally ballistic." Bullet groaned. "There were lasers flying everywhere!"

"To be fair, they weren't to know they were intruding on our airspace." Shed pointed out.

"What about the time Chrysalis heard that Thorax was attending a summit in Canterlot?" Hopper frowned. "She blasted away part of her tower! The debris early squished me flat..."

"And what about the time she lost it and blasted a whole corner of the hive?" Fugax growled. "All because she saw some of those multi-colored freaks hanging around nearby?"

“...Wait, wasn’t that because some Parasprites got into our fruit stores?” Slinker pointed out.

“Oh, yeah.” Fugax mused, before scowling. “But my point still stands! Look what she did to the observatory!”

“To be fair, that place was already in shambles before Chrysalis blew it up.” Shed frowned. “But I suppose you're right in that regard.”

“Exactly.” Fugax crossed his hooves. “As of now, our Queen is a ticking time bomb. And if Thorax and his colorful clots don’t get lost… well, let’s say the viral outbreak would pale in comparison...”

"We can only hope it doesn't come to that." Maid sighed. "And that one or both of them come to their senses."

"It had better be Thorax." Bullet spat. "For all our sakes..."

Meanwhile, Glinda was having some very different problems of her own. The idea of what it could be like to take on a form like Thorax and his followers had taken hold of her and refused to let go.

It wasn't just the more aesthetically pleasing colors that appealed to her. She was interested in the fact that the transformed state lacked fangs. Though Glinda had kissed Vito many times and enjoyed it, she felt that he fangs left her lip movements limited. It was strangely frustrating for Glinda to know that she could only kiss him in a certain way without having her fangs obstructing the process.

The night before, she had actually dreamt of taking on such a form, an emerald green form so beautiful, it inspired awe and wonder in all who saw her... especially Vito. Despite her coltfriend's assurance that he loved her for what was on the inside, Glinda couldn't help but feel like he would love her even more if she were the kind of vibrant, colorful Changeling that was no doubt found in abundance within Thorax's hive.

However, the dream had quickly turned into a nightmare, with Chrysalis appearing before her, enraged by her transformation.

"You are not my daughter!" The dream Chrysalis had roared, suddenly joined by several disapproving Changelings. "You're nothing but a traitor to your own hive! I hereby banish you!"

"No, please!" Glinda had begged. She'd turned to a vision of Sleight. "Sleight, don't let this happen!"

The Sleight vision bowed his head sadly, and vanished into the darkness, leaving only Chrysalis and her irate subjects to glare at Glinda.

A powerful gust of wind had then blown Glinda away from them all, and she was swallowed up by the darkness. That was the moment she awoke, drenched in cold sweat.

'What if it happens for real?' She asked herself, as she walked glumly through the hive. 'What if Chrysalis and the other Changelings call me a traitor for even thinking of transforming? I don't want to leave my home. But I can't stop thinking about making that choice...'

Glinda was left to reflect on those uncertain thoughts alone. Vito and his brother Pureblood were visiting their grandfather over in Ponyville, meaning he couldn't come to visit her. If ever there was a time Glinda needed her coltfriend’s support, it was now.

'Oh, V.' Glinda sighed internally. 'What should I do?'

Over by the Pie family rock farm, Maud Pie was examining some igneous stones when Sazh descended upon her.

"Hi, Maud." Sazh smiled as he landed beside her.

"Hello, Sazh." Maud gave him a small smile of her own. "Great to see you. It's always great to see you."

"Aw, you always know just what to say to me." Sazh grinned. "You're the sweetest mare I've ever met."

"I try." Maud nodded. Her expression lowered by the tiniest fraction. "...Is something wrong?"

"Wrong? What could be wrong?" Sazh said awkwardly. "When I'm with you, everything's so right."

"Don't lie to me, Sazh." Maud told him. "I'm very good at picking up on emotions, you know."

"It's... not really a problem you need to concern yourself with." Sazh shook his head.

"It might make you feel better to let it all out. I'm a really good listener, you know." Maud held up a small rock. "And so is Boulder."

"Okay." Sazh sighed. "The truth is, those other, more colorful Changelings have come to the hive, looking to unite our two hives. Chrysalis is by no means happy about it, and it's got the whole hive on edge I just had to get away. So I came to see you. Being with you always makes me feel better."

"I feel the same way." Maud nuzzled him. "The colorful Changelings, you say? I've heard about them."

"You have?" Sazh frowned. "You never mentioned it before."

"I prefer to stay out of politics." Maud shrugged. "But I did hear how they started out looking like you, then transformed when they gave out the love within them. ...Would you ever do that?"

"I don't know, to be honest." Sazh shrugged. "On the one hoof, looking a little more unique would be kinda nice. But on the other, I'm pretty sure I'd lose all the respect of my hivemates I've managed to build up these past few years…"

"I guess that makes sense." Maud mused. "I know you went to so much trouble to earn acceptance. I'd hate to see that taken away from you."

"So would I." Sazh agreed.

"But you know, I would accept you no matter what." Maud smiled. She nuzzled Sazh again, then held up her pet rock. "And Boulder would, too."

"Thanks, Maud." Sazh beamed, kissing her on the cheek. "Thanks, Boulder." He petted the rock for good measure.

"Would you like to come inside for some pebble stew?" Maud asked.

"That sounds great." Sazh nodded, having gotten used to the Pie family's... unique culinary style. "I hope you have seconds."

"Just so long as you leave some for Boulder." Maud smiled.

"Like I'd ever forget him." Sazh chuckled.

Meanwhile, Char flew up to Cloudsdale, straight to Wonderbolts headquarters. Fleetfoot was stretching out by the practice course. He took a moment to appreciate her slender, athletic body.

"Having a marefriend with a zzzoft, flezzzhy body doezzz have itzzz advantagezzz." Char smirked.

After having his fill of eye candy, Char flew down to his marefriend.

"Good morning, my zzziren of the zzzkiezzz." He purred.

"Hey, Char." Fleetfoot smirked. "I hope you enjoyed the show."

"Wait, you-" Char gaped, flustered.

"Knew you were watching the whole time? Yes." Fleetfoot chuckled.

"Well, you can't really blame me, can you?" Char said boldly.

"Nah." Fleetfoot admitted. "I put a lot of work into sculpting this bod. And I enjoy a little appreciation... especially when it's coming from my main squeeze."

"Zzzpeaking of zzzqueeze..." Char embraced her. "I've really been needing one of thezzze."

"That's my big ol' cuddlebug." Fleetfoot sighed. "Let me guess... hard times at the hive? Rebuilding a total pain?"

"Actually, no." Char shook his head. "There'zzz another problem. We were vizzzited by the Thorax hive."

"You mean those Changelings with all the colors?" Fleetfoot asked.

"Oh, zzzo you know of them?" Char mused. "Good. Zzzaves me the effort of explaining."

"I only know a little about them." Fleetfoot shrugged. "Honestly, looking at them kinda hurts my eyes.”

“Tell me about it.” Char scoffed. “It’s like zzzomepony threw a couple canzzz of paint all over them. I know that we Changelingzzz weren’t the friendliezzzt bunch, but I am really grateful that I wazzz not there when that whole Thorax thing went down. I might have actually went along with it.”

“...But would you do it now?” Fleetfoot frowned.

"Of courzzze not." Char snorted. "I don’t know what rhetoric Thorax zzzpouted back then that convinced the whole lot of them to convert, but my loyalty izzz to the Queen. I am a proud Changeling zzzoldier, not zzzome four-legged peacock! Bezzzides, that would mean giving up all of my battle zzzcars!” He gestured to the many scratches and scars on his shell. “Zzzcarzzz I've accumulated through a lifetime of combat."

"They do make you look pretty rugged." Fleetfoot grinned. "I like my guy to be tough and strong, not bright and fancy."

"Zzzo, we are in agreement?" Char asked.

"You bet your shell we are." Fleetfoot grinned. "Now, what say we take a little flight around the course?"

"With pleazzzure." Char grinned.

"Try and keep up." Fleetfoot teased, taking off.

"Like I'd let that lovely flank out of my zzzight." Char grinned, following her.

Over in Fillydelphia, Wizel made his way into a dance studio, heading into the back corridors, straight for a door with a large golden star on it.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa." A burly red Earth Pony stallion with a brown mane and eyes and Cutie Mark of a brick stepped in front of the door. "Can I help you, pal?"

"Not especially." Wizel retorted. "I'm here to see Ms. Shores."

"I'm afraid Sapphire Shores is far too busy-" The stallion started.

The door opened, and Sapphire Shores' head peeked out.

"It's okay, Brick." She smiled. "Let him pass."

"Um... yes, ma'am." Brick stepped aside.

"Thank you." Wizel smirked, stepping through the door and closing it behind him.

"Hey, baby." Sapphire smiled. "How's my favorite golden oldie?"

"All the better for seeing you, my dear." Wizel kissed her.

"You old charmer." Sapphire returned the kiss.

"How was your latest performance?" Wizel asked.

"Sen-saaaa-tion-al!" Sapphire whooped.

"That's what I love about you, my darling." Wizel smiled. "You're so full of life."

"Guilty as charged." Sapphire nodded. "Now, enough about me. What's going on with you and your hive?"

"Some serious matters, I'm afraid." Wizel sighed. "King Thorax came to the hive, making offers of unity. Chrysalis did not take it well."

"Thorax? The King of all those dayglow Changelings?" Sapphire noted. "I think I performed a concert at their hive once. Great crowd."

"Alas, the same can't be said of my hive." Wizel declared. "Chrysalis insisted on having nothing to do with Thorax. And since the others were indoctrinated with her bias towards him, there is very little support overall. Sleight is trying his best to mediate matters, but is getting nowhere fast."

"That's too bad." Sapphire stroked his cheek comfortingly.

"I fear the worse, Sapphire." Wizel sighed. "This rift between our hives has lasted far too long already. If things go awry, it could turn into something far more unpleasant."

"Don't think like that." Sapphire urged him. "You gotta hope for the best. Like that song of mine, 'Hope Is In Your Heart'."

"That was a pretty catchy tune." Wizel admitted. "And such a wonderful message."

"I think I know what can take your mind off things." Sapphire grinned.

"Oh, what?" Wizel asked.

Smirking widely, Sapphire whispered something into Wizel's ear.

"Yes, that would do the trick." Wizel laughed saucily.

"I'm gonna make all your troubles disappear." Sapphire giggled. "Just you wait and see..."

Sapphire led Wizel out of the room.

"We're just... going out for lunch, Brick." Sapphire told the bemused bouncer. "Be back soon..."

"Or not..." Wizel smirked, as Sapphire led him down the quickest path to her hotel room.

Back at the hive, Chrysalis was still keeping her distance from Sleight, attending to whatever royal business ensured she would be as far from him as possible. If they did happen to cross paths, she steadfastly ignored him. Sleight was dismayed at her rejection, but a part of him was also growing frustrated with her stubbornness towards the whole matter of Thorax and his hive.

'Why can't she at least consider the idea?' He thought to himself. 'Why can't she just let bygones be bygones, like Char? The guy used to hate me, but he got over it, in way less time than Chrysalis has held that grudge on Thorax. Sure, Thorax took almost her entire hive away from her, but she has a new one now! And she has me! Why does she have to be so stubborn?'

Sleight desperately needed to talk with someone about things, but Sazh, Char and Wizel were all out seeing their marefriends, and he felt Glinda was a little too young to burden with his woes. Most of the hive seemed like they were on Chrysalis's side. Sleight was aware that they didn't all feel that way, but it wasn't like he could just walk around and ask each individual Changeling if they were sympathetic to Thorax's hive. It would no doubt sow distrust for their King among his subjects, and if Chrysalis caught wind of it, she would become even more outraged.

'Looks like the only guy I can talk to about this whole "Thorax" mess... is Thorax.' Sleight concluded. 'Sure, why not? Just have to sneak outside the hive without anypony noticing, then walk up to the guy and say "hi, how ya doin'?"' He sighed deeply. 'Better than stewin' in silence, I guess...'

Sleight slipped around the back of the tower, then threw a card up into the sky and over the wall, using his magic to turn it into a portal. He quickly threw another card at the wall, making another portal. He leapt through it, and emerged out of the one in the air, dropping down on a thorn bush.

"Ow..." He winced, trying to stay quiet despite the pain. "Need to work on that landing."

Sleight pulled himself out of the bush, and made his way around the wall. Once he reached the front, he saw Thorax's camp; a small group of shelters formed out of branches and leaves.

"Nice place." He mused as he approached.

Thorax and his advisors were roasting chestnuts over a campfire when Sleight arrived. They all glanced up in surprise.

"Uh... hey, there." Sleight waved awkwardly. "Sorry to interrupt. Looks like good eats. Is that a late lunch, or an early dinner?"

"King Sleight." Thorax declared. "I'm... surprised to see you here. ...Is Chrysalis with you?"

"No, I just wanted to have a little one-to-one with you." Sleight declared. "You know, King to KIng."

"I see." Thorax mused. He turned to his advisors. "Could you... give us a few moments, please?"

"Of course, your highness." Buzzwing bowed.

The advisors stepped away from the fire.

"And save me some chestnuts, would you, Wallcrawler?" Thorax smiled at an advisor who shared his color scheme.

"Yes, sire." Wallcrawler nodded, as he and the others headed to their shelters.

"I gotta say, your advisors seem like a nice bunch." Sleight smiled.

“So do yours.” Thorax smiled back. “I have to say, the years have been kind to those three. Sazh is now your advisor, Wizel seems happier than he has in years, and Char… well, I hear he’s in a relationship with a Wonderbolt. The Char I knew back then would have thrown himself off a cliff before doing that.”

“Well, I won’t lie, it did take Char a long while.” Sleight cringed, recalling Char’s abandonment of the hive all those years ago, before smiling. “But yeah. Those three are the best pals I could ever ask for. Unfortunately, today they’re off on… personal business.”

“I see.” Thorax nodded. “So... what is it you want to talk to me about? I don't think you came all the way out here just for a little chat."

"Far from it." Sleight agreed. "I just... wanted to talk more about what you said before. About joining our hives together."

"You do?" Thorax tilted his head quizzically. "Something tells me Chrysalis is unaware of your decision."

"Yeah, she is." Sleight nodded.

"So she hasn't changed her stance?" Thorax sighed. "That's a shame. But I can't really say I'm surprised.... Chrysalis knows how to hold onto a grudge."

"Before recently, I'd have had to take your word for it." Sleight frowned. "But considering what she's been like these last couple of days, I'd have to agree with you."

"Chrysalis was once just one of many who despised my existence." Thorax recalled. "I never really fit in with the hive as it was back then. Not having the same desire to deceive and overcome others to steal their love, I was a misfit, an outcast. A lowly drone with an unacceptable mindset."

"But you wound up making good, didn't you?" Sleight pointed out. "You did that... metamorphosis thing, and wound up becoming a King." He then frowned, confused. "Why is that, by the way? Why did you become this tall, moose-like guy, while all the others didn't change nearly as much?"

"I'm not quite sure." Thorax shrugged. "Maybe all the love I'd gained during my time at the Crystal Empire resulted in a greater transformation. Or maybe, somehow, I had something in me. Something that needed that 'spark' to trigger the greater change."

"Maybe." Sleight shrugged.

"I went from lowly drone to new King in an instant." Thorax declared. "I'd only returned to the hive in the first place to help save the Changelings' captives, but I ended up leading most of the hive down a new path. I never imagined returning to the hive would end like that."

"I can relate." Sleight nodded. "Before I came here, I was just some washed-up carnival magician. Then I wound up dragged into a fight against a bunch of psycho racists, saved the whole hive, and was made King for my troubles. I never really believed in fate, but over the years, I've come to think that maybe, just maybe, this was my destiny."

"I've considered that destiny may have played a part in my life path too." Thorax admitted. "Like maybe I was meant to be different than the others, meant to transform, meant to lead the others into a new era."

"I guess we both know what it's like to find a way of life for ourselves." Sleight smiled.

"The only difference is, your new way of life led you to Chrysalis, while mine led me away from her." Thorax noted. "I may want to bring our hives back together, but I believe firmly that I did the right thing in taking charge of the old hive. I'm just sorry Chrysalis couldn't see that herself. That she was blinded by her own hate..."

"I hope you understand the big chance I'm taking, coming out here and talking to you." Sleight frowned, not liking where the conversation was going. "I'm just lucky Chrysalis is giving me the cold shoulder, or I'd never have managed to slip away. That gal has eyes in the back of her head. Well, not literally, but she does have that... twisty neck of hers. One night, I tried to sneak out to a poker game, and just as I was about to slip past her and get to the door, she just snapped her head right around and caught me out." He shuddered. "Nearly gave me a freakin' heart attack…"

"You have no idea." Thorax frowned. "Chrysalis always sent a shiver of intimidation down my exoskeleton. She was my mother, and yet, the very sight of her terrified me. Her anger, her wrath... I was always terrified of incurring it."

Sleight clenched his front pony hoof slightly. He knew that particular feeling all too well.

"That's... rough, pal." He muttered.

"It wasn't exactly an ideal childhood." Thorax sighed. "I always felt like Chrysalis knew I wasn't like the others. I may have been terrified of her, but she was still my mother, and I still craved her approval for many years. But I never got it, and probably never will..."

"I know how that feels." Sleight admitted. "I always wanted my dad's approval, but for most of my life, he treated me like garbage. Little wonder I ran off to join the circus once I was old enough..."

"That's another thing we have in common." Thorax noted. "Abusive parents."

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, back up there a moment!” Sleight snapped out of his stupor, glaring at Thorax. "I know Chrysalis may have given you a hard time and she is currently being difficult, but Chrysalis is nothing like what my father was back then! I've seen her with those hatchlings and all the young larvae. She has been nothing but a caring and loving mother! Hell, we kinda have a child together. Glinda, very cute kid!”

"Of course she has." Thorax frowned. "She probably don't consider any of them a 'problem child'. As long as her children fall in line, she's perfectly happy with them. But if one steps out of line..."

"Maybe she was like that back in your day, but not any more." Sleight insisted. "She's changed."

"So I've heard… but I have yet to see any of these changes." Thorax shook his head. “When I heard that she had agreed to a peace treaty with Celestia and that husband of hers, I was elated at the thought that there would be peace for my former brethren. When I heard that she had taken a pony for a husband, I was ecstatic. It seemed like Chrysalis’s heart had finally softened after all these years. That's when I decided that I wanted to speak to her again. That was when I started sending her those invitations. But when that didn’t work, and the cold snap happened, I decided to take matters into my own hooves and finally settle our differences. I had high hopes that Chrysalis would agree to reuniting our hives… but apparently, that heart of hers hasn’t softened enough.”

"I'm sorry, Thorax." Sleight sighed.

"Don't be." Thorax declared. "This problem started long before you became King. And it looks like it will continue, despite our best hopes."

"For what it's worth, not all the hive agrees with Chrysalis." Sleight declared. "I know there are a few who actually want to give you guys a chance. But most of them are too afraid of what Chrysalis might think to do anything."

"I know that feeling." Thorax mused. "I'd never want a fellow Changeling to go through what I did."

"You're a good guy, Thorax." Sleight admitted.

"So are you, Sleight." Thorax smiled. "If there's one good thing that came out of this trip, it was meeting you. It's good to know I'm not the only Changeling King around."

"Not even close." Sleight chuckled. "...And you know what? I'm not giving up on this. I'm going to keep trying to get through to Chrysalis. If she could accept the ponies after all those years of strife, she can accept you. And I'm going to make that happen."

"Thank you, Sleight." Thorax smiled. "You sure know how to lift some spirits."

"No problem." Sleight chuckled. He noticed the sun starting to set. "I'd better head back. Chrysalis may be avoiding me, but I'm thinking she'll definitely notice if I'm not around for bedtime. And I think it's in all our best interests if this little meeting stays between us for now."

"My thoughts exactly." Thorax nodded. "Good luck, Sleight."

"Thanks, big guy." Sleight grinned as he departed the camp. His smile faded once he was out of sight. "Because I'm going to need all the luck in Equestria to pull this off..."

Sleight returned to the hive the same way he entered, slipping back into the tower without incident. A short while later, Wizel, Sazh and Char returned.

"Hey, guys." Sleight smiled. "How was your day?"

"Pretty great." Sazh smiled.

"Quite productive." Wizel declared.

"Really fun." Char smirked.

"Glad you guys had fun with your gals." Sleight sighed.

"Chrysalis still giving you the cold shoulder?" Sazh frowned.

"Sub-zero." Sleight nodded sadly.

"That niece of mine can be quite stubborn." Wizel sighed. "Give her time, though. She can't stay mad at you forever."

"Juzzzt keep your chin up." Char urged. "Thingzzz will get better."

"Thanks, guys." Sleight smiled weakly. "Here's hopin'..."

That night, Sleight got into bed, Chrysalis joining him in silence.

"Chrysalis?" He asked.

"Hmph." Chrysalis snorted.

"Chrysalis, I'm sorry about what I said last night." Sleight apologized. "Are you really just going to ignore me for the rest of our marriage?"

"We'll see." Chrysalis said coldly.

"That's just wrong." Sleight smiled, as he gently placed his hooves on her shoulders. "Because if you keep looking away from me, how will I ever see that gorgeous face again?"

"More flattery?" Chrysalis shrugged off his hooves. "What do you take me for?"

"Just my beautiful, amazing Queen." Sleight purred. "I'd really like to see that smile of yours right now."

Unseen by Sleight, Chrysalis smiled lightly.

"Come on, Chrys." Sleight urged. "Without you, this whole day has been the pits. Don't make me go through another without you."

"What's it gonna take to make this better?" Sleight asked. "I'll handle all the inspections tomorrow. I'll listen to all the requests for assistance from our subjects. You name it. Just please don't be mad at me any more."

Chrysalis slowed rolled over to face Sleight.

"I'm not mad at you, Sleight." She sighed. "This whole Thorax situation has me on edge. I just need to know you can support me through this trying time."

"Always." Sleight nodded. "I promise."

"Thank you, Sleight." Chrysalis smiled, embracing him.

"There's that smile." Sleight grinned, returning the hug. "I've missed that."

"I missed you too." Chrysalis sighed. "It was hard work, ignoring you all day."

"It was hard work being ignored." Sleight pointed out.

"I know, and I'm sorry." Chrysalis apologized. "Perhaps tomorrow, we just forget about today, and start fresh?"

"Music to my ears." Sleight kissed her. "Good night, Chrys."

"Good night, my love." Chrysalis nuzzled against him.

In mere seconds, Chrysalis fell asleep. Sleight stroked her mane gently. He had managed to finally stoke his wife's temper, but he knew there was more work to be done. He fully intended to fulfill his pledge to Thorax. He just had to go about it a different way.

'But for now, I think I can enjoy this little return to normalcy.' He thought happily.

Sleight soon joined his wife in slumber, his hooves still wrapped around her as he snored lightly.